Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

We Need to Stop the Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 9:20am
Dinasor Flu?  Hey, they became birds, you could be right on the moneyl How do you spell dinasour??

Edited by siameselade
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 9:28am

Welcome Lee2,

I completely understand.  It's a tough choice, especially when space is tight... and being in the middle of a housing transition.

If you have some space under the bed, I would store as much water, canned food (soup, meat/chili, fruit, veggies, etc.),  and dry goods (rice, beans, flour, etc.) as you can.  I would also add some spices/flavorings (brown gravy mix, bouillon, etc.) to mix it up a bit.  If you have a nearby water source (lake, stream) maybe a purifier and collapsible containers will save some space.  I would also add a basic first aid kit along with extra  toiletries and any special meds necessary.

Cooking. and Heating (if necessary):  Not easy if you do not have a fireplace or wood stove.  Maybe some extra coleman fuel (kerosene) for your camping stove if you have a safe place to store it (shed or garage).  Not so small, but a possible option for heating would be a kerosene heater.

And last, but not least, is protection!  A touchy subject... and with several topics here discussing this issue, you can decide how far to take it.

This is what I consider the bare minimum.

I hope it helps.  Good Luck!

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
FlulessinDC View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlulessinDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 9:57am

Dinosaur...  not that it makes any difference to them

Actually, a pretty novel idea about a virus rubbing them out...  I mean the mortality rate for H5N1 in chickens is 100% - why not dinosaurs?

~Fluless

No plan of battle ever survives contact with the enemy.
Heinz Guderian

Plans are nothing; planning is everything.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 10:06am

Yes, good plot line, just everyone knows the ending

Welcome Lee2 I hope you enjoy reading our forum. I have got food stashed in my front room closet as well as everywhere else I can think.

Lee2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 11:31am

Thanks guys for the welcome!  You all have great advise and I really have enjoyed reading on this forum.  The water filter might be a good choice for us.  I so need to get busy and prepare!  Don't even know what's out there yet. 

Going to go out this weekend and get busy with storing.  Will start with dry goods and canned.  Anything is better than nothing.  We might get our house sold soon - had an offer (not the best one, though).  I'd really rather be in a house if this thing goes south.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 12:17pm

Welcome Lee2....hope all goes well with you and the beginning of prep,s hard choices..between the gut and the space and money crunch..have been there and done alot of that...but no hubby on the sceen here so I have had free rein...if you plan on a move to a new house some where close in time might I suggest boxing up the canned foods...get boxes that are sturdy and not all the big and you can make up furniture with them..night stands in teenagers rooms...a tv stand..kinda cool if you tell them they are filled with food,but no munching through the night...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 2:47pm
LagrangeCalvert View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LagrangeCalvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 3:07pm
Rick, how do you get the nice white background on your C&P's?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 3:16pm

Lee2,

Check out the Dollar Store. Lots of prep stuff for a buck.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic