Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

OT: Gas prices in your area?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT: Gas prices in your area?
    Posted: November 06 2007 at 8:50am
With oil at $97 a barrel, AAA is forecasting gas prices to climb to over $4.00 a gallon (on average) within the next 6 months.   They're also predicting a 15 cent increase over the next few days.  

In southern California, the lowest prices are currently at around $3.10.   

Anyone else seeing an increase? 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 9:02am
We are paying 3.15 in Indiana.

Ive heard that we dont have a gas shortage. Its just speculation in the market that is driving up prices. I have to assume that people are speculating that American is going to bomb Iran.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 10:36am
It's sitting at an average of $3.00 a gallon here in MN.

Out there in Kalifornistan you guys have that whole Taxation Nightmare thing going on. The price here when you guys in Southern Kalifornistan were paying nearly four dollars per gallon was appx. .40-.60 cents less. Still too damn much, but not as bad.

The taxes per gallon here is about $.65 per gallon and they're talking about raising it. That's bad economic policy, but that's just my opinion. What is the tax per gallon there?
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 12:49pm
It is around $2.00 a litre here in the UK for dieasel

DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 2:19pm
$3.25 in central IND.Cry
WHAT TO DO????
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 2:53pm
I avoid buying gas for the car. So I got no idea what the price is at the moment. Think last month it was around 3.25 a gallon. I filled the tank and stayed home.
I refuse to spend money if I don't need to buy the gas.
I just keep tank full for emergencys. Now heating the house is a whole other thing. I think we need to turn down the thermostats this winter and conserve. Out comes my down blanket to watch tv on cold nights. And I don't mind a cool house but not a cold one. I have put up inserts on our windows. They are framed plastic inserts.
Fit and install quite nicely. And save lots of heat from being lost out the window. Few years back my landlord put in new windows. And they are suppose to be the type that are thermal. On Really cold nights we put a curtain over the front porch door we dont use. It keeps drafts out. lots of little things we can do to conserve.

PrepGirl
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 3:17pm
We are currently paying $2.99 a gallon for regular unleaded here in OK. DH and I drive two vehicles (and 100 miles between us) to get to and from work each day.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 3:32am
Upstate NY- a little over $3.00 a gallon.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 4:54am
In Las Vegas it is at $3.05 a gallon.  The temps have been in the mid 80's with lows at mid 50's, so no need to turn on the heater.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson.
Pebbles19 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

With oil at $97 a barrel, AAA is forecasting gas prices to climb to over $4.00 a gallon (on average) within the next 6 months.   They're also predicting a 15 cent increase over the next few days.  

In southern California, the lowest prices are currently at around $3.10.   

Anyone else seeing an increase? 

Yes ALbert
Up to $3.60 a gallon in san diego and said it will even go higher....
hugs :o)
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 5:44am
Hi Pebbles, Hope you are doing ok with everthing and getting back to normal!
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 8:37am
    Here in Northern California it's running about $3.25.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 11:18am
Reg $2.67 in NJ
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 4:03pm
unleaded regular $2.95 in vegas.
Dijoy View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 5:35pm
There was some comment in England but we are to have free bus passes from next April for all over the country so we pensioners are lucky
Diane
Diane
gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 6:01pm
I paid $3.15 a gallon today in California....
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Dijoy Dijoy wrote:

There was some comment in England but we are to have free bus passes from next April for all over the country so we pensioners are lucky
Diane

Diane when the pensioners in my area of the uk got free travel passes the kids bus fare went up by 20 pence a journey and my fares went up by 30 pence per journey.
I dont drive cant afford to run a car & dont think it is fair that pensioners have free passes I think that they and school kids should pay a nominal fare, this would also stop poor paying bus routes from being removed.
Bus companys dont go off how many passengers use a bus but how much profit they are making each day. So if your bus route is used mainly by pensioners it will be that bus route that will be first to be removed when they are feeling the economical pinch.   
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 5:34am
We're up another .06 cents to $3.16 for reg unleaded.   Again- that's the cheapest. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 6:21am
We in West Virginia, have some of the highest gas prices in the nation. Seeing as the cost of living here is extremely reasonable the only non-logical reason as to why they charge such prices for gas here, is because "they can." The almost $100/barrel price of oil sustains Russia and has driven oil company and Middle Eastern oil producers profits through the roof. Form your own conclusions.

MC
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 6:30am
New 'disaster' movie warns world of oil apocalypse
The latest gloves-off documentary to hit screens predicts a global meltdown as vital fuel runs out
Robin McKie, science editor The Observer Sunday November 4 2007
Oil is 'the bloodstain of the earth's economy' and will soon trigger a global conflict that will cost millions of lives. That is the stark claim of a controversial new film, which says a crash in oil production is about to set off worldwide recession and economic collapse.

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash, which opens in UK cinemas this week, shows stark images of rusting Texan and Venezuelan wells and fuel riots in Asia and Africa. Such scenes will be repeated thousands of times around the planet in the near future, argue the film's makers, who say the world is facing changes 'more frightening than a horror movie'.

The film is the latest of several polemical documentaries to achieve nationwide release. Others include Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, Michael Moore's Sicko, and the forthcoming Darfur Now, in which Don Cheadle provides a voice-over about the Sudanese civil war.

However, A Crude Awakening has had a boost not available to the rest. Just as its screenings were scheduled to begin here, crude oil prices soared to their highest level for decades, reaching $96 a barrel last week. Petrol and diesel at more than £1 a litre at UK garages is now common.

'This is a bleak and very worrying topic, but we have tried very hard to make it entertaining and exciting,' said Basil Gelpke, who - with Ray McCormack - wrote, directed and produced the film.

And to judge by film festival screenings, they may have succeeded. A Crude Awakening has won prizes at the Zurich and Palm Beach festivals. It is a dramatic depiction of the arguments of economists and geologists who say that the day of 'peak oil' has either occurred or is imminent. Peak oil is defined as the time when the world produces its maximum output of oil and enters a period when prices start to soar as demand rises - thanks in part to the industrialisation of China and India - while supplies dwindle.

The US Energy Information Administration said recently it believed production had peaked last year. Others say it has not yet occurred but is imminent, a point backed by geologist Professor Stuart Haszeldine, of Edinburgh University. 'If we have not reached peak oil already, then I am sure it will be upon us within the next two years.'

In the North Sea, oil production has been declining for years, America reached its maximum output decades ago, and in other parts of the world stocks of easily accessible oil are slowly being used up. 'We have reached the peak of oil production, the question is: how steep is the slope downwards on the other side,' said Matt Simmons, author of Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy

Oil companies say that there are still major reserves to be exploited. In particular, Arctic and Antarctic fields - which are being freed of ice and snow as the world heats up - are being sized up for their reserve potential.

In Burma, protests over rising fuel prices led to a crackdown by the country's military authorities while in China, where there have been critical fuel shortages recently, one man was shot for trying to jump a petrol queue. Such events are destined to become the norm across the planet, it is argued.

As prices soar and production falters, the world will hurtle into a future of pitched battles over dwindling oil supplies. 'It is not just the threat to transport, ' added David Strahan, author of The Last Oil Shock. 'All across Asia, particularly in India and Bangladesh, farmers use diesel generators to pump water in and out of their fields. If oil prices soar, they will not be able to afford to irrigate their crops. The result could be starvation and food riots.'

In addition, crude oil is a basic necessity in the manufacture of materials such as asphalt and plastic. The construction of a desktop computer consumes 10 times its weight in fossil fuels, for example. Without cheap oil, such products will no longer be affordable.

It is an alarming scenario, although a note of caution was sounded by John Loughhead, director of the UK Energy Research Centre. 'It is true that we may very soon run out of oil from accessible sources, but there are many other types of fuel that we could exploit,' he said.

At present, energy companies exploit a field only if they think they can get oil out of the ground at a cost of less than $18 a barrel. This is a very conservative estimate, given current prices. At present oil is being sold at over $90 a barrel. 'If, in future, companies use a more realistic figure of $40 a barrel instead of $18, that would make many, many more reserves suddenly become economical - the oil tar fields of Alaska, deep water reservoirs, and others,' Loughhead said.

'The trouble is that it is very difficult to estimate future oil prices. Ten years ago they stood at around $10 a barrel. Now they are almost 10 times that. Certainly, I doubt oil will be cheaper than $40 a barrel again, so that means many more fields which once seemed uneconomical will become better bets for exploitation.'

Loughhead said oil was just a small part of the range of hydrocarbons found in the ground. 'It is becoming easier and easier to turn substances like coal and gas into liquid form and use that as a substitute for oil, so fuels based on hydrocarbons will still be with us in some form for a few decades yet,' he said.

Fuel figures

· The United States has 2 per cent of the world's oil reserves and consumes 25 per cent of its annual production.

· 98 per cent of all energy used for road, rail, ocean and aviation transport is provided by oil products.

· A barrel of oil is 42 US gallons, or 34.97 British gallons or 159 litres.

· It is thought there are between 1,000 and 2,000 billion barrels of oil left in the planet's reserves. The world produces 75,000 barrels a day.

· It would take a man working for 25,000 hours to generate the same amount of energy that is stored in one barrelful of oil.

Print | Share
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 7:20am
Gas Prices Hit $4 In California
Big Sur Drivers Paying Even More

POSTED: 4:45 pm PST November 7, 2007
UPDATED: 4:50 pm PST November 7, 2007

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The American Automobile Association of California says some drivers are now paying $4 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline.

Crude oil prices hit an all-time high Wednesday, above $98 a barrel and analysts say with worldwide oil demand rising -- it is still not clear just how high prices will go.

In Salinas, AAA recorded an average of $3.39 per gallon. Santa Cruz is at an average of $3.37 per gallon.

KSBW checked and found gas in Gorda, south of Big Sur, is even higher. Drivers there are paying $5 for gas.

Over the past two weeks gas has gone up 15 cents in California alone, according to AAA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic