Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Hypothetical Domestic Outbreak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trafficguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypothetical Domestic Outbreak
    Posted: November 17 2007 at 2:36pm
What do you think will happen when the very first human to human transmiision of the Avian Flu is confirmed within the United States? Panic? Disbelief? What will you do?     
No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy.
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 3:58pm
    I'd head to the store.
I am not a prophet
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 4:53pm
Close my Diner and kick back at home and watch in wonder as it spreads.I dont think most of the people will care much until its knocking on there door or they lose someone close to them.Everybody I talk to about this says it cant happen here.It amazes me how people think we are untouchable when it comes this"avianflu"Confused  
WHAT TO DO????
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 5:06pm
    It really depends on what govt says or does. It hasn't admitted a single case of h5, only the low path kind. So if they finally admitted a case of high path, it must mean it's more widespread than not. Frankly, if I were govt, I'd let people die peacefully in their homes, not from a riot. So I'm forced to agree with govt blackout on this subject, although we'd all here on this chat line prefer to know beforehand so we can finish our emergency preps.

So I think it's refutable that we'll ever hear of a single case of hi path in the US. I don't understand, however, why other nations risk riot by publishing fatalities, like Indonesia.

I'm confused about vaccines. I received a vaccine for influenza last month. Where's the vaccine for the existing bird flu? We know they've been giving the vaccine to chickens, why aren't we as a public getting this years bf vaccine? It might not protect us from a mutated bf later, but what about current infections? We should have had that vaccine out a half year ago, I know it didn't take two years to make regular influenza vaccine. Maybe medclinician and other health care professionals here would know.

I smell conspiracy.
I am not a prophet
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 5:24pm
Danny, They're Americans and they have cell phones!!! I've heard this come from someone's mouth. The cell phone part anyway. They think the technology seperates us from 1918 Americia. They think this makes them exempt from nature. I think it's also a pride thing.

I am going to the store also. But as I take things off the shelf I will feel differently about it than I do now. Now the item will be replaced, then everything I take will be unavailable to someone else. Someone with children. I know I will feel bad about this but I have to think about my family first. Everyone I tell about this thinks I am trying to enroll them in my doomsday cult. I have a lot of stuff now but not enough for the long haul.
I think everyone will instantly be a pandemic flu expert. They will want to talk about it when it is too late to prepare. And then they will remember the people who told them about it months ago. I wish I could move into a cave in the middle of nowhere and hide. I am much more afraid of people that the virus.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 7:15pm
    We'll here at this chat line eventually come to the understanding that no matter how remote the areas some of us live in, the odds of infection are huge because of the blackout. We simply won't be told when to hole up because it would cause riots.
I am not a prophet
Boondocker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 7:47pm
Salt, flour, sugar, yeast, garlic, in that order.

At the hardware store: caulk, sheeting, nails, screws ITO

At the fabric store: rubber packed curtain cloth.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 7:47pm
sorry, "backed" instead of packed
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Boondocker Boondocker wrote:

Salt, flour, sugar, yeast, garlic, in that order.At the hardware store: caulk, sheeting, nails, screws ITOAt the fabric store: rubber packed curtain cloth.

I must say I'm confused about all the flour, sugar, yeast and whatnot, wouldn't it be easier to buy regular food products than bother with basic ingredients? If the power goes out and the water goes, you won't be able to bake bread, you won't be able to cook anything. Everything frozen will go, boxed meals need to be boiled in water for the most part, the govt recommends non-perishables and non-prepared foods. Peanut butter and tuna for instance. Even the big bags of rice are pointless, there's no way to cook them. I think we need to masterplan - what other types of food do not need to be heated or prepared using electricity?
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 10:35pm
Those items are able to be stored for a long time and sold for whatever price you name as the months go by.

Water is easily come by, whether the pipes are flowing or not, as long as one prepares themself towards acquiring water when the piped stufff ceases.

If someone can't subsist on dried foods, they have no business prepping, or attempting to live through a pandemic.
BMW1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 8:40am
  I will head to the store for some last minute items like, fresh produce, orange juice in the box,this is a good replacement to use on dry cereal if you have no milk at all.  A few more bottles of alcohol, handy wipes, onions and garlic.  I don't have a lot of last minute things to get.   If I don't  get a chance to get any of  things I would be ok.  I would like to be able to stock up on a little more comfort food. 
Mississipi Mama
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Boondocker Boondocker wrote:

Those items are able to be stored for a long time and sold for whatever price you name as the months go by. Water is easily come by, whether the pipes are flowing or not, as long as one prepares themself towards acquiring water when the piped stufff ceases. If someone can't subsist on dried foods, they have no business prepping, or attempting to live through a pandemic.

I'm going to find a better prep supply
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 2:57pm
    Parents, remember gov't suggestions - get comfort things for your kids, like games, candy, things that will help their anxiety. If we as adults are afraid, think of the children.
I am not a prophet
anon54 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 4:56pm
My family would probably head straight to the gun store!I fear the violence more than I do the disease!I'd also load up on gas & kerosene.I don't want to be too far from home when "it " finally arrives.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 6:21pm
I've done some calculations. For $32 dollars (Sam's prices) 25lbs of rice, 5qts oil and 24lbs redbeans will supply 126 meals of 865 calories. This is about 3406 calories per dollar. If you could stand to eat 2000 calories of it a day (and you will if you have nothing else) that would be about about 58 cents a day. A can of LeSueur peas has 210 calories per dollar. And the dry stuff keeps well if you can keep the bugs out of it. I have a lot of my rice vacume sealed but not all of it. When I was checking the labels to get information for my calculations I saw some tiny little bugs. Almost too small to see. Vacume seal bags are expensive but necessary.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 11:09am
Best thing to have done over all is to already be prepared. 

Most regular food stuffs have a 1 to 2 year shelf life, then what.  Hows the govt and modern technology going to help at that point?

Thats why some of us are storing bulk foods.  There are simple recipes available, and alternative ways to cook and heat up foods ... solar ovens, charcoal, sawdust candles, outdoor bread/pizza ovens, and your BBQ grills.  Besides ... it is cheaper to buy food in bulk and store it away properly, and ways to acquire water ...

This is a learning process for those who are concerned about their families, and it should be started now ... not the day you find out that bird flu has started to spread across the continental US.

TIP:  Now that it's the Christmas holidays, I usually try to get as many popcorn tins as I can because they've become good storage vessels for me, things like rice, sugar, salt and items that don't get too many bugs store well in them.

"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 1:49pm
"If the power goes out and the water goes, you won't be able to bake bread, you won't be able to cook anything. Everything frozen will go, boxed meals need to be boiled in water for the most part, the govt recommends non-perishables and non-prepared foods. Peanut butter and tuna for instance. Even the big bags of rice are pointless, there's no way to cook them. I think we need to masterplan - what other types of food do not need to be heated or prepared using electricity?"

As well as several hundred cans of vegetables, chilli and pasta sauce, I have about 150lbs of rice and 100 lbs of flour stored so far, along with a butt load of pasta, dried beans, etc. I have no plans to include anything frozen in my preps. As far as cooking all that stuff goes, I don't need electricity - I have dual fuel stoves that run very economically on unleaded gas. When the announcement is made I'll fill up all the gas cans I have. The trick to making your fuel reserves last is to use a modern version of a haybox oven, which insulates the food, allowing it to cook itself (made any progress on that, Boondocker?). The only reason you have to continually heat food on a stove is because you're repacing heat lost to the atmosphere. It's an expensive balancing act - heat in, heat out. Partially cook your food on the stove then drop it into your haybox oven and it'll do the job itself. As far as baking is concerned, a simple camp oven over your stove, BBQ, etc will do the job nicely.
Boondocker is right. You can buy all the food you want, but in the end it'll be clean potable water that'll determine how well you prepped. I'm looking at solar stills and filters for that. I'm going to look into getting at least one 55 gallon drum as a reserve, but I want to be able to make my own water whenever I need it.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 3:47pm
Hiya, jacksdad. No progress because I gave up on using any type of foam. The smell of it even at lower temps was enough to make me want to upchuck. It can't be doing any favours for the food, even in a sealed vessel. The residues alone on the shell could cross contaminate if one doesn't handle the lot with kid gloves.

I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I'm not the guy to realize it.

Decided to get another solar panel but this time a bifacial so the reflection adds to the efficiency and attaching to a small slow cooker or 12 volt meat loaf sized travel oven. I can safely cable it into a closet and control the air flow (smell).

The same panel should adequately power a 12 volt caravan pump and small watermaker hooked up to the buried hoses out back.

If the water is too chemically tainted, I'll still/and or earth filter it first then run it through the process.

In case you haven't seen it, check out Ebay right now. They've had government surplus desalinators going for around 200-250 lately. They're handpump Katadyn units, but they're cheap, the gaskets are easy to replace, and they might be enough for what you're after. (They're about 900.00 US new. These haven't been used, but need a mild refurbishment)
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 5:16pm
Just checked them out. Nice price. Wish I wasn't broke right now :(
I've lagged on the haybox we talked about. I have a box made up and a couple of stock pots I was planning on using, but work got in the way. What kind of foam were you trying? The solid kind or the spray kind? I bet there's got to be some high temp stuff around for some weird off the wall application. Maybe an aluminum lining (thin sheet metal as opposed to foil) between the pot and the foam might protect it while still reflecting radiant heat back. It would probably hold up better than foil in the long term as well. Just a thought.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 5:42pm
Cool room polystyrene foam. 

I know it's expensive, but the powered cooker unit appeals to my distrust of chemicals.

In a pinch, I'd use the foam set up but it's pretty low on my list of healthy setups.

Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 7:46pm
Has anyone ever worked with stained glass? Could you buy several large and small magnifying glasses and combine them "stained glass style" into a crock pot lid. The winter sun is intense and if the pot could be insulated enough it may work.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2007 at 9:21pm
That's along the lines of a solar oven. They can be made cheaply using cardboard, foil and a sheet of glass. Do an internet search - there are some pretty neat ones out there you can build for next to nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic