Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

California set to have powerful storms.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California set to have powerful storms.
    Posted: February 23 2008 at 9:08am
    8 counties are now under advisories, watches, or severe weather warnings.(this is Nor Cal, where im from)
Carquinez Strait And Delta
Greater Lake Tahoe Area
Lassen/Eastern Plumas/Eastern Sierra
Motherlode
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park
Central Sacramento Valley
Southern Sacramento Valley
Northern San Joaquin Valley
Southwestern Shasta To Northern Lake Counties
Sierra Nevada From Yosemite To Kings Canyon
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

This is what it says on the weather channel:
...HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM PST THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

A HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM PST THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING FOR THE SACRAMENTO AND NORTHERN SAN VALLEYS AND ADJACENT SIERRA NEVADA FOOTHILLS...THE DELTA AND SOUTHERN LAKE COUNTY.

STRONG AND GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE AREA LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND PERSIST INTO SUNDAY MORNING. WIDESPREAD SOUTHERLY WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH ARE LIKELY TONIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING WITH WIND GUSTS FROM 50 TO 60 MPH POSSIBLE IN THE CENTRAL VALLEY...SURROUNDING FOOTHILLS AND OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF SOUTHERN LAKE COUNTY.

THE WINDS WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN CREATING DRIVING RAINS AND POOR VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

THESE STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS MAY CAUSE ADDITIONAL DAMAGE TO TREES AND STRUCTURES ALREADY WEAKENED BY EARLIER WIND STORMS THIS WINTER. PEOPLE ARE URGED TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS BY SECURING LOOSE OBJECTS AND CUTTING BACK LOOSE LIMBS. PEOPLE SHOULD ALSO MAKE SURE THEY PREPARE FOR POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES.

A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT. SUSTAINED WINDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH...OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR STRONGER MAY OCCUR. MOTORIST ARE URGED TO USE CAUTION. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

So then my local new station said:
Get Disaster Supplies Kit For Your Home

three-day supply of water (one gallon of water per person per day for drinking and hygiene)
three-day supply of non perishable, high-energy food and a manual can opener
first aid kit and essential medications
battery-powered or hand-cranked radio
flashlight and extra batteries
extra warm clothing, including boots, mittens and a hat
copies of important documents (birth certificate, title/deed to home, insurance policies, etc.) in a waterproof container

Awww...darn storms...=[ We got out our dynamo crank radio and bought a 24 pack case of top ramen. but we dont have enough water=[
We only have a 24 pack case. so its not enough. We need to go back out to the store to pick up some more. I hope our power doesnt go out, cuz some people during the jan 4 storm had their power go out and some didnt get it back until like almost a week later..=[*worried*

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 1:13pm
I am also from Northern ca. and we have buckled down.I am concerned also that the power wil go out but we are prepared if it does.Maybe there will be no school for my kids if the power goes out.Yay!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

8 counties are now under advisories, watches, or severe weather warnings.(this is Nor Cal, where im from)
C

so whats the bigger picture is this the beginning of extreme global warming your worried about?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 3:01pm
have you seen whats happing around the world? check out

the perfect storm in Sweden

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iARO0hr5mXcPzjudU4ofxJDZoRFw
Winds of about 120 km/h are classified as hurricane-strength.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 3:05pm
did you know sweden

had no real winter and its always really cold there like Alaska.

http://www.huliq.com/51118/warm-weather-cancels-forestry-work

Meanwhile, meterological experts here conclude that southern Sweden has really had no winter at all – and that the prolonged autumn is starting to slide into spring with some spring wildflowers already popping into view.

The normal winter period ranging from December through February requires a number of days in a row with below-freezing temperatures - and this hasn’t happened.

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 3:18pm
    Hotair-We went to costco to get some water and such a couple hours ago. Quite a good amount of people buying it there today as well a flashlights batteries and some bulk noodles. I also hope that the power goes out just at school because i'll have no school on mon!^_^

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 3:19pm
    I wasnt thinking bout the global warming thing, just abut how my city is covered in trees and then many down trees are dangerous and the flooding and such.
Gloabal warming is worrysome tho but it can be slowed

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 3:21pm
As Hong Kong shivers through its second-longest cold spell since 1885, scientists point to global warming to explain the abnormal cold weather phenomenon worldwide.

Unusually cold weather is gripping a number of countries, including China and Canada.
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=11&art_id=61512&sid=17581089&con_type=1

now check this out super cool weather in Canada and very unusably warm weather in Europe those are the extremes that are starting see to happen, In a few years where going too see it excelerate++ droughts will be the norm in the usa and the usa produces most of the food wheat belt for the world, as the droughts continue then people will start too starve all over the world.

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 3:37pm
really? its been a while 4 china
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 6:22am
Quote scientists point to global warming to explain the abnormal cold weather phenomenon worldwide.

I can't help but laugh at these statements. I know this is not your statement Cole.

So because of global WARMING, it's getting COLDER!?! Back when Katrina happened and all the hurricanes pounded the gulf coast it was because of global warming. Now because there was maybe four total storms last year, global warming is the cause for the lack of hurricanes!

My God! What isn't global warming causing? Male pattern baldness? The fact that global warming is happening is indisputable, it *IS* getting warmer, but I don't think that it's causing every possible problem around the world. The Meterologist can't even figure out what's going to happen a week from now with any level of accuracy. It's quite literally impossible. The global weather is in a perpetual state of chaos. It's far too easy and overused of a scapegoat, and blaming it on humans is spurious at best. Correlation does not denote causation.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Quote scientists point to global warming to explain the abnormal cold weather phenomenon worldwide.

I can't help but laugh at these statements. I know this is not your statement Cole.

So because of global WARMING, it's getting COLDER!?! Back when Katrina happened and all the hurricanes pounded the gulf coast it was because of global warming. Now because there was maybe four total storms last year, global warming is the cause for the lack of hurricanes!

My God! What isn't global warming causing? Male pattern baldness? The fact that global warming is happening is indisputable, it *IS* getting warmer, but I don't think that it's causing every possible problem around the world. The Meterologist can't even figure out what's going to happen a week from now with any level of accuracy. It's quite literally impossible. The global weather is in a perpetual state of chaos. It's far too easy and overused of a scapegoat, and blaming it on humans is spurious at best. Correlation does not denote causation.

Global warming refers to a general warming trend globally. As weather patterns change, so will localized temperatures - either up or down. It's not that hard to understand.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 10:19am
Listen man, I live in an EXTREMELY cold part of the United States. I say bring on the Global Warming. I'm tired of freezing my arse off, having to jump start my car, and shoveling snow.

It should be 40 degrees outside instead of the 2 it is now.
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 1:23pm
Have you ever thought about moving turbo? I am a strong believer in"if you don't like it,change it"Just a thought.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 9:17am
I lived in northern Europe for many years and waited 11 months of the year for the rain to warm up so we could pretend it was summer.
I don't understand why people have such trouble with the whole global warming thing. I guess it's the name - it oversimplifies it and allows people to hold it up to ridicule without fully understanding it. Being flippant about the possibilty of screwing up a planet that our descendants will have to live on strikes me as childish. We keep putting carbon in the air and it will mess with the climate. If you don't believe that, just wait. The sand you have your head stuck in (unless like some you have it firmly planted elsewhere) will start to warm up, freeze, turn into a dustbowl or end up submerged. Patience. It'll happen.
Blaming global warming on people is spurious at best? Oh please. You're not going to use the cow fart argument, are you? Yes, I agree - the climate is in constant flux, but there seems to be a trend at the moment to use any excuse possible to avoid accepting responsibility for our actions. To hear people talk you'd think it's as if the founding fathers wrote something into the Constitution about SUV ownership being some inalienable right that we've always enjoyed, when in fact our use of fossil fuels on such a massive scale is only a few generations old. The idea that the planet will somehow take care of our mistakes forever more is based on the ridiculous notion that we couldn't possibly affect the weather. As you mentioned it's a complex system that runs on many variables. But start changing variables and eventually you'll see results. Shut down the thermohaline circulation and see how cold it gets in the north. Divert that heat to the southern oceans and watch cat 5 hurricanes batter the Gulf Coast several times a year. Dry out the world's bread baskets and watch the fun ensue as wars start over food. I pity the coming generations - at this rate, they won't be thanking us for much.
Hotair's right. If you hate the weather that much - just move. I've had enough weather for a lifetime, thank you very much. Now I only have three pairs of pants that have legs that extend past my knees

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 11:22am
Change of direction here - why the name "Turboguy"?

Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 1:50pm
    So you also visited Manchester Jacksdad last summer was so wet we had 6 weeks of continous rain and it was declared the wettest month in recorded history, it wasn't only the ducks that where in danger of webbed feet.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 4:36pm
Rainy City? Oh yeah - very nearly married a girl from Manchester actually. I was born and raised in Chester. Been enjoying the sunshine in So Cal for nearly 20 years and counting.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic