Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Serious Medical Preps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious Medical Preps
    Posted: March 24 2008 at 10:23pm
Can someone tell me where to get sterile sutures in case someone in my family has a bad cut. I want a reputable company, don't want infection if I can help it.

Are their any other suggestions for serious medical preps that a non medical person can use in an emergency.

birddog23 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 4:40am

Get some kerosene. If it is not to bad soak the wound in kerosene. You will not get an infection.

lamrobertson View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 4:54am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 9:19am
Thank you Iamrobertson, I will be getting some of these sutures.

Does anyone have anything else serious they have in their preps.

I have all the regular stuff, pain, stomach, tooth filler, ect...

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 9:25am
Peroxide and Alcohol.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 9:43am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Thank you Iamrobertson, I will be getting some of these sutures.

Does anyone have anything else serious they have in their preps.

I have all the regular stuff, pain, stomach, tooth filler, ect...

I am going to grab a suture and a dental kit.  I was looking for the strips they use instead of stitches at the hospital.  Didn't find any though.

I have heard of some people buying supplies for doing iv's/  I'm not going to touch that one. 

I did buy some antibiotics online.  Still need to try getting tamiflu.

lol you are making me a little nervous flumom.  Looks like you are buying the last of your preps.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 10:07am
  I did a search a while ago for a suture kit and found a bunch of sites that sold them. I guess it depends how much you want to spend and how extensive you want your kit to be. That said however, people should be aware that in many emergency situations, unless you've got a major arterial bleed that won't stop - in which case you'd better hope you can get to an ER quick as it's life threatening - direct pressure with a sterile dressing (or even a clean T-shirt) and lots of patience will stop most bleeding. Applying pressure to pulse points above the wound (if you know where they are) and elevating it above the heart can also be effective. Use tourniquets as a last resort and with caution. Too loose and they make the bleeding worse by only constricting venous flow, and too tight and for too long will result in tissue death and potential loss of a limb. Butterfly bandaids do a good job of holding even big cuts together that under normal circumstances would have you bolting for the ER for stitches or staples (after the worst of the bleeding has stopped of course - they don't like to stick otherwise). Before we all start treating ourselves and our loved ones though, we are discussing medical care during an emergency like a pandemic where trained help may not be available, and it should be said that under normal circumstances a trip to a healthcare professional is always a good idea when you can, as unseen problems like nerve and tendon damage can also occur from seemingly minor injuries. Hey, while you're there - your tetanus shot up to date?  
   It sounds a little off the wall, but potato starch is very effective at staunching blood flow. You can buy bags of it at the store pretty cheap - I have some in my first aid kit. It's been approved by the FDA in it's purified (and probably expensive) form, but apparently even dehydrated potato flakes work just as well. http://men.webmd.com/news/20021016/potato-powder-stops-bleeding
  As far as infections are concerned, don't forget the value of good old soap and hot water, and make sure you have lots of peroxide, betadine/provadine/iodine, and Neosporin in your medical preps. I have a preference for peroxide - I've seen it used on deep post surgical wounds and it works like a charm. Alcohol is not a good thing to use directly on cuts - quite apart form the pain factor (ouch), it's not kind to tissues. You can always use it to clean things that will come into contact with a wound though.
  Just a quickie while I'm rambling - I used to work in EMS, and I've been in the medical field for nearly 15 years, so I feel pretty comfortable in emergency situations. For those who don't, maybe now is the time to take a first aid class and get your CPR certification. Consider it as an essential part of your preps if you like. We're getting ready for a time when food, water and power might not be available. What if a call to 911 goes unheeded. What will you do then?  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 11:02pm
Thank you jacksdad, I will copy your instructions and put them in my medical information. I just purchased 2 bottles of peroxide and have two old bottles expired in 2007. Will dump those out now. Peroxide is cheap less than 2.00 for two large bottles.

Iamrobertson, yes I am trying to get all my preps finalized so I can quit fretting over not having everything. I am only prepping for 6 months because my husband would kill me if I get much more.

I will always have a list of last minute items I will extra stock up because I know things will become hard to get.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 8:53am
good information jacksdad and especially about being up to date with first aid and CPR certified. 

am looking into sutures as well ~ for a multi family medical set up ~ have several family members that are nurses, former EMTs ~ so having these "sterile" items on hand and using them on the advise of a medical doctor makes sense to me.

"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 11:59am
lamrobertson-been looking for those kits. Thanks!Smile
"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 5:56pm
What about sterie strips .  And did you know that some operations they use super glue to seal a cut i heard.. Also there is liquid bandaids..  I have while camping sterilized a sewing needle and used white cotton thread and closed a cut on a finger that was really bad and needed imediate attention at the moment it happen.  But I would recomend for sterile reasons to stick with sutures or sterie strips..  Sterie strips are those pieces of tape looking things the docter put on you after a operation to keep the wound closed.  They can be bought in any drug store.  There is also a spray to clean a wound and keep it sanitry. 

here is the name of the wound cleaner that was given to me for a family member who had surgery.

ALLCLENZ wound cleanser.......
A moisturizing no-rinse dermal wound cleanser that removes wound debris as it cleanses and washes.  It says its a non irritating, safe and effective prepartion for cleansing wounds.
Dist. by Healthpoint.....manufactured by DPT LABORATORIES, lTD. sAN aNTONIO, tEXAS

I HAVE A PHONE NUMBER FOR IT IF NEED BE JUST LET ME KNOW.

Also i got a great spray for disinfectanting ......usually found in hospital settings.
T-Spray II
used on medical equipment to kill.  Virlicde, Bactericde, fungicide

Says it cleans and disinfects really good. Not sure where you would buy it.

I just thought of something important.  When my family member had surgery they provided us with these big sheets of paper that had on it a film like substance that was like a second skin.   YOu would dress the wound and put this clear plastic over the wound it kept the wound from leaking and keep it clean.  But I forget what its called.  It comes in sheets.
I got some in my first aid kit .  If anyone is interested in it ill look later in my kit.  STuff works great and you can buy it in all sizes.  Sort of like the tape they put over the iv you get in the hospital.

Also if someone gets hurt really bad you can use a sanitary pad to put on the wound .  Or ABD PADS  bought in the drug store for covering a wound.

And for a gun shot wound you use a tampon to put in the hole then it expands and can save your life they do that in the military i heard during war times.

My dad was a civil defense member and he did a lot of medical things during that time.

PrepGirl
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 6:00pm

My experience from having a infected finger that got cut that just wouldn't heal .  When I was in the pool and the chorine got on it cleaned the wound and healed it really fast.  So maybe a diluted form of bleach in a pinch would clean a wound?

PrepGirl
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 6:29pm
Zinc oxide ointment for burns
chorizen tablets cleans and draws out infection
black sauve draws out splinters ask pharmacist for it
tweezer for splinters
porixide.....
Cling is a roll of cloth bandage that clings and needs no tape to keep it secure over the pad on a wound like on a knee or elbow
Tegaderm is that plastic skin i mention above that can be left on for days
Eye cup for cleasing eye and use saline eye solution type you use for contacts
Adolf meat tenderizer....And dont laugh on this one.  Is used in hospital for tenderizing a piece of meat that someone is shoking on..  To make it move.
Idodine...used for any wound sterilizes it
Macuracom used for putting wound to sterilze infection
Saline in bottle not the eye type is used for cleaning a wound that need flushing daily
Oil of clove for tooth ache but has to be bought from pharmachist its a special kind rub on gums for tooth ache or sore gums..
Salt bags take table salt make bag with cotton and fill with table salt and lay you ear on it will help ear ache.
Hot and cold treatment bags bought in pharmacy for keeping swelling down.  YOu get in pharmacy you just bang them and they activate
Paper tape for anyone alergic to tape on dressings
Splints for broken bones
Finger cots to keep a finger dry that has a bandage on it to keep it dry
Roll of suran wrap.  use to keep a dressing dry if you dont have tegaderm sheets you wrap it around a wound.
Sling for broken arm
Eye patchs for injured eye
3 in one antibiotic cream over the counter purchase
Regular asprins and baby asprins for heart attack or stroke that will thin the blood to break up clots
Scissors
Bottle of Whiskey for pain
Anti diarhal medication
Anti vomit medication
Ipeacat to induse vomiting / for posion person
Cane
Scruthes
Boards for splints
Popicile sticks are good for finger splints
 Benadryle for allergys
 Latex free gloves for persons alergic to latex
Tums or keopetate or mylanta or malox for acid stomach
Anti histamine for sinus
Soap
ora gel for tooth ache
Pedi lyte for replenshing electrolites if you got high fever or gatorade
peppermint candy good for upset stomach
One a day vitamins
Cans of carnation instant breakfast has all the nutrients to survive
Slim fast has all the nutrients to survive yes it may be used for a diet but you can drink more .
Ice pops are good to nibble on when you got a fever , give fluid, dont spoil, and can be used because it frozen  to put on a swelling bump..

PrepGirl
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 6:54pm

Medx for lips or vaseline use frequently before the patients get fever blisters on lips to prevent cracking of the lips

Malox has another purpose it is used in hospital for bed ulcerated bed sores what you do is cleanse the area first, take cotton swab dab it on the sore and let the air get at it keep it uncovered it drys up the sore. it takes a little while to do clear it up works great.  Do this three times a day at least.

Always make sure its very important to wash off all medications in the area before apply new medication to any situation.  If you dont clean old dressing it can cause bacterial infections.

Gangerine you use saline solution and cleanse it all off and some antibotic cream to keep it from cracking .  Then you peel it off. Only done by a docter.. Its called debrising the wound. 

Seaweed solution used for bed sores , ulcerations, gangerine but you need a prescription.

Razor for shaving area that need to be cleaned before putting a dressing on.

Gylcose tablets for those who have low blood sugar reaction or diabetic reaction.
or use orange juice,

ALL THE ABOVE IS JUST MY OPINION AND WHEN SERIOUS CONDITION ARE PRESENT BY NO MEANS SHOULD ONE TAKE CARE OF THE SITUATION A DOCTER SHOULD BE CONSULTED.
I AM NOT A DOCTER A NURSE JUST HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF THESE THINGS FROM A RELATIVE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD.

PrepGirl
LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 10:08pm
i'm stoping in Tijuana, mexico this weekend and plan to pick up a bottle of amoxillian, and i'll see what else they have over the counter that i need a prescription for in the US.
r we there yet?
SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 6:04am
For those who don't live near Mexico and need antibiotics, buy fish antibiotics online. It is exactly the same as human antibiotic. I even spoke with a pharmacist and called the manufacturer, and the tablets are all made at the same time only separated when the bottles are labeled.

I have been looking for a way to get Prednisone though. Mexico is a bit too far from Wisconsin!

Susan
nightowlmn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowlmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 6:40am
Susan,
I am confused about your posting?Confused
 Your saying Fish antibiotics online is exactly the same as human antibiotic?Confused

Where did you get this inforomation and I am interested in knowing more about the safety of this?
Also do you have a link to the fish antibiotics your referring to?
Make your preparations in secret. Because the hungry, are going to remember that you've stored food -- and they're going to come knocking at your door!
SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 6:49am

I believe I purchased mine at allivet.com. I actually read the information on this site a couple years ago, when I first started prepping. I didn't believe it at first either, that is why I called the manfacturer. It is true. Just be sure you research dosages. The pricing is actually pretty reasonable as well.

Susan
SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 6:59am
I just dug out mine, good thing too, they expired last month. They were made by Thomas Laboratories. Phone (623) 936-8536.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 7:13am
I got my antibiotics from alldaychemist.com.  Dirt cheap too.  Ships from India.  I also got some asthma stuff -vetolin and cortisteriods. 

Predisone they didn't have.  Wish I could find that   I have a few pills here that were small doages like 5 mg for our dog.  Predisone would be a good one to  have on hand.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 9:54am
Ok, so are any of you afraid that these meds are not for human consumption and may have bad stuff in them??

And how do you know what doseage is correct for you or your child/teen?

I am like nightowlmn, this is scary to treat with meds when we do not know what we are doing and what each med is good for.

Is there a book that will tell us which med to use for what and at what dose? We need a Dr. or Nurse to answer this question.

Good information everyone on Serious Meds! As time gets short we need to have this information for prepping.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 10:06am
Sutures arn't needed. After cleansing and putting antibiotic on it...swipe a bit of superglue gel over it. You won't believe it;P
Sha Ren Ka
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 12:15pm
You can find uses and dosages on drugs.com.  I havne't done it yet but plan to print out  Antibiotics I'm not scared of using or the prednisone.  Have used them before.  I scared of not having enough knowlege to treat bird flu.  Delay in the proper treatment could mean death.  I'm hoping my antibiotics will be used for something not related to bird flu.  That way we don't have to go near a doctors office or hospital.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by ShaRenKa ShaRenKa wrote:

Sutures arn't needed. After cleansing and putting antibiotic on it...swipe a bit of superglue gel over it. You won't believe it;P

hmm been there, done that!  It hurt!  I don't think I would want to use superglue for a large cut.  The strips and a suture kit sound much better to me.
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 12:45pm
I just ordered my suture kit.Thanks for the info.I've wanted a kit for awhile
SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 12:50pm
FluMom, like you, I am a mom. Like you, I am trying to do whatever I can to provide for my family. I would hate to be in the situation where any member of my family needed a simple antibiotic to save his/her life, and there were none available. I hope I would never have to use them, but I will have them just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Susan
FictionWriter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FictionWriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 6:01pm
That nitro-pak place seemed kinda expensive. $8 for a single suture pack?
Try this link instead:

$3.50 is a bit more in my price range.

Ok, so superglue for an open wound instead of a suture. I've read that before. The folks that created the superglue actually created it as a surgical adhesive...the super strength glue was a side effect.

But my question is, how big is too big for wound size and the super glue. I mean, i can see using it on a shallow wound, like maybe a knife slice, but what about something deeper or longer or wider...a gash. Only example that comes to mind is uhm, compound fracture...where bones poke through the skin...and of course something like this, i'd be passed out on the ground from pain...so if no doctors around, i'd be dead...but provided i could stand the pain, would having that handy-dandy superglue be enough? or should I reach for the war surgery book and the surgical kit? :)

Somewhat off topic, but has anyone checked out the STOMP kit at cheaperthandirt? It's pricey, but it looks like everything except the kitchen sink in one medical pack...Think is, i only want the empty pack...i've got pretty much everything else...
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 6:21pm
It is my understanding that if the gash is deeper then superficial,Then the muscle layer would need to be sutured with absorbable suture known simply as "gut".Then staple, superglue or whatever the skin layer. I have had both(quite clumsy in the kitchen I am afraid) and feel more secure with sutures.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 8:25pm
ShaRenKa are you talking about the superglue gel you purchase at the grocery store??

I thought there would be a special medical superglue.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 4:10pm
Just a couple of thoughts here- If you have made up you're mind that you're going to to be sutureing then you need to be doing a little bit of practice.  Sooooo start with pigs feet then go to a steak and then on to a chunk of liver.  All have different textures and different levels of difficulty.  When you are done (and after you have removed the sutures) you can give it to the dog,  make soup out of it, throw it on the grill or fry it it up for dinner.

A lot of hospitals no longer soak lacerated areas in a basin of providine/iodine solution due to the possibility of tissue necrosis (death of tissue).  You can clean the area with it just don't drown in it.

For burns the best stuff that I've ever encounter is Water Gel.  This product comes in everything from small foil packets to full size blankets (expensive), but we use this at our Fire Department.  It is a sterile, lidocaine based and water soulable (will rinse off with water).  It absorbs the heat and take the pain away.  Most excellent to have around the house with little children, camping or back packing.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 5:02pm

ShaRenKa are you talking about the superglue gel you purchase at the grocery store??

Nope, I've pretty much gashed open the end of my big toe after dropping a 45 lbs speaker on it;P lol Blood everywhere! I went into bathroom, washed it best I could, as it was bleeding pretty good, poured peroxide over it. Then I poured Peroxide on it, dabbed it with a sterile gause pad, and then my super glue just over the cut opening (holding it together with my other hand). I'm not lying, after 2 1/2 weeks it was hard to see even the scar.
Sha Ren Ka
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 5:52pm

Nope, I've pretty much gashed open the end of my big toe after dropping a 45 lbs speaker on it;P lol Blood everywhere! I went into bathroom, washed it best I could, as it was bleeding pretty good, poured peroxide over it. Then I poured Peroxide on it, dabbed it with a sterile gause pad, and then my super glue just over the cut opening (holding it together with my other hand). I'm not lying, after 2 1/2 weeks it was hard to see even the scar.

Ouch didn't it hurt putting the superglue on.  I put crazy glue on a gash one time and yikes it hurt!
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 7:35am

I wasn't taught to suture in CPR class I can't help you with this subject

I am not a prophet
Yes Sir! View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yes Sir! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by johngardner1 johngardner1 wrote:

I wasn't taught to suture in CPR class I can't help you with this subject

You weren't asked.  You can teach yourself just fine.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:43pm
I've had sutures and used superglue..I'll take superglue anyday..lol
Sha Ren Ka
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:46pm
For burns..I swear by aloe gel;P I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on both legs from sun, Army hops wanted to lacerate them, I said no way. I was crying day and night while sitting in a bathtub along with ice. Blisters were awful and the throbbing! The Majors wife on the post kindly brought me over to her hosue and gave up a huge Aloe plant to my legs...and I swar within 5-10 mins, almost all pain was gone! And let me add..no scaring.
Sha Ren Ka
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:47pm
please excuse the typos..lol Had to turn a light on in here..getting dark...lol
Sha Ren Ka
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:51pm

For burns..I swear by aloe gel;P I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on both legs from sun, Army hops wanted to lacerate them, I said no way. I was crying day and night while sitting in a bathtub along with ice. Blisters were awful and the throbbing! The Majors wife on the post kindly brought me over to her hosue and gave up a huge Aloe plant to my legs...and I swar within 5-10 mins, almost all pain was gone! And let me add..no scaring.

We stored a couple of bottles of Aloe.  I used it on a burn from oil or grease and you are right works great.  We have also used it on minor cuts to help heal quicker.  Anything you want to heal quick and dry out.

Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 12:50am
I have a couple of Aloe plants, that are grown for their medical abilities, the gel from them is soothing on burns. I also stock up on arromatherapy oils especially Lavender as it acts in two ways antiseptic and analgesic [ you may smell like your greatgrandmother, but it sure is fast acting.  Hospital used it on my brother many years ago when he was in a bad fire, it was first thought he was going to need extensive skin graphs, he needed 2 smallish patches on his leg and arm after they had used the lavender oil for 3 weeks, it was used neat, directly on the skin, and in the water they bathed him in].
Lavender oil can be used neat on babies in fact the only oil that can be used undiluted also the oil can be used on pets.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:16pm
I think someone on this site told me about Water Jel for burns.

I am sorry, I kill indoor plants so Aloe is not an option for me.

Water Jel is pricey but I will be getting some just so I can treat a minor burn without going to the hospital.

ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:18pm
Hey Ro! I too make not only arromatherapy oils, but oils such a "Thieves Oil" and have came up with a few of my own natural healing oils and pastes and balms. Thieves oil in case someone dosn't have a clue as to what it is, Is a mixture of essential oils, and where did it come from? Back in the days when plagues ran rampant. Grave robbers use to mix a batch up, place it around their nose, mouth and hands before digging up the latest burrial site to steal their jewlery ect! It protected them from catching whatever killed the poor soul! I have made so far about 20 bottles and am selling them here locally for about $12.00 a bottle. I'm praying it works against the ABF as well!
Sha Ren Ka
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:38pm

I had a similar situation. I recieved burns on my arms and back from a broken steam line. My neighbor came over with some aloe from his yard and it was amazing! I went out later and bought a small aloe plant and planted it in the corner of my yard and ignored it. A few years later it was HUGE and is still thriving.
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:24pm

I think someone on this site told me about Water Jel for burns.

I am sorry, I kill indoor plants so Aloe is not an option for me.

Water Jel is pricey but I will be getting some just so I can treat a minor burn without going to the hospital.

lol I killed Aloe plant too.  You can buy a bottle of Aloe where they have suburn stuff.  Pretty sure I have a bottle from Solarcaine.  I also got a bottle from Avon.  Its pretty common for sunburns.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic