Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

A thread for potential h2h cases?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A thread for potential h2h cases?
    Posted: February 19 2006 at 10:55am

Again, I'm relatively new here but wondering if there is an area specifically dedicated to potential h2h cases so we can monitor them more closely. Here are three I've seen in the past 24 hours:

1) Bird flu spreads, India tests dozens of people
19 Feb 2006 12:57:54 GMT Source: Reuters:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L1988090.htm

"Preliminary investigations by the rapid response teams at Navapur indicate that this patient had no exposure to poultry," a federal health ministry statement said."

2) People's Daily Online China: Bird flu kills Thai boyBird flu kills Thai boy, UPDATED: 10:49, February 19, 2006

http://english.people.com.cn/200602/19/eng20060219_244036.ht ml

"The boy died in hospital on Wednesday, Thai Deputy Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakula was quoted as saying. He was not known to have had direct contact with chickens, but investigations are continuing. "

3) Khaleej Times: India to Begin Testing Humans for H5N1, (AP)19 February 2006

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Displayarticle.asp?section=subco ntinent&xfile=data/subcontinent/2006/february/subcontine nt_february769.xml

"Meanwhile, a scientist said an unknown number of people in the area were reported to be suffering from flu and fever, though there was no immediate indication they had contracted bird flu."  (Posted earlier in another forum by a member.)

~~~

NM

stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:19pm

I think that's a good idea. There are so many stories now it's hard to keep track. Plus H2H is what we are all watching out for.

"Prepping is Power"!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:21pm
Good idea.... we'll see if it has legs.
northern_mamma View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:47pm
Thanks, that'd be great. I hope we learn that in each of those three cases it was the result of some sort of bird contact; will just have to wait it out I suppose...

BTW, I have a Google News Alert set up for bird flu, it works great and I get many stories emailed three or four times a day. I imagine a number of you are doing the same or something similar. Very helpful to get that news pushed to the inbox.

NM

cosmicpixie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmicpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:32pm

i posted this on a thread yesterday-

www.who.int/csr/don/2006_02_17/en/index.html

IRAQ,39 yr old man died 27ht January after showing symptoms on 18th Jan.He was the uncle of the countrie's first case,a 15 yr old girl who died 17th Jan.He had cared for her while she was ill,BUT did have a history of being in contact with infected birds,SO,it can't be H2H for sure but then there is still the possibility it was....

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 11:04am

I'm adding the following link (posted elsewhere, but I'm trying to place all possible h2h articles in one place. I find this particularly alarming, given Dr. Niman response to it. He says:

"The hospitalization of relatives of the suspected fatal bird flu case in western India is cause for concern.  Initial media reports indicated that the index case tested positive for bird flu.  Later reports indicated he was not a bird flu case because of a lack of contact with birds.

Bird flu is widespread in the area (see
map) and dead crows  with H5N1 symptoms were reported in Mumbai last year.  Historically, India has denied H5N1 in poultry and people, even though poultry workers had H5N1 antibodies and the H5N1 positive bar-headed geese at Qinghai Lake winter in India.

More details on testing of the deceased patients and relatives would be useful.  Nose and throat swabs of H5N1 patients in acute respiratory distress are frequently
negative."

http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?aid=276891&arc hisec=REG&archisubsec=

It's short enough, I'll paste it below. I think that brings to FOUR the number of potential h2h cases we are now watching?

Source: ZEENET News

Mother, Son having  [sic]   
Navapur (Maha), Feb 20: The mother and brother of a 27-year-old man, who the authorities said died of "acute respiratory distress" and not because of Bird Flu, have shown symptoms of mild flu and have been hospitalised here.

Ganesh Bhai Ramesh Bhai Sonar, who hailed from Navapur, died yesterday in a hospital in neighbouring Surat and officials said his death was due to acute respiratory distress and was not related to the avian influenza.

They said he had "no exposure to poultry". Ramesh Sonar, father of Ganesh, said today that his wife and another son, who were with the deceased when he was admitted to the hospital in Surat, have shown some symptoms of mild flu and have been hospitalised here.

"The hospital authorities were not telling us anything about their condition. The entire hospital has been cordoned off," he said.

Bureau Report

###

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 1:42pm

Please add the following link to your browser to keep up to date with
H2H.

The following site is superior to Google most of the time, it provides real-
time updates from over 22,000 news sources.

I live in an eastern standard time zone. Northern_Mamma, and anyone
else in a different time zones, could keep an eye peeled.

http://newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Bird+Flu
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 1:49pm
 thanks rick
dee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:30pm

Excellent, Rick, thanks much. And yes, I'll keep a vigil over here on the West Coat. :-)

Northern Mamma

Smaug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smaug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:43pm
I agree we should have a separate thread for H2H transmission.  With most of the third world having cases it is just a matter of time before a successful mutation of H5N1 occurs.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 3:21pm
Thanks for the feedback, Smaug. Do you mean we should keep this thread going or start a new one? (Doesn't matter to me, I have no sense of ownership about it, I just want to make sure we can all find the h2h info as quickly and easily as possible.)

I guess I'm asking on behalf of the moderator--if you (or others) feel it should be moved or  if we should just continue to follow this one. I can see it's getting hit pretty hard with page views so assume there is a lot of interest in it. Not difficult to understand, I guess.

(Would just ask if it's moved we port the above messages over so we carry our "tally" with us.

NM

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 1:42am

Here's another one to watch:

www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1631996,001300820000.htm

8 fresh human cases suspected as culling continues

Press Trust of India

Navapur (Maharashtra), February 21, 2006

"There are eleven patients now admitted in the isolated ward for suspected bird flu, including eight who were admitted on Monday following door-to-door survey and three others were admitted on Sunday," Munde said.

The blood samples of all these people were sent to National Institute of Virology in Pune for testing and reports are expected in three days, he added.

The three patients, who were admitted on Sunday, were those in contact with the Ganesh Sonar who died in Surat last week and two of his family members, Munde said."

gypsybeach1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsybeach1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 11:08pm
hey, didn't a previous article say that ganesh had no
exposure to poultry and died of "acute respritory
distress. and then his mother and brother were
admitted with flu symptoms? and now an additional
3 more that were in contact with ganesh. this sounds
like a significant cluster.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 9:48am
Yup.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 1:40pm
Human bird flu: Final result awaited

Navapur No sign of pneumonia in last patient, doctors say likely to be negative

NEW DELHI, FEBRUARY 23: Government officials, awaiting the report on the last of the five samples that indicated human case of bird flu during preliminary tests, are hopeful this sample too would finally test negative for H5N1.

According to them, no patient in the isolation ward at Navapur, from whom the samples were taken, showed any sign of bird flu. X-rays of all the patients reveal no sign of pneumonia. ‘‘This patient (whose report is awaited) is no different than the other patients in Navapur. So we are hoping even this sample will test negative,’’ said Dr NK Ganguly, Director General, the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).

Although the government is not willing to reveal the identity of the patient, Dr Ganguly said the patient did not show any sign of pneumonia.

There is another reason for the confidence that the test will be negative. ‘‘The peak season for contracting pneumonia is over,’’ said Dr Ganguly.

The delay in getting the result of one of the five samples had more to do with technicality than anything else, said the doctor.

‘‘We get results cross-checked at the National Institute of Communicable Diseases in Delhi and the National Institute of Virology, Pune. While the four samples that showed negative results were tested at both the laboratories, the sample in question couldn’t reach NIV on time,’’ he said.

The reasons cited for the delay in taking the sample to NIV, however, did not sound satisfactory. ‘‘It was a mistake, as we were handling a large number of samples and missed this one,’’ he said.

Dr Ganguly said the sample was flown to NIV during the day and the result was expected on Saturday. According to him, the five samples had to go through a series of tests and the sample in question missed the last and the most crucial one, the Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). ‘‘We had to cross-check results of the final test and this is causing the delay (in the final report),’’ said Ganguly.

Nashik village boy dead, samples with NIV: Doctors at Mumbai’s JJ Hospital have sent blood samples of a 12-year-old boy, who died last night, to Pune’s National Institute of Virology (NIV) for a bird-flu virus test.

This is the first such sample from Mumbai. Doctors, however, said there was no cause for alarm. They had sent the samples ‘‘to be sure’’ and didn’t think those would test positive for bird flu.

Bhushan Sanjay Ahire, who was from a village in Nashik district, was admitted to the hospital at 10 p.m. on Wednesday with ‘‘a query of bird flu’’, according to doctors. He was kept in an isolation ward and died at 11.30 p.m.

The cause of death as reported in his death certificate was ‘lower respiratory tract infection with septicaemia’. But doctors thought it prudent to send his blood samples to Pune for two reasons. ‘‘One, he was in close contact with poultry products and second his clinical symptoms were similar to those of Avian influenza,’’said Health Secretary AM Khan.

Navapur traffic restrictions: Restrictions on movement to and from the 3-km radius of Navapur, the epicentre of bird flu, would be further intensified if the results of the blood samples of patients under observation is found positive, a senior police official of Navapur said today. Twelve people are under observation at the isolation ward of the local sub-district hospital.

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=88486

Falcon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 7:49pm

Suspected Human-To-Human
Bird Flu Transmission In Vietnam

NewScientist.com
1-22-5

Two more people in Vietnam have been confirmed to have contracted the H5N1 bird flu virus, as the known death toll in the country since the start of 2005 has risen to seven. There are at least seven more cases suspected.
Worryingly, two cases now in hospital might have caught the virus from another person, not from an infected fowl. Overall, these cases also suggest that many human infections with H5N1 may not have been diagnosed, partly because tests are not reliable or widely available.
The more people that have the virus, the more chances it will have to adapt to humans and possibly unleash a pandemic, warned Hans Troedsson of the World Health Organization in Vietnam. The WHO's biggest bird flu fear is that the virus will evolve to spread from human to human. Troedsson called it a "disappointment [that] the international community is not responding more adequately to the threat".
At the start of this week, six human cases of H5N1 flu had been diagnosed in Vietnam since the start of 2005. All have now died. Moreover, a 47-year-old man who died last week in Hanoi had twice tested negative for H5N1. He is now reported to have tested positive the third time around.
This suggests that H5N1 is being wrongly ruled out in many suspected cases. The man was only re-tested because his younger brother, who had been caring for him, had also fallen ill. The brother's initial test for H5N1 also came back negative, but two subsequent tests were positive. No contact
The official Chinese news agency Xinhua reports that the brother, who is in stable condition and expected to recover, had no contact with chickens, and did not live near a flu outbreak in poultry.
That, and the fact that he fell ill some two weeks after his brother, suggests he might have contracted the virus from his sibling. A third family member, a younger brother, is now also in hospital with suspected bird flu.
The only case of probable human-to-human transmission confirmed in the Asian outbreak was in Thailand in 2004, when a mother contracted the disease after nursing her sick child in hospital.
But Nguyen Tran Hien, head of Vietnam's National Institute of Epidemiology and Hygiene, told journalists on Friday that it was too early to conclude that the cases were due to human-to-human transmission. A week before the eldest brother fell ill, the family is said to have slaughtered and eaten a duck, which can harbour the virus without showing symptoms. Sputum samples
The cases in Vietnam underscore the difficulties in diagnosing the virus, which might mean human cases are more widespread than previously thought.
Tawee Chotpitayasunondh of Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health in Bangkok, Thailand, and colleagues report in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases that in a fifth of the suspected H5N1 cases in Thailand that tested negative, the sputum samples taken for testing were "inadequate".
The team concluded that the small number of human cases reported, despite the massive spread of the virus in poultry across east Asia, is because the illness is hard to distinguish from common pneumonia and because specific diagnostic tests are not widely available.
The virus continues to spread among poultry in Vietnam, with 29 new outbreaks reported by the Ministry of Agriculture on Wednesday alone. And this week Thailand reported its first outbreak in poultry for two months, in the east of the country, as well as a suspected human case.
© Copyright Reed Business Information Ltd.
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6912

Disclaimer

<> document.write("Email This Article"); Email This Article

MainPage
http://www.rense.com

This Site Served by TheHostPros

http://www.rense.com/general62/susp.htm

Falcon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 7:58pm

Turkish government accused of slow response to bird flu as human cases rise
14:36:59 EST Jan 12, 2006

DOGUBAYAZIT, Turkey (AP) - Local officials accused the Turkish government on Thursday of moving too slowly to slaughter fowl when bird flu was still confined to birds, as Turkey says the number of people infected with the H5N1 strain climbed to 18.

Mukkades Kubilay, the mayor of Dogubayazit - where three siblings died a week ago - complained that the central government in Ankara had sent in only three doctors and that there were not enough workers to destroy poultry.

"It's an extraordinary situation," she told The Associated Press. "There aren't enough workers. We don't have enough technical people ... We're trying to do it on our own."

National health and agriculture authorities denied they did too little, too late, to contain the outbreak, which was discovered in poultry in December.

"Whoever says that we've responded too slowly has ill intentions," Health Ministry spokeswoman Mine Tuncel said.

Agriculture Minister Mehdi Eker insisted there was no delay in responding to the first reports of infected birds on Dec. 15 and culling of poultry began immediately. "The fight against this disease had been pursued through a clear and transparent policy," he said.

Questions about whether the government acted aggressively enough early in the outbreak emerged as officials tried to contain the disease, which Eker said had been confirmed in 11 of Turkey's 81 provinces and was suspected in 14 others.

European Union experts urged countries bordering Turkey to step up checks on any possible spread of the bird flu outbreak and prepare measures to control the disease.

Turkish health authorities, meanwhile, raised the number of people infected with H5N1 to 18 from 15, after it turned up in preliminary tests on two people hospitalized in southeastern Turkey and in a lung of an 11-year-old girl who died last week in the same region. The girl was the sister of two teenagers who became the first fatalities outside East Asia, where the strain has killed 76 people since 2003.

Although three of the 18 people with the virus have died, several others are in stable condition or show few signs of illness, suggesting the virus may not be as deadly as had been believed. Previously, more than half of those confirmed to have contracted the disease died.

Eight-year-old Sumeyya Mamuk, who became infected with bird flu after embracing dying pet chickens, was released from a hospital in the eastern city of Van on Thursday.

Health Minister Recep Akdag was optimistic. "The EU and the world will see Turkey put its signature on a great success," he told the Cihan news agency. "The fact that we have handled the affair from the onset with openness and determination is a clear indication."

Most human infections have been linked to direct contact with sick poultry, including both of the latest victims, who the Health Ministry said came from the southeastern provinces of Siirt and Sanliurfa.

Authorities said 355,000 birds had been slaughtered countrywide as a precaution, including 27,000 in Dogubayazit.

But Agriculture Ministry workers trying to round up and destroy all fowl in Dogubayazit complained they had only 24 people working in a city of 56,000 and it could take them a month to finish the job.

In Ankara, where three human cases have been detected but the destruction of birds has been confined to the patients' neighbourhoods, former president Suleyman Demirel handed over his own dozen chickens as an example to Turks.

But Zeki Ismailogullari, chief official in the village of Karakent outside Dogubayazit, expressed bewilderment as villagers - including some children who wore masks but handled birds with their bare hands - brought fowl in sacks and wheelbarrows to a destruction site.

"Before, when a guest came to our village, we'd cut up a goose or a turkey for them," he said. "Now what will we cut up?"

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/060112/w011254.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 8:17pm

Posted on Sun, Feb. 19, 2006

India begins mass slaughter of fowl

AJIT SOLANKI
Associated Press

NAVAPUR, India - Health officials and farm workers in protective clothing began slaughtering hundreds of thousands of chickens in western India on Sunday, hoping to prevent the spread of the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus.

Europe stepped up its battle against bird flu as the European Union's top poultry producer, France, grappled with its first reported case of the lethal virus.

European poultry farmers said consumption has fallen and caused hundreds of millions of dollars in losses. Germany ordered some birds killed on the Baltic Sea island of Ruegen. The number of deadly flu cases in Italy rose to 16.

Indian officials reported a 27-year-old poultry farm owner had died of bird-flu-like symptoms, though tests had yet to determine what killed him.

"At this juncture we can only suspect that the cause of his death could be bird flu," Surat district officer Vatsala Vasudev told the Press Trust of India news agency.

Workers in Navapur, a major poultry farming region in western Maharashtra state, dumped bird carcasses and gloves, goggles and blue gowns used by health teams into deep pits at poultry farms.

Bird flu has devastated poultry stocks and killed at least 91 people, mostly in Asia, since 2003, according to the World Health Organization. Most human cases of the disease have been linked to contact with infected birds.

Scientists fear that the virus could mutate into a form that is easily transmitted among humans, sparking a pandemic.

Since early Sunday, more than 200,000 chickens had been killed in Navapur of about 500,000 expected to be slaughtered within a 1.5-mile radius, said Anees Ahmed, the Maharashtra state minister for animal husbandry.

Poultry farms were closed to everyone but health officials and workers in protective gear. Chicken shops were shuttered.

The government has banned the sale or transport of chickens from the area, and checkpoints have been set up to inspect trucks.

India exports some $84.4 million worth of poultry products a year to Europe, Japan and the Middle East, and has seen a rise in overseas orders in the past year as countries such as Indonesia struggled to control bird flu outbreaks.

"Now countries will shut us out," said Ajit Ranade of the Bombay Veterinary College.

Neighboring Nepal on Sunday said it was banning imports of all poultry and poultry products from India, while Bangladesh said it would step up surveillance along its border with India to prevent smuggling of birds into the country.

In Egypt, authorities closed the Cairo zoo after six of 83 birds that died there recently tested positive for the H5N1 strain. Health authorities said tests still had not found the disease in humans.

Egyptian officials, meanwhile, pleaded with citizens not to dispose of dead chickens, turkeys or other birds by throwing them in the roads, irrigation canals or the Nile River.

"More than 90 percent of the cases so far have been found in poultry kept in cages on roofs or balconies of apartment buildings. We ask the people to cooperate and not to dump anything into the Nile, please," Health Minister Hatem Mustafa el-Gabaly said.

France on Saturday joined Austria, Germany, Greece, Italy, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine in the ranks of countries with deadly bird flu in Europe.

Some farmers in the southeastern French town of Joyeux, where the infected wild duck was found, began slaughtering their birds as a precaution.

"I panicked," 64-year-old Gabrielle Josserand said after killing her two geese and eight ducks. "But I chose to act right away."

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/breaking_news/13 907638.htm

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 8:22pm
Sounds like Vietnam is close to sustained H2H with three people people sick in one househould within weeks of each other.  They say they killed a duck, but a couple of weeks passed so that would rule out all of them contracting it from the duck.  It would be nice to see the outcome of the study of the virus in those 3 patients...our 'pros' on here (Joe, Dr. Niman, Rick) should be made aware of this so they can keep an eye out...
Falcon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 8:23pm

Summary:

< =text/> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>
  • A 35-year-old woman who tested positive for the bird flu virus died Friday in south Vietnam, medical officials reported Saturday.
  • A 17-year-old boy, who died on Jan. 15 in Bac Lieu province, also had the virus, said officials.
  • The virus has claimed nine lives in the country since Dec. 30.
  • The high number of victims may indicate the coming of a global pandemic that could cause more devastation than last month's tsunami, the World Health Organization says.
  • "If we continue to experience these frequent new outbreaks with the virus spread both in poultry and people, it finally might result in an awful virus strain that could become a pandemic with a horrendous outcome," said Hans Troedsson, WHO's representative in Vietnam.
  • Three new bird flu deaths were confirmed this week, prompting concerns from WHO about the high fatality rate.
  • WHO fears that the H5N1 bird flu virus could mutate into a deadly human form.
  • It is urging countries and drug companies to speed development and production of a vaccine.
  • So far there are no signs that the virus is being transmitted easily between people.
  • However, WHO says recent epidemiological and laboratory studies reveal unusual features suggesting that the virus may be evolving in ways that increasingly favour the start of a pandemic.
  • There are another nine suspected human cases of bird flu under investigation, including two in hospital in Ho Chi Minh City and four in Hanoi, two of which are in a critical condition.
  • Eighteen of Vietnam's 64 provinces and cities have been hit by the new outbreak of bird flu.
  • Since the end of 2003, outbreaks of bird flu have killed 38 people: 27 in Vietnam, and another 12 in Thailand.

http://www.newstarget.com/004314.html

gee I wonder why they're pushing everyone into coming up with vaccines for humans

Falcon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 8:26pm
Highlight:
Officials in Ohio have seized chicken meat smuggled from Asia to several restaurants and food stores, and they say they intend to step up investigations in the state. The cases are sounding alarms in the wake of concerns about a deadly bird flu virus that has spread across Asia in recent months. Despite the scare, experts say well-cooked poultry, even if it has been exposed to the virus, is probably not a risk.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 11:28pm
The Vietnamese B2H2H2H was the beginning of a sustained H2H string.  I see the date. Hang on tight, we're getting closer to the pandemic. It still needs to evolve.

Mild, mild, mild, mild.  Keep on saying it, and it may come true.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 4:24am
Hold on isn't the Vietnam information old 2003/2004/2005 news. They
haven't had any cases since then. Have they?
Falcon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 5:08am

Avian influenza – situation in India – update

23 February 2006

The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in India has informed WHO that no human cases of H5N1 infection have been detected to date. Tests conducted on samples taken from persons under investigation and their close contacts have yielded no positive results as of today.

Testing has been undertaken at the National Institute of Virology in Pune and the National Institute of Communicable Diseases in Delhi.

It was not clear if samples from a 27-year-old poultry worker from Gujarat State, said to have died of respiratory disease on 17 February, were among those tested.

In India, as in all countries experiencing their first outbreaks of highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza, WHO strongly recommends that patient samples be sent to a WHO collaborating laboratory for diagnostic confirmation. Certainty about the status of human cases in a newly affected country is important for accurate risk assessment.

In addition, analyses conducted by WHO-approved laboratories can yield information about the possible evolution of the virus and clues about how the virus may have arrived in the country. Genetic and antigenic studies of circulating viruses also help ensure that work on the development of a pandemic vaccine stays on track.

this is dangerous, first they say theres human cases then theres none?  So which is it?  They're playing with fire and we're going to get burned for it.  They know something and I got a feeling they're hiding something

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 6:56am
Yeah... The Vietnam story is dated Jan. 2005.
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 1:15pm

From the WHO timeline...Vietnam reports a human case in Nov. 05...so it seems to me as if it NEVER left Vietnam, just not many cases reporting between lulls.  Previous human case was July 05...it's had a lot of time to mutate there...as Joe said, we need to keep our eyes peeled here.  WHO reports no substantial mutation to support H2H, but sounds like the virus is getting closer each day...

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/Timeline_24%2 002.pdf

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 1:21pm
Also note the WHO timeline in no way, shape, or form mentions all of these cases were related.  It states 'sporadic' reporting.  Very different from the article posted above, even if it is from '05.  November of '05 was only 3 months ago...
shrug View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 1:51pm
  • Containing outbreak 'would only delay a flu pandemic' (SciDev.net)
    posted on February 24, 2006 11:41:45 am
    A global flu pandemic cannot be avoided solely by containing an outbreak at its source, because the H5N1 bird flu virus is now so widespread that a form able to spark a pandemic could emerge more than once, say researchers
  • Great idea NM -- keep our eyes on the birdie 

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 3:01pm

For what it's worth. (Posted also by Sniffles.)

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-02-24-voa65.cfm

Third Suspected Human Bird Flu Case in Iraq

By David McAlary
    Washington
    24 February 2006

"The World Health Organization (WHO) reports a possible third human case of bird flu in Iraq following the deaths of two people from the disease in the northern part of the country last month.  Agency officials have allayed fears that the two earlier cases occurred because of transmission among humans...

...There was a concern by the public in Iraq, by the government in Iraq, and by the media that possibly there has been a kind of human-to-human transmission," said Dr. al-Gasseer.  "Our finding is that this was not a human-to-human transmission. The case investigation showed that both the young woman and her uncle had come in touch with poultry that possibly were infected."

(Thanks, Shrug.)

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:12am

Three Suspect H5N1 Children Hospitalized in Manisa Turkey

Recombinomics Commentary

February 23, 2006

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/02240601/H5N1_Turkey_Manis a_3.html

From Niman:

"...A geographical cluster of three patients is cause for concern.  More information on symptoms and possible relationship between D.A. and H.A. would be useful."

(Posted in News by Rick)

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 5:04pm

China sees threat of "massive" bird flu outbreak
    (Reuters) Updated: 2006-02-26 08:34

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2006-02/26/content_ 524014.htm

"...Earlier on Saturday, Xinhua reported that two new human cases of bird flu had been diagnosed in the east of the country.

A Chinese girl in eastern Zhejiang province and a woman farmer in neighbouring Anhui province were currently in critical condition, Xinhua cited the Ministry of Health as saying.

The woman farmer, who was diagnosed on Feb. 11 with symptoms of fever and pneumonia, had come into contact with sick and dead poultry, Xinhua said.

The girl, a nine-year-old from Anji County, had visited relatives who kept poultry but it was not clear how she had been infected, Xinhua said."

kiwi View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 6:58pm

these tests that are being carried out on people with flu, and coming up negative to H5N1 -  yet are still dying because of respiratory illness maybe due to a change in the original H5N1 virus?( maybe now the BF H5N1 has a cousin so to speak?) so does anyone know how H2H testing would be done? since H5N1 is BF then what is H2H flu called?...........would the powers that be, be quick off the mark to tell us?

a few lines out of our local paper dated 25th feb 2006 - waikato times NZ, headline reading, Indonesia lauches war against BF -

South Korea, meanwhile, yesturday confirmed it recorded its first cases of BF spreading to humans in 2003-04. There was no explanation for the delay in reporting the results. - AP.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:07pm

Kiwi,

The authorities look for H2H first by contacts of a case becoming ill.  Any contact who becomes ill at the same time or several days after the first is de facto considered to be exposure from a common source and not H2H.  This is more for their convenience than anything else.  Why look for problems when H2H would present itself by exponential growth of cases and wouldn't be able to be hidden.

Those cases where H2H are apparent even to a casual observer are tested and the genetic makeup analyzed.  They are looking for uniqueness.  Have changes occurred that make it more efficient in transmission.

Hope this helps.

SZ

Corn View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:29pm

I would bet right now there are at least 5 hot zones with H2H.  India, Indonesia- Java, Mylasya, Middle Africa, Mid East (namely Turley and Iraq) and I'm sure 3 or 4 more. You say Who knows? well who don't?

All these false negitives and news that is a day late and a dollar short. All we are fed is a steady supply of government news releases writen backwards like "India says 94 out of 95 test negitive." and so on.

This contact with dead bird excuse is getting pretty old.

We're just lucky it's been mostly poor people infected and dying in place and not the rich world travelers. = (because those infected are mostly impoverished. It doesn't get around as fast.)

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:28pm
    Corn

I cant beleive you just said that you are glad it is poor people and not rich
    people...!!!!

I think you meant that if rich travellers had got it, the authorities would not
    be able to cover up....

it's the We're just lucky I think needs attention

peace
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 9:48am

Five new cases in hospital

Irdiani Mohd Salleh

KUALA LUMPUR, Sat

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/National/20060 226083412/Article/index_html

"Health authorities are conducting house-to-house screenings in the affected area and those found with H5N1 symptoms will be admitted for tests," [Health director-general Datuk Dr Ismail Merican ]said.

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 10:28am

This interview with Dr. Niman from last fall seems exceptionally timely.

http://www.arcticbeacon.com/20-sep-2005.html

Human to Human Passage of Deadly Avian Flu Verified Overseas; World Health Organization Refuses to Acknowledge As True

Microbiologist, Dr. Henry Niman, says don't rely on government to protect against Avian flu since it is "playing catch-up" and vaccines are ineffective against new strains. He warns Avian flu is coming and it could be deadly.

20 Sep 2005

"Although there has been much controversy about whether human to human contact has been confirmed in H5N1 cases, Dr. Niman said 15 to 20 clusters have been uncovered overseas and human to human passage of the deadly virus has been known since 2004."

Corn View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 4:19pm

harpmandoodle,

sorry meant to say....... because those infected are mostly impoverished. It doesn't get around as fast. .......How's that? just typing in a hurry. fruedian slip?

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 7:32pm

I guess Dr. Niman's news is why Elbows thinks we still have some time left.  Seems like it's a little more out of control with the spread to all countries - guess we continue to....wait.....and watch.....and read....and....and....shop.....wait.....read....

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 10:54am

This was just reported in the last 20 minutes. I assume these are new infections?

7 more cases of bird flu detected (from Asian Age)

http://www.asianage.com/main.asp?layout=2&cat1=1&cat 2=23&newsid=211087&RF=DefaultMain

"New Delhi: Seven more cases of bird flu have been detected in Navapur in Maharashtra and Uchchal in Gujarat. "

It's very confusing, as there's no detail or date on the article, but according to the newsnow.co site, which updates every five minutes, this was reported at 18:27 today (from India.)

NM

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:17am

NM you are doing a good job, keep it coming.

Colleen

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:37am
    Yes thanks NM - I think we're going to have to go with our gut and from these articles, and other BF watchers plans to know when to lock ourselves in.  Thanks for all of the research and postings. 
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:40am
    Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm so grateful to have found this board. 
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:10pm

(Hold nose before opening this one...)

CBS News, Feb. 27

WHO: Human Bird Flu Cases Rise

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/27/health/main1349539 .shtml

"...Almost all human deaths from bird flu have been linked to contact with infected birds.

In Indonesia, investigations carried out by local authorities "found reports of chicken deaths in the woman's neighborhood four days prior to her onset of symptoms," WHO said in a statement.

In China, however, one of the patients came from the eastern province of Zhejiang, where there have been no reported animal outbreaks since 2004, the agency said..."

and:

"...But in China, it is believed the 9-year-old girl developed symptoms after a visit to relatives in the neighboring Chinese province of Anhui, where a 26-year-old female farmer also developed symptoms "following contact with diseased poultry."

Edited by northern_mamma
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:44pm

This was posted elsewhere on Saturday, but it seems timely, given the discussion today re: cats as a potential intermediary...

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1578301.htm

Failed Indonesian bird flu response concerns experts 
    AM - Saturday, 25 February , 2006  08:05:00

PETER CAVE: Are you seeing mutations in the virus in Indonesia?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: Yes, that's a good question. We are seeing mutations in the human virus. We are not seeing that same mutation in the bird virus. And that's of great concern.

Basically, when you do an investigation of a bird flu case, you should try to find the virus from the human and match it up with the virus from the bird and find the cause.

Now, in Indonesia, the investigations have been sub-optimal, and they have not been able to match the human virus to the poultry virus, so we really do not know where that virus is coming from in most of these human cases.

PETER CAVE: Does it suggest it's going through an intermediary before it's infecting humans?

PETER CAVE: It's a possibility that we can't rule out. I think they really need to do a lot more investigations. So far the closest match we have to the human virus is from a cat virus. So the cat could be an intermediate. We really don't know what's happening yet. They need to do more studies, they need to get better investigators on the ground to work out what is happening in Indonesia, and it needs to be done urgently.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic