Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

A thread for potential h2h cases?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:25am

I believe they ruled that out later the same day or the next.  I'll see if I can find it again

Can't find it , but the theory was that Indonesians kepted cats as house pets in the city.  But these turned out to be county homes, so cats where ruled out. It must have been on the newsnowbirdflu

northern_mamma View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:55am
Oh, good news, thanks. :-)
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:10pm
2 siblings die of suspected bird flu in Indonesia
www.chinaview.cn 2006-03-02 13:28:07

(No mention here as to whether or not these two kids were exposed to birds or contracted BF from one another.)

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/02/content_4247469 .htm

AKARTA, March 2 (Xinhuanet) -- Two children of the same family died recently of suspected bird flu virus at a hospital in Indonesia's Central Java province, a report said Thursday.

Hanif Cahya Fitri, 12, died at the Moewardi Hospital in the town of Solo late Wednesday, one day after her brother Nandya Kurniawan, 10, passed away at the same hospital, reported Detikcomnews website.

Doctors said the two siblings had developed bird flu symptoms like respiratory problems and high fever.

They had been hospitalized for one week, it said.

Indonesia now ranks second in global casualties caused by the avian influenza. The World Health Organization has confirmed 24 bird flu fatalities in the country. Enditem

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 3:41am
[March 02, 2006>

City hospitals on alert

(The Nation (Pakistan) Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge)LAHORE, FEB 28

(THE NATION) - The hospitals in the city are already on their guard
amidst reports of traces of bird flu in NWFP, arranging to deal any
emergency, taking all the cautions in tackling with the patients. The
hospitals preparedness, in the face of reports of infected birds, was
amply demonstrated when a cloth merchant died here of pneumonia
manifesting bird flu-like symptoms at a local private hospital. Rashid Ali,
25, a resident of Gujranwala and the son of a cloth merchant, was
admitted to a private hospital on February 26 where he was treated for
two days, but died on February 28. "He was fine and
talking to us till 12 noon. We left him in the ICU, but at 4 pm, the doctors
told us that he is dead.

We have been told by the staff that he had died at about 2:15 pm," said
Aamir, a close relative of the deceased. He had been kept in complete
isolation. The body was put in a big plastic bag while all the staff
members were wearing gloves, gowns and masks. Blood samples of the
patient had been sent to the National Institute of Health (Islamabad), and
the report is still awaited.

During the last 11 days, Rashid Ali is the third person of
the same family, who had died. On February 17, his 19-year-old brother
Sajid Ali had died of acute pneumonia while their mother is said to have
died of the same disease on February 24. Abdul Qayyum, one of their
relatives, confirmed this. When asked whether the hospital gave any
instruction regarding pre-burial rituals, he said there were no specified
instructions.

Meanwhile, Director General Health Services Punjab Dr Aslam Chaudhry,
in a circular to principals and Medical Superintendents of teaching
hospitals and EDOs (Health), has said, in order to meet any emergency in
case of occurring of the Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) in the province, and
make arrangements for the items Zip Gowns (Disposable), Latex Gloves
(Disposable), Goggles and Viral Transport Medium (VTM) for the safety of
health care workers.

OUR GUJRANWALA CORRESPONDENT adds: EDO (Health) Dr Zafar Iqbal
Khan Niazi has ruled out the presence of bird flu in Gujranwala, and said
the claim of a man stating that his wife and two sons died because of bird
flu is wrong.

Reportedly, the wife of a local trader Liaquat Ali got flu a couple of weeks
ago. Both the mother and son Sajid Ali were referred to a hospital in
Lahore where they died within two days. Rashid is also said to have
caught the same infection.

These deaths have caused panic in Mohalla Faisalabad and nearby
vicinities. Liaquat Ali told that after first two deaths, he informed the
health authorities about the outbreak of bird flu."But no one bothered to
visit the area," he said, adding that doctors did not reveal the real cause
of their deaths. However, EDO Dr Zafar Iqbal said the doctors were trying
to find out the cause of the deaths, and after their reports, something
definite would be said.

(THROUGH ASIA PULSE)

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-city-hospitals-alert-/
2006/03/02/1424055.htm
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 12:04pm

Azeri official says family may have bird flu

04 Mar 2006 17:38:04 GMT, Source: Reuters

This family keeps chickens, but this is probably still worth keeping an eye on.

www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L04767284.htm

BAKU, March 4 (Reuters) - A top official in Azerbaijan said on Saturday a family of six people could have contracted bird flu, although it was too early to be sure.

"The preliminary diagnosis is severe pneumonia but this is a suspicious case," said Abbas Velibeyev, deputy health minister, on ATV television.

When asked if the family, which keeps chickens and has seen two children die in the last month, was suffering from bird flu, he said: "there is such a possibility."

Azerbaijan, which lies at the crossroads of Asia and Europe, discovered the H5N1 strain of bird flu among wild birds last month. Bird flu has since affected a poultry farm near the capital Baku.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 7:13pm

China confirms 15th human bird flu case

Mar. 5, 2006 at 9:17PM

http://www.washtimes.com/upi/20060305-085953-3184r.htm

"...Those having close contacts with the man have been put under medical observation by provincial health authorities, Xinhua said. Experts say there is no evidence to suggest that China's bird flu virus has mutated to a form that can spread between humans.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 8:01pm
New fears as Chinese man dies of bird flu

James Meikle and agencies
Tuesday March 7, 2006
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1725057,00. html

Health officials in China were yesterday investigating a man's death from bird flu in a province where no poultry outbreaks have been reported since 2004...

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northern_mamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 11:02pm
Government Monitors doctor for bird flu
Reuters, India
Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:11 PM IST170

MUMBAI (Reuters) - A doctor with fever and respiratory problems was under observation in Maharashtra where tens of thousands of birds were culled to contain a second outbreak of avian flu, officials said on Sunday.

The latest outbreak -- in backyard poultry in Jalgaon district of Maharashtra -- was the highly pathogenic H5N1 strain of bird flu, but it has not infected people so far.

However, late on Saturday, a doctor walked into a local hospital and asked to be put under observation, joining a 11-year-old boy with high fever and a history of exposure to dead birds.

"The doctor is not from the affected region and neither was he exposed to dead birds, but we didn't want to take a chance," T.P. Doke, Maharashtra's health director, told Reuters.

Rest of the story here:

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNe ws&storyID=2006-03-19T120507Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-2 41266-1.xml

maryk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 8:18am

10 March 2006
Cumulative Number of Confirmed Human Cases of Avian Influenza A/(H5N1) Reported to WHO
Full text

8 March 2006
Cumulative Number of Confirmed Human Cases of Avian Influenza A/(H5N1) Reported to WHO
Full text

6 March 2006
Full text

1 March 2006
Full text

27 February 2006
Full text

20 February 2006
Full text

13 February 2006
Full text

9 February 2006
Full text

6 February 2006
Full text

2 February 2006
Full text

30 January 2006
Full text

25 January 2006
Full text

23 January 2006
Full text

19 January 2006
Full text

14 January 2006
Full text

10 January 2006
Full text

7 January 2006
Full text

5 January 2006
Full text

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic