Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

How Are You Cutting Down on Spending? - Event Date: October 31 2008 - November 05 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestWind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: How Are You Cutting Down on Spending?
    Posted: October 31 2008 at 10:44am
We have really cut back on our expenses recently.  Everything that costs $ is being looked at two three and four times before being purchases.  How are you all cutting your costs?
Dijoy View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 11:11am
Cooking in a Halogen oven and bought a portable twin tub washer for my smalls
Diane
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 11:22am
yes, except for new heating...  warm='s happy
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 2:33pm

Yes on everything no more soda, tap water will do
                     Less meat, once in two weeks
          No more restaurants or bars, once a month maybe or less if possible
          No new household staff, repair the old one,  or buy from garage sale  
                     Avoid going to the stores the less you go the more you save
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 7:08pm
One of the ways we spent most extravagantly was groceries. We don't eat out because my husband is a chef, but I would often buy fruit/meat/veggies, etc. in bulk (at Sams or Costco) and only use about half before it had to be discarded. I rarely looked at the price of food we bought or planned meals for the week. When I look back on it now, it was terribly wasteful...even when the economy recovers, I will never go back to that irresponsible spending on food and groceries. Now I gather up the store coupons from Sunday's paper (it's my Sunday morning ritual) and make a list of where I need to go and what I need to buy. I don't buy anything that isn't on special. We eat much better and healthier than ever and I'm certain that I've cut our grocery bill by nearly 75%. Groceries for 2 of us are now kept under $75. per week. Keep in mind this includes all medications, paper towels, cleaners, yard and trash bags, liquor, pet food (for 3), grooming products, etc.etc. I'm proud that I've been able to do this. It makes me feel like we really do have control over something!Smile
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 10:02pm
we are pretty frugal as it is. With 2 small kids I double check lights are off, heat is down by 1-2 degrees.  We try to eat more of our left over or make less so we don't throw out as much or have to eat left overs:O)
We don't go on our "adventure rides" we used to do on teh weekends to save on gas, wear and tear on car.
Chopping more wood down on our property to ensure we  have enough firewood for the winter.
Triying to make more as well. Sometimes you can' cut back much more but need to find ways to make more and/or barter as well.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
bluefish View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 10:46pm

This excellent question finally drew me from the ranks of the "observer" reader to become a "registered" one.  Thank you for all the good suggestions on saving money.  It is true the phrase "do without"  sounds terrible, but it is bearable.  One of the things that I hope will help my own household is to grow winter vegetables, we are lucky enough to live in the U.S. zone 7.    Things that my grandmother told me about the depression, are coming back to help us now as well.  It boils down to "Save everything"  and if your neighbor throws something out- save that too.  .

Christmas?  This year  it's gonna be handmade. 
Please send more excellent information on saving money.  It helps everyone.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2008 at 2:53am
We been cutting back on spending like everyone else here. Doing the same things!
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2008 at 7:21am
Well, I have always been frugal on certain things so for us it is hard to cut back on alot of things. Some of the things I already did are:

1. cut coupons, we have a grocery store that doubles $1.00 coupons, I spend about  $100 a month on groceries for 3 people.

2. no car payments- we have 3 older vehicles 1996 van, 1999 Malibu, 2001 Cavalier so we don't have any car payments

3. shop at yard sales and thrift stores

4. sell on Ebay & Craigslist the things I find at yard sales and thrift stores to make extra money because I only work part time, so I am home alot

NEW THINGS we have been doing since prices started getting higher:

1. hanging laundry on the line sometimes (not all the time, but sometimes)

2. not making any extra driving trips, all errands and grocery trips are done to and from work to save on gas.

3. I have not turned the heat  on in the house yet even though it has gotten to 30 outside, we have just put on a sweatshirt indoors and it is not too bad, but yesterday it was back up in the 80's so it's hot out again, we haven't had any AC or heat on in about 2 months yay!.

4. cancelled our home delivered newspaper (yesterday was the last day, we shall see how that goes)

5. broke down and bought a solar blanket for the pool ($121) the initial outlay was alot but in the longrun it will save money because the pool heater won't have to work as hard when we do decide to use it. BUT that will be cut back ALOT, we used to heat it every weekend, wo far we have only heat it once, and probably will only heat it once a month. Plus the solar blanket will extend the swimming season by 2-3 month without using the heater at all, so in the longrun it will save money. However if we just don't use the heater it will save even more money, LOL.

6. Didn't run out and buy a new oven, our oven broke about 4 months ago, the stove part works fine, we have a toaster oven and a microwave and I figured ok the hot months it's not so bad not heating up the house, but now I think I'm going to have to break down and actually BUY one. I have looking in the paper and on Craigslist thinking maybe I could get a used one cheaper, but I have been looking for over a month now and nothing.

7. We have been eating two meatless dinners a week (for my husband that is a big deal, but he seems to have adjusted when I remind him of the economy, LOL) and we have changed our eating habits, we used to eat steak once a week, we don't anymore. We are eating alot of ground turkey because I can get that on sale for $1 a pound, so alot of meals with ground turkey where I normally might have used ground beef such as spaghetti, lasagna, chili, Manwich sandwhich, tacos.

Ways we could do better, but choose not to at the moment. I guess there are ways we could all cut back on more, we could cut back on more but choose not to. We could cut back on my daughters sports activities, but we choose not to, she's 12, plays softball (has played for 7 years) and basketball (has played for 3 years). She pitches for softball (4 years now) and goes to a pitching coach at $25 an hour, there isn't any cost for school practices, but there is cost for cleats, gloves, batting gloves, sliders, sliding shorts, socks, bats, helmets, (uniforms are paid for by the school). For the independent softball team she will play on in the spring we will have to pay for a uniform and the practices are 30 minutes away 2X a week and a game a week, and the school games are sometimes 1-1/2 hours away, so LOTS of gas. Basketball is the same, no uniform costs, but knee pads, baksetball shoes, socks, ball to practice at home with. We are lucky we live 2 blocks from the school/the basketball court and the softball field.  There is alot of money tied up in her sports activites, then it costs $3 a person to go to the games, there is 2 of us and the games are twice a week, it all adds up. Plus we also like to attend CBA Cavalry basketball games. So here is where we could cut back if we had to.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2008 at 7:30am
my GE wall oven is old but it won't die :)

look at this price...

http://shopper.cnet.com/built-in-ovens/ge-profile-advantium-wall/4014-17897_9-33361141.html?tag=mncol;lst
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Mary08 Mary08 wrote:

my GE wall oven is old but it won't die :)

look at this price...

http://shopper.cnet.com/built-in-ovens/ge-profile-advantium-wall/4014-17897_9-33361141.html?tag=mncol;lst

That is a great price! Too bad I need a freestanding stove/oven.
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 11:24am
Our biggest expense is gas and groceries.I spend roughly 400/month on groceries/pet food.I did a lot of canning over the summer so that is what everyone is going to get for Christmas(exceot the 2 boys--probably give 1 game each).I grate my cheese rather then buy it grated.I buy heads of lettuce as opposed to the bags.They last a lot longer.I shop at Winco,Costco,Trader Joes instead of Raleys and Bel-air.That cuts 40% of the cost of food right there.We never were ones to go out--fast food is a real treat for my kids.I don't buy brand names anymore and i seriously look at the specials they have in the paper on the week-ends.I know a lot of people who are completely giving up their vacations this year.I think we are in for a tough couple of years.
Krys View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 7:31pm
I'm not cutting back on anything. Everything is cheap. I bought 2 new trucks, a new trailer, eat out about half the time. My income is going up not down so why not help out the economy. I love it when the shopping is not crowded.
FireHorse
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 10:02pm
If you have the cash a good pick up truck is not a bad thing to have on hand. An RV would be nice to if you cold pay cash for it in case you had to evacuate for some reason or wanted to head to the mountains...but unfortunately we don't have that kind of cash on hand LOL.
Melod
Melody
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 9:53am
Originally posted by endman endman wrote:

Avoid going to the stores the less you go the more you save

You are so right! I try not to go to the store until I absolutely have to. It helps avoid any impulse buys.
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 6:10pm
yes, shopping is wonderful 2 salespeople to help every customer...  I have not seen such assistance.  Our shopping is upgrading our home type shopping.  Sales everywhere.  Gas here is 2.73 per gallon.  feeling guilty, I know it's harder in EU land.  We don't buy take out.  We do like Panera on occasion, 6.99 half sand and soup.  ...no cable.  We listen to music on the internet instead of purchasing it...I like http://www.accuradio.com  I like to buy old records at library book sales.
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 6:41pm

It’s amazing how much you can save if you don’t take shopping cart in the store.

Take a basket instead

Think before you buy ask yourself if you can do without in most cases is yes.

The most important things now is your job, your health, your family and your house.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 6:49pm
Basket, good idea...I nearly fainted when I saw the bill tonight... too late
... you can't put it back :(
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 7:17pm
A basket would never do for us. We need 2 shopping cards. I hate the tiny shopping carts with no bottoms at Marc's. It is a discount store. Was there today. We go only once a month though and stock up on cereal, hot chocolate, coffee, oil, things like that. Then once a week we go to the only local grocery store we have for milk/bread/eggs/OJ. We don't buy anything we don't eat or use.
Melody
Melody
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 1:08pm
It's hard for us to cut much further back.

Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 1:49pm
I work next to 99c store a loaf of bread is 99c not 3.50 like shoprite
Learn to cook like spaghetti Dinner for the family around 2 to 3 dollars try it once or twice a week
Forget about juice or soda drink water instead; trust me its much better for you
Do get paper towels, use regular ones
Heating the house in the winter is the biggest expense for me
Try to get old cast iron stove and get some coal delivered to your house will cut your home heating bill in half 
Clipping coupons doesn’t work for me they trying to sell you something that you don’t need
cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 2:14pm
I've been getting DVDs and CDs form the free public library, they are in the SAILs network, so I can get most any movie ever made, I usually have to wait a week to get them, But I get them for a week for free and usually they have the extra scenes on them, Plus unlike the movie theater , I can replay scenes to get the dialog and The snacks don't cost as much at home. I put my name on the list as soon as the movie goes to the public on CD , so I get them quite quickly, and the picture on the Sony HD LCD TV is Great! Plus old movies are a treat to see on a good TV.
cgh
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 9:25pm
I've been getting movies for years. It's great. You are right...I too get any movie that I can think  of:O) I've got about 6 sitting here for the weekend:O)
Melody
Melody
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2008 at 5:54pm
We've cut back in alot of areas.  Because we're a large family, eating out is very costly!  We now only eat out if we are "celebrating" something.  And we almost always go out for Chinese food.  I am a well experienced cook, but I haven't managed to learn to make good ol' "American Style" Chinese food.  It's a real treat for us when we do go out.  Remember the old days when people dressed up and went out to eat?  That's what we do.  Plus, Chinese food can go along way to feed alot of people.  When we're really running low on funds and want to treat ourselves I'll make a big pot of rice and salad with thousand island style dressing.  (That goes well with Chinese.)  Then I'll get a couple of our favorites and bring them home.  We can feed our family of nine for about $20.00.  And it's a real treat!  Plus, our favorite Chinese place is a locally owned business so we're helping our local economy.

We've done this with our local mom & pop Italian place as well.  I asked if I could order a quart of each of our faviorite sauces.  I brought them home, cooked my own pasta, made my own salad and garlic bread and we ate great for about $17.00!

We've been doing the library thing as well.  My kids have a special day where they can get online and order whatever books they want.  Once a week I go pick everything up.  You'd think it was Christmas when I come walking through the door.  They all disappear and really enjoy the time.  And the way our paid mail movie company has been doing lately, we're probably switching back to soley using the library.

Another thing we're all doing is going back to writing letters to our friends.  Yes, there's the cost of stamps, but it takes awhile for us to actually do the writing so it's a great form of entertainment.  Plus there's the great bonus of receiving a letter back.  That can really make our day!

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2008 at 6:49pm
We have the use of 10 libraries around us, 3 dif cards and one requires we pay a small fee for their system.  So we love the free movies and we order them on line and they call us when they are avail. for pick up.  Has anyone seen the series with Audrey Hepburn ...Gardens of the World?  We also like the youtube for directions on cooking foreign cuisine, making just about anything...we like jewelry making also.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2008 at 12:06pm

I have saved by letting one of our maids go.  We use to drink Fiji glass bottled water but know we drink Evian.  I now fly first class instead of allowing my company to pay for that small private jet.  I will keep my BMW one extra year before trading it in for a new one.  And no more weekly manicures for my canine "Fluffy."  Anything more I may not know what to do with myself.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2008 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Tadeo Tadeo wrote:

I have saved by letting one of our maids go.  We use to drink Fiji glass bottled water but know we drink Evian.  I now fly first class instead of allowing my company to pay for that small private jet.  I will keep my BMW one extra year before trading it in for a new one.  And no more weekly manicures for my canine "Fluffy."  Anything more I may not know what to do with myself.
LOLClap
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 4:50pm
We use coupons for our craft projects and only go to the mall once per week.  Everyone gets to choose a fav meal.  Instead of eating out. 
quickdraw View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickdraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 4:54pm
I have cut way back on everything so I can start saving for my new Obama tax bill. We are all screwed.
Everyday is a good day and if you dont believe that try missing one.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 8:08pm
over 70% of the US economy is consumer spending

the US consumer has shut his wallet

the US economy is going into a depression - and taking the globe with it

I am ready
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 9:36pm
I just watched Charlie Rose on PBS...PBS fan here as we have no 600.00 per yr cable. 
They talked about the ratings agencies wrong doing...how they gave these undeserved ratings out to investment banks dealing in the chunked and formed derivatives...that did not deserve triple A ratings,

and wasn't it interesting that all the bigs that went down had triple A ratings.  Likened to the Fox guarding the hen house.  He also said that they should let Ford go bankrupt.  Not to worry it's a way to reorganize and get debt to a level they can handle.  And the Govt. should not just give them a bail out.  A good show.  I am fall over tired but that was worth it :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic