Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips > Food Storage Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Welcome To Food Storage Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome To Food Storage Tips
    Posted: February 09 2009 at 11:07pm

Hi and welcome to our Pandemic Prepare Site.

Here are a few sites to gleen some tips and ideas for your unique situation and family size.

Please come back often as we will be adding new information.

Add a little food each shopping trip and before you know it, you'll have to look for a closet to put it all in....or under the bed...or in the garage or...

...........................................................................................................................................

Family Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness
By Debi D. Koontz

Emergency Food Preparation and Storage
http://www.nilesema.com/emergencyfoodprep.htm

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 4:49pm
Mary08 do you have a favorite site that has the best shippping, best products that you prefer? have you used www.beprepared.com or www.emergencyessentials.com ?Thanks!:O)
Melody
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 7:48pm
Hi guys, I use http://www.honeyvillegrain.com/ and http://waltonfeed.com/. Honevillegrain has a really cheap shipping of something like 5.00 for everything shipped. Both are very good companies.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 8:09pm
Flumom thanks sooo much. I couldn't remember honevillegrain....I ordered from there before and love them.
Melody
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2009 at 6:17pm

hi.... We eat mainly rice and oats.  I just get them at the grocery or Sam's for rice....Basmati is a favorite.

I may try this...

We deliver a variety of fruit, veggie or mixed fruit & veggie boxes straight to your door. The contents vary every week based on availability.

other areas of the country

This lady tells about using the the Door to Door Organics service

We are sisters-in-law with a shared passion for healthy eating and natural remedies. We believe that disease is preventable and that good nutrition is the key to living a long healthy life. Our hope is to provide practical suggestions and resources for you to begin Living a Whole Life.

and for fun..... if you love YARN

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 3:47pm
I use waltonfeed.com they do not have any big orders in as of 5-1-09.

The people are also wondering why people are not ordering more dry food. Go figure?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 10:16pm

Old time General Store Type Catalog

http://www.lehmans.com/store/USA_Made?Args=

Meatless Meats

http://www.soybean.com/shoppingcart/ecart_products.html

Produce by mail

http://www.diamondorganics.com/prod_detail_list/26

RN-NC View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RN-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 11:58am
I purchased jasmine rice can I freeze this for a while like I do regular rice to kill the bugs?
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 11:20pm
hi... I freeze it...for a few days, First I wrap it up good in a plastic bag or wrap. I freeze pancake mix, gluten free multi flour mix... anything that might have a bug in it :)
FluMaster View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 3:49pm
Alot of great information here, thank you for the links :)
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2011 at 1:29pm

Happy to report, spaghetti kept in the cabinet, non sealed tight, no oxygen absorbers, expired 2008, we have eaten it several times and it was fine. So you have to wonder how much longer would it last if it was sealed and O2 absorbers in it...

And dehydrated peas and carrots, dehydrated in 2009, in a  canning jar with a previously  used  lid, no O2 absorber...been eating them all week in dishes, they were yummy. I did make sure they were thoroughly dried. Making a "tink" or click sound when dropped on the counter. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 7:10pm
I just opened some wide egg noodles I have had since 2008 also. They were in their original bag in one of my water/bug tight containers. They were just great!

I still believe in #10 cans with O2 absober food in my cool basement. It is just cheaper to keep and less hassle with only 2 of us and we don't eat much can food. I only keep cans of tuna and chicken we eat that.

I have to get with my inventory which I still have not done and figure out what I need to get and get rid of. Something to do in October!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 11:55pm
Here is a link to some good information on food storage, code dates/expiration dates, etc.

SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 2:07pm
Anyone looking for freeze dried foods or bulk foods should check out Costco.com and search "emergency food". They have a good selection and great prices.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 2:16pm
Like FluMom, I have been dipping into my rice and noodles from 2006-2008 and have found them to be delicious right out of the original store package. It is nice to know we will not be hungry any time soon! Keep prepping!
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:13am
I mentioned this on another discussion; go to your local LDS cannery. They welcome anyone (don't have to be LDS) who wants to get prepared. They provide #10 cans and some smaller, lids, O2 absorbers, the food itself, the labels and the cannery equipment. All you need to do is put it all together assembly-line style and take it home. Most of the filled cans cost around $5. A very good price I think. The LDS are very friendly and helpful. Give it a try. D
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
starspirit View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 11:11pm
shelreliance.com has good products
starspirit View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 11:12pm
shelfreliance.com

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 2:06pm

Just out of curiosity has anyone been to one of the shelfreliance home parties? I was invited to one last year but was unable to attend, and it just about killed me, lol, I so wanted to go to that, lol. I know they have the shelving systems and sell their own food. I was just wondering how it compared to the other brands of long term storage food? Does anyone know?

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by quietprepr quietprepr wrote:

Like FluMom, I have been dipping into my rice and noodles from 2006-2008 and have found them to be delicious right out of the original store package. It is nice to know we will not be hungry any time soon! Keep prepping!

Same experience here, quietprepr. I cleared some stuff out of the garage a little while ago and found a huge Sterilite container full of packets of pasta - probably at least 50lbs of the stuff. I guess it was put away when I was going through my early prepping "panic" stage (anyone else had one of those?) and I don't even remember doing it. It was already a couple of years past it's expiration date, and I was about to toss the lot when I thought I'd try it. Still in the original packaging it was indistinguishable from new pasta. You'd be surprised how long your preps can last. And I have a lot of rice, beans, flour etc in buckets, sealed in mylar with O2 absorbers that should easily have a shelf life of 10 years or more, especially since they've been kept cool.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
CStackDrPH View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 7:40pm
*A simple, almost painless way to build your food storage is to just buy extra products every time you go to the store. Whenever you buy something, buy two. When something’s on sale, buy the limit. If there is no limit and you can afford it, stock up.

Great advice!  I buy canned black beans by the case at Costco and rotate through them.  Very versatile, no additional water needed, adds extra sodium to the diet etc. 

Don't forget spices!  Survival food can be very bland.  Ground red pepper, dried oregano, whatever.  
CRS, DrPH
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 4:54pm
Have a new freeze dry food manufacturer and I tasted some of their food...really good!

http://www.thrivefreezedried.com/

I am going to purchase some of their fruits and vegies and try some of their meat since I did not try the meat. I purchase by the case in #10 cans. I will only use if TSHTF. Most all of this lasts 25 years so it is a good investment. But if you have a family and want to use this stuff is great!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic