Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Planting gardens to fight the economy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planting gardens to fight the economy.
    Posted: March 06 2009 at 6:57am
The economy is getting worse.
Now we have droughts that will affect the fruits and vegetables we have grown to enjoy each summer in our local markets.
Are you planting a garden for the first time?
Are you expanding your garden?
What are you doing differently this year?

...The net effect of the failures in banking is that a lot of people have less money than they expected they would have a year ago. This is bad enough, given our habits and practices of modern life. But what happens when farming collapses? The prospect for that is closer than most of us might realize. The way we produce our food has been organized at a scale that has ruinous consequences, not least its addiction to capital. Now that banking is in collapse, capital will be extremely scarce. Nobody in the cities reads farm news, or listens to farm reports on the radio. Guess what, though: we are entering the planting season. It will be interesting to learn how many farmers "out there" in the Cheez Doodle belt are not able to secure loans for this year's crop.
My guess is that the disorder in agriculture will be pretty severe this year, especially since some of the world's most productive places -- California, northern China, Argentina, the Australian grain belt -- are caught in extremes of drought on top of capital shortages. If the US government is going to try to make remedial policy for anything, it better start with agriculture, to promote local, smaller-scaled farming using methods that are much less dependent on oil byproducts and capital injections....
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 8:40am
link does not work?
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 8:47am
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 9:12am
I was going to put this under March Prepping, but thought it might do better here.

This year I'm going to try something different with my potatoes.  We have a large family and we eat a lot of potatoes!  When I tried to grow enough for us it used a HUGE amount of water.  To combat this I'm expanding on the potatoes-in-a-barrel concept.  The best part is it won't matter if your ground is frozen because you start on the top.

We're taking pallets, whipping them together with haystring (any heavy string/cord will work) and turning it into an open-bottomed box that sits on the ground.  Layer the bottom with a heavy coating of straw if you're working on frozen ground.  Then add a good layer of dirt.  Place the potato seedlings on the dirt and cover with more dirt.  As soon as you see anything growing through the top add more dirt.  When you water it will go straight down and not be wasted.  Just continue this until mid summer.  By the time you get through you'll just about have filled your pallet box.  Then let the plants come up like normal.  In the fall, cut the strings and the box will drop open.  Get your potatoes out and there you have it.  The best part about this method is no one will know you're growing a staple food.  The box or boxes will look like compost bins.

If you get confused, just look up info about growing potatoes in a barrel and go bigger.  Or, if you have the barrel just use that.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 7:44pm
Thanks Wishbone, not sure why the other link stopped working.
WOW  ParanoidMom, you contribute such unique ideas! Thanks!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 8:24pm
  ParanoidMom - I have to try that. Thank you Thumbs%20Up
  As I posted in the March prepping thread, I'm in the process of clearing out the junkyard that passes for our garden with the intention of growing some veg back there. I bought the new version of "Square Foot Gardening" and I'm hoping to get something going in the next few months. I'll have to grab some pallets from work.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 4:14am
Hi all! Seems like every year i keep planting more and more and end up giving some of it away.I wish that I could find someone that does canning as at this time we dont have the time for it. We do however freeze and dehydrate vege's. We also have peach and apple trees and a couple plums.. My best,Coyote
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 8:09am
Well, I have my catalogue order ready to send out. I decided against the grafted fruit trees and bushes I talked about in March prepping because as I looked further in the catalogue I found a better deal on a bundle, but I did decide to stay with dwarfs. So I am ordering a dwarf orange, tangerine, lemon and lime tree/bush. I will keep them outside near the pool in the summer then move them into the house in the winter, they are supposed to produce full size  fruit within a year. Then I ordered some 1 year old grape vines. A dwarf banana tree grows to 5-6',so same thing it will go by the pool in summer and in the house in the winter, will produce 5" bananas in 2-3 years. Then I ordered some cherry tomato seeds, I purchased lettuce seeds the other day and plan on planting some in pots and keeping in the kitchen this weekend and just grow some year round (inside and outside) will grow some outside in summer too, see which does better. Then I decided I would purchase a regular plum tree at a store here in town, because I want a larger tree than what the catalogue has instead of the grafted one, since we already have a peach and apple tree. I told DH we are going to grow all this stuff this year, he said he wasn't a farmer, I said oh well, he was going to have to help, he said he would to save money and he got all excited when I told him we were getting the plum and tangerine tree (his favorites, LOL). I suggested maybe we build a green house and grow year round/longer growing season and he suggested we tear down one of the shed's (that just has just and mostly junk could be thrown away) and buld a green house there. Then I started wondering if somehow the sides of the old shed could be used and maybe the roof could be changed out to a green house type roof? Guess I would need to do some research. There is 2 existing windows in the shed now, but not enough light to use it as one, but it does get really hot in there, LOL, it's corrugated metal, but maybe with a change out of the roof it might work. Any expert gardeners know about something like this?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 11:54am

I am anxious to hear what you learn about your greenhouse project. Be sure you have the light for warmth. A neighbor here in East Texas built a green house and the cost of electricity ended the project rather quickly. Another neighbor used PVC pipe as it would flex. Really a neat job. We run our bath water to the 20 new fruit trees. I have to hand water the 40 pecan trees, takes nearly three hours to water 2 inches for these four-five year old newly planted trees, something I was not prepared for time wise. I know this will pay off, we are just so dry right now. Burn bans already in place.

I planted twelve strawberry plants and now have twelve asparagus plants going on their second year in a raised bed. I am now feeding a two week old calf. My neighbor's cow died from birth complications. He gave me the calf. I'll wean the calf, he will take the calf back to his pasture and will pay for the feed and I will feed it out the last two months and we will split the meat. Bartering seems to be really becoming popular. I also mow, edge and pickup sticks for a large round bale of hay each time, which helps me feed my 19 mother cows and 1 angus bull (Lewie).

I just put up an 8x8 chain link fence that I hope to raise some chickens. Still reading about how to do this. I just learned about chicken house tractors that you move about on your lawn. Free fertilizer, eggs and a nice home for the hens. LOL, I love learning about this stuff. Neighbors are starting to call this place the "Funny Farm". I have one neighbor that catches a hog to several a week on our place.

We bought 170 acres of raw land and are mowing and taking out trees, and more trees, over the past five years. This week we have moved into the barn that we've made into a home. My husband is excited about getting the shop all for his hobbies now that we are moving out of it. I'm feeling more prepared for power outages, food shortages, heating issues, etc. than I have in the past five years we've been preparing with so many of you. Thank you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 2:40pm
I would like to make that potato tower... I wonder if it can be done with potting soil? is there a safe one to use for food?  I thought I could build it up without using ground soil as we are on the side of a hill and many use chem lawn.  I wish I had a farm :)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 8:00pm
Mary08 yes you can make that potato tower with potting soil...add a bag of top soil for a little substance. I am going to try one in my back yard this year. It will kill the grass right under it but I am going to put it in a spot that does not grow grass well. I always add in osmocote (sp) because it feeds the plants for 3 months.

Everyone that is really ready to plant please take a really good look at what vegies you purchase at the grocery store and or what can vegies you use. It has taken me 5 years to stop planting vegies I do not use, freeze, dry or can. Here is my list:

5 Tomato plants...2 Roma, 2 Table Type, 1 Cherry I eat, dry and make green tomato relish with what does not ripen before frost.

4 -5 Zucchini plants eat, freeze, and dry

80 onions, use and dry whole in fall put in garage use all winter

Garlic dry in fall use all winter

Romain lettuce...easy to clean and grows great eat all summer

Oriental Peas eat and freeze use all winter

Green beans eat and freeze, tried drying never used because not in a pandemic or emergency

I rotate the Oriental peas when they are finished the green beans take over.

I have herbs that I use but that is a long list. I use them and dry them all.

I use to do potatoes but took up too much room but now I am going to do the potato tower.

My garden is 84 feet by 2.5 feet. Like I said do not waste garden space on items you will not use.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 8:01pm
   Mary08 - I was so intrigued by the whole potato in a barrel thing I did a search for it and found a great article in Mother Earth News. They used sawdust of all things. You can read the article here,

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/1980-03-01/Taters-in-a-Barrel.aspx
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 9:08pm
thank you both for the info.  It would be fun to take pictures of our plants (no laughing allowed :)  and post them here. ..mine will be in pots...hope I can put sugar snap in a big pot.  I have no idea on garlic, I love it and would like to plant the kind that is very strong and has a tough stem when it dries.  they are expensive in the H. food store.

I went looking for gardening videos and found...

P. Allen Smith

Many videos to click on...topics shown down left side.

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 10:34pm
We took our house off the market today for at least the next 2 years so we are excited that we can grow a garden this year. We might even get chickens! My mom used to have them when my dad was a live and the eggs are soooo good compared to store bought.
So now I can start stocking up again. I had left our storage dwindle since we had our property for sale and didn't want to move it all IF it sold but now that we are staying for a while I can stock up. Yeah! I sure will feel better about it.
Melody
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 8:19pm

A pretty nice place to be living in :)   so, I picture you with those pastel colored eggs.  Is that type chicken hard to get?  I'll let you know what I hear from the local Mormon church on storage in cans.  They must have distribution centers, hope it isn't far away.  Do you  plan to try cans?

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 8:26pm
Mary08, do you mean me? We will be checking with the mill on Tuesday to see if they have eggs yet...and go from there. My neighbor is a Mormon...she is the lady who we bought all the property from..not just ours but my moms, brothers...it was a tree farm. She is in her late 70's.
Cans? Maybe you mean someone else? Wasn't sure if you were takling to me or not. lol
Melody
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 9:44pm
hi...(yes)   I saw a site a while back where the Mormons put up food in cans.

I think I got this site from AFT members
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 5:45am

Nutrition Study May Give Potato New Respect

Pullman, Wash. -- The potato, shunned by Americans for its high carbohydrate content, may be healthier than we give it credit. A new study at Washington State University is examining some of its nutritional benefits.

Brightly colored potatoes, such as purple, red and yellow, contain higher levels of antioxidants compared with white potatoes, according to Boon Chew, WSU professor of nutritional immunology. Antioxidants help to prevent diseases by improving the human immune system.

"We want to be able to have our pie and eat it too so to speak," Chew said, referring to being able to eat potatoes at the same time as improving health.

The study, which will begin within the next two to three weeks, will involve feeding participants different recipes made with different colored potatoes once a day for six weeks straight. The participants will then be tested for the strength of their immune systems, anti-inflammatory response and antioxidant levels.

Chew and Jean Soon Park, WSU assistant research professor, will compare the health-related benefits of white, yellow and purple potatoes. They are working with Chuck Brown and Roy Navarre, USDA Agricultural Research Service plant geneticists, at the WSU Prosser Irrigated Agriculture Research and Extension Center, to identify potato varieties that have the highest antioxidant content. Brown is growing the potatoes for the feeding study.

Kerrie Kaspar, a doctoral student working on the project, said the potatoes will be prepared in different kinds of recipes to make sure the participants do not get tired of eating the same thing. Kaspar said they will prepare recipes like traditional mashed potatoes and au gratin.

The study group consists of non-smoking males, ages 18 to 40. According to Chew, it would be easier to recruit this type of group in Pullman's college atmosphere. He said women would not be as easy to recruit to eat potatoes once a day compared to men because of the fear of putting on weight. Each participant will receive a $100 at the end of the study.

The specific age group of non-smokers was chosen because all of the participants had to be consistent in order for the study to finish with consistent results.

The study has already recruited 40 participants, which is well over the number needed to show a statistical difference. Chew said the more participants the better so they are prepared for people who dropout in the middle of the study.

The study is one of three being funded by a three-year $114,000 grant from the Washington State Potato Commission

Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 5:59am

Tiny Tubers Pack Powerful Punch Nutritionally
by Kathy Barnard, CAHNRS Marketing & News Services

When it comes to nutritional value, baby potatoes are proving to far outstrip their adult counterparts, according to Roy Navarre, USDA Agricultural Research Service research geneticist and adjunct professor with Washington State University.

In preliminary trials at WSU's potato research center here, Navarre and his team are harvesting 71 different varieties of potatoes at between seven and 10 weeks of growth. Phytonutrients such as folate, or Vitamin B9, and other antioxidants appear in much higher levels in baby tubers weighing around an ounce, Navarre said.

"One of our goals is to help restore the healthful image of potatoes," Navarre told those attending the WSU Potato Field Day in late June. "Demand has been falling, and we think one answer is to develop high nutrient potatoes consumers will want."

One way to do that is to enhance the metabolic pathways that produce the target nutrients using classical breeding and/or molecular approaches. Navarre's research includes collaborations with those working in potato breeding, agronomy, physiology and biochemistry like WSU professors Rick Knowles and Mark Pavek to flex those new genetic technology muscles.

If the team succeeds, Navarre said, the industry stands to make a true difference in the health of potato consumers. Potatoes are the fourth largest crop in the world. "It's hard to think of a better crop for improving the overall health of consumers," he said. "Potatoes are something we eat pounds of every year. It's a staple crop in this country and abroad."

He is also optimistic about the economic impact of the research. "This could be a show case project that could lift the whole industry,"  Navarre said.

Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 6:01am
I eat potatoes but nutritionally they are worst then white rice. Plus they are very high on the glycemic index. Then again some stores have them for 10 cents a pound. Lay's potato chips sound good right now!

Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 6:26am

Study Provides Additional Evidence That Potato Chips Should Be Eaten In Moderation

A new study published in the March 2009 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by Marek Naruszewicz and colleagues from Poland suggests that acrylamide from foods may increase the risk of heart disease. Acrylamide has been linked previously to nervous system disorders and possibly to cancer. After ingesting large amounts of potato chips providing about 157 micrograms of acrylamide daily for four weeks, the participants had adverse changes in oxidized LDL, inflammatory markers and antioxidants that help the body eliminate acrylamide - all of which may increase the risk of heart disease. Additional research is needed in long-term studies of people consuming typical amounts of acrylamide (averaging about 20 to 30 micrograms).

It is recommended that FDA and the food industry continue to decrease acrylamide in foods by improving food processing technologies. FDA reports that acrylamide is particularly high in potato chips and French fries (
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/acrydata.html).

According to American Society for Nutrition Spokesperson Mary Ann Johnson, PhD: "Consumers can reduce their exposure to acrylamide by limiting their intake of potato chips and French fries, choosing a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low fat meat and dairy products, and quitting smoking, which is a major source of acrylamide."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/139096.php

Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 6:54am
THIS CHART IS GOING TO ALTER MY FOOD CHOICES:

Survey Data on Acrylamide in Food: Individual Food Products

SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 7:09am
We started a method of gardening this year by developed by Jacob Mittleider.  I was sold when I saw the pictures of how his gardening methods worked even in the deserts!!!  (I am not a sales rep).

Google Food For Everyone and it should come up. 

You can grow vast amounts of food in a small space using these methods.  We just dug 150 lbs of new potatoes.

We also have chickens and at one time was getting 2 doz. eggs per day and started freezing them.  They will keep for a while that way.
SheepLady
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 1:37pm
Thanks for the info... I am looking over this link.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 1:57pm
Click on photos to see larger... i have some flower beds raised up like this...

SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 2:17pm
Those are really nice.  If it were not for raised beds my garden would have drowned in May (I think it was May) anyway one month we had rain almost every day.  The raised beds kept the roots out of the water!!! 

My potatoes came from two 30+ foot raised rows.
SheepLady
organicnut1 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote organicnut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 10:17am
A subscription to MOther Earth News is a great prep investment.  I save all the issues.
If things really head south and there is not internet or visits to the local library, I have all the information I need for growing food on my bookshelf.  I am out of work this summer and put together a barter system with a local organic produce farmer.  I help him prepare for his midweek farmers market on Thursdays and in return he gives me all his " seconds" of produce.  Yesterday, he gave me about 20 lbs of potatoes - purple and fingerlings.  I am going to pressure can them - not letting organic food go to waste !!!  Here is my aresenal of books :

Great Garden Companions  - Author Sally Jean Cunningham

The Organic Gardeners Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control -
Author Barbara W. Ellis and Fern Marshall Bradley ( Most Fantastic Book !)

The Solar Food Dryer - Author Eben Fodor

Root Cellaring - Author Mike and Nancy Bubel

The Winter Harvest Handbook - Author Eliot Coleman

I purchased my pressure canner in 2005 when I first learned of this forum and have been garden prepping ever since.  We rented a 30 x 60 garden plot from our local city for $10.
It is doing very well.  I have been picking up packs of jars and lids for years so had everything I needed except the veggies.  Canned 31 pints of green beans this week.
The books have been invaluable - well worth the investment and I will have them for years to come.  Read, read, read.  There is always something to learn.  Good Luck to all you fellow gardeners!
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 2:47pm
SheepLady
doomsmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 2:53pm
I too had purchased more canning jars and lids and we planted an extra large garden.  Lost the whole garden  in a hailstorm a couple of nights ago in the middle of the night.  Bummer.
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 3:02pm
Sorry to hear that. 

It is not too late yet.   Plant kale now.  Celery likewise, turnips, beets, cabbage, broccoli, etc.  But you probably know that.  If you cover the kale well with straw it might survive an entire winter.  Mine did.  I am not the gardening expert, just trying to share what has worked for us in the past.  You can also grow under plastic wind tunnels well into the winter.  You can make them with plastic and PVC pipes anchored to the ground. 

SheepLady
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 3:31pm
I keep all my old copies of Mother Earth News also! Tons of information in those magazines.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 8:49pm
Doomsmom, sorry to hear you got hit with that storm the other night. I did not get hit, just the luck of the draw. Sheeplady is corret you can do a fall planting. With all this cool weather I would plant some peas, I like the orential peas but any kind of pea will do.

All the suggestion above are only good if you will eat those vegies like my suggestion of peas don't eat peas don't plant. I would try to do some onions if you can find sets and garlic. I think most people use onions and garlic. I pull mine in October and let them dry in the shade on my porch and then store them in my garage which never gets below 40 degrees.

I had a year where a hail storm got my garden...pull yourself up and just figure next year will be better.   That is what I did. I also took time that year to pick rose hips and make rose hip jelly. Go out there and get some wild rose hips in September. I also made chokecherry jelly but I would not be able to identify a chokecherry today but I bet the farm women out where you live could help you. I had a farm friend 30 years ago that knew where and what a chokecherry was. LOL...wish I could remember.

Again I am soooo sorry about the hail but hang in there.
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 4:33am
Hi, FluMom,

You are so right about the onions, peas, and garlic!!!

Was wondering whether you have ever made elderberry jelly or jam? 

I have read our American version of elderberry is a cousin of the one used for Sambucol.  Am not really using it for its healing properties though I suppose you could, but mainly for edibles.  The only case of poisoning I could find was in CA where they used the leaves and branches to make a drink and everyone got very sick.  It is plainly stated that the leaves and bark are poisonous, but I was just wondering if you had ever made a jam out of them. 

I am talking about the blackish purple in the Northeast.  Have also read you can make a very good coffee from dandelion roots. 

I looked at the pictures of chokecherries and they look a lot like what we call wild cherry.  Leaves are very toxic to livestock and I know them very well, but will do more research to be sure I am right about the fruit.
SheepLady
jody05 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 2:07pm
Sheeplady    How do you freeze your eggs? Can it be done in the shell??
lurking since 2005 with a looong memory
for everything that has transpired on this site!
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 5:30pm
I make sure they are fresh, clean of manure.  Wash in warm water with some dish soap, not a lot.  Dry the whole egg shell.  Very carefully crack them into a dish, making sure you have no specks of blood, smell, etc. 

My eggs are my own, no one else's, and I monitor my flock very closely to be sure they are healthy.  Then I package them in the amount we might need for cake or scrambled eggs in your favorite freezer bags.   You can freeze only whites, only yolks or mix very gently like you would for scrambled eggs.  When you thaw them, you can run some cold water on them or let them sit at room temperature but you must use them right away within say 24 hours. 

This is what has worked for me and I have done this for several years.  You must be absolutely certain to use good eggs.  I have to say, unfortunately, I make no guarantees as to outcomes because of the many variables in  the nature of keeping chickens.  So I have to put this disclaimer here.  I have to stress I know my flock is healthy, free rangers. 

In the older days, people used to pickle eggs and I have read they kept for a long time that way. 

Hope that helps!!!
SheepLady
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 5:31pm

Forgot to mention you would not use one with a cracked shell, lol.

SheepLady
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 8:09pm
Sheeplady I have never made elderberry jam/jelly. Only Rose Hip and Crabapple from my yard. If I don't know what it is I don't use it. So I am real limited. LOL, with Rose Hip and Crabapple and grapes I don't need anything else.

Rose Hip is high in Vitamin C.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 8:13pm
My granny used to make Elderberry jelly, they grow wild around here. I have only made blackerry jelly and peach jam  and apricot jam, my mom and I used to go pick the wild fruit and make it every year. I have not made any since she passed away 4 years ago.
MamaBear4 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaBear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 8:08am
Has anybody tried the square foot gardening method? Recently got the book and it  looks interesting.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 7:03pm
I kinda square foot garden. My garden is 85 feet by 2.5 feet wide. I use every inch. I have onions planted in front of my cucumbers. I have one row where I have my garlic then green beans that take over the fence from the spring peas on the fence usually in June. This year no green beans too cold and too much water. I have an herb garden at one end. Could put in more herbs but won't use them so no use.   

I only plant what we will eat. Took a long time to figure that one out. I still plant carrots but they never grow very big but I like what they look like in the garden.

I really want to make two potato towers but I have to decide where to put them next year. I may replace two of my five tomato plants with the potatoes.   

So square foot somewhat!
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 8:31pm
Hi, FluMom.  Here is a web site that teaches a lot about Native American uses for things like rose hips and clover blossoms.  http://www.kstrom.net/isk/mainmenu.html#mainmenutop
Near the bottom of the page a section about Native American plant lore backed with scientific facts from AGIS.  If you will look under roses, I think you will be amazed about rose hips.

Penham, I too was a young berry picker and it was a whole family event despite the grumbling that usually accompanied sore hands.  I still have fond memories and still pick the wild blackberries to this day but usually cheat and just add pectin and sugar for quick freezer jam instead of cooking them.  How do you do it?
SheepLady
Wicker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 3:56pm
MamaBear4 View%20Drop%20Down ... We have been using this method for 3 years now. I love it. We still have a row garden as well. We use the Square foot garden for the smaller plants. Onions, garlic, herbs, lettuce, cabbage etc. We plant our squash in large pots. Corn and green beans in the row garden. All in all we have had much success over the past 3 years.

Wicker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic