Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Why so much alarm about Swine Flu?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why so much alarm about Swine Flu?
    Posted: April 24 2009 at 3:53pm
It mystifies me. Several months I was covering a huge outbreak moving through most of U.K. and Europe. Hospital beds full, condition near red in many areas, and then in the middle of February media coverage stopped. We have proof of person to person transference in Avian years ago. In Indonesia, the death rate is 83%.

So- two children get sick in San Diego- maybe a thousand in Mexico- and suddenly they are talking Pandemic.

Here is the deal on Swine Flu.

Mexico is contending with an outbreak of swine flu, suspected in the deaths of dozens of people and sickening perhaps 1,000. In the United States, at least eight cases have been confirmed with the infection, all of them in California and Texas; only one person was hospitalized. Here are some questions and answers about the illness:

Joel Warner....

The Sky is Falling: An Analysis of the Swine Flu Affair of 1976

by Joel Warner

In 1976, due to an outbreak of influenza at Fort Dix, New Jersey, the United States set a precedent in immunology by attempting to vaccinate the entire population of the country against the possibility of a swine-type Influenza A epidemic. While a great many people were successfully immunized in a very short period of time, the National Influenza Immunization Program (NIIP) quickly became recognized as a failure, one reason being that the feared epidemic never surfaced at all. But this massive undertaking deserves more analysis than just a simple repudiation. For example, all evidence linked to the pathology, microbiology, and historical cycle of influenza and the outbreak at Fort Dix suggests that the reactions of the scientists and other personnel involved in the NIIP were correct. However, one must also acknowledge the many complications and misjudgments that plagued the program after its initiation, from biological difficulties, logistical problems, to tensions with the media. The swine flu is a historical event that needs to be evaluated, regarding both its successes and its failures, so that lessons can be learned for future immunization programs.

Quesiton: Is there money to made here? Definitely. The crash program we were headed for with Tamiflu which later proved to be moderately useless against Avian, could be quickly initiated here for big bucks.

The questions is- what is the real death rate as compared to Avian in Vietnam and Indonesia? Are we seeing 63% and 83% CFR?

How is it we have been trying to get this type of media coverage in Europe and U.K. with almost the entire hospital system about to crash or in the Netherlands- and its all over the evening news?

Is someone trying to scare someone?

If I were a raw materialist I would do an Elton John, change the lyrics of Pandemic Now to fit Swine flu like Candle in the Wind from Marilyn Monroe to whom most of the living is a non-memory to Lady Di- to whom is becoming not much more as time passes.

Is it because its in Mexico?  Since we have a large minority population, does this now strike a chord which will sell ad space and papers?  Are people so weary warn of waiting for the Pandemic that now its time to finally be right and have all that prepping and worrying justified with something that has something like 2 deaths out a thousand. What is the CFR on that?   .2% compared to 63% worldwide for Avian and 83% for Indonesia.

For one source it is .44% for ordinary non-resistant TB which is perennial.

1976: President Gerald Ford orders a nationwide vaccination program to prevent a swine-flu epidemic.

Ford was acting on the advice of medical experts, who believed they were dealing with a virus potentially as deadly as the one that caused the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic.

The virus surfaced in February at Fort Dix, New Jersey, where 19-year-old Pvt. David Lewis told his drill instructor that he felt tired and weak, although not sick enough to skip a training hike. Lewis was dead with 24 hours.

The autopsy revealed that Lewis had been killed by "swine flu," an influenza virus originating in pigs. By then several other soldiers had been hospitalized with symptoms. Government doctors became alarmed when they discovered that at least 500 soldiers on the base were infected without becoming ill.

conclusion: so for now I will watch and wait. Of course, I will finish my writing.. since it really doesn't matter what virus it is, the song remains the same.

Is it flu season anymore? Not really? What happened to all the - well its not flu season any more so its not a problem- flu is over.  Guess flu is not over.

We were writing about recombination and how three strains merged in Egypt and no one was particularly interested. In fact, there is a new strain of some kind now.

But, what can one say.

US medical authorities expressed strong concern Friday about an unprecedented multi-strain swine flu outbreak that has killed at least 60 people in Mexico and infected seven people in the United States.

"It's very obvious that we are very concerned. We've stood up emergency operation centers," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) spokesman Dave Daigle told AFP.

One major source of concern was that the virus included strains from different types of flu.

"This is the first time that we've seen an avian strain, two swine strains and a human strain," said Daigle, adding that the virus had influenza strains from European and Asian swine, but not from North American swine. 

comment1: geez what about the swine flu strains we were posting about in China last year and the Avian right next them. Anybody follow up on that?

comment: I've been posting on the Pack Theory for more than a year- the one where there are multi-strains (3-4)  traveling together.  So this is so revolutionary... We have been talking about H1N1, H3N2, and H7 for months. 

Its infected 7 people in the U.S.

So much for the calm and non-alarmist reaction from the medical community. Just exactly what do they plan to do against a virus that is multi-strain and mutating?

So much for not even hinting about a Pandemic before everyone is in place and prepared. Nope, the media with 7 people in the United States infected is talking Pandemic.

Well, maybe I have given jaded a new meaning to myself. I guess I should go back to writing about building brick stoves and organizing communities when there are BITS (Bodies in the Streets).

But you see.. this is the kind of Pandemic that was wanted all along. Everyone can shine on this one with an extremely low CFR, massive need for vaccine that they maybe can make and "everybody" needs. What a money maker.

Now here is the deal. Mexico City  is shut down and everyone is wearing masks? Why? Our flu season in Bluefield was worse than this. I ran a 103 degree temp for a week. So did many of us. My son ran 105. There were no reporters at the hospital for Skye- baby being washed down to lower temp because he has the flu and almost died.

Weird science.

Well, give it a week. Let us see the numbers in the week. And then if the numbers are not scary- well give it a month- then we will get back to prepping for the real thing.

Medclinician

I smell the scent of research, grants, and drug company money. What a great way to get our mind off the economy, social security, unemployment (General Motors shut down.. any news of that tonight.. I mean for every job lost- another 10 will be gone) for months. Nope-a lot of workers are going home tonight who won't a job for months. That is the real news.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 4:05pm
Hi Med, there are 1000 infected in the last 30 days with a CFR of .07%, which is equal to that of the Spanish Flu.  Because this flu virus has adapted to humans, and made the leap as they say, it now has the "potential" to sweep the globe in a matter of weeks.  "Flu" viruses have more potential to spread globally than compared to other viruses that tend to usually die out.  A flu virus just doesn't die out as easy, and they only get worse.   So it's the "potential" of what this particular new virus might do.  The 1918 h1n1 strain killed 20 million in the first 6 weeks, and experts fear that this one has the potential to spread in that same capacity.  Sustained human to human transmission is rare, but when it happens with a flu virus, it could be all she wrote.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Hi Med, there are 1000 infected in the last 30 days with a CFR of .07%, which is equal to that of the Spanish Flu.  Because this flu virus has adapted to humans, and made the leap as they say, it now has the "potential" to sweep the globe in a matter of weeks.  "Flu" viruses have more potential to spread globally than compared to other viruses that tend to usually die out.  A flu virus just doesn't die out as easy, and they only get worse.   So it's the "potential" of what this particular new virus might do.  The 1918 h1n1 strain killed 20 million in the first 6 weeks, and experts fear that this one has the potential to spread in that same capacity.  Sustained human to human transmission is rare, but when it happens with a flu virus, it could be all she wrote.   

Hey there Albert. Well, I sure am feeling like the lone wolf on this one. Here is the data I am getting.

Epidemiologists are particularly concerned because the only people killed so far were normally less-vulnerable young people and adults. It’s possible that more vulnerable populations — infants and the aged — had been vaccinated against other strains, and that those vaccines may be providing some protection.

All eight U.S. patients recovered from symptoms that were like those of the regular flu, mostly involving fever, cough and sore throat, though some of them also experienced vomiting and diarrhea.

How is this new?

http://www.answers.com/topic/swine-influenza

"In swine, 3 influenza A virus subtypes (H1N1, H3N2, and H1N2) are circulating throughout the world. In the United States, the classic H1N1 subtype was exclusively prevalent among swine populations before 1998; however, since late August 1998, H3N2 subtypes have been isolated from pigs. Most H3N2 virus isolates are triple reassortants, containing genes from human (HA, NA, and PB1), swine (NS, NP, and M), and avian (PB2 and PA) lineages

H5N1 made the jump from bird to human and also probably H2H two years ago and this was verified by published papers in Washington state.

Currently the cancer death rate in the United States per year is .2%

Will a .007% CFR even effect the infrastructure?

I guess I have been looking at some new CFRs for the Pandemic of 31%.

One thing is for sure. The makers of Tamiflu are going to make a lot of money on this one. The only problem is it is likely to mutate as it did in the H1N1 types to be resistant. It has been said the older people aren't getting it because the vaccines they have had are effective. Also, the question is also- how much herd immunity does the general population have to this already. In 4 weeks- let's go back to 1918 - how much had it spread?

Well, this is how fast it spread...

Early in the morning of March 11, 1918, a young private reported to the Army hospital at Fort Riley, Kansas, complaining of fever, sore throat, and headache. Then, another sick soldier appeared, then another and another. By noon, the hospital had more than one hundred cases; in a week, there were five hundred. Forty-eight soldiers died at Fort Riley that spring. No one knew why.

So in the U.S. in one hospital we had a 500% spread in one week.

In September, the disease spread to the civilian population. It moved swiftly down the eastern seaboard to New York, Philadelphia, and beyond. Anna Milani remembers sitting on her front step one day: "Diagonally across from us a fifteen-year-old girl was just buried. Toward evening, we heard a lot of screaming going on. In that same house, a little eighteen-month-old baby passed away." That month, 12,000 Americans died of influenza.

It was a flu unlike any other. People could be healthy in the morning and dead by nightfall.

Is this the prognosis we are seeing for this virus? One interesting thing is the lack of specific symptom information, fevers (I did hear 104 in one case).

back to present time...

testing indicates some mainstream antiviral medications work against the virus. So we already have, so far antivirals that work. This they did not have in 1918.

So, I guess time will tell. If it is the biggee time to crank out those paragraphs huh...

The second weird factor is the way the Mexicans are taking it. They are reacting extremely intensely with masks and so forth. What are we doing now to help Mexico contain this aside from pronouncing it uncontainable.

Maybe my middle name is contrapoint.  I can feel the adrenaline when things are said like "it can't be contained, it is too late."

If CDC is trying to keep us all calm and so forth, why state this? We sure are getting like zip data on how these people caught it. None of them, or few seem related or even in contact with each other and no pigs. So- how much detective work has been done to see if there is a common vector to which they were all exposed.. like a place- or person.

Yes, airborne is a spreader. But the common cold is airborne.

I guess its a wait and see thing. In two weeks if we have 500,000 people with it, and clusters all over, we have a problem. President Ford sure went for this one in big way and it was one of the biggest false alarms in the last hundred years.

Much unlike my usual excitable posts, I want to be right about this. I want to be the voice of reason in the midst of alarm. I truly think we have much bigger fish to fry in some really vile biowarfare type hantavirus and designer prions in Class 5 labs. This is the take a whiff and in 6 hours you drop stuff.

Well.. good luck on this. Preppers, I guess your ready. At the almost micro CFR even if we lose a lot- it will be less than die from smoking or cancer, it seems.

It a febrile thing, so watch for temps. You realize the mere statement we can't contain this is not true. We can easily set up infrared scanner in airports and detect passengers with fevers. We especially can do this with border traffic- and the question sticking with me.. is was there a plane that came into San Diego because this would match that scenario perfectly, that had sick people on it.

Medclinician
RICHARD-FL View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICHARD-FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 6:44pm
Now would be a great weekend to check your preparation out.  I will be filling my water tanks a month early, and may run to the drug store for a few last minute items (Tamiflu).

Good luck to all,   I'll be watching.
"...No man is an island on to himself..." Words to remember

RICHARD-FL
alpha480v View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpha480v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 7:40pm
It's a big deal because if the figures that Mexico have reported are correct, 7 % of people that are infected are croaking.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:22am
It's also a big deal because Mexico is right next door AND there have already been some reported cases in the U.S., this is not a country halfway around the world. It's right here, right now.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 1:21am
Penham, I agree with you when you are looking at the fact that the death rate in Mexico is 7% and they are nextdoor...we truly may be in real trouble.

We need to keep communicating so that we have knowledge. Knowledge is power.
THETRUTHWILLOUT View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THETRUTHWILLOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 2:08am
Well i for one med sure wished your book had been out by now.This thing has potential written all over it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:08am
Originally posted by alpha480v alpha480v wrote:

It's a big deal because if the figures that Mexico have reported are correct, 7 % of people that are infected are croaking.

This is not accurate.  Only 24 of the deaths have been officially confirmed. Sixty deaths were suspected, and once again we launch into the suspected versus the actual data, versus speculation.

One source, today Saturday 4/25/09 states 20 have been confirmed. This does not put the the death toll at 7%.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20090424T230000-0500_150100_OBS_SWINE_FLU_OUTBREAK_WORRIES_WORLD_HEALTH_AUTHORITIES.asp

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said tests show some of the Mexico victims died from the same new strain of swine flu that sickened eight people in Texas and California.

Mexico put the confirmed toll at 20 dead, but 40 other fatalities were being probed, and at least 943 nationwide were sick from the suspected flu, the health department said.

Scientists said the virus combines genetic material from pigs, birds and humans in a way researchers have not seen before.

"We are very, very concerned," spokesman Thomas Abraham said.

These numbers put us at 2.1%.

What still mystifies me as we have had outbreaks in Zairie and the Congo of Ebola with numbers 30 to 40 times this CFR and no one was that concerned. The outbreak in Nigeria just last year was gruesome. Also, in the U.S. today we are seeing no new cases of the virus.

I seem to be hearing the word concerned over and over. We know that there are dozens, if not hundreds of strains of stuff currently mutating in the world, and outbreaks in dozens of countries, but the media is picking this one up with a vengeance.

And once again, as in Egypt with hundreds of suspected cases, there were only a few confirmed.

Coverup? Quite the opposite. Overkill.

To be fair, of course HIV started with just one patient zero and then became a serious problem. What we have here is an outbreak and a lot of worried people, surprisingly the most of all .gov.

In my other threads I posted and reposted that there are extremely grave issues and events happening throughout the world. For one, we have an extremely bad situation in Pakistan, GM just shut down putting a lot of people out of work, and I personally see this as a smoke screen to distract the public from other a lot more serious problems.

If anyone will actually go to the official government CDC site, beyond the "statements" being quoted you will find much different numbers as of 10 pm. EST last night.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm

According to the official CDC page

Human Swine Influenza Investigation

April 24, 2009 22:00 EST

Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in the U.S. in San Diego County and Imperial County, California as well as in San Antonio, Texas. Internationally, human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in Mexico.

U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
State # of laboratory
confirmed cases
California 6 cases
Texas 2 cases
International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
Country # of laboratory
confirmed cases
Mexico 7 cases
Cases will be updated daily at 3 p.m. EST
NOTE: Only international human cases confirmed by CDC laboratories will be reported

Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with similar swine influenza viruses.

CDC is working very closely with state and local officials in California, Texas, as well as with health officials in Mexico, Canada and the World Health Organization

Note: So according to CDC at present - only 7 cases have been confirmed by the CDC in Mexico.

The media is having a field day as well as the blogs on the Internet. Many sites have us halfway to a Pandemic based on 8 confirmed cases in the U.S. (as of 10 pm - last night) and

7 in Mexico.

So, here is the question and quit bluntly. Is CDC being totally transparent on this? The link is the most current link I could find to official ..gov data.

Medclinician

Medclinician

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:36am
Originally posted by THETRUTHWILLOUT THETRUTHWILLOUT wrote:

Well i for one med sure wished your book had been out by now.This thing has potential written all over it.

I do appreciate that- and honestly if I were a raw material opportunist I would be blasting "the end is near" all over my sites and here.

Hope everyone understands that of all people, certainly I am the "not if, but when" person- but also honestly am the "no wine, until its time."

Yea, this little pig stuff is disturbing. We have been talking about a mix of H1N1 and others for almost 3 years.

Be assured, if this stuff starts spreading and we get some real clusters, and (this will take an act of God for sure) WHO raises its alert level- I'll be the first to start pushing hard to get us in high gear for the Pandemic.

I am, I guess going into final mode (trying to post less here- it is such an interesting site.. with some reality good posts and people. )

One thing I would say to everyone- be it or not - this little pig- in terms of what is happening here- this is a reminder how quickly the status quo can change and I am rather disappointed with some for getting so flustered. I am not talking people, but health officials. If they are tweaking out on a 2% epidemic what in the world are they going to do with something 31%?  The stuff I am working on is trying to 1) get people ready for a much higher % Pandemic when TPTB bail and say- well- and 2) provide for some type of basic community plan which will keep us together until TPTB bounce back and the white trucks with red crosses show up.

We have MRSA crawling all over our hospitals right now killing a lot of people and VRSA close behind it.

So, tell you what. I guess its back to "how to make your own brick oven.. and getting the stuff out there." I don't think we sholuld alarm out like they did in 1976 and make some bad vaccine full of mercury and garbage and not fully tested so the drug companies can make a ton of money. It appears we still have two stocks of anti-virals which works against this (so far from the data I've seen) and a lot of it that can be put out there (seeing as we developed a resistant strain of flu some time ago to Tamiflu).

Still- its like the economy. If everyone gets all stressed and starts buying up food and thinks there is going to be a Pandemic- its like War of the Worlds broadcast - the perception- the very thing .gov I thought was trying to put a lid on- can be damaging.

Good luck everybody.. and lets all pray this stuff doesn't spread.  There is a lot of good stuff on this site. Pardon my notorious absent mindedness on names, but there was I believe an Aussie member, who posted a lot on his containers he is using, some really good doctors and medical people put up drug lists of what to stock up on.. a lot of over the counter stuff that I have not had time to address.

Use the net while you have it.

Medclinician

alpha480v View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpha480v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 4:16am

Like what the US Government says can be believed. Please. They are not exactly known as the bastion of truth. Governments are the same the world over. Lie and twist stats to make it seem not as bad as it really is. Mexico's government is no different.

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 8:39am
Getting Bigger all over TV this morning.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 8:39am
We have to remember that we are dealing with a country in the tropical region.  They have a lot of illmess from mosquitos.....dengue etc. There is also illness from mumps...measels.  People are not vaccinated the way we are.  There may be a lot of coinfection.  That would cause a higher death rate.  Also...sadly, there is a new type of bug causing  Resp distress...animal origin.  I'll look for it.

didn't find it yet...lumped into the severe group.

Severe respiratory illness caused by deadly viruses has led Children's Hospital in Winnipeg to transfer patients to other //hospitals.

Children affected by Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) occupy all eight beds at the hospital’s pediatric intensive care unit, said Dr. Cheryl Greenberg of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 9:19am
Image:M.%20bovis.jpg
Mycobacterium bovis

Co-infectin is a concern...

Coinfection with two or more pathogens is a common occurrence in respiratory diseases of most species. The manner in which multiple pathogens interact is not always straightforward, however.

Bordetella bronchiseptica and porcine respiratory coronavirus (PRCV) are respiratory pathogens of pigs whose relatives, B. pertussis and the SARS virus, cause respiratory disease in humans.

source

Massive Pig Farming gives us Swine Flu

Massive Bovine (cow) Farming gives us TB

Massive Poultry Farming gives us  H?N?

Mycobacterium bovis is the causative agent of tuberculosis in a range of animal species and man, with world wide annual losses to agriculture of $3 billion.”(2) M. bovis is the agent responsible for bovine tuberculosis, however it can also cause the disease in humans if there is consumption of infected materials.(1) Pasteurization of milk has been a major preventative factor in stopping transmission of bovine tuberculosis in humans; however in many underdeveloped countries, where pasteurization is not practiced, there is still a concern with infection by M. bovis.(1) M. bovis AF2122/97 is a fully virulent strain that was isolated from a diseased cow in 1997.(2)

TB Pandemic

Tuberculosis (TB) is one of the leading infectious diseases in adults, causing over 8 million new cases and 2 million deaths annually. It is estimated that one-third of the world's population is infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The human immunodeficiency virus pandemic and the emergency of multidrug-resistant strains of the causative bacilli have led to an elevated incidence of TB. The World Health Organization has recently declared the current situation to be a global emergency and has made it a priority to develop more effective vaccines against TB (11).

therese View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 2:00pm
I just called a friend of mine who is an epidemiologist and is on the Panflu task force in my state.  She participated in the CDC teleconference today and she said that everyone is very serious about this.  I said "This looks like it could be the real deal" and she said "It's very serious".  She is not a panic person, but she and the other offcials are ramping up the statewide systems preparing.  I think the government is doing the right thing by not pushing the panic button, and it will be very interesting to see if the WHO level is advanced in the next 48 hours.  I believe it will.  Better to be safe than sorry. 
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:14pm
My Gut feeling is this. Big Pharma put out a lot of cash in Tamiflu for Bird flu, the government did also it stock ups. Now it does not work for H5N1 so all of a sudden we get us a nice disease that it will work on.  I wonder how it got out there????
That is all well and fine, if it was planned, it is stil there none the less.  How it can mutate, what can happen that is up for grabs. Sometimes the best plans of men go horribly bad.

Therefore, as a test run I will prepare to the max, this could also be a way that the gov has to get us moving especially those who have not, and get prepped for something they know IS coming. Then again you can flip that and say if people go nuts about this and nothing happens, trying to convince people to prep for anything else may be next to impossible as this could be seen as being the same as Y2K.

Either way, I am in this to protect my family. God knows we have talked for years about not being able to be prepped enough. Therefore I am taking the official stance that the more stuff I get the better. IT will be great for the economy. If I get sick, you can bet I will get Tamiflu. Even if we are being played, sometimes not playing the game gets you in deep trouble.

We will all be on a lot more in the next few days or a week. God bless and everyone use this as a test run, if it does not pan out, you are no worse off, if it gets ugly, you are ready.
Wolfmanjack View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfmanjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by alpha480v alpha480v wrote:

just to put this into perspective

From all the sources out there pumping out numbers
58 dead
68 dead etc.. lets average that to 60 dead..

1000 people infected (so called official number)

1000 divided by 60 = 17 rounded up..

Just in Mexico city alone there are 20 million people
So.......
20,000,000 divided by 1000 = 20,000

Twenty thousand times 17 (20000 * 17) = 340,000 potential deaths just in Mexico city.

World wide there is roughly 6 billion people .. That would be around 100+ million deaths
More then likely the numbers would be much much higher then that considering the medical infrastructure just can not handle that many hospital cases, IE more people would die from not being able to get proper medical attention.

All this is based on numbers that are not hard facts though.. The infected Numbers are much likely to be much higher and the deaths could be higher also.. At this time it is mostly speculation. Don't kid yourself though.. This is not something to ignore or trivialize.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 5:05pm
I will mot panic.  One person died in my family during the 1918 pandemic.  She was in her late 20's  and lived in NYC.  Her little girl went to live with her sister's family.  I have a photo of her.  She was very pretty.  Her name was Catherine MacNamee.
brandyrenea View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandyrenea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 10:07pm
I wondered:  Do you work in health care?  I mean this honestly, not sarcastic...   Over the last 10 years or so I have grown to not trust our media coverage.  I was watching a news broadcast on Ebola in 96, when we had cases show in the US, and coverage was blocked mid broadcast, cut to commercial, and it came back on another topic like it never happened.  I watched the news for days, and no mention of the prior information was ever shown.  I feel that a good bit of the information we see now is censored for what they feel we should know.  This is coming from an honor grad and a Chem major, not a crackpot with conspiratory syndrome.  I am replying to your post b/c you are correct w/ your numbers on mortality and prior info, and seem to know your stuff;  OK, and,  by the way, I live in Atlanta, have an 8 yr old who is recovering from flu symptoms and a 104 fever (our Dr did not do a flu test, but did a throat culture, a blood culture, and CBC among others, and determined she had a viral infection of unknown origin), and myself and two co-workers have the same virus.  I am going back to the Dr to be checked for bronchial pneumonia tomorrow as I have a horrible cough and tingling/tightness in my chest that wont leave...   anyway, I believe I will be fine, I simply am still up @ 1 am b/c I can't sleep for coughing (hence I am here) (and rambling b/c I should have been asleep hours ago, sorry...)  but that last 10 lines is my way of wondering if this new flu is what we have since I know it is viral and we meet all of the symptoms, but did not have a flu test.  Oh, out of curiosity, my daughter and I both had very red eyes that felt dry and stung, hers were puffy and looked sleepy, mine had some matter in them when I woke up, but seem to be recovering OK, about 4 to 5 days into being sick.  I believe it comes w/ whatever we have caught.  But like I said, it is too late and I am too sleepy and sick to continue for now. 

So.  Your post and your numbers tell me you are an inelligent person.  Do you trust our media to tell us all of the truth?
SwineFluPrep View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwineFluPrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 10:13pm
When the subject is this important I don't depend on the "media" except for verbatim quotes from the CDC or state Health Departments officials.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 7:19am
Originally posted by brandyrenea brandyrenea wrote:

I wondered:  Do you work in health care?  I mean this honestly, not sarcastic...   Over the last 10 years or so I have grown to not trust our media coverage.  I was watching a news broadcast on Ebola in 96, when we had cases show in the US, and coverage was blocked mid broadcast, cut to commercial, and it came back on another topic like it never happened.  I watched the news for days, and no mention of the prior information was ever shown.  I feel that a good bit of the information we see now is censored for what they feel we should know. 

a moderately boring bio of MC which many may wish to skip.

At this point, and with what is happening I feel - briefly I should take this one on and then will just continue positng data and the book. I entered the U.S. Army in 1973 with dreams of being a doctor. I was pre-med at the University and am educated. They offered me med school to reup for a lot of years in 101st U.S. Army. I declined the offer.  They were stretched pretty thin.I ran a clinic in Mainz Germany, under a doctors supervison wrote prescriptions, ordered labs, x-rays,  and saw about 50-80 patients a day and worked like a PA. Upon leaving the military I became an R.N. I worked just about everywhere, a lot of ER and ICU, and finally during the quakes, joined the disaster response Flying Nurses. I am still avialable for disaster response, I am currently licensed, and am weekly offered positions to work as an RN. Even on line here, they gave me a tempting offer to go work in Texas.  Good money. All of you out there who are RNs, wear the position with great pride. You are one of the most essential backbones of the medical system and our fighting force against any Pandemic that hits us.

This is the real deal. I am not a conspiracy nut who sees shadows behind every door. However, also doing some research, I have crossed paths with NIH, CDC, and we can stop there.. just a lot of agencies, first hand.  I know some of what is on the inside. I have spoken to people in political offices very high up, and heard 'a lot' from congressional meetings, committees, and also the vast, truly vast, medical system which exists. I have traveled from San Francisco to New Yorik and worked a lot of hospitals.

I have had close friends who were fireman, nurses, and civilians who were at 9/11 towers after the attack. One fireman's best friend died under collapsing concrete while trying to save a small child. His story is heart rending. He (my fireman friend) literally broke up while saying the words "it was the children I had to pull from the wreckage that got to me- I never will forget- I see them in my nightmares." 

So... that will be it for a long time. On the  book is a bio and it is accurate. I am not someone on day pass on the institution computer, or some person on a gazillion meds whose life is making up delusional conspiracies of the U.S. government. I sympathize though with our abysmal treatment and care of the mentally ill, who often are the homeless that prowl the streets in hunger and confusion. May God help us to finally focus on what matters, and set up more ways to help those who need help the most.

I am a licensed health care professional. And in the terms of several dictionaries.. I am a Medclinician.

Now- all that aside- we- other health professionals I know, including a number of doctors, .gov people, and whatever- must focus on two goals. One is to preserve the American infrastructure through whatever waves of diseases we face. There are plans which in one of my posts I have a link to every plan in every state in the United States to face a Pandemic. Two, to save lives; to encourage people to prepare and be ready for a host of disasters which will confront a great number of us in the next 20 years. The Pandemics may be worse than a nuclear war. They are more likely. There are 3 currently in the world- Malaria, Dengue Fever, and TB- and one which may be on its way.

Sometimes .gov is not nice.  This is no revelation. The definition of "looking out for the public" is something books could be written on. Sometimes they, like an extreme parent, "know what is best for us," without asking us or letting us know exactly what that is. Whatever they are- they are my leaders, my country, and it is still, without a doubt, to me, the finest and most democractic nation in the world. There is some sort of beauty, some noble souls, some great artists and spiritual people in ever nation on earth. America is my country and I will be forever proud of it.

I have been to Europe, I have walked among the dying in far away lands, I have seen people living in cardboard houses, surrounded by animals and I don't look down on them. I am no better. I am more fortunate to live in a nation where things are just better in many ways. I can worship God, I can carry my bible and dress up and go to church, and some may think that is dumb and even say so. That is their freedom. It does not effect how I feel deep inside. As for others who are different, I understand that is their culture, their way of life, and sadly it is a less sanitation lifestyle that breeds disease, not only in animals, but in humans. Some cultures, some political systems are dangerous to our country and our way of life and our people. Yet the viruses and prions - do not care. They would kill us all.

I have been to Mexico City (Zona Rosa- Teotihuacan (pyramids outside Mexico City) - and Rome - and London - and ventured beyond the central tourist districts and stayed and talked to the people, many times, in their own language.

So totally enough of this, and that will be my last I did, I was,  post. You can trust me. I care about all of you, I am exactly as I have described and have done exactly as I have posted. I am Christian. I am not ashamed of that at all. I will not try to convert you with words. I will try to live a life that might be an example so people will come to believe there is more than this and there is another life beyond this one.

Over the years, those who have prayed for me, I deeply have felt. And these are not just Christian prayers. Anyone who has prayed for myself or my family and my son- we feel those prayers and they give us the strength and will to continue to go on.

Do you know what it is to love someone? Like your parents or children? Well, picture a person who loves the people in the world. In reality. Not to appear to be a good person, giving help to people who will never tell, and supporting rescue missions and food banks and stuff because I have been homeless. I have been starving. I have been... well.. lets just say my heart has stopped and then started a bit later. I know pain, so I feel for those who suffer daily.

So - waking everyone up - some will prepare and love and wish to save their families. Some will strive to help in one thousand different ways - each other.

However long you have lived, whatever has happened in your life, whatever stories you have been told, if you live long enough you will come to recognize and know what is true and who is truthful. Sincerity is not enough though. Some of the most terrible things done have been done by sincere people. There is a way, as is taught in the I Ching - which is "correct" When you are on that path, you will know. And one such path is service- that of helping others.

We need each other. Since we huddled around a fire and decided, wrapped in each others arms for human warmth and companionship, that this was better- to form groups, states, countries, for the common defense and to create a better life for us all.

I will not panic. I have been at accident scenes that resembled an airline crash on a bad day. This may be a bump in the road.  However the road ahead may get  a lot worse, and some bumps may start breaking wheels. We need to be prepared. And that is  my greatest goal in life- to help.

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 3:33pm
I figured publishing my boring bio would pretty much be a thread killer so let us now move along.

You all (West Virginia here) realize that the higher echelons of our medical establishment, despite Mexico being virtually shut down, are hugging to the same statistics I quoted yesterday and- they have even decreased the number of deaths in Mexico immensely.

CDC: Swine Flu Outbreak "Serious"

8 Cases Confirmed in the U.S.; Global Health Experts on Alert
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

April 25, 2009 -- Swine flu has killed at least 20 people in Mexico and sickened at least eight people in the U.S., and the CDC expects more U.S. cases as the hunt for swine flu intensifies.

The eight confirmed U.S. cases are located in San Antonio, Texas, and California's San Diego County and Imperial County. Others will probably be found elsewhere, notes Anne Schuchat, MD, the CDC's interim deputy director for science and public health program.

comment: well there you have it. The neo conservative view of the Mexican epidemic. Actually they have backstepped to 20 confirmed. I had 27 the other night. And then we have posts from "doctors notes" and other sources.

Does this make you wonder? It does me.

My aunt told me two people crossing the border into San Antonio, Texas were caught, tested postive, and are in isolation and also there are possibly cases in San Antonio.

and then we see

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103490792&ft=1&f=1004

well lets spin forward some

WASHINGTON April 26, 2009, 06:00 pm ET · The world's governments raced to avoid both a pandemic and global hysteria Sunday as more possible swine flu cases surfaced from Canada to New Zealand and the United States declared a public health emergency. "It's not a time to panic," the White House said.

Mexico, the outbreak's epicenter with up to 86 suspected deaths, canceled some church services and closed markets and restaurants. Few people ventured onto the streets, and some wore face masks. Canada became the third country to confirm cases, in six people, including some students who — like some New York City spring-breakers — got mildly ill in Mexico. Countries across Asia promised to quarantine feverish travelers returning from flu-affected areas.

The U.S. declared the health emergency so it could ship roughly 12 million doses of flu-fighting medications from a federal stockpile to states in case they eventually need them — although, with 20 confirmed cases of people recovering easily, they don't appear to for now.

comment: so we have "doctors" posting the antivirals aren't working. What exactly are "flu fighting medications"?

We just went from 20 confirmed cases to 86 deaths. And now people in Canada traveling from Mexico.  Lets go back to CDC.

same page

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx

Despite the spread and increase deaths there hasn't been an update for a day. Why?

well here is THE page

http://pandemicflu.gov/

and 

"We are likely to find it in many other places," Schuchat said at a press conference today.  "We don't think containment [of the virus] is feasible."

CNN is reporting that two cases of swine flu in Kansas are expected to be announced by the Kansas Department of Health. And New York City officials are reporting eight "probable" cases of swine flu in students at a private school in New York City. The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene will send samples taken from the students to the CDC for confirmation.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has asked health departments worldwide to watch out for the virus, which is a mix of swine, human, and bird influenza viruses.

In a news conference today, WHO officials called the flu outbreak "serious," but the WHO has not yet declared swine flu to be a pandemic.

Schuchat says that so far, the U.S. cases have been milder than those seen in Mexico, where at least 59 people have died of pneumonia, according to the CDC. The WHO notes that 20 of those deaths are confirmed to be from swine flu; health officials are investigating the other Mexican deaths.

The CDC is already taking the first steps toward making a vaccine against the virus; that process takes months, Schuchat says. The CDC has also sent staff to Mexico as part of a global team responding to the outbreak.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 3:38pm
But wait- what about this...

Iowan has swine flu

Category: General EpidemiologyInfectious diseaseInfluenzaIowa/area newsPublic healthVarious viruses
Posted on: January 8, 2007 1:00 PM, by Tara C. Smith

When people think of Iowa, many of them think of our agriculture (for good reasons). Obviously, it's big business here. We ranked first in the nation in production of corn, soybeans, eggs, and pork in 2005. Indeed, population-wise, hogs here outnumber humans by more than 5 to 1. This is one reason research at our center focuses on zoonotic disease (diseases which can be transferred between animal species), and specifically, diseases of domesticated animals. A story in the news today shows one reason why we study what we do:

Iowa State health officials say someone in eastern Iowa has tested positive for swine flu, a pig disease which rarely jumps to humans.

Doctor Patricia Quinlisk, the state's epidemiologist, says there is no cause for alarm.

The patient was diagnosed with swine flu after a throat swab was taken. The person had developed flu symptoms and went to a doctor.

The U-S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed the swine flu diagnosis. The agency has blood tests pending on people in contact with the Iowan to determine exposure.

Quinlisk says there was no evidence the virus has spread person to person. She says the patient was not hospitalized and has since recovered.

It was unknown how the individual contracted the virus.

Quinlisk says swine flu is hard for humans to catch from pigs.

More after the jump...

First, a bit about swine influenza. I've written a bit about it previously here for those who want more background, but essentially, the main swine viruses circulating are of serotypes H1N1, H3N2, and H1N2. (The news report doesn't identify the serotype this person was infected with). Some of these viruses are combinations of human, swine, and avian influenza viruses, and swine have previously been implicated in the generation of pandemic influenza viruses due to their ability to serve as a "mixing vessel" for avian and human-type influenza viruses. And since they're so closely related to humans (well, much more closely related than, say, birds, anyway), there is concern that a swine virus (or an avian virus that becomes adapted to mammals by infecting a pig) could enter the human population and wreak havoc. So, in a nutshell, that's one reason why we're so interested in swine influenza, even though "bird flu" has recently been so dominant in the news. And though this news report shows a fairly simple scenario so far, it raises a lot of unanswered questions.

I'll assume for now that (though not directly stated in the article) the patient is a farmer or other individual who works around hogs, and has been in direct contact with infected swine. I'm assuming this because it's not mentioned in the article that s/he *wasn't* in contact with swine, which would seem an important enough detail to include (to me, anyway). However, I think some of the other statements in the article are less supported.

First, it says, repeatedly, that the virus is difficult for humans to catch from pigs. Likely this is true, but as I've pointed out previously (see here), we don't really know the extent of human infection with swine viruses. When someone comes down with "the flu," 1) it's rare that they even go to the doctor unless the case is serious; and 2) even if they *do* go, the viral isolates are rarely typed. So what we have are a very small subset of isolates that extrapolations are made from, and we know very little about the isolates out there that may cause very mild or asymptomatic infections in humans. Therefore, we really don't know the denominator in this case--the number of swine influenza infections that routinely occur in humans.

Second, it's stated that "there is no evidence that the virus has spread person to person." However, elsewhere in the article it mentions that the blood tests on contacts are still pending. So while the "no evidence" part is likely stated because (I'm guessing) none of the patient's contacts developed symptoms consistent with influenza virus infection, only these tests can confim that they weren't infected sub-clinically. (In other words, that the virus didn't actually spread to them, but not cause symptoms).

Either way, it's an interesting report. I wonder if the patient had any of the risk factors that have previously been identified for swine flu infections....

note: This was posted on January 8, 2007. So- what's the deal. We had swine flu in the U.S. more than two years ago. And a mix as well.

http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2007/01/iowan_has_swine_flu.php

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 3:55pm
So - isn't this odd. Boom like a firecracker- all over the media- tearful notes from doctors- claims of coverup- dropping confirms like flies- and all Mexico very upset and MASSIVE supplies of (unnamed type) anti-virals being shipped to Mexico.

At least 50 statements I have read- there is no vaccine for this flu. CDC has started working on it. (with human trials it can take 6-18 months to make a vaccine).

Well back to the tearful notes. First I am going to check the doctors registry in Mexico City for those doctors names. Why weren't they signed Dr. so and so and not just the name.

and more dropping numbers...

Mexican officials, scrambling to control a swine flu outbreak that has killed at least 16 people and possibly dozens more in recent weeks, shuttered schools from kindergarten to university for millions of young people in and around the capital on Friday and urged people with flu symptoms to stay home from work.

comment: this is recent

”We’re dealing with a new flu virus that constitutes a respiratory epidemic that so far is controllable,” Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova told reporters late Thursday, after huddling with President Felipe Calderón and other top officials. He said the virus had mutated from pigs and had at some point been transmitted to humans.

Mexico’s flu season is usually over by now, but health officials have noticed a significant spike in flu cases. The World Health Organization reported about 800 cases of flu-like symptoms in Mexico in recent weeks, most of them among healthy young adults, with 57 deaths in Mexico City and 3 in the central part of the country. Mexican officials confirmed 16 deaths from swine flu, and said another 45 were under investigation…

comment: has the curtain of blackout come down on this. We have been hearing of cases in Israel, France, I posted New Zealand (20) and WHO was poised to raise the alert level.

Um, what happened?

ample supplies of Tamiflu to treat the epidemic..

Medclinician

vmd View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 4:05pm
Just looking from a different angle, maybe the government wants to get a handle on this as quickly as possible because they want to continue to tap into big businesses source of cheap labor across the border. If this really blows up people would demand the borders be closed and that illegal immigrants be rounded up and sent back home or quarantined until this all passes leaving a lot of businesses without the cheap labor that is keeping their companies afloat in these hard times. With such a high unemployment rate I'm sure plenty of people would love to at least exist on minimum wage jobs that would be left behind by illegals.
SwineFluPrep View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwineFluPrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 4:11pm
Here is a statement from Dr. Michael Osterholm:

"If the confirmed deaths are the first signs of a pandemic, then cases are probably incubating around the world by now", said Dr Michael Osterholm, a flu expert at the University of Minnesota.

BrightSideOfThings View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightSideOfThings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 5:15pm
The deaths in Mexico are, thus far, unexplained, but one thing that most analysts seem to agree on is that the victims all arrived at the hospital after it was far too late. Combining that with lack of access to medicines, I won't be worried until more severe US cases pop up. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:37pm
Brandy.... you sound like a good mom....vicks is good for cough as is a mix of honey and lemon warmed. sip on it.  Conjunctivitis is associated with H7...so many diff types out there.  Most likely not swin flu...insist on a test or ask your doctor for a sentinel doctor who does test.  I mean doctors can now buy the test kits on line...I would have some for my difficult cases if I were a doctor, only makes sense.  You are not alone.  Many feel things are kept back.  But with the internet it is easier to know, people like you are willing to share.  I invested in  a company working on ebola...sad we imported it.  You will feel a lot better soon and we hope you come back to chat...
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 10:07am

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00955/Immune-Protect-with-Paractin.html

Immune Protect With Paractin LifeExtension
30 vegetarian capsules
Item Catalog Number: 00955
Immune Protect with PARACTIN contains a combination of patented ingredients that have been clinically shown to boost immune function, increasing the body's natural ability to combat challenges.*

Immune Protect with PARACTIN provides 100 milligrams of a proprietary, patented form of betaglucan that has been proven to activate the host immune system's primary defenders by activating complementary systems, enhancing macrophages and natural killer cell function.7-12* The immune cell-priming capabilities of this patented, highly purified yeast derivative exceed those of all other sources of immune supplements tested to date.

The formula contains PARACTIN, an extract derived from an herb that has been used in Asia and India for thousands of years to help with inflammation, and provides significant seasonal support.* Among the active ingredients of this medicinal herb is andrographolide, a phytochemical that exerts powerful immune-boosting effects on the human body.13* The formula's patented blend of these andrographolides helps control damaging inflammation caused by cytokines, easing symptomatic discomfort and speeding recovery.14* Only Immune Protect with Paractin contains both beta glucans and PARACTIN to help boost immunity and help with inflammation.*

Immune Protect with PARACTIN also provides 250 milligrams of a standardized extract of Camucamu (Myrciaria dubia) (or wildcrafted berry), a small fruit native to the Amazonian rain forest and one of the richest natural sources of vitamin C.15
One capsule should be taken daily, especially during the fall and winter months, when immunity is low. The beta-1,3-D glucan complex takes about five days to prime the immune system for optimal protection, so daily supplementation is highly recommended. (To assist recovery, up to six capsules per day can be taken as needed on a temporary basis.)

Video: See how a special class of beta glucan naturally primes the immune system

References
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 capsule

Servings Per Container 30

Amount Per Serving
Wellmune WGP 3-6 (highly purified Beta 1,3/1,6 Glucan from a unique strain of Baker's Yeast)
100 mg

Camu camu (Myrciaria dubia) extract (wildcrafted berry) [std. to 20% natural vitamin C (50 mg)]
250 mg

Vitamin C (from camu camu extract)
50 mg

PARACTIN (Bioactive 14-Neo-Andro Compound) (Andrographis paniculata) extract (organic leaf) [patented blend of Andrographilides, 14-Deoxyandrographolides, and neoandrographolides]
25 mg

Other ingredients: vegetarian capsule (HPMC and water), cellulose, magnesium stearate.

Contains gluten and corn. Contains yeast. This product contains NO milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, or rice. Contains NO artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.

PARACTIN is a registered trademark of HP Ingredients.
Wellmune WGP is a registered trademark of Biothera...the immune health company. Wellmune WGP is exclusively distributed by the ET Horn Company.

Dosage and Use
Take one capsule daily with water 30 minutes before a meal, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.

Increase dose up to six capsules daily if needed.

The highly purified yeast extract has mannan and man-noproteins removed as these can trigger an allergic and inflammatory bowel flare in individuals with yeast allergies, IBD, or Crohn's disease.

Immune Enhancement References

1. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002 Aug;56 Suppl 3:S5-S8.
2. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2000 Apr;30(2):145-58.
3. Front Biosci. 1999 4:216-269.
4. J Gerontol. 1990 Mar;45(2):M45-8.
5. J Nutr. 1995 Jun;125(6 Suppl):1804S-1808S.
6. Curr Top Pathol. 1986;75:127-50.
7. J Clin Invest. 1996 Jul 1;98(1):50-61.
8. Ann Surg. 1994 Nov;220(5):601-9.
9. Biotherapy. 1993;6(3):189-94.
10. J Pharmacobiodyn. 1991 Sep;14(9):519-25.
11. Eur J Immunol. 1991 Jul;21(7):1755-8.
12. Cancer Res. 1985 Apr;45(4):1496-501.
13. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2004 Feb;29(1):37-45.
14. Am J Chin Med. 2007;35(2):317-28.
15. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2000 Dec;50(4):405-8.
16. Haematologica. 1995 May-Jun;80(3):252-67.
17. Br J Nutr. 2000 Nov;84 Suppl 1:S11-7.
18. Arch Immunol Ther Exp. 2001;49(4):325-33.
19. Arch Immunol Ther Exp. 1998;46(4):231-40.
20. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1998;443:261-5.
21. Dig Liver Dis. 2003 Oct;35(10):706-10.
22. Infect Immun. 1993 Feb;61(2):719-28.
23. J Appl Bacteriol. 1992 Dec;73(6):472-9.
24. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992 May 22;1121(1-2):130-6.
25. Annu Rev Nutr. 1995;15:93-110.
26. J Mol Biol. 1989 Oct 20;209(4):711-34.
27. Aust J Dairy Tech. 1988 5:16.
28. Altern Med Rev. 2004 Jun;9(2):136-156.
29. J Nutr Biochem. 2003 May;14(5):251-8.
30. Arch Immunol Ther Exp. 2001;49(4):325-33.
31. Toxicol In Vitro. 2003 Feb;17(1):27-33.
32. Clin Invest Med. 1991 Aug;14(4):296-309.
33. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Sep;283(3):E565- E572.
34. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2001 Sep;11(3):349-64.
35. J Appl Physiol. 1999 Oct;87(4):1381-5.
36. J Leukoc Biol. 1991 May;49(5):427-33.
37. Blood Cells. 1989;15(2):371-85.
38. J Immunol. 1982 Dec;129(6):2519-23.
39. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Oct;16(5):494-509.
40. Eur J Pharmacol. 2002 Sep 20;451(3):237-43.
41. Indian J Exp Biol. 1997 Mar;35(3):264-6.
42. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Jan;77(1):189-95.
43. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2002 Jan;159(3):319-24.
44. In Vivo. 1994 Nov-Dec;8(6):1079-85.
45. PLoS Med. 2005 Sep;2(9):e307;author reply e309. Epub 2005 Sep 27.
46. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988 Sep;48(3):604-14.
47. J Food Tech. 1969;4:255-67.
48. Nutr Rev. 1998;56:27-8.
49. Nutrition 1995;11:93-9.
50. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Mar;85(3):837-44.
51. JAMA. 1984 Sep 21;252(11):1443-6.
52. Liver Int. 2005 Jun;25(3):613-21.
53. J Oncology. 1989;21:52–3.
54. Int Immunol. 2004 Feb;16(2):275-81.
55. Microsc Res Tech. 2003 Dec 15;62(6):501-7
56. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1984 Dec;33(3):381-90.
57. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1983 Oct;80(19):6005-9.
58. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1984 Dec;33(3):381-90.
59. J Altern Complement Med. 1998 Spring;4(1):87-99.
60. Pediatr Res. 1994 Sep;36(3):300-5.
61. Immunology. 1991 Nov;74(3):420-4.
62. Clin Exp Immunol. 1990 Feb;79(2):307-13.
63. Cancer Res. 1988 Nov 1;48(21):6044-9.
64. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 1987;25(3):185-92.
65. Eur J Cancer. 1980 Sep;16(9):1199-204.
66. Cancer Res. 1979 Nov;39(11):4681-6.
67. Cancer Res. 1978 Nov;38(11 Pt 1):3894-9.
68. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2004 Feb;29(1):75-83.
69. Pharmacol Res Commun. 1988 Dec;20 Suppl 5:87-90.
70. Infect Immun. 1984 Dec;46(3):845-9.
71. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2003 Nov;25(4):551-60.
72. Pol J Vet Sci. 2003;6(3 Suppl):3-5.
73. Int Immunopharmacol. 2003 Jun;3(6):811-24.
74. J Leukoc Biol. 2000 Oct;68(4):503-10.
75. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006 Sep;44(9):401-8.
76. Fitoterapia. 2007 Aug 11; [Epub ahead of print].
77. J Med Food. 2007 Sep;10(3):423-34.
78. J Altern Complement Med. 2000 Aug;6(4):327-34.
79. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2004 Feb;29(1):75-83.
80. Clin Ther. 2006 Feb;28(2):174-83.
81. Phytomedicine. 2005 Nov;12(10):715-22.
82. Phytother Res. 2005 Aug;19(8):689-94.
83. J Int Med Res. 2004 Mar-Apr;32(2):132-40.
84. J Altern Complement Med. 1995 Winter;1(4):361-9.
85. Phytochemistry. 1975 Aug;14(8):1871-2.
86. Phytochemistry. 1964 mar;3(2):267-8.
87. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2007 Apr;59(4):575-82.
88. Diabet Med. 2001 Dec;18(12):1010.
89. Int Immunopharmacol. 2005 May;5(5):811-20.
90. J Med Food. 2007 Mar;10(1):25-31.
91. J Appl Physiol. 2004 Oct;97(4):1437-44.
92. Endocr Regul. 2004 Mar;38(1):7-13.
93. Life Sci. 2003 Dec 19;74(5):593-602.
94. J Appl Physiol. 2003 Aug;95(2):491-6.
95. J Hepatol. 2002 Jul;37(1):78-86.
96. In Vivo. 2002 Jan-Feb;16(1):49-54.
97. Endocr Regul. 2000 Dec;34(4):181-8.
98. Altern Med Rev. 2000 Feb;5(1):4-27.
99. Anticancer Drugs. 1998 Apr;9(4):343-50

235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Silke View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 10:56am
One of the things that stands oujt to me is each time I hear the CDC say that they expect more cases to surface and some cases may be more severe, it makes me wonder if 1) they are already aware of some severe cases and following them but not stating as much and 2) they are expecting this virus to mutate into something more serious.

Simply gping ahead and releasing part of the national stockpile (11 million doses of Tamiflu versus 40 non-acute cases in which antivirals weren't even given) to affected states (he stated the affected states "and others" makes me think that while Obama is saying "no cause for alar\m", the Dr. Bressley is indicating the opposite.  JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic