Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

might be in NC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: might be in NC
    Posted: April 26 2009 at 6:27am
okay, I just got over a flu that matches the same symptoms as of the people in US who have been interviewed.  I'm in Raleigh, NC and caught it about two weeks ago.  It was awful, dizzy, lightheaded, severe headache, severe weakness & tiredness, nausea, vomit, diarrhea, lots of snot and phelgm, sore throat from coughing up the phelgm, etc.

I'm pretty much over it now but still have the dizziness especially at night.

Since coming down with it, I have noticed a bunch of students coughing like crazy (I work at NC State Univ) and I've seen some professors in the halls coughing a deep croupy cough like mine.

A doctor on Fox News just said what I was thinking.... since the regular flu season is pretty much over ... if you come down with flu like symptoms now.... you can pretty much be sure you've got the swine flu.

Any thoughts on this? 

Shouldn't the CDC do some surveying of each state's schools & universities to see how many students are coming in sick and do some testing?  I never went to a doctor so I am undiagnosed but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

ops144 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ops144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 7:13am
what age group are you?

Silke View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 7:22am

I am in SC.

Three weeks ago, one of the MDs I work with came down with the flu after having gotten a flu shot.  He tested positive for type A.  No one knew about the cases in Mexico at the time.  His symptoms were moderate but he recovered and was back at work in a week. 

Two weeks ago, my college age son developed severe flu symptoms and was so sick he couldn't hold his head up for 3 days then had nasal and sinus  drainage and headache for another 3-5 days.  Again, he had the flu shot so we attributed it to sinusitis.  He is now recovered.

Would be interesting to draw titers on at least the MD to see if he was infected in US up to 1 month ago.  JMO
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 7:56am
I wonder if they can test your blood to see if you or your kids were exposed to swine flu? At least so far no deaths here in the US...I hope it stays that way.
Melody
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
AlaskaAquarian View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 7:58am
Hey Melody! It's me Jen. :)  This stuff looks scary. I came back to the forum because things are beginning to look really scary.
WWW.JenZGemZandMore.com
Visit my Homepage
Silke View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:00am
Yes, they can draw blood to test for antibodies after an infection.  Viral titers can be done.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:16am
Jennifer I've been trying to e-mail you but your e-mail was bad or something so I was going to search for you at MySpace since I knew you had a page and tell you that you had to get back on this board to keep an eye on thins. I'm soooo happy you are back!
Hugs
Melody
Melody
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:17am
Yeah, AOL has been a real goober lately. I don't use my aol email as often anymore because it's been such a pain. You can email me at Jennimoon81@yahoo.com I check that one more often
WWW.JenZGemZandMore.com
Visit my Homepage
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:20am
Thanks Jennifer:O) We are going out today to get more water. We were going to do that yesterday but were busy with the garden and family so we'll do that today and get a few more things I know my kids like such as mac n cheese, noodles, Ravioli, soups...whatever is on sale. Paper towels and toilet paper around here has gone through the roof in price. Nuts!
Melody
Melody
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:22am
My hubby works nights, so he's sleeping right now. But once he wakes up, we're taking our savings and stocking up on supplies. Baby food, diapers, gloves, masks, etc.
Because I had been through chemo, I need to especially be careful. Oh, I have surgery on Weds at Johns Hopkins. I'm worried that people will be walking flu factories there. So I'm taking nooooooooo chances!

Miss ya Melody! *hugs*
WWW.JenZGemZandMore.com
Visit my Homepage
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:24am
Wear your mask when you go to hospital. Miss you too. E-mail me anytime.
hugs
Melody
Melody
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:29am
Oh yeah, I'll be wearing a mask and such. My mom is flying in on Tuesday. I told her that when we pick her up and take her to her hotel room to shower thoroughly, put her clothes in an airtight bag, etc.
Traveling is really dangerous right now. She knows it , though, which is good.
WWW.JenZGemZandMore.com
Visit my Homepage
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 5:56pm
I'm 48.

nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 5:59pm
Got the word this afternoon that NC State is now looking at how to handle people with swine flu as NC is now looking at cases.

WRAL.com has the story on their website about the probable cases but the health dept is not saying how many cases or where the locations are.  How nice!  I guess we don't want to scare the parents while final exams are going on.

July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2009 at 5:00am
digtriad.com | Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

15 Suspect Cases Of Swine Flu In NC Test Negative
Dr. Jeffrey Engel said he was pleasantly surprised to find that investigators found no trace of the flu -- even the seasonal flu -- in all the suspected cases tested by Tuesday evening.

Raleigh, NC -- The state's health director says 15 suspected cases of swine flu in North Carolina have tested negative for the virus, but there are still several cases left to study.

Dr. Jeffrey Engel said he was pleasantly surprised to find that investigators found no trace of the flu -- even the seasonal flu -- in all the suspected cases tested by Tuesday evening. He said there were about 10 to 20 more suspected cases that will be tested soon.

Engel said there are suspected but sporadic cases from around the state.

Authorities have reported 64 confirmed U.S. cases of swine flu in New York City, California, Texas, Kansas, Ohio and Indiana. Officials believe swine flu has killed more than 150 people in Mexico.

Source: AP

Copyright: 2008 digtriad.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic