Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Now At Level 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 5:25am
Originally posted by abcdefg abcdefg wrote:

To cause over Fear is as dangerous and life threatening then not enough concern. This is the time for Level heads.

The time for talk is nearing an end. Those of you who know, know the truth. Whether we can find and confirm in the mainstream, it is still the truth.

My family is leaving on Wednesday. They are beginning to party for the summer at festivals among thousands of people who may be infected with the second wave.

I will leave in a few weeks and be working at a clinic, and probably wound up stuck hundreds of miles from home taking care of sick people getting the flu.

Some things are just meant to be.

Annie View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 7:26am
Originally posted by MedClinican MedClinican wrote:

...My family is leaving ...to ...festivals... Where?
I ... working at a clinic, Which state? If you, BlueBird and Shy get stranded in Texas you are welcomed to stay safely at our ranch in rural East Texas, if you can not get home. Annie
Dense populations are going to be hit very hard by this pestiferousness little (flu virus) monster. "Technologist"
Stock 3 months water, food, weapon/ammo, meds, supplies, and some money at home.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 9:42am
hi Elver.. your right...it is legal to mandate it...but going house to house is not practical and what they do have ready is for healthcare workers, military and key economy role players...not sure they have enough for all that.  The school age children are a target group.... for cell (insect) based new tech vaccine with porcine serum.... 0 to 18 is very vulnerable to A/H1N1.  It is legal to go into schools without parent permission to assist this group in being vaccinated.  I try to ask parents to be more active- get PTA meetings going. most Doctors don't want blanket vaqccination.  Ill children should not have it ...asthma sufferers can't have it.... there is a list.. and parents need to make sure they want it for their child.  ...and what ever happened to that Car Czar? 

Now At Level 6 Thread by Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 10:37am
Vaccine Crisis... scroll down to read, Influenza pgs.  73 74

1. [P

vaccine-crisis

Some substances, such as an excess of protein putrefactive products, ...... New strains areconstantly being developed in an effort to conquer the latest flu ... “Is it possible that antigen in the swine-influenza vaccine evokes in some ...... It stands for changing and warping cells—into something very different. ...
    www.scribd.com/doc/2593749/vaccinecrisis - Cached - Similar
  2. DF] 

Swine Flu Vaccination – A Warning By BURTON A. WAISBREN SR. M.D. FACP

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View
    Swine Flu Vaccination – A Warning. By BURTON A. WAISBREN SR. M.D. FACP ... cells ofvaccine recipients should be tested for activity against myelin and ... Molecular Mimicry andAntigen Complimentarity in the Presence of an ...
    www.waisbrenclinic.com/swine-flu-vaccination.pdf - Similar
  3. Vaccine/Vaccination/Immunization Dangers - Hepatitis B Vaccine

Moratorium on Hepatitis B Vaccine Burton A. Waisbren, MD .... determinants held in common with the capsular antigen of the hepatitis B vaccine and myelin. ...
    www.nccn.net/~wwithin/hepatitisb.htm - Cached - Similar

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 10:42am
Rapid changes in a virus make vaccine design a difficult row to hoe... see aids

...It is already clear that his goal will not be met. The vaccine that is furthest along is made by a company called VaxGen, based in California. VaxGen recently completed a study that enrolled nearly eight thousand people, including twenty-five hundred intravenous drug users in Thailand.

The company's scientists are currently analyzing the data. The vaccine is a genetically souped-up version of a single protein from the outer shell of the aids virus. Unfortunately, the shell changes so rapidly that such approaches have failed several challenges in the past; most scientists are skeptical that this vaccine will prove capable of protecting many people for very long.

Don Francis, the president of the company--and among the first to warn the world about the epidemic--has said that he would be pleased if the vaccine worked a third of the time. By contrast, vaccines for measles, yellow fever, and pertussis have success rates that are greater than ninety per cent.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 5:57pm
someone asked about...lie flat and don't get up...even to go to the bathroom... (get adult diapers.)  the don't get up even if you think you are better may have come from a pdf by this doctor or a 1918 doctor... still looking.

found this on steam tents at home....

Constructing a Homemade Steam Tent

By Grattan Woodson, MD, FACP

excerpt-

Inhaling warm steamy air helps a variety of respiratory disorders.  These include croup, bronchitis, and pneumonia.  It is also useful for treatment of patients with thick bronchial secretions that are having trouble coughing them up.  Using a steam tent is an appropriate way to provide this treatment to patients who need it.

source-

Now At Level 6 Thread by Guest/Mary008

kristikaylene View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristikaylene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 6:11pm
"Lie flat" doesn't make sense to me...if my kids have bronchitis or an asthma flare, the first thing we do is prop their head and shoulders so that they can breathe easier. 

Doesn't everyone sleep in the recliner when they have a cold or flu?Wink
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 6:13pm
 sounds goo dto me :)

It means stay down... ?  but lie flat may have something to do with the neck? meningitis...
rather than a asthma flare up I imagine.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 6:14pm

here is Doctor Woodsons Pandemic Flu Guide

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 6:32pm

You can Copy the Free Flu Guide... or ask library to copy it...give website address above.

Please take it to your Doctor,

tell him an M.D. wrote it... and ask him if there is anything he would suggest for you and your family... leave him a copy.

In my opinion, as a general rule, provide everyone with the same level of supportive care. This is a rational course because it is not always possible to predict who will survive and who will not, especially early in the course of the flu.
Using scarce resources wisely

Patients in extremis, which means they are near death at the time they are encountered, should not be disturbed unless there is something that you can do to make them more comfortable. Fortunately, patients in extremis are usually already unconscious and beyond suffering.
If medical supplies are in short supply, especially like the antiviral drug Tamiflu, the decision on how to ration these resources is best made by health professionals if they are available.

If not, my suggestion is to concentrate your efforts and precious supplies on those with the best chance of survival, i.e., type 3 patients. In a severe pandemic it is unwise to use limited medical resources on critically ill type 1 or 2 patients, as they are unlikely to survive. So my advice is to focus your greatest efforts on type 3 patients where the prognosis is good for a complete recovery.
Supportive Treatment of Influenza

Home Flu Treatment Advice for the Laymen

Caring for severely ill flu patients is something that everyone is capable of doing. You can do this. No medical skill is required. The skills needed are the same parents use to care for their young children or adult children use to care for their elderly parents. The basic goals are to keep the patient clean, dry, warm and well hydrated.

They need a soft place to lie down and they need to be comforted and told that they are going to be OK and reassured that you will be there for them. The most important medical treatment is to make sure they have plenty of fluids. Dehydration must be prevented, as this can be fatal in a patient who would otherwise survive. This is really important. Keeping the patient hydrated is the best treatment for the flu and the one that is most likely to save lives.
Fever, body aches, chills, sore throat, and headache: Ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen are used to lower fever and help the patient feel better. The above symptoms respond well to these drugs. Use these products for the flu according to my instructions, not the bottle label. Don’t under dose the patient.

Many people take doses that are ineffective for fear of taking too much. Remember that acetaminophen can be used at the same time and in full doses as ibuprofen because they are in different drug classes and have different drug side effects. Combination treatment with both has an additive effect of benefit without increasing risk. The dose of ibuprofen I recommend you use is 2 to 4 tablets (400mg to 800mg) every four hours.14 For acetaminophen, the dose is two 500mg tablets 4 times daily. Do not exceed these doses for either drug. This is the maximum for both. There is a risk of causing Reyes Syndrome is children and teens with fever are given aspirin or aspirin like drugs including ibuprofen.15

A very high fever (> 104 F) can cause seizures and brain damage and must be avoided. Using tepid water sponge baths works well for a high fever. Do not use alcohol sponge baths instead of water. Alcohol can be absorbed through the skin, especially in children, resulting in toxic effects. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are very good at lowering temperature. Studies show that the body’s natural defenses are better able to fight infection with some fever (say up to 101 F), so maybe we shouldn’t try to completely suppress the temperature to normal (98.5 F).
Gargling with hot salt water is a good treatment for sore throat. Hot caffeinated tea is also very helpful for headache, sore throat, and cough.

We are taking advantage of the pharmacologic effect of caffeine, long recognized as an excellent herbal therapy for these problems. Hot or cold tea is also a mild stimulant that improves the sense of the patient’s well being. Sore throats also respond well to ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
14 For the purposes of this guide, ibuprofen means aspirin, Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen, or Nuprin since they are all alike. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is not an aspirin.

15 Reyes is a rare occurrence (1:1,000,000 annually) but can be a fatal one when it happens. Reyes is associated with increased pressure in the brain and liver damage. When confronted with a child or teen with an unremitting high fever (>104 F) that is not responding to acetaminophen/hydration/and tepid water sponge baths, one has to consider the risk of brain damage from fever verses risk from Reyes. This is a tough call. I would probably use the aspirin in this case, understanding various risks.

Food: Eating is not really important because the patient will be breaking down their own muscle and fat for energy. The flu takes your appetite away so the patient probably won’t be hungry. If the patient is hungry and asks for food, this is great as it is a real sign of improvement. By all means feed the patient at that point but your food selection needs to be appropriate. Specific directions on how to feed patients recovering from severe flu are provided below.

Fluids: What will be much appreciated by a sick patient, especially if they are dehydrated, is a simple Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) made from water, sugar and salt.

The ORS Formula
ORS is simply homemade IV fluids for oral use.
The formula is:
4 cups of clean water
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 level tsp salt
Identifying Dehydration: Preventing dehydration in flu victims will save more lives than all the other treatments combined.

When patients have a fever or diarrhea, they lose much more water from the body than is commonly appreciated. Symptoms of dehydration include weakness, headache, and fainting. Signs of dehydration include dryness of the mouth, decreased saliva, lack or very decreased urine that is dark and highly concentrated, sunken eyes, loss of skin turgor (the elasticity of the skin), low blood pressure especially upon sitting up or rising from the sitting to the standing position and tachycardia (fast pulse) when laying or sitting up.

Fever is an especially easy way to become dehydrated with no one even noticing. That is because the loss of body fluid occurs through the skin and quickly evaporates. This is called insensible loss, and great quantities of fluid can escape a patient this way quickly.

The smaller the body size and the higher the temperature, the faster this can happen. Water in the form of vapor is also lost through the breath. So when the patient is short of breath leading and breathing rapidly, this is another source of hidden fluid loss.
If you detect or suspect that dehydration is developing, administer fluids by mouth. If the patient is too ill to drink, someone should sit with the patient giving him or her fluids drop by drop if needed. Work up to using a teaspoon if possible. Don’t stop until the patient has been able to keep down at least quart of fluids. This could take several hours so be patient.

It will have a dramatic effect on sick patient’s well being and will be very rewarding to those of you who persist because you just saved a life. After the first quart, the patient should begin to urinate again. This is a good prognostic sign and when this happens you can assume you have restored their fluid level back to a safer level. “Safer” should not be confused with safe. Don’t stop there. With sick patients like these, you really need to “push the fluids” so don’t let your guard down.

This will be very refreshing for the patient and will quickly revive them. Fluids can be served cool or hot depending on the climate, patient symptoms, and fever status. A patient with a high fever should probably not be given hot fluids because it will raise the temperature further. A patient with a sore throat will get relief from a hot beverage. A patient hot with fever might prefer cool or even cold beverage. If it is cold outside especially if the patient is cold, use hot fluids. You can drink the ORS plain or flavor it with just about anything like citrus, mint, or herbs.

If juice is available, you can substitute 1 cup of it for 1 cup of the water and cut the sweetener in half. Boil the solution to purify it if needed or you can use purify water for drinking by adding 1/8 tsp of household bleach to 1 gallon of water. Administering fluids to the sick in your charge will be one of the main activities day in and day out until the crisis passes. Try and get 2 to 3 quarts of fluids down the patient every day at a minimum. Don’t give up or slack off. Make this your most important task.
Preventing the virus and bacteria from spreading within the household

It is unlikely that we will be able to limit exposure to the virus if there are a lot of sick people around us. The flu is so easily passed from one person to the next that it is difficult to control even in the hospital setting. The WHO has issued guidelines for reducing exposure among healthcare workers taking care of rare cases of H5N1 flu under “non-pandemic” conditions in the hospital setting. It is not likely that these techniques will be able to be followed for very long after the pandemic gets going, especially in the case of a major pandemic. The WHO recommendations were published in the

September 28, 2005 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.16 Under these pre-pandemic conditions the WHO recommends such things as negative pressure rooms, long-sleeved full-length gowns, gloves, and NIOSH N-95 masks, face shields or eye goggles.

Obviously these recommendations are not appropriate for home care. In truth, pandemic influenza is so infectious that those of taking care of sick folks in our homes are simply not going to be able to prevent being exposed to the virus. As we provide needed care to our family, friends and even sick strangers we will be constantly exposed to infectious viral particles. This will happen when we change soiled patient clothes and bedclothes and clean up spilled body fluids, blood, and excrement. Even simply breathing the air in the vicinity of the sick will result in significant exposure. So you see, we simply can’t avoid exposure.

It is a fact we will have to accept. Use of a cloth facemask is not effective in preventing the mask wearer from becoming exposed. It is useful for preventing you from spreading disease to someone else. Masks were thought to be an effective means of preventing spread of bacterial pneumonia as secondary infections in patients with lungs already weakened by flu during the 1918 pandemic but this opinion was never proven scientifically.

It will be very important to keep the sick and their bed and bed clothing clean and dry. Likewise the sick rooms and bathrooms need to be maintained in good condition. The soiled garments and bedclothes will need to be washed and dried, a task likely to be made quite challenging by the lack of electrical and water service. It will be important to wash these soiled items in hot water using soap and chlorine bleach if possible. Hard surfaces should be wiped clean using soap and water and then sprayed with 1:10 bleach to water solution and wiped down a second time. This will effectively remove all trace of body fluids, vomitus, and excrement and neutralize all infectious viral particles.

So, care givers and anyone in the vicinity of the sick, which will be virtually everyone, will be exposed repeatedly to the pandemic virus loads sufficient to cause infection. Despite this fact, if this pandemic behaves as expected, roughly half of us will not develop symptoms of flu or if we do will have mild cases. Those of us who do develop infection and recover, will be immune from the pandemic strain in the future.
Keep a record on every patient

It will be very useful for you to write down certain information about the patient or patients you are taking care of at home. Devote a section of the notebook to each patient you are taking care of. Keep the record in chronological order day by day. Keep as accurate and careful records as you can. Don’t worry about keeping a perfect record; just keep one that is good enough.

Each day start with the patient’s vital signs. Include their temperature, pulse rate, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Repeat the vital signs routinely 4 times daily (for instance at 0800, 1200, 1600, and 2000). These vital signs should be measured more often in very sick patients. You can get a really clear picture of how the patient is doing using these simple measurements. It is very important to keep up with the patient’s fluid intake and their output so record the fluid they are taking in and passing out in a notebook.

Intake is pretty easy since you are giving them the fluids but output can be difficult to accurately record. Have the patients to save all their urine by urinating in a bucket, pot, or basin instead of the toilet. Measure the urine output using the kitchen-measuring cup. The amount taken in is always more than the amount
16 The Writing Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) Consultation on Human Influenza A/H5, N Engl J Med 2005;353:1374-1385

passed out because of the insensible losses described above (loss through the skin and in the breath). If the patient is incontinent of urine, just indicate in the record that the patient was incontinent of a small, medium or large amount of urine. For our purposes, large is good, small is bad.
Diet Recommendations

The Clear Liquid Diet: A clear liquid diet is used to treat certain intestinal diseases, especially infectious diarrhea. Patients suffering from diarrheal illnesses often experience abdominal cramping and frequent, loose stools if they eat solid foods. In addition, a great deal of water and minerals (sodium, chloride, and potassium) are lost in the watery portion of the diarrheal stool; if you are not careful this can lead to dehydration. Patients with diarrhea have to drink considerably more fluid than usual to prevent the dehydration. This is especially important if the patient also has a fever, which in itself leads to increased loss of body water through the skin as perspiration.

17 The SOAP medical note format is a useful way to record medical information on patients. “S” is for subjective and used for what the patient tells you about their illness. This includes how they feel, what hurts and where, what they did for the symptoms, etc.

“O” stands for objective and includes the things you observed or measured. This means her vital signs, skin tone, fluid in and urine out. “A” is your assessment of the patient’s medical condition. “P” is the plan you make for helping the patient get better. I use this method in my practice and suggest it to you for your patient notes too.
18 Temperature can be measured in degrees F or C which ever is most familiar to you. In this manual, I use degrees in F.
19 The pulse is usually regular, like a tom-tom drum. The beats are equally spaced and occur regularly.

If you tap your toe to the pulse, a regular pulse is one that occurs predictably one beat after another. A regular pulse is normal. An irregular pulse is not. Having an occasional extra beat or drop beat is OK. A very fast irregular pulse can be a problem. This gets too complicated for me to give you specific advice except to say that a regular fast pulse in the context of flu suggests dehydration is present.

20 Normal respiratory rates are in the range of 12 to 16 breaths per minute. Fever and dehydration are associated with faster respiratory rates. Acidosis from massive infection is also a cause of high respiratory rates. When patients are near death, the respiratory rate slows down and becomes more and more shallow.

21 Normal BP is 120/80 or so but there is a wide range of normal from a low of 90/60 for teens and girls to 140/90 for some adults. Pressures below 90/60 are usually abnormal and in the context of flu due to dehydration. These low BPs are often associated with a high pulse. Try and keep the patient’s BP above 100 on the top and 60 on the bottom if possible.

22 Fluid in and out is best measured in milliliters (ml). Most kitchen measuring cups are graduated in both ml and ounces/cups.

Example Home Patient Medical Record

Patient Name: Mary Smith
Date of Birth: 3-31-1951
Date symptoms first began: January 15, 2006
1-17-05 3:00 PM Initial Note

Subjective (S)17: Mary became weak and faint today after suffering from muscle aches and pains for the last couple of days. She has trouble standing up without dizziness. She is nauseated and also complains of headache and sore throat. She is urinating but not as much as usual.

She has been trying to drink more but has been busy taking care of the sick. She has not been getting much sleep for the last 2 weeks.
Objective (O): Vital Signs: Temp: 102 F18, Pulse: 110/min and regular19, Resp Rate: 22/min20, BP 100/6021 The skin is pale and mildly moist. Mary looks very tired but is awake and alert. Her mouth is moist.

Assessment (A): Flu with mild dehydration and fatigue
Plan (P): Push fluids (ORS), ibuprofen 800 mg every 4 hours as needed for temp > 101 or pain. Bed rest. Keep track of fluid intake and urine output. Take VS and check hydration, fluid input/output, and 4 times daily. (Begin Tamifu if you have it) (Use anti-nausea meds if available).
1-17-05 6:30 PM
S) Mary’s sleeping on and off. She feels less faint but still dizzy. She is peeing.
O) Temp 100 F, Pulse 90/min, BP 100/60
Fluid In: 1500 ml22 ORS, Urine Out: 250 ml
A) Flu, improved symptoms, patient still dehydrated but hydration underway
P) Push more fluids.
In most cases, patients with diarrhea can tolerate a clear liquid diet without cramping or diarrhea.

This is because the small intestine can absorb water, minerals, and sugars pretty well even when infected. The diet starts off with clear liquids only. As symptoms abate, the diet slowly adds simple-to-digest, low-residue foods, one step at a time. Don’t advance to the next step until the patient is completely symptom-free in the present step. As the patient progresses through each step, if the cramps and diarrhea return, drop back to the previous step they tolerated.

This same Clear Liquid Diet approach is the one to use for patients who have been ill with the flu and have been too ill to eat. They will have been on Step 1 already so when they become hungry, begin them on Step 2 and advance them through the steps as above.

Step 1: Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS), water, fruit juice, Jell-O, Gatorade or PowerAid, ginger ale, Sprite, tea.
Step 2: Add white toast (no butter or margarine), white rice, and cream of wheat, soda crackers, and potatoes without the skin.
Step 3: To Steps 1 and 2 add canned fruit and chicken noodle soup.
Step 4: To Steps 1 through 3 add poached eggs and baked chicken breast without skin, canned fish or meat.23

Step 5: To Steps 1 through 4 add milk and other dairy products, margarine or butter, raw fruits and vegetables and high-fiber whole grain products.
By recognizing the symptoms a patient has or the signs of the disease in the body, you can use the chart below to guide your treatment. Here’s how.

Symptom or Sign
Likely Assessment
Remedy24
Low urine output
Dehydration
Push fluids
High pulse rate (>80 but especially > 90)
Dehydration or fever
Push fluids
Shortness of breath
Pneumonia
Push fluids
Shaking chills and shivers
Viremia (virus in the blood) or pneumonia
Keep warm
Cyanosis (skin turns blue)
Respiratory failure, death likely
Keep as comfortable as possible. Give hydrocodone with promethazine for comfort, give diazepam for anxiety

Bleeding from mouth, coughing up blood, passing red blood per rectum. Severe bruising.
A severe blood clotting abnormality has occurred due to the virus (DIC). Death is likely
Keep as comfortable as possible. Give hydrocodone with promethazine for comfort, give diazepam for anxiety

Vomiting
Virus affecting GI tract
Use promethazine for vomiting, push fluids
Diarrhea
Virus affecting GI tract

Push fluids, clear liquid diet
Severe stomach cramps
Virus affecting GI tract

Use hydrocodone and promethazine for comfort
Headache

Ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen or hydrocodone if very severe
Fever
I

buprofen, acetaminophen, push fluids, keep warm or cool, consider tepid water baths if > 102 F. OK if <101 as this may help kill virus.
Sore throat

Gargle with hot salt water; drink hot tea or hot water, ibuprofen and or acetaminophen.
Cough

Push fluids, drink hot tea for effect on breathing tubes, use hydrocodone ½ tablet with or without ½ promethazine to suppress cough if needed

23 Sick patients break down their muscle tissue for needed protein and calories. This is fine as long as it does not go on for long. It is important to begin feeding the patient high quality animal protein as soon as they can tolerate it to help them maintain their strength.
24 Are these the right treatments for this symptom in every case? Of course not! I am providing you with my best guess of how to manage the average very sick flu patient, but not every very sick flu patient. I recognize that for some like those with Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ADRS) or congestive heart failure for instance,

Advanced Home Treatment Considerations for Health Professionals
If you have access to Tamiflu, the dose is one tablet twice daily for 5 days. It is best to begin Tamiflu within two days of the beginning of symptoms but might be useful when used even later in the course.

Management of Dehydration Using Urine SG: Urine specific gravity is best measured using a hand held refractometer. You can also use a urine dipstick to estimate SG. Urine SG is an excellent objective measure of the state of patient’s hydration given normal renal function.

Urine SG ranges from 1.000 (distilled water) to 1.035 (really concentrated). Normal kidneys can easily concentrate urine to 1.020 or above without difficulty after a typical overnight fast. Patients with chronic renal insufficiency are not able to concentrate urine much above 1.010. A clinically dehydrated patient with a urine SG of 1.010 is diagnostic of renal failure.
Recommendation: Adjust the rate of oral fluid administration to maintain the urine SG between 1.010 and 1.020.

kristikaylene View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristikaylene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 6:53pm
I'm thinking that this is more about limiting activity...

In addition to wearing yourself out by doing too much too soon, there is a real danger of an ill/dehydrated person passing out and injuring themselves if they move too quickly.  (Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience!)

I'm going to go with "limited activity, in a comfortable position"...unless I decide to go with something else ;-)

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 9:23am

Here is some info from PUBMED on A/H1N1

Much of it is June July 2009

.................................................................................................................................

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 9:48am

UK Info....

UK pdf file... vaccine program Baxter and Glaxo ...using multi dose vials ...

2 doses. per.

more info. A/H1N1

DCSF public enquiry helpline on 0870 000 2288.

These can be downloaded from the links below:

More info..... please scroll down

OTC medicines provide relief for 'flu symptoms[28]
Symptom(s) OTC Medicine
fever, aches, pains, sinus pressure, sore throat analgesics
nasal congestion, sinus pressure decongestants
sinus pressure, runny nose, watery eyes, cough antihistamines
cough cough suppressant
sore throat local anesthetics

Children and teenagers with flu symptoms (particularly fever) should avoid taking aspirin as taking aspirin in the presence of influenza infection (especially Influenzavirus B) can lead to Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal disease of the liver.[29]

Off-label uses of other drugs

Several generic prescription medications might prove useful to treat a potential H5N1 avian flu outbreak, including statins, fibrates, and chloroquine.[30][31][32]

Statins

Statins have been proposed as a stopgap measure to fight influenza.[33] David Fedson, a major proponent of the study of statins, described "the statins/influenza idea is only that--an idea".[34] Its appeal is that cheap stockpiles of generic drugs might be mobilized against any strain of influenza. Because many patients take these drugs every day, while flu sufferers might use them for only five to ten days, there would be no risk of shortage. Though statins are ordinarily considered as cholesterol lowering drugs, they may have other effects. They might reduce inflammation in the lungs, attenuating the immune response to protect against cytokine dysregulation, or they may protect against cardiovascular complications.[35] A matched cohort study of 76,232 patients studying the effect of long-term statin therapy and a case-control study of 397 influenza deaths found a significantly reduced risk of death in those taking statins, which depended on the dose taken (odds ratio 0.60, 95% 0.44-0.81).[36]

Nutritional supplements and herbal medicines

Malnutrition can reduce the ability of the body to resist infections and is a common cause of immunodeficiency in the developing world.[37] For instance, in a study in Ecuador, micronutrient deficiencies were found to be common in the elderly, especially for vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12, folic acid, and zinc, and these are thought to weaken the immune system or cause anemia and thus place people at greater risk of respiratory infections such as influenza.[38] Seasonal variation in sunlight exposure, which is required for vitamin D synthesis within the body, has been proposed as one of the factors accounting for the seasonality of influenza.[39] A meta-analysis of 13 studies indicated some support for adjunctive vitamin D therapy for influenza, but called for more rigorous clinical trials to settle the issue conclusively.[40]

A recent review discussing herbal and alternative medicines in influenza treatment details evidence suggesting that N-acetylcysteine, elderberry, or a combination of Eleutherococcus senticosus and Andrographis paniculata may help to shorten the course of influenza infection. The article cites more limited evidence including animal or in vitro studies to suggest possible benefit from vitamin C, DHEA, high lactoferrin whey protein, Echinacea spp., Panax quinquefolium, Larix occidentalis arabinogalactans, elenolic acid (a constituent of olive leaf extract), Astragalus membranaceus, and Isatis tinctoria or Isatis indigotica. [41] Another review assessed the quality of evidence for alternative influenza treatments, it concluded that there was "no compelling evidence" that any of these treatments were effective and that the available data on these products is particularly weak, with trials in this area suffering from many shortcomings, such as being small and poorly-designed and not testing for adverse effects.[42]

N-acetylcysteine

The activity of N-acetylcysteine (NAC) against influenza was first suggested in 1966.[43] In 1997 a randomized clinical trial found that volunteers taking 1.2 grams of N-acetylcyteine daily for six months were as likely as those taking placebo to be infected by influenza, but only 25% of them experienced clinical symptoms, as contrasted with 67% of the control group. The authors concluded that resistance to flu symptoms was associated with a shift in cell mediated immunity from anergy toward normoergy, as measured by the degree of skin reactivity to seven common antigens such as tetanus and Candida albicans.[44]

Several animal studies found that in a mouse model of lethal infection with a high dose of influenza, oral supplementation with one gram of N-acetylcysteine per kilogram of body weight daily increased the rate of survival, either when administered alone or in combination with the antiviral drugs ribavirin or oseltamivir.[45][46][47] NAC was shown to block or reduce cytopathic effects in influenza-infected macrophages[48], to reduce DNA fragmentation (apoptosis) in equine influenza-infected canine kidney cells,[49] and to reduce RANTES production in cultured airway cells in response to influenza virus by 18%.[50] The compound has been proposed for treatment of influenza.[51]

Elderberry

A few news reports have suggested the use of an elderberry (Sambucus nigra) extract as a potential preventative against the 2009 flu pandemic.[52][53][54][55] The preparation has been reported to reduce the duration of influenza symptoms by raising levels of cytokines.[56][57][58] However, the use of the preparation has been described as "imprudent" when an influenza strain causes death in healthy adults by cytokine storm leading to primary viral pneumonia.[59] The manufacturer cites a lack of evidence for cytokine-related risks, but labels the product only as an antioxidant and food supplement.[60]

"Kan Jang"

The mixture of Eleutherococcus senticosus ("Siberian ginseng") and Andrographis paniculata, sold under the trade name Kan Jang, was reported in the Journal of Herbal Pharmacotherapy to outperform amantadine in reducing influenza-related sick time and complications in a Volgograd pilot study of 71 patients in 2003.[61] Prior to this, an extract of Eleutherococcus senticosus was shown to inhibit replication of RNA but not DNA viruses in vitro.[62] Among nine Chinese medicinal herbs tested, Andrographis paniculata was shown to be most effective in inhibiting RANTES secretion by H1N1 influenza infected cells in cell culture, with an IC50 for the ethanol extract of 1.2 milligrams per liter.[63]

Passive immunity

Transfused antibodies

An alternative to vaccination used in the 1918 flu pandemic was the direct transfusion of blood, plasma, or serum from recovered patients. Though medical experiments of the era lacked some procedural refinements, eight publications from 1918-1925 reported that the treatment could approximately halve the mortality in hospitalized severe cases with an average case-fatality rate of 37% when untreated.[64][65]

Bovine colostrum might also serve as a source of antibodies for some applications.[66

Infection control guidance
Last modified date: 14 May 2009
 Pandemic influenza: guidance for infection control in hospitals and primary care settings
Published: 15 April 2008

This guidance document replaces the infection control guidance published in October 2005. The changes and amendments in this edition are detailed on page 4 and include updated advice on aerosol-generating procedures. This advice takes into consideration and addresses the categorisation of such procedures in the recently published interim guidance from the World Health Organization on 'Infection prevention and control of epidemic- and pandemic-prone acute respiratory diseases in health care' (June 2007).
Pandemic influenza: guidance for infection control in hospitals and primary care settings Infection control training material
Published: 15 April 2007

A range of infection control training materials has been produced, including a summary of the guidance for infection control in healthcare settings during an influenza pandemic, posters on the correct use of personal protective equipment (PPE), and a short training video (added 17 October 2007).
Infection control training material Infection control guidance for non-NHS sectors
Infection control guidance in the event of a flu pandemic is now available for some non-NHS sectors.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) and the Department of Health (DH) have worked with various organisations to develop guidance for the following: funeral directors, the hospitality industry, fire and rescue services, cleaning and refuse staff and the police.
Each of the guidance has standard text, which explains what pandemic flu is, how it is spread and how you can protect yourself and others from it. It then addresses issues relevant to the particular sector. For example, the guidance for the hospitality industry includes sections for hotel managers on decontaminating hotel rooms and the advice to give to guests.

Pandemic flu guidance for funeral directors Pandemic flu guidance for cleaning staff and refuse collectors in non-health care settings Pandemic flu guidance for the Fire and Rescue Service Pandemic flu guidance for the hospitality industry Pandemic flu guidance for the police service Pandemic flu guidance for environmental health practitioners Pandemic flu guidance for businesses: risk assessment in the occupational setting

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Annie Annie wrote:

Originally posted by MedClinican MedClinican wrote:

...My family is leaving ...to ...festivals... Where?
I ... working at a clinic, Which state? If you, BlueBird and Shy get stranded in Texas you are welcomed to stay safely at our ranch in rural East Texas, if you can not get home. Annie

Appreciated. We might pass through San Antonio where I am working on an autobio for a World War II Veteran.  We have done some festivals in San Antonio. Mostly people drink too much in the heat and humidity and then they have problems. If you have a crowd of thousands- it gets pretty zippy in the clinic. 

The title of this thread- might be changed not long off to we are now at Level 6 severity level 2- they are broadcasting a level 2 for U.S. by late July or August.

I am just trying to weave through the - yes - there is a partial blackout of numbers and news on Swine Flu. In fall fairness- it is a lot worse in some countries than the U.S.  I like Texas- always did since I trained medical at Brooke Army Medical.  Pretty place. A lttle muggy - but nice.

I am recerting my ACLS (Advance Cardio life support) so we can run crash teams- M.D.s are gonna be real scarce- and I'm the type to run a code- won't have the drugs for a chemical code- but we'll have the defib unit and whatever else we can get.

Of course the deal with we are at level 6- is that after years of messing with Avian- we actually are in a Pandemic. Kinda like getting a medical degree- you get it and then you think. um well... so.. then what..

I'd listen to Dr. Chan- a lot. She has got to be one of the most well briefed people on the planet. She is no alarmist. We have her to thank for get us to alert level though, and she knows more than is out there- and there are reasons to be prepping a lot and looking at August.

Med Clinician - still at it after all these years
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 12:03pm

Sleeping%20soundly%20-%20Click%20image%20to%20download.

Taking Care of Yourself:

What to Do if You Get Sick with Flu

On this page:

Flu Symptoms

The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death.

Symptoms of flu include:

• fever (usually high)
  • headache
  • extreme tiredness
  • dry cough
  • sore throat
  • runny or stuffy nose
  • muscle aches
  • Stomach symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, also can occur but are more common in children than adults.

While getting a flu vaccine each year is the best way to protect against flu, influenza antiviral drugs can fight against influenza, offering a second line of defense against the flu.

Antiviral Drugs

Antiviral drugs are an important second line of defense against the flu.

• If you do get the flu, antiviral drugs are an important treatment option. (They are not a substitute for vaccination.)
  • Antiviral drugs are prescription medicines (pills, liquid or an inhaler) that fight against the flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in your body.
  • Antiviral drugs can make your illness milder and make you feel better faster. They may also prevent serious flu complications. This could be especially important for people at high risk.
  • For treatment, antiviral drugs work best if started soon after getting sick (within 2 days of symptoms).

There are four flu antiviral drugs approved for use in the United States. CDC has issued interim guidance on which antiviral drugs to use during the 2008-09 flu season: The four antiviral drugs are:

• Oseltamivir (brand name Tamiflu ®) is approved to both treat and prevent influenza A and B virus infection in people one year of age and older.
  • Zanamivir (brand name Relenza ®) is approved to treat influenza A and B virus infection in people 7 years and older and to prevent influenza A and B virus infection in people 5 years and older.
  • Amantadine (Symmetrel®, generic) is approved to treat and prevent only influenza A viruses in people older than 1 year.
  • Rimantadine (Flumadine®, generic) is approved to prevent only influenza A virus infection among people older than 1 year. It is approved to treat only influenza A virus infections in people 13 and older.

Antiviral drugs differ in terms of who can take them, how they are given, their dose (which can vary depending on a person’s age or medical conditions), and side effects.

For more information, see “Information for Health Care Professionals: Using Antiviral Agents for Seasonal Influenza” or consult the package insert for each drug. Your doctor can help decide whether you should take an antiviral drug this flu season and which one you should use.

If You Get Sick

Most healthy people recover from the flu without complications. If you get the flu:
  • Stay home from work or school.
  • Get lots of rest, drink plenty of liquids, and avoid using alcohol and tobacco.
  • There are over-the-counter (OTC) medications to relieve the symptoms of the flu (but never give aspirin to children or teenagers who have flu-like symptoms, particularly fever).
  • Remember that serious illness from the flu is more likely in certain groups of people including people 65 and older, pregnant women, people with certain chronic medical conditions and young children.
  • Consult your doctor early on for the best treatment, but also be aware of emergency warning signs that require urgent medical attention.

Emergency Warning Signs

Seek emergency medical care if you or someone you know is having any of following warning signs discussed below.

In children, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

• Fast breathing or trouble breathing
  • Bluish skin color
  • Not drinking enough fluids
  • Not waking up or not interacting
  • Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
  • Fever with a rash

In adults, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Sudden dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting

Seek emergency medical care if you or someone you know is experiencing any of the signs above.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

Sleeping%20soundly%20-%20Click%20image%20to%20download.

Taking Care of Yourself:

What to Do if You Get Sick with Flu

Mary, this is a whole lot different than what I got through the military when I had the flu last month.

Basically, have ascertained that I had the classic symptoms, I was transferred to triage and then all this talk of antivirals- is it realistic.

Already it is beginning to develop Tamiflu resistance. When we start kicking 100,000 per day in U.K. or U.S. at August end- don't you think giving a lot of Tamiflu is going to give us the same resistance we got with the seasonal flu.

Secondly this is NOT  disease of the old- it is a disease of the young. Most of the serious cases are from 20-40 with a lot more even in the young. People over 60 hardly even get it at all.

We were told to watch for fever.  This isn't the common cold. This is a whole different ballgame.

Staying isolated- avoiding crowded places (you might talk to the VP of the U.S. on thins one) right off he was avoiding confined places and elevators like the plague.

Also working with a team of social workers the psyche part is very important.  So important a the support sites they will have counselors on how to deal with the stress of the whole ordeal.

Maybe this is what a more aggressive and intensive way of aproaching this is about. A big red flag is don't let the person who has it give it to the rest of the family.  They should wear a mask- they should be kept separated even if it seems weird.

Just a few thoughts.

med

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 8:26am

At Flu.gov

NEW

WATCH 2009 FLU SUMMIT VIDEO

"We are going to be confronted by new facts."

Here

CDC FLUVIEW REPORT

..............................................................................................

Week 25 ending June 27, 2009

10 states reported --  widespread influenza activity

11 states reported  -- regional influenza activity

Hardest hit with influenza- Region 4

% positive for flu -- 52.7 %

Region 4 : IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

For the current week,  Region 3 has a higher positive % for flu.

Region 3 -  DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, WV      -  55.0 % positive

........................................................................................................................................

you have to be tough to read this... I didn't get far.
Seems pigs may be more trouble to us than they are worth?
Not according to Corp profits.
Seems there is an age old warning about keeping pigs among us?
..........................................................................................................................................

America's top pork producer churns out a sea of waste that has
destroyed rivers, killed millions of fish
and generated one of the largest fines in EPA history.
by JEFF TIETZ
the_nations_top_hog_producer_is_also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 9:41am

First found by ANNIE-

2009 Flu Prevention PSA Contest

Create a Flu Video & Be Eligible to Win $2500

Help us protect our families and communities.

Create a video Public Service Announcement

with the message of preventing or dealing with the flu, post it on YouTube, and you could win a $2,500 cash prize!

VIDEO

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 10:04am

Why are so many people sick from Swine Flu in Wisconsin?
............................................................................................................................................

More than twice the case number as in .......     highly publicized New York

confirmed cases...

Wisconsin

New York

A-H1N1 Swine Flu Likely Originated in US Lab

By William Sutherland

excerpt-

...When the first reported cases of A/H1N1 swine flu emerged in April 2009, it was widely believed that the novel influenza strain originated in Mexico. By late June, when evidence failed to materialize confirming a Mexican origin, a new theory hypothesized that A/H1N1 originated in Asia and was transported unintentionally via an unsuspecting human carrier to North America. This though, probably is not the case. Instead it is likely, though not confirmed, that A/H1N1, is a genetically engineered creation that originated in the United States, specifically in a lab in Madison, Wisconsin that had accidentally escaped through some kind of contamination.

The evidence for this scenario is compelling:

1. Prior to the A/H1N1 outbreak, The Institute for Molecular Virology (IMV) located in Bock Labs (administered by the University of Wisconsin-Madison) had been involved in a transmission capability study for vaccine production. This study involved reverse genetic engineering of a tissue specimen that had been extracted from a deceased Intuit woman who had succumbed to Spanish influenza that had killed up to 50 million people during the 1918-19 pandemic.

2. The current A/H1N1 version is a "highly unusual virus" never seen before that combines genetic material from North American human, avian, and swine flus and Eurasian swine flu.[1] Such a combination is unprecedented having never been found in pigs, birds, or people per The Associated Press, and likely improbable to have emerged naturally. When the fact that no close relatives of the current strain exist and IMV's mission - to conduct virology research and training at a molecular level - is taken into account, creation through artificial genetic engineering offers the best explanation.

3. Retired Australian researcher Adrian Gibbs, who played a leading role in the development of Tamiflu, a highly-effective anti-flu drug, theorized on May 12, 2009 that the new strain of A/H1N1 likely escaped from a laboratory setting because it exhibited characteristics "of having undergone 'accelerated evolution' such as what happens when flu viruses try to adapt to growth in eggs" during vaccine studies.[2] Although The World Health Organization (WHO) swiftly ruled out Mr. Gibbs' theory a day later, it is implausible that sufficient research to ascertain a conclusion could be completed in only 24 hours.

continued here-

I don't want to think it was that dumb...
I'll think it was the 5,000 plus sailors returning from Asia to California.   :/

But I'm still wondering why twice as many people are sick
from Swine Flu in Wisconsin as are reported sick in New York.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 7:06pm

Please....   ask about the side effects.... read the inserts....ask for it.

(no multi use vials.... ask for single use vial...in front of you...)

How crazy is this?

Hepititis B? $$$

Hepatitis B Vaccine

The hepatitis B virus is primarily transmitted through activities which
result in the exchange of blood or blood-derived fluids.

Vaccination is recommended for health care workers, and long-term travelers to high
Hepatitis B endemic areas.

It's a LAW at School?

Hmmm ... remove child from school?

some parents do it.... talk about the state taking over....

many doctors are against making it mandatory for ALL children...

(I am not against all vaccines... my child had them when a few were required,
nowdays it's like 3 times as many?)

I am FOR Informed Parental Consent

• Vaccine Concerns Archive: Hepatitis B

June 2002 GACVS Report: Hepatitis B Vaccine and Multiple Sclerosis; Hepatitis B Vaccine and Leukemia Source: Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety ...
    www.immunize.org/safety/hepb.htm - Cached - Similar
  • Immunization Safety Review: Hepatitis B Vaccine and Demyelinating ...

Mar 15, 2007 ... In the report, Immunization Safety Review: Hepatitis B Vaccine and Demyelinating Neurological Disorders, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) ...
    www.iom.edu/CMS/3793/4705/4435.aspx - Cached - Similar
  • Institute for Vaccine Safety - Hepatitis B Vaccine Issues

IOM Report on Hepatitis B Vaccine and Demyelinating Neurological Disorders. The Institute of Medicine's Immunization Safety Review Committee found that the ...
    www.vaccinesafety.edu/cc-hepb.htm - Cached - Similar
  • Institute for Vaccine Safety - Activities and Publications

Jan 7, 2009 ... SAFETY OF HEPATITIS B VACCINATION PROGRAMMES ... (Halsey NA, Duclos P, Van Damme P, Margolis H. Hepatitis B vaccine and central nervous ...
    www.vaccinesafety.edu/hb-mtg.htm - Cached - Similar

Jun 30, 2002 ... Immunization Safety Review: Hepatitis B Vaccine and Demyelinating Neurological Disorders.
    www.nap.edu/books/0309084695/html/index.html - Cached - Similar

Immunization Safety Review: Hepatitis B Vaccine and Demyelinating ... Appendix C: Chronology of Important Events Regarding Vaccine Safety, 103-106, (skim) ...
    www.nap.edu/catalog/10393.html - Cached - Similar
  • Hepatitis B Vaccines: Adverse Reactions. Thinktwice!

Vaccine Safety Manual For the most comprehensive information available on the hepatitis B vaccine, including 52 pages of safety and efficacy data, ...
    www.thinktwice.com/hepb.htm - Cached - Similar
  • Safety of neonatal hepatitis B vaccine administration.

Safety of neonatal hepatitis B vaccine administration. Lewis E, Shinefield HR, Woodruff BA, Black SB, Destefano F, Chen RT, Ensor R; Vaccine Safety Datalink ...
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11734710 - Similar
    by E Lewis - 2001 -
    Cited by 22 - Related articles - All 3 versions

Medclinician View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 8:57pm
    Geek

There's a lot of exchange of information  going on behind the media, Mary. This looks like its gonna get bad.
    Let me share something with you...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1769452

I could have posted this as a thread.. but I think its too intense.

Swine flu virus unpredictable, scientists warn

Life Threatening; Starts like regular flu, then lungs stop functioning

Anyone who develops serious flu-like symptoms should seek immediate medical attention, because no one can predict when the H1N1 flu virus, or swine flu, will turn life-threatening in otherwise healthy people, infectious disease experts are warning.

Severe cases are occurring, in which the infection starts off like regular seasonal flu, with fever and cough, but then the lungs rapidly become inflamed and stop functioning.

"It looks to most of us like a primary viral pneumonia that deteriorates five or six days into therapy," says Dr. Allison McGeer, director of infection control at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital. "It's really severe illness."

"If you're young and healthy, you can recover from that severe lung injury. People do. But it takes a very long time," Dr. McGeer said.

"Sometimes we're talking about a month, five weeks on a ventilator before you are breathing on your own. Some people can be left with so much residual lung damage, they will have abnormal lungs for their lifetime."

Scientists are scrambling to understand why otherwise healthy people are becoming seriously ill with swine flu.

But Dr. McGeer said attempting to identify whom this happens to "is the same as trying to pick out people who, faced with Group A [streptococcus], get necrotizing fasciitis -- flesh-eating disease -- when most of the rest of us get nothing, or minor illness," she said. "The parallel is, I think, identical.

"If you have underlying illness, if you are pregnant, there are things we know are risk factors," Dr. McGeer said.

"But I don't think there's anything that labels these people any more than there's something that labels people who get necrotizing fasciitis."

As of July 3, there had been 8,883 confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu virus across Canada, 663 of which have led to hospitalization, and 29 of which have ended in death.

And as the number of cases climb, H1N1 is showing signs that it can move outside the respiratory tract to other parts of the body, something regular flu viruses normally do not do.

Researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta found H1N1 virus in the small intestines of ferrets infected with HIN1 isolates taken from three people who developed mild, severe and fatal flu.

The finding could explain why swine flu is causing vomiting and diarrhea in about 40% of cases, symptoms that are not typical of garden-variety flu.

"That's not normal. Influenza should just be in the lung," said Earl Brown, an influenza expert at the University of Ottawa. "This is the first time a human flu has done this in a ferret. The question is: How does it get there? You don't like to see a flu virus move outside the lung."

The virus did not spread to other organs, such as the kidney or brain. But it suggests H1N1 influenza A is hardier and can survive in the environment longer than normal flu.

High amounts of the virus were also found in lung tissue, "which we don't typically see with seasonal strains," said Terrence Tumpey, a microbiologist at the Centers for Disease Control's influenza division.

They also found significant weight loss in the ferrets infected with the new swine virus.

"It tells us that this virus has the capability of causing more illness in mammals, in comparison to the seasonal strain," Dr. Tumpey said.

comment: everyone is so busy trying to calm everyone down so as not to lose money- we scientists and researchers know this critter to be real unpredictable and nastier than the spin going out.  Its not a wonderful day in the neighborhood.

This is worse than seasonal strains. This has the potential to get really ugly.

So, I bury this disturbing post and won't put it up as a thread for the deep readers. No use telling the preppers to prep or the skeptics to prep. The first group is ready- the second will not smell the coffee until the rest of it is burnt toast on the bottom.

reread what I just have posted here from a medical point of view. It is not what we are hearing on the main media at all. It is what the inside people are hearing. It is why we are at a Pandemic level. 

finally: I don't like posting this stuff- but it is medically sound. This is not a typical flu virus. Those in the research community, those at WHO knew before we went to  6- that there were reasons for going 6 in addition to that is was a real spreader. It has the potential to come back in second wave, jump outside the respiratory system. Much of this is academic. We only have so much resources and we are watching Tamiflu get in trouble. Now is the time to get your water, food, medicine- whatever you need - before people starting getting upset and before we have higher CFRs. It might not go bad- but right now it is looking more likely it will. iMHO.

Med

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:11am
    And as the number of cases climb, H1N1 is showing signs that it can move outside the respiratory tract to other parts of the body, something regular flu viruses normally do not do.

as in meningitis, it all sounds like 1918....also a swine flu.

We are all thinking.... and want to think, nothing can be that bad.... but, we'll nail the doors shut if we get scared,   So let's not. Yet.   We will know by Sept. if the kids should NOT go back to school.  Give out Vac's at clinics and or churches... for heaven sake don't heard the kids together in crowded schools with live Vacs.  Dumb.

S-OIV  ....    simply the latest strain of H1 hemagglutinin virus which first appeared

in both humans and swine in 1918 and has returned in different variants ever since.

NEJM
    New England Journal of Medicine

Triple-Reassortant Swine Virus Seen Since 2005 in US

NEJM releases content addressing various issues related to outbreak

THURSDAY, May 7 (HealthDay News)

Eleven cases of infection similar to the swine flu outbreak currently under way -- triple-reassortant swine influenza A (H1) viruses -- have been documented since 2005 in the United States, according to a study led by researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and released May 7 by the New England Journal of Medicine. This study was accompanied by another study, two editorials, and three perspectives focused on the swine flu outbreak.

The NEJM noted that the swine origin influenza virus (S-OIV) that causes the H1N1 flu is simply the latest strain of H1 hemagglutinin virus which first appeared in both humans and swine in 1918 and has returned in different variants ever since.

The S-OIV will continue to mutate in unknown ways over the coming months and might even replace H1 virus as the seasonal flu virus, evolving new antigenic variants every year, the journal speculated. To further support clinicians, who will be challenged to recognize the disease when it returns, the journal said it will establish an H1N1 Influenza Center at NEJM.org to provide information and links to the latest data on the outbreak.

In an editorial, the NEJM urged clinicians to prepare for the next wave of H1N1 flu in the fall and drug manufacturers to launch an accelerated program to develop a vaccine in time.

"Completing seasonal-vaccine production and adding a monovalent S-OIV vaccine to production will be challenging both technically and in terms of policy, but it can be done," the NEJM editorialized.

source
    http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Pathology/Triple-Reassortant-Swine-Virus-Seen-Since-2005-in-/ArticleNewsFeed/Article/detail/597185

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 1:25am

H1N1 is showing signs that it can move outside the respiratory tract to other parts of the body, something regular flu viruses normally do not do.
    ...................................................................................................

May cause systemic infection?    (we don't like to see the virus outside the lungs...)

They want to give this to children?

Please Read  and   r e m e m b e r   this     >>>>>
    ...............................................................................................

...It definitely causes local infection and may cause systemic infection. ...

From-

Pulmonary Physicians of Tidewater, P.C.

Influenza

excerpt-

How about this nasal vaccine -Flumist - I’ve seen advertised on TV?

It costs more than twice as much as the injection, and insurance may not cover it for

adults. Medicare definitely will not cover it for those over 65.  This IS a live-virus

vaccine.  It can be spread to others, especially by health-care workers in contact with

the sick.  It definitely causes local infection and may cause systemic infection.  There is

frequent irritation and sniffles. 

We are not stocking it at our office.

Source-
    http://lungdocs.com/id18.html

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 7:34am

THURSDAY, May 7 (HealthDay News)

Eleven cases of infection similar to the swine flu outbreak currently under way -- triple-reassortant swine influenza A (H1) viruses -- have been documented since 2005 in the United States, according to a study led by researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and released May 7 by the New England Journal of Medicine. This study was accompanied by another study, two editorials, and three perspectives focused on the swine flu outbreak.

The NEJM noted that the swine origin influenza virus (S-OIV) that causes the H1N1 flu is simply the latest strain of H1 hemagglutinin virus which first appeared in both humans and swine in 1918 and has returned in different variants ever since.

The S-OIV will continue to mutate in unknown ways over the coming months and might even replace H1 virus as the seasonal flu virus, evolving new antigenic variants every year, the journal speculated. To further support clinicians, who will be challenged to recognize the disease when it returns, the journal said it will establish an H1N1 Influenza Center at NEJM.org to provide information and links to the latest data on the outbreak.

In an editorial, the NEJM urged clinicians to prepare for the next wave of H1N1 flu in the fall and drug manufacturers to launch an accelerated program to develop a vaccine in time.

"Completing seasonal-vaccine production and adding a monovalent S-OIV vaccine to production will be challenging both technically and in terms of policy, but it can be done," the NEJM editorialized.

This is a long post- if you have read my stuff before and you know how it can be- time to move to the next post... John

Mary, you are well informed. I don't know what exactly what you do or where you get your data, but you are on top of this. Pretty tired last night, as I was up most of the night putting the pieces of the puzzle together. We could get all linky and technical but I have a video of the scientist telling people in 2005 of the triple recombination and how it virtually ensured us of a coming serious Pandemic.  You're not yet, is true. What we are seeing is this thing becoming "chronic." It is remutating and getting passed back and forth.

I know you must read between the lines and are aware we have people reading and looking for reassurance. We once spent several days arguing about who would mow the lawn. Finally, I simply got the gas, cleaned the plugs (it had been broken and no one could start it- so after a few pulls they quit)- took an old fashioned power mower (no fancy tractor ride around) and in 3 hours (we have acres of lawn) sat drinking lemonade and looking at a mowed lawn.

Well, we have millions of people discussing how to mow the lawn. Let me tell you a story (this a rant- exit signs to click your mouse and go away) This was told me by a dear friend Jessie Walton, a black minister who helped train me at 16 to become a Christian minister. Nope, I did a Jonah thing. And the whale will get me yet- but lets get to our story. He told me, and I told many.

We were driving through an area of the United States noted for oranges. I was fascinated (now having lived this story in real life) at all the oranges on the ground. As far as the eye could see. Unpicked oranges. Drove for miles and then I saw a sign.

It said "Orange Pickers Union."

Lots of cars parked outside. And so I went inside and there were almost a thousand people there. There was a man behind the podium and this was a man on fire with zeal for orange picking. In his hand was 'The Orange Picker's manual' and his eyes flashed as he bashed the podium with his fist and the PA squealed back in protest.

'And thou shalt go to all the earth and harvest the oranges from every country and place on the globe.'

There were amens, there were tears, people saw Jesus in the rafters, one women began speaking in another language. I was moved. Deeply. Almost to tears.

And then he said- bring forth the basket. There was singing, there was praying, there were hallelujahs. He became very very solemn and he looked up to an unseen presence and said- this I do for you- and he put 3 oranges in the basket.

Then it got even more rowdy. More singing. And then everyone started looking t their watches. It was lunch time. And he had gone 61 minutes- an unheard of speech length for this meeting.

They all left- except for the man and I standing at the door way and I looked out at  the fields, and typing now... I feel..

Those are the ones are are not ready. Those are ones that are not prepared. Yea- we may get the manual out there- but I asked my family- after all I have told you- speeches from people who are concerned- not just for their own countries, but for the world.  Some are out throwing blankets over the oranges so you can't see them.

I see a storm coming.  And this is not me alone. If we can save a single family, or community, or decrease the deaths by millions, while some many keep saying- there is no problem. We are not there yet.

Well, first my friend Jessie is dead now. I went by the old church when I was in San Jose on 8th street to the congregation who still work there. I told them about Jessie. What a truly blessed and fantastic person he was and mentor to me.

Most will survive the Pandemic of 2009 or 2010 or several waves of Pandemics.  The kind of minds working on this- its like talking to Kurzweil. We tell people- the virus is not interested in religion, race, or politics or the economy or the pork sales.

I am sorry guys- but where do you think this came from?  We have a pork farm the size of Kansas (figuratively) in Mexico- I put up a twitter addy given to me by a guy working with CNN who went to the boys house and described the conditions where this was bred. The military and law enforcement would not let them in the farm.

You really have to be careful about putting our entire social order on one number. CFR- case fatality ratio- and then holding on to that like an icon- saying it won't change.
    It is changing.

Point.

Prepare. Start putting those oranges into baskets. Most of you reading this are not prepared. It is because only 1% really are. And 99% are not - and only a small percentage is really watching or even cares.

It is no big deal. That is the spin. Every year we have the flu. Summer isn't coming this year for us in West Virginia. Last night the sky was blazing with lightning and it was pouring rain. It has been raining for months. The end of the flu season isn't coming either. It is July, and it is likely millions have the flu. I posted a lot of back up for a probable million cases of flu in the U.S.,  even from CDC.

I will be posting as I can, the manual.  Yes, there is stuff all over the net. The net (look at the 60% of loss of work force in parts of Australia)- who is going to keep the net up?
    Sometimes for fun I fix peoples computers. I see actual tears when their baby is dead and I can bring it back to life.  People are addicted to the net. We are living in the Matrix.

When the lights go out- then...

we need to help our country. Yep, time to flip the switch the other way . Its not just paying dollars or demanding jobs- it is called if we do not - we aren't going to have a country that is ours anymore. The bomb can't protect us against the flu.

The clock is ticking. Communities need to be organized and plans set in place. We need to know what to do when the lights go out. And they very well might.

Medclinician
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:31pm

Choice Is Very American   Thumbs%20Up

oh my, try not to subvert.... you anti children people!

it's ok to Choose.... it's very American...hello... Mayflower?

it's ok to have rights...  Many excellent Doctors believe in Informed parental Consent.

who feels it's Godly to inject animal/insect cells, simian tumor virus...oops (in polio vac's)

we just want the safest least harmful, well tested vaccines possible for the kids.

if we can go to the moon and delve into nanotechnology, we can figure it out.

VIDEO

excuse the emotional display...

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:31pm

Did leak from a laboratory cause swine flu pandemic?

By Steve Connor, Science Editor

Tuesday, 30 June 2009

It has swept across the world killing at least 300 people and infecting thousands more. Yet the swine flu pandemic might not have happened had it not been for the accidental release of the same strain of influenza virus from a research laboratory in the late 1970s, according to a new study.

excerpt

Professor John Oxford of the Royal London Hospital said that the accidental release of the 1950s strain of H1N1 in 1977 is entirely plausible, but it may have been a good thing as it would have given many older people alive today some measure of immunity to the current pandemic. "We can look upon it now as a stroke of good luck," he said.

Ermm

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 5:51pm

Swine flu pandemic 'caused by accidental leak from laboratory'

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 11:30 AM on 30th June 2009

Man%20made:%20The%20swine%20flu%20pandemic%20may%20have%20been%20caused%20by%20an%20accidental%20lab%20leak%20in%201977

Man made: The swine flu pandemic may have been caused by an accidental lab leak in 1977

The swine flu pandemic may have been caused by an accidental leak from a laboratory three decades ago, scientists have claimed.

An investigation into the genetic make-up of flu viruses claims the pandemic may not have occurred, had it not been for the accidental release of the same strain of influenza virus from a research lab in 1977.

The Independent reported that researchers believe this strain of the virus had been extinct in the human population for more than 20 years until it was unwittingly reintroduced by scientists.

The study in The New England Journal of Medicine said: 'Careful study of the genetic origin of the (1977) virus showed that it was closely related to a 1950 strain, but dissimilar to influenza 'A' (H1N1) strains from both 1947 and 1957.

'This finding suggested that the 1977 outbreak strain has been preserved since 1950. The re-emergence was probably an accidental release from a laboratory source.'

The strain is thought to be behind the pandemic in 1977 which began in Russia and China.

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 6:00pm

FOR ENTERTAINMENT VALUE ONLY
    ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

On the Flu Bug and Those Disappearing Microbiologists

Date: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:40 pm ((PDT))

Jolly Roger
    April 26, 2009
    If you sell crack, join a gang, or rob the mob you can expect to die a violent
    death, but if you listen to your mother, eat all the right foods, and study hard
    in college to become a microbiologist, you should expect to live to a ripe old
    age and die peacefully.

That being the case, a few eyebrows were raised when five microbiologists either
    disappeared or died mysteriously violent deaths in 2001. A short time later the
    number rose to 19, and then 29.

They were found stabbed to death in the trunks of cars, thrown off bridges, or
    they wrapped their cars around trees after their brake fluid disappeared. Once
    again, this is the stuff of Hollywood spy stories, and not the way you would
    expect a microbiologist to give up the ghost.

By 2005, we lost 40 micro-biologists in less than 4 years, all under suspicious
    circumstances, and during this time someone discovered that they were all
    working for the government, or government contractors, on projects related to
    bio-terrorism, flu pandemics, or anthrax. Obviously they weren't trying to find
    a cure for anything, or there would be no need to silence them.

Then it was discovered that our government was involved in strange experiments
    that involve exhuming bodies of people that were killed by the 1918 Spanish flu,
    and genetically engineered flu viruses, all the while the media is preparing the
    public with stories of bird flu wiping out thousands of chickens (acid test?)
    and even a few people here and there.

People who are becoming accustomed to the practices and motives of our criminal
    government tried to warn you of an impending flu pandemic, but your TV training
    taught you to dismiss them all as "crazy conspiracy theorists," and you
    naturally associated all their warnings with stories of Bigfoot and UFO
    abductions, just as you were trained to do.

The good folks of FEMA predicted a need for a few million plastic coffins, which
    are now spread out across the country, but despite this revelation, most of
    America still thinks their biggest concern is a toss up between the Super Bowl
    and American Idol.

Well it seems as if the crazy conspiracy theorists were right again, because the
    world-wide flu pandemic they were warning you about has been unleashed, and it
    will dominate the headlines until millions, if not billions of people are dead.
    It won't be stopped because no one with the means to stop it wants to stop it.

Wash your hands often, pull your kids out of school, avoid crowds, if not people
    altogether, avoid alcohol or drugs that will weaken your resistance, and stay
    well-nourished.

Two of the goals here are to cull the population, and to encourage general
    mayhem and misery that only a World Government
    can save you from. You'll be so
    worn out and tired of death and depression that you'll offer little resistance
    to the new order.
    The economic collapse and World War three are part of the same
    plan, and it's all been tried before. It's the same crew behind this latest
    attempt, and it's not difficult to see who's behind it all, once again.

This flu pandemic that will soon cause people to drop like flies is no mutated
    bird flu. It's a genetically engineered virus designed to kill as many people as
    possible.
    And after people do start dropping like flies, political dissidents
    will be accused of being flu carriers and no one will object to them being
    hauled away. Good luck. — Jolly Roger

Here's an interesting link:
    (not in this life time buckaroos.. this link has been deleted.. thank you very much..MC)

comment: but of course imagine all the non-nice people who have had access to this data and for how long.

if you start at the bottom of the page and work your way up you'll see a nice
    collection of news articles that document the entire process of creating and
    testing a flu bug that will wipe out millions of people.
    (or at least that part of the process that's revealed to the public)

Thanks to Lori Price of legitgov.org for compiling these articles

comment: how totally ridiculous huh... those people at National EQ can sure write a good yarn....

Med
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 9:13pm
    Hi Medclinician,  In this article or news piece did you happen to see the names of these 40 microbiologists?  I think the more factual information or details we get the better we can research ourselves before calling senators/representatives and so forth.  Believe me when i say anyone can call and or write to them and they will investigate.  Anyway just asking. thanks, Tip.
    waenderer View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waenderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 10:20pm
    Originally posted by wrote:

Now at Level 6

ithink we allready know now what level it is ...so whydoes this message keeps popping up ??
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 9:50am

By Steve Connor, Science Editor

Tuesday, 30 June 2009

It has swept across the world killing at least 300 people and infecting thousands more. Yet the swine flu pandemic might not have happened had it not been for the accidental release of the same strain of influenza virus from a research laboratory in the late 1970s, according to a new study.

excerpt

Professor John Oxford of the Royal London Hospital said that the accidental release of the 1950s strain of H1N1 in 1977 is entirely plausible, but it may have been a good thing as it would have given many older people alive today some measure of immunity to the current pandemic. "We can look upon it now as a stroke of good luck," he said.

Ermm

Killer flu samples shipped via FedEx, DHL

Debacle sheds light on byzantine system

for transporting germs

...................................................................................................................

source

But accidents do occur — and some scientists feel they’ve been too close for comfort.

Last month, a FedEx truck carrying five boxes of samples of anthrax, flu, tuberculosis, salmonella and E. coli collided with a car in Winnipeg. None of the dangerous germs escaped.

In 2003, a FedEx package containing West Nile virus exploded at the Port Columbus International Airport in Ohio. Firefighters suspected dry ice caused it to burst open. No one was injured, but 50 workers had to be evacuated.

At least 18 such “hot labs” are being planned or built in the United States in the coming years, and a growing number of scientists are being trained in the darker aspects of microbiology as part of a huge federal effort to combat bioterrorism.

“The more FedEx exchanges of biological material you have between labs, the more opportunities there are for accidents,” Byravan said.

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 9:58am
    thanks for the direct to the video Melody...

VIDEO

When the interviewer made the intellegent comment... (which many of us have made before) .......There is a huge gap (a month?) between when school begins.... and when a vaccine is available.  The Doctor's reply was...  " ...In the spring many school closing did occur..."  

So might it be a good idea to keep the schools closed UNTIL the children can be protected?  How bright are the people in charge?

And how long does it take for the vaccine to impart immunity to the child?

I'm thinking that in the 4 to 6 weeks prior to any immunity imparted by vaccine.... most of the children will have been exposed to the virus.... so why the big push for vaccination on such a major scale?   $$$$$$$

Annie View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 10:11am

.... And how long does it take for the vaccine to impart immunity to the child? ....
    I think I read two weeks.
    Dense populations are going to be hit very hard by this pestiferousness little (flu virus) monster. "Technologist"
    Stock 3 months water, food, weapon/ammo, meds, supplies, and some money at home.
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 12:49pm
    thanks Annie...

so... we add about 2 weeks to about mid October ( I saw mid ...welcome input)

and that seems a bit late.

AP Interview: Kids may get swine flu shots first

By LAURAN NEERGAARD – Jun 16, 2009

excerpt-

So the Food and Drug Administration will closely track vaccine safety, Sebelius said.

The secretary said: "The worst of all worlds is to have the vaccine cause more damage than the flu potential."

Rest assured .....that after the kids all get it.... the Govt. will track it..... for Safety

read article here-

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 6:57pm
    Originally posted by TipKat TipKat wrote:

Hi Medclinician,  In this article or news piece did you happen to see the names of these 40 microbiologists?  I think the more factual information or details we get the better we can research ourselves before calling senators/representatives and so forth.  Believe me when i say anyone can call and or write to them and they will investigate.  Anyway just asking. thanks, Tip.

I knew a talk show guy, coast to coast radio, who did a show on this. He called me late at night and asked me to maybe do something (I do other things than post flu articles) and I told him it was too creepy. I have the list. I put it up as humor so people won't start reading in people are being snuffed. Our worst case was a guy who came with a hantavirus- mouse- that was supposed to be the real deal. He was talking major weapon - rapid onset-
    we talked to his friend who said he wasn't exactly Mr. personality- and was reading the riot act to a bunch of crack heads in a parking garage and they took him out. At least that was the police report.

But over the last few years we have quite a few high profile egghead science guys dying in well- suspicious circumstances. I declined the interview because -(hard to believe) it was too conspiracy for me. And if there were anything to it- why get put on the list?

I can dig up the list. Its pretty lengthy and stored in a - neutral place-He was pretty religious about the whole deal- now his radio show is gone- his wife is gone- and he is struggling to survive. When I data mine, I was told once to wear blinders and look for only what you are looking for.

We did verify the list though. And the deaths. Of course, for entertainment value only.

Medclinician
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 7:29pm

Don't be alarmed... (they say) Just be aware of the risks.

(now get in that school , line up and stick ou that arm for your forced shot)

is this making any sense?  if there are risks ...is it safe?  Why do they have to force people?

Why is forcing citizens legal in the USA?   Is it a bad dream?   Am I in  China?

Why do they want to inject you with insect cells?

VIDEOS

Swine Flu Insect Vaccine H1N1

What's In A Flu Shot? 

(don't forget the caterpillar cells)

Forced Vaccines

Who Is calling the shots?    (the new tobacco.... it's safe we promise)

The Harmful lots are still out there.... talk about no recalls

"Now Show" with Katie Couric 1994 part 2

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 12:30pm
    I thought this was interesting... from a cardiologist... sorry it's large.

source-

Seventy percent of doctors do not get a flu shot.

Flu virus exists in people year-round, and new strains seed a population during the "off-season." In the northern and southern temperate zones, flu epidemics occur in the cold part of the year, October-March and April-September respectively. Flu epidemics occur in the tropics during the rainy season.

Explanations for why flu epidemics occur in the winter when it is cold - people being indoors in close contact, drier air dehydrating mucus and preventing the body from expelling virus particles, the virus lingering longer on exposed surfaces, like doorknobs, with colder temperatures -do not explain why flu epidemics occur in the tropics.

Something that can explain why flu epidemics also occur both in warm and cold climates is this: During a flu epidemic, wherever it may be, the atmosphere blocks ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation from the Sun. In the temperate zones above latitude 35 degrees North and South, the sun is at a low enough angle in the winter that the ozone layer in the atmosphere absorbs and blocks the short-wavelength (280-315 nanometers) UVB rays. In the tropics during the wet season, thick rain clouds block UVB rays.

Skin contains a cholesterol derivative, 7-dehydrocholesterol. UVB radiation on skin breaks open one of the carbon rings in this molecule to form vitamin D. The activated form of vitamin D (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D) attaches to receptors on genes that control their expression, which turn protein production on or off. Vitamin D regulates the expression of more than 1,000 genes throughout the body. They include ones in macrophages, cells in the immune system that, among other things, attack and destroy viruses. Vitamin D switches on genes in macrophages that make antimicrobial peptides, antibiotics the body produces. Like antibiotics, these peptides attack and destroy bacteria; but unlike antibiotics, they also attack and destroy viruses.

Vitamin D also expresses genes that stop macrophages from overreacting to an infection and releasing too many inflammatory agents - cytokines - that can damage infected tissue. Vitamin D, for example, down regulates genes that produce interleukin-2 and interferon gamma, two cytokines that prime macrophages and cytotoxic T cells to attack the body's tissues. In the 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic that killed 500,000 Americans, young healthy adults would wake up in the morning feeling well, start drowning in their own inflammation as the day wore on, and be dead by midnight, as happened to my 22-year-old grandmother and my wife's 24-year-old grandmother. Autopsies showed complete destruction of the epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract resulting, researchers now know, from a macrophage-induced severe inflammatory reaction to the virus. In a terribly misguided way, these victims’ own immune system attacked and killed them, not the virus, something in future pandemics vitamin D, in appropriate doses, can prevent.

A creditable hypothesis that explains the seasonal nature of flu is that influenza is a vitamin D deficiency disease. Cannell and colleagues offer this hypothesis in "Epidemic Influenza and Vitamin D" (Epidemiol Infect 2006;134:1129–40). They quote Hippocrates (circa 400 B.C.), who said, "Whoever wishes to investigate medicine properly should proceed thus: in the first place to consider the seasons of the year." Vitamin D levels in the blood fall to their lowest point during flu seasons. Unable to be protected by the body’s own antibiotics (antimicrobial peptides) that this gene-expresser engineers, a person with a low vitamin D blood level is more vulnerable to contracting colds, influenza, and other respiratory infections (e.g., respiratory syncytial virus).

Studies show that children with rickets, a vitamin D-deficient skeletal disorder, suffer from frequent respiratory infections; and children exposed to sunlight are less likely to get a cold. Given vitamin D’s wide-ranging effects on gene expression, other studies, for example, show that people diagnosed with cancer in the summer have an improved survival compared with those diagnosed in the winter (Int J Cancer 2006;119:1530-36).

A growing body of evidence indicates that rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults (both a softening of bones due to defective bone mineralization) are just the tip of a vitamin D-deficiency iceberg. Tuberculosis and various autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, lupus, and type I diabetes have a causal association with low vitamin D blood levels. Vitamin D deficiency plays a causal role in hypertension, coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, peripheral vascular disease, and stroke. It is also a risk factor for metabolic syndrome and type II diabetes, chronic fatigue, seasonal affective disorder, depression, cataracts, infertility, and osteoporosis. At the bottom of the vitamin D iceberg lies cancer. There is good evidence that vitamin D deficiency is a causal factor in some 15 different common cancers. (NEJM 2007;357:266-81.)

The increased number of deaths that occur in winter, largely from pneumonia and cardiovascular diseases, are much more likely due to vitamin D deficiency than to an increased prevalence of serologically-positive influenza virus (which also results from vitamin D deficiency).

Experts reckon that an optimum blood level of vitamin D (25-hydroxyvitamin D) is 50-99 ng/ml. (Children need a blood level >8 ng/ml to prevent rickets. It takes a concentration >20 to maintain parathyroid hormone levels in a normal range. A level >34 is needed for peak intestinal calcium absorption. And in elderly people neuromuscular performance steadily improves as vitamin D blood levels rise to 50 ng/ml.) The government's recommended daily allowance (RDA) for vitamin D is 400 IU (international units) a day, an amount sufficient to prevent rickets and osteomalacia but not vitamin D's other gene-regulating benefits. To achieve all of vitamin D’s benefits one has to take an amount ten times the government’s RDA -4,000 to 5,000 IU a day.

A light-skinned person will synthesize 20,000 IU of vitamin D in 20 minutes sunbathing on a tropical beach, at which point vitamin D synthesis shuts down for the day (it takes a dark-skinned person 6 to 10 times longer to make this amount). Human breast milk does not contain vitamin D, since, from an evolutionary standpoint, our African ancestors’ infants, reared near the equator, could readily synthesize this gene regulator from sunlight in their skin. Food contains very little vitamin D. (The highest concentrations are in wild salmon, mackerel, sardines, and cod liver oil.) Federal regulations now require that some foods, like milk, be fortified with vitamin D. But one would have to drink 200 glasses of milk to obtain the amount of vitamin D a light-skinned person can make in 20 minutes sunbathing.

The majority of Americans are vitamin D deficient, with a 25-hydroxy D blood level<20 ng/ml, or insufficient, with a level of 20-<30 ng/ml. Cheap vitamin D supplements (D3, not D2) provide the only way most of us can maintain a year-round vitamin D blood levels greater than 50 ng/ml. That requires taking 4-5,000 IU of vitamin D a day (50,000 IU every ten days or 150,000 IU a month).

Taking vitamin D in these doses is safe, far safer than a flu shot with all the bad chemicals it contains. Concerns about vitamin D toxicity are overblown. One can take a 10,000 IU vitamin D supplement on a daily basis without any adverse effects. In healthy persons, long-term consumption of more than 40,000 IU a day is necessary to cause an elevation in the blood calcium level (hypercalcemia), the first manifestation of vitamin D toxicity (Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:694-97). Check your vitamin D (25-hydroxy D) blood level. People with granulomatous diseases like sarcoidosis should also check their blood level of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, the active form.

Can a shot (or tablets) of vitamin D prevent influenza better than a flu shot? There is good reason to believe that it can.

Doctors in India and Canada give people a once-yearly injection of 600,000 IU of vitamin D (MJA 2005;183:10-12). That would be better, and safer, than having a flu shot. Daily, weekly, or monthly vitamin D tablets work just as well. For more on this subject see my article "Vitamin D in a New Light" and visit Dr. Cannell’s Vitamin D Council website.

Investigators have completed one double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial that shows vitamin D prevents colds and influenza significantly better (P<0.002) than a placebo pill (Epidemiol Infection 2007;135:1095-6). A large multi-center randomized trial conducted over multiple flu seasons comparing vitamin D to a flu shot can show conclusively which is better, and safer. But given the financial stakes underpinning flu shots, and unpatentable vitamin D, who will fund it?

In the meantime, considering what is most likely to be the outcome of such a trial, if it is ever conducted, I recommend that you avoid flu shots and take vitamin D instead.

Notes

Influenza virus Flu viruses are classified into types A, B, and C. Type A viruses cause most influenza epidemics. They exist, replicate, and mutate in swine and horses; seals, dolphins, and whales; migratory water birds, geese and ducks; domestic birds chicken and turkeys; and humans. Type B and C viruses exist only in humans and only type B causes (relatively mild) infections. Influenza A viruses are further categorized into subtypes on the basis of two surface antigens (proteins): hemaglutinin (H) and neuraminidase (N). There are 15 different H and 9 different N antigens. The 1918–19 Spanish flu pandemic was caused by an H1NI Type A virus. Subtypes of influenza viruses are further classified by the names of cities, states or countries, along with the year they were discovered. For the 2008-09 (northern temperate zone) season, officials predict and have directed vaccines to be made against A/Brisbane/59/2007 (H1N1), A/Brisbane/10/2007 (H3N2), and B/Florida/4/2006. In an unusual departure, they are all different from the previous season, which missed the strains that caused influenza that season. What doctors diagnose as "influenza" is often an influenza-like illness caused by a respiratory virus other than the flu. Serologic tests are necessary to prove that one’s respiratory illness is actually caused by the flu virus.

Other things to do to prevent the flu Avoid sugar. It suppresses immunity. Avoid Omega-6 vegetable oils (corn, safflower, sunflower, peanut, canola, and soybean oil). Americans consume 50 times more of these oils than are necessary for good health. In this amount they are powerful immune suppressants. Take a well-balanced multivitamin/mineral capsule on a daily basis. Eat garlic. Manage stress. Exercise. Get enough rest. And wash your hands. Viruses spread most often from touching contaminated objects, like doorknobs, phones, shared computer keyboards, and shaking hands.

October 3, 2008

Donald Miller (send him mail) is a cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is a member of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness and writes articles on a variety of subjects for LewRockwell.com. His web site is www.donaldmiller.com

Copyright © 2008 LewRockwell.com

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 2:48pm
    It's nice to see the CDC ask for

some Common Sense to be utilized MORE in the Medical Field....Mgrs run the Office/Clinic

CDC offers pandemic advice for outpatient facilities

Robert Roos News Editor

It is critical to assure that medical offices and other outpatient facilities (e.g., outpatient/ambulatory clinics, outpatient surgery centers, urgent care centers, physical therapy/rehabilitation offices or clinics) that provide routine, episodic, and/or chronic healthcare services can manage an increased demand for services in the midst of a novel H1N1 influenza outbreak.  Ensuring a sustainable community healthcare response will be important for a likely recurrence of novel H1N1 flu in the fall. See CDC’s H1N1 website for up-to-date information.

1.  Develop a Business Continuity Plan - Novel H1N1 flu outbreaks will impact your organization, employees, suppliers of critical materiel, and your family.  Identify your office/clinic’s essential functions and the individuals who perform them. Make sure you have trained enough people to properly work in these essential functions and allow for potential absenteeism. Develop a plan that will sustain your core business activities for several weeks.  Make sure you have alternate plans for critical supplies in case there is disruption in your supply chains. For information about planning see:

2.  Inform employees about your plan for coping with additional surge during pandemic - Provide clear and frequent communication to ensure that your staff are aware and understand the plan.  Explain any policies and procedures that will be used to protect staff and your patients, and to manage a surge of patients. Improve the resiliency of your staff by advising that employees have a pandemic family plan or personal plans.

3.  Plan to operate your facility if there is significant staff absenteeism - Are you ready for 20 to 40% of your employees not being able to come to work?  Cross training your staff is key to resilience here. What else can be done to assure continuity of operations with reduced staff?

4.  Protect your workplace by asking sick employees to stay home - Be sure to ask sick staff to stay home. All personnel should self monitor daily for signs and symptoms of febrile respiratory illness.  Staff who develop these symptoms should be instructed not to report to work, or if at work, should cease patient care activities and notify their supervisor.  Be sure to align your sick leave policies so ill staff can stay home. See What to Do If You Get Flu-Like Symptoms for more information.

5.  Plan for a surge of patients and increased demands for your services -Consider using your telephone system to deliver messages to incoming callers about when to seek medical care at your facility, when to seek emergency care, and where to go for information about caring for a person with flu at home (see Interim Guidance for H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu): Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home). Consider extending your hours of operation to include telephone triage of patients during a community outbreak.

6.  Care for patients with novel H1N1 flu in your facility - Make plans to screen patients for signs and symptoms of febrile respiratory illness at entry to the facility. If feasible, use separate waiting and exam rooms for possible novel H1N1 flu patients; plan to offer surgical masks to symptomatic patients who are able to wear them (adult and pediatric sizes should be available), provide facial tissues, receptacles for their disposal, and provide hand hygiene products in waiting areas and examination rooms.  For information on caring for patients see: Interim Guidance for Clinicians on Identifying and Caring for Patients with Swine-origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection.

7.  Take steps to protect the health of your workforce during an outbreak of H1N1 - All healthcare personnel who come in close contact with patients who may have novel H1N1 flu should take precautions to include use of respiratory and eye protection for all patient care activities (see: Healthcare Workplaces Classified as Very High or High Exposure Risk for Pandemic Influenza).  For information on the use of infection control measures including use of personal protective equipment for staff, see Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Novel Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting. Plan now to stockpile sufficient PPE for your staff. (see: Proposed Guidance on Workplace Stockpiling of Respirators and Facemasks for Pandemic Influenza). 

8.  Provide immunization against seasonal flu at no cost to your staff - In the fall there may be several influenza strains circulating at the same time. Although seasonal flu immunization will not provide protection to novel H1N1 influenza, annual influenza vaccination is recommended for health care professionals and will likely protect against seasonal influenza strains. See: Influenza Vaccination of Health-Care Personnel.

9.  Make sure you know about the pandemic planning and response activities of the hospitals, outpatient facilities and local public health in your community -  Actively seek information from and coordinate with key medical, clinical facilities and public health departments in your community to learn about how they will manage patients during a pandemic. Medical offices, emergency rooms, urgent care centers and hospitals in communities with outbreaks will likely have difficulty managing a large influx of patients; a coordinated community response is important to manage surge and assure optimal patient care.  Develop a plan to manage your patients who do not need to seek emergency services.

10.  Plan now so you will know where to turn to for reliable, up-to-date information in your local community - Staff in healthcare settings should monitor the CDC H1N1 Flu website and local and State health department websites for the latest information. See these websites for contact information for local health departments and State health departments.

Be prepared for a range of situations. The true impact of novel H1N1 flu outbreaks in the coming months will not be known until it happens. Be prepared for a possibility that your facility will have significant increased demand for services and the possibility that the fall outbreak may have greater impact than the outbreak in the spring, 2009. 
    For more information see the Medical Offices and Clinics Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist.  Also sign up to receive regular updates about novel H1N1 influenza, emerging infectious diseases, and other emergency preparedness and response information by going to www.emergency.cdc.gov/clinregistry .

Includes medical offices and clinics as well as offices that provide psychological, dental, podiatric, chiropractic and other clinical services.

Links to non-federal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the federal government, and none should be inferred. CDC is not responsible for the content of the individual organization Web pages found at these links.

CDC's 10 recommendations for medical offices and

outpatient facilitieshttp://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/10steps.htm

source

l

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 5:09pm
    buried in work, but some really interesting and informative posts Mary, Melody, and others.

Medclinician
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 5:41pm

We know A/H1N1 is here...  people are not dropping like flies...   yet.

So we might want to look for info on

H3N8

it's in

Ducks
    horses
    pigs
    dogs

we could be next....   read on.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8062-deadly-dog-flu-jumped-from-horses.html

The deadly canine flu that has been making domestic dogs and racing greyhounds ill in the US jumped from horses in a "very rare event", say scientists.

Although the possibility that the virus could also jump to humans cannot be ruled out, scientists are urging calm. But researchers at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta say they will be monitoring human exposure.

2009: Tu Jiagang; Zhou Hongbo; Jiang Taozhen; Li Chun; Zhang Anding; Guo Xuebo;
    Zou Wei; Chen Huanchun; Jin Meilin

Isolation and molecular characterization of equine H3N8 influenza viruses from pigs in China.

Archives of virology 2009;154(5):887-90.

During 2004-2006 swine influenza virus surveillance, two strains of H3N8 influenza viruses were isolated from pigs in central China.

Sequence and phylogenetic analyses of eight gene segments revealed that the two swine isolates were of equine origin and most closely related to European equine H3N8 influenza viruses from the early 1990s.

Comparison of hemagglutinin (HA) amino acid sequences showed several important substitutions. One substitution caused the loss of a potential glycosylation site, and two substitutions, located at the cleavage site and adjacent to the receptor-binding pocket, respectively, had been reported previously in canine H3 HAs. This expansion of host range of equine H3N8 influenza viruses with mutations in the HA protein might raise the possibility of transmission of these viruses to humans.

H3N8 is suspected of causing a human influenza pandemic in either 1889 or 1900.

Sources differ; some say the 1889 pandemic was caused by H2N2. The experts also
    differ on exactly how sure we can be that either were involved.[1]

A 1997 study found H3N8 was responsible for over one quarter of the influenza
    infections in wild ducks.[2]

(wikipedia)

and the CDC goes on to say...

However, human infections with new influenza viruses (against which the human population has little immunity) would be concerning if they occurred.
    Influenza viruses are constantly changing

and it is possible for a virus to change so that it could infect humans and spread easily between humans.

Such a virus could represent a pandemic influenza threat. For this reason, CDC and its partners are monitoring the H3N8 influenza virus (as well as other animal influenza viruses) along with instances of possible human exposure to these viruses very closely.

www.cdc.gov/flu/canine

endman View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 5:58pm

Well nature has population control measures like wolfs, lions, sharks, they are predators that make sure that herd is not sick by eliminating sick or week animals and preventing major dessies in the wider population.

Maybe we have a branch of the government that dose exactly that. The swine flu will not kill young and healthy but old and sickly making our nations stronger in the process

This sounds like the words from the Third Reich

V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 7:47pm

We know A/H1N1 is here...  people are not dropping like flies...   yet.

Mary-

Despite the stir in Yucatan, the second wave has not hit. I am getting more and more reports of a modified strain which can take someone out in 6 days- causing complete respiratory failure. Also, the mutation which is causing GI problem in 40% of the cases, the step toward systemic, there were outbreaks of meningitis, is pointing towards the emergence of a tougher strain which will come with the second wave.

You have been posting like a house of fire, but not very much comments as you used to what I am putting up. Miss your commentaries and supporting posts.

Medclinician

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 3:25pm

hi... have flu here... mild but extremely tired today...hangs on.  I put up a few things but too tired to find info to converse on.  How are you?  Did you say you were going for an operation?  Hope all goes very well for you. 

(it will be another day or 2 before I can write much) 

right now am just listening to the below... not a lot different than what we already know.

File:EdwardMoran-UnveilingTheStatueofLiberty1886Large.jpg

Media Advisory

..........................................................................................

CDC Briefing on Investigation of Human Cases of H1N1 Flu
    ...................................................................................................

Friday, July 17, 2009
    12 p.m. ET

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 4:24pm

some of what I heard.....

disease in younger pop.  less in elderly...higher attack rate in younger persons and pregnant women

challenges when children return to school

individuals and families should be preparing.

to be as ready as possible...

intensive care with younger people.plans for volintary vaccination in the fall... assuming there is a safe vaccine available.

venues for vaccination... funding announced to prepare for vaccination.

Wether  tiering of supplies is appropriate.

meeting later this month to touch on thos matters.

updating guidence in next several weeks.

govt. is working on vaccine development

questions

Helen Branswell

vaccine timelines....

when FDA will get Data?... will it considider other than usual data that is normally given ...

ans in part...

will not have the data for some time....

(hearing about Vaccine a lot)

on stoping the reporting of case counts

case counts not as useful... may not be a good use of everyone's time....

Not the best way to track what is going on.

adjuvents.... use ...... in emergency situation...

(I don't think from what I hear that anything will be there until the begining of November.
    We did know already here at AFT, that we could not expect a safe vaccine at the first several months of a pandemic.)

(Folks.... it's all over the place... forget the count.... now the death rate is interesting...

fairly low right now.)  

reporter is asking about liability....

clinical trials evaluation..... liability issue covered through the prep act.... not expecting the usual liabilitiey issuses to occur....

Manufacturers have planned the studies....
    studies...more detail....studies by manufacturers....FDA..... answer questions..... value of studies....  no... expansion on the prep act.... have that act so there is no barrier to vaccines....

(got that.... no liability as I am hearing it.)

they have no idea yet if there will be closures of schools or working from home....but it is good to talk it through....ahead of time.

...we do not know how effective an H1N1 vaccine will be in different populations .....we will be tracking the effectiveness of the vaccines after it's been used, so we understand how well it did.... we don't necessarily get the information ahead of time, we usually have to get that information during the season....

the best place for healthy kids is in school...they also get breakfast and lunch....

we have a lot more tools at our disposal today... we learned about this a lot earlier

(vaccine) contracts with 5 companies....concerns in the media have not been part of the dialog....

(I like this Doctor....she is pretty honest with info)

anyway that's some of what what I heard....   :)

Mary008
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 7:25pm

3D%20island%20-%20Click%20image%20to%20download.   

Novel H1N1 Flu Situation Update
    July 17, 2009, 11:00 AM ET

Week 27 ending July 11, 2009

INFLUENZA%20Virus%20Isolated

Be leary... note illness in the communities in and around the cities... don't rush to

experimental vaccines without knowing the facts.   If schools are not closing in the cities

and there is no massive death count....don't rush to line up, talk to your Doctor.

If you ask about the safety of adjuvents, which they would use in an emergency ...

if your Doc can't speak to the safety...and the animal cells...  and the exact reason

for the law for absolutely no liability to the manufacturers....

speak up.... say....this is important information that all parents want to know

prior to lining up.

Coffee%20steams%202

Click on your Region>>>>

Here     to see a flu graph for your particular area....which is most accurate for you.

Mary008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
      Share Topic