Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

***nurses.com reports check it out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ***nurses.com reports check it out
    Posted: April 29 2009 at 9:45pm
***nurses.com is running the poll if nurses will work during a Pandemic...47.7 say NO.

They also have some interesting comments. I can't belame them I would not risk my life and the lives of my family during this crisis.

People need to prepare to stay home!
mercurymom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercurymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2009 at 9:56pm
Wow! That is really interesting. Thanks for posting!
There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings. ~ Dorothy Thompson
moolooman69 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moolooman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2009 at 11:05pm

Yep, pretty surprising, I thought nurses would have thrown themselves right into the fray.

Here it comes
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2009 at 11:48pm
When they first did the polls a full fifty percent said they would not work during a pandemic. So this is three percent up from that.

Also does this poll, poll only the currently employed nurses about remaining at work or does it poll nurses who are not currently working anyhow?
moolooman69 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moolooman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2009 at 1:04am
Maybe these nurses know something we dont?
Here it comes
denszcz View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denszcz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2009 at 2:45am
  New York State issued preliminary guidelines on ventilator triage in a crisis last year.  Do you know what the prioritization for health care workers to get a ventilator?  As I recall, nurses and other healthcare workers were in the middle or bottom of the list.  It was considered the fairest way to do things since there was no point in giving all the vents to doctors and nurses so to speak.  here is the link to the article:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/influenza/pandemic/ventilators/docs/ventilator_guidance.pdf

In particular, look at page 27. At the risk of sounding cynical, might it be tough to get them out there if they understand that they will be allowed to die without treatment because they do not meet the criteria and are not given any priority for putting lives on the line?  I am sure many of these nurses have little kids to think of as well.
Be Well
Denise
Denise
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2009 at 8:34pm
It's an interesting thread - I've been following it for a while and posted a couple of times. I'm in healthcare and if it got as bad as the original premise for the poll (high CAR/CFR, no ppe/antivirals/vaccinations) I wouldn't go in. My biggest concern would be taking the virus home to my family.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 4:40am
Here is one that says yes. The people I have spoken to in Veterans and also in Virginia have a fairly simple scenario for those of us who will be on the disaster teams. We cannot get vaccine or even shots for our families. It is a one person life or death thing, and we will be injected with "every thing they have got" before going into the infected areas. Nurses will be like gold in a Pandemic. With our years of medical training and hands on experience of treating and helping patients- in some instances this is superior to those who give the orders versus those who actually have to have skill to carry them out.

Yes, a lot of people will be huddle with their families, and not a lot of us will be out their in the wastelands with people crying out, dying, suffering, and looking for some kind of hope, compassion. During the outbreaks in Nigeria nurses and doctors were running down the road. One doctor who thought he was somehow divinely protected died when he went to investigate the outbreak.

Most masks and protective gear are not that effective. It is truly odd to be asked to wash your hands if the disease cannot be transferred by handling objects as well as bed clothes and other articles. Of course it can. During the plague, they burnt not only the people, but everything they had touched, their bedclothes, and still from 30%-50% died.

As a nurse on and off for almost 30 years I have seen a lot. Two of my best friends died from treating HIV patients. Two girls, nurses, I dearly loved thought they could touch patients and would not get it. One died a horrible death in a basement in San Francisco, treated like an animal, her sister giving her food and collecting clothes to be burned through a slot in the door. Fear.

We ate Thanksgiving dinner one year, our whole family with my cousin who has had HIV for 12 years and he made the dinner. I guess that proved the point for some. It did not prove it for my friends who died.

One stuck herself with a needle by accident but the other never was stuck - may have just got it from a kiss and bad teeth.

We don't, I don't condemn those during the Pandemic who are not willing to risk their lives to help others. We don't condemn the police who will not go out in riots where they would be killled, nor .gov which will go down into safe houses and be washed and scrubbed like those in Andromeda Strain.

I lost another helper last night and I am sad today. She and her family think there is no real risk and it is all one big fake thing being blown way out of proportion. In essence she thought a Survival Manual for most people wasn't necessary.

That one hurt deeply. I have poured my life blood into this, trying to get data out there.

Probably holing up will decrease the spread, but eventually everyone who is succeptable to it, will get it. They are working on a vaccine for what is going around "now." By the time they finish, the virus will have changed.. probably a lot.

So anybody here going out with me into the fields of destruction and baptism of fire? I wonder. Probably not very many.

Medclinician

denszcz View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denszcz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 12:44pm
Med
I worked ER and inpatient during the height of the HIV epidemic in NYC, never had a second thought about it.  Luckily never got a needle stick, I will not say it was because of skill.I feel sorry for your losses, it is terrible to lose a friend.  I am going out to see people now. I have been afflicted by many occupational illness through working with sick people and never gave it a second thought until I got exposed to something that was not so easy to treat.  The treatment caused me lots of problems but cured it. Since them I have held back more but never avoided a patient.  I am hoping I will do the same here. However, I no longer work in hospitals so it will be limited to the people who can make it to clinics and my friends and neighbors and family who need my help.
Denise
Denise
denszcz View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denszcz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 12:44pm
Medclinician
Sorry for abbreviating your name.
Denise
Denise
rehabnurse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rehabnurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 4:19pm
It's funny you posted this, FluMom, as I was considering posting it myself.

I am a regular over there at Allnurses, and they have LOTS of interesting news about the pandemic. If you want to do a search, Indigo Girl is VERY knowledgeable about pandemic flu subjects. She starts lots of threads for us there with interesting news.

The primary thing a LOT of nurses are very worried about is not having adequate PPE to protect ourselves. I saw a thread recently where a nurse was talking about having a suspected case of swine flu on her unit, and there was ONE N95 mask...and of course a doc took it. Docs aren't the ones doing direct care most of the day and night...very sad. Of course, I have nothing against a doctor protecting herself either, I just think EVERY direct care nurse, doctor, nurse's aide, housekeepers, etc...we ALL need adequate gowns, gloves, masks, etc.

I can tell you a million times where I've taken care of patients who had droplet precautions and contact precautions, and I needed a gown, gloves, and a mask...and there were NONE. It's happened hundreds of times. Now, I'm no matyr. I will care for people as long as I have means to protect myself.

Of course, when the "big one" does hit, so to speak, hospitals will be overwhelmed, especially the intensive care units. We've all seen the reports that state if the avian flu hits and people need vents, we may very well not have enough ventilators for everybody. Scary stuff. This is one very good reason why I want to be prepared for a very extended stay at home, caring for my loved ones as well as I can without having to go to a hospital.

Again, thanks flumom for posting this. I posted a comment similar to this on the swine flu site. I apologize if my post reads a bit funny, but I have a terrible migraine today, and I am in some serious pain from my lupus. Ouch, ouch, ouch I hurt everywhere.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rehabnurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by medclinician medclinician wrote:

Here is one that says yes. The people I have spoken to in Veterans and also in Virginia have a fairly simple scenario for those of us who will be on the disaster teams. We cannot get vaccine or even shots for our families. It is a one person life or death thing, and we will be injected with "every thing they have got" before going into the infected areas. Nurses will be like gold in a Pandemic. With our years of medical training and hands on experience of treating and helping patients- in some instances this is superior to those who give the orders versus those who actually have to have skill to carry them out.

Yes, a lot of people will be huddle with their families, and not a lot of us will be out their in the wastelands with people crying out, dying, suffering, and looking for some kind of hope, compassion. During the outbreaks in Nigeria nurses and doctors were running down the road. One doctor who thought he was somehow divinely protected died when he went to investigate the outbreak.

Most masks and protective gear are not that effective. It is truly odd to be asked to wash your hands if the disease cannot be transferred by handling objects as well as bed clothes and other articles. Of course it can. During the plague, they burnt not only the people, but everything they had touched, their bedclothes, and still from 30%-50% died.

As a nurse on and off for almost 30 years I have seen a lot. Two of my best friends died from treating HIV patients. Two girls, nurses, I dearly loved thought they could touch patients and would not get it. One died a horrible death in a basement in San Francisco, treated like an animal, her sister giving her food and collecting clothes to be burned through a slot in the door. Fear.

We ate Thanksgiving dinner one year, our whole family with my cousin who has had HIV for 12 years and he made the dinner. I guess that proved the point for some. It did not prove it for my friends who died.

One stuck herself with a needle by accident but the other never was stuck - may have just got it from a kiss and bad teeth.

We don't, I don't condemn those during the Pandemic who are not willing to risk their lives to help others. We don't condemn the police who will not go out in riots where they would be killled, nor .gov which will go down into safe houses and be washed and scrubbed like those in Andromeda Strain.

I lost another helper last night and I am sad today. She and her family think there is no real risk and it is all one big fake thing being blown way out of proportion. In essence she thought a Survival Manual for most people wasn't necessary.

That one hurt deeply. I have poured my life blood into this, trying to get data out there.

Probably holing up will decrease the spread, but eventually everyone who is succeptable to it, will get it. They are working on a vaccine for what is going around "now." By the time they finish, the virus will have changed.. probably a lot.

So anybody here going out with me into the fields of destruction and baptism of fire? I wonder. Probably not very many.

Medclinician

Medclinician, I am also a  nurse who will be in the trenches. I'll be there as long as I'm needed. I love your words about "sometimes the ones who give the care are a bit mroe valuable than those who give the orders". Isn't that the truth a lot of the time? I think we've all had our share of training the up and coming docs who have no idea how to care for a critically ill patient and need a lot of help figuring out what to order, what meds to give, etc. I know a lot of people in my family have no clue whatsoever what nurses do for a living. I do everything from titrating iv's for a patient after open-heart surgery to helping bathe a patient.

Anyway, thanks for your valuable input, as always. I LOVE reading your posts! :) I may not always be able to comment, but I always read!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 6:36pm
I admire all nurses...they are a blessing from God. Thank you for what you do.

As my husband was slowly dying for 6 months I had a wonderful nurse who told me what to do and I did it. I became the 24/7 nurse for my husband and it was an honor. I know I could not do it for others during a pandemic since I am the only one left to raise my child.

Again thank you nurses because you are the ones who really know how to care for the sick and dying.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 7:07am
Originally posted by denszcz denszcz wrote:

Med
I worked ER and inpatient during the height of the HIV epidemic in NYC, never had a second thought about it.  Luckily never got a needle stick, I will not say it was because of skill.I feel sorry for your losses, it is terrible to lose a friend.  I am going out to see people now. I have been afflicted by many occupational illness through working with sick people and never gave it a second thought until I got exposed to something that was not so easy to treat.  The treatment caused me lots of problems but cured it. Since them I have held back more but never avoided a patient.  I am hoping I will do the same here. However, I no longer work in hospitals so it will be limited to the people who can make it to clinics and my friends and neighbors and family who need my help.
Denise

I deeply respect you as a fellow nurse, and you know how it is on a code- we are a team.  Just like a day care worker, a little known fact is that nurses get sick - a lot. And if you have done this for years- you, as I, have seen most everybody working in the hospital coughing or making a lot of trips to the bathroom.

And we are told to stay home, and then we are told ER is stacked and ICU is full, and they are diverting and closing down the Trauma or a few years ago we were diverting to other states with some of the ER.  I truly believe some people are just caregivers. We don't do it to be noble. Had this one really angry HIV patient who was dying, out of his restraints (guess they don't do much restraints anymore-too medieval)  and trying to scratch the nurses with his fingernails. The guy obviously had neural involvement and his basic thinking was toast, as was his immune system, and it was heart rending that he had to go through the painfu process of dying he was going through- but crud-he was trying to kill us. Most of the people would not even go in there- especially security. He still had a heplock in so we could push and did something to bring him down. Faster than trying to inject him and wait. No time.  My friend Sharon, a nurse, was doing triples- and of course as on the airlines, everyone frowns and tells us- how scary that is for you all that we would work exhausted with the interns that were walking zombies on caffeine. Well, it is scarier if you have 50 patients and two nurses.  Anyone who has even done 13 (and we are not talking convalescent)- we are talking art lines which shouldn't even be on the floor- tons of piggy backs and g-tubes and everything that can plug up,  does- leaving you with a hallway of beeping unhappy IVs and other machines.

And then the orderlies and NAs call in and if you are lucky you might have one or two.  If the power goes out and you are in ICU and have people on respirators and RT is on stat call down in ER with somebody coding- and then you luck out and someone codes- who runs the code team... and while you are running the code team- who is watch the other very unstable patients. In the Pandemic we are going to have no temps, no back up, and 50% or less there. Its gonna be tough.

We in the medical profession are like law officers in the street who know what it is like inside. And like the girl on the grill at Wendy's - during a lunch rush- it gets crazy. When we are short staffed people make mistakes. Fortunately in my career I have never given anyone the wrong stuff or gotten in any nasty incidents.

No doubt, there will be some of us out there who definitely just go and don't think because we are needed. I haven't worked ICU for several years. But once you have done ER, you have done ER. And once you have triaged... you pretty much as in ACLS (even though they like to change that and BCLS) all the time.. to push this or that.-know what to do- not to shock a flatline.. etc. Like defib is defib not bring back the dead. This is not House or Grays Anatomy.  You think resorces, time, and who you can help and who you can't.

We are going to face the nastiest triage you have ever seen. Some of us are talking running a clinic out of an old building or whatever we can manage because they will shut down the hospitals. They are breeding grounds for the virus.

I for one, hope Tamiflu will work at all, at least long enough for us to take it, and maybe Relenza, and "some things they have"- and manage to cap, gown, and glove to deal with the sickies. We don't get bunny suits and this one is airborne. So we have masks that filer salt for protecting us against a virus. Supplies are going to be something else. It is going to be like working a weekend when the main pharmacy is closed. Only this time- there will be no pharmacy for the most part.. and they will just say - we are out.

Morphine- that's going to be a first out- all the RT type drugs for treating opportunistic stuff.. especially about 6 kinds..including Z-pak are going to be out fast.

This stuff can be intestinal. There goes your electrolytes, out goes your D5W and NS IV as everybody gets low fluid. The lab- to run the tests - well are you going to have the luxury of running a lot of panels and stuff on people who basically have the flu- and yet many have all kinds of other conditions. The diabetics, the RT disasters, nuero patients-

Well- triage will become military- much like putting soldiers back in the jungle to fight- fix the ones who are the least sick and the supplies will last the longest. The really bad ones- you just can't do it. Use up everything on one patient.

At Katrina we had those that nurses were ambu bagging- over days. The ones that are not that sick- are not that sick and should just stay home.

We aren't going to have the luxury of all the doctor pondering - I truly believe at that point we will pondering the last line - the wisdom to know the difference- and do the best we can.

Medclinician
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 9:17am
"We don't get bunny suits and this one is airborne" - Medclinician

AIRBOURNE?

Have i missed something?

Edit: Found what i missed. Ermm
"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 12:58am
I'm not a health care worker, but honestly I'd prefer that someone who is would get a vent first.  I know full well I might end up being the one that has to go without so a doctor or nurse can recover and keep working.  I don't think it would be fair to ask them to put their lives at risk to help me, and then not extend them the same when they're in need.  If they'll risk their lives to treat me while I'm contagious, I'll give up my ventilator and risk mine to save theirs.

Originally posted by setag setag wrote:

"We don't get bunny suits and this one is airborne" - Medclinician
AIRBOURNE?
Have i missed something?
Edit: Found what i missed. Ermm
denszcz View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denszcz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 7:30am
Medclinician
It is time to out myself. Everything you said about respecting me, please turn it around and know that I respect you in this way.  You are deeply dedicated and in no way did I mean to mislead you. 
I am a physician in the field of drug and alcohol addiction. I have ambued people, hung IV's and done CPR (including mouth to mouth back in the day) and have suffered work related infections due to my contact with homeless, drug and alcohol addicted people in NYC.

Nurses do ALL the direct care in the hospital and will be worth their weight in gold when this thing finally hits.  I have learned over the years that nurses take most of risks and provide most of the care in any healthcare setting. So I am so sorry I was not clearer but I am grateful beyond words that you would be so generous with me. 

I have bought ambu bags for myself and my EMT friend so we can help people who don't get a vent get through this. I am prepared to do what I can.  I know how to hang IV's and give CPR and change dressings but have nowhere near the skill level that nurses do.  

The peop[le giving the orders will not be of much use, I honestly agree with you on that issue. That is why I am trying to prepare in the ways that I can to be of real help to myself and the people around me, as such this community has been enormously helpful.
Kind regards and gratitude
Denise
Denise
Sierra779 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sierra779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 5:42pm
Can some one answer this for me?

My daughter is an ICU nurse that just got back from s. CA and Disneyland with her two little boys...

She is very angry with me because she say's that I'm making a big deal out of nothing..she said thousands die every year from flu, MERSA, etc. She laughed at me when I said I had just bought my n-95's and re-checked my preps...

I'm not kidding, she even hung up on me because I asked her why she has little care for this. It may NOT be the killer flu, but it just might be on a second round.  And what the heck is wrong for prepping for any disaster..

I'm hurt and shocked at her attitude.

I would have thought anyone in nursing would at LEAST recommend prepping..

Help me understand..

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 5:55pm
Sierra779, I believe many do not want to face the fact that there could be a "killer" pandemic ever. Especially a medical person. After going through cancer with my husband and his death there is a joke among the hospice people: "Do you know why they nail a coffin shut...so the oncologist can't get to the person for one more chemo treatment."

Many medical people are type A and they will not give up on a patient. Medical people are about life and keeping it going not death and the failure they believe it brings. Thank God we have these medical people. They keep many people alive!

Let up on your daughter...do preps for her for at least two weeks so if anything happens you have her back. You have to love her and her children even if she is a little hard headed...bet she takes after her MOM! LOL!
Sierra779 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sierra779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 6:14pm
Thanks FluMom...

I didn't even raise my voice...I just listened to her  rant..we  to are VERY familiar with cancer...she even helped with hospice care for my mom and dad..we lost every elder member of our family to cancer one a year...it was something I would never wish on another and it almost threw me into a depression I co uldn't escape...

She converted to Mormon, so I don't need to prep for her family...

She just doesn't like it if you  may have learned about something without her and I guess she ended up in a fight with her half-sister on vacation as well about her knowledge, really there was no need for her exploding the way she did...I'll chuck it off as carry-over I guess...

My feelings were hurt, now I'm just a wee confused and maybe a wee bit angry for her attitude that everyone is stupid but her....I've known many nurses and a couple of doctors as personal friends...maybe she's on overload and I shouldn't have answered the phone haha....I'll let her talk to the machine for the next day or two...

PS: I am probably too easy to get along with and my fault for letting her be a bully DH say's :)  DH and I have had ONE disagreement in 22 years...
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rehabnurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 9:11pm
Hi Sierra779,

While I can't answer you why your daughter is upset, I CAN answer about nurses recommending preparing.

I'm a critical care nurse, as well. While I am not working in that capacity currently due to cancer and other health problems, I DO keep up with many of my co-workers. I can tell you that of all the nurses I know, I am THE ONLY one who is a prepper. Most of the people I know just don't care. Why? I don't know. Now, maybe they're hiding their preps from me, just as I don't go into great detail about WHAT and how much I have on hand.

However, while we've all discussed current things, outbreaks, etc...I can say they all disagree with us "nutjobs" who insist  on "being prepared" for things such as a pandemic. Funny attitude for a nurse, a doctor, whatever, in my opinion, but maybe it's just my experience. Because I know nurses on that site that is posted above who ARE very into being prepared, not just for avian flu, or the next pandemic, but for all disasters.

Sorry you fought. I don't know what to say about that, but maybe she's just having a bad day or something? :/

Hang in there! :)
Sierra779 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sierra779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by rehabnurse rehabnurse wrote:

Hi Sierra779,

While I can't answer you why your daughter is upset, I CAN answer about nurses recommending preparing.

I'm a critical care nurse, as well. While I am not working in that capacity currently due to cancer and other health problems, I DO keep up with many of my co-workers. I can tell you that of all the nurses I know, I am THE ONLY one who is a prepper. Most of the people I know just don't care. Why? I don't know. Now, maybe they're hiding their preps from me, just as I don't go into great detail about WHAT and how much I have on hand.

However, while we've all discussed current things, outbreaks, etc...I can say they all disagree with us "nutjobs" who insist  on "being prepared" for things such as a pandemic. Funny attitude for a nurse, a doctor, whatever, in my opinion, but maybe it's just my experience. Because I know nurses on that site that is posted above who ARE very into being prepared, not just for avian flu, or the next pandemic, but for all disasters.

Sorry you fought. I don't know what to say about that, but maybe she's just having a bad day or something? :/

Hang in there! :)

Thank you very much!

What you say is making total sense to me! I get it now...I'm shocked but get it..I really thought the entire medical profession be it doctor or nurse WOULD want to prepare for the whatever that can happen...

You've opened my eyes, and I will NEVER discuss anything like this with her again I guess...WOW!

I feel better but also sad....

I pray you will  get well...I will pray for you..

I don't need anymore answers now...this really did open my eyes...

GOD Bless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic