Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Q: What if H5N1 mixes with H1N1?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q: What if H5N1 mixes with H1N1?
    Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:16pm
Q: What if H5N1 mixes with H1N1?
Virologist: If that happens, I will retire immediately and lock myself in the P3 lab

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2009/05/exclusive-meet.html

------excerpt--------

Q: Is it surprising how quickly H1N1 adapted?

Y.G.: All viruses, after interspecies transmission, will evolve fast. But why this H1N1 could become successful at efficient human-to-human transmission is still unknown. We have a knowledge gap about how influenza A viruses build up their pandemicity in humans. As swine H1N1 has being circulating in pigs since 1918, it has accumulated [many] differences from human H1N1 virus. So, for human beings, it looks like a novel subtype, as most human individuals lack immunity to this swine-like H1N1. This is one of the most important conditions for pandemic emergence. Whether the novel virus will develop into a more virulent strain--just like the Spanish flu did in the fall of 1918 to kill more people--we still don't have any idea.

Q: It depends on further mutations?

Y.G.: It depends on mutations and whether the virus further reassorts with other viruses--like H5N1. That could be a super nightmare for the whole world.

Q: You're talking about the Armageddon virus?

Y.G.: The chance is very, very low that these two viruses will mix together, but we cannot rule out the possibility. Now, H5N1 is in more than 60 countries. It's a panzootic, present everywhere except North America.

Q: If the nightmare comes true?

Y.G.: If that happens, I will retire immediately and lock myself in the P3 lab. H5N1 kills half the people it infects. Even if you inject yourself with a vaccine, it may be too late. Maybe in just a couple hours it takes your life.

---------------

I hope he's got some preps in that P3 lab!!
Pookey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 6:15am
I keep thinking that H5N1 has had the opportunity to mix with seasonal flu for years and has not.  I don't see the odds of it mixing with Mexican swine flu any greater than with seasonal flu.  Either way it would be bad.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 7:33am
Pure speculation of course, but it almost makes one wonder if H5N1 or another novel flu strain was also present in 1918, which is what gave h1n1 its virulence in the fall when it returned.    H1N1 seems to be very unstable, unlike H5N1.    I'm more inclined to think that H1N1 would pick up a couple genes from H5N1, as well as other flu viruses, instead of H5N1 mutating itself.   We could possibly see a more lethal H1N1 strain emerge from this.   Egypt has the right idea by slaughtering the pigs since they could be at ground zero.   
lastoneturnouttheli View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lastoneturnouttheli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 8:07am
CONNECT THE DOTS:

Who Director General Margaret Chan:

"One must not give H1N1 the opportunity to mix with other viruses. That is why we are on alert," she reportedly told the newspaper.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518780,00.html

Dr Richard Besser: Acting Director Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

Possibillity of HPH5N1 learning to transmit between people from AH1N1: "A critically important question"

http://wamu.org/programs/dr/09/05/04.php#24679

Reported on CNN Sunday May 3rd:

"On Saturday, the virus strain was found in a herd of swine in Alberta, Canada"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/03/swine.flu.react/index.html

From article published online by GRAIN on Sunday May 3rd:

"Pigs held near to chicken farms in Indonesia, for instance, are known to have high-levels of infection from H5N1, the deadly variant of bird flu.[9]"

http://www.grain.org/articles/?id=48

Cough, cough...excuse me.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 1:38pm
   And H5N1 is a long term infection in pigs producing no symptoms, which means unlike a person who carries the virus only while they're sick, pigs may well be carrying it from day one of the infection until they're slaughtered, giving H1N1 an even bigger window of opportunity to co-infect them. Compound that with the sheer numbers of pigs that may be infected, and it's no wonder the WHO and CDC are a little jittery.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic