Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Alert Level 6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alert Level 6
    Posted: May 18 2009 at 4:29am
Hi all! What does everyone think will happen when WHO declares a level 6 pandemic? Will the stocks crash? Will the masses start to panic and make their runs to buy supplies causing civil unrest? Martial law? or will things just continue as usual? I am just curios what everyone thinks as WHO will probably be raising the alert level to 6 any day now. My best,coyote
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Dr.Who View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 6:06am
Stocks will go down on the news but will not crash.

The news will have a field day.

The masses won't care.
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 6:17am
I doubt raising the Alert will cause a panic. If and when people see shelves thinning out it could trigger a panic to buy everything they can afford. This just happened with ammo. Try to buy ammunition of any type and you'll see it's just about all sold out everywhere in the US. For example: Click just about any link at Ammobank and it's sold out. Ammobank

Overall if this virus gets full blown and people are sick on every block, they will try to isolate themselves. Cities looking more like ghost towns. Isolation can only work until your food and necessities run out. That's also when things can get nasty. Martial law is a possibility if enough people panic and raid stores and or homes.
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 6:29am
I have to agree that the initial reaction will be a bit of a hiccup.  Depending on how the media handles things will be how things shift from there.  So far there have been an increased amount of news articles to prepare your home, stock food, etc.  However, if you get one yahoo reporter that starts saying the shelves are empty at Costco, look out!
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 7:28am
I say it will crash.  When this whole thing started in the last week of April, I happened to be in the stock market during that time, (AIG & Citi), and so I was already watching things closely. and the market did in fact start to crash when when went to phase 5.  I believe we had 3 down days in a row of around 100 - 200  point losses.   I'll never forget it.  Then after the three or four days of the market tanking, the CDC announced out of the blue that the virus was officially mild and the market exploded upward with the good news.   I was upset that I missed the CDC-run. 

noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 8:52am
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 9:06am
I really doubt anything will occur until you really start to see the dead being pulled out of houses.  Just an alert will catch someone's eye for a day, then forget it.

A family sick will stay home and may all die off within days and no one will even know it happened.  If you call a doctor, they will say treat it just like any normal flu, some will live, some will die.
LisaP View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 9:58am
I'm in the Boston area - I agree it will be a hiccup and the CDC, govt., media will backpedal so fast - it will cause a flurry of media attention and people will shrug it off until they start closing down schools en masse. Then people will start whining that nobody is around to watch their kids . . . It will take many deaths before people will finally get scared but until then they'll go over the cliff with the rest of the sheep.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong.
spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 10:03am
When you see the G-men walking the streets going door to door is when the panic will start.  Wall street does not care what happens on our street.  They are going to remain stable as long as there is capital, regardless of the number of dead or infected.  If anything, stocks will go up and continue to go up as long as there is someone left alive to run things.  As for me, I am putting a Quarantine bio-hazard tag on my door to keep people away as well as a list of number infected or dead in my household.  This will be a diversion of course, I just went through my chemical gear and we will survive.  I have 4 gas mask canisters, M295 de-con kits and M-9 chemical detection tape.  I have 4 survival suits and 4 rubber over boots.  It will be enough for one person to live outside in a hazardous chemical enviroment for several months , should one need to look for food.  I will have 4 shuffle boxes, 2 with bleach and 2 with water.  These suits work in bio-hazard enviroments too.  When the survivors die, I will be conduction investigations...  The Fear is Here.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:39am
Nations urge WHO to change swine flu assessment
By FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press Writers Frank Jordans, Associated Press Writers 1 hr 10 mins ago

GENEVA – China, Britain, Japan and other countries urged the World Health Organization on Monday to be very cautious about declaring the arrival of a swine flu pandemic, fearing that a premature announcement could cause worldwide panic and confusion. WHO bent to their wishes.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Annie View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 12:07pm
Okay Coyote, this last post of yours has convenienced me to finish up shopping this evening instead of waiting until early in the morning. If WHO were to raise the level to six, I do believe there will be excessive traffic at the stores. I do not believe there will be a "run" until fall when folks start to get sick and a community member dies. Annie
Dense populations are going to be hit very hard by this pestiferousness little (flu virus) monster. "Technologist"
Stock 3 months water, food, weapon/ammo, meds, supplies, and some money at home.
Sara123 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 9:00pm
Here is what I have observed about American society and it's survival abiltity. I think if the US was given warning that all the cities were about to be hit by nukes; only half of the people would flee for the country. The rest would not believe it or care. Same with a disease. Half will not care.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 6:11pm
This is a shopper thing- but I noticed at Wall Mart I was picking up Banquet frozen dinners for 88 cent (in WV) and the canned veggies were going up by 30% and a lot of the canned food.
I thought this was significant. You can't prep frozen dinners. You can prep canned stuff.  The Michelena  little dinners dropped to a buck so I loaded up, and perishable stuff is not that expensive. Yea... not the shopper's channel, but people are paying attention to the flu stuff as well as the food producers. A lot of the good water was sacked- I only drink the best spring water- not the fake tap filtered water which God knows how they call it spring water. I called the local bottler a guy told me they just took tap water and ran it through filters and added a pinch of germ killer. My spring water I called the bottle in Tennessee, and grilled the, and the water is good. I won't brand drop here- you all know the top spring waters probably. A lot of Pierrer is not bottled in France. Rice and beans were pricey- Jasmine rice especially.

Point: people are prepping - stealth prepping.

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Sara123 Sara123 wrote:

Here is what I have observed about American society and it's survival abiltity. I think if the US was given warning that all the cities were about to be hit by nukes; only half of the people would flee for the country. The rest would not believe it or care. Same with a disease. Half will not care.

based on a little info - we were discussing this with psyche people and in my writing I have groups. We wont go deep- but - the partiers or looters - a chunkc of people - this includes the an awfully quiet group who find a quiet dark place with another person and play doctor for a very long time. You will have the house cleaners, vaccumers and work in the garden group, or the form a circle and talk about various recipes for jello salad. In the partiers you will have the drinkers who either become one of the playing doctor group only a lot louder and may pass out in the middle- there will be a crowd in the street waiting to see the rockets arrive and while be turned into etched black stains on brick walls after the fire ball hits.

You will have the screamers and looters, who will either be experience withdrawal having taken all their drugs or looters thinking they have won the nuclear lottery filling up shopping baskets who will be parked beside their charred skeletons equally charred.

The infrastructure will all be frowning, talking in monosyablles and reading from binders and and directing jeep and tank traffic while being vaccinated, and grouping to be shipped out to undisclosed location except to the shippers.

You will have grim faced preppers yet with a quiet resolution that they are ready, and pouring through checklists and yelling at their kids who will not have a clue what is going on.  The younger ones. Most of the older ones will be grieving the loss of Nintendo or their pocket game machines. Teen females and pre-teen girls will be trying to rescue their plactic baggie container of cute little bubble toys and other young crucial survval items.

TPTB will be getting shot up with vaccines and anti-virals, saying goodbye to families (the hard core ones) and  jumping into troop carriers and into troop carrier planes.

Some of us will be none of the above, sitting in our cave somewhere, and writing.

Medclinicin
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 6:44pm
I don't expect much of a reaction. A few more folks will run out and buy masks and sanitizer then it'll die down again. Honestly, if someone just lost their job, or the bank is coming to take their house tomorrow, this is going to be pretty far down on the list.
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 6:48pm
Alert 6 will not cause a blink from 90 percent of the people. People dying by the hundreds and thousands will cause a panic...panic food buying, water buying, and everything else people think they need.

People dying by the hundreds and thousands then and only then will people pay attention.
vmd View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 9:56pm
I don't think people have any sense of context. It's at a 5 now and nothing much is happening, as far as they're concerned. So, what will a 6 mean? Maybe if there was a level 10 pamdemic then folks could understand. I don't think people will get it until those emergency powers are used by the government to forcibly quarantine them and their neighbors. And they're left to live on(if they live) thse dried up wafer things they drop from planes for starving Africans.
7laws View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7laws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 10:22pm
Very little will happen in my opinion. Only an increase in deaths will catch attention. To let you know my wife went to LA when it was starting there and got sick with the flu. We are positive it was the swine flu. It was mild for her, her friend had it bad and I hardly felt a thing and we are young and healthy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic