Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

When your doctor refuses to test for Swine Flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When your doctor refuses to test for Swine Flu
    Posted: May 19 2009 at 5:10am
It is rather simple really. We have not one, but several strains of flu, and we have a resistant medical establishment to testing for it. Our family found very curtly, that Swine Flu is not allowed in our home state. Since we were told over the phone to come in for a "swab" since most of the family and most of our clients have it- we were unprepared for the curt doctors note- I do not believe this patient is showing significant symptoms.

Symptoms were - loose stool, almost vomiting (my mother in law vomited for 3 days and was deathly ill and ran a fever), severe headaches, bones aches, sore throat, low grade cough, and extremely bad abdominal cramps. Miserable.

We wanted to know if we had it. We had been exposed to a person who likely had it in San Antonio Texas and whose visit infected our whole family.

There will be no positives in our state. I doubt at a level 6 Pandemic there will be positives. My sister-in-law and her beau packed up all their preps and have headed into the West Virginia wilderness. It is a "vacation", but one does wonder.

Two days ago I read in Florida the hospitals were now decreasing testing because "they are seeing less and less cases."

There will be no cases here. Because - of the pork industry. A single case would deal a whopper blow with a boycott Russia and China and other countries (Japan). One health care authority told me - we aren't going to count cases any more per se in the general population. We have a new method. We will randomly ask sample people (in uninfected areas) if you have symptoms.

I said- well (in ER at the time) what would I need to get a swab?  I was told quote from triage "about 104 temperature and symptoms of mental impairment."

So I think Alaska, and the two other states will stay caseless. You can't count what you don't test. Am I wrong?

Can we be surrounded by states that are positive, and island of security from Swine Flu when half my friends have some kind of 'flu'- especially children.

The press is a wasteland. Time did a token article- we have more excitement about breweries and car shows than a Pandemic that could wipe out 1/3 of the populations.

We hear over and over - yes we are deeply concerning and preparing. Testing would be good. How many tests have been done?

Doctors are under pressure not to report. This is supposed to be a non-serious annoying flu which poses no real health danger.

Had considered setting up an Internet hotline of people who have the flu and would like to report. But one problem. They know they have the flu, their body knows they have the flu, but the doctors may know.

I asked about isolation. Since I could be a carrier. I was told well you are living at home and those there are already infected. 22 people came through yesterday. We live in a small mansion (the mini-old old like haunted spooky type place). I have nicknamed it the Amityville house- because I think we do have a resident haunt. But that is another story. She mostly swipes stuff, moves stuff to other places, and makes a lot of racket in the attic. She died in the bed I sleep in. Now there is a happy thought.

The cat wants no part of certain parts of the house, especially at 2 am. but

people are still flat ill but heck- with all the yummy stuff in the air and water- whose to know what is flu and what is poison.

So-as in India (before they finally broke down and out of countless millions - admitted - we have a case confirmed- no time soon for here.

One client I said- you know I have the flu- you really should stay away - he said quote "no problem guy- my whole family has had it for 3 weeks- I'm not worried."

That did make me feel better.

Well, its like this. This is like a Stephen King thing - Sometimes they come back. This one come and then seems to get better and then you get it again a little fiercer. I have been through 4 times of fiercer.

What can the doctors do? Well, honestly I was hoping for Tamiflu. It still is supposed to work. Maybe I'm not rich enough. Maybe if I had a 'doctor for the stars' that will give you anthing no matter what you have or don't- I could have been treated and now be on the road to recovery.

So Almost Heaven- another day in paradise.  What can you do when your doctor refuses to test for Swine Flu? Figures like Blondie said - There are no accidents in a perfect world

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 5:18am
Sara123 I am going to quote you here because I think it is significant.

CDC estimates we have around 100k infections in the US; two hundred - mostly ages 5-18 with hospital care (intensive and non-intensive care)- and six deaths so far. The fear is that everything could spin out of control given we have done little in our country to control the infection on the hope it is not serious. So far, it is not rendering serious complications - it is mostly not servere. Don't worry be happy.

With 100,000 cases in the United States what are the odds we have none.

Medclinician
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 5:21am
Medclinian,I have asked for several Swine Flu test,and I was told to just forget,because we did not have the test and there are no plans to get the test. I live in the same state that you do. Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:59am

We have the  'intestinal shedding'  nausea ...tiredness...headachy here in NY...

no eating out, can't blame it on Restaurants.

This is how quickly it spreads...they know it and no need to test as ...everyone...will have it.

This first wave is not real deadly...it's ok not to test.  no need for people to realize how

fast it spreads.   So now we all know how easy it would be to get a more virulent form

if/when it comes back from north and south east asia where flus are swirling all year

round.

At least we are getting good at ...    reading them  :)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 9:14am
This is why it's going through the schools so fast...and why they were scrubbing them all down...

Dr. Wenzel said he had urged his Mexican colleagues to test the stools for the presence of the swine virus, named A(H1N1). "If the A(H1N1) virus goes from person to person and there is virus in the stool, infection control will be much more difficult," particularly if it spreads in poor countries, he said.

The doctor said he had also urged his Mexican colleagues to perform tests to determine whether some people without symptoms still carried the virus.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

Medclinian,I have asked for several Swine Flu test,and I was told to just forget,because we did not have the test and there are no plans to get the test. I live in the same state that you do. Johnray1

Johnray- thanks for responding.. your being a doctor and at the center of it - I can't change the system.. we will just live with the system.. Senator Byrd is having problems- undisclosed facility of course. Virginia sent me the doc I posted but it doesn't cover Swine but is a good source for what the team is thinking in terms of response. We are gearing up for mental support response. They advised I put CERT up- http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/ and I hope to have level 3.

I am going to mention the C word. No not Cancer - but Vitamin C. That's I will do - mention it. Fish around. Friends are sending me a case of crystalline Vitamin when TAKEN AS DIRECTED - (you may want buffered because tummies very). Vitamin C can help boost your immunie system as well as other thing things.

So, my friends and people I care about have it or have sent me bottles of it.

There has been some chatter from Charleston as to darker elements with not nice intentions towards preppers - so you are on sync with this.

JohnRay - you will probably be SIP- but as several of us Nusse and responders have noted we will be out in the trenches. If so.. see you there.

Medclinician

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Mary08 Mary08 wrote:

This is why it's going through the schools so fast...and why they were scrubbing them all down...

Dr. Wenzel said he had urged his Mexican colleagues to test the stools for the presence of the swine virus, named A(H1N1). "If the A(H1N1) virus goes from person to person and there is virus in the stool, infection control will be much more difficult," particularly if it spreads in poor countries, he said.

sneaky sneaky- don't be grossed out everyone - be medical like some of us- they did a stool on me,.. so that's the way they checked it.. they did check..

Mary when do we get to start having fun in the summer and leaving the reaper until November- not me a I guess.. stuff to write. 

Albert..this is not a carrot- but you've had a pretty good forum here.. you want to do that New York radio thing. you ready to get out there again.. I would suggest we do it in person.. because of the chemistry.. that is an invitation.. I don't how you are on radio.. I can hold my own- but looks like you got a pretty active site and it might get pretty wild on here if we do that.. I am calling about it to Seattle now- that is our contact.

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 10:01am

The virus is spreading so widely, Schuchat said, that soon the U.S. will be unable to count individual cases.

in the week ending May 2, the most recent week in the CDC data.

That week, about 13% of flu tests were positive for flu:

• 33% of positive tests were either confirmed or probable type A H1N1 swine flu.
  • 18% of positive tests were seasonal type A H1N1 virus.
  • 16% of positive tests were seasonal type A H3N2 virus.
  • 16% of positive tests were type A viruses not further subtyped.
  • 17% of positive tests were type B flu bugs.

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 10:48am
Medclinian,I will be in the trenches working,unless I go down with Virus myself.---Yes, I am aware of the darker elements in this area and their thoughts on preppers,but there are always problems to over come and this will just be another problem to over come.If I can get home before it gets bad,I will go home and shelter in place,but if I have already been repeatedly exposed and/or already infected,I will not take it home to my family. It will be an interesting time.My family could even get it before I do,so no one knows for sure what we will be doing.Johnray1 
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 10:55am
Medclinian,good luck to you and yours.Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

Medclinian,good luck to you and yours.Johnray1

You too Johnray. It is good to be here and it is growing so fast.

Medclinician
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by medclinician medclinician wrote:

.....and it is growing so fast.

Medclinician

Neighbors on both sides of me have sick children at home as of today. Upper respiratory...sore throats.
I've had 2 neighbors pass away within the last  month, and another was in the hospital for 10 days with swine flu symptoms.  His wife was diagnosed with the flu and is recuperating.

I think the swine flu is very prevalent in my community now.
I talked to a woman I met shopping  yesterday. She said everyone in her office is ill and sneezing and coughing, but still coming to work. She thinks it is the swine flu.
She said she is grateful not one of her relatives is ill.
I went out to buy gutters to run rainwater from my roof into my swimming pool, in the event the power goes out for an extended period this fall. Got bleach and a drip water filter.

The local news touches on the swine flu in NYC. And also lists what is passing around here locally.....no mention of flu locally .....The clinics are unusually busy, but it's just strep throat, respiratory virus and a stomach virus.
We have one private school closed in the county for disinfecting.

Unhappy

Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:42pm
I read today that the CDC is overwhelmed with tests for swine flu & can't process all of them.

This website talks about how overwhelmed the CDC is.  It is a different article than the one I read this morning.  http://www.naturalnews.com/026179.html

"CDC labs are inadequate testing facilities that are utterly overwhelmed with too many influenza samples to test. Thus, the reason why official CDC "confirmed" H1N1 death numbers are so low is simply because the CDC laboratories can't test very many flu samples in the first place."

Here's a google map of H1N1 outbreaks.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 10:18pm
Two words  GRADUATION CEROMONY avoid them. I went Thurs. to a auditorium filled with thousands of people. By Sunday, I was so tired I could not get out of bed. Weak tired. Aches in my legs and lower body half, runny nose, slight cough. I use meds for ADHD to stay awake that most people do not have access to, and I still fell  asleep.

I started the vitamin C regime yesterday, taking ten thousand mg every hour, until I got sick. Today, I am about half as tired, half as achy no sore throat, no runny nose. I heard this works because it creates such a acidic condition in your blood the virus can not survive.

I have no idea what I have, but having had influenza before that is sure what it feels like.

Here I am the one everyone in the family laughs at, because I carry hand sanitizers and prep and I catch it. I had just sat down in the auditorium and some guy went nuts coughing.  Had jumping five hundred rows to get away from him not been instantly fatal, I may have given it a whirl. Of course my son with lupus was with me also, and my son who only has  part of a lung, I just love people who go out sick.

My daughter works for a huge corporate bank, this is their pandemic plan, "dont leave your desk under any circumstances, if you must use the bathroom your Dr. must send a note to our corporate office in NYC to be approved"  "While in training  missing a day will result in your termination, even if you do have a Dr. excuse, they do not recognize them. "

With all the people out of work, I guess no one is going to risk their job by going to the bathroom to wash their hands or call in sick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic