Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Living with people in denial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinijocaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Living with people in denial
    Posted: June 04 2009 at 7:05pm
Having a hard time lately.  This flu is consuming my thoughts.  I'm reading The Great Influenza .
I check websites many times a day to stay current.  I go to sleep thinking about it and wake up thinking about it.

I have no one to talk about it with.  My very good friend started in on the bible when I brought up my concerns.  My husband is completely oblivious to any danger.  I told him I will be spending more money than usual to start stocking up, he didn't complain but seems to not care about it or have any concern (even for our children, and this is a man who really loves his kids)

I brought it up to two co-workers, casually, and the idea that it's any more than a normal flu popped right up.  My sister laughed when she saw that I was reading The Great Influenza.  She told her friend that I always try to scare people into stuff.

One co-worker kind of listened with interest, saw a show on prepping and asked me if I'd heard about it.  I told her I was doing some basic prepping, and she agreed that was a good idea and started herself.  I can tell she is uncomfortable discussing the potential threat.

Like all of you, I am terribly concerned, get teary-eyed when I see happy kids playing on a playground, I let my mind wander and picture what could happen, I try to picture the worst in my house-how will we handle it? 

Anybody else have no one to talk with face-to-face about this?  I can't believe people are so in the dark about all this.
Morris View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 7:20pm
My family members who live all over the United States and my friends at work reacted the same way a couple years ago when I began to share with them about the avian flu and the importance of prepping.  I emailed them several times articles and this web-site so that maybe they would begin to read the news articles and comments posted.  I periodically sent them emails about prepping.  I sent them information about the 1918 pandemic which most had no clue about what happened.     Guess What?  Some actually began to read this site and the news articles.  Then...when Swine Flu appears and it hit the news they began to take it much more seriously.  My friends at work and family members are now freely talking about it all and sharing with me that they too are prepping.   We aren't panicking, just staying aware and preparing.     
noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 7:54pm
Suzi1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 8:31pm
I have been forbidden to discuss it, avian and now swine, in the presence of certain members of the extended family. I get really depressed sometimes.
noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 8:37pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Tinijocaro Tinijocaro wrote:

I have no one to talk about it with.  My very good friend started in on the bible when I brought up my concerns.  My husband is completely oblivious to any danger.  I told him I will be spending more money than usual to start stocking up, he didn't complain but seems to not care about it or have any concern (even for our children, and this is a man who really loves his kids)

I got totally cut off from my sister on this one in California. She just didn't want to hear about it. To quote her "There is nothing I can do about it, so why tell me. I don't want to know."

End of relationship with my sister. Ouch.

I have lost at least 4 friends - some of them long time friends over this. They are totally unprepared, will probably die in the Pandemic, and they are simply in total denial.  One friend, well the press says its not that bad so I am not going to worry about it.

You can't live with them- I guess unles you physically living with them. My wife is was a total skeptic and thought it was nothing- but now Skye possibly has it after daddy possibly got it- at least that part has changed.

I know people in the hospital over many patients that simply think it is overblown and ridiculous. At the same time- without coughing people everywhere- we are trying to figure out where we may have gotten it.

A lot of people laughed at Noah's boat too. Go figure.

Medclinician
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:47pm
Its a bit like being Sarah Connor in the Terminator - you know what you know but everyone else just either doesn't get it or thinks your nuts.

You DO NOT need other people's approval - you can't save other people - SAVE YOURSELF.

I told everyone the Stock market was going into the biggest global crash in history and it would cause a Depression.

The crash was in 2008 - the worst in history and the depression is still on its way.

Very few listened to me - even less believed me - and now I have been proved right people resent my vision.

The H1N1 is not the real bomb - the H5N1 is - this H1N1 is a dress rehearsal and its interesting to see people wake up to this threat on the news.

By comparison the H5N1 is not even in the same league with this swine flu.

Its interesting that in 1918 there was the Spanish flu - and now we have the M e x i c a n f l u  .

To be a Ring bearer is to be alone Frodo. We are the ring bearers - we have the understanding the others do not.

Be strong and prepare
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 11:35pm
Tinijocaro...do what I did. Prep enough to where YOU are comfortable that your family is safe. I don't talk about it but I have friends that use to laugh at me now they send me emails from the Red Cross telling people to prep. Shoe is now on the other foot.

Don't worry just prep and you will feel better and not worry. I just have KI to purchase in case the nut case in N. Korea gets really nutty. I am as ready as I can be and now I only have to figure out WHEN to SIP.

You have all summer you can do it.
mercurymom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercurymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 12:52am
Oh gosh, I understand. My kids kinda listen to me, and then go about their business. Everyone else thinks I'm crazy or tries to change the subject. My friends think I'm "over-reacting". 

My husband is the only one that believes me on this.
There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings. ~ Dorothy Thompson
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 3:54am

My best friend blew me off a couple of years ago with H5N1, I was so hurt by some of her comments that followed in the few months I shut down talking to her. Frankly I was glad we lived about 20 miles apart.  I do not want anyone coming to me for preps. I do have some extra rice and maybe beans, to give away anonymously,but those are for my neighbors or extended close by family- because I figure they would be the folks to band together with for more safety if needed.  I know my heart and would have a hard time turning people away empty handed, esp my bff.  

Hmmm.....Guess who called me when the swine took off.....Yes, my best friend, wanted to know what to prep and if I got any early info. to call her.

Hang in there.  I promise there are alot of average, normal people on this site who care about their community and especially there family.  My logic was if God is telling me in some way to prep ( Love the "it wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark" reference )   and I DON'T then  I have to live with seeing my children go hungry and be miserable.  I cannot do this.  I am not telling you to be deceitful but your hubby may get annoyed with your prepping, my hubby was ok for about 2 wks worth prepped- he acted like it would last months, I knew better..... So I put things away---shhhhh.   If  I am wrong- the food bank will get alot just before expiring. 
People lived differently 75 yrs ago they were so self reliant, I concentrate on that fact,  and how everyone now days stops at the grocery every other day, i am just as guilty.   Just think of how incompetent people are now days to live like they did 75 yrs ago, yes there are some like us that are stacking the odds in our favor.

You are not crazy. Hang in there. You may go through different phases.  Thinking your crazy, denial etc. many of us has.    It is just a gamble that I will never take with my kids lives.  I don't talk to anyone about it anymore, unless I am very vague and to total strangers.  Maybe nothing will happen I hope not, but maybe teaching my oldest how to garden, can etc. has a message or meaning that will serve her well someday, maybe that is the reason I have been moved to do this.  I trust in the good Lord, but even He has the ants prep, it is an instinct to prepare even if just for the winter.  If you don't believe ( I am sorry for you) then going on darwinism thought process, then we must have some excellent traits and inturn so do our kids that will more than likely survive.  So however you believe or don't believe there is rationale for prepping.   Much love and support, vent here if you need.  Hoosiermom
Cosmo View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 9:00am
I don't really care to tell anyone about my flu preps and I don't try to talk anyone into prepping for themselves. My extended family knows I have preps but when the subject comes up I just say it's for hurricane session. Last year we got hit by hurricane Ike and our neighborhood was without power for two weeks. It's not unusual for people around here to have supplies to get through hurricanes.

All of my friends are college educated and have access to the internet. I don't feel the need to look like a paranoid loon and try and get them to see the light. Maybe that sounds selfish but I don't think that's my responsibility.
doomsmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 9:03am
I also have problems with family.  My kids think their mother is totally crazy.  Oh well, they'll just have to apologize when they come begging for food when TSHTF.  Son in law said I'm paranoid.  He'll really have to apologize or go hungry.  I feel like HoosierMom.  I think we have a survival instinct and I have been moved to prepare.  One way or the other, time will tell.
therese View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 9:58am
I am just throwing this out for your review.  I have issues with anxiety, and as such I know that I am more prone to worry than most.  I worry about a lot of things big and small and I try different ways to manage it, with varying success.  I know this sounds radical, but I would encourage you to STOP reading "The Great Influenza".  It has a lot of information, but the downside is that it is really frightening.  I would encourage you to see what you have done to prep, try to feel good about that, and then connect here with others who also want to prep.  At some time or another all of us here have felt that fear, and it's exacerbated by the mocking and indifference we get from friends and family, but most of us here have learned to let go.  Just concentrate on living each day NOW.  You can get so consumed with prepping that you forget to just make the most of each day now.  The second wave may come, or not.  It may come and be harsh, or not.  It's hard because the truth is we just don't know, and that lack of control is hard to live with.   It's good that you are here to vent your anxiety and frustration, you in turn will help others as well.  I have let go of trying to talk to friends and family in depth.  I sent an email when this H5N1 hit and no one really cares.  I bless them and move on with my own preparations.  What more can we do?  Take care and consider putting the book down, at least for a bit.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 2:08pm
HoosierMom...my sister was like your bff she laughed at me and then when H1N1 got serious and "experts" said this fall could be deadly...she called. I told her what to put in and I am sure she did not get enough for 5 adults but she is 1,000 miles away and won't be looking to me to cover her butt.

My hubby was in "De Nile" and then we got into politics and got informed things could get bad. He quit and put in a bank of cabinets in the basement so I could keep things in order.

I just got "The Great Influenza" but I am totally prepped as I can be so it won't freak me out. I am looking for insight because I truly believe we can learn from the past.
Tinijocaro View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinijocaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 2:26pm
Thank you to everyone who replied.  To Therese, I am just now (last week) starting to prep and that gives me the most worry-I feel like I am behind and do not have unlimited funds to go hog wild.  I actually am enjoying the book, too much to put it down. but the fact that no one in my daily life wants to discuss it and plan with me is what really gets me down.  i am trying to live each day, not put my children off when they want to show me something or do something spontaneous.  It's good advice.  Thanks!

Originally posted by therese therese wrote:

I am just throwing this out for your review.  I have issues with anxiety, and as such I know that I am more prone to worry than most.  I worry about a lot of things big and small and I try different ways to manage it, with varying success.  I know this sounds radical, but I would encourage you to STOP reading "The Great Influenza".  It has a lot of information, but the downside is that it is really frightening.  I would encourage you to see what you have done to prep, try to feel good about that, and then connect here with others who also want to prep.  At some time or another all of us here have felt that fear, and it's exacerbated by the mocking and indifference we get from friends and family, but most of us here have learned to let go.  Just concentrate on living each day NOW.  You can get so consumed with prepping that you forget to just make the most of each day now.  The second wave may come, or not.  It may come and be harsh, or not.  It's hard because the truth is we just don't know, and that lack of control is hard to live with.   It's good that you are here to vent your anxiety and frustration, you in turn will help others as well.  I have let go of trying to talk to friends and family in depth.  I sent an email when this H5N1 hit and no one really cares.  I bless them and move on with my own preparations.  What more can we do?  Take care and consider putting the book down, at least for a bit.
Suzi1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 3:15pm
Start with dried beans and rice. About 100 lbs per person. Also 2 or 3 gal of oil per person. Vacume seal the dry stuff. Also iodized salt. This will be a cheap way to get a lot of calories. This will ensure no one will starve. Once you get this you can work backward to things you would enjoy eating.
Sara123 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 7:06pm
Good grief! Don't tell them about anything until you are fairly certain there is really a death problem! Give them the hard evidence and insist they get a move on it.

I just prep for my two sisters - the airheads! And my husband...only wants good news in life! Fun raising kids with the fellow! LOL   
rehabnurse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rehabnurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 7:47pm
I have the same problem, my friend. I live with my folks, because of cancer, I cannot work and thus need the help of my family. My parents think I'm nuts, for the little they actually SEE that I have prepped.

However, I've gotten over that a bit. I used to be really upset by their mean/nasty comments. I ignore it now. I do prep for them, and I'm working on teaching my kids.

My son just brought home a little story he wrote in school (he's 6). It was a list of things to "Prepare for an Emergency". He knows more about what 90% (more?) of the population at large knows. He listed specific foods, radios, etc.

At the end? The very last thing on his list? "Be very brave".  Mama's heart just melted. :)
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercurymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 12:09pm
Awww, that's so sweet, rehabnurse. My youngest are 5 and 3, and they say the cutest things, too! That's great that you're teaching your kids.
There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings. ~ Dorothy Thompson
Tinijocaro View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinijocaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 6:19pm
Well, my husband is beginning to believe, at least that swine flu exists.  Our son most likely has it-he's 13 and the health dept will be picking up his nasal swab from the pediatricians office tomorrow to test for swine flu.  He was positive for influenza A.  I can't imagine where the heck he got it.  They did have a big 8th grade dance Friday night and a picnic that day.  Ihad a hunch this AM that it could be swine flu-we'll find out in a couple days.
therese View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 7:23pm
Well that should make him sit up and listen.  Keep us posted on the status of your son.  Take care.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 7:55pm

I've finally got my 81 yr old father on board. When this first broke I dusted off my preps and got organized. I tried convincing him this was serious and we needed to lay in preps for him. At first he would buy one extra item,then we'd argue, finally I told him just wheel the cart and I filled it to the brim. He did'nt say a word. I wanted him to come to my house if it got bad,but he said he would rather be alone.  As a loner myself I could understand that but as a daughter it hurt a bit.  Now all he does is *&^$#$ about the lack of info on TV. He knows they are in over their heads.

tropicalbreeze View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropicalbreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 9:20pm
I know this may sound bad, but it is good to know that I am not alone in feeling no one cares about what's going on with the swine flu.  I too have no one to discuss any of this.  My family listens, but you can tell that is where it ends.  No one cares to know how many cases are developing in the states or the world.  They say , oh this is just another  type of  influenza like the seasonal one . I have been actually told, I would not worry if I were you,.    The only person who seems to grasp what is happening is my 24 year old but it scares her when I start to talk about preparing

The other day I read, that the Who is closer to considering raising the level to 6 if the virus continues to spread to more countries and it is.  On friday , they decided that  instead of giving updates daily on the counts, they are now starting to report the total count for the week on  fridays only.  
tropical Breeze   
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercurymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:14pm
tropicalbreeze, I understand. My 19 yr old understands, and listens, but still doesn't have a clue about prepping or taking precautions. She has some hand sanitizer, and that's about it, but she used it BEFORE the flu was coming around. I guess she just figures "mommy" will take care of all the prepping, and if it really gets that bad (which it won't, mom is just overcautious or overexagerating), she can always come back home again, and I'll have everything for her. She won't end up doing it, though, she is stubborn....she'd try and stick it out on her own, first. Confused

It is getting closer to a 6. Even though many of us don't have people to confide to in IRL, we have each other here, and on swineflu.org. We may not all see 'eye to eye' on everything, but we have something in common, and that's spreading info to each other, and keeping on top of this flu.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic