Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 33 premature babies feared exposed to swine flu
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

33 premature babies feared exposed to swine flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 33 premature babies feared exposed to swine flu
    Posted: June 17 2009 at 6:06pm

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) -- Thirty-three infants born prematurely at a North Carolina hospital are receiving precautionary swine flu treatment after possibly being exposed to the virus by a respiratory therapist.

Moses Cone Health System officials said Wednesday that none of the infants in a neonatal intensive care unit at the Women's Hospital of Greensboro has symptoms of the disease. The infants are being quarantined from other babies.

Medical Director Dr. Tim Lane said the therapist treated a patient who later tested positive for the virus. The therapist worked a shift in the babies' unit several days later. It's common for the therapists to treat patients of all ages.

The staffer is at home, and swine flu test results for her are expected Thursday or Friday.

"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:45pm

This is the heartbreaking part...   0 to 5  age group should be protected.  Under age two especially so.  People should talk to their Doctor if they have children in this age range...

make a plan for illness and feel more in control..
rad5 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rad5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 7:13am
i am kinda freaked.  I'll be having a baby any day now and feel so at the mercy of everyone else.  I wanna have the baby ASAP and then kick everyone out of the room and check out as early as possible.   
LisaP View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 8:34am
Rad, my heart really goes out to you. You won't have to worry about checking out early since in-hospital deliveries are practically done at the drive thru, and most hospitals will let the Mom and baby stay together. Unless you want your baby sent off to the nursery, baby will stay in your room. Is this your first baby? I've had 3 kids in Boston  hospitals. I can't imagine why a resp. therapist wouldn't be wearing a mask around neo-nates. Tell the doctors and nurses you don't want anyone near you without a mask on - a woman about ot have a baby ought to be entitled to some consideration!!!!!!!!
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong.
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 8:45am
Update: No change

From local news paper

Lane said the chain of events began June 6 when the patient came to the emergency room with symptoms that were believed related to asthma. The patient was treated and released.

He came back to the hospital twice after experiencing more flu symptoms and was hospitalized June 10, Lane said.

The patient was isolated and classified as a suspected swine flu case on June 11; the hospital was notified Monday that he had tested positive.

“We immediately looked at any other patients who may have been exposed to this patient and any staff and employees who may have been exposed,” Lane said.

Lane said that’s when the health system identified the respiratory therapist as having been exposed to the patient in one of his initial visits to the hospital.

Officials discovered the therapist was home sick Tuesday.

The therapist had just completed a shift at The Women’s Hospital on Monday night and early Tuesday, treating babies experiencing breathing difficulties, thus possibly exposing them.

“We have tested the employee, and the employee is a possible or suspect case,” Lane said.

“She was in the area where we had approximately 33 newborns,” Lane said.

“We have obviously been concerned and have taken a broad proactive approach in starting those babies on preventive therapy.”

That therapy has included placing the babies on the anti-viral medication Tamiflu and monitoring them.

Parents, visitors and staff who may have been exposed to the virus also have been offered Tamiflu by the hospital.

The hospital is screening all visitors and employees for signs and symptoms of the H1N1 virus before allowing them to enter the NICU.

Lane said the therapist began feeling sick three to four days after initial contact with the patient and had aches and a cough over the weekend.

He said the employee followed hospital policy by not coming into work while feeling ill.

She felt better and came back to work at The Women’s Hospital on Monday, Lane said.

The therapist began feeling ill again after her shift Tuesday and has been at home recovering since, Lane said.

News-Record.com

Keep the the little ones in your thoughts and prayers.

"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 12:09pm

here is a little info...

in full here-

Dr. Heather Armstrong, an emergency medicine pediatrician in Florida, adds that infants may not have all of these symptoms but may manifest fever, irritability, poor appetite, cough or diarrhea.
"We don't know yet if swine flu will behave exactly like seasonal flu, but most doctors assume that children, especially infants, the elderly and people with chronic medical conditions like asthma or heart disease will be more severely affected," says Dr. Armstrong. "As with all flu, the risk is especially great for babies less than 6 months old."
The younger the child, the more susceptible they are to any illness, including the flu. "A newborn has not had any experience being exposed to germs which strengthen the immune response, nor [have they] had any vaccines and are at higher risk," says Dr. Armstrong.
"In any situation, a fever should be taken seriously in an infant under 2 months and warrants medical attention," says Dr. Armstrong.
Dr. Belilovsky recommends seeking medical attention if you notice your baby has a fever, cough, poor appetite, is cranky or lethargic, or appears sick and run-down.

Prevention
Prevention of swine flu is uppermost in people's minds these days, especially parents of young children. "Parents should be particularly careful to keep babies and children away from people who are showing symptoms of illness," Dr. Armstrong says. "If you are in a public place and someone is coughing don't feel rude by keeping your infant away! If a family member is sick it may not be the right time for them to cuddle the baby or to make up the bottles. Even a simple cold can be serious for a young infant."
Flu viruses are spread most often by coughing and sneezing or by touching surfaces that have been coughed or sneezed on – including tabletops, hands, money and even grocery carts.
Prevention basics for swine flu are the same as for any other flu, according to Dr. Armstrong. They include the following:

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. (Additionally, don't handle used tissues, such as those of your children.)
Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.

..Nursing mothers may offer a bit of extra protection to their infants, but may still need a bit of a boost. "Vitamins A and D should be supplemented in mothers, especially those who are breastfeeding babies over 2 months old, as they are vital in maintaining appropriate immune response, and are most often deficient," says Dr. Belilovsky.

My doctor told me that the baby should not have any food other than milk (I breastfed)
because infants do not have an ability to properly digest food before 1 year old.  I was careful to follow that and the baby had no colic...but I also ate no dairy products while nursing.

Do not be afraid to say no to passing the baby around :) My niece had people use handsanitizer berfor holding her baby...and that was prior to swine flu.  I find that most people are very careful to do want new mothers want, they understand the protective gene...if they do not, they need to.

Enjoy your beautiful baby.

rad5 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rad5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 1:32pm

Thanks Mary & Lisa for your comments.  I have the hand sanitizer packed in my overnight bag!  And unless there is good reason, she will stay with me in my room and not the nursery.  I have 2 littles ones already, my girl is 1 and my son will be 4 soon.  For both they let me check out 1 day early so I hear ya on the drive thru deliveries.  Remembering back though they sure did have alot of visits- from the staff.  Nurse shift changes, techs to draw blood, someone for pictures, cafeteria staff for meals, Doctors visits, pediatrician... in & out in & out.  Yikes!  With my daughter they had some visiting students in a mayo program and perhaps they were trying to impress because I couldn't get a break to bond with her.  TOO MANY VISITS but not this time =).  I can't wait to get through it, get home with all 3 for a too short - 12 wk maternity leave and feel less vulnerable to all of this for a short while.    

I hope these 33 littlest ones will be ok. 

abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:16pm
This is the update I have from Greensboro and I live here.

The therapist is ill, but so far none of the babies has shown any signs of illness. Keep them in your prayers.

Because of this thread, I know to be careful here. The site works.

I would also take Lysol to the hospital just as I do to hotels and clean door knobs, phones, toilet flushers, faucets and the bed. Someone else can do it for you.

Typically you get one labor nurse when you have had mulitple babies, the labor goes faster and it is done in one shift.  Depending of course when you go in to the hospital. If it was me and I was going to go in before a shift change I would try to wait until after the shift changed happened if it was possible. Then you are almost sure of only one labor nurse.

I agree with the keeping the baby with you. Nursing means no bottles that anyone else is touching. Limit your visitors. Be nursing during visiting hours, and have them put up the do not disturb sign.

God bles, and let us know when the blessed event happens. Debbie
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:59pm
Why not just have the baby at home?  It happens everyday
rad5 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rad5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:29am
Thanks Debbie,
I'll let ya know when she arrives.  I didn't know about do not disturb signs... I'll be asking for that right away!  And good idea about lysol spray.  My overnight bag is started with antibacterial wipes, hand gel and vitamins and I might even print some articles like someone's recent post about healthcare workers going to work ill.  (They are gonna love me =)  I'll hang that on my door!!!  My husband won't even want to visit me for embarassment! 
4=laro, If i could have a midwife at home and maybe hubby was Doctor or something then I'd go for it... but that sounds pretty terrifying to me.  & I must have epidural.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 10:16pm
Rad,
My daughter just had a baby last year, that is how I found out about the Do not disturb signs and in additon, if you tell the nursing staff to stop visitors they did so with a vengence and anyone who got angry got angry with the nurses.  Nurses did not care. Good luck to you. I personally never visit a new Mom at the hospital, they are allowed too little time to recoup and they need every minute, they do not have to worry about entertaining company. God Bless, Debbie
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 10:21pm
PS antoher thing I remembered, my daughtgers pediatrican is totally against taking newborns out in public, and against any children visiting them as they carry so much disease, LOL she felt that it was so important, she wrote a note and signed it, and told her Moms to show it to people who tried to insist on coming over. My son in law, would meet them in the driveway, note in hand and turn them away if they did not feel well. It seems to me no one who is sick should not want to visit a newborn, but I was suprised to find out that many people thought it was no big deal, they think that babies have a natural immunity. So, ask your Doc for a note,

Dear Friends and Family,

We love you all and appreciate your interest in seeing us, but this note was given to us by our pediatrician. Signed

Due to the Swine flu pandemic we are currently experiencing around the globe, and other communicable disease, I have asked my patients to please refrain from having visitors in to see the newborn, unless they are without fever and certain they are not ill with any colds or flu. and that no one in their family is ill, where they may be unknowingly transmitting or carrying a illness. Dr.
bestrong View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bestrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 6:48am

I hope this leads to a policy change at the hospital and alerts other hospitals to do the same.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic