Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Cookbook

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cookbook
    Posted: February 23 2006 at 5:31am
I would invest in a good cookbook.  The one I have to use is "Dining on a Dime" by Tawra Kellam and Jill Cooper.  It is a cookbook full of recipes that use just the basic ingredients.  I search for recipes that I need on the internet but if we loose power there will be no internet to search therefore that is the reason for a good cookbook on hand. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 9:14am
 Also, if anybody does any garage sales, keep your eye old for old cookbooks. I found one from ca 1880 that teaches how to make anything from scratch!!!!!!!!!!!!
otskot View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otskot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 1:29pm
Someone recommended Amish cookbooks also. I just got one and it is full of recipes with basic ingredients. 
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 1:13pm

Try mormon cookbooks.  Look at www.deseretbook.com and search under food storage.   By the way, I have a recipe for pinto bean fudge if anyone is interested. 

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 3:56pm
I am, I am!!! :>}
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 3:58pm
BTW, where did you find an amish cookbook otskot? I looked on amazon and found zippo. :>}
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 4:06pm
Oh, and I do have several preparedness cookbooks but I haven't tried the recipies out. I just like reading them. If you already know how to cook they give you alot of great ideas and assistance. Dehydrated and Freeze Dried foods can be tricky it seems.  Maybe we should start a topic with one food choice, like canned chicken, canned peaches or TVP and we can share recipies like that. just and idea. How 'bout rice, got lots of that! lol :>}
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 6:34pm

This is a rice recipe for Spanish Rice.  I have not tried it but it sounds easy and good.

1 chicken bullion cube

1/2 cup water

1 cup rice, cooked

1 tablespoon taco seasoning

1 clove of garlic, minced

1 cup tomato sauce

Dissolve bouillon in water.  Mix all the ingredients and bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Serves 4

I am sure you could modify this recipe to meet your needs if you were limited in items.

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:40pm
The Joy of Cooking, the earlier editions (you will need to find it at a used book store or rummage sale) is an excellent cookbook.  Not only are there typical recipes, there are recipes for wild game, plus how to dress wild game, including squirrel, possum, rabbit, bear, and myriad others.

An excellent book for the prepared.

nawty
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 5:33am

Some of the old 1950's cookbooks are being replublished. I've seen them EVERYWHERE. Look for the Betty Crocker and Better Homes and Garden ones.

Look at yard sales for cookbooks from the 1930 and 1940s. Those are the BEST.

Be VERY careful of the NEWER Amish and Mennonite cookbooks. They are FULL of specialty items, NOT basics!! Believe me I know. I almost joined an ultra conservative Mennonite church a few years back :-0 In REALITY, their lives are NOT simple. I found out I was too poor to keep up with them :-0 The OLD cookbooks are OK, or newer ones that are a collection of GRANDMA's recipes. The Amish know they have a problem with fancy cooking among the younger set and are starting to preach against it.

Look in the kid's section of your local library. You will find good stuff there.

Also look for ethnic cookbooks from COLD areas that have had to cook from stored foods during the long winters.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:22pm
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH AMISH COOKBOOK TO BUY? I HAVE LOOKED ....AND THERE ARE  SO MANY...PLEASE HELP THANKS
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:35pm
I purchased a local mennonite cookbook.  We have mennonites in our area.  The cookbook that they have is with basic items.  A few recipes with items that you may not have but most are with items everyone has in their pantry. 
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 4:30am

Try "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking, a Mennonite Community Cookbook" by Mary Emma Showalter ISBN# 0-517-16213-X

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/051716213X/qid=1141301565/s r=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-4030097-0437644?n=283155

Favorite Amish Family Recipes By Pathway publishers is also good. The only place I know to purchase it online is at Mark Roth's site. Pathway publishers doesn't even have a phone and prints all their books with a hand powered printing press :-) The cooking instructions in the book are almost nil and expect you to know a bit about cooking.

http://www.anabaptistbooks.com/cgi-bin/bkstore/perlshop.cgi? ACTION=thispage&thispage=titles/328.shtml&ORDER_ID=1 80897287

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 4:37am
KATDOE67, THANK YOU SO KINDLY. I PLACED MY ORDER THIS MORNING. 
pioneer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 9:28pm

i picked up a pasta maker a couple of days ago.

does anyone have a good pasta recipe to share.

the more recipes the better  please,

ill try them all and report back on which i think is the best one if anyones interested.

thanks

all the animals in the wood teach their children to survive from nature with one exception,
man
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 5:22am

My pasta recipe may be no good soon :-0

I beat 3 eggs with 1/2 teas salt. I mix in enough flour to make a soft dough. I roll it out with a rolling pin, then cut it into noodles and boil them. No machine. No drying.

3 eggs makes 4 GIANT lasagna noodles that fit in a 9 by 13 pan. They get bigger while boiling.

My "lasagna" is just sauce and bit of crumbled hamburg and a few slices of mozzarella cheese between layers of homemade noodles.

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 5:23am
I'm glad that helped Satomick. I HATE wasting money on lousy cookbooks :-(
pioneer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 8:19pm

katdoe67,

thank you.

you recipe is great because i have stock piled loads of  powdered egg.

just two questions, do you use bread or cake flour in the recipe,

and how long does it take to cook?

hey, what do i know, im a man,

all the animals in the wood teach their children to survive from nature with one exception,
man
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 4:50pm

Pioneer, I just use regular all purpose flour. You can use whole wheat too.

I found 2 good new cookbooks!

"Tassajara Cooking" and "Depression Era Recipes". You can read reviews at Amazon.com

Also "Recipes for a Small Planet" has a VERY interesting few pages called "Complementary Camping" that is useful for Bug Out Cooking.

Right now I'm really trying to focus on grain and bean cooking. Tassajara Cooking has some basic outline recipes that you just pick one or more ingredients from several lists. There is "Bean Soups" "Grain Soups" "Potato and Squash Soups" "Cream Soups" "Making a Casserole" etc.

www.honeyvillegrain.com has GREAT prices on powdered eggs compared to anything else I've seen. I'm about to put in an egg order and will feel SO much better now :-) I thought I was going to soon be eggless after seeing the prices of eggs and shipping everywhere else I looked.

Very, Very busy studying cooking this week :-0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic