Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Albert I have a question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albert I have a question
    Posted: June 27 2009 at 5:03pm
Sir, may I ask what happened to Med? I wouldnt have ask on the general board but we no longer have our members only section. I was just wondering if there is something all of us should know? Has he been banned or is he just not on the board anymore due to his own decision?
God put us here for a reason
MamaBear4 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaBear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 2:00pm
????? No answer after all this time! Whats going on ? Please Sir , let us all know whats happening. Thank you
noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 2:41pm
noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 2:48pm
MamaBear4 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaBear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 3:10pm
Thank you noflu4u for answering.
reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by noflu4u noflu4u wrote:

He mentioned yesterday on his site that it was due to being chastised about breaking 500,000 cases in NY story he posted here. This place can get a little rough at times when two or more ppl disagree on a subject.Ouch

GET A GRIP... silence is GOLDEN..non starter RC
"tell med the grasshoppers won"
noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 7:52pm
Levygoddess View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 8:19pm
RC please stop being so hateful. I ask the question of Albert. You need not be hateful to noflu4u, we are just curious. Noflu4u what is meds website? 
God put us here for a reason
noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 8:21pm
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 8:34pm
When Med and Mary kept trying to mislead people on various topics,  such as 500,000 sick in New York citywith no proof.  Inaccurate hyping of news like that  can get people to disarm themselves, again, over obvious bogus news.  Med has a following, and just like with dr. N, I'm not going to let people use their follwing to mislead them with whatever agenda they may have.   Med woudn't stop after numerous requests.    Anywhere from posting his email, when he knows better, to hyping false bogus news,  Med has a way of never listening to my requests.   When he said he is creating a mass exodus on our site, I again decided to suspend his registration until I couild look into it.

Nobody is ever banned from here.  Med can come back if he wants, and he has obviosuly chosen not to.   Just remember folks, we really have no idea who anybody is around here.  

noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 8:57pm
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 9:04pm
Thanks noflu4u.  Whatever the case is in these situations, or no matter whatever has happened, if someone's user is suspened or removed in an effort to get something to stop, the person can always return, and nobody is ever is permanently banned.  Med knows he can come back anytime he wants.   There are a few sites out there that put crazy spins on news, and Med knows we will not do that here.   The news of the 500,000 sick in NY never appeared in any other stories, and it was obviously bogus news.   I can't allow people to use this site for hyping false news like that.   To me, Med was using you all to hype the inaccurate news for reasons I did not uinderstand, nor do I care to.  Perhaps he wanted people to think the flu was very mild so there will be no need to panic in the fall, but whatever the case, the news was false and he wouldn't stop hyping it after a personal request.  
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 9:10pm
I've never emailed Albert or any admin on any poster but I thought Med was off base and pushing way too hard on many very bizarre issues. I don't know when Med posted it but it has been talked about in numerous newspapers since last week. Last week "I" posted reports that 500,000 may be sick in NYC alone. I gave links.

Look hard using google and you'll see NYC is estimated to be close to 1 million cases now on 6-29.

"About half a million New Yorkers may have been infected," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

NYPost - 500,000 Swine Flu cases CDC estimate 6-27

NY Daily News - CDC estimating 500,000 Swine cases in NYC 6-27

NY TIMES - American Health Officials estimate 1 million+ in US. 6-26

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 9:34pm
Like I said, Med can come back.   This is his own choice.   He has some off the wall posts at times and he never listens to me, but this is an open board and he can post here if he likes.    
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 9:43pm
Remember, one person guessed on a "ball park" number that 1 mill in NY could be sick.  If that one person is correct, and all of the media is running with the person's statement, than this flu is considerably more mild than the regular seasonal flu.  I hope that dr. with the CDC is correct, because this would be one super mild flu, which would be good news.  If she is wrong, then people could be in serious trouble.    If there are truly 1 mill sick in NY, I would say there is no need to prep any further at this point.   Let's hope Dr. Ann is correct.   

noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 9:50pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 10:38pm
The mortality rate is very low. The infection rate is predicted to be 3-5 fold of the normal flu and this thing is not seasonal. This might help things out as hospitals can better handle a flu if its spread out over 12-36 months instead of a 3 month flood like a seasonal flu. Let's just hope this think does not mutate to something worse.

My concern is a mass panic. If you try to buy ammunition the price has doubled or tripled and it's sold out in 90% of the common rounds. This all happened in a few short months. It only took a change of presidents to trigger this and it's really difficult to find AMMO today.

If everyone starts prepping that could cause the same situation as the AMMO situation but much worse. The minute the news scares the public into a food run it could turn nasty. So in my opinion prepping now is still a smart move. We are faced with endless potential disasters. The swine flu is just one of them.

I bought this from Costco.com and it's an awesome deal. Average shelf life is 25-30 years for 80% of the food. Free shipping, no tax and a free Wheat grinder. Its like money in the bank without inflation. Costo will take it back for a 100% refund at any time. 6 months of food for 4 people. 2000 calories per day. Good variety and you can get all your food prepping done in one day. 27 Cases of Food.
COSTCO LINK I think it came out to $2.77 per person per day. That's much less then I pay for perishable food. This food does not take up much room. 31 Cubic Feet in total.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 10:42pm
Albert,
Even if one million in NYC had the flu, does that mean it will not come back worse in the fall? I think it still could. The other thing that concerns me, and the article is posted here somewhere, is that this flu no matter how mild now is a potential spreader of Avain if the two mix in Asia in the Pig. It was proven that people can pass this Swine flu to the pig and the pig can then pass it to other pigs and humans. If a pig in Vietnam, Thailand, China or Indonesia were to have Avian and then a person with Swine counter infects that pig, the virus could recombine and be passed back to humans, who could then very easily pass it to other humans. This is deadly serious.

In my opinion, Med posted many things that promoted people wanting to go to his site and purchase his book on Pan flu. That always smacked of being self serving to me.

In addition, Med made claims about being involved with government agencies and I called him on it once that these agencies are simply as a Red Cross Volunteer, something you do not have to have a bit of training to do, anyone can sign up to be a Red Cross volunteer. Yet he implied  that he was in the midst of recieving top medical information from a government job he had.  He admitted it was the Red Cross. He was a nurse, he was not privy to all kinds of extra information. Yet he did sell himself as being THE authority on many things. He often stated opinion as fact.

I must say more recently I did agree with him on more of his posts, he was not so doom and gloom. I personally feel that Albert gave him a wide berth in regard to some of the claims he made.  He (Med) was charging for what I believe was information he gathered here at this site for free.

If he comes back, fine, but Albert has to keep the integrity of this site first and foremost. If people are posting too positive or too negative which I see more of. It discredits the site. Facts are important. One story right now on the site is this one about Jane Burgermiester suing Obama and the Rothschilds and the Rockefellers, I have done some in depth research and can not see how this Jane Bergermiester is the same author as the Jane Bergermiester who authored several enviromental articles. There are many things in that article that could be bogus. The  article accuses the so called Elite of making a vaccine to wipe out our population. It would be big news if it iwas true, but I sure do not see it anywhere else. If it is false, it could stop people from taking life saving vaccinations.

Albert has always had this site for the better of the people it serves. In a attempt to educate and empower folks to stay alive. I believe without knowing Albert personally that he would be devastated if he thought any information posted here caused more harm then good to people.  He has a awesome task.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 11:08pm
Albert setup a free Google Adsense account and make some money. I see no harm in helping pay for your domains, bandwidth, server fees and time. I make a very large sum of money on my sites dong this. You tend to get better google positioning so you end up with income and more traffic.

Almost every large forum does this or sells ad space.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 6:29am

Originally posted by reality check reality check wrote:

He mentioned yesterday on his site that it was due to being chastised about breaking 500,000 cases in NY story he posted here. This place can get a little rough at times when two or more ppl disagree on a subject.Ouch

GET A GRIP... silence is GOLDEN..non starter RC

You starting with me now too? Bad bet!

Don't even start your crap with me...med was exposed for his hidden agenda and I called him on it. Try reading A comments  before judging me..Get a grip like I told you RC
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 6:44am
If 1 mill in NY have the flu, this is going to be the mildest pandemic in recorded history, which is very good news.   Since this Dr. Ann says there are one million sick, I think it's wise to discontinue prepping, and for everybody to stop wasting their money for the time being.   This is a significant development, and all things being equal, we may not even notice anything different in the fall.   Out of 1 mill sick in NY, only 32 have died?   This makes the seaonal flu look bad, lol.   

At the moment, I would say there is absolutley nothing to worry about this fall.  This pandemic strain is siginificantly more mild than the seaonal flu, and by a long shot.  Let's hope this Dr. Ann knows what she is  talking about. 

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 6:45am
One more thing, if you all have Med's email, you all should email him and maybe start your own forum.  I would prefer not to have Med back here again at this point.  For the most part, the pandemnic threat in the fall is over either way.  If only 30 out of 1 million die, I would say there is very little to worry about.   I'm not even sure why they would make a vaccine for a strain that is weaker than the normal flu.  
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 8:07am
Since they have no proof that almost 1 million people have H1N1, because they stopped testing all but the most severe cases, they are just guessing at this number.  Now if they had continued with the testing and had proof, then I might believe it, I am not saying I don't believe it, I just don't know. People get sick with other things, they think they have H1N1, it's just not accurate, people over react and think they have something they don't, but without testing how are we to know?  I hate to see what the second wave brings in the fall! 
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 8:19am

"About half a million New Yorkers may have been infected," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

Nationwide, Schuchat said, there's probably been 50 times more cases of swine flu than have been officially reported.

"There have been at least a million cases of the new H1N1 virus so far this year," Schuchat said. "Reported cases are really just the tip of the iceberg."

It's right there folks.  This strain is extremely mild per Ann Schuchat.   The numbers speak for themselves, and that is the official word from the CDC.  If the CDC says that 30 out of 1 million have died in New York, then that means this strain is extremely mild, and doesn't even warrant creating a vaccine.    With this new information, I would disregard any plans or concerns regarding social distancing and yanking your kids out of school in the fall.   It really doesn't make much sense to prepare for an h1n1 pandemic at the moment, or to be concerned about a second wave.    We should probably go with the CDC on this one.   

Now lets enjoy the summer and get on with our lives.    At least we know there is a very mild flu season heading our way per the CDC.  

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 8:44am
The CDC was on top of things to begin with, at the beginning of this outbreak, then all of a sudden, for whatever reason, they started downplaying and minimizing things. With such statements as it is a "mild" flu. I personally believe that (my own opinion only) that they stopped testing on purpose so they would not have accurate numbers, this way they could continue to downplay it with the numbers. Now it seems as though they are taking a different turn and just throwing unsubstantiated numbers out there in another effort to downplay H1N1, by continuing to say it's "mild" since so many people have it. I do believe it's a ploy to have people not panic and to continue with the "mild" theory, while anyone watching the news everyday continues to see people dying at a faster rate and on a daily basis all over the world.  Trust the CDC at this point? I think not! Well, I question them at this point?
noflu4u View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 9:22am
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 11:04am
the pandemnic threat in the fall is over either way.  If only 30 out of 1 million die, I would say there is very little to worry about

they say it will be like 1957.  A lot of money is being made... keeping people in jobs, an industry in itself.  ...so the scandalizing over the influenza drug bubble is very interesting.

They can't continue to throw such huge sums at it.   W.H.O. will then have a more minimal status....ya think?  (not)

see... ( Financial Times Talks About W.H.O. )
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

<P jQuery1246374624079="9">"About half a million New Yorkers may have been infected," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

<P jQuery1246374624079="10">Nationwide, Schuchat said, there's probably been 50 times more cases of swine flu than have been officially reported.

<P jQuery1246374624079="11">"There have been at least a million cases of the new H1N1 virus so far this year," Schuchat said. "Reported cases are really just the tip of the iceberg."

It's right there folks.  This strain is extremely mild per Ann Schuchat. The numbers speak for themselves, and that is the official word from the CDC.  If the CDC says that 30 out of 1 million have died in New York, then that means this strain is extremely mild, and doesn't even warrant creating a vaccine.    With this new information, I would disregard any plans or concerns regarding social distancing and yanking your kids out of school in the fall.  It really doesn't make much sense to prepare for an h1n1 pandemic at the moment, or to be concerned about a second wave.    We should probably go with the CDC on this one.    

Now lets enjoy the summer and get on with our lives.    At least we know there is a very mild flu season heading our way per the CDC.

Albert,

I'm pretty sure that quote of 1 million above was referring to the total of US cases and not just NYC. The US Deaths are at least 133. Also take into consideration that 80% of that figure has just recently contracted the swine flu. So many of the 1 million will still die as several thousand are in the hospital in serious condition. The real mortality rate for those 1 million might be closer to 500 not 133.

That's still only a .05% mortality rate. I feel it's going to be a good deal higher but that's just my opinion. If 50% of the US catch the swine flu and .05% die then that's about 75,000 deaths. That's only a little over twice the normal seasonal flu mortality numbers.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Technologist Technologist wrote:

[QUOTE=Albert] <P jQuery1246374624079="9">"About half a million New Yorkers may have been infected," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

<P jQuery1246374624079="10">Nationwide, Schuchat said, there's probably been 50 times more cases of swine flu than have been officially reported.

<P jQuery1246374624079="11">"There have been at least a million cases of the new H1N1 virus so far this year," Schuchat said. "Reported cases are really just the tip of the iceberg."

It's right there folks. This strain is extremely mild per Ann Schuchat. The numbers speak for themselves, and that is the official word from the CDC.   If the CDC says that 30 out of 1 million have died in New York, then that means this strain is extremely mild, and doesn't even warrant creating a vaccine.    With this new information, I would disregard any plans or concerns regarding social distancing and yanking your kids out of school in the fall. It really doesn't make much sense to prepare for an h1n1 pandemic at the moment, or to be concerned about a second wave.    We should probably go with the CDC on this one.    

Now lets enjoy the summer and get on with our lives.    At least we know there is a very mild flu season heading our way per the CDC.

Albert,

I'm pretty sure that quote of 1 million above was referring to the total of US cases and not just NYC. The US Deaths are at least 133. Also take into consideration that 80% of that figure has just recently contracted the swine flu. So many of the 1 million will still die as several thousand are in the hospital in serious condition. The real mortality rate for those 1 million might be closer to 500 not 133.

That's still only a .05% mortality rate. I feel it's going to be a good deal higher but that's just my opinion. If 50% of the US catch the swine flu and .05% die then that's about 75,000 deaths. That's only a little over twice the normal seasonal flu mortality numbers.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 4:04pm
I took my son to the Dr. today and people were actually wearing masks, I had mine in my purse and I had swim goggles also. We stayed over ten feet away from everyone, so we did not use them, but we washed our hands with hand santizer at least fifteen times everytime we touched something.

No matter how mild this virus is on its own, it can mutate with the bird flu cant it? I know I have heard Margaret Chan say that, and others.

I never stop prepping. Hurricanes are just now starting. Wars are all over. The economy is not getting any better any time soon. I am also a bit concerned about this dog flu virus. Who does not have a dog? The vet that discovered thought that ten percent of the dogs in the US would die from it. She was wrong, but it is still a threat.

Albert, I value your opinion more then anyone, and I am not sure your serious about not worrying. Are you??

I am personally happy that Med is gone. He has passed himself off as a medical expert for far too long. 

To those of you who do not remember, I credit this site with saving my life this last winter in a severe car accident we had.  I was totally prepared with my bug out kit. My phone, I knew what to do and how to do it, and when. So if you want to leave, see you.  This site has been and always will be about more then just flu. It is about survival and empowerment.  Empowerment makes you not panic when otherwise you are most likely to.  You also have no idea how many people I have helped with information from this site. I recomend it to everyone. If you leave it is your loss. 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 5:26pm

One more thing, if you all have Med's email, you all should email him and maybe start your own forum.  I would prefer not to have Med back here again at this point.  For the most part, the pandemnic threat in the fall is over either way.  If only 30 out of 1 million die, I would say there is very little to worry about.   I'm not even sure why they would make a vaccine for a strain that is weaker than the normal flu.  

ClapClapClapClapsee ya medClapClapClapClapRC
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 7:15pm
quote abcdefg....... on his opinion of med.

In my opinion, Med posted many things that promoted people wanting to go to his site and purchase his book on Pan flu. That always smacked of being self serving to me.

In addition, Med made claims about being involved with government agencies and I called him on it once that these agencies are simply as a Red Cross Volunteer, something you do not have to have a bit of training to do, anyone can sign up to be a Red Cross volunteer. Yet he implied  that he was in the midst of recieving top medical information from a government job he had.  He admitted it was the Red Cross. He was a nurse, he was not privy to all kinds of extra information. Yet he did sell himself as being THE authority on many things. He often stated opinion as fact.
 I could not of said it betterClapClapClap!!!!!!what a pompos A$$...see ya med..RC
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 9:47pm

<P jQuery1246374624079="9">"About half a million New Yorkers may have been infected," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

It's right there folks.  This strain is extremely mild per Ann Schuchat.   The numbers speak for themselves, and that is the official word from the CDC.  If the CDC says that 30 out of 1 million have died in New York, then that means this strain is extremely mild, and doesn't even warrant creating a vaccine.    With this new information, I would disregard any plans or concerns regarding social distancing and yanking your kids out of school in the fall.   It really doesn't make much sense to prepare for an h1n1 pandemic at the moment, or to be concerned about a second wave.    We should probably go with the CDC on this one.    

Albert,

This is really confusing....

I have been with you for quite a while and to hear this from you is stunning. In effect, you are telling us that we do not have to prep anymore? Please clarify your message and tell me if I still have to prep for the swine flu or is this a mild flu ?????

Sincerely

ME163 (KOMET)

TipKat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 10:19pm

Hi Albert, I too like a few others think you're kind of telling everyone to stop prepping rather quickly.  R u certain?  i thought you wanted everyone to keep their eyes on Egypt and Asia before making any final assumptions.   It's just rather concerning to me that you take the good Dr. at her word well knowing that the CDC stopped testing for this ful a while ago. 

I just don't understand how you can be so sure.  I would think you would practice the kind of caution that you asked everyone else to use before coming to this sudden conclusion.    What about the cases in Argentina?  The possible mutations/resortments etc.?   I am not saying you don't know what your talking about but this is not in the character or manner you have been use to delivering your opinions or beliefs about a killer flu in the past.   Albert there are a lot of people that we love and we want to see stay healthy and safe.  I just want to hear from you how you know for sure.
Tip.
TipKat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 10:46pm

Monday, June 29, 2009

comment: I believe this is the CDC briefing from Dr. Ann that Albert was refering to. Tip

H1N1: CDC Briefing Transcript by Dr Anne Schuchat

http://myhealth-matters.blogspot.com/2009/06/h1n1-cdc-briefing-transcript-by-dr-anne.html

CDC Telebriefing on Investigation of Human Cases of Novel Influenza A (H1N1)

Here's the statement from the CDC, by Dr Anne Schuchat (the full transcript is available by clicking on the weblink above):

Anne Schuchat: "Thank you, good afternoon, everyone. We've just completed 2 and a half days of our Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, a lot of which did focus on the novel H1N1 influenza virus and so what I want to do this afternoon is briefly give you a situation update about what is going on here in the United States, a little bit about the Southern Hemisphere and provide a few pieces of information related to vaccine planning.

The novel H1N1 influenza is continuing to spread here in the United States and around the globe. What we're seeing is varying by region in the United States and in different countries. The key point is that this new infectious disease is not going away.

In the U.S., we're still experiencing a steady increase in the number of reported cases. Of course, reported cases are really just the tip of the iceberg. The number of new cases that were reported to us this past week was actually the largest number we've had reported since the beginning of the outbreak.

Today, we're describing the 27,717 lab-defined cases have been reported to us here in the U.S., including over 3,000 hospitalizations and 127 fatalities. There were more than 6,000 of these cases reported to us within this past week.

W.H.O. is now reporting almost 60,000 cases of this new virus in more than 100 countries and they report being aware of 263 deaths. Here in the U.S., 12 states are reporting widespread influenza activity, those include Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah and Virginia. And you'll notice some of those states have been having widespread activity for a while and some of the states that had widespread activity a while ago, like Texas or California, aren't actually on that list right now.

It's very unusual for this time of year to still be having so many states reporting regional and widespread activity and that's just one feature that helps us know that what we're seeing this year is quite different than what we usually see with seasonal influenza.

In terms of the virologic testing that's being done, the new H1N1 virus is now making up more than 99% of all the typed isolates we're testing here in the U.S. with our collaborating laboratories, so virtually all the of the influenza that's circulating that's getting a diagnosis is this new strain right now here in our summer months.

We're also tracking milder illness, outpatient visits for what we call influenza-like ill this and this is now returning below the national baseline but in -- at the national level, but two of our ten regions of the country are still above what we think of as a baseline for this time of year. Those two regions are New England and the New Jersey/New York area, regions 1 and 2, where they're still seeing more influenza-like illness than you would expect to see at this time of year.

Those regional numbers can mask outbreaks of clusters at smaller geographic areas and we know some communities are still coping with outbreaks of this disease. Influenza-like illness increase during week 24 in 6 of the 10 regions compared to week 23. That's unusual. Usually this time of year, things would be going down instead of going up.

As you may have heard yesterday, we at CDC are estimating that those reported cases are really just the tip of the iceberg. We're saying there have been at least a million cases of this new H1N1 virus in the United States so far this year. That's really not a perfectly accurate estimate. It's just a number, a ballpark figure, that we think for sure there's been more than a million of these new infections. We know we're not tracking every single one of them.

There have been community surveys in a couple of areas looking at influenza-like illness in areas where we know there's a lot of the strain circulating and in many of those communities, they're reporting proportions of about 6% of their community members having had an illness that's consistent with the new virus.

I want to just briefly next some clinical features. We continue to say there most of the impact of this new virus is affecting younger people compared with what we see with the seasonal flu when, of course, seniors, people over 65, are so greatly affected. We're seeing high rates of illness among people under 50. When we look at hospitalized cases, nearly 80% of people who have been hospitalized in the U.S. and reported to us have been under 50. The median age of hospitalized cases is 19 years old.

When we look at the most severe outcomes, the people who have died, the age is a bit older. The median age of those who have died is 37, still quite young for anyone to be dying of an infectious disease, but a bit older than the hospitalizations and the average cases.

We think it's important for everyone to be aware of this new virus that's circulating in so many parts of our country and the world, but it's particularly important for those of us who have underlying health conditions.

We might think of these as big problems because they're just part of our day-to-day life, but people with asthma, people with diabetes, heart disease, people with chronic lung disease and, of course, people who are pregnant night to be especially concerned if they develop respiratory symptoms, fever and a respiratory illness.

You've heard us talking about obesity and sometimes we talk about what doctors call more bid obesity or extreme obesity. That's showing up in our lists of people who are hospitalized with this condition and among some of the deaths that we're seeing. We want to clarify that.

We think that people who are severely obese, the extreme obesity or what doctors called more bid obesity are people who also have chronic lung disease. The heavy weight that people are carrying around can compromise the lungs and can put you at risk for influenza, so it's not really a new risk factor for influenza, it's just a repackaging of that chronic lung disease that we've always known was a risk for influenza.

I want to mention a particular feature that we've been hearing about this past couple weeks and that's outbreaks of influenza occurring in summer camps. Earlier in the spring, we were talking to you about outbreaks in schools and now, the state health departments are letting us know about a number of outbreaks in summer camps that are affecting people, both children, teenagers and adults associated with these camp communities. It's quite unusual to have this many outbreaks of influenza in camps, but it's not actually that unexpected given the continuing spread of this virus and the fact that when at-risk people congregate in close quarters, it's easier for things to spread.

We are aware of 34 outbreaks of the novel H1N1 virus occurring in 16 states around the country and this is an important issue for public health and for parents to be aware of. Camps have taken a number of steps to reduce illness among their campers and their staff. They're isolating sick campers from others. Some have delayed sessions or sent kids home who were ill. Some have actually closed for the summer.

And we want to make sure people know that we have guidance about Congress with this new virus in the summer camp setting that's on our website at www.cdc.gov. Of course for camps that are catering to children with medical conditions, that's a particular concern because those children are so vulnerable.

Next I want to briefly mention the Southern Hemisphere. We talked to you a lot in the weeks that passed about our keen interest in what would happen in the Southern Hemisphere as influenza continues to circulate because the Southern Hemisphere, of course, is going into their winter season, their flu season.

There are reports of this new H1N1 virus circulating at the same time as the seasonal H3N2 influenza viruses and other influenza viruses in the southern Hemisphere. They're outbreaks of the new virus that have been reported from several countries. There's significant numbers or cases that have been reported in particular from Australia and on Argentina and Chile and in some of these places we have heard reports that the health care settings are actually having difficulty coping with the numbers of people coming in, so just as we saw some challenges here in cities around the country in the U.S., some of the Southern Hemisphere countries are also having that type of challenge with the onslaught of these new cases of illness.

We do expect that this new strain is going to continue to spread in the Southern Hemisphere and intensify over the weeks ahead and we are continuing to watch this closely. We'll be watching for changes in the virus. We have not seen any changes in the virus that are important as of this point. We'll also be watching for changes in disease patterns. We've mentioned that people over 65 don't seem to be getting this illness or getting it in very great numbers here in the U.S. We'll be watching to see whether older people start to get this virus in the Southern Hemisphere as the flu season progresses. Those kinds of concerns have not shown up yet but we're continuing to watch. We'll also be continuing to watch the virus to see if it develops resistance to the oseltamivir type of drugs. We haven't seen that yet but it's the kind of thing we'll continue to look for.

Lastly, I want to say a few things about vaccines. We've told you in the past that vaccine development is going on in the U.S. Five manufacturers are working on this particular strain of influenza, making candidate vaccines that can be tested in clinical trials that will be happening over the summer months. And then, as many of you know, the CDC hosted our regular advisory committee on immunization practices here in Atlanta the past couple days and we had two sessions devoted to the novel H1N1 virus and really, the pandemic planning in general.

It's too early for decisions by the ACIP about who might get this new vaccine that's being worked on or for specific target groups to be clarified. It's really important that we have open and candid discussions about the planning and that's what went on here in Atlanta. A very thorough set of presentations about vaccine development, virologist, about the guidance is important pandemic influenza vaccination that are being developed over the last few years, re-evaluation of that guidance in light of the scenario we are seeing today. We've heard about the plans for tracking vaccine effectiveness and vaccine safety and about the public health issues related to implementing immunization program against this new virus, a pandemic virus. It was a good meeting with a healthy set of discussions.

I want to let you know a few of the features of the discussion. Although we haven't made decisions about actual vaccination and who will be vaccinated should a safe and effective vaccine be developed and available, it's very important for states and communities to begin intensifying their efforts on planning to administer a vaccine should such be necessary in the fall. So, we want to do what we can to help states and local health departments and the partners within their communities move forward in that planning.

We want states and communities to be ready to offer and administer the vaccine should one become available against this novel H1N1 virus and to help with that, we expect to be providing specific planning scenarios to states and communities that they can use in trying to understand which populations they'll need to be reaching.

While the CDC and our partners have not finalized those planning scenarios, based on what we're currently seeing with respect to the virus and the epidemiology, we want states and communities and health care providers to be thinking about how they would be able to vaccinate younger people, pregnant women, people who have underlying health conditions like diabetes and answer ma that put them at higher risk from severe complications from this new influenza virus so the idea that this virus has been greatly affecting young people including school children, pregnant women, babies, and adults, particularly younger adults with those underlying conditions, those are the kind of populations that the state, local and health care providers can really begin thinking about.

That action doesn't mean we've finalized any vaccine recommendations. Of course, we'll be looking to the advice of the advisory committee on immunization practices and other stake holders as well as the public as we move forward in our plan, but it's very important for planning to go on and to move forward expeditiously because if we do need to vaccinate, we'll need to have good plans in place.

So, in some way, this influenza virus, this new H1N1 virus that the W.H.O. has declared to be pandemic, is not going away. It's continuing to cause illness, deaths and outbreaks here in the U.S. and it's causing illness in the Southern Hemisphere in great numbers. The government and public health are busy taking steps to be ready to respond to this virus as we see what happens in the fall and to be ready for a great increase in the illness and outbreaks that this virus will cause.

We want communities and families to also be thinking ahead about how they can ready themselves to cope with this virus should increased illness and community outbreaks occur. Coordinated planning is important and this is a partnership really between government, the private sector and the public and it's also important that we coordinate between the federal, state, local and really community levels and those are the kinds of efforts that we're going to be focusing on over the weeks ahead so, I think I'll stop with that and answer questions that you have."

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 6:00am
This is really strange. On CIDRAP, they have been telling us to prep. prep and prep. They even have put this lady on their story about prepping. They are talking about prepping for months. There is even an area for special populations. This contradicts what albert is telling us. I am very confused about this and have asked albert to explain himself. We deserve an explaination as to why he has told us to quit prepping.

ME163
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 6:32am
This Anne Schuchat is hyping the 1 mill cases fairly good.    They are going all out on the mild-spin before the fall season.   

Komet, I can't tell people to prep and waste their hard earned money when we have the CDC sending a message to the public that it is an extremely mild strain.   If she would give a "ball park" estimate on the number of hospitalizations and deaths out of the 1 million, that would help.   She is leaving that out because they have the "mild-spin" in motion. 

I originally didn't want to post this information because of the damage it would cause.  "Guessing" on the number of people infected is a bad move.  If she is guessing wrong, people are going to be in a lot of trouble.  I rely more on "facts". 

The CDC will be getting people to disarm themselves between now and the fall season, so everybody needs to rely on their gut feeling on what to do.   This is exactly why this site will never work with the CDC,  The WHO, or any other entities or sites in a pandemic. 

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do with prepping at the moment.         

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 7:57am
Ok,

So I don't know what to say after this one.

I am still going with my gut feelings on this one Albert.

I will keep prepping and go to costco website later this month and order an additional supply to backup what I have in cans.

I, like you don' t trust the Who or any other transnational organization. CIDRAP is my primary source of information.

Still I think that it is not a waste of time to prep. I am going toeat the food any way....

thank you for your honesty and your courage,

Sincerely,

KOMET

Pookey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 8:14am
Albert, 

The people here are going to keep on prepping.  It is just in our nature.  A month ago you were certain of a probably more virulent second wave in the fall.  Is this no longer your thinking? 

My thinking is that the CDC is going to be really confused, when we have a second virulent wave from the southern hemisphere concurrent with an on going mild first wave.  I want to be around to follow this.  I'm thinking Keystone Kops.
Suzi1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 8:48am
They don't know what will happen any more than we do but they are not going to prepare people for the worst. They need their jobs and are spineless. The last admin. and this one also want people dependent so they will do what they are told.
jeanne View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 12:18pm
when i read albert's post saying we can quit prepping, my first reaction was to think he was being blisteringly sarcastic.

then i kept thinking about it. was he serious? stop prepping? enjoy the summer? wtf?

but something strange happened. i actually found myself not worrying for the first time since april. and enjoying the summer. because albert said so. because somebody i recognize as one of us said so.

knowing life is brief and cheap, it's also precious. the heat of the sun, the coolth of the breeze, these are wonderful things to enjoy. and when i'm worried about the future, all i can see is my husband dead in the bed beside me, and my daughter and her son choking on their sputum.

but i didn't do that yesterday. it was as if i've been living in a fog. i woke up, looked around me, clutched my husband's hand tight and felt a thrill of joy when he squeezed back. we're alive. the world is good. today is a great day.

and that's what i've been missing for several months.

maybe planes will be flying and i will get to go on my residency in october, where maybe i won't die in my studio while my husband is dying in our bed. i wonder what that would be like?

my point is that albert is right to tell us to go out and enjoy our lives. we don't know how bad it's going to get, but we're sure as BLEEP wasting our time sitting online reading alarming things. so top up the preps and go outside and enjoy the summer. it may be our last one.

or not.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 12:34pm
so true Jeanne! Still we can prepare-would be a very smart move. We can also enjoy life and the beauty around us!Our native Americans didn't even have material things and they were living in harmony with nature and god. Live each day as if it was our last..Coyote
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 3:34pm
Jeanne,
I can totally relate to your feelings. I have become so depressed about this I too felt the exact same things. I apllaud your courage in being the first one to say so.

I fully trust Albert. He started this whole site to help people, he has never charged a dime for anything, some of you do not know, but at one time he even had a deal set up where we could buy Tamilflu.  He has always had our best interests at heart.

I felt a bit amazed at when I heard Albert say enjoy the summer.  I felt a great weight had been removed.  I did feel alive again. Having the lung disease I do, and the children with the illness that I do, I was like you, doing nothing but see the worst.

I fully intend to continue prepping, because that is who I am. I have realized years ago through this site, that I like to be in control for as much as humans are allowed to be. I realize and believe personally that ultimately God is in control and we will not perrish one day sooner or one day latter then he intends and that even if we may not understand the purpose or the meaning of life and death he does.  However in my Christian belief he says  " My people perrish for lack of knowledge" so I believe he commands us to be prepared. To value our lives and the lives of our loved ones. If we do not prepare to me it is like saying we dont care, we do not value life. Some people will say God will provide to them I say God helps them who help themselves.

IF you do not believe I am not challanging you, this is just how I think. I have been guility of living with a spirit of fear. I am human. Some of these posts, and especially some folks more then others, tend to be wild exagerators and they say things and post things that have no business but to instil fear.

I believe that Albert has recognized this and has tried to put a stop to it, to no avial with certain posters and it has frustrated him. It is dangerous to be overly frieghtened and it is dangerous to be overly laid back.

I do not believe WHO, I do not believe the CDC. I believe that what we put together in here based on reports from around the country and the world are things people have actually seen. Things that are being reported locally that the national news is not carrying.  

The funny thing is for me, when Albert said, relax enjoy the summer, I felt more alive and more able to do what needed to be done. I was becoming paralzyed by fear. I had even said to friends, if this thing does not happen, I am not going to go back on the forum anymore because I can not take this kind of stress.  I recalled how in years past, we all said that we were going to go on vacation, and do things but be smart about it, based on what we had learned in here. We would puti into practise. We were empowered by what we learned.  People can only sustain that level of stress for so long. 

We will go on vacation, to a beach house we have been to many times before, it will be cleaned with bleach and lysol, masks will be with us, protective clothing, eye goggles, a bug out bag which I learned to make here.  We will keep the car filled with gas in case we have to head for home in a hurry, we will not board our dog but take him with us. We will not board our cats but leave out enough food, water and litter so they can stay at home and not be boarded. We will not go to public tourist hot sopts at all, but simply ejnoy each others company and the ocean. The beach we go to is not very populated so distancing at least ten feet will be easy. We will cook in and not go out to eat. We do not need any more T shirts.

My daughter and grandson and son in law are traveling in by plane, they will have masks, they will have three seats so no one can sit next to them. They will sanitize the arms of their seats, the window handle, the call lights and not use the bath room if it is at all possible.  They will not converse or interact with other pasengers and there is a part of the plane that is a bit safer then others.  We also know a Dr. in the area we are going to, should we have the need of one.

Not to be a kill joy but I am aware that this virus can still mutate with Swine flu or a virus in the Soutern Hemisphere although I have to believe that some scientists are more then likely able to project by computer what will happen with the mutations of circulating Southern Hemisphere virus.  So that gives me hope. I am allowing myself to have a bit of hope again. Perhaps there is not some major plot to kill off all of mankind. Perhaps things are as they seem, or perhaps God has said NO as he did to Baxter when they sent the virus out contaminated with live H5N1. I know I have prayed and I believe in the power of prayer. I also realize that if I over react I am never going to get anyone to listen to me, if this passes but Avain comes back on the radar in a big way or something else. I have to be careful not to have people see me as a nut case who says the sky is falling anytime anything is not 100% perfect. I also believe that this site has the same obligation.

The trutrh is, we should be on this forum if everything is perfect, if the sun is shining and there are no virus going around at all, even if we have no war and our troops are home and North Korea is being quiet and we are not being threatened by Ossama Bin Laden, even if our money was worth what it should be and there was no financial crisis.  Life is uncertain. On September 10th 2001, there had never been a Katrina, we had no virus running rampant, no one knew who Ossama was, Korea was quiet, troops were home, people were spending money, employment high, dollar worth a lot, 24 hours later our world changed in a way we will never forget. Ever. Today is July 1st 2009, eight years have seen a awful lot of stress and uncertainty, we will never be the same again as we were on September 10th 2001.

I will never again, feel so vulnerable, so uneducated, so helpless and confussed as I did on Sept. 11th 2001 and a big part of that is because I prep.  I hope and pray that this virus is as mild as they say. If the last eight years has taught me anything it has taught me that anything is possible, sometimes we dodge a bullet and sometimes we are in the direct line of fire. The only difference is this time I AM prepared. Stop prepping if you wish, stop visiting the site if you wish, but as for me and my house we will enjoy this wonderful gift called life, and we will worship the Lord and we will be as prepared as we can be. Good luck and God Bless you all, I look forward to learning from you, and continuing to empower myself and hopefully post a few things that empower you. As for the folks who want to poo poo and say no need to prep I say leave, we do not need that kind of negative influence as to those who insist on posting the most horrid of details about things that serve no puropse but to spread fear and cause people to freak out and stress, I wish you would take a hike also, both types discredit this site and the intent I believe it was started for. 
no-bama4me View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no-bama4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 9:37pm
Well spoken. Its easy to lose our day to day joys when we become consumed with worry over the future.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 7:10am

Whatever the case may be, we should probably keep prepping for the 90 days.   

I apologize for the mixed signal folks. 

Prep for the 90 >>>>  Full Steam Ahead >>>>>

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic