Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

WHO estimates 2,000,000,000-may get Swine Flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHO estimates 2,000,000,000-may get Swine Flu
    Posted: July 30 2009 at 9:43am
http://www.fortmilltimes.com/106/story/671050.html

WHO earlier estimated that as many as 2 billion people could become infected over the next two years - nearly one-third of the world population.

"Even if we have hundreds of thousands of cases or a few millions of cases ... we're relatively early in the pandemic," Fukuda said in an interview at WHO's headquarters in Geneva.

comment: I don't know how much longer I will be able to continue getting this data out there- but this is my best shot. This mostly is from main health organizations- no bloggers- and hard core estimates. We are talking 33% of the population infected with Swine Flu-some have moved this up to 40%. The effect on our infrastructure and society no matter mild, will still be considerable. If the flu does mutate further into a more virulent and deadly form which is possible- you are going to have very few places left to find out how many are infected or how many have died.

That is how it is.

Help us to keep the data flowing.

Medclinician

dennis2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 10:27am
Yes, these numbers are about that we have always said: at least about 1/3 of the people will get it.

I still say the CFR may very well end up arounnd 0.3% to 1% by the time the third world countries develop it.
after all is said and done- more is said than done
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 12:46pm
more from WHO

even though reports of over 100,000 infections in England alone last week are plausible, the World Health Organization's flu chief said Friday.

comment: it is important for everyone to stay level headed and calm. Massive infection does not mean massive deaths yet, with very large numbers infected, over all there will be many deaths.

preparation and perspiration- not fear and exasperation are out best way to deal with this.
Everytime TPTB become more transparent and release larger numbers which are closer to the actually numbers, its a win for us all. We know what we are facing and can prepare.

The public in a way must earn .govs trust as we want them to earn ours. If we do not freak out when we are given intense information, they will be more at ease to put out more.

Medclinician 
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 1:47pm

Just a few thoughts...

Even if worst case -  30 to 40% of the country became ill....  It wouldn't happen to the entire country all at the same time.

As Doctor Schucat says... the Govt. has to think in terms of worst case

....to keep focuced on continuity of operations...

In terms of Child health.  They have to try to keep the schools open because many

children are fed 2 meals per day at school.   that is a big assist to families.
dennis2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 3:30pm
The numbers I have seen show about 10 to 15 % sick at the peak.... however, someone has to stay home with them....  so 25 % or so absent at the peak. (not counting the afraid to go out people).
However, looking at the Argentina numbers, some of the schools had 60 to 100% absent for a few weeks.
after all is said and done- more is said than done
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:04pm
I think Dennis is close to the mark. I would even venture to say it could be much higher than 25%. Recently in Australia it was reported that some states were experiencing absenteeism in the workforce of around 10-15%.

It is not unrealistic to think the figure could be much higher with a deadlier, or more virulent strain circulating. 
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:24pm
I should have added.... 40% over the next     2 yrs.... from the briefing...

Joanne Silberner: Thanks.  And I hate to plague you with numbers but got to do it.  Follow-up on the 40% of Americans over the next two years.  That number, that's the number who may be affected in terms of they themselves are ill or people around them are ill and they're caretakers?  And the second question is earlier you said the attack rate in communities was 6% to 8% with this flu.  How does that compare to seasonal flu? 

Anne Schu******: Okay.  The 40% figure that I gave was not about illness.  what I was trying to say was our planning assumptions for a severe pandemic were that at a certain period up to 40% of the workforce might be affected and not able to work either because they were ill or because they needed to stay home to care for an ill family member.  So a lot of that is the ill family member, not the worker themselves...

source
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:43pm

It would be good to know some needed concrete info.

We want questions answered...  like-

What can be done for a family where both parents are ill and the baby and 2 yr old had

become ill 4 days prior and with the whole family down....who will care for them?

They are 400 miles from family.  

answer

Parents..    have the Number ready ahead of time....  County Nurse?  etc.
Doctors should Know Resources in the area for this type of situation.
Is there a Mobile Unit in the area?
Is there a Visiting Doctor or P.A. for emergency visits.

If a patient is too ill to drive to the Doctor, what are the provisions

for giving prescriptions over the phone to patient's pharmacy?

answer

Talk to your Doctor ahead of time.

Know if someone can visit patients at home.

Have ready ahead of time the phone number of a pharmacy that delivers.

Make sure your husband/friend/child/family member has all of these numbers

ahead of time.  

A neighbor
A friend
your Doctor
your pharmacy that delivers Meds and sick room supplies
the County Nurse
A professional Nursing Service
A food delivery service like ...Shwans... a take out... or grocery delivery.

CDC

excerpt-

July 30, 2009 1:00 PM ET

Step 5 - Prepare for the Next Wave

The current wave of H1N1 is not as severe as previously expected or anticipated in prior community public health planning.

However, future waves of the virus or new viruses may be more severe than what is being seen today which will result in even higher call volumes to a community's 9-1-1 system. In addition, many calls requiring medical triage or clinical guidance-as opposed to general information-can be expected.

source

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 6:21pm
I think the CFR of .46 to 1.25 % rate. I hope that the cdc does the right thing and admit to us what is really going on here. death rates will be higher than the 1957 pandemic. We will see some social chaos in areas of the nation that might trouble you. The winter wheat crop is planted in the fall so a pandemic could impact your bread prices.
DazzaMc_NZ View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DazzaMc_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:09pm
"WHO estimates 2,000,000,000-may get Swine Flu"

That's bull****.
In New Zealand we have a 100% infection rate with only those over 60 or so predicted to not catch it.

I'm SICK of the lies coming from those supposabley in charge.....
waenderer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waenderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:29pm
DazzaMc NZ : the governements try to keep the people cool about this virus....why ?

1: everybody is on holliday and away from home....you don t want panic then.
 so it is better to wait with the bad news untill all are back home...
2 : we are all raised to be control-freaks....so what faith will the public have in a governement thar admites it has no control what s so ever over this bugg ?

Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

Joanne Silberner: Thanks.  And I hate to plague you with numbers but got to do it.  Follow-up on the 40% of Americans over the next two years.  That number, that's the number who may be affected in terms of they themselves are ill or people around them are ill and they're caretakers?  And the second question is earlier you said the attack rate in communities was 6% to 8% with this flu.  How does that compare to seasonal flu? 

Anne Schu******: Okay.  The 40% figure that I gave was not about illness.  what I was trying to say was our planning assumptions for a severe pandemic were that at a certain period up to 40% of the workforce might be affected and not able to work either because they were ill or because they needed to stay home to care for an ill family member.  So a lot of that is the ill family member, not the worker themselves...

source

Mary, I have been in communication with Albert and notice I am still alive here and still posting. Therefore- i.e. Albert must know something concerning my creds that cannot be put up. You and I, and many of the posters here are about to have a go of it, and it is a for the best interest of all go of it.

We are dialoging, its not personal, but it could get pretty heated.

Having talked to people in the governor's office in two states and also people drafting current flu plans and about to meet with others- what ever Anne said is off target.

We have done extensive research in how this plays out and I want to go over with you the scenario.

Basically it doesn't take a high path Pandemic second wave to nuke the infrastructure as we know it. And neither does it take one to blitz our work force. Despite the stars on the shoulders and letters past the names, the facts rule out versus the official persons giving out data. Forget the spagetti (who is an expert).

It is going to hit younger Americans and our mothers! Mother is going to stay home. We recently did a survey of how many working mothers will stay home to take care of little Johnny- it was 70% will stay home. This is not unlikely.

Now, consider what percent of a hit .gov offices can take and still funciton. Considering postal lag, backup on processing many mundane things now even with borderline staffing, you hit these people with 60% less workers- you are down.

I know for a fact in many departments people are doing the work of from 4-10 people. They are begging for reinforcements and be have budget cut after budget cut. You think they are going to get them?

Point after point- kids MUST STAY HOME- they are the number one carrier of the disease. They are walking petri plates. And it has been proven-if you need links I have them in every country where the kids stay home - they just did this in Yucatan to stop the possible second wave- it spreads less.

No question. No brainer. Kids spread flu. And many parents are oblivious to their kids sneezing all over and playing smoochie face with every relative other kids and even the cat or dog or pig if allowed.

You are going to wind up with a nation of over 60 per cent people and some babies and a big hit on the work force.

One MUST get this through the brain that these people standing up making statements are trying to soothe the masses.

I think the pretty earthy statement - don't scare the people on vacation is the desperate desire of merchants and the tourist trade to make that last dollar, not some humanist feeling for people to have fun. There is this obsession with letting everyone having their last party before the winter.

Well- rain on the parade MC. We need to be prepping.

Great for the 1% who are. Party. But some of us can't. I respect Albert resting because between he and I, Bluebird, and people you don't even know handles for yet are going to team up and go 24/7 on mountain dew and brownies in about 2 weeks if this stuff gets real real bad.

2 billion sick people- announced by WHO as possible- let that sink in. Do you think the virus is going ot be just staying the same strain as it mix and matches in 2 billion mixing vessels?

Probably not.

I know. Before I leave for California- I am still seeing it here in West Viriginia- if it ever stops raining- kids playing in the sun as ambulances are hauling away people sick to an ER which is packed.

Yesterday- do I live at the hospital- I have friends there in moderately prominent places- who tell me stuff. There are 3 local hospitals and of course very subtly Johnray is over in Bluefield manning the watch tower there. He is doing his M.D. thing- he is a regular doctor for those unaware. And we have more doctors on here than you might realize. Most do not post. This is a dangerous field to be vocal for doctors- or anyone who has a job working for .gov. They know stuff.

We are forever getting these blatant statements versus our statistics and hard numbers.
Its hitting the young. It will likely hit the kids and at least mommies are not going to work when their babies and kids are sick. They are going to stay home- for the most part. Daycare will be initially forbidden to take sick kids. It is a literally breeding ground for the flu in a pre-school.  You can't just keep them open because having a babysitting service is important - if you cause the flu to spread.

Please do feel free to comment. And please do give links. And although mainstream statement are what they are- there is spin. There is politics and there is damping the fire.

I should be at a rock concert today, and one I was asked to play at.  I am posting.

Medclincian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic