Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A realistic discusion of the coming Health Plan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

A realistic discusion of the coming Health Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 11:44am
Or let me put it another way.  

If (under the proposed healthcare plan) after consuming a GMO product containing a flounder gene one of my eyes migrates to the top of my head, am I correct in assuming there will be no help for me since the head is not a part of the body?
SheepLady
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 3:12pm

Illegal Backyard Garden?

March 27, 2009

Q: Would a new bill in Congress make my backyard organic garden illegal?

A: A House bill proposes to split the Food & Drug Administration, creating a separate entity to oversee food safety. Its aimed at food sold in supermarkets and doesn’t say anything about organic gardening, pesticides, farmers markets or that tomato plant in your backyard.

FULL QUESTION

This one keeps hitting my inbox.

Hello friends and fellow citizens,

⬐ Click to expand/collapse the full text ⬏

FULL ANSWER

Talk about Internet hysteria. This bill, H.R. 875, introduced by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), has sparked chain e-mails, blog postings and other exclamation-point-filled rants (like the one above), claiming that the legislation targets organic farmers, benefits manufacturers of genetically engineered seeds, and threatens to uproot backyard vegetable gardens across the country. It doesn’t.

DeLauro introduced H.R. 875, called the Food Safety Modernization Act, on Feb. 4, and it was promptly referred to House committees. There’s no indication as to when it may be brought to the floor for consideration, despite what some blog posts maintain. The stated purpose of the bill is “to establish an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services to be known as the ‘Food Safety Administration,’ " which would oversee food safety and labeling in the U.S., creating a single government entity in charge of preventing food-borne illnesses. DeLauro’s press release announcing the legislation, introduced after the peanut butter salmonella outbreak in the U.S., said that “FDA would be split into an agency responsible for food safety (the Food Safety Administration) and another responsible for regulation of drugs and devices. This move creates an agency solely focused on protecting the public through better regulation of the food supply.”

The bill has 41 cosponsors and has been endorsed by major food and consumer safety organizations, including the Center for Science in the Public Interest, Consumer Federation of America, Consumers Union, Food & Water Watch, and The Pew Charitable Trusts. Food & Water Watch is a nonprofit organization that advocates for clean water and safe food and is headed by a woman who used to work for Public Citizen, the consumer group founded by Ralph Nader. It has posted a fact sheet on H.R. 875 on its site, disputing rumors about "food police."

The legislation stipulates that the new FSA (Food Safety Administration) would set safety regulations for food establishments and "food production facilities" and would be able to inspect such facilities. Its regulations also would pertain to imported foods. The e-mail posted above and others say that the definition of "food production facility" is so broad that it could include backyard gardens. The bill says: "The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation." It seems quite a stretch to think that anyone’s personal vegetable patch would be considered a "farm, ranch or orchard." First Lady Michelle Obama showed no signs of concern last week as she broke ground on a sizable 1,100-foot garden plot on the White House lawn. Organic, of course.

The e-mail above argues that DeLauro’s bill "[e]ffectively criminalizes organic farming but doesn’t actually use the word organic." We’re not sure how exactly a bill would criminalize something it doesn’t mention, but the e-mail is correct in that the word "organic" is nowhere to be found. Another Internet posting more alarmingly claims: "Bill will require organic farms to use specific fertilizers and poisonous insect sprays dictated by the newly formed agency to ‘make sure there is no danger to the public food supply.’ " But the quoted phrase isn’t in this bill. Nor is there any mention of chemical versus organic fertilizers or "poisonous insect sprays," or, for that matter, pesticides in general.

The only mention of fertilizers we could find was this, requiring that the FSA create regulations to: "include, with respect to growing, harvesting, sorting, and storage operations, minimum standards related to fertilizer use, nutrients, hygiene, packaging, temperature controls, animal encroachment, and water." The idea that "fertilizer use" would not include organic fertilizers is pure speculation well beyond what the legislation calls for.

Also, organic farming is regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, under its "National Organic Program," not the FDA.

And It Gets Even More Hysterical

E-mails and blog postings claim that the agricultural giant Monsanto will benefit greatly from the bill; some say the often-protested company was the main lobbyist, and still others say DeLauro’s husband "works for Monsanto." He doesn’t.

DeLauro’s spouse, Stanley Greenberg, is chairman and CEO of Greenberg-Quinlan Research Inc., a public issues research and polling firm. The company does surveys. And public relations work. Monsanto was one of the firm’s clients. Greenberg is a pollster, not a lobbyist or a Monsanto employee, and he just released a memoir on his life as a pollster to five world leaders, including Bill Clinton and Nelson Mandela.

Also, there is nothing in the bill about "GPS tracking" of animals, as the e-mail above states, and not a peep about "seed banking."

Small Farm Concern

Small farmers, however, may well have concerns about this bill. Food & Water Watch’s fact sheet acknowledges that there’s always a worry that government regulation of food production will adversely affect small farms, which can’t absorb the possible costs of abiding by regulation as easily as big food producers can. "The dilemma of how to regulate food safety in a way that prevents problems caused by industrialized agriculture but doesn’t wipe out small diversified farms is not new and is not easily solved," the site says. It goes on to say that other bills, not H.R. 875, that have been introduced could create problems for small operations, such as one that requires electronic record-keeping and registration fees with the FDA.

Another group called the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, which supports "sustainable farming and direct farm-to-consumer transactions," raises several concerns about DeLauro’s legislation and how it could affect small farms and in particular, producers of raw milk, which the FDA has declared to be unfit for consumption. But the group states that "much of what has circulated the internet is not accurate," and nowhere in its criticism of the legislation does it say organic farming would be outlawed or home gardeners would face regulations.

We suppose in the grand realm of all that’s possible, or more likely a futuristic B movie, federal bureaucrats could decide that public safety calls for inspections of every backyard garden in the nation, leading everyday citizens to surreptitiously cultivate tomato plants in a closet with a sunlamp, lest they get busted by the cops. But we kinda doubt it.

– by Lori Robertson

Full disclosure: The author has an organic vegetable garden.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 5:59pm
Thanks, Mahshadin!
SheepLady
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Mahshadin's Email Mahshadin's Email wrote:

Small farmers, however, may well have concerns about this bill. Food & Water Watch's fact sheet acknowledges that there's always a worry that government regulation of food production will adversely affect small farms, which can't absorb the possible costs of abiding by regulation as easily as big food producers can. "The dilemma of how to regulate food safety in a way that prevents problems caused by industrialized agriculture but doesn't wipe out small diversified farms is not new and is not easily solved," the site says. It goes on to say that other bills, not H.R. 875, that have been introduced could create problems for small operations, such as one that requires electronic record-keeping and registration fees with the FDA.

So they don't want to drive them out of business and screw with them, but at the same time they're going to screw with them and drive them out of business in favor of the huge corporations... Astounding!

You really amaze me Mahshadin...

You of all people should know that once you let the government in, you don't get the government out. Your post said that someone's small garden wouldn't fall under government scrutiny, what about people that grow produce to sell at a coop or farmer's market? They would face the exact same taxes and whatnot that the mega-corporations do. I've seen anywhere from $200 to $500 tax per farm, or "Food Production Facility." How many people selling tomatoes, Corn and strawberries at a farmer's market could reasonably afford the government taking a cut of their produce?

Candy from the mouths of babes and all that.

I have a girlfriend that grew a massive pile of tomatoes, so massive that she actually made national news. Se didn't make a single red cent for them, she gave them away, but because she had a "Food Production Facility" as she had so many, she could technically be labeled as an orchard or farm. You'd have the government levy a tax against her knowing full well that she makes no money off her produce and simply grows them for fun? A $500 dollar fine for the audacity to grow a pile of tomatoes. We should just tax everyone for everything!

And you self labeled yourself as a Conservative, Republican, and independant yet defend this administration and congress.
hope4bestprep4wrst View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope4bestprep4wrst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 3:35am
Mary008
Hopefully TPTB will be secure enough to allow a lengthy discussion, although I worry that every complaint could be used as an excuse to change the bill in an unwanted direction. Look at how the public option dropped away after the town hall meetings (not that everyone agrees with that part but many Obama supporters seemed to have counted on it).

Technologist and Mahshadin
Regarding the farm bill, I wonder how bartering will be taxed. I looked into this issue a while ago because I was considering getting into bartering and came across tax code that said bartered goods are treated as real income and their inate value is taxable by the federal government.  As such, in co-ops and neighborhoods where we exchange large quantities of fruits and vegetables (I know this is a technicality) I wonder if bartered goods can be taxed even from backyard gardens (how would anyone ever know???).
I know someone with a small but substantial chicken coop who is already dealing with having to chip her birds (in Virginia I think) and that is too costly for her to do. Plus, why do we want to eat microchips?

If the FDA wants to get on top of this maybe they could look at Salmonella and E. Coli rates in eggs and meat and get that problem fixed first. JMHO.  They don't have enough people to work on the big issues.

Thanks for listening!
D
Be Well
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 6:02am
Where to get money for the "Free" Health Plan you ask?  Simple
You ask the same people who financed  Barak Husane Abama election campaign  
to pay for the health plan
reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 7:41am

If the FDA wants to get on top of this maybe they could look at Salmonella and E. Coli rates in eggs and meat and get that problem fixed first. JMHO.  They don't have enough people to work on the big issues.

Thanks for listening!
D
[/QUOTE]

Actually Salmonella enteritidis is the major bacterium found in eggs. During an outbreak I was involved with we had epi do some reserch and the odds of an egg (graded) having this organism or any other is 1 in 10,000 as per their reserch. Thats why you eat sunny side up eggs and do not get ill.RC
"tell med the grasshoppers won"
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 7:50am
Originally posted by reality check reality check wrote:

Thanks for listening!
D

Actually Salmonella enteritidis is the major bacterium found in eggs. During an outbreak I was involved with we had epi do some reserch and the odds of an egg (graded) having this organism or any other is 1 in 10,000 as per their reserch. Thats why you eat sunny side up eggs and do not get ill.RC
[/QUOTE]

Try this on for size...

According to numerous published stories and reports, Taubenberger stated that he and his team utilized super-computers to map the complex RNA and DNA structures of the 1918 killer virus, then utilized human plasmids to successfully re-create the 1918 killer. Taubenberger completed his work in early 2005, then immediately left the employment of the U.S. Army at Ft. Detrick to take a much more lucrative position with the National Institutes of Health. His new focus was to create a VACCINE against the very same 1918 killer flu that he and his team had, just months earlier, successfully “reverse engineered” and created.

The so-called “Swine Flu” grabbing headlines today is actually a recombinant, or “split-influenza” virus consisting of A-strain Bird-Flu (H5N1), Swine Flu (H1N1) and multiple strains of human flu (H3N2). Likewise, the 1918 Killer Flu that killed untold millions of people was a recombinant or “split-influenza” virus composed of Bird flu, Swine Flu, and multiple strains of human flu.

Med

What is relevant? This is. Good to see you back. We estimated a significant change on the 25th August and then some pattern formation by August 31st through September. Watch the news - R.C.

reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 7:56am

Good to know..Med..btw glad to see everyone including me being a tad more respectful. RC

"tell med the grasshoppers won"
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 9:05am
Originally posted by reality check reality check wrote:

Good to know..Med..btw glad to see everyone including me being a tad more respectful. RC

We have been extremely immersed in IRL developments. I am looking forward to Albert's return as I have posted in the discussion forum in terms of dealing with events which have occurred during his absence. He has specifically informed me that as owner of the site he would deal with these upon his return. He is the head of the site, and despite delegations of authority has the last call on all issues. That was his last communication to me.

The same issues remain issues, and the lack of transparency in counting or reporting cases, is a primary and vital issue. Since, while diverting, the focus of the site is Flu- what is happening with the Flu should be the most important issue of all. And there is a LOT happening with the flu and we will be releasing more numbers.

For one I am from Sunnyvale, and sent most of my life in San Jose. Two people died there from Swine Flu, meaning now an area with 4,000,000 people is infected. This, if not already will spread immensely.

The new health plan, while important to Americans, absolutely is irrelevant to the coming Second Wave.

Med

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 5:51pm
I read an interesting article in ... Small Business... The Journal Report (WSJ)

Sick and Getting Sicker

by Simona Covel

Ms Covel makes a good point... and this is not something that will go away.  We really have no choice.  We need it... we have to figure out how to implement it , tweek it and oversee it, and most important, how to pay for it.

Ms Covel-

A recent study from the National Federation of Independent Business, a Washington, D.C., trade group, found that 26 million of the nearly 46 million uninsured Americans are small-business owners, employees or their dependents.

Some members of Congress, mindful that small businesses employ the majority of Americans and lots of their constituents, are pushing for programs that will let small businesses join cooperatives that could use their size to spread risk and negotiate costs down, like bigger businesses.

this writer below is not quite understanding?... how small.. these small businesses are.... or how amazingly expensive health care has become. 

Mr Wasilewski says...

Contrary to what Ms. Covel’s article suggests, it seems that the cost of health care is not the key driver to these entrepreneurs’ inability to provide competitive rewards. That these businesses are struggling to hire and retain good employees seems the result not only of high perceived health care costs, but financial difficulties in general, a lack of vision, and a reluctance to invest in human capital.

happiness is View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happiness is Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 8:22am
the bill as it stands needs to be put down and save us misery. I would recommend that you read the first 70 pages before thinking this is a great plan. It has Rahm emmanuel's thinking ,as well as his brother's behind it To state that you believe that life starts at 2 years of life... wow and here we are agueing life begins at conception and rights of the unborn.. So please before this thread goes any further read the first 70 pages. You will not need a lawyer, just a throw up pan
dreamer
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 9:10am
 Who needs Death Panels?  VA's "Your Life, Your Choices"

"We are God's partners in matters of life and death."

--BARACK OBAMA

Friday, August 21, 2009

VA: "Your Life, Your Choices"  Full Article

As we learned in the past few months, the difference between having a pro-life president and a culture of death president could not be more clear.

It is night and day.

Case in point:
The VA's Death Book, "Your Life, Your Choices."  

From Jim Towey, the Wall Street Journal:

Page 21-22  Is Your Life Worth Living?

"Your Life, Your Choices" presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political "push poll." For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be "not worth living."

------------------------------------------------
http://hotair.com/archives/2009/08/20/wsj-va-pushes-vets-to-consider-death-as-an-alternative-to-treatment/  full article

WSJ: VA pushes vets to consider death as an alternative to treatment

This booklet has been in use since the Clinton administration.  When the Bush administration finally reviewed “Your Life, Your Choices,” it suspended its use within the VA system.  For some reason, the Obama administration and Shinseki have reinstated the booklet this year.  The directive re instituting the "revised" booklet was issued last month. (July 2, 2009)

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Please search out Obama's Health Advisors who have the president's ear and have had
input into the Health Care Bill.  Just google for yourself to find out what they advocate for, the books they have written and you don't have to wonder why the majority of Americans are afraid.  Especially Seniors.

Ezekiel Emanuel
Cass Sustein
Peter Singer
John Holdren
etc.......

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 10:22am
Yep...the Government is facing all the Boomers living as long as their parents 80's and many 90's. With this fact Government would love to have the Boomers get to 65 -70 need a triple by pass and tell them so sorry you do not have enough years left for Medicare give you the operation you need . So sorry...just make do and and we will give you an End of Life Counselor with a .

This scares me after what I have been through with my family. I would rather pay for my insurance, have a higher deductabel and file bankrupsy if I had too than a Government Run Insurance/Health Care plan.
debracanice View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debracanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 9:34am
Im in Cananda and my eight three year old mother had surgery for heart value replacement

truth is she should not of had the surgery , after eighty survival of surgeries can be harsh , she spent a year in pain and never recovered dispite home nurses and doctor visits every week ,
she had all the drug and all the care
the truth is not everyone can tolerate surgeries and recovery is very comprimised at a certain age
yes it is playing God to decide who get what treatment

my mother was first turned down by a renowned Canadian Hospital so she went to another til she found the answer she wanted

I am just saying that she was not prepared for dying
her death was horrible , her last year terrible and
in the end she died on a ventalator in the middle of the night with no one around her

I dont think you can legislate such matters though and I agree I wouldn want it in a bill
but every patient and every doctor has to come to terms that death is part of life and
surgeries dont always prevent death and sometime the death is more horrible when there is no plan
My mom should not of had that surgery
She spent the next few months having her lungs drained and then her iron levels built up and then her kidney ending up failing and then she was not strong enough for kidney diaysis and she ended up with a infection. and in a coma
Her lungs were so bad she felt air hunger all the time and she felt depressed and scared
Had she not had the surgery she wold of died around the same time , but we would of been able to share her time ,  She would of been prepared still in the end death sucks

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 10:20am
I'm so sorry to hear abour your mom.  A very difficult time.  I understand her desire to find a way to go on...my pop had a triple bypass at an advanced age and he is  82 now.  there are still 3 grands to marry ...and have great grands...and he wants to see them very much.

then ... I understand this well...  My mom should not of had that surgery .. i don't want my own mom to have any surgery.. don't want anything to happen to her...she is younger than my dad.  and dad was in 30's for kids.   Good thought to think twice about certain types of surgery.  

Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 11:38am
I am so sorry.I hate to see anything/one suffer.
debracanice View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debracanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 12:06pm
Thank you my point is I agree that you should not have a deah counsil as part of the bill
its too personal and individual to be covered by a bill

Obama goofed when e put death into a bill

It has scared seniors and rightlfully so
Its a family matter between the doctor and family abnd death is horrible
no matter what
I have known thoses who have chosen their time  of death and been prepared and it is still horriifying ,  death is not for the weak
never the less a universal healthcare system will not cause anyone to pull the pug on anyone healthy enough to have a good outcome
. by the time someone makes thoses kind of desions the signs of death are clear
and DNR are not new

We dont have a death panel
we barely have a organized system to talk to loved ones about the immenient death of a loved one
neither time did I get a one on one councelling about the time of death
my mom was in a coma for four days then pulled out of it for one day then died the next
my brother was well one day then in a coma the next '
he did make a plan with his doctor to not resestate
both had long term illness and both were not expected to make a recovery at their point of admitance to the hospital , both got full services , all the bells and whistles for lack of better words. 

also soemtimes it can look like someone has made a complete recovery and then they stroke out , death can not be legislated neatly
here or in the States  

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 1:56pm
good point... it was an error to do that.  Why not just offer in the Bill to pay for any hospice care ... and push the legal stuff on people in their 40's :)  like all Doctors have to offer info to people on their 40th or 50th birthday... health care proxy info packet.  Our local hospital hands out small health care proxy cards to everyone .. they are even in the cafe.

There is a big atrium with a fountain, gift shop, coffee shop... comfy seating... the Doc's come there to talk to the family after the op.  we are a medium/small city.

I'm glad you give your ideas...
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 5:16pm
My mom was 80 when she had colon cancer surgery & lived another 7 years!  She had hip surgery at 84! 

Survival depends on a person's will to live, not their age.  I shudder to think how bad it would be if our government simply denied care based on age.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 10:42am
Originally posted by My email My email wrote:

Democracy for America is hiring state-level Public Option Field Organizers for an intense three-month pressure campaign  to pass a public option as part of healthcare reform.

We're upping the ante and are looking to put full-time, hired, grassroots field organizers, on the ground to pressure elected leaders to pass healthcare reform with a public option in your state.

You can see the entire job description here: DemocracyForAmerica.com/PublicOptionApply

You know your state better than anyone and you have better contacts. We need your help to get the word out because time is critical and we have a very tight timeline to hire additional staff.

Can you pass this position onto anyone you think might be a good fit? Can you post this on a local blog? Send it to a local email list?

Public Option Field Organizers will have their work cut out for them. They need to hit the ground running to build grassroots pressure and get Senators and Representatives off the fence in support of the public option.

If you know anyone interested in joining this intense three-month campaign to get a public option passed, please send them this link:

DemocracyForAmerica.com/PublicOptionApply

Thank you for all that you do,

-AQ

Adam Quinn, Field Director
Democracy for America

P.S. Questions? As always, feel free to contact me and the rest of the DFA Field Team at field@democracyforamerica.com.

Democracy for America relies on you and the people-power of more than one million members to fund the grassroots organizing and training that delivers progressive change on the issues that matter. Please Contribute Today and support our mission.
Paid for by Democracy for America, http://democracyforamerica.com/ and not authorized by any candidate. Contributions to Democracy for America are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.

These Kool Aid Drinkers have to be kidding me! They're looking to HIRE and PAY people to protest in support of this crap!?! They couldn't drum up enough support for the bill that they're now resorting to paying people to suport this crap legislation?

Now we're hearing about Obama and Co. flying supporters into wherever he goes to make things look like there is a majority of people backing him. And they called George Bush corrupt and evil...

Seems more and more to me that there's a civil war brewing. I fear what may be the spark or what depth of evil this administration will go to to. If they can't get support the old fashioned way, they'll bring in SEIU goons to try and intimidate protesters and stack town hall meetings with hacks, liars, and paid supporters to try and force it. I remember that as a tactic of Lenin, Stalin, Amahdinejad, Hugo Chaves, or Adolph Hitler *NOT* a sitting American president. Let some of these goons start attacking, or picking a fight and you're going to kick off a war in the United States that'll totally cripple our country. These people are poking a sleeping giant that when awoken will not stop until there is blood. I hope they understand this, really and truly.

Bring on your Brown Shirts, I've  got a whif of the ol' Brimstone waiting for them. If they make the mistake of pushing me, I will push back. Hard.
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 11:24am

Turboguy

Exactly what are you saying. Are you insinuating the Republican party does not have fulltime paid organizers. And if so (That’s Laughable). Of course each side will organize in support of what they believe, that’s called being involved. And if you are doing the work fulltime, you should be paid for it (Right or Left). How many people can afford to take 3 months off without pay (Anyone)?

What your really saying is if anyone organizes in anyway that disagrees with your views you want to start a civil war

Is that about right

Sounds like your advocating a Dictatorship (My Way Or The Highway)

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 11:58am
Ahhh Mahshadin, but there's the rub. You actually think the Republicans are paying people to protest against this? The push against this garbage policy cuts a swath across all socio-political divisions and does not need paid protesters to lobby against it. People are doing so on their own. It is what is so maddingly frustrating to the Liberals.

Originally posted by Mahshadin Mahshadin wrote:

What your really saying is if anyone organizes in anyway that disagrees with your views you want to start a civil war

I do applaud your attempt at a Straw Man fallacy. Clap

Organizing is one thing, intimidation and thuggery are another. The supporters of this are actually trying to stop those who disagree with the President and Congress through force. You have questioned in the past why anyone would bring a rifle to a demonstration. Which SEIU thug or supporter coward is going to risk pushing or trying to intimidate the guy who is peacably standing with a slung rifle?

I don't want to start a civil war any more than your side wants to lose one, but that does not mean that I will stand for being pushed by anyone. I am not the type that allows anyone to bully and if need be I have no qualms with pushing back and I tend to hit a lot harder. What I am afraid of is that your side will get stupid and push someone who then pushes back and is pounced upon by more thugs, who is pounced upon by protesters and in a runaway feedback loop people start getting seriously hurt or killed.

And, if I do a little checking here on this site I see that you yourself were lamenting the protesters who organized in disagreement with your views. You even have the gall to say something like this when you attach a nickname to those at the "Tea Parties" with a sexual connotation? Good for the Goose, Good for the Gander my Statist friend.

Originally posted by Mahshadin Mahshadin wrote:

Sounds like your advocating a Dictatorship (My Way Or The Highway)

Like the one the President seems intent on setting up himself with all his Czars and Nationalizations? Nah, I'm saying your side has been getting a little too... adventure-ish in their support of obviously flawed and failing policy and that little adventure will get cut short, with force if need be.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 1:42pm

Presidentially ..we can't compare similars... (they're all crooks? :)  many of us feel trod on (taxed foolish)  we need to hear ideas for solutions... we have complained long enough.  thinking... thinking...

Tell us what all your state's Town Hall's are up to...  so we can compare

TOWN HALL

New York Voters and Long-Term Memory | Health Care Town Hall Meetings

................................................................................................................
T'all you fine dandies, so proud, so cocksure, prancin' aboot with your heads full of eyeballs- come and get me I say! I'll be waitin' on ya with a whiff of the old brimstone! I'M A GRIM BLOODY FABLE, WITH AN UNHAPPY BLOODY END.

Is that? ...Gamer talk.  LOL
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 1:47pm
I think it is quite clear which side is trying to thugerize the issue

hey new word Wink

No need for falacy or straw men
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 6:15pm
Hey Turboguy

It does not appear we will be agreeing on much as it relates to Healthcare and Financing it.

One thing I think we can agree on no matter what happens is:

It Needs To Be Paid For. And none of this Enron Math to get there either.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 2:27am
Mahshadin, I totally and completely agree with you as far as SOMETHING needs to be done, and it's gotta be paid for. I simply disagree with you as far as who's going to be paying for it and where the problem lies. I think it's too easy to lay all the blame at the feet of the Insurance companies as they're the ones most people end up paying. Instead we need to take a look at the health care industry on a system wide basis. The problem isn't just with the Insurance companies, it's also with everyone from the Practitioners, providers, and the insurance companies.

Thugerize! I like that word! Imma use it, but you get credit.

And the Enron math is an awesome metaphor for the shell game we constantly play in regards to financing whatever we need.

Just because you and I disagree does not mean that I can not learn something from you, quite the opposite. If everyone agrees all you do is distill the same thought to the extreme of absurdity (Look at Democraticunderground or AR15.com some time) and this is a rather large problem that we're all running into nowadays. People don't look to the other side because they just can't fathom that someone might have a different opinion. I value your difference of opinion more than if you agreed with me 100%.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 8:27am

Interesting read.

excerpt-

For the vast majority of Americans who have health insurance, the change would mean

little more than submitting a form with their tax returns proving that the plan they carry

meets certain minimum standards.

Many of the nation's 47 million uninsured people, however, would be required to purchase

a health policy or face financial penalties,

though waivers or discounts would be provided for lower-income Americans.
...................................................................................................................................

How fair is that? 

The so called middle class want's the same perks...we pay most of the

taxes with none of the benefits.         enough.  

The middles are tryng to help kids with college and medical and take care of elders too

We need an assist... let people take all healthcare expence straight off the adjusted

gross income ... no more percentage games!  

They know everyone has to pay about 6,000.00  or  7,000.00 for premiums...

so they make sure that amount is the percentage cap...and anything

OVER that 6 or 7 thousand... big whoop...you get to take that lil bit off income taxes...

what... a ...  racket. Wacko

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 8:28am

Please let me know ... the size... of the above lettering... thank you...Mary
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 10:07am

Health Records On Line Full Steam Ahead

I know some people don't like it...  But Doc's need to get on line and share knowledge...
if my patient has xyz...  I haven't seen this... I'll check what they are doing to help other
patients... not a bad idea... have you ever heard a Doc say?   "I don't do internet."  ?

I sounded odd to me ...   :)    (not my Doc)

..........................................................................................

$1.2 Billion in HIT Stimulus Funds Announced Yesterday,

the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)

announced details of two programs that will provide $1.2 billion in grant funding to

encourage the adoption and use of health information technology (HIT) systems and

promote health information exchange (HIE).

The two programs announced by ONC yesterday, authorized under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009, will:
Fund the establishment and development of an estimated 70 HIT Regional Extension Centers across the country. The HIT Regional Extension Centers will be responsible for providing technical assistance and guidance to hospitals and other health care providers to achieve “meaningful use” of HIT.

Provide funding to states and/or state-designated entities to promote widespread and sustained HIE. New York’s designated entity, the New York eHealth Collaborative (NYeC) has been working to develop policies and procedures governing New York State’s HIE infrastructure, the Statewide Health Information Network of New York (SHIN-NY).

Published August 21, 2009

http://www.hanys.org/news/index.cfm?storyid=1147

Mary008
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 10:11am
Looks like your text back to norm
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 10:46am
Health Records On Line Full Steam Ahead

I know some people don't like it...  But Doc's need to get on line and share knowledge...
if my patient has xyz...  I haven't seen this... I'll check what they are doing to help other
patients... not a bad idea... have you ever heard a Doc say?   "I don't do internet."  ?

EMR    Electronic Medical Record
Computerized lifelong health care record for an individual that incorporates data from all sources that provide treatment for the individual.

EHR     Electronic Health Record
Computerized records of one physicians encounters with a patient over time.

I can tell you from my own experience when we had a healthcare crisis with my daughter it was a nightmare (Paperwork). We were sent to multiple facilities and multiple doctors and within a 35 mile radius with each keeping individual records and no one cooesponding well with the other (It was A Mess). In quick order I realized I was going to have to keep a paper record because these facilities and specialists were not coordinating information. I ended up with a briefcase of papers and test results and each time we went to another doctor or specialist we had to go over the whole thing again, felt like a robot by the end.
Our current system is a joke and everyone knows it. More mistakes made because of paperwiork errors than any other medical errors.

Fret not though things are progressing on the software front. There are efforts underway to combine and refine current software suites (Billing and Coding & scheduling) and incorporate new EMR and EHR systems within them. One of the brighter spots of the Bush Admin was starting this initiative.

Some Doctors are on top of this already with seperate software suites.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2009 at 1:51pm

What do we Americans Not Understand about...

A Govt. Takeover Of Health Care  ....    Will Not Cost LESS   ...   ?

How can we help people with Health Care... and still keep the Beast in Check?
.............................................................................................................................

Take it from our friends in the UK-

From The Times

September 3, 2009

Tim Glanfield: Behind the story

(UK National Health Care System)

The NHS is enormous, expensive and still growing

...................................................................................................................

excerpt-

It was always going to be expensive to create a healthcare system for all that was free at

the point of service, but not even the NHS founding fathers could have realised what an

economic colossus it would eventually become.

In 1948 the service had a budget of £437million, about £9billion today. Each year since,

this figure has climbed by more than the rate of inflation, last year the budget topping

£100billion - more than £1,500 for every man, woman and child in the country. Sixty per

cent of this goes on staff and 20 per cent on drugs.

The NHS, with its 1.5million employees, has become the largest employer in the world after

Wal-Mart, Indian Railways and the Chinese People's Liberation Army

article in full here-
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6819259.ece

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2009 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

What do we Americans Not Understand about...

A Govt. Takeover Of Health Care  ....    Will Not Cost LESS   ...   ?

How can we help people with Health Care... and still keep the Beast in Check?
.............................................................................................................................

Take it from our friends in the UK-

From The Times

September 3, 2009

Tim Glanfield: Behind the story

(UK National Health Care System)

The NHS is enormous, expensive and still growing

...................................................................................................................

excerpt-

It was always going to be expensive to create a healthcare system for all that was free at

the point of service, but not even the NHS founding fathers could have realised what an

economic colossus it would eventually become.

In 1948 the service had a budget of £437million, about £9billion today. Each year since,

this figure has climbed by more than the rate of inflation, last year the budget topping

£100billion - more than £1,500 for every man, woman and child in the country. Sixty per

cent of this goes on staff and 20 per cent on drugs.

The NHS, with its 1.5million employees, has become the largest employer in the world after

Wal-Mart, Indian Railways and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army

article in full here-
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6819259.ece

After decades of evolution in health care, America had reached a balance. Much of the health care plans were handled by medical insurance, Medicare, Medical (from Calif.) Medicaid, Social Security- and most hospitals while grumbling handling many patients for free worked when I was a child. My father worked hard, sometimes 20 hours a day and paid heavy taxes. My cousin, a high paid scientist at IBM would watch from 30%-40% of his check go to support the unworking who sometime remain unworking for three generations.

We lived in the heavily populated Silicon Valley, and there were the rich - who truly bore the burden of educating, taking care of, and medicating, the vast wave of immigrants that eventually destroyed the balance.

The upcoming health care plan was unrealistic as it hit the Senate committee, and remains like a house financed with a balloon payment in the stratosphere. Greed and dishonest fueled hospitals where patients were triple billed for that never saw the doctor and were never even in the hospital. This was so common, that upon receiving a hospital bill once when I was more able to deal with such things, I found medications never given, even ones never subscribed even to me, and treatments done to other patients.

As I worked in the health industry for 30 years plus, I saw things would eventually go belly up. You cannot run medical ponzi scheme forever, and that is what it had become.

And so it is like someone who has never fought in a war, commanded men, becoming a general overnight and over vast battalions.  We take a person with little or no medical experience and have them draw up a health care plan.

You are in a recession, and health care is one of the highest priced items to even touch. The only way you could hope to balance the books is to cut benefits feverishly and dump millions into a "looks like we are going to get care but actually- it is not an increase- it is a massive cut in quality and care.

Example a pizza place that used to be 4.00 all you could eat went to 5.00. The place become a ghost town. So they went back to 4.00 but- where was the many types of pasta- the succulent garlic bread- replaced by wisps of dried out (is there any garlic in this?) cold pizza- messy tables- you get what you pay for and this was 200% worse pizza with only a $1 less discount.

Early on it was posted- and it was stated when we talked health professionals- health care is a high price item. Soon after the mist of the 100 days was clearing- someone began to remark - where's the beef?

Basically we cannot afford health care reform. And we can least afford it when we are being hit by a massive expensive of vaccinating America. Where will the money come from? Well they promised not to tax the middle class- and especially the poor. And well, since the rich still do have a lot of influence one might notice those increases in taxing corporations and the rich - did they happen?

Selling health care and prep to America seems to be biographies of great health people who carry hand sanitizers in their pocket. Isn't Swine Flu spread through the air?  Why are people wearing masks?

Will the health care plan put us 1.6 trillion dollars in debt by next year? That was one number I heard.

People are apprehensive. Give us a new plan that covers everyone, don't touch Medicare, don't raise taxes, and decide if someone doesn't look like they are not going to make it 5 years - no treatment- most aggressive cancers in patients that need treatment.

Medclinician

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic