Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Brazil : 58 new deaths confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarieF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brazil : 58 new deaths confirmed
    Posted: August 13 2009 at 11:54am
A/H1N1 flu death toll hits 274 in Brazil

www.chinaview.cn 2009-08-13 09:10:37   Print

RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- Brazilian health authorities Wednesday reported 58 new cases of A/H1N1 flu in the country, bringing the death toll to 274.

So far, Sao Paulo has the highest death toll, with 111 victims, followed by Parana with 58 and Rio Grande do Sul with 55.

With the new figures, Brazil has the third highest death toll in the world, only behind the Unite States and Argentina.

The rise in the death toll led many states extend the winter vacations, which usually take two to three weeks, to the end of August or even early September.

The health authorities said Brazil would import 18 million doses of flu vaccine, of which 1 million will arrive this year, and the remainder in 2010.Meanwhile, Brazil would also produce 30 million doses of the vaccine.

According to the Brazilian Health Ministry's latest report, released on Aug. 5, there were 2,959 confirmed cases of A/H1N1 flu in the country

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-08/13/content_11873487.htm
Marie
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 2:58pm

So far, Sao Paulo has the highest death toll, with 111 victims
...........................................................................................................

(a very small number for a city this size..  a non event compared to other diseases?)

Sao Paulo is a huge sprawling metropolis, the largest city in South America

newgirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 5:45pm
Wow, they are really packed in there! 

I was going to post that it seems like the South American numbers are jumping here lately and then I saw that you say it doesn't seem so bad for a city that size and looking at that picture I have to agree.  Seems if it was really spreading super easily many, many more people would have it and the deaths would be much higher.  Let's hope it doesn't mutate ~ those folks would be in serious trouble living on top of each other like that. 
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 10:37am
yes.... I have seen a number of 20 million for their population in Sao Paulo.
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 6:56am
This is all part of the scare tactic.  If you tell everyone people are dieing like flys, the controlled media will put the spin on it and make it sound worse then it really is - creating a panic and people begging to be vaccinated.
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 9:03am
Brazil is the fifth most populous country in the world right behind Indonesia. The widespread outbreaks of swine flu also seemed to start later than others like Argentina and Chile. We should expect much larger numbers from brazil in both cases and deaths, as they are in their flu season right now.

A worthwhile indicator of things to come for the Northern Hemisphere, but again keeping things in perspective as it relates to population is important.

If you would like more information on South America go here and select link at bottom of page (Regional Update--PDF File), and finally open when promted. Must have adobe Reader intalled on computer (Adobe.com)

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 10:47am
Or here for historical records

Scroll Down

Dated Material (PDF)

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 9:50pm

Deaths from A/H1N1 flu virus reach 342 in Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- The number of deaths from the A/H1N1 flu virus in Brazil has reached 342, local health authorities announced on Monday.

According to the authorities, three new deaths were confirmed on Monday, with two in Rio de Janeiro state in the southeast and one in Santa Catarina state in the south. The victims were an adult male, a female and a seven-year-old boy.

Sao Paulo state has the highest death toll so far with 134 victims. Parana state in the southern part of the country has 79 victims, followed by Rio Grande do Sul state with 70.

Out of the 342 deaths, only six occurred outside the southern and southeastern regions, where the winter has more severe weather.

The rising death toll has forced some public and private schools in several states to extend the winter vacation for one more month. Health authorities also urged patients with flu symptoms to go to the hospital for diagnosis and treatment, instead of taking medicine by themselves.

abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 11:27pm

Along with population size we also have to take economic conditions into account. Haiti is not a large island nor does it have billions of people, but the economy is so bad and the people so poor that most do not ever own a pair of shoes in their lifetimes. This is going to make their death rate appear falsely high.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic