Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Wild food info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wild food info
    Posted: September 29 2009 at 8:32am
SheepLady
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 10:00am
hi... neat post...this has always interested me.   Wanted to go out with a Nat. foods expert and see what we can find in the area to keep alive...  any military here who have done that?

of course at the end of the day...I would want my shower , bed... as I am interested in the
surviving on food part, not finding shelter  :)

this looked interesting..

Recipes

SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 11:14am
Hi, Mary,

The great thing about this site is the pictures.  You would be surprised if you go month to month on her web log you will recognize what our culture considers common weeds, i.e., dandelions, burrs, etc., which are not only edible but good for you.  She even has a section on salting meat.

SheepLady
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 11:30am

we loved this mushroom as kids... my dad would cook this for us... we hunted them as he was thrilled when we found one... they get very large like a huge grapefruit.

(always get expert opinion if you are not a seasoned mushroom hunter!)

The large white mushrooms are edible when young. To distinguish giant puffballs from other species, they must be cut open; edible puffballs will have a solid white interior. Some similar mushrooms have the white interior (or yellowish) but also have the silhouette of a cap-type mushroom on the interior when cut open. These are young cap-type mushrooms and may be poisonous.

wikipedia

File:Puffball%20Mushrooms%20On%20Sale.jpg

Mary008
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 2:26pm

AmericanMushrooms.com - The Death Cap Mushroom (Amanita phalloides)

Be careful with wild mushrooms, some can cause hallucinations and others even death.
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 7:05pm
I went picking wild grapes for the past 2 weeks. If you live in the Northeast USA you will find them growing on fences in most schoolyards and golf courses. Just take a pail and a pair of scissors and you will have a few buckets full in a couple of hours.

I made grape juice concentrate. But be sure to check out the photos of wild grapes and grape leaves in the net. You don't want to pick Poison Ivy berries or other  wild fruit that may be poisonous.

I washed the grape clusters and just covered them with water. Put 1 cup of sugar to each pint of water used, brought them to a boil, then simmered for 15 minutes. Strained them and froze in small  clean Gatorade bottles.
Don't pick off the grapes, keep in their clusters. Boil as is. Wild grapes are not sold commercially.

The wild grapes in my area make a very dark purple juice...high in anthocyanins for the circulatory system...and more.

Lowes has 50-75% off on their grapes and berries now. If you have a fence, buy some grapevines. They are easy to grow and take care of. You'll have fresh juice for years with just a few vines.
I did just catch the swine flu a couple of days ago, but the symptoms are mostly gone now. I have been taking mullein tea, elderberry extract, and drinking my wild grape juice every hour. (Plus taking a lot more remedies)

I hope I am well tomorrow. Time will tell.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 8:00pm
thanks fot the info Wishbone... a lot of what we need is growing all around us :)  
I just found some old marshmallow root...like yrs old, I'll have to look up it's uses.
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 12:50pm
How are you today, Wishbone?
SheepLady
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by SheepLady SheepLady wrote:

How are you today, Wishbone?

I have a slight cough, but take raw honey when I cough. It stops for an hour or two. If I talk on the phone awhile, I start coughing...not too bad.. Am sleepy,but walking around and not doing much.
I am taking naps every few hours. I am watching old movies and old cartoons.

I just got a call from a mooch friend of mine. She said she wanted my elderberry extract for her 'cold'. (free of course) I told her I had thrown it out a few years ago because it  tasted just awful. Evil%20Smile
These people come out of the woodwork when they want something. I never hear from them otherwise.  I made another batch of elderberry extract a month ago. Plus I take the Sambucol every 2 hours.

I take 2 tablespoons of my own elder extract every hour....And 4 cups of mullein tea a day.
So far...so good. No headache. First day I had difficulty breathing, so took a tablespoon of liquid Benadryl immediatly...No problem since. I am taking Benadryl every 3 hours.
I also take cranberry pills and eat 1 can of asparagus a day. So I haven't had the bladder problems some people say they started with. Am taking erythromycin. I had my pneumonia shot in the spring.

I get nauseated once in a while, but take my crystallized ginger right away...and nausea is not a problem either.
I have to eat something every 2 hours, or my symptoms increase. Maybe it's blood sugar levels?

The second day, my intestines started rumbling, so I took 2 Rite-Ade Pepto Bismol tablets. They emptied completly, but have not been a problem since. I am taking 2 tablets morning and night now.
And I drink fluids constantly. Water, milk, homemade wild grape juice, and Gatorade. I am thirsty.
My sinuses are draining. My eyes water, so I am using Opcon-A. That really helps my eyes.
My ears started bothering me, so I put a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil in each one. So the ears are no longer a problem.

And I am keeping the house warmer than usual...and sleeping under an alpaca throw. It is made of hides....very lightweight. The hair is hollow like the polar bear and the caribou..so it is an excellent insulator.  The fur in about 2"-3" long. They sell them on ebay...made in Peru.. Buy one if winters are cold in your area. They are listed under 'alpaca rug'.

I am not leaving the house. I don't need to pick something else up on top of what I have...And I don't need to spread this either.
Unhappy

Are you O.K.?
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 9:46am
HI, Wishbone,

Sounds like you are maintaining, though not pleasantly.   Hope you are still on the mend today.   Sounds like the old remedies are helping.  Sad so much old knowledge has been lost. 

We are well, thanks for asking.  I had mullein just show up in my garden this year and figured it might be wise to dry some.  Have lots, am just waiting. 

As for alpaca, comfort is where you find it.  Have to say I am partial to wool.Tongue  I have too much not to be!!!

Take care, and keep us posted. 

SheepLady
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 11:17am

HI, Wishbone,

Sounds like the old remedies are helping.  Sad so much old knowledge has been lost. 

Take care, and keep us posted. 

I seem to be feeling better this afternoon. The symptoms are abating.
I think that wild grape juice, fresh tomatoes and red peppers I am taking are loaded with vitamin C. I am also taking Zyrtec for my sinuses. I can only stay awake 2-3 hours. I am constantly thirsty.
I can't see how anyone with this flu can work or go to school. Maybe some of the people who are dying were pushing themselves too hard and remained too active.

I just started making the wild grape juice a couple of weeks ago. I wish I was well, because there are a lot more grapes out there yet to be picked. I can't find much info on them, but this site has some researchers:

And this:

Medicinal Uses

The grape has many medicinal properties. Grapes are one of the best known antioxidant foods. Traditionally the sap of grapevines was used by healers to treat skin and eye infections, the leaves were used as a treatment for hemorrhoids, and grapes were used to treat various conditions such as sore throats, nausea, smallpox, cancer, cholera, and kidney and liver disease, among others.

Grape seeds have been found to have many healing properties due to their high phytonutrient content. Resveratrol contained in grape seeds is currently being studied. It is believed that it may inhibit cancer cell production. Grape seeds are believed to be beneficial in treating heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and inflammation.

Other potential healing properties of grape seeds are also being tested. Grape seed extract is being studied for its effects on wound healing, tooth decay, HIV, osteoporosis, skin cancer and sun damage to skin, blood estrogen levels in women, breast cancer, and coronary artery disease. The anthocyanins in grapes work as a natural form of sunscreen.

Wild Grapes

Now, the wild varieties of grape vines in the United States such as the Fox Grape (vitis labrusca) are considered by many to be invasive pests, wrapping around trunks and limbs, strangling and often breaking weaker trees. They can be quite difficult to eradicate because once the vines are well-established, they are strong and if the roots aren’t completely removed they will send up new chutes.

The fruit of the native wild grapes, however, is very well suited for making preserves and wine (if you are up to the challenge of picking.) Typically, the time to harvest wild grapes is in the fall and they become ripe for only 2 to 3 weeks out of the year. The vines tend to snake their way through trees and climb to the tops reaching for the sunlight so they are oftentimes out of reach to the typical human forager, while birds and other tree-climbing wildlife have better access.

If you have a  fence on your property, now is the time to plant grapes. Lowes is having a half off sale on berries and grapevines in my area. I bought Mars and Catawba vines there. The USDA is also distributing berries and cranberries now.
Smile
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 12:03pm
Great post, Wishbone.  I was just showing wild grapes to my granddaughter yesterday.  There are lots hanging low on the fence right now, will have to get them before the deer or birds. They got most of the elderberries.  You are right, now is the time to plant all those things.  Have been thinking about blueberries which seem to do well here.  Will let you know how I make out with my "juice."
SheepLady
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 2:54pm
Going over my post above...I wonder how much resveratrol is in wild grapes...compared to domestic.
Also.. the resveratrol is referred to as "stilbenes":

Judith Strommer, Associate Professor, Plant Agriculture

This two-year-old grape research program focuses on anthocyanins and stilbenes. Among the many secondary metabolites of grape, the anthocyanins are the most obvious and historically of the greatest interest for their role in defining the purple/scarlet/red colours of wines. Together with the closely related stilbenes (resveratrols), they are of increasing interest for their antioxidant activities, as a growing body of evidence supports their therapeutic value in juice and wine. Levels of both classes of polyphenols normally change throughout plant development. This results in patterns characteristic for each variety but also influenced by environmental conditions.

The premise of Dr. Strommer's grape research is that understanding the regulatory basis of anthocyanin/stilbene synthesis can lead to strategies for enhancing levels of these metabolites through simple genetic and/or environmental manipulation. The driving questions are three. First, to what extent do variations in anthocyanins and stilbenes reflect differences in gene expression for their biosynthetic enzymes? Second, what forms of these genes can we identify which affect the accumulation of anthocyanins/stilbenes in desirable ways? Answering these questions should lead to methods for improving varieties through either marker-assisted selection or biotechnology. The third question, with the potential for short-term payoff, is whether we can use what is known about regulation of the anthocyanin and stilbene pathways in other plant species to devise simple cultural strategies for influencing their levels in field-grown grapes. To date, with the help of seed money from Vincor, Intl. and support from ******eau des Charmes, the program has received federal and provinical grants sufficient to get research underway. A Ph.D. scientist and a graduate student are now working full-time on this research, with the help of a part-time undergraduate researchers.

I am drinking at least 1 quart of my wild grape juice daily. (I am sooo thirsty) I wonder how much resveratrol I am taking in...and if it's being utilized against the flu virus.

I am feeling better this afternoon.
I am going to see if I can start more of these wild vines on my fence from seeds and cuttings next spring.

Sleepy
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 5:17pm

In the spring I remember reading the black berries such as mulberries, raspberries and blackberries had the R word also so I spent the summer gathering many of these.  It was a great year for blackberries with all the rain, as big as your thumb and wild and sweet. 

SheepLady
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 12:30pm
Hi, Wishbone, got my grapes today.  Going to start soon.  Hope you are doing well.
SheepLady
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 2:49pm

Hi, Wishbone, got my grapes today.  Going to start soon.  Hope you are doing well.

I am doing much better, thanks, but must now deal with an onslaught of bacterial infections. UTI and upper respiratory, sinus...sigh...Confused
The flu was bad for 5 days.
I have to take it real easy for awhile, stay home, and rest a lot. The herbal remedies worked, and I am glad I added Phenazopyridine HCl to my preps for the UTI I came down with last night..
Shocked

The berries, grapes, and fruit trees are 1/2 off at Home Depot and -75% at Lowes. Very nice plants.

I found a different type of wild grape in my area that are just now ripening 1 month later than the first I found. They are twice as large, but still a very small purple grape. The vine was very old...over 2" thick and hanging to the ground from a huge tree.
I will try to propagate these. I have limited energy now, but this will keep me busy.

The wild grapes are the highest in resveratrol. An attempt is being made to raise the resveratrol levels in domestic grapes by crossing them with the wild grapes...in Canada.
So I figure I might as well just raise my own little wild grapes for now...if I can successsfuly propagate them from seeds and cuttings. If avian flu takes off, these wild grapes might help.
Someone needs to raise these commercially, or promote them in the garden clubs.

I hope everyone else is well and stays healthy.

SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 5:49pm

Hope you keep on the mend.  I had the flu for 3 weeks; did not have any preps.  Hope to be ready this time.

SheepLady
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 6:31pm

hope you are feeling better Wishbone.  Our first house was in the country and we had wild grapes growing on a small hill in the back yard.  My dad visited and showed us what we had....  dogwood, grapes, hickory nut tree, ground pine.  He made us wild grape jelly. the grapes looked similar to this picture...  Now my mom and dad make us crabapple jelly.

everyone try to drink blue/purple juices.  (  we take vit. D3 )

File:P1020403.JPG

SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 6:39pm
Those are lovely.  Ours are much smaller, lol.
SheepLady
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 6:49pm
and after seeing what they grow in the finger lakes... I thought those looked like blueberries :)   we have a blueberry U-pick farm abt. 6 miles from us.  Very popular here...as it rains a lot.   We like Canadian blueberries the best.   Berry pies are big now, we had blueberry pie for breakfast.  (no crust)
Potential anti-disease effects
Researchers have shown that blueberry anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, resveratrol, flavonols, and tannins inhibit mechanisms of cancer cell development and inflammation in vitro.[23][24][25][26] Similar to red grape, some blueberry species contain in their skins significant levels of resveratrol,[27] a phytochemical.

wikipedia
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

hope you are feeling better Wishbone.  Our first house was in the country and we had wild grapes growing on a small hill in the back yard.  the grapes looked similar to this picture... 

everyone try to drink blue/purple juices.  (  we take vit. D3 )

File:P1020403.JPG

I am better this morning, and I am still drinking a quart a day of the wild grape juice. It is a good thing I decided to make a lot of juice. I am also taking Vit D3.
The grapes in my area have a slightly different leaf shape than those in the picture. But the clusters are about the same, very small.
The grapes are very sour and bitter until the sugar is added. It brings out the flavor.
I think they helped me get through the flu symptoms.
I was picking blueberries and raspberries at a local u-pick farm for a month before I came down with the flu.  The blueberries help clear out the cobwebs in the brain. They are anti-inflammatory. The raspberries give me a lot of energy. I have a lot of apricot sauce and juice frozen....from my own tree.

Today I have to pick my  pears and wild peaches.  My wild peaches might be medicinal also. I just never took the time to look into them. They are a very small white freestone peach.... about the size of a crab apple or golf ball.  The tree has dark red leaves all summer and fall.

I bought 6 domestic purple grape vines, but I also took 12 cuttings of the old wild vine I just discovered. I followed this method:

I hope they make it and pop up in the spring. If my domestic grapes succumb to disease and predators, I am thinking the wild ones will be a good back-up.
Berries and grapes are essential to good health.
Smile

SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 10:25am
Wow, thanks, Wishbone.  A dear friend had taught me this method some years back and I had forgotten how to do it.  This helped me remember.  Tongue
SheepLady
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 1:22pm
The sea, lakes. and rivers will offer a great source of wild food in times of need!

More hope and change from Chairman "O"!

Feds to 60 Million American Anglers: We don't need you

IRVINE, Calif. USA – October 5, 2009 – A recently published administration document outlines a structure that could result in closures of sport fishing in salt and freshwater areas across America. The White House created an Inter-agency Oceans Policy Task Force in June and gave them only 90 days to develop a comprehensive federal policy for all U.S. coastal, ocean and Great Lakes waters. Under the guise of ‘protecting’ these areas, the current second phase of the Task Force direction is to develop zoning which may permanently close vast areas of fishing waters nationwide. This is to be completed by December 9, 2009.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/articles/feds_to_60_million.html
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by mrmouse mrmouse wrote:

A recently published administration document outlines a structure that could result in closures of sport fishing in salt and freshwater areas across America. The White House created an Inter-agency Oceans Policy Task Force in June and gave them only 90 days to develop a comprehensive federal policy for all U.S. coastal, ocean and Great Lakes waters.
That is sport fishing, not commercial. It does not mention inland lakes, rivers and large ponds?
Native Americans would still have the right to fish all areas?
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 3:37pm
which may permanently close vast areas of fishing waters nationwide.
Is that because of what the boats of private fishermen are infecting various lakes with?  A type of weed or snail/ barnacle?  Trying to remember...
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 4:49pm

"It does not mention inland lakes, rivers and large ponds?"

A recently published administration document outlines a structure that could result in closures of sport fishing in salt and freshwater areas across America. The White House created an Inter-agency Oceans Policy Task Force in June and gave them only 90 days to develop a comprehensive federal policy for all U.S. coastal, ocean and Great Lakes waters.

"Is that because of what the boats of private fishermen are infecting various lakes with?  A type of weed or snail/ barnacle?  Trying to remember..."

Mary, the snail/barnacle issue is caused by large sea going vessels pumping out their foreign/non-native ballast water from their port of origin into an other.
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 7:03pm

Maybe this...now playing near you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cgOkwW23Y
SheepLady
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 8:32pm
hi...mrmouse... there actually is a problem with fresh water lakes being gummed up with some type of weed?  being dragged along with the boats from lake to lake... ok ...found it :)   mussels rather than barnacles...

Great Lakes scourge infects West - JSOnline
Feb 21, 2009 ... Researchers believe Lake Mead was infested by a pleasure boat carrying mussels ... "Our invasions are spreading like wildfire across the continent. ... starving fish populations and spawning noxious algae outbreaks that have ..... "Transferring cargo between boats, that's probably costly," he says. ...
www.jsonline.com/news/usandworld/40037927.html - Cached - Similar

• [PDF]

Are You Spreading Aquatic Invaders?

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    tion between native and non-native aquatic ... Noxious weeds such as milfoil are typi- cally spread to lakes on boat trailers and fishing ...
    www.co.lincoln.wa.us/.../BOATING%20WEED%20CONTROL.pdf - Similar
  • Plant Industry Noxious Weed Programs

These plants will be found between the low water to high water marks on the ... the surface of lakes and streams, spreading aggressively by vegetative fragments. ... Mats impede boating, fishing, and swimming and clog water intakes for ...
    www.plantboard.org/plant_noxious.html - Cached - Similar
  • [PDF]

Written Findings of the Washington State Noxious Weed Control ...

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
    Leaves: Submerged leaves between 2-4 cm, pinnately dissected ... bodies of water through inadvertent transport of plant fragments on boat propellers or ... this species from spreading from these lakes into others via stem fragments. ...
    your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/.../Myriophyllum-heterophyllum.pdf - Similar
  • Everything Stillwater: Boat Washes on Henrys Lake Will Help ...

Jun 19, 2009 ... Everything Stillwater wrote a note titled Boat Washes on Henrys Lake Will ... of the potential of spreading this invader and know how to identify it. ... or eradicate invasive or noxious weeds in a variety of situations. ...
    www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=107301773776 - Cached - Similar
  • Texas-sized noxious weed threatens state's largest natural lake ...

Jul 30, 2007 ... With most of the growth spreading unchecked on the Louisiana side, ... with a home and boat on Caddo Lake, said he too was there to stay. ...
    www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/.../30iht-lake.1.6893306.html - Cached - Similar
  • Noxious Weeds

At the end of 2001, Eurasian watermilfoil had been found in 133 lakes, rivers, ... It grows to 20 feet with a spreading irregular crown. ... Remove all plant materials from your boat, anchor, trailer and anything that entered the water ...
    www.ci.orono.mn.us/noxious_weeds.htm - Cached - Similar
  • Executive Summary of the Lake Leland Intergrated Aquatic Plant ...

The park includes 22 campsites, a boat ramp, swimming area, and fishing dock. ... is listed as a noxious weed by the Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board. The plant has been steadily spreading since its introduction in the south ...
    www.ecy.wa.gov/Programs/wq/plants/leland/summary.html - Cached - Similar
  • ISDA - Aquatic Noxious Weeds - Canyon County Lakes

______. Photos of the Canyon County Lakes Eurasian Watermilfoil Control Program ... Invasive Eurasian Milfoil hanging from a boat trailer ...
    www.agri.state.id.us/.../NoxiousWeeds/Aquatics_CanyonCoLakes.php - Cached - Similar
  • Pollutants - Lake Whatcom Management Program

Lake Whatcom hosts boaters from all over Washington and Canada. ... According to the Whatcom County Noxious Weed Control Board and Department of ... breaks off can produce a new plant that is equally adaptable and capable of spreading. ...
    www.lakewhatcom.whatcomcounty.org/.../pollutants.shtml - Cached - Similar
    Wishbone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 8:53am

I am planting 6  domestic grape vines today. For anyone that wants to add grapes to their garden....here is a good website that has pruning methods:

SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 9:29am
    Thanks, Wishbone.  We had a heavy frost here on Monday.  The smell of wild grapes was pungent in the air that morning! 

The grapes are still very plentiful.  I made some juice and am going back for more. 

Would be a beautiful day to plant here but we had a monsoon over the weekend and everything is still too wet.  Going to do your method of cuttings, too.

Take care.
    SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 11:28am
    hi all... I thought this would be enjoyed on our wild food thread.  We like to walk in the woods.  Might hunt around for food :)   (vegetarian type)

Wishbone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 4:15pm

The grapes are still very plentiful.  I made some juice and am going back for more. 

Going to do your method of cuttings, too.

Take care.

I planted the domestic grapes, but am also planting wild grape cuttings and will prune them as they grow. Since the wild ones  are higher in resveratrol, I figure they might be the better grape to grow.
    The wild ones are hardy, healthy, and well adapted to this area. If I lose the domestic grapes to disease, I bet the wild ones will survive.

I don't remove the wild grapes from the stems before I simmer them. The wild grape juice helped me a lot in getting through the flu. I had no muscle pains at all, no headache, and no intestinal upsets. How much of that is due to these grapes, I don't know. I did spike my grape juice with a shot of homemade elderberry extract every 3-4 hours for the first 2 weeks. And I made mullein tea 3-4 times a day. And I ate candied ginger  every few hours.

I am almost back to normal now.
    I still have a slight cough and still tire, but not as much as a few days ago.
    I don't think I'll get a swine flu shot.

My son is being offered a choice of Flumist or the shot. He is a police officer. (USA) What do you think is the better choice? He is 32.

Flu is exploding in schools 90 miles from me, but not in my neighborhood schools. They are not closing near me. I am sure they will be closing soon.

I don't plan on going out for a few weeks, unless absolutly necessary.. I don't want to catch pneumonia or a cold on top of this. And I am getting very tired of my own cooking.

(I will be  planting thornless blackberries and cranberries tomorrow that I purchased from the USDA.
    The cranberries are a tiny little plant that sends out runners in all directions along the ground. Interesting little groundcover. If I get enough berries, I am going to make a mixed berry/grape juice concentrate in the future.)

"Think of how silly all the health fanatics will feel one day ... lying in the hospital ...  dying of nothing"
    SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 6:38pm
    Hi, Wishbone,

I did not take the grapes off the stems, just washed them good and got the leaves and critters out that did not belong.  I had forgotten they were supposed to be simmered instead of boiled but they turned out fine anyway.  The jelly is incredible. 

I would liike to plant Catawba and Concord in honor of the Old North State so will be looking to get some of them.  We have highbush cranberry here, not found any yet.  We have also wild black cherries and am going to make some cough syrup from the bark as well as chokecherry jam.  The birds got my elderberries, will have to try to get them earlier next year. 

(Disclaimer here, for anyone who may consider doing the same that if you intend to do anything like this you take your specimen to a local herbalist who can tell you absolutely without a doubt the plant or berries you might have.  Buckthorn looks a lot like chokecherry but it will give a reaction you will never forget if you mistake the two).

As for the mist or shot, I have a very close relative who is retired police and he will take neither.  We have read the shot and the mist carry the weakened form of the virus and it is possible to spread the virus from the mist to others and also to get the flu from the shot. 

So bascially you are between the devil and proverbial deep blue sea with either.  And then your son will have to obey the rules and regs of his dept...for us civilians, guess it will all boil down to whether we can live with or afford the choice we make and who will pay for the healthcare if there are untoward health consequences of either.  A lot to think about.

We have a lot of flu here.  A family member recently went for a prescription and it was a 2-hour wait at Wally's, unheard of for a small town. 

Glad you are doing so much better, the old ways do work, just they have been forgotten for fancier, costlier alternatives.  People are scrambling to relearn them, and you are helping people by showing them how to grow things. 

Just tonight I saw a man and his dog planting.  They had planted virtually the whole front yard in his development in edible growing things.  I think we are onto something here and interest is certainly growing.  Keep up the good work, you are helping us all learn about the virtues of wild food.
    SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 11:25pm

food that we have looked right past...

SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 7:51am
    Very well said, Mary.  Have recently found a recipe for dandelion blossom jelly.  Can't wait till spring to try that.
    SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 12:51pm

File:A%20Village%20near%20Trilokinath%20temple,%20Lahaul.jpg

A Village near Trilokinath temple,  Lahaul, Himachal Pradesh, India

from SheepLady
    dandelion blossom jelly.  Can't wait till spring to try that.

( SheepLady... would you like to share that? :)

I guess they really are all over.... here is a dandelion from India...

File:Taraxacum%20officinale%20in%20Kullu%20distt,%20HP%20W%20IMG%207316.jpg
    SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 5:28pm
    The recipe or the jelly, lol?

Aren't they lovely?

Here is the recipe I liked the most, from a  real pioneer lady...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4561656_make-dandelion-jelly.html#  There are some others on cooks.com. 

I could really get into the yurt thing in the Himalayas, moving the flocks and herds all the time...maybe in the meantime, I could learn some of their techniques. 

Did you know their yurts even have stoves?
    SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 5:54pm
    Thank you...  :)     I know a gift of it will thrill my dad.      

it is beautiful there.... they also have a pretty blue flower...can't think of the name.

Have you seen any youtube videos of anything from the Himalayas/yurts?

noflu4u View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 6:11pm
    I recently noticed that one of the trees in my yard was producing berrys of some kind.
    Red and kinda look like grapes...

Did a little research and voila...

http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News%20columns/Java%20Plum.htm

Java plum or Jambolan

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jambolan.html

Found several recipes for Jam, Jelly, Wine, among others, Next year I plan on a harvest and some experimentation...Wink

Thanks mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 6:29pm
    hi nofluforu... I never heard of it.   I read from the link you gave... great link.
    SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 6:30pm

I am sure your dad will treasure it :)

I saw a documentary once about the nomadic lifestyle of the herders and they showed the yurts.  I was amazed at how welcoming the people seemed to be.

SheepLady
    Wassel View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wassel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 6:24am
    Hello,
    This is my first post in this forum. I'd like to thank all of you for your valuable contribution.
    I have an inquiry about a wild grape specy that grew just next to my work place... I couldn't find out which specy it is...Here are some photos:
    Worth noting the shape of the leaves which does not look like typical grape vine leaves, all leaves became very reddish during November-October and most of them has fallen during that period, the stems are also very reddish, the grapes (dark bleu)  are not sweety and yield a purple juice when squeezed...
    I am very much tempted by Juicing or eating the grapes and leaves for their potential content of procyanins and stilbenes but first I need to check whether they are poisonous ... Thank you for your help.
    Wishbone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 7:57am
    Originally posted by Wassel Wassel wrote:

Hello,
    This is my first post in this forum. I'd like to thank all of you for your valuable contribution.
    I have a inquiry about a wild grape specy that grew just next to our office... I couldn't find out which specy it is... Also I am particularly wondering whether its grapes and leaves are poisonous as I am very much tempted by Jucing or eating them for their potential content of procyanins and stilbenes... Here are links for photos:
    Thanks

A University in your country might be able to identify the wild grapes growing in your area.
    It's best to grow grapes that are native to your country.
    In the USA none of the native wild grapes are poisonous..

I add a little water to my cleaned grapes. I bring my grapes, still on the stem,  to a boil, with sugar added,  in a large kettle and then simmer them for 20 minutes to pasteurize them and kill off any germs. I freeze the juice, but it can be canned. No one sells it commercially in my country.

I would think, that because of the health benefits, a market  could be found for them in your country. They are easy to grow, have small vines, bear a lot of fruit, and are disease resistant.

Grapes are essential to ones health, and the wild grapes are more medicinal than  the domestic. They can be easily grown on fences and wires in the cities and add to the local diet.  But you have to add a lot of sugar to the juice.

Here are some wild grapes growing in my area:

I was  able to find one farm selling wild grape vines in the USA, but there may be more sources.

I took my own cuttings this fall from a very old vine in my area, and placed them in the ground. I hope all 14 come up in the spring. . It was bearing nice plump grapes.

I have one very small vine growing on my fence for years. I got about 5 pounds of grapes from this small vine this year. The vine takes up an area about 5 feet high by 8 feet wide. It does bear a lot of grapes, but very small ones. The juice I made was a concentrate. One quart of the concentrate will make almost 1 gallon of juice.

Next year I will look for more varieties. It is best to wait until the grapes are ripe to pick out the best bearing vines for propagating.
    There are quite a few variations in my  city growing on old fences and trees.
    The juice helps fight gingivis and tooth decay, and is useful in fighting the flu.

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 9:16am

hi wishbone... what are your thoughts on heat used for processing?

I'm trying to find info on how heat during prossessing effects medicinal value.

here is a link to info on a comparison of grape and elderberry.

http://www.nuyakacreek.com/elderberry.htm

Mary008

Wishbone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 9:53am
    Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

hi wishbone... what are your thoughts on heat used for processing?

I'm trying to find info on how heat during prossessing effects medicinal value.

here is a link to info on a comparison of grape and elderberry.

http://www.nuyakacreek.com/elderberry.htm

Mary008

Heat is a problem for the companies making meds to figure out. I don't have the equipment or interest in that. I am  not interested in drinking raw grape juice.
    I  pasteurize my juice because of the insects that have crawled on the grapes, the bacteria, viruses and molds that might be present on them.
    I add sugar to the grapes before boiling, to make sure the sugar is also freer of germs.

I have elderberry shrubs. They take up a large area.
    I like the grapes because they use very little space on my fence to grow. I like to grow a variety of plants. If there is a bad year for one berry plant, then the other will provide the fruit I still need to produce my juice.
    I have fruit trees also. Apricot and pear. I eat raw fruit, but I boil all my juice before I freeze it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic