Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

October prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October prepping
    Posted: October 01 2009 at 5:25am
I hope everyone has completed their prepping!  Hospital tents are being put up, schools are closing, sick people are everywhere, I think we are in for an interesting ride. I have finished my prepping, I just keep topping off my fresh items as time allows. What about everyone else? Have you finished?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 9:10pm
Yep, I am finished and using my preps now. I am so glad I got all that gatorade and coke. As soon as my teen gets tired of the gatorade he will start on the coke. He is not drinking any milk due to the fact it produces more mucus that is a no no right now.

LOL, I even have homemade chicken soup frozen and he ate a big bowl last night because it made him feel better. I feel so good that I did all this and have everything right at my finger tips that he needs to feel better.

I sleep well at night!!
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 8:27am
Our winter garden is in.  I'm going to try to get a few more starts.  I have the room and someone else may need them down the road.  We harvested ALOT of garlic so at least I know we'll keep the vampires away Wink!

Our storage is pretty well set.  We'll be okay for a little while anyway.  I don't have nearly enough animal feed though.  Unfortunately I have to wait for another payday to stock up on hay.  It makes me nervous, however I don't think the trucks wills top running within the next 14 days. 

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
angelausp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelausp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 12:01pm

I read that many U .S. hospitals are opening drive-thrus and drive-up tent clinics to screen and treat swine flu patients in an effort to keep coughing, feverish people out of regular emergency rooms.  Hospitals across the country have seen several hundred patients, and have been able to have them in and out less than 15 minutes.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 1:33pm
We are now ready for winter ...  It only cost us a little over $50.00 to have someone come out to change the battery

for the ignitor hidden in the back... wasn't in the how to light the pilot instructions.

All is well and kitty like's to watch even gas flames... looks real to me.
Mississippi Mama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 9:30pm
Paranoidmom, i understan you being nervous. We have 2 horses. We have decided to let them go to a new home. The new owners was suppose to pick them up today. We haven't heard from them. We told the guy that supplies our hay not to save any for us because we would't have the horses. Now am real nervous. I will make a decision this weekend as to wether we need to plan for them this winter. I don't want to wait until the last minute. Well, this is the last minute for me. I usually have all of their winter hay stocked by the end of August.
Mississippi Mama
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 5:11am
Hi MississippiMama-

We normally would have quite a large stock as well.  However, financial times being what they are....  I knew something had to give so I chose the animal feed.  There isn't usually a panic run on that.

We've had alot of people getting rid of their large animals around here.  I hope things settle for you as you would like with your horses.

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 9:14am

Amish... are getting into solar.

PA Energy ... off the grid...

posters...

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 4:56pm
Thanks, ParanoiddMom, I think they will have a new home by net weekend.
Mississippi Mama
jody05 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 8:56pm
speaking of prepping, we had a nurse visiting today as my husband had just returned home following his bipass surgery. she took one look at our bottled water and said she had never seen so much in one place (we had to bring it up from the basement prior to surgery). I was at a loss as to what to say.
lurking since 2005 with a looong memory
for everything that has transpired on this site!
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 11:28pm
What's that old advice about acting crazy?  people will be afraid of you...and leave you very alone?  "we think aliens have contaminated our water, so now we drink bottled."

I was over at swineflu.org :/   They have an area for deaths but then... there seems to be a lot of data searching for death...to the point of, it's rather depressing to read over there.
It's taking it over.... deaths.   The Govt. is lying and people are dropping like flies?

From what I see they lump all influenza (all types) and all pneumonia (all types)  deaths
all together.    They are up front on that.   Very little flu here...nothing in the papers.

Healwayshasaplan View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healwayshasaplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 5:30am
Sounds strange to do, but when the news hit about Mexico in the beginning my family and I watched the local obits and it was scary as most of them read..."so and so died unexpected in thier sleep after a brief illness." Thought that to be coincidental, then the next week one read " so and so died unexpected in their sleep following a brief illness, followed by his wife two weeks prior, but not before finally getting their dream vacation in Mexico." Yup! That did it for me... I knew then that the numbers wouldn't ever be correct. Continued to read the obits for awhile, but the children that were dieing in their sleep unexpectedly following a breif illness was making my heart weep.. There is no way to ever know the real toll that this has taken on so many families. I personally have lost 4 people within our family in the last two years. All unexpectedly, some with secondary infections after being cleared and said to be doing fine, upon being admitted. My heart and prayers go out to the entire world. -HE ALWAYS HAS A PLAN!

We have added brewers yeast to our stocks just in case the sh... hits the fan and we run out of supplies due to forced quarantines. A good source of nutrition. It has so many uses! You could fry up tree bark with brewers yeast sprinkled on it and I'm sure it would taste pretty good, considering the alternative of nothing!LOL Good luck and God bless!

stayinpositive
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 8:52am

Thumbs%20Up      This is interesting...

Bloggers and others who are paid or give freebies to promote products online will be required to offer some sort of written disclosure for readers, the FTC said, or face possible fines of as much as $11,000 per violation.

Article here-

like... I do mention if I own a bit of stock in a company I write about.  But... my touting a company is not likely to make a difference in share price :)Warren Buffet...I'm not.

Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 5:33pm
My problem is that I'm completely prepped. Maybe over prepped if that can even be done. I actually started prepping over 20 years ago so the swine flu is not really the reason for my prepping.

Lot's of mistakes are made when you first start prepping. Like buying food that you never eat or food that spoils because you bought 1000 pounds of beans and rice. Long term peppers need to buy 30 year shelf life food. Short term peppers can get away with buying what they normally eat in larger quantities as long as they are diligent about rotating their food.

I hardly throw any food away anymore as I've learned the art. Twenty years ago I tossed out 2/3rd's of it when it spoiled.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

Bloggers and others who are paid or give freebies to promote products online will be required to offer some sort of written disclosure for readers, the FTC said, or face possible fines of as much as $11,000 per violation.

Some of the Bloggers are as bad as the drug companies. Any false or misleading claim they can think up to make a buck.

I know I'm going to step on toes but does anyone really believe that homeopathy works? The mind is powerful at healing when you think or know you're getting better. I get that part but to take a product. Then delete it a billion or trillion or more times. So essentially you have no pharmacologically active molecules left. Then claim that potion that is void of anything is going to cure you? People are gullible.
Healwayshasaplan View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healwayshasaplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 6:43pm

Thanks Mary008... I had no idea, just wanted to show the ingredients. I edited my post! We don't want that now do we?!
stayinpositive
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 8:04pm

hi.... didn't mean to direct it at anyone... we all like certain products, and we mention them... to think some people get freebies for it ...cool  (all they have to do is, say so I guess)

and...

does anyone really believe that homeopathy works?

Tech... do you like Scientific American?  ... another fav of mine.

I imagine you know the rudiments on Homeopathy...  as to dilutions...

a while back in Sci Am... they had an article on the French disovery of water having

a memory.  very interesting.   I used to use over the counter for hayfever, I was tired for 2

months in fall.   I so did not like that... for many years now I have been using Pollinosan,..

heaven.    ps....  I don't sell it or get freebies :)

I take this...

Allergy Relief

angelausp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelausp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Technologist Technologist wrote:

[QUOTE=Mary008] I know I'm going to step on toes but does anyone really believe that homeopathy works? The mind is powerful at healing when you think or know you're getting better. I get that part but to take a product. Then delete it a billion or trillion or more times. So essentially you have no pharmacologically active molecules left. Then claim that potion that is void of anything is going to cure you? People are gullible.

What is homeopathy?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by angelausp angelausp wrote:

Originally posted by Technologist Technologist wrote:

[QUOTE=Mary008] I know I'm going to step on toes but does anyone really believe that homeopathy works? The mind is powerful at healing when you think or know you're getting better. I get that part but to take a product. Then delete it a billion or trillion or more times. So essentially you have no pharmacologically active molecules left. Then claim that potion that is void of anything is going to cure you? People are gullible.

What is homeopathy?

I'm not sure if you're joking but it's a $3 billion a year business. In my opinion (others will disagree) the effects are nothing more then taking a placebo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 10:47pm

I agree... it is unusual.  But it keeps my eyes and nose from running all fall ... this allergy is much worse than a cold... and to have it for 3 months is torture  ...so  to be awake and
not have it... pure heaven.   ( do I care what people think of Homeopathy?  no  :)

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

I agree... it is unusual. But it keeps my eyes and nose from running all fall ... this allergy is much worse than a cold... and to have it for 3 months is torture ..so to be awake and

not have it... pure heaven ( do I care what people think of Homeopathy? no :)

If it's working for you then that's all that counts.

If you have allergies I know a ton of stuff that might help you. Working in a Nuclear Plant you learn all types of tricks to keep a clean room clean and how to decontaminate areas. Some simple solutions cost only $20.

If your allergies are pollen, ragweed and seasonal allergies then its pretty easy to cut your symptoms down 90-95%. Pet allergens are a little tougher but can still be minimized.

Do you have central air conditioning where you have a separate vent in each room?

Are your summers dry or humid?

Do you own an evaporative/swamp cooler and are the wet filters like a mat or are they 6-12" thick and have a honeycomb pattern?
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 11:44am

I am looking at a mountain of wood.  They were nice and left me room to park my car.

my question is... my Lawn guy... who used to be in lumber, wants to take off all the lower branches on my 3 trees in the front yard.  I think they are out of control :)  and I am wondering if it is ok to do that this time of year? does it matter?  Has anyone had this done and did your trees do ok after?  My dau is so fond of them... she said, "What are they going to do to my trees?"

my dad told me... this time of year is ok for limb trimming.
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 9:52pm
https://www.dailysteals.com/?utm_source=DailySteals.com+-+Deal+of+the+Day&utm_campaign=4ac164ffa3-10_25_2009_FREE_New_8_In_1_Pocket_Tool&utm_medium=email

here is a link for a free 8 in 1 pocket tool.  The price is right and you can get as many as you want.  One for every member of the family.  A must for your Bug Out Pack.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 3:07pm
Has everyone finished their last minute preps? Next week I will be buying extra gasoline, we will treat it with the proper solution and store if safely away from the house. We will buy white potatoes, sweet potatoes extra garlic, onions and turnip bottoms store them away. I need to take the 2 dogs to the vet next week, buy a few more bottles of bleach. I think I will buy my turkey and lots of cranberry sauce.
Mississippi Mama
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 3:37pm

Mississippi Mama, you have almost the same plan for the week I do. Taking 2 dogs to get their yearly shots, getting my turkey, picking up a few last minute fresh food items, more bleach, extra dog food.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 8:45pm
Penham good to hear from you. Well you know they say great minds think alike. Penham I must admit, sometime I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing with all this prepping. I don't see or hear of anyone else doing anything but hoping things don't get to bad. I asked my husband did he think I was wack3d for doing all of this. He said no but he did think I was crazy for prepping for Y2K. Preparing for Y2K gave us a good base to start prepping for other diasters.
Mississippi Mama
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Mississippi Mama Mississippi Mama wrote:

Penham good to hear from you. Well you know they say great minds think alike. Penham I must admit, sometime I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing with all this prepping. I don't see or hear of anyone else doing anything but hoping things don't get to bad. I asked my husband did he think I was wack3d for doing all of this. He said no but he did think I was crazy for prepping for Y2K. Preparing for Y2K gave us a good base to start prepping for other diasters.

Don't worry about what others are doing.  Just remember -- you can never be too prepared.  The world has changed a lot since the 60s and 70s.  For the last year or so now, the U.S. has been teetering on the edge economically/financially.  This current recession has hit the entire world to varying degrees.

Political instability around the world has increased over the last 9 years or so.  Some of these instabilities are of dictatorial governments who are on the verge of entering the Nuclear Age. 

New viruses are showing up on an ever-increasing regularity -- H1N1, H5N1, MRSAs, SARS, etc.  Old viruses are making a comeback -- TB, pertussis (whooping cough).  These are not good things taking place.

This is a good time to be prepping.  One day when the SHTF for some reason...you'll be thankful that you followed through and kept up with your preps.  You just may survive what is to come.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 8:19pm
Thank you inthesticks. Does anyone know the best way to store sweet potatoes long term if you don't have a root cellar/
Mississippi Mama
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 9:06pm
A while back someone posted on making a root cellat in your basement...

Originally posted by Tenth_Door

Posted: 07 June 2009 at 8:11pm
For those of you who have a basement I offer this superb Basement Root Cellar
It's from an old Reader's Digest book I've had for a long time titled Back To Basics

An 8-foot by 10-foot root cellar will accommodate 60 bushels of produce, more than enough for most families.  Indoor root cellars are the most convenient to use and easiest to build.  Try to use a northeast or northwest corner of your basement that has at least one outside wall and is as far as possible from your oil burner or other heat source.  One north-facing window is desirable for ventilation.  The interior walls of the root cellar should be constructed of wood, and if the basement is heated, they should be insulated. 
The precise amount of insulation needed depends on the average basement temperature, but standard 4-inch-thick fiberglass batting with a foil or plastic vapor barrier should be more than adequate.  Install the insulation with the barrier against the wood.  Add an insulated door and fit the window with shades to block out light.  To keep humidity high, spread 3 inches of gravel on the floor and sprinkle it occasionally with water.  You can also maintain humidity by storing the produce in a closed container, such as a metal can lined with paper. 
------------------
There's other storage techniques that I'll share in the July prepping thread. 
Hope you enjoy this and some are able to use it. 
------------------

If you live in an area where fall and winter temperatures remain near freezing and fluctuate very little, you can store root vegetables, apples, and pears in a wide variety of insulated structures and containers.  These range from a simple mound in the garden to a full-fledged root cellar.  In each case, the storage unit must maintain temperatures in the 30 degree F to 40 degree F range with humidity between 80 and 90 percent.  The high moisture content of the air prevents shriveling due to loss of water by evaporation.  An old-fashioned, unheated basement is an ideal spot for a root cellar, but a modern basement can be used if a northerly corner is available. 
Different vegetables can be stored together in a single container, but fruits should never be stored with vegetables nor should different fruits be stored together.  Be sure to check stored produce every week or two, and cull out any that is spoiling. 
In addition to the basement, many warmer areas within the house can be utilized for preserving crops.  Onions, pumpkins, and squash, for example, do best at temperatures between 50 degrees F and 55 degrees F with a humidity of 60 to 70 percent.  An unheated attic or an upstairs room that is closed off for the winter months are excellent storage sites for these vegetables. 
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 5:28am
Thanks Mary,   I love this idea.   I have already decided that my next house (hopefully in next few years) will have a basement. 

I have been trying to think of a way to store root veggies in the garage during the winter. I don't have a northerly (or any ) window though. I was thinking of  stirafoam coolers but sounds like that wont work. I just wanted to store some extra root veggies.  Any other ideas ? 
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 8:47pm
Can anyone tell me if I can store root vegetables in those 5 galllon buckets, layer them in between with newspaper and put the top on them, and keep them in the house for a long peroid of time. Will they freeze if i put them out in the unheated shed? Thanks for any advice.
Mississippi Mama
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 3:03am
Hey Mary,I have that same book!
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic