Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Is Swine a Real Threat or Just Hype

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Swine a Real Threat or Just Hype
    Posted: October 11 2009 at 2:17pm
Although we are being told to be mass vaccinated- some say the entire deal with a Pandemic is no worse than seasonal flu. As opposed to other real killers, heart disease, TB, as well a economic problems, social security and other issues- are we putting two much attention and effort which should be focused on problems at home while the flu may kill less people than the usual seasonal flu. Is it all hype or are we in danger? 
SouthTexas View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 2:27pm
The public is getting mixed mesages. 

On the one hand we are hearing "It's a mild flu.  You may have gotten it or will get it and not even know it." 

On the other hand we are hearing 250 million vaccines have been ordered and you are advised to take it.
The Lord be magnified.
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 5:23pm
The swine flu is real but the death toll "so far" is much less then previously expected. The majority of the population will probably catch it but the severity is generally less then the seasonal flu. You can get the vaccine and not be sick for a week or you can chance it and gamble with 1:10,000 or so odds that you will die. If you're younger your odds of dying are higher but they are still relatively low compared to dying on the freeway.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:01pm
250 million vaccines have been ordered and you are advised to take it.
They did spend Billions... in case it was a biggie... it wasn't... but a good test run....
not to mention that some are at risk and will want the vaccine?

are still relatively low compared to dying on the freeway.

such a way with words :)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:20pm
This H1N1 is not a big killer and I hope it stays that way. I still believe that the CDC and who ever TPTB have proven they can come up with a viable vaccine within 9 months and they will have 200 million doses distributed by Feb/March.

Yes the messages are mixed...my kid has had H1N1 and I may get it but I had the H1N1 vaccine in 1976 and may still have some resistance. I will have to wait until others more needy get the shot and by that time we will know if there are any adverse reactions.   I am glad I do not have to make the decision for my child...shot or no shot.

I know many dooms day people do not like that I am saying that if we have to SIP because of a deadly flu virus we will only need 12 months. Survival blogs have people purchasing land out in the middle of no where. Great if you have millions or don't need to work for a living.   But I now have more confidence that if H5N1 goes H2H and is deadly the CDC and "others" will do their best to save as many as they can.

Now that is not to say people who are prepped for more time are wrong because there could be food shortages, or other problems the world may have and they are prepped.

I am a true believer in prepping I just am a person who prays that no one ever really needs their preps. I sleep at night knowing I have food that will be there for me and my child for 15 - 20 years, we will have a way to have potable water and heat/cooking methods that work.

One thing that I have learned in my 60 years is Crap Happens and it is not fun if you are not ready.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:32pm
....and thanks for the info on freeze dried foods in cans.... no more expired food for us.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

250 million vaccines have been ordered and you are advised to take it.
They did spend Billions... in case it was a biggie... it wasn't... but a good test run....

not to mention that some are at risk and will want the vaccine?

are still relatively low compared to dying on the freeway.

such a way with words :)

Two weeks ago people were telling us the vaccine will be mandatory and forced vaccinations to all citizens. They argued that most people will not want to get the vaccine. I was telling them that we will have a shortage and we will probably see long lines of people lined up to get the vaccine. Just like the Xbox and Iphone lines.

When I put the link to the study that 75% of adults want their children vaccinated. Most in this forum said I was wrong and the study was flawed. Now people are overloading phone systems trying to get the vaccine. It's a balance of supply and demand and people now want what they can't have.

Now the topic is not mandatory vaccines but where can I get the vaccine?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Where to Get a Flu Shot Is Big Worry of Season

-snip-

And across the country, state and local health hot lines are jammed and message boards are lighting up with one question: When can I get my vaccination?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/health/policy/12states.html
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:09pm

I was telling them that we will have a shortage and we will probably see long lines of people lined up to get the vaccine.

we really don't have a shortage.    There are all kinds of interesting H1N1v pandemic
vaccines available.   They're just are not anything people want to take.  They are too experimental.  The fatality rate would have to be much higher for them to declare an emergency and roll them out.   It isn't ... and I imagine they won't unless people clammer for experimental vacs.  They are sending out the safer non injectable more conventionaly
made vacs first...one with lower side effects.... people will feel safer and then they may try the newer types on the public.  We will see.  (so there is a shortage of a type...the old style egg based vacs for H1N1vpandemic)

My parents asked me about the vaccine... and the word on it is... the over 65 crowed won't get any until all the vulnerables are served....  as there is a claimed immunity? 
I gave the info with a link... now at level 6.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:24pm
The most imaginative marketing teams plan out shortages to increase the demand. Xbox, Iphone, Wii, beanie babies and now Vaccines. If you can't get people to voluntarily buy it. You make a thought out plan that get's people lined up to buy.

Even nightclubs do this. They might be at 30-50% capacity but they make sure to have 20-100 people standing in line. People see the line and say. Wow look at the line, That's an awesome Club! Quick get in line!
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 6:14am
My parents asked me about the vaccine... and the word on it is... the over 65 crowed won't get any until all the vulnerables are served....  as there is a claimed immunity?

Mary, who is putting out this information?  I am over 65 and i dont mind not getting the shot, but what makes anyone think i am immune?  I do believe I had the flu last spring but that would be the only reason I would be immune.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by 4=laro 4=laro wrote:

My parents asked me about the vaccine... and the word on it is... the
over 65 crowed won't get any until all the vulnerables are served.... 
as there is a claimed immunity? Mary, who is putting out this information?  I am over 65 and i dont mind not getting the shot, but what makes anyone think i am immune?  I do believe I had the flu last spring but that would be the only reason I would be immune.

I stole this from a Post I did yesterday.

The answer to why seniors are being delayed in their receipt of the vaccine is twofold: There is a limited supply being made available and seniors are believed to have a preexisting immunity.

Spanish flu exposure
The Centers for Disease Control supports their assertion that immunity exists by reasoning that seniors, especially those older than 60, might have been exposed to the Spanish influenza in 1918 and Asian influenza in 1957. CDC also points out that from all swine flu cases in the United States, 64 percent of them were found in people within the ages of 5-24 and only one percent of virus cases were found in people older than 65.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 11:17am

PigPigPig' Flu  in the News...

Oct 11, 1:12 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP)

excerpt-

...Schuc h a t  says  there's no problem associated with getting shots for both the swine flu

and seasonal flu on the same day. But health officials recommend a three-week period

between receiving the nasal versions of the vaccines.

Mary008
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 2:09am
I for one am not seeing any consistancy in the areas I am in. We have the mist, but healthy kids are getting it, pregnant women have not been treated or sick kids because they have no vaccine, and not only do they not have swine vaccine, they do not have much seasonal vaccine. My daughter tells me it is the same for Kansas and MO. The flu is rampant here, so if they do not get the vaccine out soon, it will be too late for most.
Dr.Who View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 6:36am
I see it as both hype and appropriate.

The gov is not hyping death they are hyping vaccines. And that correlates well with the fact that this pandemic is not a killer but could become one. Masses of people getting vaccinated may help to avoid this becoming a killer - maybe not.

I do have to admit that the hype fits very well with the fact that some people are going to make a lot of money selling vaccine. Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

Joking aside, it is fortunate that the hype fits with the reality. If it were the other way around and tons of money were to be lost by advocating vaccines it would be an uphill road.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Technologist Technologist wrote:

Two weeks ago people were telling us the vaccine will be mandatory and forced vaccinations to all citizens. They argued that most people will not want to get the vaccine. I was telling them that we will have a shortage and we will probably see long lines of people lined up to get the vaccine. Just like the Xbox and Iphone lines.

Quoting myself

The long Xbox, Iphone type lines have started...

More Than 2,000 Stand in Line for H1N1 Vaccine

Monday, October 19, 2009

More than 2,600 people stood in line — sometimes longer than two hours — to be among the first in southern Nevada to get the injectable swine flu vaccine.

Gwen Osburn, community health nurse at the Southern Nevada Health District, said more than 300 people were vaccinated in the first hour after opening on Saturday.

The health district has received more than 48,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine, including an initial delivery of 20,000 FluMist doses, which are administered through the nose.

About 11,000 doses have been distributed to doctors' offices in Clark County that serve at-risk populations.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 2:08pm
I guess we have to wait and see if it's going to be a "big killer" flu season officially just started a few days ago, this is typically when the weather gets colder and we see more flu virus. What we have seen so far has just been stuff hanging around in the warm weather, I think we are in for a big surprise (and not in a good way) here in the near future. We have already had more pediatric deaths over the summer from H1N1 than the entire year (pediatric) from flu last year and we still have 7 months to go of the "official" flu season.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 3:34pm
I guess we have to wait and see if it's going to be a "big killer" flu season

I agree... we have very liitle in NYS at the moment.  I'm waiting as I mentioned... for the back to school after the Holiday height...which is about the beginning of January.

we did not have a mild flu version in the summer...  it was weeks to feeling better.

we do have a lot of pediatric deaths from

Resp. related disease in winter...as a norm (sadly) and it is all being lumped together with

H1N1 2009 Pandemic...  We were off the chart for pneumonia in 2008. 

Higher rate than now.

See how it is combined....  it would be rather low for influenza otherwise...

Pneumonia%20And%20Influenza%20Mortality
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 7:36pm

Quoting myself

The long Xbox, Iphone type lines have started...

More Than 2,000 Stand in Line for H1N1 Vaccine

Monday, October 19, 2009

More than 2,600 people stood in line — sometimes longer than two hours — to be among the first in southern Nevada to get the injectable swine flu vaccine.

Gwen Osburn, community health nurse at the Southern Nevada Health District, said more than 300 people were vaccinated in the first hour after opening on Saturday.

The health district has received more than 48,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine, including an initial delivery of 20,000 FluMist doses, which are administered through the nose.

About 11,000 doses have been distributed to doctors' offices in Clark County that serve at-risk populations.

I really hate to post this; however, the post about people standing in long lines to get this flu vaccine...is eerily similar to what took place in the movie "Invasion", which came out a year or so ago.  That movie loosely based on the old "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" movie, except it has been completely modernized and is really good, if not creepy.
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by inthesticks inthesticks wrote:

I really hate to post this; however, the post about people standing in long lines to get this flu vaccine...is eerily similar to what took place in the movie "Invasion", which came out a year or so ago.  That movie loosely based on the old "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" movie, except it has been completely modernized and is really good, if not creepy.

INS- what do you think? Do you think we have a real problem here or not? We have had two more reports of young children dying in a few days from this with a rapid onset strain. There are no big lines here for the vaccine and in a number of areas the turnout is lower.

So where do you stand on this? Do you think there is no real issue even though many of the family here are pretty sick- or should everyone be vaccinated? Have you got your vaccine seasonal or otherwise yet?

Med
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic