Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Earthquakes.... And what's up in New York State?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Earthquakes.... And what's up in New York State?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earthquakes.... And what's up in New York State?
    Posted: January 09 2010 at 7:03pm
...!!

Eleven Earhquakes last 24 Hours,

Around (and Offshore) Eureka California

L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

6.5 earthquake near Eureka, Calif., snaps power lines and topples

January 9, 2010 |  5:50 pm

A strong earthquake, estimated magnitude 6.5, rocked the Eureka,
Calif., area this afternoon, snapping power lines, toppling televisions,

disrupting power throughout the region and forcing the evacuation of at
least one mall.
The earthquake was centered under the Pacific Ocean, about 25 miles southwest of Eureka, at 4:27 p.m. A tsunami was not expected, according to the National Weather Service.

[Updated 5:57 p.m.: The California Highway Patrol in Eureka reported no major damage to roads and bridges and highways and said roads are open.
"Right now it's very preliminary but there does not seem to be any damage that is overly significant." said Capt. Dale Cannon. "We've got some minor glass breakage, some gas mains affected and some power lines down."

He said he has not heard of reports of any injuries.]
[Updated: 6:27 p.m.: The California Emergency Management Agency said there has been no call from the Eureka area for emergency assistance  because only minimal damage has been reported.

"We've had some reports of minor damage, cosmetic damage, windows broken," said  Kelly Huston, assistant secretary of the agency. "But so far, it's all very minor, and no damage as far as we can tell to roadways and thoroughfares."

The last major earthquake in the area was a magnitude 7.2 tremor on April 25, 1992, which caused some injuries, Huston said. That quake occurred in roughly the same area offshore and triggered a small tsunami, followed by two strong aftershocks.]

“It was a monstrous one,” said Phil Burns, owner of Mity Nice Bakery Cafe Restaurant in Eureka, which suffered no major damage. “I’ve been through a lot of these and usually they’re sharp but this one was very wiggly; it was rolling in all directions.”
Burns said it took his mother half an hour to be evacuated from the Bayshore Mall.

William Bowman, 60, was at home in the south Eureka fishing village of King Salmon - about 10 miles from the epicenter — when the quake hit, shattering heirloom dishware and toppling a television.

“I hit the floor,” he said. “It was a long one. I thought the house was coming down.”
The shaking lasted about 10 seconds, snapping power lines and knocking out power throughout the isolated seaside community of about 750. When it stopped, people gathered in the street. Some were visibly panic-stricken. Others yelled, "You all right?" in the direction of neighbor’s homes.

The next sounds Bowman heard was that of engines revving as people began to stream out of the village on its only access road, racing toward what he described as “the closest higher ground, 150-foot high Bell Hill.”
Bowman and his wife, however, drove to their restaurant in the nearby community of Cutten.

“We lost a few nice bottles of wine,” he said.
A newly installed tsunami warning system was not activated.
Some neighborhoods appeared to be calm. Eureka Mayor Virginia Bass said of her neighborhood, "I don't see smoke. I don't hear sirens all over the place. My phones are working and the power is on." 
Continue reading »
More in: Earthquakes, Northern California Permalink
 Comments (3)
ShareThis
Share6.5 earthquake reported off of Eureka, Calif. [Updated]

January 9, 2010 |  4:52 pm

An earthquake with an estimated magnitude of 6.5 occurred about 25 miles southwest of Eureka, Calif., at 4:27 p.m.
Preliminary reports indicate the earthquake, along the Russ fault, was felt as far away as San Francisco.

[Updated: 5 p.m.: Sandra Hall, owner of Antiques and Goodies in Eureka, said the quake moved her shop in all directions.

Her store is now littered with broken lamps, dishes, and wardrobe items. She said there were at least four people in her store when the quake struck.  A couple managed to run out of the store’s main entrance, while two women took cover under a table.  

“We’ve been through a lot of earthquakes but I can’t recall there ever being any this bad,” Hall said.]
[

Updated, 5:06 p.m.: A tsunami is not expected, according to the National Weather Service. Power is out in at least one neighborhood in the Eureka area, a resident said. Two aftershocks have been detected, magnitude 3.8 and 3.7.]
-- Ruben Vives, Geoffrey Mohan and Rong-Gong Lin II
Map: USGS

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 7:05pm
WOW! Man I would not like to live in California, I was in one small quake and that was enough for me.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 7:31pm

Another method of detecting a nuclear blast is by seismograph, the device that monitors Earth tremors to pinpoint and analyze earthquake activity (among other ground-shaking events). There's actually a whole network of 500 seismograph stations positioned around the world whose job is to report ground-shaking incidents, and that includes any evidence of bomb blasts. NPR's "Detecting Underground Nuclear Blasts"

reports that the seismic activity recorded on Monday indicated a ground disturbance that would be the equivalent of a 4.2 magnitude earthquake. That magnitude indicates a blast with about a 1-kiloton yield, which is equal to the power of 1,000 tons of TNT.

Figuring out if a seismic event is an earthquake or a bomb blast is relatively easy. Scientists perform analyses of wave patterns that can accurately confirm an earthquake-versus-explosion determination. In highly simplified terms, in an earthquake, the ground starts shaking slowly as plates slide against each other, and then the seismic activity slow picks up as the ground really starts to move. In an explosion scenario, the initial blast is extremely power­ful, and the subsequent shaking of the ground grows progressively less severe.

But figuring out it's a blast and not an earthquake is only part of the process; seismographs can't really determine if the blast was nuclear or conventional in nature. Also, it's possible to "hide" a nuclear blast, for instance by detonating it in a tremendous underground cavity,

which decreases the effects on the ground because the blast's energy goes into compressing all that gas in the huge hole. These limitations in the seismograph system make atmospheric testing a necessary component in the detection system.

For more information on nuclear bombs, radioactive fallout, nuclear-blast detection methods and related topics, check out the links on the next page. ­

also see what happened on the seismometer in Ithaca NY tonight....

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 7:43pm

Is anyone 20 miles SW of Albany NY ?

mild quakes... Felt any tremors?

What is 20 miles SW of Albany NY?

At a consistent Depth of 4 to 6 miles?

Any Gas Drilling Around there?

MAP 3.1  2009/12/13 17:00:50 42.573N 74.108W 10.0   32 km (20 mi) SW  of Albany,NY
map 2.6  2009/12/13 16:10:48 42.569N 74.108W 10.0   32 km (20 mi) SW  of Albany,NY

map 2.9  2009/10/20 21:32:43 42.572N 74.104W  6.8   32 km (20 mi) SW  of Albany,NY
map 2.0  2009/10/20 21:32:22 42.572N 74.104W 10.0   32 km (20 mi) SW  of Albany,NY
map 1.8  2009/10/20 15:04:08 42.580N 74.139W 10.0   34 km (21 mi) SW  of Albany,NY

map 1.8  2009/08/22 03:37:17 42.572N 74.092W 10.0   31 km (19 mi) SW  of Albany,NY

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 7:51pm
  •  

• WNYC - News - City Disagrees with Albany About Gas Drilling Near ...

NEW YORK, NY October 24, 2009 —The Bloomberg administration says Albany's plan to allow natural gas drilling near drinking water reservoirs would leave the ...
    www.wnyc.org/news/articles/143180 - Cached
  • EPA concerned about N.Y. shale-gas drilling. - NewsFeed Researcher ...

"EPA has serious reservations about whether gas drilling in the New York City ... damage not only to city reservoirs, but to streams and lakes around the state. ... ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The Environmental Protection Agency says New York ...
    newsfeedresearcher.com/data/articles_b1/drilling-city-water.html - Cached
  • Objecting to Natural Gas Drilling Around New York's - NYS Senator ...

Nov 10, 2009 ... While the dSGEIS demonstrates that the agency has studied the catastrophes associated with natural gas drilling around the nation, ...
    www.tomduane.com/news_2009/public.../dSGEIS%20DEC.html - Cached
  • Albany, NY - NYC: Gas Drilling Risks in Catskills 'Unacceptable ...

Dec 24, 2009 ... Albany, NY - New York City's Department of Environmental Protection called on state officials to ban natural gas drilling in the Catskills ...
    www.vosizneias.com/.../albany-ny-nyc-gas-drilling-risks-in-catskills-unacceptable - Cached
  • RIGZONE - New York City Calls for New Natural Gas Drilling Regulations

Dec 24, 2009 ... New York City Calls for New Natural Gas Drilling Regulations. by Brian Nearing, Albany Times Union, N.Y.. |. Times Union, Albany, N.Y. ...
    www.rigzone.com/NEWS/article.asp?a_id=84668 - Cached
  • Gas Drilling Vs. Drinking Water: New York City Consultant's Report ...

Oct 7, 2009 ... Gas Drilling Vs. Drinking Water: New York City Consultant's Report Sets Stage for Fight With Albany. by Abrahm Lustgarten, ProPublica ...
    www.propublica.org/.../gas-drilling-vs-drinking-water-new-york-city-fight-with-albany - Cached - Similar
  • Natural Gas Drilling in New York

Sign the petition to ban natural gas drilling in NY State by clicking on the .... in how oil and gas drilling is done on and around Devil's Spring ranch. ...
    www.squidoo.com/fracbusters - Cached
  • 'Hydrofracking:' Toxic gas-drilling technique -- Page 1 -- Times ...

AROUND NY. » Former health chief dies. » New gas wells, more chemicals ... At least nine companies are pursuing drilling rights in New York, Pennsylvania and the southern ... In New Mexico, oil and gas drilling projects that use waste pits, ... Capital Newspapers Division of The Hearst Corporation, Albany, NY ...
    www.timesunion.com/ASPStories/story.asp?StoryID=705332 - Cached - Similar
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 8:04pm
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 8:09pm

Ok... so they have tomorrows Date on this activity  for New York....

but we know it happened... tonight,  our cat went wild before it happened...

I can't find any info for this reading... nothing showing for it... i thought I saw it near Albany... but now there is nothing?

perhaps i dreamed it...

[/QUOTE]

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 8:53pm
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 9:37pm
    Hi Mary,
    I should have put my info links and news on NOthern California quake here....instead I put it under your drilling thread on the other "flu post" in this forum.  errr sorry.  It really is interesting reading.....How a team of geologists have found a relationship between Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquakes and the ones in the Northern San Andreas Fault.
    TIP.
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 9:42pm
     hi Tip... anywhere is fine.  I do have an interest in all quakes... especially around here

where they want to riddle the state with gas wells ...ignoring the seismic activity.

They do not do any sophisticated testing ahead...  we don't have answers for 4 to 6 miles

below the surface quakes on a regular basis... any ideas?

I don't understand why the map shows quakes in California ... in the last hour... but a

quake that happened in NYS yesterday... shows nothing.

from what I see the  quake yesterday was located near Plattsburg NY...again.  

What is going on there near Plattsburg?  

this quake was also located near Plattsburgh in 2002...

below...

map not showing recent New york quake...

source

Magnitude 5.1 Earthquake Strikes Near Plattsburgh, New York

Shaking Felt Throughout New York State and Northeast

BUFFALO, NY … Many residents of New York State and the northeast United States awoke the morning of April 20, 2002 to the rumbling of an earthquake. According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the earthquake struck at 6:50 a.m. (EDT), approximately 15 miles southwest of Plattsburgh, New York. The USGS reported a preliminary magnitude of 5.1. Plattsburgh is located in New York State's Adirondack Mountain region, an area of relatively frequent seismic activity.

Shaking was felt throughout New England, and as far west as Cleveland, Ohio; as far south as Baltimore, Maryland; and as far north as Quebec, Canada. The earthquake was epicentered at 44 degrees 5 minutes north latitude and 73 degrees 7 minutes west longitude. It was measured at a shallow depth of five kilometers. There were reports of minor damage in the epicentral area. A bridge was damaged in Jay, New York, and road damage was reported in Keeseville, New York. A chimney was reported damaged in Lake Placid, and a window and foundation were cracked in Au Sable Forks, New York. The earthquake was similar in size to one which occurred approximately 80 miles to the southwest, near Blue Mountain Lake, New York, in October of 1983. Scientists are interested in learning what people may have experienced or observed during the earthquake, so that they can gain a more complete understanding of the event. Those who felt the earthquake can report what they experienced, by visiting the USGS online at http://earthquake.usgs.gov

Additional information is available online at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2002/deam

TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 9:56pm
    Hi Mary,  where did you first hear of the quake in this area of NY?
    Tip.
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:02pm
    Maybe it was smaller than a 2.5 and it didn't get registered?  I think if it's below 2 they don't put it on right away.   But here is one link to some of the quakes in the past month in New England.

TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:04pm
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:06pm
    our cat acted odd... and it wasn't letting up, doing crazy things to get our attention. so I said I wonder if we will have an earthquake?  (read abt pets in Calif so it was in my mind)  and I had just put up that drilling stuff and the seismic activity... so i went to the computer to have a look later in the evening... and saw the large red activity.  weird.   and I can't find info on it... nothing that correlates... like.. it shows a 2.0 quake north west of plattsburg...  seems it should be greater than 2...  I'm checking on that now...to compare.

this can't be it anyway... wrong date.

northwest of plattsburg...
    Magnitude 2.0 - NEW YORK
    2010 January 06 15:28:59 UTC
     burke ny near malone ny

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:08pm
    not seeing latest quakes for NY here...

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:10pm

here is another...  depth is usually 4 to 6 miles.

Event Type: Earthquake
    Region: 34 km W of Plattsburgh, NY
    Date-Time: 1/04/2010 00:20:44.63 (UTC)
    Date-Time: 1/03/2010 19:20:44.63 (EST)
    Magnitude: 1.8 (Mc - Coda Duration)
    Latitude: 44.586 N
    Longitude: 73.846 W
    Depth: 10 km

TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:11pm
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/ld1025503.php
    The USGS is only showing a 2.0 from January 6th. near Burke, NY.
    Nothing is posted for the location you mentioned above for yesterday.
    It is odd I agree.  I would think they would have to list all quakes whether man-made or otherwise.  Initially they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  I am wondering if it was something to do with drilling and the USGS was ordered to clear it off after initially posting it so that no record would exist for enviornmentalist to sink their teeth into?  I wouldn't put it past the government to do such a thing....and well...the USGS is a government angency is it not?  Other than the theory above I have no clue as to why it's not there. sorry....but will keep my eyes out for ya! Tip
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:14pm

thanks...

I thought that too... not showing small ones... but then I found small ones :)

here is a comparison...  what do you think?   I don't think the red one looks like a 2...seems like a 4?

It happened last night about 8pm...approx...

VERTICAL

TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:24pm
    ok so you have a seismic record here for Jan 9.  the 10 being UTC time.  So it was yesterday or I mean the day before since its now technically the 11th.

The verticle movement was there and it's substancial but I am not sure how big!  But it didn't get recorded as an earthquake.  So maybe it was due to a man made event and then taken off the general earthquake general map?
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:31pm

showing here a 2.0 last week... but this is a map of ...real time events.

this reading was taken in Ithaca.  

here is another reading for that day...  meaning January 9th...

this is North South reading.

Magnitude 3.1 - duration magnitude (Md)
    Time Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 5:00:50 PM (EST)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 22:00:50 (UTC)
    Distance from Albany,NY - 32 km (20 miles) SW (232 degrees)
    Schenectady,NY - 34 km (21 miles) SSW (205 degrees)
    Pittsfield,MA - 84 km (52 miles) WNW (295 degrees)
    Coordinates 42 deg. 34.4 min. N (42.573N), 74 deg. 6.5 min. W ( 74.108W)
    Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)
    Quality Fair
    Location Quality Parameters Nst= 21, Nph= 43, Dmin=27.4 km, Rmss=0.2 sec, Erho=0.2 km, Erzz=0.4 km, Gp=72 degrees
    Event ID# ld1025411
    Additional Information map
    Did you feel it?
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:33pm
    This event that was recorded lasted for over 25 minutes.  It didn't even start out small.  It started out as a bang at the 5 minute mark and then hit a big crest between 18 and 24 minutes.  I would compare this to a real known earthquake seismic map like the ones from Norhern California yesterday and see if the patterns are visably similar. 
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:39pm
    http://quake.usgs.gov/recent/helicorders/
    this should help you read the seismic scale better.  It has examples of different quake events and what they would look like.
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:44pm
    Well after looking at other earthquake maps Mary, this one does look like an earthquake.  It has the same characteristics as others all over the world.  I really don't know what to tell you?  Tip
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:56pm

I would like to know where it was located?  epicenter? 

you need 3 readings to triangulate...

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

East west reading at Ithaca..

here is a reading from..

Vertical..

Millersville University, Pennsylvania

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 11:01pm
    other people don't find info for quakes around ALBANY...

PSN-L Email List Message

Subject: Re: Earthquake near Albany, NY, U.S ?
    Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:43:02 -0700

Hi Jon -

Here is a link to the other stations at Lamont-Daugherty.  Click on station
    HCNY.  It is located about 30 miles west of Albany, NY, and UTC time is
    located on the right side of the chart.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/LCSN/view_pal.html

Bob Hancock

On 10/14/07 7:36 AM, "J=F3n Fr=EDmann"  wrote:

> Hi all
    >=20
    > I have a friend how lives in Albany, N.Y in the U.S. He tells me that he
    > felt two earthquake like shocks around 2 am local time, they where each
    > with about five min, intervals.
    >=20
    > I did look for earthquakes on the usgs web page but I didn't find
    > anything there.
    >=20
    > Regards.

Public Seismic Network Mailing List (PSN-L)

TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 11:48pm
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 11:54pm

shows nothing?    why did they put it up the night of the 9th  with the date of the 10th?

I looked at it on their site about 9:30 pm...   and thought it was odd to see the date of January 10 th on it.

when I put it up here the evening of the 9th...only the upper part of the page was filled in.

TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 12:08am
    good question Mary, it is the North component for the same area and same time.  it's odd
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 12:11am
    http://almaty.ldgo.columbia.edu:8080/WebHeli/PRNY/PRNY_BHN_LD.2010011000.gif
    Sorry Mary you're right wrong date my fault.  Hereis the North south component for that date
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 12:12am
    waterboy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 6:35am
    Almost 700 quakes in one week?
    Check out map below.

Technologist View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 6:54am
    Originally posted by waterboy waterboy wrote:

Almost 700 quakes in one week?
    Check out map below.

This is a view of the entire USA and you can see how much activity is in CA compared to the rest of the country.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

This is a July 2009 story but it talks about increased activity is a prediction of future larger quakes. Not in the same spot but we seem to be getting a good deal of tremors across CA. Maybe CA will be divided in two and become two states :)

East and West California. The only problem is that you would need a boat to reach West California. Pangaea part two!

***********************************************************************************************
    The researchers conclude that the increased rate of tremors may indicate that stress is accumulating more rapidly than in the past along this segment of the San Andreas Fault, which is at risk of breaking like it did in 1857 to produce the great 7.8 magnitude Fort Tejon earthquake. Strong quakes have also occurred just to the northwest along the Parkfield segment of the San Andreas about every 20 to 30 years.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090709140817.htm
    TipKat View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 8:35pm
    Hi Mary, if your getting a good bit of activity then where or what fault lines are around the eastern seaboard? Tip
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 10:06pm

hi... i checked that last night :)    and ... there aren't any....near by...  Here is a world map

of the tectonic plates... we on the east coast have nothing to compare with california... a

brave group there.

Lamont-Doherty Cooperative Seismographic Network (LCSN) Home Page!

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 10:49pm

This is interesting... not just a lot of tiny quakes around here...

2008 National Seismic Hazard Maps - Fault Parameters

for mostly western states.

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 10:59am

This is California in the last hour.....

2 in the last hour...  

Map%20showing%20earthquakes

Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic