Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

News / The Middle East...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: News / The Middle East...
    Posted: January 11 2010 at 11:38pm

Mary008

News / The Middle East...

File:Middle%20east%20graphic%202003.jpg
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 11:38pm

The%20USS%20Dwight%20D.%20Eisenhower
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower

Petraeus: Iran's nuclear infrastructure can be bombed

DEBKAfile Special Report
January 11, 2010, 10:14 AM (GMT+02:00)

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower arrives

The deployment in the Middle East of the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower carrier strike group in the first week of January adds muscle to the words of Gen. David Petraeus, CENTCOM commander

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 11:44pm

Congressman seeking to bar Iranians from US

Tue, 12 Jan 2010 03:12:31 GMT

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 12:51pm
Again we put carrier into Persian Gulf then we take them out, and nothing happens
I have been watching this game for 5 years now. At one time we had like 3 carrier groups in the gulf and two in Mediterranean sea.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 2:31pm
File:DolmabahceMainGate.JPG

The Dolmabahçe Palace

US, Israel close their eyes to Turkey's radicalization

DEBKAfile Exclusive Analysis
January 12, 2010, 11:36 PM (GMT+02:00)

article here-

Back in 2007

Election results no political revolution, but rather expression of disappointment
Zvi Elpeleg Published:  07.23.07, 14:19 / Israel Opinion  

The victory of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's Muslim party raises the question of whether the Turkish people are turning back to the period that preceded Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey in 1923.

The truth of the matter is that there is no political revolution here, but rather, an expression of disappointment over the secular regimes that were unable to transform Turkey into a welfare state that cares for the weaker socioeconomic strata. 

With the absence of any real workers' party, the gap between the rich and the poor is widening. Corruption too is also continuing to thrive. Turkey's black market accounts for 40 percent of its economy; the wealthy are becoming wealthier, the poor receive no aid and only the Muslim party is making an effort to fill the vacuum created by the economic elites and the secular political establishment, which is corrupt for the most part. 

Another factor that may serve to explain the Muslim party's strengthening is the disappointment over the European Union's refusal to open its doors, which the Turks have been knocking on for years. It appears that this refusal has led many – also among the elite - to the conclusion that there is no point in continuing the efforts to become accepted into the European club.

Surveys show that the rate of proponents of joining the EU has dropped from 80 percent at the beginning of the process to a mere 30 percent. 

What will the army do?
Two questions are most prominent in wake of the Islamic victory in the elections, the first concerning the identity of the next president. In the event that the Justice and Development Party manages to assert its power and bring about the election of a party member to the presidency, a tough reality will prevail. 

The Turkish president has substantial powers and until now it was he alone who prevented the appointment of hundreds of ruling party members to key posts in the public administration, and in so doing halted the regime's Islamization. 

If a compromise candidate is found for the presidential post, there is a chance that the political system will be able to continue functioning. However, if Erdogan insists on a man such as his party colleague, Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul, becoming president, fierce struggles would emerge and their outcome would be hard to predict. 

Another critical question is how the army would respond. According to the constitution it has a political role, and in a picturesque way it can be figuratively described as follows: With the constitution of 1923, Kemal Ataturk moved forward the engine that has since been leading the Turkish train towards the West. The army was assigned a role: To guard the train so that it continues on its journey. Each time the train was derailed – and this has happened four times – the army left its barracks and put it back on track in the direction of the West. 

Will the army take action this time as well to safeguard the mission assigned by the nation's founder, or will it find a way for dialogue with the Muslim regime? 

Regarding the Israeli point of view, the heads of the Turkish regime are reiterating that their relationship with us will continue to strengthen. In my view there is a good chance of this happening.

The writer is an expert on Turkey and a former ambassador to Turkey
.................................................................................................................

So Where Does Turkey Stand With The EU?

Turkey was one of the first countries, in 1959, to seek close cooperation with the young European Economic Community (EEC).

The EU opened membership negotiations with Turkey on 3rd October 2005. This was done by adopting a negotiating framework for this candidate country.

The first stage of negotiations started immediately with the screening process. Screening meetings were completed in October 2006. Following this, the Commission prepared screening reports for each chapter.

The first chapter to be negotiated, Chapter 25 - Science and Research, was opened and provisionally closed on 12th June 2006.

In November 2006, the European Union expressed concern over restrictions to the free movement of goods, including restrictions on means of transport to which Turkey had committed by signing the Additional Protocol to the Ankara Agreement.
With no solution found, the European Council decided on 14-15 December 2006 to
suspend negotiations on eight chapters relevant to Turkey's restrictions with regard to the Republic of Cyprus:

Chapter 1 Free movement of goods
Chapter 3 Right of establishment and freedom to provide services
Chapter 9 Financial services
Chapter 11 Agriculture and rural development
Chapter 13 Fisheries
Chapter 14 Transport policy
Chapter 29 Customs union
Chapter 30 External relations

It was also decided that no chapter would be provisionally closed until Turkey fulfils its commitments under the additional protocol to the EU-Turkey association agreement.
However, this did not mean that the process of negotiations was blocked. As of January 2007, the negotiations were back on the track on the chapters that were not suspended. To date, 10 chapters have been under negotiations, as the table below shows it.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 6:01pm

Europe.... Not Like The USA

What American's Aren't paying Attention to...

Has Europe Gone Daft ?
No...   There are ... Degrees ...   of threats to Kill.

A threat of Murder in Canada...

Ottawa Muslim gets year in jail

for threatening to murder his daughter for fleeing arranged marriage and not wearing hijab

"Taxi boss jailed for threats against daughter," by Megan Gillis for the Ottawa Sun, November 10 2009.

The judge noted that Al Mezel, who came from Kuwait 20 years ago, is a community leader...

In Austria

...Judge Andrea Hacker

sentenced the father to 12 months on probation,

the mother to ten. 

The sister was sentenced to a fine.

Trying To Toss Turkey back To The Dark Ages?

Maulana Sheikh Nazim ...  "Our Dear" ...
Necmettin Erbakan

...The Prime Minister of Turkey from 1996 until 1997. He was Turkey's first Islamist

Prime Minister. In 1997 he was pressured by the military to step down as prime minister

and later

banned from politics by the constitutional court.[1][2]

The New Ottomans?

Are We Paying Attention?

Of All Places

Berlin, Germany - 1993

According to Sheikh Nazim?

You are the Grandchildren of the Ottomans

It will be the Ottomans who will make the world to tremble again.

If the Ottomans do not come back, the unbelievers will

never be brought down

To Their Knees...

As long as Allah is with us, we will not need America,

nor will we need the unbelievers of Europe,

nor will we be servants to them, nor will we go on their path.

Erdogan, Prime Minister of Turkey

"I am not a leader of a tribe. I am the prime minister of the Republic of Turkey . I do whatever I need to, so I did it, and will continue to do so. This is my character. This is my identity."

"It was a matter of my country's respect and prestige. Therefore, my attitude should have been clear," he said. "I couldn’t have allowed anyone to hurt the prestige and especially the honor of my country."

Saturday, February 09, 2008.

Germany: Erdogan calls for Turkish schools and universities
.............................................................................................

Meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin, Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan called for Turkish-language schools and universities to be set up in Germany. The plan has met with scepticism in Germany.

During a meeting with Merkel and school students from Berlin on Friday, Feb 8, to discuss problems of young migrants such as language barriers, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said he was in favour of integration and against assimiliation.

The Turkish leader said he supported integration efforts but people's differences must be accepted.

"In Germany, it should be possible for high schools to be set up where the teaching is in Turkish," Erdogan said, adding he also favored the idea of Turkish-language universities in Germany.

Germany is home to Western Europe's biggest population of Turks -- about 2.5 million people.

He added that children would not be able to master German unless they could speak their own language and added that Turkey would be willing to send over teachers.
"If you want a Turkish school, go to Turkey"

Merkel reacted cautiously to the idea, saying she foresaw difficulties if Turkish teachers were to work in German schools.

Education ministers from Germany's 16 federal states have agreed to promote the teaching of foreign languages in schools and linguists have often said in the past that a good grasp of the native tongue is an important prerequisite for learning new languages.

Yet Erdogan's proposal remains politically controversial. Politicians warned against exporting Turkish educational institutison to Germany. Some have pointed out that six Turkish-German schools already exist in Germany.

"Turkish schools and universities in Germany would be a pure obstacle to integration," said Christine Haderthauer, General Secretary of the Christian Social Union (CSU), the Bavarian sister party to Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU). Both parties oppose Turkey's entry into the European Union

"If you want a Turkish school, go to Turkey," said Haderthauer.

No to teachers from Turkey

Other politicians said they were in favour of teaching Turkish in schools in Germany, but that it had to be done by locally trained teachers who were familiar with the problems of migrants.

"Speaking two languages is not damaging, I support Erdogan in that respect," Cem Özdemir of Germany's opposition Green Party told the Web site of news magazine Der Spiegel. But he added that schools or teachers from Turkey couldn't be simply relocated to Germany.

Kenan Kolat, chairman of the Turkish Community too was criticial of Erdogan's proposal, saying that though the native tongue, Turkish, was important, German was no less so.

"Integration can only work this way (if both languages are on an equal footing]," Kolat told Spiegel. He rejected the idea of importing teachers from Turkey. "They don't know the society here, they haven't studied here."

Integration is a delicate topic in Germany as in many other parts of Western Europe with large immigrant populations. Children from immigrant backgrounds perform markedly worse at school than their German counterparts. Merkel has talked about helping young immigrants get better education to avoid alienation and help them find jobs.

Blaze stokes tensions

Tensions between Germans and Turks were fuelled last week by a fire in a housing block in the German city of Ludwigshafen, killing nine people of Turkish origin. The cause of the fire remains unknown but Turkish media have speculated that it was a racially motivated attack.

The blaze has stirred memories of a firebombing by Germans in 1993 in the town of Solingen which killed five Turks.

Erdogan visited the site this week and met with survivors. He has called on police to clear up the case swiftly.

Source: Deutsche Welle (English) h/t Winds of Jihad

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 11:12am

Well Turkey just like all the other Muslim countries are going back to their religious roots, and they are trying to unite and create a new Islamic front against the West.
They don’t need EU anymore when the new gas pipeline will be build on their territory.
What it’s all suggest is a new war will be fought between east and west
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 12:53pm

Imams Lament The Glory Days?

The Ottoman Empire

Frontline Interview with-
Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf

Do you think we have witnessed a period of reactionary-ism against the Western influence within the Muslim world in the past 50 or 100 years?

The 20th century was a century in which the Muslim world experienced the hands of the West in the perception of the Muslim world -- a dismantling of some of its important constructs. The most significant of that was the dismantling of the Ottoman caliph. Because for the first time in the collective consciousness of Muslims, there is no caliph anywhere. And it was replaced-- especially in major population centers of the Muslim world, those that were important at the turn at the beginning of the twentieth century: Turkey, Egypt, Iran -- the traditional forms of rulership were replaced by militantly secular regimes. Not only secular regimes, but militantly secular regimes, which did not even support traditional values which were cherished by the people. In Turkey, for instance, Ataturk himself forbade the calling of the prayer in the Arabic language. They changed the script of Ottoman Turkish from Arabic script to the Roman script.

So the Muslim world felt that there was a deliberate attempt to create a split in that bond which Muslims had. ... So what happened created a split between Arabs and Turks ... and refigured the map and created new identities of people.

People [had] thought of themselves as part of a group. You had the family, the clan, the tribe and extended notion of a tribe, a people, a nation. So for example the Uzbekis were split geographically. So you have some Uzbekis in Uzbekistan, some in what we call Afghanistan.

The Pashtun people were split: some in Pakistan, some in Afghanistan. The Hazaris were split between Iran and Afghanistan. We tell these people, this segment of Uzbekis, Pashtuns and Hazaris, now think of yourself as a completely new identification based upon geography, which people did not have before. And this seeded conflict. ...

We did the same thing in Iraq, and the Kurds lost out. They are split between Iraq and Turkey. So the West planted the seed for some grave problems in the Muslim world. But at the same time, they robbed the Muslim world in the minds of the Muslims, from a sense of identity that was based upon people, and also a sense of pluralism that existed within the Muslim dialectic. So within, let's say, the Ottoman caliphate, they had a principle of different peoples.

So they had the notion that the sultan had political power over these different people. But these peoples had their different cultural norms, different religions. They had their different religious leaders, as long as political homage was paid to the sultan, and they didn't act in a way which was treasonous politically. They had their own court system, dealing with matters of religious affairs and so forth.

All was part of this of this grouping of people. So we had a method of pluralism which worked, which was successful. And there were instances of intermarriage between the people and so forth, but people lived harmoniously. It created what Samuel Huntington calls "torn societies."... Samuel Huntington describes a torn society as "a society whose leadership, those who hold the reins of the power, identify with a different set of cultural norms than the people on whom they govern."

source-

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 7:11pm

Remote-controlled bomb kills Iranian nuclear physicist
............................................................................................

VIDEO

Too Close to The Opposition?

Harman Tehran Killed Their Own Nuke Scientist Over His Opposition Links

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 7:03pm

Yemen: 6 al-Qaida militants killed in airstrike

Victims include senior leader who plotted to assassinate U.S. ambassador

updated 1:26 p.m. ET, Fri., Jan. 15, 2010

Associated Press 

SAN'A, Yemen - Yemeni warplanes killed six al-Qaida operatives Friday near a desert village

bordering Saudi Arabia, including a senior military leader who plotted to assassinate the

U.S. ambassador, security officials said.

article here-

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 11:08am

Updated Jan 16, 2010 19:50

Six powers to discuss Iran's defiance

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
UNITED NATIONS

Top diplomats from six key powers are scheduled to meet in New York on Saturday to

discuss Iran's reaction to their proposal to defuse global fears over its nuclear program,

with the United States pushing for new sanctions.

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 5:01pm

Top Lebanese officials press for increased US assistance
..............................................................................................

By Elias Sakr
Daily Star staff

Saturday, January 16, 2010

BEIRUT: Top Lebanese officials stressed Friday during talks with a visiting American official the need to boost US aid for the Lebanese Army as well as to pressure Israel into implementing UN Resolution 1701.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 8:55pm
 Undated%20handout%20photo%20provided%20by%20U.S.%20Air%20Force%20shows%20MQ-9%20Reaper,%20armed%20with%20GBU-12%20Paveway%20II%20laser%20guided%20munitions%20and%20AGM-114%20Hellfire%20missiles

Asia News/ January 17, 2010

US Drone Hits Pakistan Target

By ZAHID HUSSAIN

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 11:42am

Yasser Arafat's Secret Archive - a Ticking Bomb
..................................................................................

DEBKA-Net-Weekly 429 Exclusive
January 19, 2010, 5:39 PM (GMT+02:00)

...Therefore, during his 36 years as head of the Palestinian movement, the PLO Arafat used the Palestinian spy agencies he controlled to methodically collect data and build up dossiers not only on Israeli, Arab and Muslim figures of the day but also a host of world leaders, politicians, generals, economic czars, high-tech executives and their families. Some are still in official positions.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 8:04pm
.File:%20Ein-Pik-2005-3.JPG

Golan Heights

Golan Heights is located in the Levant between the Yarmouk River to the south and Mount

Hermon in the north.

History of the Levant

Levant was a geographical entity that historically, politically, (was) one, the political and

administrative Valtksemat has always been based on this region as a single block can not

be separated,

(With the fall of the Ottoman Empire )

...British occupation - the French and the Convention on the Sykes-Picot led to the division

of Bilad al-Sham (Greater Syria) to the small states to ...dividing what it is now

Syria,

Lebanon,

Jordan and

Palestine.

Mount Hermon is a mountain ( range ) located in Syria and Lebanon.

File:%20Hermonsnow.jpg

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 8:04pm

Syria partially mobilizes reserves as tensions rise on Israel's northern border

DEBKAfile Special Report
January 22, 2010, 6:30 PM (GMT+02:00)

Friday, Jan. 22, Damascus ordered a Level 4 mobilization of Syria's army
reserves for deployment to the Golan Heights on the Israeli border...

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 11:13pm

Rush of terror alerts on three continents plus Middle East
....................................................................................................................................

DEBKAfile Special Report
January 23, 2010, 9:27 PM (GMT+02:00)

In the last three days, the governments of eleven countries have scrambled to elevate

their preparedness levels for Islamist terror, or enforced extraordinarily stringent security

measures. Another six governments have pursued these steps without fanfare.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 8:09pm

If you want to wait through a few minutes of gab.... 

Audio: A Declaration of War on Iran, LIVE!

1/24/2010 9:56:00 PM

A7 Radio's "The Tamar Yonah Show" with Tamar Yonah

Armen Saginian, is an Iranian activist and is one of the leaders of the Iranian people's revolution which,

includes ex-Savak agents (Iranian National Intelligence and Security Organization agents) and

other influential Iranians inside and outside of Iran. 

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 7:15pm
File:CopticAltar.jpg
Another theological dispute in the 5th century occurred over the teachings of Nestorius, the Patriarch of Constantinople who taught that God the Word was not hypostatically joined with human nature, but rather dwelt in the man Jesus. As a consequence of this, he denied the title "Mother of God" (Theotokos) to the Virgin Mary, declaring her instead to be "Mother of Christ" Christotokos.

When reports of this reached the Apostolic Throne of Saint Mark, Pope Saint Cyril I of Alexandria acted quickly to correct this breach with orthodoxy, requesting that Nestorius repent.

wikipedia

Their church split from the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches in AD451 because of a theological dispute over the nature of Christ, but is now, on most issues, doctrinally similar to the Eastern Orthodox Church.

By Yolande Knell
BBC News, Cairo

Worshippers arriving for mass at St Mary's Church in central Cairo say they were shocked but not surprised by a deadly attack against Coptic Christians in southern Egypt earlier this month.

File:StMarkCathAlex.jpg

St Mary's Church in central Cairo

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 2:51pm

Debka has a new clean Modern Look  :)

...........................................................................................................................................

Israeli leaders visit Europe as EU foreign ministers dump Iran sanctions

DEBKAfile Exclusive Analysis January 26, 2010

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 8:47pm

IRAQ

And our troops fought for...   the succesion of this     current government?
.........................................................................................................................

Al-Maliki and his government ...  (succeeded the Iraqi Transitional Government.)

....receives financial support from Tehran  (Iran )

...backed the Iranian Revolution and also Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini

Nouri al-Maliki

The Prime Minister of Iraq and the secretary-general of the Islamic Dawa Party. Al-Maliki and his government also succeeded the Iraqi Transitional Government. His 37-member Cabinet was approved by the National Assembly and sworn in on May 20, 2006.

The ( Islamic Dawa ) party is led by Nouri al-Maliki,

who is also the current Prime Minister of Iraq.  The party backed the Iranian Revolution and also Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini during the Iran-Iraq War and the group still receives financial support from Tehran despite ideological differences with the Islamic Republic.[1]

Maliki not popular with some... sorry google translate rather bad...

This current state of affairs not seen in mainstream news?

I googled for it... nothing... check it out.

.......................................................................................

by Flower Iraq-

Tuesday, January 26th

Launched a Sadrist leader of Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr on Tuesday, January 26th of this sharp attack on the occupation governed by and its owned by Nuri al-Maliki, against the backdrop of recent bombings in Baghdad, and demanded accountability of controlled parliament for failing to provide security for the Iraqis.

Sadr said in a statement issued today, "shame shame to the Government of each watch on the blood of its people are not to be a victim for the arrival of the Government of miserable have no sovereignty and independence ... government under occupation, the Government Taatqazv charges on its neighbors, and evading responsibility."

"It's not important to get the Prime Minister to chair new in the next government, or be given by the people, the people of Aisot to the Government of its security is lax, seeking to serve and save it, and therefore did not consent to it, but God only concerned with the protection of her party and Karaseha and masters."

"I call on the parliament, if any, to do its duty towards this government of all joints, not people accept such a laxity in the references and not all jealous and Sharif."

He attributed the chest what is happening in Iraq to the U.S. occupation, saying that "people live on the night of darkness must be cleared, which is a Aangeli only disappear with the occupier and its followers and the demise of defaulters who took over the office to serve the emirate's bad self."

He asked the chest at the end of his statement, "Who is going to stop the bleeding and prevent the booby and severing the head of terrorism rather than fighting the people and the oppressed?".

The Baghdad had seen yesterday and today a series of attacks by car bomb driven by suicide bombers killed 54 people and wounding more than 155 others were injured, as well as considerable material damage.

It is said that Sadr's al-Sadr, who currently teaches at the hawza in Qom, has 30 seats in the Iraqi parliament, and gave his support to al-Maliki as prime minister, when he was part of the Alliance in 2006.

The strained relationship between them after the withdrawal of Sadr's movement from the coalition and the Maliki government, al-Maliki struck on the back of the Mehdi Army military wing of the Sadrist movement.

Here a question comes to mind is owned by the occupation would resign after bloody strikes, which distorted his face Is expected to be completed days, months, weeks, bloody bloody, but bloody years that have colored days of misery and the misery of Iraqis Will rise up the client on the same parliament and sack the occupation is owned by the failure in Iraq's leadership and his failure to protect the Iraqi people poor and careless when Parliament client to silence on sale pure blood of martyrs of the Iraqi people, caused by the controlled-led occupation Mmlokha Maliki

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 8:53pm
File:BattleofIssus333BC-mosaic-detail1.jpg

"...and among them went bright-eyed Athene, holding the precious aegis which is ageless

and immortal: a hundred tassels of pure gold hang fluttering from it, tight-woven each of

them, and each the worth of a hundred oxen."

wikipedia

...defenses against possible Iranian missile attacks.

US speeds up its own and Gulf allies' preparations for clash with Iran
..................................................................................................

DEBKAfile Special Report
January 31, 2010, 12:27 AM (GMT+02:00)

The Obama administration took the unusual step Saturday night, Jan. 30, of leaking word to major US media that the United States, Saudi Arabia and Gulf allies - the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Bahrain - have accelerated the deployment of new defenses against possible Iranian missile attacks.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 11:53am

Religion of Peace

"You know what would happen if we revealed our marriage right now?"  Ehsan said. "She would be killed and I would be either locked up or have to go into hiding to keep myself alive. But I can never let them separate us and I will do everything to fight them if they try. I am willing to take her and live somewhere else or hide or even get out of Gaza."

Defying Convention - A Gaza love story

By OMER GHRAIEB / THE MEDIA LINE
31/01/2010 14:56
http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=167375

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 3:01pm

Italian-Iranian trade thrives, supports Tehran's nuclear program
............................................................................................................

DEBKAfile Exclusive Report
January 31, 2010, 9:03 PM (GMT+02:00)

" Israel has no bigger friend," said prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu of Silvio Berlusconi, who begins an official visit to Israel with half a dozen ministers Monday, Feb. 1. According to the fat trade contracts current with Tehran, Italy would be more accurately described as "Iran's biggest friend" - at least, in Europe, where the Berlusconi government is also fighting to spare the Islamic Republic further sanctions.

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 5:03pm
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:46am

US intelligence finds 5,000 Hizballah trained to seize Galilee towns
................................................................................................................................................

February 1, 2010, 9:19 AM (GMT+02:00)
DEBKAfile Special Expose

When US NSA James Jones warned Iran may lash out at Israel via its surrogates Hizballah

in Lebanon and Hamas in Gaza in response to increasing international pressure over its

nuclear program, he spoke on the strength of a detailed war plan ...

Mary008
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 12:32pm

More interesting news this year:  Looks like the Jews are trying to assert their influence on the Temple Mount and for the first time in 2,000 years perform a sacrificial offering this Passover on March 29 2010 on the new alter that was carved without a metal tools.

But here is a quote from that website... WHAT HAS CHANGED THAT ENABLES US TO OFFER THE KORBAN PESACH NOW? Recently, the Jewish people have begun to reassert their rights to the Temple Mount. They have been aided by technical progress and archaeological discoveries in solving the once insurmountable problem of determining the areas that can be visited by Jews even in a state of impurity, and which areas remained off limits. Modern technology such as laser cutting tools can solve the problem of constructing an altar without metallic tools. However, the most important development has not been technological, but spiritual. The emergence of a Jewish religious leadership in the form of a renascent Sanhedrin Initiative has provided the breakthrough. A group of rabbinic leaders has summoned the courage to revive Jewish legal thought and authority in the framework of a renewed Jewish sovereignty. The new Sanhedrin Initiative is in the forefront of the drive to renew the Korban Pesach. It assumes responsibility for ensuring that the commandments is performed in conformity with Jewish religious law, and will also coordinate the practical details with the appropriate Israeli governmental authorities. This year in Jerusalem, the Sanhedrin Initiative is calling upon the Jewish people in Israel and throughout the world to participate in the Korban Pesach. The Sanhedrin Initiative will choose sheep to be offered in the Korban Pesach, and all preparations will be made in the expectation that we can renew this ancient, traditional offering. In the event that political or other obstacles intervene, the Sanhedrin Initiative has taken halakhic precautions to ensure that the monies for purchasing the sheep can still be used for charitable donations. Any person wishing to participate in the Korban Pesach can enroll himself and members of his family for the price of seven shekels per person --the estimated cost of a Kezayit of meat, the minimum portion necessary for fulfilling the commandment. The process will be supervised by licensed accountants, whether the monies will be used for the original purpose or will be donated to charity.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 1:15pm

File:Ladies%20cabul1848b.jpg

Ladies Of Caubul ( Kabul )  (1848)

Ancient Customs in a "Modern" World
.......................................................................................
..................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................

This lithograph is taken from plate 24 of 'Afghaunistan' by Lieutenant James Rattray in 1848.

A political mission composed of Doctor Lord and Captain Rattray (James' brother) was established at Bamiyan. This was the frontier city of Afghanistan and the first spot which could be attained by the Russians.

It was also the only road by which the exiled Dost Mohammed could revisit his kingdom. The region was famed for its Buddhist statues. (until they were blown up)

Shakar Lab ('Sugar Lips') was the favourite wife of a former governor of Bamiyan and niece by marriage to Dost Mohammed. As a great favour, Rattray was introduced to her at Kabul.

Describing her as a Qizilbash belle of the first water, Rattray wrote:

"Afghaun ladies exercise more control over their husbands than is usual in Eastern countries."

Though women of the higher classes were strictly under purdah as in Hindustan, Rattray wrote that they certainly enjoyed life more than the Hindustanis. Women were seen making constant pleasure excursions into tombs, gardens and bazaars, and they threw off their veils and restraint, in secluded spots.

wikipedia

Why Families Are Unwilling to go to Government Camps...

The Ladies observe Purdah

VIDEO  (toward the end )

In Warring Tribal Life it was perhaps seen as a protection.
.....................................................................................................
In Modern times some see it as    ownership/ oppression

Purdah or Pardaa       Urdu: پردہ,      Hindi: पर्दा,      Persian: پرده

literally meaning "curtain"

is the practice of preventing women from being seen by men.

According to the exactest definition:
Purdah is a curtain which makes sharp separation between the world of
man and that of a woman, between the community as a whole and the
family which is its heart, between the street and the home, the public
and the private, just as it sharply separates society and the individual.[1]

This takes two forms: physical segregation of the sexes,
and the requirement for women to cover their bodies and conceal their form.

Purdah exists in various forms in the Islamic world[2]
and among Hindu women in parts of India.

In the Muslim world, preventing women from being seen by men is
closely linked to the concept of Namus.[3][4]
Namus is an ethical category, a virtue,
in Middle Eastern Muslim patriarchal character.

It is a strongly gender-specific category of relations within a family
described in terms of honor, attention, respect/respectability, and
modesty. The term is often translated as "honor".[3]

wikipedia

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 8:59am

Basically they try to make a woman into Cousin  “IT” and stop man from thinking impure thoughts about a woman.
With advent of high explosives this dress becomes a perfect cover-up for a woman suicide bomber
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 6:16pm

Have we heard any rumblings from John Bolton lately?

he claims war... and there is none...

and then we don't hear from him?   what then?

oh good... here he is again...

1. Israel 'will attack Iran' before new US president sworn in, John ...

Jun 23, 2008 ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/2182070/Israel-will-attack-Iran-before-new-US-president-sworn-in-John-Bolton- ...
    www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/.../Israel-will-attack-Iran-before-new-US-president-sworn-in-John-Bolton-predicts.html - Similar
  2. We must attack Iran before it gets the bomb - Telegraph

May 16, 2007 ... Website of the Telegraph Media Group with breaking news, sport, business, ... Former US ambassador to the UN John Bolton said Iran should be ..... machine before thy plan to detonate a bomb in the middle east in their ...
    telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/.../wbolton16... - Similar
  3. U.S. Attack On Iran? John Bolton: Gaza Conflict Could Lead To U.S. ...

Jan 1, 2009 ... News, Politics, Obama, Breaking News, Headlines, Crime, Truth, cnn, Food Raid, Michael ... Top Neo-Con John Bolton told Fox News yesterday that the conflict ... that Arabs celebrate when the U.S. attacks the Middle East. ...
    www.70news.com/.../us-attack-on-iran-john-bolton-gaza-conflict-could-lead-to-us-attack-on-iran/ - Cached
  4. Bolton: Attack Iran, 'remove' its leader | Iranian - Iran News ...

Sep 30, 2007 ... Middle East & Israel Breaking News » Iranian - Iran News » Article ... Former US ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton told Tory ...
    www.jpost.com › Iranian - Iran News - Cached
  5. YouTube - John Bolton: Window Closing for Israeli Military Action ...

Dec 17, 2009 ... John Bolton: Israel will attack Iran by end of 2009. Added to. Quicklist4:53 ... BREAKING NEWS - Al-Qaeda Attempts To Blow Up Airliner In USA Added to. Quicklist4:04 ... Iran Military Force in Middle East. 803 views ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBqIqRHVA9I - Cached
  6. Breaking News | Middle East Window

BBC News Middle East - September 23, 2008 - 10:22am ... telling then-U.N. Ambassador John R. Bolton: "Well, it's... Categories: Breaking News ... 18 -- The number of victims killed in an attack on the U.S. Embassy here rose to 11 ...
    middleeastwindow.org/?q=aggregator/categories/5&page=346 - Cached
  7. Think Progress » Bolton on whether Bush might bomb Iran before he ...

May 7, 2008 ... So we think bombing another country in the middle east will do some good? ... John Bolton, former Human – this horrific piece of subhuman dung needs to ... If an attack does occur, I expect BushCo will blame it on the Democrats .... Everytime I get a CNN Breaking News email, my stomach tightens. ...
    thinkprogress.org/2008/05/07/bolton-again-on-iran/ - Cached
  8. John Bolton's Not-So-Subtle Hint: Time For An Israeli Strike On Iran?

Jul 2, 2009 ... Israel 'will attack Iran' before new US president sworn in, John . ..... I'll bet it will shut those middle-eastern-ers up who keep thinking that Israel is some imperialistic Western tool .... Get Breaking News Alerts ...
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../john-boltons-notsosubtle-_n_224576.html - Cached
  9. Breaking News | Middle East Window

BBC News Middle East - September 23, 2008 - 10:22am ... telling then-U.N. Ambassador John R. Bolton: "Well, it's... Categories: Breaking News ...
    www.middleeastwindow.com/?q=aggregator/categories/5&page... - Cached
  10. John BoltonNews Stories About John Bolton - Page 1 | Newser

John Bolton - Find news stories, facts, pictures and video about John Bolton - Page 1 | Newser. ... Newser - Current News - Breaking Stories .... Iran • Israel • Middle East • Robert Gates • nuclear weapons • nuclear program • John ... attack sooner rather than later, writes former UN ambassador John Bolton in the ...
    www.newser.com/tag/4152/1/john-bolton.html - Cached - Similar

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 7:48pm

Hamas leader to visit Moscow

Edited 06 February, 2010, 01:42

The leader of the radical Palestinian party Hamas, Khaled Mashal, will visit Moscow next week to discuss ways of ending the Palestinian split and how to resume the Palestinian-Israeli negotiations.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 2:40pm

The UAE and Saudi Arabia have bought more than $25 billion of U.S. arms in the past two years.

Fox News 
Updated February 01, 2010

... the Obama Administration quietly increased the capability of land and sea-based missile defenses in several Gulf nations to protect American allies against a potential Iranian strike.

Administration officials said over the weekend that the U.S. was speeding up arms sales to a number of Gulf Arab states and that it had also deployed warships capable of knocking down hostile missiles in flight to the region.

Two senior defense officials told Fox News on Monday that missile-defense systems, including sea-based Aegis destroyers and Patriot missiles, are being sent to the Gulf region. One official said the build-up was "previewed in the president's strategy on missile defense last year."

The moves, which include the sales of anti-missile systems to Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait, are designed to deter Iran from launching attacks against its Sunni Muslim neighbors and to send a message to Israel that

a preemptive strike against Iran is unnecessary.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 5:45pm

Two Faces On One Head

Iran to begin 20% uranium enrichment Tuesday - Salehi
................................................................................................

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran will start producing 20 per cent enriched nuclear fuel from Tuesday, the head of its Atomic Energy Organisation was quoted as saying.
"We will hand over an official letter to the IAEA [International Atomic Energy Agency] tomorrow, informing the agency that

we will start making 20 per cent enriched fuel from Tuesday,"

Ali Akbar Salehi told Iran's Arabic-language state television channel, Al Alam.
Iran's president gave instructions on Sunday for the production of higher-grade nuclear reactor fuel, prompting the United States and Germany to threaten carefully targeted new sanctions against Tehran.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s announcement raised the stakes in Iran's dispute with the West, but he said talks were

still possible

on a nuclear swap offer by world powers designed to allay fears the
Islamic republic is making an atomic bomb.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 6:40pm

....Also, a senior Iranian army commander said Iran will respond to any military attack from

Israel by "eliminating" it,

in comments condemned by Washington.

Last update - 22:34 07/02/2010    

Iran's Supreme Leader: West can't save Israel

By Haaretz Service and News Agencies

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei said Sunday that Western support of Israel

was ineffective, telling a top Palestinian militant leader that its obliteration was imminent

according to the will of God.

"Today Palestine is the symbol of life, determination, faithfulness, diligence, and dignity,"

Ayatollah Khamenei told Ramadan Abdullah, the secretary general of the Palestinian

Islamic Jihad Movement.  

He praised the Palestinian resistance movement and declared that it had proven itself

stronger despite the military superiority of the Israel Defense Forces.

GCC joint rapid deployment force to be set up this year
...................................................................................

By Habib Toumi, Bahrain Bureau Chief
Published: 14:49 January 21, 2010

Manama: The Gulf Cooperation Council joint rapid deployment force could be set up this

year, the Saudi chief of staff has said.

"We expect the force to be established this year and it will be headquartered in the King

Khalid Military City," General Saleh Bin Ali Al Mahya was quoted as saying by Al Ayam in

Manama where he is attending the Bahrain International Air Show.

GCC states had agreed at their last summit in Kuwait in December to create a joint rapid

deployment force that would address security threats in the world’s top oil-exporting

region.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 12:52pm
File:FA-18%20Super%20Hornets%20of%20Strike%20Fighter%20Squadron%2031%20fly%20patrol,%20Afghanistan,%20December%2015,%202008.jpg

FA-18 Super Hornets of Strike Fighter Squadron 31 fly patrol, Afghanistan, December 15, 2008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:10pm

Last update - 22:54 Feb 8, 2010    

TV ROUND-UP: Iran FM calls Israel crazy; Israeli food fair hits D.C.  
.................................................................................................................

By Jerusalem Online 

Tags: Israel News, Haaretz TV

VIDEO

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:34pm

Around and around and around...

Assad to Berri: Syria will Support Lebanon if Israel Attacks

excerpt-

...Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sought to ease tensions on Sunday, saying that Israel wants peace with all of its neighbors.

"We made peace with Egypt and Jordan and we seek peace with Syria and the Palestinians," he said.

On Tuesday Netanyahu accused Beirut of allowing Hizbullah to smuggle weapons into Lebanon in "blatant violation of (United Nations Security Council) Resolution 1701" which brought an end to the summer 2006 war between Israel and Hizbullah.

Beirut, 08 Feb 10, 08:43

article here-

openform&F20F96F3D5B63684C22576C40069FBBB

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 12:46pm
 uploaded by: Francesco Mazzucotelli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qadisha.jpg
File:Qadisha.jpg

The Kadisha Valley is a World Heritage Site

Looking for-

Hassan Nasrallah

the current and third Secretary General of the Lebanese Islamist party and paramilitary

organization Hezbollah. Nasrallah became the leader of Hezbollah after Israel

assassinated the movement's leader Abbas al-Musawi in 1992.[2]

wikipedia

Three times in the past three weeks Israeli jets have flattened buildings where they hoped that Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, the unchallenged leader of Hezbollah, was hiding.
Three times they missed him, and three times he appeared on his own TV channel soon afterwards to mock them.

That, in turn, is the result of systematic stockpiling of weapons from Syria and Iran and his transformation of the military wing of Hezbollah into the world�s most lethal guerrilla army.
Under Sheikh Nasrallah field commanders are promoted strictly on merit and their fighters are trained as specialists, among them snipers who proved their worth this week. Israel�s losses at Bint Jbeil were the IDF�s worst in a single day for 20 years.
Such resistance has electrified not just the Arab world but also Lebanese voters of all stripes.

Born in 1960, the eldest of nine children, he has said that he was

"a dull, studious child". If so, it was the dullness of cold steel. Singled out for his diligence,

he was sent as a teenager from Tyre to a Shia college in Iraq.

He was expelled from there,

only to be immersed deeper in Shia fundamentalism in Iran,

where the 1979 revolution inspired him to join Hezbollah at its founding

three years later. Its explicit aim: to drive Israel back to its pre-1967 borders.

As leader he has brooked no dissent.

Two years after striking Argentina�s Israeli Embassy he cemented his

reputation for ruthlessness by hitting Buenos Aires again. This time a

massive car bomb killed 85 people and injured 250 in the Jewish district.

What the "Hero" above brings to Lebanon

Areas in Lebanon targeted by Israeli bombing (12 July to 13 August 2006) concentrated on Southern Lebanon.

File:Locations%20bombed%20Aug13%20no%20fact%20box.jpg

Back to Square One

The 1975 - 1990 civil war heavily damaged Lebanon's economic infrastructure,

cut national output by half, and all but ended Lebanon's position as a West Asian entrepôt and banking hub.[1] The subsequent period of relative peace enabled the central government to restore control in Beirut, begin collecting taxes (though not always successfully), and regain access to key port and government facilities.

Economic recovery has been helped by a financially sound banking system and resilient small- and medium-scale manufacturers, with family remittances, banking services, manufactured and farm exports, and international aid as the main sources of foreign exchange.[84]

Until the 2006 Lebanon War, Lebanon's economy witnessed excellent growth,

with bank assets reaching over 75 billion US dollars,[85] By the end of the first half of 2006, the influx of tourists to Lebanon had already registered a 49.3% increase over 2005 figures (which was a low figure, making the 49.3% increase seem more spectacular than it was).[85]

Market capitalization was also at an all time high, estimated at $10.9 billion at the end of the second quarter of 2006, just weeks before the fighting started.[85]

The war severely damaged Lebanon's fragile economy, especially the tourism sector.

According to a preliminary report published by the Lebanese Ministry of Finance on 30 August 2006, a major economic decline was expected as a result of the fighting.[86]

wikipedia

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 7:14pm

'Iran boasts will show world its danger'

BY HERB KEINON
12/02/2010 03:35
PM heads to Moscow next week hoping Russia has registered the threat.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 8:46am

File:Afghanistan-Helmand.png

Helmand is the world's largest opium-producing region, responsible for 42% of the world's total production.[2][3]

....Helmand is said to be a Taliban stronghold

wikipedia

Important Taliban-held town attacked by NATO and Afghan troops

Afghanistan News.Net
Saturday 13th February, 2010

In the largest offensive since the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001,

U.S., British and Afghan forces have begun a long-planned invasion of the Taliban-held town of Marjah and Nad Ali in an attempt to re-establish government control over the areas.

article here-

U.S. Marines spearhead major Afghanistan offensive
.............................................................................................................................

MARJAH, Afghanistan (Reuters) -

U.S. Marines spearheaded one of NATO's biggest offensives against the
Taliban in Afghanistan on Saturday, in an early test of President Barack
Obama's troop surge policy.

Sky drone 'spots' Taliban's homemade bombs

Helmand is the world's largest opium-producing region, responsible for 42% of the

world's total production.[2][3]
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 9:58am

Karzai asks Taliban to put down arms

Afghanistan News.Net
Saturday 13th February, 2010 (IANS)

President Hamid Karzai Saturday called on Taliban militants in a southern town to put down their arms hours after Afghan and NATO troops entered the rebel's main bastion.

Nearly 7,000 US marines and Afghan forces entered the farmlands and the main city of Marjah, a volatile district in southern Helmand province, while thousands more including British troops entered the Nad Ali district of central Helmand.

article here-

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2010 at 9:33pm

Various Topics...

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:39pm

Wondering if it's    ...      at the top of the list?  

11 'Mabhouh killers' on Interpol list

BY JPOST.COM STAFF
18/02/2010 17:54

Organization urges police to focus on pictures in deciding who to detain.

Mahmoud Abdel Rauf al-Mabhouh

... was a senior Hamas military commander and one of the founders of the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades.

Al-Mabhouh

was assassinated in the Al Bustan Rotana Hotel in Dubai

on January 19, 2010, having arrived in the country earlier that day from Syria. It is suspected by Dubai police that he was murdered in his hotel room, with accounts of the cause of death ranging from suffocation to electrocution. A controversy over the murder has arisen over speculation that it was an Israeli government-sanctioned assassination.[3]

[edit] Biography

Al-Mabhouh was born in Jabaliya, Gaza on February 14, 1960.[4]

In the 1970s, he joined the Muslim Brotherhood

and in the 1980s he was reported to have been involved in sabotaging coffee shops where gambling was taking place.

In 1986, the Israeli security forces arrested him for possession of an assault rifle.

It has been reported that after his release he became involved with Hamas.

On May 1989, a failed attempt was made to arrest him for his believed involvement in the murder of two Israeli soldiers.

He subsequently fled the Gaza Strip to evade arrest. It has been reported that he was believed to have since been involved in weapons and explosive smuggling into Gaza.[1]

One report indicated that he spent most of 2003 in an Egyptian jail.[5]

He was suspected for being involved in the 1989 abduction and murder

of two Israeli soldiers, Avi Sasportas and Ilan Sa'adon,[6] along with several other attacks. His home in Gaza was reported to have been demolished by Israel in 1989 in response to these attacks on Israel.[7] He had been arrested and released several times by Israel, but at the time of his death was wanted by the Israeli government and living in Syria.[8]

[edit] Death

Al-Mabhouh was found dead in his Al Bustan Rotana Hotel room in Dubai.The Sunday Times reports that al-Mabhouh was tracked since January 19, 2010 on his 10:05 a.m. departure from Damascus, Syria to Dubai on Emirates Flight 912.[9] While it states that he traveled under a false passport,[9] Hamas and Dubai officials maintain that al-Mabhouh entered the country under his own identity[10] at 3:15 p.m.[2] Normally al-Mabhouh would have been protected by bodyguards, but their arrival was delayed because the plane was full.[11]

Al-Mabhouh took a taxi to the Al Bustan Rotana hotel

and settled into room 230.[12] He had asked for a room with no balcony and sealed windows, so no one could enter other than through the door. He showered, changed, left documents in the safe, and then exited the hotel between 4:30 and 5 p.m, roughly an hour having passed since first checking in.[5] What he did during the next three to four hours is unclear, with one report saying he went to Dubai's Iranian consulate for a meeting,[13] and another stating he met with "people from his own group".[14] At approximately 8:25 p.m. Al-Mabhouh came back to the room,[12] and subsequently failed to answer a call by his wife a half hour later.[5]

According to Dubai police, he was dead by 9 p.m. that evening.[2] On January 20, the following day, his body was found in his hotel room.[15][9] After al-Mabhouh's death, his remains were subsequently moved to Damascus for burial.

wikipedia
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 9:49pm

Inspectors Say Iran Worked on Warhead

By DAVID E. SANGER and WILLIAM J. BROAD
Published: February 18, 2010

WASHINGTON - The United Nations' nuclear inspectors declared for the first time on Thursday that they had extensive evidence of "past or current undisclosed activities" by Iran’s military ...

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 11:40am

Sanction Iran's Energy

see small video picture

Debka is on Vacation... and the Jerusalem Post is quite interesting.

There is a lot to check out on their site.

They have English subtitles on their Videos

Mary008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic