Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Antibiotics Necessary In Preps!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antibiotics Necessary In Preps!!
    Posted: January 16 2010 at 9:25pm
Had an appointment with my Doc...his kids got the H1N1 virus about the same time my kid got H1N1. He gave both of them Tamiflu still one got pneumonia! I found that interesting that Tamiflu did not help one of his kids avoid pneumonia.

Lesson learned...we all need anitbiotics in our preps. Now here is the question how do we get the correct antibiotic for pneumonia?

Any suggestions? I am looking forward to the next Pandmic...I am sure we will have another one in the future.
jody05 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 9:31pm
the correct antibiotic depends on the bug causing the infection ( pneumonia ). you would need to have it cultured to get the right drug. you could take an antibiotic you have in your preps and it may not help.
lurking since 2005 with a looong memory
for everything that has transpired on this site!
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 9:59pm
works for me.

Look inside the book feature... and check out the Index. 

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 10:52am

Boswellia serrata

Frankincense  (an early Gift )
An Anti-inflamatory

Boswellia serrata is Indian frankincense or Salai.

It is found in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh in India. Its aroma is generally considered to be far inferior compared to Boswellia sacra or Boswellia frereana.
In Ayurvedic medicine Indian frankincense (Boswellia serrata) has been used for hundreds of years for treating arthritis.[1]

in Kinnerasani Wildlife Sanctuary, Andhra Pradesh, India.Extracts of Boswellia serrata have been clinically studied for osteoarthritis and joint function, particularly for osteoarthritis of the knee. A Boswellia extract marketed under the name Wokvel has undergone human efficacy, comparative, pharmacokinetic studies.[2][3][4]
wikipedia

Recent reports show that Boswelia serrata

can be useful in joint pain and back pain and can even help in cases where steroids are needed

by offsetting some of the symptoms of the problems and therefore helping the patient to use a lower steroid dose.
Research has identified specific active anti-inflammatory ingredients in Shallaki, which are commonly referred to as boswellic acids. In animal studies, these acids have been shown to significantly reduce inflammation in several ways.

They deter inflammatory white cells from infiltrating damaged tissue. They improve blood flow to the joints. And they also block chemical reactions that set the stage for inflammation to occur in chronic intestinal disorders such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.

When tested on Ehrlich ascites carcinoma and S-180 tumours transplanted in mice, it increased the life span of mice by 24% with ascites and decreased S-180 tumour by 24%.

The essential oil of Boswellia searrata was found to he anti-fungal. Anti-inflammatory activity and anti-bacterial activity of extracts have been demonstrated.

[Therapy of active Crohn disease with Boswellia serrata extract H 15] [Article in German]
Gerhardt H, Seifert F, Buvari P, Vogelsang H, Repges R.
Colitis-Crohn-Ambulanz, I. Medizinische Klinik, Klinikum Mannheim der Universitat Heidelberg.
Z Gastroenterol. 2001 Jan;39(1):11-7.
Abstract:
The purpose of this clinical trial was to compare efficacy and safety of the Boswellia serrata extract H15 with mesalazine for the treatment of active Crohn's disease.

CONCLUSIONS: The study confirms that therapy with H15 is not inferior to mesalazine, which can be interpreted as evidence for the efficacy of H15 according to the state of art in the treatment of active Crohn's disease with Boswellia serrata extract, since the efficacy of mesalazine for this indication has been approved by the health authorities.

Considering both safety and efficacy of Boswellia serrata extract H15 it appears to be superior over mesalazine in terms of a benefit-risk-evaluation.

Publication Types: Clinical Trial, Randomized Controlled Trial
PMID: 11215357

photo by J.M.Garghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boswellia_serrata_(Salai)_in_Kinnarsani_WS,_AP_W2_IMG_5840.jpg
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 9:35pm
Mary008 I appreciate your herbal stuff but since I have had pneumonia I don't want to take any chances. Just looking to see what antibiotic will work best and how to get it.

I also know that some antibiotics can cause problems if they are old want to avoid those.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 9:58pm
I appreciate your herbal stuff

Don't be too quick to over look it  :)

See PubMed

Viral pneumonia can not be treated with antibiotics.

Bacterial pneumonia is becoming more difficult to treat.

It's in the book... but you force me to put info here as you term it "stuff "

:) it's ok you are not alone... many people do not realize how much of medicine is actually

from nature and big pharma spends a lot of money to make it synthetically and give it a

cutsie new name like   " dipasepatripinol"    ( I made that up )

They even tried to steal the ancient Neem oil tree from India and patent it... but India

fought back and didn't allow it.

Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-Resistant Bacteria
...................................................................................................................................

From-

Reference list with links to PubMedOregano

Lists of published articles for specific topics with live links to the National Library of

Medicine (NLM) PubMed database (MEDLINE).

These catalogs are limited to MEDLINE-listed citations.

Natural Standard also aggregates many publications that are not MEDLINE listed, that are

not included in these online lists. These additional citations are available as a part of

Natural Standard special reports, which can be ordered through questions@naturalstandard.com.
  1. Akgul A, Kivanc M. Inhibitory effects of selected Turkish spices and oregano components on some foodborne fungi. Int J Food Microbiol 1988;6(3):263-268. View Abstract
  2. Arcila-Lozano CC, Loarca-Pina G, Lecona-Uribe S, et al. [Oregano: properties, composition and biological activity]. Arch Latinoam Nutr 2004;54(1):100-111. View Abstract
  3. Benito M, Jorro G, Morales C, et al. Labiatae allergy: systemic reactions due to ingestion of oregano and thyme. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1996;76(5):416-418. View Abstract
  4. Benito M, Jorro G, Morales C, et al. Labiatae allergy: systemic reactions due to ingestion of oregano and thyme. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1996;76(5):416-418. View Abstract
  5. Botsoglou NA, Florou-Paneri P, Christaki E, et al. Performance of rabbits and oxidative stability of muscle tissues as affected by dietary supplementation with oregano essential oil. Arch Anim Nutr 2004;58(3):209-218. View Abstract
  6. Chami F, Chami N, Bennis S, et al. Oregano and clove essential oils induce surface alteration of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Phytother Res 2005;19(5):405-408. View Abstract
  7. Dadalioglu I, Evrendilek GA. Chemical compositions and antibacterial effects of essential oils of Turkish oregano (Origanum minutiflorum), bay laurel (Laurus nobilis), Spanish lavender (Lavandula stoechas L.), and fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) on common foodborne pathogens. J Agric Food Chem 2004;52(26):8255-8260. View Abstract
  8. Exarchou V, Nenadis N, Tsimidou M, et al. Antioxidant activities and phenolic composition of extracts from Greek oregano, Greek sage, and summer savory. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50(19):5294-5299. View Abstract
  9. Exarchou V, Godejohann M, van Beek TA, et al. LC-UV-solid-phase extraction-NMR-MS combined with a cryogenic flow probe and its application to the identification of compounds present in Greek oregano. Anal Chem 2003;75(22):6288-6294. View Abstract
  10. Fernandez JE, Krivoruchco DD, Mitschele OJ. [Microbiological study of spices. I. Oregano]. Rev Argent Microbiol 1984;16(3):111-118. View Abstract
  11. Force M, Sparks WS, Ronzio RA. Inhibition of enteric parasites by emulsified oil of oregano in vivo. Phytother Res 2000;14(3):213-214. View Abstract
  12. Force M, Sparks WS, Ronzio RA. Inhibition of enteric parasites by emulsified oil of oregano in vivo. Phytother Res 2000;14(3):213-214. View Abstract
  13. Giannenas I, Florou-Paneri P, Papazahariadou M, et al. Effect of dietary supplementation with oregano essential oil on performance of broilers after experimental infection with Eimeria tenella. Arch Tierernahr 2003;57(2):99-106. View Abstract
  14. Govaris A, Botsoglou N, Papageorgiou G, et al. Dietary versus post-mortem use of oregano oil and/or alpha-tocopherol in turkeys to inhibit development of lipid oxidation in meat during refrigerated storage. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2004;55(2):115-123. View Abstract
  15. Kivanc M, Akgul A, Dogan A. Inhibitory and stimulatory effects of cumin, oregano and their essential oils on growth and acid production of Lactobacillus plantarum and Leuconostoc mesenteroides. Int J Food Microbiol 1991;13(1):81-85. View Abstract
  16. Kofidis G, Bosabalidis AM, Moustakas M. Contemporary seasonal and altitudinal variations of leaf structural features in oregano (Origanum vulgare L.). Ann Bot (Lond) 2003;92(5):635-645. View Abstract
  17. Lagouri V, Boskou D. Nutrient antioxidants in oregano. Int J Food Sci Nutr 1996;47(6):493-497. View Abstract
  18. Lambert RJ, Skandamis PN, Coote PJ, et al. A study of the minimum inhibitory concentration and mode of action of oregano essential oil, thymol and carvacrol. J Appl Microbiol 2001;91(3):453-462. View Abstract
  19. Lin YT, Labbe RG, Shetty K. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes in fish and meat systems by use of oregano and cranberry phytochemical synergies. Appl Environ Microbiol 2004;70(9):5672-5678. View Abstract
  20. Matsuura H, Chiji H, Asakawa C, et al. DPPH radical scavengers from dried leaves of oregano (Origanum vulgare). Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2003;67(11):2311-2316. View Abstract
  21. Mauch C, Bilkei G. Strategic application of oregano feed supplements reduces sow mortality and improves reproductive performance--a case study. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2004;27(1):61-63. View Abstract
  22. McCue P, Vattem D, Shetty K. Inhibitory effect of clonal oregano extracts against porcine pancreatic amylase in vitro. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2004;13(4):401-408. View Abstract
  23. Nostro A, Blanco AR, Cannatelli MA, et al. Susceptibility of methicillin-resistant staphylococci to oregano essential oil, carvacrol and thymol. FEMS Microbiol Lett 2004;230(2):191-195. View Abstract
  24. Siatis NG, Kimbaris AC, Pappas CS, et al. Rapid method for simultaneous quantitative determination of four major essential oil components from oregano (Oreganumsp.) and thyme (Thymus sp.) using FT-Raman spectroscopy. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53(2):202-206. View Abstract
  25. Skandamis PN, Nychas GJ. Development and evaluation of a model predicting the survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 NCTC 12900 in homemade eggplant salad at various temperatures, pHs, and oregano essential oil concentrations. Appl Environ Microbiol 2000;66(4):1646-1653. View Abstract
  26. Skandamis PN, Nychas GJ. Effect of oregano essential oil on microbiological and physico-chemical attributes of minced meat stored in air and modified atmospheres. J Appl Microbiol 2001;91(6):1011-1022. View Abstract
  27. Takacsova M, Pribela A, Faktorova M. Study of the antioxidative effects of thyme, sage, juniper and oregano. Nahrung 1995;39(3):241-243. View Abstract
  28. Tsigarida E, Skandamis P, Nychas GJ. Behaviour of Listeria monocytogenes and autochthonous flora on meat stored under aerobic, vacuum and modified atmosphere packaging conditions with or without the presence of oregano essential oil at 5 degrees C. J Appl Microbiol 2000;89(6):901-909. View Abstract
  29. Velluti A, Sanchis V, Ramos AJ, et al. Inhibitory effect of cinnamon, clove, lemongrass, oregano and palmarose essential oils on growth and fumonisin B1 production by Fusarium proliferatum in maize grain. Int J Food Microbiol 2003;89(2-3):145-154. View Abstract
  30. Vichi S, Zitterl-Eglseer K, Jugl M, et al. Determination of the presence of antioxidants deriving from sage and oregano extracts added to animal fat by means of assessment of the radical scavenging capacity by photochemiluminescence analysis. Nahrung 2001;45(2):101-104. View Abstract
  31. Walter BM, Bilkei G. Immunostimulatory effect of dietary oregano etheric oils on lymphocytes from growth-retarded, low-weight growing-finishing pigs and productivity. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd 2004;129(6):178-181. View Abstract
  32. Wheeler M, Bennett B, Marks H. Isolation of light filth from ground oregano and ground marjoram: a modification using isopropanol as a defatting agent: in-house study. J AOAC Int 2002;85(3):676-681. View Abstract

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 10:04pm

Hope you find this helpful...

from...

pneumococcal pneumonia

including the elderly, people who have diabetes, chronic heart, lung, or kidney disease, those with alcoholism, cigarette smokers, and in those people who have had their spleen removed.

Antibiotics often used in the treatment of this type of pneumonia include
penicillin, amoxicillin and clavulanic acid (Augmentin, Augmentin XR), and macrolide antibiotics including erythromycin, azithromycin (Zithromax, Zmax), and clarithromycin (Biaxin).

Penicillin was formerly the antibiotic of choice in treating this infection. With the advent and widespread use of broader-spectrum antibiotics, significant drug resistance has developed. Penicillin may still be effective in treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia, but it should only be used after cultures of the bacteria confirm their sensitivity to this antibiotic.

Klebsiella pneumoniae and Hemophilus influenzae
..........................................................................................

are bacteria that often cause pneumonia in people suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or alcoholism. Useful antibiotics in this case are the second- and third-generation cephalosporins, amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, fluoroquinolones (levofloxacin [Levaquin], moxifloxacin-oral [Avelox], gatifloxacin-oral [Tequin], and sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim [Bactrim, Septra]).

Mycoplasma pneumoniae

is a type of bacteria that often causes a slowly developing infection. Symptoms include fever, chills, muscle aches, diarrhea, and rash. This bacterium is the principal cause of many pneumonias in the summer and fall months, and the condition often referred to as "atypical pneumonia." Macrolides (erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, and fluoroquinolones) are antibiotics commonly prescribed to treat Mycoplasma pneumonia.

Legionnaire's disease

is caused by the bacterium Legionella pneumoniae that is most often found in contaminated water supplies and air conditioners. It is a potentially fatal infection if not accurately diagnosed. Pneumonia is part of the overall infection, and symptoms include high fever, a relatively slow heart rate, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and chest pain. Older men, smokers, and people whose immune systems are suppressed are at higher risk of developing Legionnaire's disease. Fluoroquinolones are the treatment of choice in this infection. This infection is often diagnosed by a special urine test looking for specific antibodies to the specific organism.

Mycoplasma,

Legionnaire's, and

another infection,

Chlamydia pneumoniae,

all cause a syndrome known as
"atypical pneumonia."

In this syndrome, the chest x-ray shows diffuse abnormalities, yet the patient does not appear severely ill. These infections are very difficult to distinguish clinically and often require laboratory evidence for confirmation.

Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia

is another form of pneumonia that usually involves both lungs. It is seen in patients with a compromised immune system, either from chemotherapy for cancer, HIV/AIDS, and those treated with TNF (tumor necrosis factor), such as for rheumatoid arthritis. Once diagnosed, it usually responds well to sulfa-containing antibiotics. Steroids are often additionally used in more severe cases.

Viral pneumonias

do not typically respond to antibiotic treatment. These infections can be caused by adenoviruses, rhinovirus, influenza virus (flu), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and parainfluenza virus (that also causes croup). These pneumonias usually resolve over time with the body's immune system fighting off the infection. It is important to make sure that a bacterial pneumonia does not secondarily develop. If it does, then the bacterial pneumonia is treated with appropriate antibiotics. In some situations, antiviral therapy is helpful in treating these conditions.

Fungal infections that can lead to pneumonia

include histoplasmosis, coccidiomycosis, blastomycosis, aspergillosis, and cryptococcosis.

These are responsible for a relatively small percentage of pneumonias in the United States. Each fungus has specific antibiotic treatments, among which are amphotericin B, fluconazole (Diflucan), penicillin, and sulfonamides.
Major concerns have developed in the medical community regarding the overuse of antibiotics.

Most sore throats and upper respiratory infections are caused by viruses rather than bacteria. Though antibiotics are ineffective against viruses, they are often prescribed. This excessive use has resulted in a variety of bacteria that have become resistant to many antibiotics. These resistant organisms are commonly seen in hospitals and nursing homes. In fact, physicians must consider the location when prescribing antibiotics (community-acquired pneumonia, or CAP, versus hospital-acquired pneumonia, or HAP).

The more virulent organisms often come from
the health-care environment,
either the hospital or nursing homes.

These organisms have been exposed to a variety of the strongest antibiotics that we have available.

They tend to develop resistance to some of these antibiotics.

These organisms are referred to as nosocomial bacteria
and can cause what is known as nosocomial pneumonia
when the lungs become infected.

Recently, one of these resistant organisms from the hospital has become quite common in the community.

In some communities, up to 50% of Staph aureus infections are due to organisms resistant to the antibiotic methicillin.

This organism is referred to as MRSA
(methicillin-resistant Staph aureus) and requires special antibiotics when it causes infection. It can cause pneumonia but also frequently causes skin infections. In many hospitals, patients with this infection are placed in contact isolation.
Their visitors are often asked to wear gloves, masks, and gowns. This is done to help prevent the spread of this bacteria to other surfaces where they can inadvertently contaminate whatever touches that surface. It is therefore very important to wash your hands thoroughly and frequently to limit further spread of this resistant organism.

Mary008

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 7:07am
Bactrim is a very powerful antibiotic that will cover just about any bacterial infection pretty good. It has side effects that are a pain in the arse though.

I'm not sure of the shelf life, but I think it's right around a year or so.

Tetracycline derivatives (Like doxycycline et al) are pretty good at licking quite a few too and is what they give military people before we go into crappy places.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 9:29pm

Ask your Doctor for Generic, much less expensive

http://www.canadadrugcenter.com/index.asp      you can get an idea of prices here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic