Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

February prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February prepping
    Posted: February 04 2010 at 9:36am
Sorry my February prepping post is late, but we just went without electricity/heat for a week with the ice storm here in Oklahoma. This months adgenda for my family, after being without heat is an alternative heating source. We were able to get a friend who drove down to Texas to get us a ventless natural gas heater (5 days into the no power). Up for discussion is a generator and propane heater. Which right now there are none to be found.
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 12:34pm
Penham, I read your story on the other forum. Pretty cool stuff to think about. You could re-post it here as it will help people to prep.

You can pickup inexpensive catalytic propane heaters and a few 20lb propane tanks. The propane tanks double as barbecue fuel to heat your food in an emergency. You can get an adaptor that allows heaters that run off the 1 pound tanks to work on the 20lb tanks.

I guessed that your electricity went out and posted about it on January 30th in the mod forum. It's been pretty uneventful here. I only deleted a few spams posts.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 5:41pm
and a few 20lb propane tanks.

Is there any danger in storing them?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

and a few 20lb propane tanks.
Is there any danger in storing them?

When your at the beach cooking marshmallows by a log fire. Don't throw one in the fire pit! Some idiot did that with a little 16.4 oz. propane tank and it exploded tossing all the burning logs and even the hot rocks onto a party of people.

For homes store them outside where they're away from any ignition source. Protect from rain and don't sit them where water can rust out the bottoms. Avoid direct sunlight and put them in a spot where they have plenty of fresh air.

http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderstorage.htm

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 2:35am
Mary, I read that cute message you deleted.

Tease... Long pause... awkwardness...

;)

Pookey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 9:47am
Penham,
May I suggest that you get the generator, if for nothing more than for peace of mind.  I have two.  One is a 5000 watt beast set up to run off of gasoline or propane/natural gas and the other is a small Honda 2000EU.  After hurricane Ike I fell in love with the Honda.  I never even fired up the large generator, finding the Honda with its one 20 amp circuit to be adequate.  It ran the refrigerator, TV, some lights and a fan at the same time. 

What I liked about the Honda:
1) It is quiet (the big generators make a hell of a racket)
2) It is electronic (the motor only runs as fast as needed for the load)
3) It has pure sign wave output (good for electronic devices)
4) It sips gas about 1 gallon a day (while others were out scrounging for gasoline I had 30 gallons stored)
5) It weighs 40 pounds, so I can lug it around.

What I did not like:
1) It would not run my Mr Coffee.  I pulled a stove top percolator out of my preps.  I was fortunate to still have water and natural gas.
2) Having extension cords run through out the house. 
3) Finding that my small window AC unit was dead out of the box.

Be sure to get a CO detector, good extension cords and some power strips.  I had plenty of 12 gauge cords in various lengths and one 10 gauge cord on hand.  I also chained the generator to a tree.

Many people rushed out and got the biggest generator they could find not realizing how loud and thirsty they can be.  Some also got no name generators that did not hold up very long.

I have not tried nor tested this, but I think my forced air natural gas heating system runs off of one 120 volt electric circuit with a switch in the closet that runs the blower.  I've been thinking that in an emergency, I could wire into this switch and have the furnace running off of a generator as long as I still have natural gas flowing.  I would use the large generator for this since there is no telling how much startup surge would be pulled by the induction motor for the blower.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 6:31pm
I have thought long and hard about a generator. I have looked into the larger generator that takes over as soon as the electric goes off only about 5K - 6K. My problem with the small generators is you have to store gasoline...not something I want to do and then if times are really bad you will run out of gas and the generator is not doing any good.

The large generator I looked at runs off of natural gas that is piped in to the machine. Now the problem with that unit is that you have to "maintain" this unit. It runs a test run on it's own every week but you have to change gaskets and put oil into it on a regular basis. Heck I am not good on taking care of my car so this is just another worry.

If times get really bad can all the meat you have in the freezer...I purchased a pressure canner and have the jars and lids on hand. Eat ASAP the meat you can not can.   

Get a wood stove and stock pile wood not as scary as gasoline and a wood stove or insert will keep several rooms really warm. You can also cook in a wood stove...carefully but you can do it. I have a camp coffee maker and I do not need AC in Colorado nights cool down really well. I just do not see a need for a generator. IMHO
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:44pm
you have to "maintain" this unit. It runs a test run on it's own every week

yes... my parents have one, it requires calling the company to come over and.. reset it and

well they are over about twice a yr doing something with it.

I opted for a nat gas stove... it makes water hot for tea or noodles... it is on battery virtually stress free :)  it puts humidity into the air ( iron enamaled water pot )

if the elec. goes out.. we are still warm.

Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 2:00pm
Mary I have read somewhere that natural gas has to be pumped down pipes and that the pumps battries will only last a few days without electricity, I don't know if this info appertains to the Uk only or affects other countries as well.
I need to find an aternate heat source, I live in a rented house in a area that is smoke free zone which means no wood burning stove, can be fined burning garden rubbish outside.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 10:46pm
We had natural gas the whole time we did not have electricity. Our hot water heater is natural gas, so we did have hot water the whole time. After 5 days into the storm, we also got a ventless, natural gas heater to install on the wall, a friend actually drove to Texas, 75 miles for propane, because there was none to be found around here and picked us up a ventless heater while she was down there, because there were no type of heaters of any type to be found around here either or generators. We had someone install the heater on the wall, we had an active gas line that had been capped off that was originally used for heating the house this way, prior to having CHA years ago (house built in 1930). We had the gas company check it and recap it when we bought the house 10-11 years ago, so I knew it was still active. Already have a CO detector.

We are trying to figure out what size generator we would need.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 7:05pm
Penham, you peaked my interest and I went and got the answer I was looking for in relation to natural gas. Your gas kept coming through because they still had electricty to the compressor stations.

I guess I only want a generator if life goes to hell in a hand basket for several months or years. After reading this I would not depend on a natural gas generator and all it's expense of maintenance not to mention the initial expense of purchase. So here is what I found:

Compressor Stations

As mentioned, natural gas is highly pressurized as it travels through an interstate pipeline. To ensure that the natural gas flowing through any one pipeline remains pressurized, compression of this natural gas is required periodically along the pipe. This is accomplished by compressor stations, usually placed at 40 to 100 mile intervals along the pipeline. The natural gas enters the compressor station, where it is compressed by either a turbine, motor, or engine.

A Compressor Station
Source: Duke Energy Gas Transmission Canada
Turbine compressors gain their energy by using up a small proportion of the natural gas that they compress. The turbine itself serves to operate a centrifugal compressor, which contains a type of fan that compresses and pumps the natural gas through the pipeline. Some compressor stations are operated by using an electric motor to turn the same type of centrifugal compressor. This type of compression does not require the use of any of the natural gas from the pipe, however it does require a reliable source of electricity nearby. Reciprocating natural gas engines are also used to power some compressor stations. These engines resemble a very large automobile engine, and are powered by natural gas from the pipeline. The combustion of the gas powers pistons on the outside of the engine, which serves to compress the natural gas.

In addition to compressing natural gas, compressor stations also usually contain some type of liquid separator, much like the ones used to dehydrate natural gas during its processing. Usually, these separators consist of scrubbers and filters that capture any liquids or other undesirable particles from the natural gas in the pipeline. Although natural gas in pipelines is considered 'dry' gas, it is not uncommon for a certain amount of water and hydrocarbons to condense out of the gas stream while in transit. The liquid separators at compressor stations ensure that the natural gas in the pipeline is as pure as possible, and usually filters the gas prior to compression.

From what I gather from this is electricity is needed and if that really goes down then natural gas will not make it to my "house". I would consider a natural gas generator if every station had backup motors that used natural gas from the pipeline to compress and clean the gas that needed to be pumped to my "house".   

I now prep only for worst case scenario. I am slowly going to all #10 cans that will last years. I will always have enough can goods for several months but for long term preps I have gone to the #10 long term cans, so I do not have to worry about spoilage for several years.

Thank you for asking the generator question I finally got some answers.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 7:15pm

Ro ... Just when i thought I was all safe and comfy...  you come along with a dose of reality :)    gee...  I liked pretending that my little stove was my hero .  I guess we have been very fortunate here.  We have hydo-electric power and in the 14 yrs I owned a home here there was only a brown out a few times.   Our wood pile is getting rather low now.

thanks for the info Flumom, very interesting to know.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 1:02pm
Thanks for the info about the natural gas, Flumom. We have been considering a propane heater also. We can't do a wood burning stove, as it bothers my asthma/allergies, I wish we could, as that seems to be the easiest. Especially since we have access to alot of free wood around here.
Dr.Who View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Sorry my February prepping post is late, but we just went without electricity/heat for a week with the ice storm here in Oklahoma. This months adgenda for my family, after being without heat is an alternative heating source. We were able to get a friend who drove down to Texas to get us a ventless natural gas heater (5 days into the no power). Up for discussion is a generator and propane heater. Which right now there are none to be found.

I assume you have natural gas with forced air as your source of heat. You need both the gas to run and the electricity to run. If  the electric goes off but the gas stays on then you need a generator to run the fan on your furnace. But that will only work as long as you have gasoline and you can't keep the generator going all the time especially when the furnace is off. You would need to manually turn on the generator when you want the furnace to run. You would also need to have a way to wire it into the furnace.

The ventless model, if it has no fan would work on gas alone and just may provide enough warmth to keep you going. But I would warn everyone that ventless models are only designed to be run for a couple of hours at a time becase they DO put out poisonous gasses - just not in the quantities that vented models do. A vented model is safer for long term use.

A natural gas generator would run your furnace and also many other electric appliances in your home. But they are expensive. Of course the gas needs to keep flowing.

You say that burning wood is out of the question because of rules. But if both the gas and the electric were off who really would be out watching what you do and be around to fine you. If they did fine you might it not be worth the cost? There are some nice models that burn outside your home and transfer the heat inside so your asthma would not be bothered.

Good luck.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 7:19am
Yes, we have natural gas heat, with forced air for our regular heating system.

The ventless natural gas heaters are perfectly safe. We lived in another house that I still own, prior to buying this house that the only heat source was natural gas ventless heat. Many, many of the homes here in this area heat with ventless natural gas heaters as their only source of heat. The gas company even sells them and will install them for you, and all the building supply  stores here also sell them, as well as the natural gas fireplaces. Maybe it is something popular in just this area, since Oklahoma is one of the major natural gas producers? I know when we were military we moved around alot and on the east coast people heat with heating oil, with it pretty much unheard of as a heating source around here. Of course, always use a carbon monoxide detector.

I have a friend in Kansas that got one of the wood burning heaters outside the home and it was $10,000, so they are a bit pricey, although there probably are some cheaper models. I would need to find someone around here who has one so I could test it out. All I know is whenever I go into anyone's house that has a wood burning stove, I can't stay very long as it starts to affect my asthma.

The natural gas generator run around $5000, at least the one I have looked at locally does. 
Dr.Who View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 1:52pm
Well, Penham you may know far more about this than I as I have only a casual interest and you are in the midst of making a decision on this. I will also freely admit that I was only thinking about ventless fireplaces and not all available options. Perhaps that was my error.

When I realized that I did a quick check and found this quote in a pretty good article on heating options:

"A warning: Ventless gas
heaters can expose occupants to combustion by-productss
and oxygen depletion, as can stand-alone kerosene,
propane, and oil heaters. Because of these hazards, at least
five states prohibit vent-free heaters in homes, and many
individual cities have banned them as well."

Here is the link:
http://homepower.com/view/?file=HP123_pg50_Thorne_Amann

I think it is worth noting that the quote refers to ventless heaters as a generality and does not say that ALL ventless systems are a hazard.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 9:12pm
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(q1avdha03zje0t55dpqa0o3q)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=49956

This is the type natural gas ventless blue flame heater we got installed on the wall, only ours heats a larger space than this one does. It hides neatly behind a piece of furniture when not in use. You can check at  http://www.ventfree.org/ to find out what type heaters are legal in your state.

Still thinking about another alternative heating source too.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 10:38pm

Seems the info goes both ways...   If I had a modern air tight home I might think twice... as it talks about enough ... air ... many homes have air rushing in... doors, windows, people in and out .

...you must make sure that the heater is getting enough oxygen to provide uninterrupted service. Propane needs oxygen for burning and hence you must mount the heater accordingly in such a space where it can gather enough oxygen.

I found this info...

Great Answer

Professionally Researched.

On One Hand: There Are Minor Risks from CO and Humidity

Like all ventless heating systems, a ventless propane heater lacks a chimney or flue, so it dumps its exhaust indoors. Propane heaters are extremely efficient, but incomplete combustion may produce carbon monoxide (CO), a toxic gas that can cause death. Water vapor, a more common exhaust product, can also damage the structure over the long term.

On the Other: They Have an Outstanding Safety Record

As the building industry points out, there's little if any danger of CO build-up if a ventless propane heater is properly installed and maintained and is equipped with an Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS). The ODS is designed to automatically switch off the unit if the ambient oxygen level falls too low. Adequate ventilation also deters CO and water vapor problems.

Bottom Line

A professionally installed and serviced ventless propane heater is safe, as long as it has an ODS and is used exclusively in a room with good circulation. Pre-1980 models, which might not contain an ODS, should not be used.

More...

Propane Ventless Heater

Disadvantages of ventless propane heaters

You can plan the propane gas supply to your ventless propane heater in any way you want but you have to ensure that you have vented the room or place properly. Though the name of these heaters is ventless propane heaters but gas heaters are not totally ventless.

For making the device operate smoothly without any shortcoming, enough supply of oxygen is a must that is possible only with proper circulation of air and right ventilation.
Thought ventless propane heaters are excellent products but there is certain health risks associated too. That is why ventless propane heaters are banned in certain parts such as Massachusetts, California and Canada. The officials have declared this device as unsuitable for usage. This is because the ventless propane heaters make complete use of oxygen that can cause suffocation to those who are inside the room.

Apart from that, various processes of combustion may not completely burn the propane and thus there is not just suffocation due to oxygen loss but also chances of inhaling dangerous carbon dioxide too. Not just that, the level of humidity also rises in the room and that promote the growth of fungi and bacteria, leading to severe allergies and diseases.
Hence, if you are planning to buy ventless propane heaters then you should check with the permit issuance sections of your local government.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 9:09am
The propane heaters do kind of scare me, the portable type like you would use for an emergency. I guess, because I am not really familiar with propane. I have a few friends that during the ice storm the only heat source they had was their propane fireplace/heater which is installed in the house. I know all the newer models of natural gas and propane heaters have the Oxygen Depletion Sensors and automatically turn off if there is a problem.

BTW, we do NOT have a modern airtight home, our house was built in 1930. I also might think twice if there was not enough air circulation, but with kids, dogs and cats running in and out and the old house, we're good with air flow.

Although I am still considering a propane heater, I will have to do more research and get more comfortable with it myself. I want to be open to whatever's out there before making a decision. Of course the decision will also be based on financial resources.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 5:22pm
BTW, we do NOT have a modern airtight home, our house was built in 1930.

you will be safe :)      we are also in a vintage home..but  If I had a modern air tight home I might think twice... as it talks about enough ... air ... many homes have air rushing in... doors, windows, people in and out .

there is a window near where our gas stove vents and the guys went on about how we were to never open the window and even nail it... but we have never opened it even before the stove was put in...there are newer windows to open...crank out type.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic