Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Preparing for the Human H5N1 Outbreakhttp://www.av
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Preparing for the Human H5N1 Outbreakhttp://www.av

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preparing for the Human H5N1 Outbreakhttp://www.av
    Posted: March 25 2010 at 5:13am
http://********/preparing-human-h5n1-bird-flu-outbreak.php

I have no idea why the link above has been starred out. If it is banned link then delete this thread. I am putting _in so link is still accessible.

http://www.avian**************

Thursday March 25, 2010

The following are guidelines suggested by the US Department of Health and Human Services in case of a avian influenza ( Bird flu ) outbreak in the United States. These guidelines should also apply to anyone preparing for an outbreak.

Buy extra canned goods each time you shop, along with other non-perishable foods such as dried beans, rice, peanut butter, crackers, canned juices, granola bars, powdered milk and bottled water. Widespread flu infections could require grocery stores to close or to limit deliveries if employees are too sick to work. Such stocks can also be used in other types of emergencies.

Have non-prescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins. If you have young children, stock up on baby food and diapers.

Stock up on batteries and candles, and be prepared for rolling brownouts or blackouts, and the possibility of no phone service.

Medclinician
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 8:25pm
Please post the link directly to the US Department of Health, not to information on another bird flu board. This would be the reason it is blocked. Thanks!
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Medclinician Medclinician wrote:

http://********/preparing-human-h5n1-bird-flu-outbreak.php

I have no idea why the link above has been starred out. If it is banned link then delete this thread. I am putting _in so link is still accessible.

Buy extra canned goods each time you shop, along with other non-perishable foods such as dried beans, rice, Medclinician

I found this the other day, so I thought I would share this with you.
Some research on  Brown Rice:

Two experiments were conducted to determine whether rice that has been genetically produced to express human lactoferrin (LF) or lysozyme (LZ) protects the intestinal tract similarly to subtherapeutic antibiotics (bacitracin + roxarsone; Antibiotics). Experiment 1 compared 10 corn-soy diets containing 20% of various proportions of LF, LZ or conventional rice (CONV). Chicks fed 5% LF + 10% LZ + 5% CONV had significantly better feed efficiency and thinner lamina propria in the duodenum than those fed 20% CONV. Experiment 2 compared five corn-soy diets containing experimental rice combinations totaling 15% rice. Chicks fed 10% LZ + 5% CONV or 5% LF + 10% LZ had significantly lower feed intake and significantly better feed efficiency than those fed 15% CONV. Chicks fed 10% LZ + 5% CONV, 5% LF + 10% LZ or Antibiotics had significantly greater villous height in the duodenum compared with chicks fed 15% CONV. The lamina propria of the ileum was thinner and contained fewer leukocytes in chicks fed 10% LZ + 5% CONV or Antibiotics compared with those fed 15% CONV. The results from these experiments demonstrate a potential of genetically produced LF and LZ rice to be used as a substitute for antibiotics in broiler diets. ...
and:
The approach of reinforcing the innate immune system by feeding protective proteins normally found along the intestinal epithelium may have applications beyond chickens. In particular, weanling baby pigs are very reliant on dietary antibiotics for maintenance of intestinal health and prevention of diarrhea. Because the transgenic proteins used in these experiments were of human origin, this strategy may also be relevant to the nutrition of human infants.

To see the entire article:

I finally figured it out:
 the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

- Rita Mae Brown -

Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 4:33pm
Don't forget to soak your brown rice overnight in the refrigerator before cooking, especially if you are a diabetic. Here's why:

Marian Wright Edelman:
We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic