Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Immigration Problem (Hot--Potato)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 3:42pm

Please sign the petition above...

a community identification card ?

In Trenton, Issuing IDs for Illegal Immigrants

............................................................................................................................................ 

By Kirk Semple - The New York Times | Published: 05/17/10 at 3:32 PM

Mary008
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 6:15pm
Activists protest Lakers Coach Phil Jackson's comments on Arizona's new immigration law!
latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/05/activists-protest-lakers-coach-phil-jackons-comments-on-arizonas-new-immigration-law.html

Good for Coach Jackson, At least he has a spine to speak his mind!
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 10:47pm

Illegal Immigrants Costing Ariz. Billions

EXCLUSIVE: Taxpayers pay $2.7 billion,
according public interest group that helped write new immigration law

Mary008
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 6:18pm
President Obama will Deploy over a Thousand Troops to the Border

Obama to send 1,200 troops to border

The National Guard troops will work on intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support, analysis and training, and support efforts to block drug trafficking. They will temporarily supplement border patrol agents until Customs and Border Protection can recruit and train additional officers and agents to serve on the border, an administration official said.

Full Article Below

Or Here

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 8:14pm

GOP's proposal -- $2 billion, as many as 6,000 troops --

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 8:32pm

La Shawn Barber's Corner

Praising Arizona: 17 States Considering Immigration Bills
..................................................................................................

by La Shawn on 05.25.10
in Illegal Aliens

Article-
http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2010/05/25/praising-arizona
-17-states-considering-immigration-bills/

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 9:00pm

Ray Suarez
speaks out on immigration...

What do you think? Let us know what's on your mind.

(excerpts from)

Ray-

"...It would only be when residents of the state came into contact with law enforcement

for other reasons that officers would check on legal status in the country. "

Good idea... Troopers routinely check tires/car inspection in New York... that

would be a good time to enquire.

Ray-

"...apart from just being here, which is a kind of existential crime, I guess..."

I guess so too Ray.

Aside from all your , as I see it,  "shuffle Talk"   Bottom line ... tax payers

don't want to support illegals no matter - where - they come from.

Ray-

"...knottier challenges involved in creating a path to citizenship for millions of illegal residents."

No Ray, no path for millions, they need to leave. 

We can't afford them .. we can't afford our Legal Children...

You must be aware of hunger in America?   Hungry Americans?

Ray-

"...able to cope with a significant change to their labor costs."

We can arrange for "guest workers" with legal papers... not entire families.

(Families need to apply through legal Channels... we welcome them. )

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 7:17am

....White House said it has not decided where...

Still No Word on Troops to Texas-Mexico Border
................................................................................

Perry's request goes ignored for more than a year

By OMAR VILLAFRANCA

Mary008
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 7:16pm

Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 3:28 PM

"Oh… And, the National Guard troops will not be armed"

The illegal immigrants aren’t just from Mexico:
http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2009-aprehensions.jpg
(FOX News)

Mexican President Calderon was right.
Those 1,200 National Guard troops who are being sent to the border… Will not be used to curb illegal immigration.
The AFP reported:

US National Guard troops being sent to the Mexican border will be used to stem the flow of guns and drugs across the frontier and not to enforce US immigration laws, the State Department said Wednesday.

The clarification came after the Mexican government urged Washington not to use the additional troops to go after illegal immigrants.

President Barack Obama on Tuesday authorized the deployment of up to 1,200 additional troops to border areas but State Department spokesman Philip Crowley told reporters, “It’s not about immigration.”

He said the move was “fully consistent with our efforts to do our part to stem, you know, violence, to interdict the flow of dangerous people and dangerous goods — drugs, guns, people.”

He said the extra troops would be used to free up civilians engaged in support functions so that law enforcement personnel can be increased along the 2,000-mile-long (3,200 kilometer) border.

Nearly 13 million Mexicans live in the United States, more than half of them illegally.

“We have explained the president’s announcement to the government of Mexico, and they fully understand the rationale behind it,” Crowley said.

Oh… And, the National Guard troops will not be armed.

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 7:56pm

"This is absolutely bizzare, politicizing law enforcement to disobey the laws of this country, and making it an active part of presidential political policy. This is truly a criminal act of subversion at the worst level, since in effect, it legitimizes illegal criminal behavior at the expense of and against America and the American People."
-------------------------------------------
"Of course the MSM left out any mention of PERF or the fact that the chiefs belonged to PERF or what the agenda of PERF is. If not for the new media, these facts would never have seen the light of day. This is a shining example of why the establishment will someday in the near future move to restrict this flow of information. People are being shown what is behind the veil and this just has to stop, the darn people are catching on to the way the game is played. "

As if we needed one, here’s another item showing  bias in the way the mainstream media covers the controversial  Arizona illegal immigration law. Many major news organizations, including, MSNBC, CNN, and USA Today for example, covered a story about a group of Police Chiefs who met with A.G. Eric Holder to register their objections to the Arizona law.

holder

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder met with about a dozen police chiefs today, including the top cops from Phoenix, Los Angeles and Houston, to discuss Arizona’s strict new immigration law.

The police chiefs told the attorney general the new law threatens to “drive a wedge” between their communities and law enforcement, according to the Associated Press. Police chiefs from Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Salt Like City and San Jose, Calif. will also attended today’s meeting with Holder.

NPR reports that the chiefs told Holder that having to determine whether a person is in the United States illegally will break down the trust that police have built in communities.

If that happens, “we will be unable to do our jobs,” said Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck. “Laws like this will actually increase crime, not decrease crime.

The Wall Street Journal quotes Tucson police chief Roberto Villaseñor as saying the Arizona  law:

“… will severely strain our resources. We doubt the federal government can even handle the number of people that we will bring to them now for verification on immigration status.”

Mr. Villaseñor also said lower violent- and property-crime rates in recent years are the result of community policing methods that would be damaged if immigrant communities are afraid of dealing with police officers.

illegal%20immigrants

At first glance this all seems like a perfectly normal news story, but there was a very important piece of information left out: the meeting was arraigned by the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) and the police chiefs attending the meeting were members of PERF. (Holder is an “old friend of PERF, he addressed their convention in April) . In the rare cases where a news organization mentioned the PERF connection (the NPR story referenced above is the only one I could find) they neglected to mention that PERF is an organization that objects to any enforcement of immigration laws directed at the illegal alien (as opposed to an employer who hires illegals). The Forum describes itself as a “national organization of progressive police executives.”

PERF is a national organization of progressive police executives from the largest city, county and state law enforcement agencies. PERF defines racially biased policing as “inappropriate consideration by law enforcement of race / ethnicity in deciding with whom and how to interview in an enforcement capacity.” PERF works with a diverse group of law enforcement officials, community activists, civil rights leaders and academics to set their standards and policies. These include the U.S. Attorney General’s Office, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Northern California, ACLU of Maryland, International Union of Police Associations, Union Baptist Church, and numerous law enforcement executives, partnership with the U.S. Department of Justice Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Program.

If the reporters had done some legwork they would have found the group is not just against the Arizona law, it is against any enforcement of immigration laws. For example, last July the group protested the federal program that trains local police departments to get involved in enforcing immigration law:

The PERF summit attendees also criticized implementation of the federal “287(g)” program that has involved many police agencies in civil immigration enforcement, rather than focusing on the serious criminals it was intended to address. Their analysis bolstered a recent Police Foundation report, which found that “civil immigration enforcement by local police undermines their core public safety mission, diverts scarce resources, increases their exposure to liability and litigation, and exacerbates fear in our communities.

One amnesty summit was not enough for the Obama administration. About a month later, White House and Homeland Security officials joined about 100 police chiefs and administrators from across the United States at a “National Summit on Local Immigration Policies,” hosted by the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) in Phoenix. During the closed-door meetings, the PERF Summit participants agreed that the U.S. needs a “comprehensive” new law, including an amnesty for illegal aliens.

An April 2010 article in the Colorado Springs Gazette reported that Colorado Springs police Chief Richard Myers spoke at a PERF forum about immigration:

“It’s not our job to deal with all the social issues and the political/ philosophical aspects, but there needs to be some differentiation between criminal aliens and those who are here undocumented with no other criminal offense,” Myers said.

Somebody  ought to explain to Chief Myers,that if someone comes into the country illegally, that qualifies them as a criminal alien. And someone has to explain to the media, that giving half the story is just as biased as lying.

On second thought,  judging by their track record, I don’t think they care very much.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 8:29pm

You Go Gov !

Yahoo News

Ariz. Gov. Brewer wants separating fence completed

...................................................................................................

The Associated Press

_ylt=A0wNdO9hcQhM2kgBhVJBXYh4;_ylu=X3oDMTNlYXV0aDRvBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwN

jA0L3VzX29iYW1hX2FyaXpvbmFfZ292ZXJub3IEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMyBH
BvcwMyBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDYXJp
emdvdmJyZXdl

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 9:20pm

Drug cartel reportedly plotted to blow up Texas dam
.........................................................................................

Thu Jun 3, 2:09 pm ET

Mexican and U.S. authorities were "secretly scrambling" last month to thwart a Mexican drug cartel's plot to blow up a Texas dam that would have flooded an area with about 4 million inhabitants...

Article here-

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 10:21am

What is not understood about the word illegal?  
I'm illegal.....   and I protest?

this illegal fellow says...

"I'm not afraid, and I have to take a stand."

Is he from an alternate universe where illegal is a good thing? 

I wasn't aware that people in the US  illegally had a right to protest.

Try that in Canada or Russia... won't go over well.

Time to tell CONGRESS... Don't look for votes ... look after Taxpayers rights.

This is about-

Undocumented Students... ie. Illegals.  For some odd reason they don't want to use

illegal immigrants ... in the title of the article?

Student immigrants use civil rights-era strategies
.....................................................................................

Jun 4, 12:16 AM (ET)
By RUSSELL CONTRERAS

BOSTON (AP) - They gather on statehouse steps with signs and bullhorns,
risking arrest. They attend workshops on civil disobedience and personal storytelling,
and they hold sit-ins and walk out of class in protest.

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 2:14pm

LA social studies teacher Jose Lara interviewing teachers and students on May 28 at

the headquarters of an organization calling for a Mexican revolution on U.S. soil.

Jose...   teaches at the Unified School District's

Santee Education Complex

with Ron Gochez, another social studies teacher who came under fire last month after

he was identified making incendiary remarks...

Take Kids on a Protest Trip to Arizona

By Jana Winter

Published June 09, 2010

FOXNews.com

read the story here-

Mary008
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 12:36pm

Please Watch the Videos...........We need to Secure the Border NOW !!!!
Regardless of when Legal immigration reform is done.  This is not and never has been a racial/ethnic issue for the people of AZ......it is a Security and Economic one for this state and the entire Country.

Our Country can't afford to wait for a political debate for agenda purposes. 

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Videos On What Is Really Happening On Our Border With Mexico

Border Wilderness – Too Dangerous for the Public

The US no longer controls many wilderness, park, monument and wildlife refuges along our southern border. Drug cartels control these areas. Land designations have a significant impact on the ability of the Border Patrol to effectively control crime, due to the numerous restrictions imposed, such as no use of motorized vehicles and no mechanized equipment. Our wilderness, national wildlife refuges, monuments and other federal lands along the Arizona border are becoming havens for criminal activity due to drug and human smuggling cartels that now "own" these areas. They understand the severe restrictions on Border Patrol and law enforcement, and it makes these areas very "criminal friendly". We must secure our borders and get law enforcement in these areas. Wilderness on the border does not make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6sPP7m8rA

Wilderness Threatens Border Security

The Department of Interior has actually put up vehicle barriers to keep the Border Patrol OUT of some DOI controlled lands. Federal Wilderness designation has a significant impact on the ability of the Border Patrol to effectively control crime, due to the numerous restrictions imposed. Our wilderness, national wildlife refuges, monuments and other federal lands along the Arizona border are becoming havens for criminal activity due to drug and human smuggling cartels that now "own" these areas. They understand the severe restrictions on Border Patrol and law enforcement, and it makes these areas very "criminal friendly". We must secure our borders and get law enforcement in these areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYcrK3p5O8

Trash On The Border

Our wilderness, national wildlife refuges, monuments and other federal lands along the Arizona border are being destroyed by illegal immigrants and drug smugglers. They are dumping TONS of trash, destroying vegetation and doing damage beyond comprehension to our wilderness, wildlife refuges, monuments and other federal and state owned land. We must secure our borders and get law enforcement in these areas to protect our natural resources. If this continues, these areas may never recover from the damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9iwjitsNyQ

The Price of Admission – Wilderness Rape Trees

Rape Trees in the Arizona wilderness represent unimaginable violent crime against women. Our wilderness, national wildlife refuges, monuments and other federal lands along the Arizona border are becoming havens for criminal activity due to drug and human smuggling cartels that now own these areas. Law enforcement is minimal due to environmental regulations. We must secure our borders and get law enforcement in these areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5-q3vQZ38o

Posted by Frank DuBois at 5:23 AM  

Labels: Border, Wilderness NM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment:

"The Sinaloan drug cartel, a super drug cartel, is now controlling the region
from Rocky Point, Sonora, Mexico, to Nogales, Sonora, Mexico," the sheriff's
release said. Really, well if my family can't go camping on BLM land south of
I-8 because of these cartel thugs then they own America all the way to I-8.
Where are our troops?!!! HELP! Hey Obama-nation can you hear us? Do you care?
Are you even an American?"

Pinal County deaths tied to Mexican drug wars

by KTAR.com (June 11th, 2010 @ 10:40am)

<> #printemaildigg{ display:block !important; }

FLORENCE, Ariz. -- Two men found shot to death in a remote desert area in western Pinal County were likely victims of ongoing violence of Mexican drug cartels, authorities said Friday.

The bodies of the two Hispanic males, believed to be Mexican nationals, were discovered several hours after a man, apparently one of the victims, called 911 the night of June 6. He said he and his "partner" had been shot near the spot where Deputy Louie Puroll was shot and wounded five weeks earlier while pursuing drug smugglers. The area is a corridor for drugs and human smugglers.

The Sheriff's Office said the 911 dispatcher and the caller were in contact for about 28 minutes.

Deputies found the men dead hours later. Autopsies confirmed they apparently had been shot with AK-47-type automatic weapons.

The Sheriff's office said it is working with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Mexican consulate to confirm the men's identities and notify next-of-kin.

The bodies were found about 500 yards from a migrant camp in Antelope Pass, an area commonly known for drug and human smuggling. The Sheriff's office said investigators have not been able to confirm if the men were part of the drug trade or what they were doing at the camp.

"The Sinaloan drug cartel, a super drug cartel, is now controlling the region from Rocky Point, Sonora, Mexico, to Nogales, Sonora, Mexico," the sheriff's release said. "They are the main drug cartel operating in western Pinal County and it is unknown whether these men are associated with this or another competing drug cartel."

Sheriff Paul Babeu said the deaths emphasize the need for the federal government to take action, including sending National Guard troops, to secure the border.

------------------------------------

Perilous Parkland: Homeland Security and the National Parks

Last Updated: July 24, 2009

Protecting national parks such as the Grand Canyon, Gettysburg, and the Statue of Liberty for future generations has been the #1 priority of the National Park Service since its inception. This stewardship has gone hand-in-hand with interpretation, as the agency seeks to accommodate, inspire, and educate nearly 300 million visitors annually.

But 2001 forced the agency to consider the protection and interpretation of many of its sites differently. When the Department of Homeland Security tightened control over some areas of the border, less-protected landscapes such as the national parks suddenly became popular ports of entry for drug smugglers (Department of the Interior agencies manage 39 percent of the southern border; in particular, the Park Service manages seven border parks).

Arizona’s Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, in particular, has become a well-known hot spot for illegal border entries, and Sequoia National Park in California has been targeted by Mexican drug cartels, which have relocated significant pot-growing operations to the park’s wooded backcountry. Over the past year, rangers have seized illegal drugs at several parks, including Coronado National Monument in Arizona, and Padre Island National Seashore and Amistad National Recreation Area in Texas.

continue reading...........
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 12:41pm

<> #printemaildigg{ display:block !important; }

FLORENCE, Ariz. -- Two men found shot to death in a remote desert area in western Pinal County were likely victims of ongoing violence of Mexican drug cartels, authorities said Friday.

The bodies of the two Hispanic males, believed to be Mexican nationals, were discovered several hours after a man, apparently one of the victims, called 911 the night of June 6. He said he and his "partner" had been shot near the spot where Deputy Louie Puroll was shot and wounded five weeks earlier while pursuing drug smugglers. The area is a corridor for drugs and human smugglers.

The Sheriff's Office said the 911 dispatcher and the caller were in contact for about 28 minutes.

Deputies found the men dead hours later. Autopsies confirmed they apparently had been shot with AK-47-type automatic weapons.

The Sheriff's office said it is working with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Mexican consulate to confirm the men's identities and notify next-of-kin.

The bodies were found about 500 yards from a migrant camp in Antelope Pass, an area commonly known for drug and human smuggling. The Sheriff's office said investigators have not been able to confirm if the men were part of the drug trade or what they were doing at the camp.

"The Sinaloan drug cartel, a super drug cartel, is now controlling the region from Rocky Point, Sonora, Mexico, to Nogales, Sonora, Mexico," the sheriff's release said. "They are the main drug cartel operating in western Pinal County and it is unknown whether these men are associated with this or another competing drug cartel."

Sheriff Paul Babeu said the deaths emphasize the need for the federal government to take action, including sending National Guard troops, to secure the border.

--------------------------------------------------

Perilous Parkland: Homeland Security and the National Parks

Last Updated: July 24, 2009

Protecting national parks such as the Grand Canyon, Gettysburg, and the Statue of Liberty for future generations has been the #1 priority of the National Park Service since its inception. This stewardship has gone hand-in-hand with interpretation, as the agency seeks to accommodate, inspire, and educate nearly 300 million visitors annually.

But 2001 forced the agency to consider the protection and interpretation of many of its sites differently. When the Department of Homeland Security tightened control over some areas of the border, less-protected landscapes such as the national parks suddenly became popular ports of entry for drug smugglers (Department of the Interior agencies manage 39 percent of the southern border; in particular, the Park Service manages seven border parks).

Arizona’s Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, in particular, has become a well-known hot spot for illegal border entries, and Sequoia National Park in California has been targeted by Mexican drug cartels, which have relocated significant pot-growing operations to the park’s wooded backcountry. Over the past year, rangers have seized illegal drugs at several parks, including Coronado National Monument in Arizona, and Padre Island National Seashore and Amistad National Recreation Area in Texas.

cont..

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 12:50pm

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 7:46pm

World

Drug cartels smuggling illegals create security risk, officials say

By: Sara A. Carter
National Security Correspondent
June 8, 2010

Smuggling of potential terrorists across the border is evolving into a billion dollar industry for Mexican drug cartels while posing a significant threat to the United States, according to federal law enforcement officials.

That was echoed in a recent assessment by the U.S. military's Southern Command that found drug cartels are taking advantage of a "largely unregulated" border to create security risk for the United States.

"Of particular concern is the smuggling of criminal aliens and gang members who pose public safety threats to communities throughout the border region and the country," said the Southern Command report obtained by The Washington Examiner. "These individuals include hundreds of undocumented aliens from special interest countries, primarily China, but also Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and Pakistan."

Department of Homeland Security policy requires that many illegal immigrants from countries that have been breeding grounds for anti-American sentiment, known as "special interest aliens," be released unless there is specific evidence of threat. Most fail to appear for hearings.

"We don't always know who we have in custody," said a DHS official who asked not to be named. "We still have a catch and release program, and we don't always know if those are good or bad guys. It's difficult to coordinate with our Mexican counterparts, and many times we have no idea who made it across with the aid of the cartels."

Rafael Lemaitre, senior spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection with DHS, said "upon apprehension, DHS makes determinations on admissibility and custody of special interest aliens on a case-by-case basis based on a variety of factors, including legal status, prior criminality and intelligence."

In the first five years after Sept. 11, DHS reported a 41 percent increase in arrests of illegal immigrants from countries known to have large populations of terrorists from al Qaeda or other anti-U.S. groups. In 2008, the DHS Office of Immigration Statistics reported that federal law enforcement agencies detained 791,568 deportable aliens. According to the agency, 5,506 of them were special interest aliens.

"Available reporting indicates that some alien smuggling organizations (ASOs) in Mexico specialize in moving special-interest aliens into the United States," stated a February 2010 National Drug Threat Assessment by the Department of Justice.

The DOJ threat assessment said no known terrorists had been apprehended at the U.S. border in the past five years. That did not surprise federal law enforcement agents and intelligence officers interviewed by The Examiner. They pointed out that reports on foreign nationals with terrorist ties caught at the border would not be made readily available to the public.

"As the cartels begin to realize the enormous amount of funding that's available in transporting special interest aliens, they'll do more of it," said a military official with knowledge of cartel operations. "We need to be mindful because this type of human smuggling is a definite threat to security and human smuggling is a billion dollar industry."

The Examiner first reported in March on the apprehension of 23 Somali illegal aliens in Mexico who were released in January by Mexican immigration officials. It was later discovered by U.S. intelligence and Mexican authorities that one of the men was a member of the Somali terrorist organization al Shabab, which has direct ties to al Qaeda. So far, the men have not been located.

In 2006, a federal report documented that a man who called himself Miguel Alfonso Salinas was apprehended by chance off a deserted highway near the U.S.-Mexico border in New Mexico. He was just one of 165,000 persons from countries other than Mexico who were apprehended that year. Of those, 650 were from special interest countries.

After a week of interrogations, the FBI discovered Salinas was really an Egyptian by the name of Ayman Sulmane Kamal. He was taken into custody, and no further information about him has been released by the federal government.

The Kamal case was an "example of getting lucky," a U.S. official said. "Just think, for every one that is captured, maybe two or three people from special interest nations get through. We don't know who they are or if they're planning anything -- we just keep hoping that we'll keep getting lucky."

scarter@washingtonexaminer.com

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/world/Drug-cartels-smuggling-illegals-create-security-risk_-officials-say-95815904.html#ixzz0qyoriymK
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 3:22pm
The video was interesting... amazing that it has gone on for so long... sad.

That our National Parks have been taken over by drug runners...

1, 200 for the entire border?

Video

Mary008
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 8:11pm

The Third Country 

Border residents express displeasure at fires, trash and a Border Patrol leader's comments

by Leo W. Banks

• Steve Cullen of Rodeo, New Mexico, took this photo of the Horseshoe Fire in the Chiricahua Wilderness. The fire began near a heavily used drug-smuggling trail, leading many to suspect the culprits are illegal aliens.

The wide-open country east of Douglas might be home to the most drug-smuggling activity in the United States. It's accessible along Geronimo Trail, a ribbon of dirt and rock that carries travelers into a starkly beautiful desert where shrubs tear at your flesh, and the only shade is under your hat.

If you want to understand the border war at its most basic, this is the place to come. I did so on Sunday, June 6, with a friend from Washington, D.C.

We drove along the trail, on the border road that parallels it a half-mile south, and into Guadalupe Canyon on the Arizona-New Mexico border.

I didn't need a passport.

Border residents will get the joke.

David Aguilar, deputy commissioner for Customs and Border Protection, was quoted in The Arizona Republic on May 2 as saying the border is not a fence or a line in the dirt, but a broad and complex corridor.

"It is a third country that joins Mexico and the United States," said Aguilar.

Coming five weeks after the murder of Rob Krentz, the remark left borderlands residents angry and bewildered.

"That's the stupidest thing he could've said," says Wendy Glenn, a rancher here. "What is he talking about? It's a no-man's land, but we're damn sure not a third country."

Hear the emotion in those words? Spend time along Geronimo Trail, and you'll understand why it's there. Folks here get daily reminders of how vulnerable they are.

Four days before my visit, on Wednesday, June 2, two Border Patrol agents working on Guadalupe Canyon Road, one-tenth of a mile north of the line, confronted four armed men in Mexican military uniforms. The road to Guadalupe connects with Geronimo Trail, 20 miles east of Douglas.

The intruders wore camouflage clothes, and one appeared to have lieutenant's bars on his uniform, according to a Border Patrol report. The international boundary in Guadalupe is not clearly marked, which contributed to the accidental entry, says Border Patrol spokesman Mario Escalante.

The encounter ended with the soldiers heeding the agents' request to return to their own country. "It was a great indicator of the working relationship we have with the Mexican government," says Escalante.

But sources tell the Weekly the soldiers carried long rifles and entered the U.S. by crawling under the wire fence marking the international border. The agents, armed only with pistols, didn't arrest the intruders, because they were outmanned and outgunned.

If arrests had been made, the incident might've gotten national publicity—because it occurred at roughly the same time that U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin was visiting the Glenn Ranch, six miles away.

Think about it: A top representative of an administration trying to convince the American people that the border is as secure as it's ever been, as Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano claims, coming perilously close to encountering the truth.

But on this Sunday, the truth about border security was written on the sky, literally. Throughout the day, we saw plumes of white smoke billowing off the Chiricahua Mountains, some 50 miles to the northeast.

As of our Tuesday, June 15, deadline, the Horseshoe fire had consumed 2,720 acres in the Chiricahua Wilderness and has cost $8.1 million.

The Forest Service says the fire is human-caused and under investigation. However, the investigation will probably end there. No blame will be set.

There had been no lighting on May 26, the fire's start date, and the probable ignition point is on one of the main smuggling trails in the Chiricahuas, eight-tenths of a mile north of an alien camp at Burro Springs.

And only two weeks before the Horseshoe fire began, there was another fire eight-tenths of a mile northeast of Burro Springs, but this one was quickly extinguished, says Bill Wilbur, head of Portal Fire and Rescue.

Two years ago, I hiked the trail into Burro Springs to photograph the garbage-filled camp. It was clear then that illegals make heavy use of that landscape, and they still do.

We can leave room for a sliver of doubt as to the culprits here, but circumstances strongly suggest it was illegal aliens. They set borderland fires regularly—to signal for rides, for rescue, to cook food, to dry clothes—and some get out of control.

Anna Magoffin, who lives on the east end of Geronimo Trail, has had six fires on her ranch in the last year, several of which she believes were set by smugglers heading back south; they were within sight of the Mexican line when they set them.

This is a land where logic seems to get flipped, and what you think should be true isn't at all. The border road, for example, is blocked by about 23 miles of vehicle barriers, intended to stop drug drive-throughs. They look formidable.

But mostly, they've accomplished the opposite, says Magoffin. "The smugglers now have access to open range across our ranch they didn't have before," she says. "I call it the 'super road.'"

To bring equipment in, the feds had to build the border road. Now, after ramping over the barriers, a fairly common occurrence, smugglers can drive east or west on the fancy, new road, looking for access north to the trail. They usually find it along Magoffin's fence lines.

She had one drive-through per year before the barriers. Now she has 20.

You hear an expression out on GTR—the cartel scouts are high-pointing us. It means they're on hilltops watching residents and Border Patrol as the scouts guide mules north.

As we drove east, trying not to look at the smoking Chiricahuas, I scanned the nearby hills looking for signs of them, maybe a glint of sunlight off a radio. Nothing.

But they leave trash and other evidence. In April, I photographed international monument marker 79, and back then, it was clean. By Sunday, it had been spray painted with the word putos, a Spanish slur meaning queer.

It seems incongruous that urban gangsters would cross this terrain. But they do.

On May 8, an illegal broke into Bill Snure's ranch in Skeleton Canyon, 48 miles northeast of Douglas, and stole food that the thief intended to take to drug backpackers at nearby Apache. Before walking off, he spray-painted Snure's garage with gang graffiti.

A common complaint here is that Border Patrol should be on the border, not miles back. On this day, we saw lots of agents, possibly evidence that Border Patrol is changing tactics. But that might be optimistic.

On May 6, during a conference call with Cochise County ranchers arranged by Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, residents asked T.J. Bonner, head of the National Border Patrol Council, about putting agents right on the border.

His reply? It's too dangerous. The border is a combat zone.

When the Weekly called for clarification, Bonner said: "It's not safe to put people in static positions without armored vehicles to protect them. If you're yards from the border in a sedan or 4x4, you're a target for rock assaults, Molotov cocktails or gunfire."

A passing Cochise County sheriff's deputy—several of whom were on the border road guarding construction equipment—gave us an idea of what Bonner meant. Exactly a week before, the deputy said, three men—one carrying a rifle and wearing a sniper's camouflage outfit called a ghillie suit—took belly-down positions on a rise right across the line. They stared over at the deputies in intimidating fashion for two hours before leaving.

Both Escalante of Border Patrol, and Carol Capas of the Cochise County Sheriff's Office, told the Weekly they hadn't heard about the encounter.

We departed Geronimo Trail at the 20-mile mark, driving southeast and dropping down into Guadalupe Canyon, where we hiked a short distance under towering rock cliffs. Coming out, we could see the breadth of this country again, its sheer size, the terrain hostile enough to frighten a wolf.

Yet the people and drugs still come.

Read all the books you want about the border. Watch TV specials. Talk to smart professors who'll be happy to explain the whole thing from their air-conditioned offices. But you can't really understand this relentless invasion, or fathom the lives of the folks fighting to keep their property, families and way of life intact, until you see this wild and wonderful place.

It's the capital of what our government thinks is a third country.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 8:24pm

seems people we let out of jail and deport.... commit violent crimes...

back in 2009... Congress wasn't able to agree on National Guard troops .

09/03/09: CNN reports that The deportations of thousands of Mexicans who have served time in U.S. jails into Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, are adding a deadly ingredient to an already volatile state of security, Juarez Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz said. Adding deportees from the United States, some with criminal records, worsens the situation. In the past 45 days, 10 percent of those killed in Juarez had been deported from the United States in the past two years, Ferriz said.

08/13/09: The Washington Times reports that a government plan to use National Guard troops to help stem Mexican drug violence along the southern US border is stymied by disagreements over who will pay for the soldiers and how they would be used.

more here....

In Mexico-

Among the week's victims were 12 federal officers ambushed Monday by presumed gangsters in western Michoacán state and three others bushwhacked in northern Chihuahua state. Army troops shot it out with gunmen Tuesday in Taxco, a tourist mecca 100 miles south of Mexico City, killing 15 alleged criminals.

mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 10:40am
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 6:01pm

NPR

Violence Reaches New Peak In Mexican Drug War

Listen here-

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 6:30pm

Clown
Feds plan lawsuit against Ariz. immigration law
..............................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................

Article-/ VIDEO

Mary008

Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 9:34pm

Our government would spend its money more wisely by dropping the lawsuit against Arizona & put constantine wire all over the fence instead. 

The Arizona illegals are moving out of there, so their law had a desired effect.  I just hope the don't all move into my state.
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 4:15pm

Click to see VIDEO

I am sure no one will be surprised with this information.  So... literally the lives of US citizens can go to hell until he gets his agenda.  Anything for the Vote.

.... to hell with the security of the nation and to hell with what the economics of amnesty for the illegals will do as well. 

Remember in November !!!!!
sjf

June 20, 2010

Kyl: Obama Said He Won't Secure Border Because GOP Won't Support "Comprehensive Immigration Reform"

Arizona Republican Senator Jon Kyl told the audience at a North Tempe Tea Party town hall meeting that during a private, one-on-one meeting with President Obama in the Oval Office, the President told him, regarding securing the southern border with Mexico, "The problem is, . . . if we secure the border, then you all won't have any reason to support 'comprehensive immigration reform.'" [Audible gasps were heard throughout the audience.] Sen. Kyl continued, "In other words, they're holding it hostage. They don't want to secure the border unless and until it is combined with 'comprehensive immigration reform.'"

Sen. Kyl also said he reminded President Obama that the President and the Congress has an obligation, a duty, to secure the border.

(This part of Sen. Kyl's remarks begins at the 3:17 mark of the video below.)

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 8:18am

Just Words??

Remember:  Watch what they do...Not what they say.
sjf

June 21, 2010 |

Where are the promised border troops?

by By E. J. Montini, Columnist - Jun. 20, 2010 08:25 PM
The Arizona Republic

So where are the troops?

Last month, President Barack Obama promised to deploy 1,200 National Guard troops to the Southwest border.

Sen. John McCain said that 1,200 was "not good enough" and got the Senate Armed Services Committee to approve 6,000 troops. At least that is what we are being told, again and again, in a McCain campaign commercial.

So when do the soldiers get here?

Back when the president made his announcement, Gov. Jan Brewer said, "My signing of Senate Bill 1070 has clearly ignited the talk of action in Washington for the people of Arizona and other border states. I am pleased that President Obama has now, apparently, agreed that our nation must secure the border to address rampant border violence and illegal immigration."

That is all well and good but . . . the troops?

On Friday, Brewer's office announced that "representatives" from the White House would be coming to Arizona on June 28.

Representatives are not troops.

So I contacted the White House, which sent me to the Department of Homeland Security, where a spokesman in Secretary Janet Napolitano's office told me that President Obama had promised Gov. Brewer "that there were White House people who would be coming to Arizona to brief her by the end of the month and that timetable is forthcoming."

Among the things that are not forthcoming, apparently, are troops. At least the 1,200 promised by the president.

So I contacted Sen. McCain's campaign people to ask about his tough-talking commercial touting the 6,000 troops.

I wondered if those National Guard members would be arriving soon in Arizona.

The McCain campaign folks said they couldn't answer that question (in spite of the TV ad) and referred me to a spokeswoman in McCain's Washington, D.C., Senate office.

It turns out that the approval for 6,000 troops that McCain got through the Senate Armed Services Committee is attached to a larger Senate bill.  (Maybe the Amnesty - Comprehensive Reform?)

According to news reports, McCain's proposal might be challenged by the administration as an infringement on the authority of the commander in chief.

As for the troops, a McCain spokeswoman told me that the senator has no control over when bills actually come up for a vote.

Which means that no timetable for deployment could be provided.

And that no one knows for sure if the McCain amendment calling for the 6,000 troops will get through Congress without changes. Or if those changes would alter the number of troops. Or when any of this would occur.

The spokeswoman for the senator added, however, "Senator McCain is confident we will succeed in securing the border."

That's good to know.

Although I'm uncertain how that is going to happen without troops.

Gov. Brewer has been urged by some in Arizona to dispatch a large contingent of Guard members on her own but said that the state doesn't have the money to fund the type of major deployment that is necessary.

Expressing her anger in the weeks before signing SB 1070, Brewer said, "Arizona is frustrated, and we're going to push back."

And maybe we have. But pushing back hasn't led to a major military deployment either.

So I'm left wondering - or maybe not - if all this tough talk about troops has less to do with securing the border than it does with securing elections.

Reach Montini at 602-444-8978 or ed.montini@arizonarepublic.com.

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 9:33am

Feds Give Arizona $1.25 Million to Build… Squirrel Bridges

By Doug Powers  •  June 17, 2010 03:54 PM

$l.25 Million to build  bridges so the squirrels do not get run over by passing cars on a rural road.  Who ? and How Much ? will it then take to teach the squirrels how to use these bridges?
 sjf

"At least when drug cartels take over the entire state, the squirrels will have an escape route."

"Priorities."  But no National Guard Troops yet to protect the citizens of AZ

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 8:39pm
I hope all of you that voted for the current piece of trash infesting the White House are happy. He talking about how if he can't get the 60 votes in the Senate to get Amnesty, he'll push it through as an Executive Order.

Wanna know what's going to happen when the Main Stream Media picks up this story? The Southern border states are going to be up to their eyeballs in illegals hoping to stay here just long enough for Amnesty to include them.

November can't come fast enough...
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 6:36am
sjf

There is a big differenece between reality and political reality

The immigration issue is not just about throwing illegals out of the Country. The President and the Dems were willing to change the legislative schedule but not without 60 votes (Thats Political Reality). The President even made a good faith effort to bring the right to the table by sending 4 times the troops to the border than Bush did. All he is asking is that the other side come to the table with more than (My Way Or The Highway) and he would change the schedule and work on a resolution. And after taking the initiative with troops to hopefully begin the debate all the right could muster up was more political BS. Funny thing about it it is this, the right did nothing when they controlled all three portions of government and now that they are in the minority and are not in control of the schedule, they just want to wine like a 2 year old who just had their toy taken away. As usual the right is screaming ab out things they are not willing to fix (Same old Right Wing Hipocracy).
I am sure when they are voted back in to power that they will just do what ever the left want just because they are screaming about it right.

Atleast the President understands Securing the border is important (Sending Troops) and the door was open for the right to come to the table, but instead they just dropped the ball (Again).
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:02am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RWtW0AjO7M

IT HAS BEGUN. On the same day 15 Federales were gunned down in Mexico by drug cartel gunman, the cartel has threatened American police in Nogales, AZ with gunman and sniper attack if they again interfered in drug smuggling activity while off duty. This follows an incident in early June when off-duty Nogales officers conducted a drug bust while off duty. Nogales police said they would not turn a blind eye to illegal activity when not on duty, but the threats are a new and menacing signal that Mexican-style murder and reprisals against law enforcement may be coming to America sooner than though. SECURE THE DAMN BORDER NOW. FUND THE FENCE!

Mahshadin, Obama's idea of allowing the Right to come to the table is to let them sit there and be told what he's going to do. If it's anything like what he told John Kyl, he's specifically not going to secure the border because if he did, he wouldn't be able to try to push through amnesty. They came to the table but Obama has no intentions of securing the border. If he did, it would have been secured. George W was no better.

Now things are heating up down there. Let some American Law Enforcement officers start getting sniped by Cartel goons and Obama's going to have another major problem on his hands when Americans start clamoring for a real border security solution which isn't amnesty. It's active duty U.S. Military assets with real guns, and real bullets. Nothing less is a solution.
ETA: The deal where Obama told John Kyl that he was holding security of the border hostage is going to come out, and not in Obama's favor. Everything in the Oval Office is recorded in both video and impeccable audio. If Obama didn't say that, and John Kyl is lying, release the tapes to the public. It's really as simple as that. Let's all find out who's lying.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Mahshadin, Obama's idea of allowing the Right to come to the table is to let them sit there and be told what he's going to do. If it's anything like what he told John Kyl, he's specifically not going to secure the border because if he did, he wouldn't be able to try to push through amnesty. They came to the table but Obama has no intentions of securing the border. If he did, it would have been secured. George W was no better.

TG
That just is not the case my man, and Kyle is just another example of the right squaking one thing out of one side of their mouth while doing another. Like I said there is more to the Immigration issue than just trying to police the border, for one (The Employers Corps) and the right is still playing the do nothing card or else, which is basically you do it our way or its the highway (Just Absurd). The gesture was made to take it back up, more troops were assigned to the border, basically saying the ball is in your court (What do you want to do?)

It is pretty clear especially over the last year and a half that the right is not interested in any negotiations of any type on any subject, I am not sure how much more clear this has to become before everyone gets it.

Instead they are betting that America wont notice that they basically have become dictators and they will not negortiate anything anytime anywhere.

Not my idea of America (In any way, shape, or form)
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:35am
Oh excuse me

They managed to get somthing done they all from the head of the RNC to not elected yet republicans managed to

APOLIGIZE TO BP  (Golf Oil Disaster)

Freaking Amazing
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Mahshadin Mahshadin wrote:

TG
That just is not the case my man, and Kyle is just another example of the right squaking one thing out of one side of their mouth while doing another. Like I said there is more to the Immigration issue than just trying to police the border, for one (The Employers Corps) and the right is still playing the do nothing card or else, which is basically you do it our way or its the highway (Just Absurd). The gesture was made to take it back up, more troops were assigned to the border, basically saying the ball is in your court (What do you want to do?)

I agree with you on the Employers front. The garbage they pull is ridiculous!

That said, however, the Left is just as adept at two faced talking and especially the whole, "Do it our way, or it's the highway" gameplan. Obama's calling the Republicans to the table, then not listening to what they have to say is par for the course with this disaster of a president. The border issue is no different. The blame for what's going on with the Employers is just as much the Left's fault as it is the Right.

And 1300 troops on the border is a paltry gesture. They need to mobilize the entire AZ National Guard, augment them with Active duty forces and have THEM patrol the border! The cartels, which really are an extension of the Mexican government, have all but declared war on the United States with their threats of violence against L.E. officers. Obama's going to wait until something really bad happens and average Americans take matters into their own hands.

It is pretty clear especially over the last year and a half that the right is not interested in any negotiations of any type on any subject, I am not sure how much more clear this has to become before everyone gets it.

What negotiation needs to be made? Secure the border, PERIOD. You can't have immigration reform when the border is wide open and Obama has said that he's not going to even attempt to close the border until he gets his way, and that's Amnesty.

Instead they are betting that America wont notice that they basically have become dictators and they will not negortiate anything anytime anywhere.

Not my idea of America (In any way, shape, or form)

Now *THAT's* funny! The Right is firmly out of power! If the Left is hell bent on something and can somehow produce a good bill (Read:Impossible) there is nothing to stop them! The problem is that the Left, in a year and a half, has made mockery of everything that could have ever been construed with being an American! Had the Right been in power you'd have seen the border on television 24/7! The Nashville situation was a disaster that could nearly rival Katrina, yet did Obama even get called on his mismanagement of that one?

The John Kyl situation could be easily handled by releasing the tape. If he's lying, release the tape and end this.
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 8:40pm
If you agree whith the employer thing then you agree what the problem is. Not fixing this is a lose lose, no other way to spin it.

Blaming the other side is a political excuse to do nothing, I think its pretty clear who is the Corp Party.

Troops have a direct and measurable impact on the border as proven by the paultry 300 sent by bush. 1300 will have an impact and again it was a gesture to the other side (I stepped forward now its your turn).

TG I know you understand the senate and its rules on procedure in passing legislation. The plan being executed by the right is very clear (Stop Everything, Evertime, Everywhere) no matter what no matter what you have to say (End Justifies The Means).  This is not news although maybe to some who get there information filtered with opinion (Who Knows).

No comment on Kyle,  I live in AZ so I get the BS first hand.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 9:31pm
They're both "The Corporate Party" regardless. What's funny though is that the Republicans are for the rich, thus they're all for keeping the rich rich. The Democrats are for the poor, thus they're out to keep people poor.

I'm not blaming the other side, I'm specifically blaming Obama. 1300 troops isn't going to do anything, particularly when they are not authorized to carry weapons or enforce the border. I'm sorry, but that's not going to make an impact. We need to militarize our border and actually enforce it. This is the line on the sand, you will not cross it.

The plan currently going through the Senate is an Amnesty bill. It would grant clemency to all illegals currently in the U.S. If they actually pull it off, you're going to have a rush into the US the likes of which would make an African refugee exodus look like schoolchildren crossing the street.

You live on the front line. For your sake,  Ihope the current bill fails and Obama is forced to do something. If AZ called out the National Guard to secure the border, it'd be a great thing! hell I'd like it if Arizona declared war on Mexico.

Also did you hear that Mexico is going to file a lawsuit against Arizona to prevent that law? Since when can a country sue a U.S. State for enforcing the law?
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 11:03pm
Mahshadin.......regarding your post to me at 6:36AM
There is a big differenece between reality and political reality 
Who's reality are you talking about?  The Political reality is that the Democrats need
the votes this November and in 2012. 

The immigration issue is not just about throwing illegals out of the Country. Really? The President and the Dems were willing to change the legislative schedule but not without 60 votes (That's Political Reality). The President even made a good faith effort to bring the right to the table by sending 4 times the troops to the border than Bush did.  
The republicans suffered because Bush did not secure the border, never made sense with his war on terror, maybe it was his NWO  and The North American Union thing. 
But I seem to remember McCain and Ted Kennedy working together on Comprehensive Immigration Reform in good faith. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/mccain-says-immigration-reform-should-be-top-priority/

All he is asking is that the other side come to the table with more than (My Way Or The Highway) and he would change the schedule and work on a resolution. 
Funny Thing.....Up until Scott Brown won in MA the Democrats with the 60 vote rule had the attitude of " We Won". (or was that Obama saying "I Won")  They didn't need the Republicans and Pelosi/Reid made sure they knew it.  Now they are needed but the Amnesty or Comprehensive Immigration Reform also involves giving up too much of our economic security.  Did you forget...Obama on C-Span "We are out of Money."
HealthCare, Social Security, Medicare  The Taxpayers can't pay for it.  Unsustainable I think is
one of this administration's favorite word.

And after taking the initiative with troops to hopefully begin the debate all the right could muster up was more political BS.
 Who's initiative? And How Long did it take for the response?  Reality....Jan Brewer and Arizona pleading 5 letters asking the Federal government for help. NO Response.  Since it is the Feds job to secure the border.  It took AZ passing this law to get the 1200 troops 'promised'.  BTW ...where are the Troops?   (Troops with no guns and will not be used to stop illegals...Still Looking.)  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/25/obama-deploy-national-guard-troops-mexico-border/

Funny thing about it it is this, the right did nothing when they controlled all three portions of government and now that they are in the minority and are not in control of the schedule, they just want to wine like a 2 year old who just had their toy taken away. As usual the right is screaming ab out things they are not willing to fix (Same old Right Wing Hipocracy).
I am sure when they are voted back in to power that they will just do what ever the left want just because they are screaming about it right. 
This doesn't even deserve an answer.........talk about whining.  When the Dems can't win an argument it either goes racial or it is Bush's fault. 

Atleast the President understands Securing the border is important (Sending Troops) and the door was open for the right to come to the table, but instead they just dropped the ball (Again). 
Understands? Important? only after Arizona passed a law that mirrors the Federal Law .  All three, Eric Holder, Janet Incompetano and the President acted without even reading the Bill.  That's reality for you.  Suing AZ with not giving the Governor the respect of a personal answer
as 'promised'. Finding out on a You Tube from Ecuador.  So Classy.

So you are approving of the way the President has treated the state of Arizona?

Again.... "Where are the Border Troops Promised?"  6/21/2010 See my post on page 9.  EJ Montini, you know, you read him in the AZ Republic......He is a liberal and he is asking.

As far as Senator Kyl.  Who's BS?   I wouldn't be betting against Senator Kyl on credibility when it comes to President Obama.   I have been living in Arizona for quite a few years but I was born and raised in Chicago. 

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:10am

sjf, I'm trying to get a job with the FAA down there. I'm tired of snow and bs.

Got any room for me?
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 12:30pm
Turboguy.....

There is plenty of room for you.  Arizona would Welcome you with open arms.

If you can stand a little heat......come on down.

sjf :)
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 1:20pm

Some comments from the article:

"So now Obama is actively seeking to prevent law enforcement"

"Not only is this administration not going to enforce existing laws but they are going to make sure nobody enforces ANY immigration laws. "

"Duh! Who in their right mind would argue against prosecuting those enablers who would hire illegals in the first place?"
-----------------------------------------

The Democrats definitely need the votes (aka Amnesty).... but we don't need comprehensive legislation to secure our borders.  We could close our borders in a heartbeat.........Why aren't they??
sjf

Obama Asks Supreme Court to Overturn Napolitano-Endorsed Immigration Law
By La Shawn Barber  •  June 7, 2010 09:16 AM

I’m convinced the federal government has no intention of enforcing immigration laws against illegal aliens from Mexico.

But that isn’t the worst. The government wants to give illegal aliens from Mexico amnesty and a “path” to citizenship. Republican George Bush tried to push through an amnesty bill, and failed, and Democrat Barack Obama eventually will try to push through an amnesty bill.

The Department of Justice, squarely on the side of non-citizens on this issue, has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision that upheld a 2007 Arizona employer immigration law signed by the Department of Homeland Security’s Janet Napolitano when she was the Democratic governor of Arizona. (Source) The same year, Oklahoma’s Democratic governor Brad Henry reluctantly signed into law a similar bill.

Called the toughest sanction against employers who hire illegal aliens, the law requires Arizona employers to verify the status of employees through the Basic Pilot Program. First offenders who “knowingly” hire illegal aliens will lose their license for up to 10 days. Second offenders (on probation) face permanent license revocation.

As FOX News points out, our own Congress allows an exception to federal immigration law enforcement (emphasis added):

“The provisions of this section preempt any state or local law imposing civil or criminal sanctions (other than through licensing and similar laws) upon those who employ unauthorized aliens.”

Is Obama’s DOJ ignorant of this exception? That Arizona’s employer law was endorsed by his current homeland security chief and upheld by the left-leaning 9th Circuit apparently has no influence in Obama’s DOJ.

Follow me on Twitter @La Shawn.

"Every law that AZ has passed by the voters against illegal aliens in our state has been taken to the 9th Circus and has been upheld. If they can get past the 9th then SCOTUS should be a slam-dunk….unless Kagan gets in–she’s so liberal she makes Sotomayor look like a moderate!"

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 1:30pm

Long but worth the read.

This is a Backgrounder On Homeland Security and Immigration

Time to Stop the Rush for "Amnesty" Immigration Reform

Published on March 18, 2010 by Matt Mayer and Jena Baker McNeill

Abstract: The Obama Administration is pushing amnesty for illegal immigrants. The Administration has also reversed a number of policies that had improved enforcement. These changes have included ending work­place raids and a shift toward "catch and release" of illegal immigrants, instead of detaining them and deporting them. Rather than pursue comprehensive immigration reform, the Administration and Congress should ensure that the existing policies on border security, interior enforcement, and non-immigrant visas are working.

The Obama Administration has put comprehen­sive immigration reform, including some form of amnesty for the 10.8 million illegal immigrants in America, on the fast track for legislative action. This move comes at a time when the effectiveness of Amer­ica’s current border security, interior enforcement, and visa policies remains uncertain at best.

Given these uncertainties, the Obama Adminis­tration should not push amnesty, but instead focus on fixing the problems along the border, in the cit­ies, and in the U.S. visa system. An incremental approach should be used to solve these problems, focusing first on securing the border and enforcing immigration laws within the United States, while making visa services more effective and bringing them in line with the real-time demands of the U.S. economy.

The Three-Legged Stool of Immigration Policy

In a speech at the Center for American Progress in November 2009, U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano referred to the "three-legged stool" of immigration reform, describing the legs as "seri­ous and effective enforcement, improved legal flows for families and workers, and a firm but fair way to deal with those who are already here."[1] However, the stool as Secretary Napolitano describes it is inher­ently unstable. It combines the border security and interior enforcement into one leg and includes a consequence of ineffective immigration policy—a large population of illegal immigrants— as another leg.

The three-legged stool of immigration policy would be more stable if it used the following three legs:

• Border security,
  • Effective interior enforcement, and
  • An efficient and dynamic visa and naturalization system.[2]

The State of the Three-Legged Stool

The three-legged stool analogy is a useful tool for analyzing current immigration and border security policy and for learning from past mistakes.

Leg #1: Border Security. The U.S. has made progress on border security, but much work remains to be done. Secretary Napolitano’s three-legged stool assumes that this piece has already been accomplished. Furthermore, the U.S. cannot be certain how much of this progress is the result of improved U.S. border security and how much is the result of the recession, which has reduced economic incentives to enter the U.S. illegally.

Moreover, no one really knows how many illegal border crossings occur each year. Officials use bor­der apprehensions to determine whether the num­ber of crossings is increasing or decreasing. The number of apprehensions has dropped significantly over the past two years from 1,206,457 in 2006 to 791,568 in 2008.[3] Presumably, the number of bor­der crossings has also dropped. The challenge is identifying the right cause or causes of this signifi­cant decline.

During 2005–2008, the Bush Administration and Congress ramped up efforts to secure the border. The Custom and Border Protection (CBP) agency completed "more than 700 miles of physical fence" and "doubl[ed] the number of border patrol agents to roughly 18,000."[4] The Bush Administra­tion also started the SBInet program to integrate manpower and technology along the border.

The Obama Administration’s challenge is that the drug cartels, smugglers, and "coyotes" are constantly adapting their border-crossing tactics to operational needs and impediments. Thus, to truly control the border, the CBP must be similarly able to adapt its approach to keep up with or stay ahead of the bad actors. This flexibility at the border needs to become the focus of the Obama Administration.

For example, between May 1990 and April 2009, authorities detected 104 tunnels used to smuggle contraband items and people from Mexico to the United States. Of these 104 tunnels, roughly 92 were detected after the terrorist attack on Sep­tember 11, 2001. As the CBP has secured more and more of the border, smugglers have moved to water routes or tunnels dug under the border. Of the 92 tunnels detected after 9/11, 69 (66 percent) were detected in the past four years.[5] Hence, the CBP needs to exercise operational flexibility to enhance tunnel detection capabilities as more of the illegal activities literally go underground.

With construction payrolls declining by more than 20 percent since the beginning of the recession and similar declines in other trades heavily popu­lated by illegal immigrant workers, the slowing flow of illegal immigrants into the United States should come as no surprise. However, the Obama Admin­istration’s declaration by omission that the border is secure is a bit premature.[6]

One of the worst moves the U.S. could make would be to grant amnesty to the 10.8 million illegal immigrants already in the U.S. illegally because this would spur further illegal immigration just like the 1986 amnesty helped to triple the number of illegal immigrants from 1986 to 2006. Once the U.S. economy improves, the U.S. will have a more accu­rate picture of whether the border is actually secure.

Leg #2: Interior Enforcement. Instead of building on past progress, over the past year the Obama Administration has reversed a number of effective interior enforcement efforts begun under the Bush Administration. Secretary Napolitano has argued, "We have replaced old policies that merely looked tough with policies that are designed to actually be effective."[7] However, the numbers sug­gest otherwise. The number of worksite arrests is down "by more than 50 percent from fiscal year 2008 to fiscal 2009." Specifically, "administrative arrests of violators of immigration laws fell 68 per­cent from 2008 to 2009, criminal arrests fell 60 percent, criminal indictments fell 58 percent and convictions fell 63 percent."[8] Secretary Napolitano has pointed to increased efforts to target criminal illegal aliens as proof of her tougher policies, but in 2009, the number of criminal arrests of foreign nationals is up only slightly from the numbers of arrests in 2008 and 2007.[9]

In contrast, when the Bush Administration began enforcing immigration laws, the number of worksite arrests jumped from 845 in fiscal year (FY) 2004 to 6,287 in FY 2008,[10] and 1,210,772 illegal immigrants were deported in FY 2007.[11] Pro–illegal immigration groups did not like those actions, but these figures are not "merely looking tough."

De facto Catch and Release. Until the second term of the Bush Administration, illegal immigrants caught inside the United States were given an order to appear in court and then released back into soci­ety until their court dates. Predictably, most never appeared in court. The Bush Administration replaced this failed "catch and release" policy with a "detention and removal" construct that focused on detaining apprehended illegal immigrants until they were processed for removal.

In effect, the Obama Administration has re­sumed the catch and release policy by deciding to provide work permits to illegal immigrants appre­hended during worksite enforcement raids for the duration of the case against their employers.[12]

This policy reversal will likely have two conse­quences. First, as the legal case against the employer winds its way through the courts, the illegal immi­grants with temporary work permits will likely dis­appear and move to another part of the country to avoid deportation.

Second, the policy change will likely increase the number of border crossings, although this effect will be difficult to discern. Illegal immigration tends to follow a supply and demand curve. Any action that reduces transaction costs (e.g., the risk of being caught and deported) will increase the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally. In this case, as the new policy of providing temporary work per­mits to illegal immigrants apprehended during worksite raids reduces the risk of being deported, those weighing the costs and benefits of illegally crossing the border will be more likely to attempt to cross the border illegally.

In Bellingham, Washington, where this policy was first implemented, the unemployment rate was 8.1 percent, and more than 150 U.S. citizens had applied for the 28 positions filled by the illegal immigrants that were arrested, refuting the specious arguments that Americans will not do the work.[13]

The Obama Administration should reconsider this shortsighted policy change and reinstate the policy of detaining and removing illegal immigrants who are apprehended during worksite raids. If the Administration fails to reverse itself, Congress should prohibit the distribution of work permits to illegal immigrants arrested during worksite raids.

Payroll Audits Instead of Worksite Raids. In addition, the Administration has also apparently discontinued worksite raids and replaced them with soft payroll audits. The payroll audits have resulted in employer fines, which are good as far as they go, but the illegal immigrants identified during these audits have merely been fired from their jobs, not deported. As a result, they remain in the U.S. and merely find new jobs in the same city or another city, which continues to undermine the job market for U.S. citizens during one of America’s worst recessions.

The case of American Apparel, a clothing com­pany in Los Angeles, illustrates this problem. Upon receiving word of a payroll audit by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), American Apparel laid off roughly 1,800 illegal immigrants—almost one-third of its workforce.[14] American Apparel had paid them $10 to $12 per hour—"well above the minimum wage and industry standards, plus health benefits."[15] In August 2009, the unemploy­ment rate in Los Angeles County was 12.4 percent. American Apparel would need to fill those 1,800 jobs that had been held by illegal immigrants. At a time of such high unemployment, many citizens would be eager to get a job that pays so well and comes with health benefits.

Although the investigation was begun under the Bush Administration, the Obama Administration pointed out that it had "not followed the Bush pat­tern of concluding such investigations with a mass roundup of workers."[16]

Weakening the Section 287(g) Program. Under Section 287(g) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, law enforcement enti­ties can enter into agreements with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to "act in the stead of ICE agents by processing illegal aliens for removal."[17] Before the officers of a state or local law enforcement agency can participate, the agency must sign a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with ICE, and the officers must undergo a five-week training course, a background check, and manda­tory certifications.

Section 287(g) was a solid improvement in immigration law enforcement. Before Section 287(g) was created, if state and local law enforcement offic­ers apprehended an individual who could not dem­onstrate legal presence in the U.S., they would simply notify ICE and wait for ICE to take custody of the individual. In practice, this meant that most illegal immigrants went free and immigration laws were not enforced.

In the seven years since ICE started using Section 287(g), roughly 66 state and local agencies have entered into MOAs and roughly 1,000 law enforce­ment officers have been "deputized" to enforce fed­eral immigration law. Even more importantly, more than 120,000 individuals have been identified as illegal immigrants under the program.

Section 287(g) has been a great success. This program and other ICE ACCESS programs help to fight crime by removing gang leaders and other seri­ous criminals from the streets and deporting any who are illegally in the United States.

Yet in the past year, the ACLU, other pro–illegal immigration groups, and a U.S. Government Accountability Office report have claimed that Sec­tion 287(g) programs encourage racial profiling and have other undesirable consequences.[18] For instance, the report cited "29 state and local law enforcement agencies" that have received "con­cerns [from] members of their communities…about the 287(g) program, including concerns that law enforcement officers in the 287(g) program would be deporting removable aliens pursuant to minor traffic violations (e.g. speeding) and concerns about racial profiling." However, the report cited no data indicating that this profiling was actually occurring. Using minor traffic violations to identify illegal immigrants was completely within the scope of the program at the time and should be part of the pro­gram today if a jurisdiction wishes to do so.

On July 9, 2009, the Obama Administration caved in to these demands and announced plans to make the MOAs "more uniform." However, the announced changes go to the heart of the program and will disrupt any real attempt to enforce the law. The changes include:

Forcing local law enforcement agencies to pursue all criminal charges. The new MOAs would require law enforcement to prosecute illegal immigrants taken into custody for all initial offenses. In practice, if law enforcement discovers that a person in custody is illegally in the U.S., the agency will often start removal proceedings instead of going through a costly and lengthy criminal process that would produce the same result. Requiring criminal prosecution would deplete the resources of local jurisdictions for no legitimate reason. In accordance with America’s long-standing commitment to federalism, the Obama Administration should respect the deci­sions and discretion of state and local govern­ments and stop trying to micromanage them.

Limiting the use of immigration checks to those arrested for major offenses. The new MOAs attempt to limit the use of immigration checks to those arrested for major offenses. However, most illegal immigrants who have been identified under the program commit misdemeanors, not felonies. Mohammad Atta, one of the 9/11 hijackers, was pulled over in a traffic stop two days before the 9/11 attacks. If the officer had inquired about Atta, he might have discovered that Atta was in the country illegally and might have prevented his participation in the attacks.

Questioning the credibility and professionalism of state and local law enforcement. The announced changes insinuate that ICE should do more to prescribe how Section 287(g) participants use their authority. However, Americans have tradi­tionally trusted law enforcement officers to enforce U.S. criminal laws. In contrast, the Obama Administration’s changes would question the decisions of law enforcement to a degree that would dissuade them from participating in the program. The pattern emerging from the new MOAs suggests the Obama Administration does not trust the professionalism and legitimacy of state and local law enforcement agencies.[19]

America simply cannot afford to lose Section 287(g). Although not a panacea to America’s illegal immigration problem, it is one of the most useful and efficient tools in curtailing illegal immigration. Any workable Section 287(g) program must be flex­ible and implemented in a way that respects the Constitution and existing laws; recognizes the pro­fessionalism, experience, and know-how of state and local law enforcement; and preserves this highly valuable program.

The Obama Administration should rethink its decision to revise the MOAs and ensure that state and local law enforcement retain the flexibility to make decisions without federal mandates and sec­ond-guessing. If the Obama Administration is per­mitted to keep the changes that it has made to the program, it will require a couple of years to evaluate the effectiveness of the newly formed program.

The Expansion of the E-Verify Program. The Obama Administration deserves credit for moving forward with E-Verify. The E-Verify system enables employers to verify through a Web-based portal that their newly hired employees are eligible to work in the United States. E-Verify is a tremendous success. More than 134,000 employers voluntarily use the program.

Recognizing this success and the need for work­place enforcement throughout the federal govern­ment, the Bush Administration proposed a rule that would require federal contractors and subcontrac­tors to use E-Verify. The rule was amended in November 2008 to require verification of both new hires and current employees working on federal con­tracts and went into effect on September 8, 2009.

Contraction of the "No Match" Rule. Regrettably, on November 6, 2009, the Obama Administration rescinded a proposed regulation that would have allowed DHS to use the Social Security Administra­tion’s "no match" data to enforce immigration laws. The Bush Administration had begun to issue no match letters, which informed employers that a cer­tain percentage of their workers were working under false Social Security numbers. Upon notifica­tion, the employer would have been required by law to take certain corrective actions to be protected from prosecution.

Rescinding this rule was a mistake. Despite early legal challenges, the revised rule would have made significant inroads in stopping off-the-books employment.

Increased State and Local Enforcement. Starting in 2004, state legislatures began to assert themselves in immigration enforcement as large numbers of illegal immigrants contributed to busted budgets and increased societal burdens. By 2008, at least 1,305 bills had been introduced in state legislatures, and 209 were passed. The primary areas of action were:

• Driver’s licenses and identification,
  • Public benefits,
  • Higher-education benefits,
  • Voting security,
  • Criminal sanctions, and
  • Employment.

Constitutionally, other than in the areas of border security and visa policy, the Tenth Amendment ensures that states retain their traditional police powers to control their jurisdictions. Recent court decisions have affirmed that state and local govern­ments have wide latitude to enact laws on traditional issues within their jurisdictions.

Yet as states began to reclaim their historical roles and authorities under the Constitution, interest groups supportive of illegal immigration began their assaults in the courtrooms.

In February 2007, the City of Valley Park, Mis­souri, enacted an ordinance that prohibited the employment of illegal immigrants.[20] Any business found violating the ordinance would have its license suspended.[21] In January 2008, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri (Eastern Division) found that "the Ordinance is a regulation on business licenses, an area historically occupied by the states."[22]

In May, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit issued a decision upholding the district court’s decision, noting that just because "Appel­lants do not have a business license does not exempt them from this ordinance. Appellants fall within the ordinance provisions and must, as law-abiding citi­zens, comply and conform their conduct according to its directive."[23] The Eighth Circuit further con­cluded: "[A]s a business entity covered by the ordi­nance, Appellants may not knowingly recruit, hire for employment, or continue to employ, an unlaw­ful worker to perform work within the City."[24]

In 2007, the Arizona State Legislature passed a law aimed at employers who hire illegal aliens. The Legal Arizona Workers Act (LAWA) gave "the Supe­rior Court of Arizona…the power to suspend or revoke the business licenses of employers who intentionally or knowingly employ unauthorized aliens."[25] In February 2008, the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona concluded that the initia­tive and the requirement to use the online E-Verify system were constitutional.[26]

On September 17, 2008, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit—America’s most lib­eral appellate court—affirmed the district court’s decision that LAWA is constitutional. The Ninth Circuit also concluded that Arizona could require businesses to use the E-Verify system and that the Supreme Court’s holdings in De Canas v. Bica were not superseded by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.[27]

Finally, on April 3, 2009, a Rhode Island Superior Court judge upheld Governor Donald Carcieri’s executive order requiring the state government to use the E-Verify system, concluding that "[t]he exec­utive order and the final regulation are a proper exer­cise of executive authority and do not violate any constitutional authority of the General Assembly."[28]

In April 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that an Indiana law requiring voters to present a govern­ment photo identification card before voting passed constitutional muster because the "state interest identified as justifications for [the law] are both neutral and sufficiently strong to require us to reject" the legal challenge.[29] The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit made a similar finding in upholding Georgia’s voter law.[30]

With this 5–0 record in federal appellate courts, states and localities should quickly enact laws to control illegal immigration, and Congress and the Obama Administration should give them the space to be the "laboratories of democracy" envisioned by the Founding Fathers.

Leg #3: The Naturalization System. U.S. visa and naturalization programs remain inefficient and the country still lacks a vibrant temporary worker program that legal immigrants can use to come to work in the United States.

In her speech, Secretary Napolitano explicitly admitted that the current visa and naturalization programs were not working. The system’s failure to stop Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the Christmas Day airplane terrorist, confirms her statement. Spe­cifically, she noted:

Today, we have a system where America edu­cates many of the brightest individuals from around the world, and then tells them to leave the country when many of them would rather start their own ventures or strengthen businesses right here in America. This hurts the economy for all of us, and it has to change.

…To address this economic need, we need carefully crafted programs that allow Ameri­can businesses to hire needed foreign work­ers while protecting the labor and health-and-safety rights of all workers. We need to revise our current provisions for legal migration to help assure a legal workforce in cases where businesses can’t find Americans to fill their jobs.[31]

Napolitano is correct that the U.S. needs visa programs that work for the economy. Yet the current immigration system is incapable of handling the workload because of its faulty budget model. Its fee-for-service system rendered the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) incapa­ble of making the technology and infrastructure enhancements needed to process visas efficiently. USCIS needs a revenue structure that is more responsive to immigration demands. For example, creation of a national trust fund would enable USCIS to pay for programs for which it cannot charge a fee.

Furthermore, several visa categories—including H-1Bs, H-2As, and H-2Bs—are run in ways that do not adequately serve the needs of business. Work visas are often underused because of cumbersome bureaucratic requirements or illogical caps on the number of applicants for specific types of visas. These visas need to be market-oriented and pro­cessed more efficiently so that American businesses can hire the workers they need in a timely manner.

Piloting a market-oriented temporary worker program could also help to bring these workers into the country in a way that does not perpetuate the illegal immigration problem. This system should be designed to be truly temporary, meaning that work­ers are not encouraged to set up residence, but instead encouraged to return to their home coun­tries at the end of their employment. However, robust internal enforcement and border security must be prerequisites before implementing such a temporary worker program. They would help to ensure that it will not become another avenue for illegal immigration.

Amnesty: The Faulty Leg

In her speech, Secretary Napolitano acknowl­edged that the economic "progress is fragile, and we can’t let up until all the millions who are look­ing for work today can find it."[32] Despite this, the Obama Administration apparently believes that the U.S. should add another 10.8 million legal workers to stand in unemployment lines or to compete with the millions of Americans looking for work.

Overhill Farms in Vernon, California, demon­strates why amnesty is a terrible idea.[33] In June 2009, an Internal Revenue Service audit discovered that 260 employees at Overhill Farms had provided fraudulent Social Security numbers. Yet the federal government neither detained them nor required Overhill Farms to fire them.

Against the demands of the union representing the illegal aliens, Overhill Farms "gave the workers 30 days to correct the problem with the IRS and provide the company with verification, but none did so."[34] Not one of the 260 employees came for­ward with any proof of legal residence in the United States. Overhill Farms filled all of the positions, which pay $10 per hour, with American citizens, disproving the fallacy that "Americans won’t do that kind of work" at a time when California’s unem­ployment rate was nearly 11 percent.

In one of the oddest and most revealing state­ments in her speech, Secretary Napolitano ex­plained that the Obama Administration wants to give amnesty to the 11.9 million illegal immigrants in the United States to bolster unions when she stated: "Think about it: unions will never achieve the best terms for workers when a large part of the workforce is illegal and operates in a shadow economy."[35]

A Better Approach

Secretary Napolitano’s three-legged stool approach to immigration is wobbly at best. Instead, Congress should take a phased approach to immigration reform, instead of writing another comprehensive bill that is destined to fail and push current immi­gration woes onto another generation. Specifically, the Administration and Congress should:

Enforce immigration and workplace laws to reduce the economic incentives for illegal immigration. Effective immigration reform must begin with internal enforcement and enforcement at the U.S. border. The executive branch is responsible for implementing laws passed by Congress, but immigration reform is only possible if the government enforces existing immigration law.

Safeguard the southern border to make illegal entry into the United States less attractive than legal avenues. The porous southern border makes illegal entry into the United States easier and more attractive than the legal avenues. The U.S. government needs greater awareness along the border. The physical and technological fence is only part of the solution. More border agents are needed, more technology needs to be deployed, and federal authorities need to coop­erate and collaborate more with state and local law enforcement.

Promote economic development and good governance in Latin America to provide potential illegal immigrants with economic opportunities at home. The lack of job oppor­tunities in Latin America drives many desperate for work to enter the U.S. illegally. Meanwhile, employers readily offer work to those who are in the U.S. illegally. This push-pull effect can best be addressed by engaging both sides. Assisting and encouraging Latin American countries in implementing free-market economic reforms[36] will greatly reduce the incentives for their citi­zens to enter the United States illegally. In Mex­ico, it is vital that the U.S. help the Mexican government to combat the drug cartels that are trying to destabilize it.

Reform the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to handle legal immigration more effectively and efficiently. USCIS needs to improve in providing the immi­gration services and enforcement that the nation needs. These reforms should include an entirely new funding model, a comprehensive overhaul of the agency’s service support enterprise, and better integration of USCIS programs with immi­gration enforcement and border control efforts. USCIS also needs to streamline the existing visa programs, such as those for temporary or seasonal agricultural workers.

Strengthen citizenship. Each nation has the responsibility and obligation to set its legal requirements for immigration, naturalization, and citizenship. In the United States, the Consti­tution and laws passed by Congress have already established these requirements. To help immi­grants integrate politically and to strengthen their commitment to common American princi­ples, the U.S. government should support programs that promote civics and history education among immigrants and encourage English-lan­gauge proficiency.

Enhance the legal worker programs to pro­vide legal avenues of immigration that meet the needs of employers and immigrants. For instance, America needs to pilot a market-based temporary worker program that gives U.S. busi­nesses access to a reliable, dynamic, and rotating temporary workforce. Such a program would reduce the demand for illegal immigrants by allowing those who want to work to enter the country legally, earn money, and then return home. It would also serve the needs of the Amer­ican economy.

Conclusion

America’s three-legged immigration stool is wobbly. Rather than trying to ram yet another con­troversial bill through Congress, the Obama Admin­istration and Congress should ensure that the existing policies on border security, interior enforce­ment, and immigrant visas are working. Attempting to rush another piece of legislation through Con­gress without truly understanding the strengths and weaknesses of existing policies and programs will likely have unforeseen and unfavorable effects on the U.S. immigration system.

Matt A. Mayer is a Visiting Fellow at The Heritage Foundation and President of the Buckeye Institute for Public Policy Solutions in Columbus, Ohio. He has served as Counselor to the Deputy Secretary and Acting Executive Director for the Office of Grants and Train­ing in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and is author of Homeland Security and Federalism: Protecting America from Outside the Beltway. Jena Baker McNeill is Policy Analyst for Homeland Security in the Douglas and Sarah Allison Center for Foreign Policy Studies, a division of the Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Institute for International Studies, at The Heritage Foundation.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 6:30pm
I went to Yuma, and the Yuma Proving Grounds and absolutely loved it. Loads of RV's!

I loved that place.
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 7:08pm

Without Illegal Employer Solutions there will be No Solution (Period)!!!!!

All you would end up doing is creating another huge Government Bureaucracy that we can not afford. If the Jobs continue so will illegal foreigners, its just that simple. To secure the border 24/7 from Texas to California would take 10s of thousands of Armed Border Forces and without dealing with the cause it will go on for decades. You ready to pay more taxes to support Illegal Employer (Cheap Labor). Or should we just arm all of the borders and all of the coastline thus creating a Military Police State.

Doing one without the other is kind of like buying a car with no wheels

(Your Not Going Anywhere).

I think I have been pretty clear on how I would shut down the border in previous posts in this thread, if this is done without solutions for the causes (Huge Mistake), they will just find other ways.

Let me ask you this

Which do you think is the Larger crime?

A foreigner walking over the border for a job?

Or

Corp or Business knowingly hiring Illegal foreigners in our Country (Cheap Labor) instead of Americans?

It boils down to Accountability!! And there is plenty of blame to go around Red, Blue, Purple, Pink, or Green.

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:04pm
Mahsahdin,  please read my post @ 1:20 pm

Then tell me why Obama would have DOJ Eric Holder trying to overturn Janet Napolitano's  (former Gov of AZ - now Dir of Homeland Security) law which had tough sanctions against employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens. 
Why?? would the administration want to overturn this law?  

Called the toughest sanction against employers who hire illegal aliens, the law requires Arizona employers to verify the status of employees through the Basic Pilot Program. First offenders who “knowingly” hire illegal aliens will lose their license for up to 10 days. Second offenders (on probation) face permanent license revocation.

I agree with you.  Employers need to ahere to the rule of law.  But Border Security is needed because we have no control who is coming over the border. (illegals,  terrorists drug smugglers etc.)  I am sorry... foreigners coming over the border  come  from many different countries and are not just from Mexico.  Illegal is Illegal......we can't pick and choose which laws to follow or not.  The US can't be the policeman for the world,
the US taxpayers can't take care of the world either.

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:26pm

"I am sick of hearing about "our broken immigration system". It isn't broken. Present laws are simply not enforced and haven't been for way too long. Secure the borders."

"The United States Government will use all of its' power to fight the citizens of the United States in order to protect the aliens that have broken the law and entered the country illegally. Is there something wrong with this picture?????????????"   Ask Yourself Why???? 

Arizona Democrats urge Obama not to sue over controversial immigration law

By Sean J. Miller - 06/23/10 06:00 AM ET

Arizona Democrats facing tough reelection races are distancing themselves from the Obama administration as it prepares to file a lawsuit against the state over its controversial immigration law.

Rep. Harry Mitchell (D-Ariz.) on Monday sent a sharply worded letter to President Barack Obama urging him not to sue.

“I believe your administration’s time, efforts and resources would be much better spent securing the border and fixing our broken immigration system,” the two-term congressman wrote in the letter. “Arizonans are tired of the grandstanding, and tired of waiting for help from Washington. … [A] lawsuit won’t solve the problem. It won’t secure the border, and it won’t fix our broken immigration system.”

Republican primaries in Arizona won’t be decided until August, but the prospective challengers have been hitting Democrats for not supporting the law or not staking out a specific position.

Democrats, meanwhile, are trying to maneuver past the controversial issue by focusing on border security and calling for action on immigration reform at the federal level. But if the Obama administration goes ahead with the suit, it will put the issue front and center during a campaign in which Democrats already face a tough environment.

This week Mitchell was joined by two other vulnerable Democrats in expressing public opposition to the administration’s legal strategy. Reps. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and Ann Kirkpatrick (D-Ariz.) are also urging the administration to reconsider its suit.

“Congresswoman Giffords wants more federal agents on the Arizona border, not federal lawyers in court arguing with state lawyers about a law that will do nothing to increase public safety in the communities she represents,” C.J. Karamargin, a spokesman for the congresswoman, told The Hill.

Kirkpatrick likewise said the administration should focus on border security.

“I am calling on the president and the attorney general to abandon preparations for a lawsuit against Arizona, and to recommit to finding a national solution to fixing this national problem,” the freshman lawmaker said in a statement released Monday. “The administration should focus on working with Arizona to put together a long-term strategy to secure our borders and reform our immigration policy. … The time for talk is over, and the time for action is here.”

The three Democrats have also directed their energy to lifting the Arizona boycotts that various groups and local governments around the country have started.

Mitchell, Giffords and Kirkpatrick are all in the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s “Frontline” program, which is meant to help bolster vulnerable new members.

Strategists with the DCCC said it’s up to the members to decide how they’ll handle the controversial issue.

“The advice to these members is that they need to work hard to address the needs and interests of their constituents,” said Andy Stone, a DCCC spokesman.

Another way the suit could be problematic for Arizona Democrats: It could make it more complicated for them to appear with Obama at a fundraiser or campaign with him in-state.

The White House declined to comment for this story, but noted that Obama has no upcoming trips to Arizona planned at the moment.

The administration has not filed a lawsuit yet, and a spokeswoman for the Department of Justice said it “continues to review the law.” But Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton told Ecuadorian TV station NTN 24 during a June 8 interview that the administration would use the courts to nullify the law.

“President Obama has spoken out against the law because he thinks that the federal government should be determining immigration policy. And the Justice Department, under his direction, will be bringing a lawsuit against the act,” Clinton said, according to a transcript.

ABC News reported that DoJ could file a lawsuit as early as next week against the state of Arizona arguing the law is discriminatory.

The law calls for law enforcement officers, “when practical, to determine the immigration status” of a suspect. If the person is found to have violated immigration law, they’re to be transferred to the federal authorities.

Critics have said the bill promotes racial profiling, but polls have shown the law to be popular — a Rasmussen Reports survey in April found that 70 percent of likely voters in Arizona approve of the legislation, while just 23 percent oppose it.

--Shira Poliak contributed to this report.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic