Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Oil Spill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 4:12am
Hi all i have not been on for some time , has anyone heard anything about military plans , or fema plans re: evacuation or anything to do with the dispersments as it relates to "acid rain" possibilitys in the event of a hurricane ?.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 7:03am
Take this for what it's worth. I heard it the other day, and I hope to God this man is wrong. Pookey, can you validate this? The interview starts about 8 minutes into the audio clip, so just advance to that point.

l-bandwidth.pastorbutch.tv:8080/calltodecision/061410.mp3
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 8:05am
Wow very interesting interview ,"swift fox" was the name of the plan ? . my wife was talking to a fellow last night who has family in the military ( involved with fema/ military ops)he claims the people involved in planning are really scared...and there trying to figure out how to implement a mass evac (thats why i came back on to the forums from a long breather :P ).i wasn't going to add this second post till i heard the audio. im not sure how reliable he is , my wife believed him tho, and i was 50/50 till i heard the audio.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 12:42pm
If the methane levels have increased, might it be possible that H2S, Benzene, and Methylene Chloride are also being detected in the Gulf of Mexico? What a mess this has turned out to be!

Gulf oil full of methane, adding new concerns.
www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9133315
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 7:36pm
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 9:35am
Recent Pics From the Golf

l
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 1:54pm
Here's a good one for you Mahshadin...

Sharon Astyk at ScienceBlogs points the way to a seriously scary comment thread at The Oil Drum, a sounding board for, among others, many petroleum geologists and oil professionals. The comment in question is from a seemingly very knowledgable "dougr." Some of it follows verbatim below. I've highlighted the parts that frightened me the most and left me wondering: Is this why Obama's praying?

You can read the comment in its entirety here, complete with useful links, as well as all the comments (some of which dissent from dougr's claims) made in response. Sharon notes, to the inevitable question of why pass along an anonymous comment: "This one passes my smell test, which is usually pretty good - that doesn't mean I claim commenter Doug R is right - it means I think his information is interesting enough to be worth exposing to a wider audience for clarification or correction." As the Oil Drum staff explains to its own readers regarding this post: "Were the US government and BP more forthcoming with information and details, the situation would not be giving rise to so much speculation about what is actually going on in the Gulf. This should be run more like Mission Control at NASA than an exclusive country club function––it is a public matter––transparency, now!" Amen. Meanwhile, judge for yourself:

"All the actions and few tid bits of information all lead to one inescapable conclusion. The well pipes below the sea floor are broken and leaking. Now you have some real data of how BP's actions are evidence of that, as well as some murky statement from "BP officials" confirming the same.

"To those of us outside the real inside loop, yet still fairly knowledgeable, [the failure of Top Kill] was a major confirmation of what many feared. That the system below the sea floor has serious failures of varying magnitude in the complicated chain, and it is breaking down and it will continue to.

"What does this mean?

"It means they will never cap the gusher after the wellhead. They cannot...the more they try and restrict the oil gushing out the bop?...the more it will transfer to the leaks below. Just like a leaky garden hose with a nozzle on it. When you open up the nozzle?...it doesn't leak so bad, you close the nozzle?...it leaks real bad, same dynamics. It is why they sawed the riser off...or tried to anyway...but they clipped it off, to relieve pressure on the leaks "down hole". I'm sure there was a bit of panic time after they crimp/pinched off the large riser pipe and the Diamond wire saw got stuck and failed...because that crimp diverted pressure and flow to the rupture down below.

"Contrary to what most of us would think as logical to stop the oil mess, actually opening up the gushing well and making it gush more became direction BP took after confirming that there was a leak. In fact if you note their actions, that should become clear. They have shifted from stopping or restricting the gusher to opening it up and catching it. This only makes sense if they want to relieve pressure at the leak hidden down below the seabed.....and that sort of leak is one of the most dangerous and potentially damaging kind of leak there could be. It is also inaccessible which compounds our problems. There is no way to stop that leak from above, all they can do is relieve the pressure on it and the only way to do that right now is to open up the nozzle above and gush more oil into the gulf and hopefully catch it, which they have done, they just neglected to tell us why, gee thanks.

"A down hole leak is dangerous and damaging for several reasons. There will be erosion throughout the entire beat up, beat on and beat down remainder of the "system" including that inaccessible leak. The same erosion I spoke about in the first post is still present and has never stopped, cannot be stopped, is impossible to stop and will always be present in and acting on anything that is left which has crude oil "Product" rushing through it. There are abrasives still present, swirling flow will create hot spots of wear and this erosion is relentless and will always be present until eventually it wears away enough material to break it's way out. It will slowly eat the bop away especially at the now pinched off riser head and it will flow more and more. Perhaps BP can outrun or keep up with that out flow with various suckage methods for a period of time, but eventually the well will win that race, just how long that race will be?...no one really knows....However now?...there are other problems that a down hole leak will and must produce that will compound this already bad situation.

"This down hole leak will undermine the foundation of the seabed in and around the well area. It also weakens the only thing holding up the massive Blow Out Preventer's immense bulk of 450 tons. In fact?...we are beginning to the results of the well's total integrity beginning to fail due to the undermining being caused by the leaking well bore.

"The first layer of the sea floor in the gulf is mostly lose material of sand and silt. It doesn't hold up anything and isn't meant to, what holds the entire subsea system of the Bop in place is the well itself... The well's piping in comparison is actually very much smaller than the Blow Out Preventer and strong as it may be, it relies on some support from the seabed to function and not literally fall over...and it is now showing signs of doing just that....falling over...

"What is likely to happen now?

"Well...none of what is likely to happen is good, in fact...it's about as bad as it gets. I am convinced the erosion and compromising of the entire system is accelerating and attacking more key structural areas of the well, the blow out preventer and surrounding strata holding it all up and together. This is evidenced by the tilt of the blow out preventer and the erosion which has exposed the well head connection. What eventually will happen is that the blow out preventer will literally tip over if they do not run supports to it as the currents push on it. I suspect they will run those supports as cables tied to anchors very soon, if they don't, they are inviting disaster that much sooner.

"Eventually even that will be futile as the well casings cannot support the weight of the massive system above with out the cement bond to the earth and that bond is being eroded away. When enough is eroded away the casings will buckle and the BOP will collapse the well. If and when you begin to see oil and gas coming up around the well area from under the BOP? or the area around the well head connection and casing sinking more and more rapidly? ...it won't be too long after that the entire system fails. BP must be aware of this, they are mapping the sea floor sonically and that is not a mere exercise. Our Gov't must be well aware too, they just are not telling us.

"All of these things lead to only one place, a fully wide open well bore directly to the oil deposit...after that, it goes into the realm of "the worst things you can think of" The well may come completely apart as the inner liners fail. There is still a very long drill string in the well, that could literally come flying out...as I said...all the worst things you can think of are a possibility, but the very least damaging outcome as bad as it is, is that we are stuck with a wide open gusher blowing out 150,000 barrels a day of raw oil or more. There isn't any "cap dome" or any other suck fixer device on earth that exists or could be built that will stop it from gushing out and doing more and more damage to the gulf. While at the same time also doing more damage to the well, making the chance of halting it with a kill from the bottom up less and less likely to work, which as it stands now?....is the only real chance we have left to stop it all.

"It's a race now...a race to drill the relief wells and take our last chance at killing this monster before the whole weakened, wore out, blown out, leaking and failing system gives up it's last gasp in a horrific crescendo.

"We are not even 2 months into it, barely half way by even optimistic estimates. The damage done by the leaked oil now is virtually immeasurable already and it will not get better, it can only get worse. No matter how much they can collect, there will still be thousands and thousands of gallons leaking out every minute, every hour of every day. We have 2 months left before the relief wells are even near in position and set up to take a kill shot and that is being optimistic as I said.

"Over the next 2 months the mechanical situation also cannot improve, it can only get worse, getting better is an impossibility. While they may make some gains on collecting the leaked oil, the structural situation cannot heal itself. It will continue to erode and flow out more oil and eventually the inevitable collapse which cannot be stopped will happen. It is only a simple matter of who can "get there first"...us or the well."
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 7:11pm
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 6:14am
TG

That does not sound good, lets hope he is wrong about leaks below the sea floor. I have not seen anything on how we would deal with that type of situation other than trying a nuke which could make things much worse.

The stuff we do for more gas (Amazing), perhaps we should just block of the golf and turn it into a giant gas station Ouch

I did read somwhere that they are possibly only a couple of weeks away from one of the relief wells being in position, have you heard this? 

I am going to have to check out that site looks like they have some insight on whats possibly going on down there.

Suzi2 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 11:10am
This exact situation has never happened before. How many things can you say that about?
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 1:27pm
Cuba is finally going to get some free oil
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Suzi2 Suzi2 wrote:

This exact situation has never happened before. How many things can you say that about?

There could never be an exact replica but as far as blow out preventer failing in offshore drilling, yes it has happened and in the Golf od Mexico. as a matter of fact almost the exact steps were taken to cam the thing as today, and in the end it was months before a relief well solved the problem.

the big difference this was in 200 feet of water verses 1 mile deep.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 9:38pm
Mahs, it's the "Gulf of Mexico."

That oil jetting out of that pipe is at a ridiculous pressure and heat. Somewhere on the order of 17,000 pounds of pressure and 400 degrees! I hope they're able to stop it, but realistically the odds are not in BP's favor.

A Nuke would be interesting, and I'd actually fly down there to see that. (I love explosives and would love to see a real nuke go off) Only problem is that it could very well make matters way worse. Radiation won't be an issue, but if they open the entire shelf up and all that oil flows out, we're going to have a major problem larger than the one we've got!
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Mahs, it's the "Gulf of Mexico."

That oil jetting out of that pipe is at a ridiculous pressure and heat. Somewhere on the order of 17,000 pounds of pressure and 400 degrees! I hope they're able to stop it, but realistically the odds are not in BP's favor.

I saw 2 reports today suggesting surface or subsurface problems problems with the well.

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 9:54pm
older map of water sampling locations, but very useful topographical look at the area

Oil%20Slick%20in%20the%20Gulf%20of%20Mexico

mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:11pm
This event just continues to get worse by the day!

Methane in Gulf "astonishingly high": U.S. scientist.
www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65L6IA20100622

History Channel Mega Disasters - Methane Explosion
www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BE42PzZZc
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Mahshadin Mahshadin wrote:

...drilling, yes it has happened and in the Golf od Mexico...
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:26pm
TG

Perhaps I misunderstood

I was refering to an almost identical disaster in the golf some time ago
Ixtoc Disaster

Unexpected pressure, BOP Blow out prevter failed, expolsion on drill ship, sank to the bottom of the gulf Lamp of mexico, tried packing mud, tried junk shot, tried cap, and in the end nothing worked until the relief well was drilled some 9 months or so later.

File:IXTOC%20I%20oil%20well%20blowout.jpg

Sound familiar

Not much has changed (Technologically it seems, or atleast how disasters are handled.

And that was only in a 160 feet of water.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:05pm
GULF! It's spelled GULF!

ARRRGH!!! Pet peeve achieved! Big%20smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 10:12pm
Pretty much.  An as-of-yet unidentified agent is indiscriminately killing plants in the south now:

Towards the end of the video, they talk about starting to see dead birds as well.

Originally posted by mrmouse mrmouse wrote:

This event just continues to get worse by the day!

Methane in Gulf "astonishingly high": U.S. scientist.
www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65L6IA20100622

History Channel Mega Disasters - Methane Explosion
www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BE42PzZZc
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 7:47pm
Lets Go to the beach (Florida)  Fun in the sun right?
or
'
maybe not   (Amazing Citizen Video)

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 11:52am
For those that like to read everything

Official studies on Blow-Out-Preventers

Shear Ram Capabilities Study

mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:49am
BP Oil Spill: Kindra Arnesen Venice LA Needs to Evacuate.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYJDI8pK9Y&feature=player_embedded
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:32am
File:Tampa%20florida%20map.jpg

Back in 2008...

"One of the major concerns is the amount of toxic waste that oil companies
put right over the side of the rigs," she says. "Mud, cuttings, sand,
sanitary waste, excess cement. Then there's the air pollution."

Why is Florida's top tourism bureau supporting offshore drilling
................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................

Published 12/10/08

By Alex Pickett

Excerpt-

The oil-drilling summit lasted two days.

The Florida Association of Convention and Visitors Bureau (FACVB) produced a report on the pros and cons of offshore drilling. Tourism officials returned to their local bureaus.
Then, last week, even as gas prices fell, the FACVB did something else unheard of: They voted to endorse oil drilling off Florida's coast.

"This summer, we clearly saw that people were making choices not to travel based on energy prices," says Skrob in defense of the FACVB's position. "Our tourism industry is really fueled by energy, both by transportation and entertainment once they get here."

In short: What good are Florida's beaches if people can't afford to visit them?
The FACVB's decision was far from unanimous. Several coastal tourism bureaus from the Keys to Sarasota are still staunchly opposed to any offshore drilling.

"I was a little surprised," says D.T. Minnich, president of the Clearwater/St. Petersburg tourism bureau, of the FACVB's position. "There is no reason for them to push this.

"There are just way too many risks," he continues, "and you're flirting with disaster with Florida's No. 1 industry."

Minnich points to economic disasters in Louisiana and Texas after oil-drilling accidents

closed beaches. One 2007 study of Galveston, Texas, found that beach closures cost the

city $171,000 per day in lost revenue. That's not counting lost revenue to hotels or other

local businesses.

Full story here-

Are you seeing Impacted Beaches on the news? 

But not at this Health Site?  Why?

Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill - Impacted Beaches
..................................................................................

Mary008
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 2:37pm
So much for the most open and transparent administration in American history! What a crock!

First Amendment Has been Suspended
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXsmLMV1CrM&feature=player_embedded#!
momasaurus7 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momasaurus7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 11:46am
Is there anyone who lives out there or knows someone who does? Cause I'm reading some really scary stuff about what's going on out there.  I hope it's not true, cause if any of it is, then we're screwed.  Please someone post let me know if any of what's on the net is true or not.  thank you. 
We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 12:05pm
Where's the EPA? I thought Obama said he wasn't going to rest until this mess was cleaned up? Oh yeah, he's out in Nevada campaigning for that old fossil!

Oil/Water samples from Gulf...VERY TOXIC
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq65E7rmO_k&feature=player_embedded
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 4:13pm

If you want to actually see what is actually being done daily

NOAA Sampling and Testing

http://www.noaa.gov/index.html

NOAA Fishing Closure

If you have google earth you can open the kmz file with each stations location and testing results.

EPA Sampling and Testing

http://www.epa.gov/bpspill/

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 5:56pm
Deepwater Horizon Incident, Gulf of Mexico

As the nation's leading scientific resource for oil spills, NOAA has been on the scene of the BP oil spill from the start, providing coordinated scientific weather and biological response services to federal, state and local organizations. More

GeoPlatform.gov/gulfresponse [leaves OR&R site] is a new online tool that employs the Environmental Response Management Application (ERMA�) a web-based GIS platform that provides you with near-real time information about the response effort. The site offers you a "one-stop shop" for spill response information.

The site integrates the latest data the federal responders have about the oil spill�s trajectory with fishery area closures, wildlife data and place-based Gulf Coast resources � such as pinpointed locations of oiled shoreline and current positions of deployed research ships � into one customizable interactive map.

Updated daily
Situation: July 9, 2010

Protecting Wild Dolphins During the Gulf Oil Spill

NOAA has received calls from concerned citizens to help coastal populations of bottlenose dolphins. NOAA is working closely with its state and local partners to assess and respond to distressed dolphins or dolphins found in areas affected by oil from the Deepwater Horizon/BP spill event.

While this event presents an enormous challenge to many aquatic animals across the region, there are steps the public can do to help.

NOAA and its partners ask concerned citizens to follow these rules:

• Report any dead, stranded, or distressed dolphins or other marine mammals to the wildlife hotline at 866-557-1401. 
  • Do not push the animal back out to sea � this delays examination and treatment, and often results in the animal re-stranding itself in worse condition.
  • Do not approach, feed, or swim with the animal.
    Stay with the animal until rescuers arrive, but use caution. Keep a safe distance from the head and tail.
  • Minimize contact with the animal (use gloves if necessary) and avoid inhaling air the animal has breathed out.
  • Keep crowds away and noise levels down to avoid causing further stress to the animal.
  • Keep dogs and other pets away from live or dead marine mammals.
  • Do not collect any parts from dead marine mammals. This is prohibited under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Click here to read more

NOAA Response

NOAA provides coordinated scientific weather and biological response services to federal, state and local organizations.  Experts from across the agency have mobilized to help contain the spreading oil spill and protect the Gulf of Mexico�s many marine mammals, sea turtles, fish, shellfish, and other endangered marine life.  NOAA spill specialists are advising the U.S. Coast Guard on cleanup options as well as advising all affected federal, state and local partners on sensitive marine resources at risk in this area of the Gulf of Mexico. Overflights are conducted on a daily basis (weather permitting) to provide field verification of model trajectories. NOAA�s Office of Marine and Aviation Operations (OMAO) is supporting the response work in the Gulf with NOAA-owned ships and aircraft. Currently, NOAA has deployed six NOAA owned vessels in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Please see GeoPlatform.gov/gulfresponse for further information on the federal response to the Deepwater Horizon Incident.

Trajectories

Weak and variable winds forecast for Friday will likely become SW at 10 kts overnight then WSW/W at 10-13 kts over the weekend.  Remote sensing imagery and overflights indicate scattered areas of potential oil remaining in Chandeleur and Mississippi Sound in Louisiana.  Any remaining oil may impact coastlines of MS and AL west of Mobile Bay.  Models continue to indicate winds and currents are moving oil from the source region west around the Delta and then to the north, with potential new shoreline oiling in the area between SW Pass and Caillou Bay.  No oil has been observed west of Atchafalaya Bay since Monday.  Models suggest westward currents in this region will begin weakening over the next few days. However, scattered tarballs may continue to impact Texas shorelines until eastward flow resumes.

OR&R�s modeling team continues to generate daily trajectories for the nearshore surface oil. The offshore trajectory maps (previously displayed on this page, showing oil interacting with the Loop Current) have been temporarily suspended because the northern end of the Loop Current has been pinched off into a large eddy (Eddy Franklin) so there is no clear path for oil to enter the Loop Current from the source. Also, there have been no reports of recoverable oil in the Loop Current or Eddy Franklin and the oil has moved to the North and away from the Eddy Franklin. We will continue to monitor the area with overflights, vessel observations, and satellite analysis. When the threat of shoreline impacts to the Florida Keys increases, we will resume producing the offshore trajectory maps.

The Loop Current is an area of warm water that comes up from the Caribbean, flowing past the Yucatan Peninsula and into the Gulf of Mexico. It generally curves east across the Gulf and then flows south parallel to the west Florida coast. An eddy is water that rotates.

Closures

There is no change to the fisheries closure area today. The July 4 closure remains in effect. (See map.)  This federal closure does not apply to any state waters. Closing fishing in these areas is a precautionary measure to ensure that seafood from the Gulf will remain safe for consumers. The new closure measures 81,181 sq mi (210,259 sq km) and covers about 34 percent of the Gulf of Mexico exclusive economic zone.  This leaves more than 65 percent of Gulf federal waters available for fishing. Any changes to the closure are announced daily at 12 p.m. Eastern at sero.nmfs.noaa.gov and take effect at 6 p.m. Eastern the same day.

Sea Turtles and Marine Mammals (effective July 8, 2010)

Sea Turtles

A total of 619 sea turtles have been verified from April 30 to July 8 within the designated spill area from the Texas/Louisiana border to Apalachicola, Fla. Nine live, oiled sea turtles were captured in directed, on water surveys by members of the Wildlife Branch of the Unified Area Command. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, working with the Unified Area Command, held a national press event on the turtle nest relocation. In addition, seven turtles that stranded off Mississippi were released into unoiled waters off Florida. Three dead turtles stranded in Mississippi and one live turtle stranded in Florida. There are 149 live sea turtles in rehabilitation centers. These include 109 sea turtles captured as part of the on-water survey and rescue operations, and 40 turtles that stranded alive. A total of 125 stranded or captured turtles have had visible evidence of external oil since verifications began on April 30. All others have not had visible evidence of external oil.??

Of the 619 turtles verified from April 30 to July 8, a total of 448 stranded turtles were found dead, 55 stranded alive. Four of those subsequently died. Eleven live stranded turtles were released, and 40 live stranded turtles are being cared for at rehabilitation centers.  This report contains some corrected numbers from earlier reports. Turtle strandings during this time period have been much higher in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle than in previous years for this same time period. This may be due in part to increased detection and reporting, but this does not fully account for the increase.

Whales

The NOAA Ship Pisces reported a dead 25-foot sperm whale on June 15, 2010, that was located 150 miles due south of Pascagoula, Miss. and approximately 77 miles due south of the spill site last week. The whale was decomposed and heavily scavenged. Samples of skin and blubber have been taken and will be analyzed. The whale had not evidence of external oil. Sperm whales are the only endangered resident cetacean in the Upper Gulf of Mexico. There are no records of stranded whales in the Gulf of Mexico for the month of June for the period 2003-2007.

Dolphins

From April 30 to July 8, 59 stranded dolphins have been verified in the designated spill area. One dolphin stranded dead off Alabama. Of the 59 strandings, five were live strandings, three of which died shortly after stranding, one was released and one is in rehabilitation. Fifty-three dolphins were found stranded dead. Visible evidence of external oil was confirmed on five dolphins, two live and three dead stranded animals. We are unable at this time to determine whether three of the dead stranded dolphins were externally oiled before or after death. Since April 30, the stranding rate for dolphins in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle has been higher than the historic numbers for the same time period in previous years. In part, this may be due to increased detection and reporting and the lingering effects of an?earlier observed spike in strandings for the winter of 2010.

A stranding is defined as a dead or debilitated animal that washes ashore or is found in the water. NOAA and its partners are analyzing the cause of death for the dead stranded and dead captured sea turtles and the stranded marine mammals.

Assessment?

To help determine the type and amount of restoration needed to compensate the public for harm to natural resources as a result of the spill, a Natural Resource Damage Assessment (Document format: PDF, size: 90.8 K) will be conducted by NOAA and our co-trustee agencies. Although many agencies are involved in this process, NOAA is a lead federal trustee for coastal and marine natural resources, including marine and migratory fish, endangered species, marine mammals and their habitats. The focus currently is to assemble existing data on resources and their habitats and collect baseline (pre-spill impact) data. Data on oiled resources and habitats are also being collected. For additional information, see the DARRP Deepwater Horizon Web page.

Important Contacts

• For NOAA media inquiries, please contact Ben Sherman, John Ewald or Rachel Wilhelm or phone 301.713.3066.
  • To offer suggestions to clean, contain, recover or stop the flow of oil visit Deepwater Horizon Response Suggestions. This Web site also provides procedures and forms for Alternative Response Tool Evaluation System (ARTES) proposals.
  • For response-related inquiries, please phone the Joint Information Center (JIC) at 985.902.5231 or 985.902.5240.
  • To report oil on land, or for general community information, please phone 866.448.5816.
  • To report oiled or injured wildlife, please phone 866.557.1401.
  • To learn about volunteer opportunities in all areas and what training is required, please phone 866.448.5816.
  • To discuss spill related damage claims, please phone 800.440.0858.
  • BP is asking fishermen for their assistance in cleaning up the oil spill. BP is calling this the Vessel of Opportunities Program and through it, BP is looking to contract shrimp boats, oyster boats and other vessels for hire to deploy boom in the Gulf of Mexico. To learn more about the Vessel of Opportunity Program, fishermen should phone 281.366.5511.

More Information about this Incident

Current Trajectory Maps � top
24, 48 and 72 hour trajectory forecast maps and offshore trajectory forecasts are produced once daily.

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/dwh.php?entry_id=809

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 9:25pm
Here is another crazy fact about the Gulf

The way oil corps are whining you would think they havent been able to drill offshore (Another Crock).

Oil corps now have 27,000 abandoned wells in the Gulf (Potential Future Disasters), Many temporary abandonments that have gone years and tears over their intended time frames.

Drill Baby Drill

mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 12:38pm
Toxicologist now dealing with at least three autopsies in Gulf.
http://www.earthboppin.net/talkshop/disasters/messages/4106.html
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 3:41pm
Well this does not surpise me in the least. You can't have all that oil in the gulf and not have lots of it on the bottom giving off toxic chemicals or oil still in the water.

My advice is don't go in the water and Obama needs to let us drill on land. We have oil and gas in the Eagle Ford formation in south Texas and a HUGE formation in all the state surrounding South Dakota.

Land drilling is much safer than water drilling. We need oil we just need to do it on land.
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 9:27am
One of my best friends was sent to the Gulf after Katrina, and he told me some pretty scary stories about what he was exposed to, knee deep in a chemical cocktail!
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2010 at 3:24pm
Reporter: Growing number of people with health problems along Gulf — “It’s chemical poisoning” (VIDEO)

www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/growing-number-people-health-problems-along-gulf-chemical-poisoning-video
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 10:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic