Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

ATF "Fast and Furious" guns killed US Agent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2011 at 10:06am
Obama Assaults Gun Freedoms
Mainstream media ignores the important stories, hypes nonsense!
www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=45072
quietone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 6:08pm
Full Article
......Codrea also later added a statement from Darrell Issa:

While the reckless disregard for safety that took place in Operation Fast and Furious certainly merits changes within the Department of Justice, the Oversight and Government Reform Committee will continue its investigation to ensure that blame isn’t offloaded on just a few individuals for a matter that involved much higher levels of the Justice Department. There are still many questions to be answered about what happened in Operation Fast and Furious and who else bears responsibility, but these changes are warranted and offer an opportunity for the Justice Department to explain the role other officials and offices played in the infamous efforts to allow weapons to flow to Mexican drug cartels. I also remain very concerned by Acting Director Melson’s statement that the Department of Justice is managing its response in a manner intended to protect its political appointees. Senator Grassley and I will continue to press the Department of Justice for answers in order to ensure that a reckless effort like Fast and Furious does not take place again
Moments after that confirmation, I learned by cell phone that Dennis Burke, Napolitano's protege and U.S. Attorney in Phoenix, had been forced to resign and his equally-culpable assistant Hurley had been laterally transferred to the civil side from the criminal. After David, a number of news outlets started hitting the Net with the story, and more details.
Janet Napolitano's protege lickspittle, Dennis Burke, is out of the Gunwalking business.

William LaJeunnesse at FOX: "ATF Director Reassigned; U.S. Attorney Out Amid 'Fast and Furious' Uproar."

Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson has been reassigned to a lesser post in the Justice Department and the U.S. attorney for Arizona was also pushed out Tuesday as fallout from Operation Fast and Furious reached new heights.

Melson's step down from his role as head of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to the position of senior adviser on forensic science in the Department of Justice's Office of Legal Programs is effective by close of business Tuesday, administration officials announced. U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota B. Todd Jones will replace Melson.

U.S. Attorney for Arizona Dennis Burke, one of the officials closely tied to Fast and Furious, is also a casualty in a shakeup tied to the botched gun-running program. Burke was on the hot seat last week with congressional investigators and, according to several sources, got physically sick during questioning and could not finish his session.

The purge of those responsible for the firearms trafficking scandal continued as new documents reveal a deeper involvement of federal agencies beyond ATF.

In Phoenix, Assistant U.S. Attorney Emory Hurley, who oversaw Fast and Furious on a day-to-day basis, was reassigned from the criminal to civil division. Also in Phoenix, three out of the four whistleblowers involved in the case have been reassigned to new positions outside Arizona. Two are headed to Florida, one to South Carolina.

Hurley's reassignment came after three ATF supervisors responsible for the operation were promoted. William G. McMahon, a former deputy director of operations, took over the Office of Professional Responsibility. Field supervisors William D. Newell and David Voth also moved up despite heavy criticism. . .

According to the Justice Department, Jones will take over ATF in place of Melson beginning Wednesday, and will continue to serve as a U.S. attorney. A permanent replacement at ATF would need to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

"As a seasoned prosecutor and former military judge advocate, U.S. Attorney Jones is a demonstrated leader who brings a wealth of experience to this position," Holder said. "I have great confidence that he will be a strong and steady influence guiding ATF in fulfilling its mission of combating violent crime by enforcing federal criminal laws and regulations in the firearms and explosives industries."

Without mentioning either Melson or Burke's role in the Fast and Furious fiasco, Holder also praised the two for their "dedication" and "commitment" to the Department of Justice.

Simultaneously, Sharyl Attkisson at CBS reported "Gunwalker scandal: ATF director out of top job."

LA Times: "Kenneth Melson, who oversaw ATF's Fast and Furious, steps down."

Katie Pavlich over at Town Hall picked up on the story as well, "ATF 'Shakeup' Over Operation Fast and Furious." She reported:

I contacted the Obama DOJ press office earlier this morning to ask if this was a promotion for Melson and was told "I don't have anyone who can answer your question at this time." I was then was told someone would be contacting me later this afternoon about the issue. There is a strong possibility Melson is being promoted, either for helping the Obama Adminstration to implement more gun control regulations or as a way to get him to shut up after giving testimony to the House Oversight Committee, rather than punishing him for his involvement in the lethal scandal, afterall, three agents who were the brains behind Fast and Furious were promoted just two weeks ago.

The man waiting in the wings to fill Melson's position at ATF is Andrew Traver. Traver is an anti-Second Amendment, anti-gun Chicago zealot who helped fake the following "news story" about "semi-automatic" weapons.

Swish
quietone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 7:56am
'Keep your friends close and your henchmen on the verge of spilling all the beans closer.'

Screw up, move up, cover up: Fast and Furious edition Full Article

By Michelle Malkin • August 31, 2011 09:54 AM

My column today keys off yesterday’s post on the “reassignment” of acting ATF director Kenneth Melson and the re-shuffling of several other Fast and Furious-entangled bureaucrats. The White House hopes the moves will quell spreading outrage over the deadly scandal.

Not bloody likely.

continued...............

In secret July 4 testimony, Melson revealed he was “sick to his stomach” when he discovered the extent of the operation’s deadly lapses. Join the club, pal.

Melson told congressional investigators that he and ATF’s senior leadership “moved to reassign every manager involved in Fast and Furious, from the deputy assistant director for field operations down to the group supervisor” after ATF whistleblowers went to the press and Capitol. But according to Melson, he and company were ordered by Justice Department higher-ups to remain silent about the reasons for the reassignments.

In other words: the ATF managers in the know were “effectively muzzled while the DOJ sent over false denials and buried its head in the sand,” as GOP Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and Sen. Charles Grassley, the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, concluded in July.

Swish
quietone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 6:29pm
Make sure you read the last article about finding Gibson Guitars with the Mexican Cartels, confiscated days earlier in Memphis by the DOJ. 
FOX: "Evidence Suggests Cover-Up in ATF Scandal, as More Guns Appear at Crime Scenes."
Also late Thursday, Sen. Charles Grassley's office revealed that 21 more Fast and Furious guns have been found at violent crime scenes in Mexico.

“The Justice Department has been less than forthcoming since day one, so the revisions here are hardly surprising, and the numbers will likely rise until the more than 1,000 guns that were allowed to fall into the hands of bad guys are recovered -- most likely years down the road," Grassley said in a statement released Thursday.

Also, from Dave Workman, "Bombshell: Documents suggest official Fast & Furious cover-up."
Posted byDutchman6at6:44 AM2 comments

Richard Serrano, LA Times: "White House received emails about Fast and Furious gun-trafficking operation." More Nixonian "modified limited hangout."

A limited hangout, or partial hangout, is a public relations or propaganda technique that involves the release of previously hidden information in order to prevent a greater exposure of more important details. It takes the form of deception, misdirection, or coverup often associated with intelligence agencies involving a release or "mea culpa" type of confession of only part of a set of previously hidden sensitive information, that establishes credibility for the one releasing the information who by the very act of confession appears to be "coming clean" and acting with integrity; but in actuality, by withholding key facts, is protecting a deeper operation and those who could be exposed if the whole truth came out. In effect, if an array of offenses or misdeeds is suspected, this confession admits to a lesser offense while covering up the greater ones.

A limited hangout typically is a response to lower the pressure felt from inquisitive investigators pursuing clues that threaten to expose everything, and the disclosure is often combined with red herrings or propaganda elements that lead to false trails, distractions, or ideological disinformation; thus allowing covert or criminal elements to continue in their improper activities.

Victor Marchetti wrote: "A 'limited hangout' is spy jargon for a favorite and frequently used gimmick of the clandestine professionals. When their veil of secrecy is shredded and they can no longer rely on a phony cover story to misinform the public, they resort to admitting - sometimes even volunteering - some of the truth while still managing to withhold the key and damaging facts in the case. The public, however, is usually so intrigued by the new information that it never thinks to pursue the matter further." -- Wikipedia.

Dan Restrepo, Obama National Security Council adviser for Latin America, indicating the extent of his concern for the Constitution.

Oh, yeah.

Three national security officials were given some details about the operation. But an administration official says the emails do not prove that anyone in the White House was aware of the covert tactics of the program.

But THOSE are NOT all the emails.

Regular readers will remember Dan Restrepo, previously identified back in April by this writer as the probable Oliver North of the Gunwalker Scandal. They will also recall our efforts the get the Issa committee to ask about the O'Reilly-Newell emails at the last hearing -- Kevin O'Reilly being Restrepo's deputy at the NSC.

At the time (both in April and July) I was cautioned by some folks that I was getting ahead of the evidence. One feared that I might be "leaping at illusions."

I trusted my sources. And now, in the wake of yesterday's tactical nuke delivery on the Phoenix US Attorneys Office, we have this:

Newly obtained emails show that the White House was better informed about a failed gun-tracking operation on the border with Mexico than was previously known.

Three White House national security officials were given some details about the operation, dubbed Fast and Furious. The operation allowed firearms to be illegally purchased, with the goal of tracking them to Mexican drug cartels. But the effort went out of control after agents lost track of many of the weapons.

The supervisor of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives operation in Phoenix specifically mentioned Fast and Furious in at least one email to a White House national security official, and two other White House colleagues were briefed on reports from the supervisor, according to White House emails and a senior administration official. . .

He identified the three White House officials who were briefed as Kevin M. O'Reilly, director of North American Affairs for the White House national security staff; Dan Restrepo, the president's senior Latin American advisor; and Greg Gatjanis, a White House national security official.

Great stuff, right? Ah, but the White is ready with more Nixonian spin of the "modified limited hangout" sort. This has happened before in this scandal, also through the good offices of Richard Serrano.

Here's the latest from Serrano's story:

But the senior administration official said the emails, obtained Thursday by The Times, did not prove that anyone in the White House was aware of the covert "investigative tactics" of the operation.

"The emails validate what has been said previously, which is no one at the White House knew about the investigative tactics being used in the operation, let alone any decision to let guns walk," said the official, who was not authorized to speak about it publicly. "To the extent that some [national security staff members] were briefed on the top lines of ongoing federal efforts, so were members of Congress."

. . . "The emails were not forwarded beyond them, and we are not aware of any [additional] briefings related to that email chain," the official said.

The emails were sent between July 2010 and February of this year before it was disclosed that agents had lost track of hundreds of guns. Many are thought to have fallen into criminal hands, and some have turned up at crime scenes in Mexico and the United States, including at the fatal shooting of a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

"The emails were sent between July 2010 and February of this year before it was disclosed that agents had lost track of hundreds of guns." Serrano himself knows that this statement is false. Even ignoring the fact that David and I have been on this story since the first of the year, Charles Grassley's letters to the administration began on 27 January.

According to the emails, William D. Newell, then the ATF field supervisor for Arizona and New Mexico, was in close contact with O'Reilly and sought the White House's help to persuade the Mexican government to let ATF agents recover U.S. guns across the border.

After earlier emails from Newell to O'Reilly surfaced, Newell testified to congressional investigators in July that the two were friends and acknowledged that he probably should not have sent them to him. But the new emails indicate that Newell and O'Reilly were in deeper discussions about gun operations on the border.

In July 2010, about nine months after Fast and Furious started, O'Reilly was seeking information about ways to fight gun trafficking in Arizona when he emailed Newell.

"Just an informal 'how's it going?' " he wrote. He titled the email "GRIT Surge Phoenix," an acronym for Gun Runner Impact Teams.

Newell replied that things were "going very well actually."

Though not mentioning Fast and Furious by name, he talked about large numbers of ATF agents being temporarily transferred to Arizona to work on cases, apparently alluding to the Fast and Furious program. He also praised their work on "firearms trafficking investigations with direct links to Mexican" cartels, which was the main goal of Fast and Furious.

"This is great," O'Reilly replied. "Very informative."

O'Reilly asked whether he could share the information with Restrepo and Gatjanis. He added that the information "would not leave NSS, I assure you."

Newell answered, "Sure, just don't want ATF HQ to find out, especially since this is what they should be doing (briefing you)!"

A third email went from Newell to O'Reilly on Feb. 11, two months after Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was killed in Arizona and Fast and Furious weapons were found at the scene.

Newell discussed the just-obtained indictments of 20 people, including Jaime Avila, for illegal gun purchasing. It was two of Avila's guns bought under Fast and Furious that ended up at the Terry shooting. This time, Newell specifically mentioned Fast and Furious.

"The Fast and Furious indictment is listed under U.S. v Avila and that's the one in which there's an introduction of the techniques used by firearms traffickers," he told O'Reilly. He suggested "we" should use the indictment to draw attention to the arrests through the media in Mexico.

The question is, how many more emails are there indicating White House culpability? My sources say many.

One advised, "Keep digging."

We will.
Posted byDutchman6at4:43 AM1 comments

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The cover-up is undeniable. Grassley & Issa drop a nuke on Phoenix US Attorneys Office. Emails utterly damning. Newell perjury certain.

David's take: ATF emails and Assistant US Attorney memo point to official Gunwalker cover-up.

CBS has this blockbuster here.

Congressional investigators tell CBS News there's evidence the U.S. Attorney's office in Arizona sought to cover up a link between their controversial gunwalking operation known as "Fast and Furious" and the death of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

Terry was murdered in Arizona near the US border last December. Two assault rifles ATF had allegedly allowed onto the street without interdiction were found at the scene.

But the US Attorney's office working both the Terry murder and the "Fast and Furious" operation did not immediately disclose the two had any link. Two Republicans investigating the scandal, Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA) and Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) say there's evidence that officials at ATF and the US Attorney's office sought to hide the connection.

">In a letter, Grassley and Issa say the lead prosecutor on Fast and Furious, Assistant US Attorney Emory Hurley, learned almost immediately that guns allowed onto the street in his case, had been recovered at Terry's murder. "(I)n the hours after Agent Terry's death," says the letter from Grassley and Issa, Hurley apparently "contemplated the connection between the two cases and sought to prevent the connection from being disclosed." The Justice Department recently transferred Hurley out of the criminal division into the civil division.

An internal ATF email dated the day after Terry's death reveals the quick decision to not disclose the source of the weapons found at the murder scene: "... this way we do not divulge our current case (Fast and Furious) or the Border Patrol shooting case."

Another ATF email indicates that the justification both offices used to not charge the suspect with crimes related to the murder scene "was to not 'complicate' the FBI's investigation."

ATF whistleblowers revealed the link between the two cases to Congressional investigators and CBS News, saying their supervisors were attempting to cover it up.

Today's letter from the Congressional Republicans also criticizes Hurley's boss, US Attorney Dennis Burke. It says Burke denied a connection between Fast and Furious and Terry's murder in court, but recently "readily admitted the connection" in an interview with Congressional investigators. Burke resigned from his job on Tuesday.

The Justice Department had no immediate comment. Burke and Hurley were not immediately reachable for comment.

Here's the Wall Street Journal take.

LATER: The target of this is Burke. Burke is in a bind. He is reported to have been losing both sleep and weight, and is looking "haggard and weary." His interview with the committee a few days was unsatisfactory, from what I hear, on both sides. He's going to have to give a lot more up before he gets any kind of deal. Who could he give up?

The references to OCDETF are no accident. F&F was a DOJ-driven operation encompassing a whole lot of other agencies besides ATF -- including, significantly, DHS -- and higher ups in DOJ. And Burke was? Anybody? Bueller? That's right, Napolitano's former chief of staff. Burke can give them a whole hell of a lot more than he has so far. The reference to the FBI investigation was not done idly either. The prairie fire picks up velocity.

Who's got the popcorn?

Posted byDutchman6at4:27 PM12 comments

Fast and Furious: Obama’s Watergate

"Something far more sinister."

President Obama will face many obstacles in the looming 2012 elections. A stagnant economy, unpopular healthcare reform, a soaring deficit and an overall failure to achieve most of the things he promised during his campaign. Yet there is something far more sinister currently under the microscope of a congressional investigation. Indeed, something which has the potential to do far more damage to his besieged administration. This is Operation Fast and Furious, the latest in a long series of humiliating ATF failures that has resulted in the deaths of two federal agents and at least 150 shootings in Mexico.
Posted byDutchman6at5:08 AM6 comments

"I stood up." -- "The Truth About Being A Hero."

I am very grateful for Bob Wright forwarding me this. If you read nothing else today, read this.
Posted byDutchman6at2:06 AM6 comments

Great send-up.

New Scandal at DoJ as Illegal Guitars End Up In Hands of Mexican Drug Lords
Posted byDutchman6at3:06 PM5 comments
Sipsey Street Exclusive: The Long Meeting They Didn't Invite the Press To -- Phoenix Bilateral Arms Trafficking Conference, 22-26 September 2009.
Well, well, well. Another Wikileaks cable. This time a report on a meeting that they didn't invite the press to. Note that it was immediately before the events described in "Meetings: Part 4." Note also where it was held: in "Gunwalker Bill" Newell's Phoenix.

Cable reference id: #09MEXICO2952

Subject Northern Border Conference Focuses Sights On Arms Trafficking Cooperation
Origin Embassy Mexico (Mexico)
Cable time Fri, 9 Oct 2009 22:31 UTC
Classification UNCLASSIFIED
Source http://wikileaks.org/cable/2009/10/09MEXICO2952.html
History First published on Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:30 UTC

VZCZCXRO7260
RR RUEHCD RUEHGD RUEHHO RUEHMC RUEHNG RUEHNL RUEHRD RUEHRS RUEHTM DE RUEHME #2952/01 2822231
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 092231Z OCT 09
FM AMEMBASSY MEXICO
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 8584
INFO RUEHXC/ALL US CONSULATES IN MEXICO COLLECTIVE
RHMFIUU/DEPT OF JUSTICE WASHINGTON DC
RUEHC/DEPT OF LABOR WASHINGTON DC
RUEATRS/DEPT OF TREASURY WASHINGTON DC
RUCPDOC/DEPT OF COMMERCE WASHINGTON DC
RHMFISS/CDR USSOUTHCOM MIAMI FL
RUEAHLA/DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
RUEABND/DEA HQS WASHINGTON DC RHEHAAA/NSC WASHINGTON DC
UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 02 MEXICO 002952
SIPDIS
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PGOV [Internal Governmental Affairs] PREL [External Political Relations] PINR [Intelligence] KCRM [Criminal Activity] SNAR [Narcotics] MX [Mexico]

SUBJECT: NORTHERN BORDER CONFERENCE FOCUSES SIGHTS ON ARMS TRAFFICKING COOPERATION

¶1. (SBU) Summary: GOM and USG law enforcement officials huddled September 22-26 in Phoenix at the Northern Border Conference to discuss expanding cooperation on combating arms trafficking. Both sides support a greater exchange of information on firearms sales as well as relevant legislation on firearms, including statutes that speak to prosecuting arms traffickers. Future progress will rely on progress by sub-working groups on a wide range of action items in advance of a follow-on conference in Tapachula, Mexico at the end of October. End Summary. Participants

¶2. (SBU) Officials from the Mexican Army (SEDENA), Navy (SEMAR), the Attorney General's Office (PGR), the Federal Police (SSP), Tax Collection (SAT), Intelligence (CISEN), the President's Office, and Foreign Affairs (SRE) represented Mexico at the meeting. The PGR representatives included prosecutors, forensic experts and intelligence analysts. The U.S. delegation included representatives of the Arizona Attorney General's Office, ATF, CBP, DEA, the Defense Attach's Office, DOJ, ICE, FBI, ONDCP, the Phoenix Police Department, ONDCP and NAS. The DOJ representatives included prosecutors from Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Utah and the DOJ Criminal Division. All of the U.S. representatives invited to the conference participate in firearms trafficking interdiction and/or prosecution that includes operational or programmatic functions. Seeing is Understanding

¶3. (SBU) The conference was tailored to requests by the Mexican side. Off-site tours included a firearm licensee establishment, a gun show, the Phoenix Police department, and the ATF headquarters and firing range. These off-site tours highlighted vendor security and compliance, forensic processing of actual cases, and maintenance of firearm forensic evidence. In their classroom sessions, participants learned how U.S. officials detect and track straw purchasers of firearms (individuals who purchase multiple weapons for others or willingly allow their identity to be used by others to purchase firearms) using databases and E-trace (a program designed to trace weapons sales to the last vendor) to support investigations. PGR requested additional E-trace accounts to facilitate future tracing efforts, and ATF immediately granted five accounts.

¶4. (SBU) The conference also pinpointed several follow-up issues for the bilateral arms trafficking implementation group (GC Armas). Vetted units, such as the ICE BEST (Border Enforcement Security Task-force) unit, assume a key role in the investigation of information on arms movements between the two sides. Both sides agree on the need to establish guidelines for strengthening these vetted units. In addition, the U.S. and Mexican representatives discussed the creation of an inter-institutional group dedicated to firearm inspection and database information mining. This matter will require follow-up as GC Armas seeks to enhance the collection and utilization of intelligence from existing cases as well as current arms seizure forensics in order to connect the dots on trafficking patterns and traffickers. Can We All Just Share More?

¶5. (SBU) Conference participants agreed that effective prosecutions in each country rely on consistent data from firearm seizures on both sides of the border. At the very least, they need the following firearm data: (1) serial number (including obliteration information), (2) make and model, (3) importer information found on the weapon, (4) date of seizure, (5) location of seizure, (6) nature and circumstances of the seizure, (7) finder, seizing official, and forensic processor of the firearm, (8) caliber and action, (9) photograph and criminal history of individuals arrested, and (10) point of contacts for locating seized weapon.

¶6. (SBU) The two sides then need to share more information with each other. Septel will discuss the GOM desire to create a single database of all seized firearms -- which may MEXICO 00002952 002 OF 002 or may not be a realizable objective. In the meantime, though, the GOM and USG agreed to explore the potential for sharing existing databases, with the USG on the hook to explore its international protocols in order to allow PGR CENAPI (the investigative branch of the Mexican Attorney General) greater access to E-trace. Once the sides embrace a structure and guidelines for sharing information, each country will need to develop a consistent statistical method for measuring fruitful investigations and successful prosecutions. Such statistics will lend themselves to tracking trends, developing targets for in-bound and outbound port interdiction, creating "lookouts" in targeting systems, and focusing attention on arms trafficking danger spots in each country.

¶7. (SBU) The complexity of U.S. laws, in particular, the differences between individual states and U.S. federal law, is a source of immense confusion to Mexican Officials. Both countries pledged to share translations of federal firearms laws with an aim to foster greater GOM appreciation for the kind of information required for bilateral case development and the strict rules that U.S. law enforcement faces in the apprehension and prosecution of offenders. Inasmuch as laws dictate the forensic requirements needed for crime scene management and evidence handling, each country will develop training programs tailored to established guidelines.

¶8. (SBU) USG representatives agreed to explore creative prosecution strategies to attack firearms trafficking, including possible reliance on statutes involving conspiracy to distribute and possession with intent to distribute, and RICO (Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Institutions). The U.S. conveyed its readiness to train prosecutors on both sides of the border on using these possible tools more effectively. In addition, the U.S. side said that it would explore expanding the use of Article IV of the U.S. and Mexico Extradition Treaty, which allows the extradition of Mexican nationals from the U.S. to Mexico to be prosecuted for trafficking weapons that fall into the hands of organized criminals in Mexico.

¶9. (SBU) Comment: The Phoenix Bilateral Arms Trafficking Conference opened the eyes of participants to the immense amount of work that needs to occur on both sides of the border to abate the flow of illegal weapons across the border. The Mexicans acquired a better appreciation of the challenges facing U.S. law enforcement in the investigation and prosecution of individuals or entities involved in firearm crimes. The USG pledged to provide Mexican officials with training, as appropriate, to facilitate compliance with U.S. legal requirements. Meanwhile, both sides agreed on the need for greater information sharing on arms trafficked and seized. Each side will need to continue to engage aggressively on the issues raised at this conference as well as the programs identified in the GC Armas sub-working groups in order to demonstrate adequate progress in the run-up to the Tapachula Arms Conference scheduled for the end of October. End
Posted byDutchman6at12:52 PM2 comments

Issa on Van Susteren: "Much Higher" than Melson.

Link.

Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a>
Posted byDutchman6at12:26 PM4 comments
Swish
quietone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 11:04pm
Swish
quietone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 5:47pm
'It is not just Holder and Obama. Mueller sat in on meetings where Fast and Furious was authorized and discussed. FBI informants using stimulus funding bought the guns from straw buyers and packed them in trucks for shipment across the border. ICE agents were instructed to NOT inspect those vehicles. THAT is the responsibility of Dear Janet. State Department personnel in Mexico were NOT notified of what was being done. THAT is the responsibility of HRH Hillary. Furthermore, guns were bought in Dallas and in Houston and ALSO shipped to Mexico. Those cities are NOT under the Phoenix Field Division of BATFE, but instead have their OWN Field Divisions. Have any of you EVER dealt with a Federal bureaucracy? Do you have ANY doubt that at least THOSE TWO Field Divisions ALSO had operations like Fast and Furious that were run out of THEIR offices? Yet NONE of the Agents from those Field Divisions has yet been honorable enough to come forward.

Furthermore, the Tampa Field Division of BATFEW was running guns to supporters of former president Zelaya in Honduras, with the help of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office, the Orange County Sheriff's Office, the Osceola County Sheriff's Office, and the Miami-Dade Police Department.

The stench is overwhelming. And it runs a WHOLE LOT DEEPER than just Holder and The One.'
Comment from article

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/12/issa-%e2%80%98only-way%e2%80%99-eric-holder-%e2%80%98didn%e2%80%99t-know%e2%80%99-about-fast-and-furious-is-if-%e2%80%98he-made-sure-he-didn%e2%80%99t-want-to-know%e2%80%99/#ixzz1Xn0KYlaA
House oversight committee chairman Rep. Darrell Issa went after Attorney General Eric Holder on national conservative radio host Laura Ingraham’s show Monday morning. Issa said even if Holder really didn’t know about Operation Fast and Furious, he should’ve.

“We have a paper trail of so many people knowing that the only way the attorney general didn’t know is he made sure he didn’t want to know,” Issa said. “But if you don’t want to know something of this sort then you shouldn’t have the job he has. And ultimately one of the questions is, if he didn’t know, is he that inept that he is dangerous to have as the attorney general, and that is for the president to decide.”

Operation Fast and Furious was a botched gun walking operation where Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents facilitated the sale of weapons to Mexican drug cartels via straw purchasers. Straw purchasers are people who could buy guns in the United States legally, but did so with the intention of turning around and selling them to drug cartels.

“This thing was dumber than Iran-Contra, and as a Republican I hate to say that, but this was so dumb that there was no chance of it ever yielding the kind of solutions that they claimed it would,” Issa said on Ingraham’s show.

Last week, Congressional investigators Issa and Sen. Chuck Grassley made their first Fast and Furious document requests directly to the White House. They requested documents and communications relating to Fast and Furious involving three senior Obama administration officials.

In a letter to Obama national security adviser Thomas Donilon, Issa and Grassley also requested copies of all communications those three officials had with ATF field personnel in Phoenix.

The written request from Capitol Hill came shortly after it was discovered that the lead ATF agent on Operation Fast and Furious, William Newell, communicated with three White House officials about some details of the operation.

The three White House officials reported to have communicated with Newell on the botched ATF program are Kevin M. O’Reilly, director of North American Affairs for the White House national security staff; Dan Restrepo, the president’s senior Latin American advisor; and Greg Gatjanis, a White House national security official.

In their letter, Issa and Grassley asked the White House to provide the requested communications by noon on September 23, but sooner if possible. They are also requesting a transcribed interview with O’Reilly by the end of September, setting a September 14 deadline to set a date for that interview.

LISTEN:

----------------------------------------------------------------
More Comments:
  • If this was a way to infringe on the rights of citizens - this wouldn't have been the way to do it though.
  • Please, do go on. It seems to me to be a dandy way to get folks fired up and pointing fingers at legitimate gun dealers by pointing to their involvement in arming people who obviously commit gun murders at wholesale levels. A "good" crisis, as Rahm might say, to pass stricter gun control legislation.
  • And Elijah Cummings tried to pass that legislation just as we were finding out about Fast and Furious.
  • But that is an issue of problems with exporting guns. It doesn't help Holder's case with trying to infringe on the domestic trade of guns. One can simply change the law to restrict the export of guns and other firearms.

If they're trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes...they're failing miserably.

• Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/12/issa-%e2%80%98only-way%e2%80%99-eric-holder-%e2%80%98didn%e2%80%99t-know%e2%80%99-about-fast-and-furious-is-if-%e2%80%98he-made-sure-he-didn%e2%80%99t-want-to-know%e2%80%99/#ixzz1Xn13skz7
    Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 5:53pm

Secret recordings raise new questions in ATF 'Gunwalker' operation

By
    Sharyl Attkisson

(Credit: CBS/AP)
    Updated 5:09 pm, Sept. 19, 2011 with comment from the Office of the Inspector General

WASHINGTON - CBS News has obtained secretly recorded conversations that raise questions as to whether some evidence is being withheld in the murder of a Border Patrol agent.

(Scroll down to listen to the audio)

The tapes were recorded approximately mid-March 2011 by the primary gun dealer cooperating with ATF in its "Fast and Furious" operation: Andre Howard, owner of Lone Wolf Trading Company in Glendale, Arizona. He's talking with the lead case ATF case agent Hope MacAllister.

The tapes have been turned over to Congressional investigators and the Inspector General.

As CBS News first reported last February, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives allegedly allowed thousands of weapons to "walk" onto the streets without interdiction into the hands of suspected traffickers for Mexican drug cartels in its operation "Fast and Furious."

The conversations refer to a third weapon recovered at the murder scene of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

Agent: I was ordered to let guns into Mexico

Court records have previously only mentioned two weapons: Romanian WASR "AK-47 type" assault rifles. Both were allegedly sold to suspects who were under ATF's watch as part of Fast and Furious.

Also, a ballistics report turned over to Congressional investigators only mentions the two WASR rifles. The ballistics report says it's inconclusive as to whether either of the WASR rifles fired the bullet that killed Terry.

Law enforcement sources and others close to the Congressional investigation say the Justice Department's Inspector General obtained the audio tapes several months ago as part of its investigation into Fast and Furious.

Then, the sources say for some reason the Inspector General passed the tapes along to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona: a subject in the investigation. It's unclear why the Inspector General, who is supposed to investigate independently, would turn over evidence to an entity that is itself under investigation.

A spokesman from the Office of the Inspector General today said, "The OIG officially provided the United States Attorney's Office with a copy of the recordings in question so that the USAO could consider them in connection with the government's disclosure obligations in the pending criminal prosecutions of the gun traffickers. Prior to receiving the tapes, the OIG made clear that we would have to provide a copy of the recordings to the United States Attorney's Office because they would need to review them to satisfy any legal disclosure obligations."

(Listen to the audio)

In the audiotapes, ATF Agent MacAllister tells Howard that a third weapon recovered at the Brian Terry murder scene last December is an SKS assault rifle. Agent MacAllister claims to know that the SKS "had nothing to do with" the Brian Terry murder and, unlike the WASR's, did not trace back to the Lone Wolf gun store.

It's unclear why a weapon would be, in essence, missing from the evidence disclosed at the crime scene under FBI jurisdiction.

Agent MacAllister and Howard (the gun dealer) also discuss various Republicans and Democrats in Congress who are investigating Fast and Furious. They express concern that whistleblower ATF special agent John Dodson has further evidence that could be damaging to the government.

Transcript of the audio below:

Agent: Well there was two.

Dealer: There's three weapons.

Agent: There's three weapons.

Dealer: I know that.

Agent: And yes, there's serial numbers for all three.

Dealer: That's correct.

Agent: Two of them came from this store.

Dealer: I understand that.

Agent: There's an SKS that I don't think came from.... Dallas or Texas or something like that.

Dealer: I know. talking about the AK's

Agent: The two AK's came from this store.

Dealer: I know that.

Agent: Ok.

Dealer: I did the Goddamned trace

Agent: Third weapon is the SKS has nothing to do with it.

Dealer: That didn't come from me.

Agent: No and there is that's my knowledge. and I spoke to someone who would know those are the only ones they have. So this is the agent who's working the case, all I can go by is what she told me.

Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 9:18pm

Somebody is paying bigtime to keep this out of the media.................too close to the top?

Full Article
    ~comment~
    "How many people died because of Solyndra again?"

I'm reminded of the catchphrase of a bluntly-spoken salesman for a fault-tolerant computer company, which he used whenever prospects asked him why his company's expensive product was in great demand by credit card companies and brokerages, but not so much by hospitals and healthcare organizations: "Because in America today, your life ain't worth s*t, but your money… now, that's important."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Obama’s Operation Fast and Furious Program Linked to Over 200 Murders

Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 12:12 PM

200 Murders.
    Obama’s failed Fast and Furious program is linked to 200 murders in Mexico. And the program is linked to at least 11 crimes here in the United States including the murder of US border agent Brian Terry.

Town Hall reported:

In a conference call this morning with Chairman of the House Oversight Committee Darrell Issa, reporters were told the Attorney General in Mexico has confirmed at least 200 murders south of the border happened as a result of Operation Fast and Furious. Eleven crimes in the United States have been linked to Operation Fast and Furious up to this point. Issa said he expects as the investigation in the operation continues, more crimes connected to Fast and Furious will come to light and be exposed. This is not surprising, considering out of 2500 weapons the Obama Justice Department allowed to “walk,” and that only 600 have been recovered, the rest are lost until they show up at violent crime scenes. The damage from Operation Fast and Furious has only started to be seen. Remember, the Mexican Government and ATF agents working in Mexico were left completely in the dark about the operation.

Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 7:25pm

U.S. Government Used Taxpayer Funds to Buy, Sell Weapons During ‘Fast and Furious,’ Documents Show
    By William Lajeunesse
    Published September 26, 2011

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/26/us-government-bought-and-sold-weapons-during-fast-and-furious-documents-show/ Full Article and Comments

Excerpt:

Not only did U.S. officials approve, allow and assist in the sale of more than 2,000 guns to the Sinaloa cartel -- the federal government used taxpayer money to buy semi-automatic weapons, sold them to criminals and then watched as the guns disappeared.

This disclosure, revealed in documents obtained by Fox News, could undermine the Department of Justice's previous defense that Operation Fast and Furious was a "botched" operation where agents simply "lost track" of weapons as they were transferred from one illegal buyer to another. Instead, it heightens the culpability of the federal government as Mexico, according to sources, has opened two criminal investigations into the operation that flooded their country with illegal weapons

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/26/us-government-bought-and-sold-weapons-during-fast-and-furious-documents-show/#comment#ixzz1Z7DGwJeU

Fox seems to have some info that SSR (Sipsey Street Regulars) doesn’t. From the Fox article:

According to sources directly involved in the case, Dodson felt strongly that the weapons should not be abandoned and the stash house should remain under 24-hour surveillance. However, Voth (ATF Supervisor) disagreed and ordered the surveillance team to return to the office. Dodson refused, and for six days in the desert heat kept the house under watch, defying direct orders from Voth.

A week later, a second vehicle showed up to transfer the weapons. Dodson called for an interdiction team to move in, make the arrest and seize the weapons. Voth refused and the guns disappeared with no surveillance.

I don’t see that episode in the SSR piece.

Hell of a scene, by the way. Dodson grows further in my estimation. Comment

---------------

• QUESTION- SINCE THE DEATH OF A USA CITIZEN OCCURRED DUE TO THIS 'GOVERNMENT APPROVED' PROJECT, WILL THOSE WHO AUTHORIZED THIS ACTION ALSO BE CHARGED WITH MANSLAUGHTER?
    Comment
  • It should be conspiracy to commit murder as the end result was what was expected. To deny that would be naive and dismissive. Those and all of those who were involved should be prosecuted as though they were responsible for the murder of the victims just like if you went to rob a store and someone gets killed even though you did not do the killing. Comment
    Let’s see, DOJ, ATF, FBI, DHS, DEA, and the State Dept., all brought up on RICO violations. Now that WOULD be interesting. Comment

Gunwalker: ATF Walked Guns Directly to Cartel Using Taxpayer Dollars

Senator Charles Grassley's office corroborates the story to PJ Media.
    September 26, 2011 - 11:55 am - by Bob Owens

Mike Vanderboegh at Sipsey Street Irregulars and David Codrea at the Gun Rights Examiner have broken an exclusive story that claims the ATF authorized the sale of firearms directly to the agency in order to have them provided directly to the cartels:

A letter forwarded on Friday by a proven reliable source to Gun Rights Examiner and Mike Vanderboegh of Sipsey Street Irregulars documents Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives management authorizing the sale of firearms, which sources say were intended for delivery to cartel purchasers as part of the “Fast and Furious” / ”Gunwalker” scandal.

A copy of the letter, which bears the handwritten note of the gun dealer who accepted it, is also posted at the Examiner. The note reads: “Picked up guns 6/10/10. Paid cash.” The line “Paid cash” was underlined. The ATF special agent authorized to pick up the weapons was John Dodson, the agent who became the first whistleblower on Operation Fast and Furious after two walked guns from the smuggling operation turned up at the scene of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry’s murder.

According to Vanderboegh:

The existence of this letter provided to these reporters by a previously reliable source familiar with the Fast and Furious investigation, coupled with interviews of other sources across the country which put it into context, provides startling proof that the Federal government did not merely “lose track” of weapons purchased by “straw buyers” under surveillance by the ATF and destined for the Mexican drug cartels. In an undercover operation ordered by Fast and Furious supervisor David Voth, the U.S. government purchased firearms with taxpayer money from licensed firearms dealers, instructed them to conduct the sales “off the books,” and used an ATF agent, John Dodson, to deliver them directly to people that Dodson believed were conducting them across the border.

According one source close to the Issa committee and knowledgeable of its workings, this revelation “puts a stake in the heart of the ‘botched sting operation’ lie.” He continued, “There never was any ‘sting,’ there was only a deliberate effort to provide weapons to the DTO’s (Drug Trafficking Organizations).” He added, “this was one hundred percent us — our money, our guy, our (gun)walking.”

A spokesperson for Senator Charles Grassley responded to the allegations by Vanderboegh/Codrea by noting:

In a March 3 letter to Attorney General Holder and Acting ATF Director Melson, Senator Grassley released Reports of Investigation (Attachment 1 to the letter linked below) in relation to the same case to which Mr. Voth’s letter pertains. There is more detailed information about this non-Fast and Furious case in those previously released ROIs than in Mr. Voth’s letter. The Voth letter was not obtained until later and merely corroborates the information already in the ROIs.

The letter and attachment noted by Grassley’s office corroborate Vanderboegh/Codrea’s claim, and show that Dodson bought the weapons from Guns for All, a FFL in Peoria, AZ.

The allegation that the purpose of Operation Fast and Furious was a plot to inject weapons of American dealer origin into the near civil war between the Mexican government and drug cartels is utterly consistent with previously revelations about the conspiracy. The stated cover story for Operation Fast and Furious and alleged parallel Gunwalker plots in Houston, Dallas, and Tampa never made sense and would have been shot down by risk-averse bureaucrats before it even became a formal proposal.

There was never any method to track the firearms provided to the cartels. The cartel leaders that were the alleged target of the investigation never would have been involved in such low-level work as weapons procurement, an allegation on par with claiming they can ensnare a Fortune 500 CEO for the purchase of toner for printers. And of course, the U.S. government does not have the authority to arrest suspects across an international border in Mexico. The justification for the operation is laughable even as a hastily trumped-up cover story. Those who were a part of the conspiracy felt they had political cover at the highest level of government, and didn’t believe they needed but the thinnest of veneers of a cover story for their actions, which have led to weapons being recovered at the scenes of over 200 murders in Mexico and to the shooting of three U.S. federal agents.

If Vanderboegh/Codrea are correct — and for the duration of this scandal they have been dead-on accurate — Dodson was chosen by his superiors to become the “walker” of Fast and Furious guns in order to “dirty” him for his previous vehement arguments against the operations. The apparent hope was that if he was sullied in the operation himself, that he would be unwilling or unable to blow the whistle on crimes that he himself participated in. Obviously, they miscalculated his character.

The plot to ensnare Dodson sounds like a Hollywood mob movie for a very good reason; this kind of stunt has been revealed in multiple RICO prosecutions of organized crime.

The unraveling Gunwalker conspiracy has the potential of being the most devastating scandal in the history of American politics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment:

Using agency funds (taxpayers’ money) to buy the weapons to be transferred to the cartels means that the operation has, prima facie, violated U.S. Code Title 18, Part 1, chap. 96, section 1960-61, defining the use of federal funds to illegally obtain and/or transfer controlled substances and/or items to unauthorized third parties.

To do this within the law (as in a drug transaction) requires a bench warrant from a state or federal court. The buying or selling has to be done in a controlled manner, the item(s) must never be out of law enforcement control (meaning they at least must be tracked), and they cannot cross state lines or national boundaries without proper notification of authorities on the “receiving end”.

“Fast & Furious” and “Gunwalker” have, on the face of it, violated all of the above provisions.

Considering the level of stupidity on display at ATF, the agency might want to consider an insanity defense. If the orders came from “on high”, the officials issuing them might be better off resigning right now

Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2011 at 11:01pm

Friday night F&F document dump shows “extensive” communication with White House

posted at 9:15 am on October 1, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

When a White House dumps documents late on a Friday, it’s not because they aren’t newsworthy. It’s usually because they’re embarrassing, or potentially incriminating. Yesterday we got an almost perfect example of the art when the Obama administration finally released selected documents on the Fast & Furious scandal that prove “extensive” communications between the ATF’s field office and the White House on the deadly project:

Late Friday, the White House turned over new documents in the Congressional investigation into the ATF “Fast and Furious” gunwalking scandal.

The documents show extensive communications between then-ATF Special Agent in Charge of the Phoenix office Bill Newell – who led Fast and Furious – and then-White House National Security Staffer Kevin O’Reilly. Emails indicate the two also spoke on the phone. Such detailed, direct communications between a local ATF manager in Phoenix and a White House national security staffer has raised interest among Congressional investigators looking into Fast and Furious. Newell has said he and O’Reilly are long time friends. …

Among the documents produced: an email in which ATF’s Newell sent the White House’s O’Reilly an “arrow chart reflecting the ultimate destination of firearms we intercepted and/or where the guns ended up.” The chart shows arrows leading from Arizona to destinations all over Mexico.

In response, O’Reilly wrote on Sept. 3, 2010 “The arrow chart is really interesting – and – no surprise – implies at least that different (Drug Trafficking Organizations) in Mexico have very different and geographically distinct networks in the US for acquiring guns. Did last year’s TX effort develop a similar graphic?”

In other words, the White House knew that the guns had gone over the border, and treated it like an academic exercise. O’Reilly apparently never asked in his capacity as a national security adviser, “What the hell were you thinking in allowing the guns to get across the border?” Instead, O’Reilly wondered if a similar operation in Texas produced a cool map, too.

It sounds as if the Obama administration was on board the idea to allow guns to transit the border, and at the very least shows that no one can claim surprise at the outcome. The White House’s lawyer tried to spin it anyway, writing to the Oversight Committee that “none of the communications between ATF and the White House revealed the investigative law enforcement tactics at issue in your inquiry, let alone any decision to allow guns to ‘walk.’” That may be true — at least as far the documents the White House released, but that’s not all of the communications:

However, the chief counsel to President Barack Obama, Kathryn Ruemmler, indicated that the White House was withholding an unspecified number of internal e-mails exchanged among three National Security Staff aides.

“These internal NSS emails are not included in the enclosed documents because the [Executive Office of the President] has significant confidentiality interests in its internal communications,” Ruemmler wrote in a letter to House Oversight & Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) and Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa). The letter, posted here, was obtained Friday by POLITICO.

The latest batch of 102 pages of records partially duplicated information previously sent to Congress and didn’t appear to include any smoking guns showing that White House officials were aware that the operation involved allowing hundreds or thousands of guns to flow essentially unimpeded from the U.S. to Mexican drug cartels.

This is rather amusing. Three years ago, a Democratic House sued to get Karl Rove and Harriet Miers to testify over the termination of US Attorneys, who are political appointments that serve at the pleasure of the President, and rejected the notion that executive privilege applied to such executive-branch personnel decisions. Now we have an ATF operation that armed drug cartels and resulted in hundreds of murders from guns supplied by the US government, including the murder of a Border Patrol agent here in the US — and Democrats think that should be covered by executive privilege.

Something stinks at the White House, and the lawyers are circling the wagons to keep Congress from finding it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20114184-10391695.html

full article and comments by Sharyl Attkisson CBS News

September 30, 2011 9:35 PM

New Fast and Furious docs released by White House

Excerpt

Among the documents produced: an email in which ATF's Newell sent the White House's O'Reilly an "arrow chart reflecting the ultimate destination of firearms we intercepted and/or where the guns ended up." The chart shows arrows leading from Arizona to destinations all over Mexico.

Newell email (09.03.10) (pdf)  

Arizona Gunrunner Impact Team chart (pdf)

In response, O'Reilly wrote on Sept. 3, 2010 "The arrow chart is really interesting - and - no surprise - implies at least that different (Drug Trafficking Organizations) in Mexico have very different and geographically distinct networks in the US for acquiring guns. Did last year's TX effort develop a similar graphic?"

O'Reilly email (09.03.10) (pdf)

The White House counsel who produced the documents stated that some records were not included because of "significant confidentiality interests."

Also included are email photographs including images of a .50 caliber rifle (left) that Newell tells O'Reilly "was purchased in Tucson, Arizona (part of another OCDTF case)." OCDTF is a joint task force that operates under the Department of Justice and includes the US Attorneys, ATF, DEA, FBI, ICE and IRS. Fast and Furious was an OCDTF case.

An administration source would not describe the Tucson OCDTF case. However, CBS News has learned that ATF's Phoenix office led an operation out of Tucson called "Wide Receiver." Sources claim ATF allowed guns to "walk" in that operation, much like Fast and Furious.

Congressional investigators for Republicans Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) and Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) have asked to interview O'Reilly by September 30. But the Administration informed them that O'Reilly is on assignment for the State Department in Iraq and unavailable. One administration source says White House national security staffers were "briefed on the toplines of ongoing federal efforts, but nobody in White House knew about the investigative tactics being used in the operation, let alone any decision to let guns walk."

•  
    • Sharyl Attkisson

Sharyl Attkisson is a CBS News investigative correspondent based in Washington. All of her stories, videos and blogs are available here.

Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 8:50pm
    The new documents leave no doubt that high level Justice officials knew guns were being "walked."
    This means Eric Holder Lied under Oath.... See Video
    --------------------------------
    Comment from Article.......
    And let's never forget as these guns will continue to turn up for years to come how it was each, Obama, Holder, Napolitano and Clinton that stood in front of America and proclaimed the gun violence and proliferation of guns in Mexico the fault of honest gun store owners and law abiding citizens.......... (Let us not forget Hillary as well)

What they did here goes way beyond mere liberal progressive hypocrisy...........their actions have and continue to cause real deaths of real human beings here and in Mexico. People who don't deserve to die merely because Obama and his cronies wanted an excuse to reinstate useless gun controls............

It's not just Holder and his lies that need accounting for..........it's all of them........

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/03/documents-suggest-holder-knew-about-fast-and-furious-earlier-than-claimed/#comment#ixzz1ZmNfwLt0

Documents Suggest Holder Knew About 'Fast and Furious' Earlier Than He Claimed

By William Lajeunesse

Published October 03, 2011

| FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/03/documents-suggest-holder-knew-about-fast-and-furious-earlier-than-claimed/#http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/03/documents-suggest-holder-knew-about-fast-and-furious-earlier-than-claimed/#

For the first time, documents appear to show Attorney General Eric Holder was made aware of the Operation Fast and Furious earlier than he claimed -- up to 9 nine months earlier.

The documents seem to contradict what Holder told a House Judiciary Committee on May 3, when he said he could not recall the exact date, but he'd "probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks."

New Documents in 'Fast and Furious' Scandal

However, in a July 2010 memo, Michael Walther, director of the National Drug Intelligence Center, told Holder straw buyers in the Operation Fast and Furious case "are responsible for the purchase of 1,500 firearms that were then supplied to the Mexican drug trafficking cartels."

Also, on October 18, 2010, one of Holder's chief deputies, Lanny Breuer, chief of the department's Criminal Division, told Holder in a memo that prosecutors were ready to issue indictments in Operation Fast and Furious.

Documents also show, contrary to earlier reports, the Justice Department was aware that ATF agents under the department's direction were involved in the controversial practice known as "gun walking" -- allowing illicit gun sales to proceed to track the traffickers to higher-ups. The department has said it did not allow guns to "walk."

When agents "let guns walk," they stop surveillance and allow criminals to transfer weapons to others. In this case, that meant allowing the guns to cross the border into Mexico. It is a highly controversial practice agents typically are taught not to do.

However, in an October 17, 2010 memo, Deputy Attorney General Jason Weinstein asks another attorney in the Criminal Division if Breuer should do a press conference when Fast and Furious is announced, but says, "It's a tricky case, given the number of guns that have walked."

His associate, James Trusty writes back, "It's not going to be any big surprise that a bunch of US guns are being used in MX (Mexico), so I’m not sure how much grief we'll get for 'gun walking.'"

Until now, there's been an attempt to portray Operation Fast and Furious as a rogue operation by ATF agents in Phoenix and the Arizona U.S. Attorney's Office. But insiders claim these documents show the Department of Justice in Washington was intimately aware of the case almost from the beginning.

In response to the documents released today, the Justice Department said Holder’s response referred to when he first learned of the “troubling tactics” of the program. A Justice spokesperson also says that the “gun walking” referred to in the October 2010 email exchange is about another case initiated before Operation Fast and Furious.

804 Comments
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Holder Lied, People Died
    On May 3, 2011, Holder told a Judiciary Committee hearing, "I'm not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks."

Yet internal Justice Department documents show that at least ten months before that hearing, Holder began receiving frequent memos discussing Fast and Furious.

Read the new documents:

Read the July 5, 2010 memo

Read the "It's a tricky case" email

Read the memo to AG Holder from Asst. AG Lanny A. Breuer.

Swish
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 3:13pm
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 2:11pm

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/10/fast_and_furious_in_a_rotten_nutshell.html

Article and Comments

Fast amd Furious in a Rotten Nutshell
    October 7, 2011
    by Ronald Kolb

When Holder is called back to Congress they need to ask simple questions, like: Mr. Holder, who reads incoming memos that are addressed to you? Mr. Holder, is:
    English your primary language? Mr. Holder, do you have trouble comprehending written English in other situations? If so, please describe those challenges. Mr. Holder, are there other programs in operation in which guns are being delivered out of the United States into other drug cartels in other countries, thus creating confusion for you as to WHICH gun running program was being discussed? Mr. Holder, can you fill us in on the details behind the Mark Rich pardon? Exactly how did you provide deniability to William Jefferson Clinton in that situation? And, one last question, Mr. Holder, do you take us for utter fools? Considering all the things that Congress is obviously "ok with" these last three years [based on the fact that they haven't put a stop to them] they might want to be careful who poses that last question, so they don't set themselves up for a blindside.... Comment from article
    WHO is Acting DOJ IG Cynthia Schnedar? Connecting the dots... Questions that need to be answered.

The latest in a series of revelations in the ongoing saga of the Fast and Furious scandal -- where more than 2,000 rifles were knowingly and willfully allowed to be transported untracked from the United States into Mexico -- is truly stunning.

A series of damning memos from 2010 was recently obtained by CBS News, and they indicate that Attorney General Eric Holder -- as well as several senior Justice Department officials -- were aware of the deadly program.

In one of Mr. Holder's weekly briefings in July of last year from Michael Walther, the director of the National Drug Intelligence Center, Mr. Walther had written Holder that the Phoenix-based operation was "responsible for the purchase of 1,500 firearms that were then supplied to Mexican drug trafficking cartels."

That October, Jason Weinstein, the deputy assistant attorney general of the Criminal Division, sent a colleague a memo concerning an upcoming press conference that his boss, Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer (who is a longtime friend and associate of Holder), would be attending.

"It's a tricky case, given the number of guns that have walked," wrote Weinstein.

Then, in October, Breuer himself reported to Holder that "Operation Fast and Furious" would soon be ready for a "takedown."

Fox News then obtained four more weekly briefings in July and August 2010 sent from Mr. Walther to Holder discussing Fast and Furious.

The problem for Mr. Holder is that just this past May, he told Congress while under oath that he had "probably heard about Fast and Furious over the last few weeks."

And only recently, Holder stated that no one in the upper levels of his department was involved. Since the release of the damaging memos, Justice Department spokespeople have given several spurious reasons to explain Holder's statements: that he was confused during his testimony, that he thought he was being asked about another investigation, that he doesn't see every memo that passes his desk. And after calls from Congress for a special counsel, a Justice spokesman attempted to fend off that plan by saying that once Holder had learned of the operation's "questionable tactics" earlier this year, he then "promptly asked the inspector general to investigate the matter."

Cynthia A. Schnedar is the acting inspector general, and just this past month, in yet another stunning revelation, it was discovered that she had released secret audio tapes of candid conversations from last March between Hope McAllister, an ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) agent in the Phoenix office, and Andre Howard, owner of a Phoenix-area gun shop, who had been authorized by the ATF to sell weapons to known Mexican cartel members in the botched sting operation.

On one of the tapes, they discuss a third Fast and Furious rifle that was found at the scene of the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry in a remote area of southern Arizona last December. It had been widely reported that only two rifles were found at the scene, but recent reports tell of a cover-up. The third rifle would have led to an FBI informant.

As for the tapes, it was discovered by congressional investigators that Schnedar had inexplicably given a copy to the U.S. attorney's office in Phoenix before she had even reviewed them. The tapes then ended up being shared with the ATF office there. Both those agencies are among the many entities under investigation in the ever-expanding scandal.

So just who, one may wonder, is Acting Inspector General Cynthia Schnedar?

Until last January, she was deputy inspector general at the Justice Department, having served in that post since June of 2010. When longtime Inspector General Glenn Fine retired from his post in January of this year, Schnedar, as had been expected, was named as acting inspector general on January 29.

But, as luck would have it, two days earlier, Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley went public in a letter to Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich with his concerns about the killing of Brian Terry, which was immediately followed by another letter to Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson on the 31st.

On February 1, the first press reports emerged on what would become a growing scandal.

On March 10, Attorney General Eric Holder made his first of many comments about the internal investigation, telling Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison that he had "asked the Inspector General to try to get to the bottom of it."

"An investigation, an inquiry, is now underway," Holder added.

But should Cynthia Schnedar be the person to conduct the investigation?

It turns out that Ms. Schnedar has long and close ties to Mr. Holder. According to her biography on the Justice Department website, she became assistant U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C. in 1994. Eric Holder had become the U.S. attorney in Washington the previous year, so he in effect was Schnedar's boss from 1994 until 1997, when he left to become President Clinton's deputy attorney general. Holder would become a key player in the scandalous pardons of fugitive billionaire Marc Rich and members of the Puerto Rican nationalist terrorist group known as FALN.

But during Ms. Schnedar's tenure before Holder had departed, it happened that they had ended up working a number of cases together. According to the LexisNexis website, there were at least fourteen of them, usually at the appellate level. For Holder, it was more than just "in name only"; in some of those cases, they apparently co-filed legal briefs.

In one case, they had represented the ATF. In another, they represented both the ATF and DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration), an agency that has now also been linked to Fast and Furious.

Whenever either Eric Holder or President Obama is pressed on Fast and Furious, both refer to the Justice Department's internal investigation that happens to be headed by Ms. Schnedar.

After Holder's comment to Senator Hutchinson in March, he was later questioned by California Representative Darrell Issa at the now-infamous hearing of May 3, when he declared that he had only recently learned of Fast and Furious. He then added defensively that "there's an investigation underway." At that same hearing, when Utah Representative Jason Chaffetz began focusing on the death of Agent Terry, Holder said, "I asked the inspector general to look into that, and I'm waiting -- awaiting that report." Chaffetz then focused on ways to find out who may have known about or authorized the disastrous program. Holder said that that is "part of what the inspector general will be looking at -- who exactly was involved, what the level of knowledge was, who should be held accountable, if in fact there were mistakes that were made."

On May 4, Holder twice told Senator Grassley that the matter had been "referred to the inspector general for inspection."

Then, at a press conference on September 7, Holder proclaimed his innocence and attacked the congressional investigation. "The notion that somehow or other this reaches into the upper levels of the Justice Department is something that, at this point, is not supported by the facts." Holder added that "it's kind of something that certain members of Congress would like to see."

Holder then noted that he "took very seriously the allegations that were raised and asked the inspector general to conduct an investigation."

President Obama has also noted the internal investigation. In his first known public comments about the scandal on March 22, he told Jorge Ramos of Univision that neither he nor Holder had authorized the operation. Obama then stated, "[S]o what he [Holder]'s done is he's assigned an I.G., an inspector general, to investigate what exactly happened[.]"

At that point, Ramos interrupted and asked, "So who authorized it?" Obama answered that, "[w]ell, we don't have all the facts. That's why the I.G. is in business. To collect the facts."

At a press conference on June 29, Obama was asked by Chilean journalist Antonieta Cadiz about Fast and Furious. "The investigation is still pending. I'm not going to comment on a current investigation...we got to find out how that happened. As soon as the investigation is completed, I think appropriate actions will be taken."

At another press conference on October 6, and just days after the damaging new memos concerning Holder were released, Obama told Jake Tapper of ABC News that he had "complete confidence" in Holder, and that "he [Holder]'s assigned an inspector general to look into exactly how this happened...and I've got complete confidence in the process to figure out who, in fact, was responsible for that decision and how it got made."

And revelations continue to emerge about Fast and Furious. Three members of the White House national security staff, including Kevin O'Reilly, knew about the operation, but it's unclear just how much they knew. Recently released e-mails between ATF Agent William Newell and O'Reilly, however, show a deeper White House knowledge than previously thought.

Newell had e-mailed O'Reilly an arrow chart showing the flow of the "ultimate destination of firearms" which led from Arizona and extended throughout Mexico. Intriguingly, O'Reilly responded, "[D]id last year's Texas effort produce a similar graphic?" This follows reports from earlier this year of weapons being run through Houston ATF.

Twelve high-ranking current and former members of the Justice Department, including Holder's confidant Lanny Breuer, have also been asked for information by the House Oversight Committee.

In March 2010 (and seven months before the recently discovered memo was sent to Holder), Breuer was asked to attend a video conference at ATF headquarters in Washington which focused on Fast and Furious. He sent Justice Department attorney Joseph Cooley instead, and at that meeting Cooley stated that running guns into Mexico was an "acceptable practice."

Just five days later, Breuer authorized wiretaps for the operation, and then later traveled to Mexico to discuss the operation with ATF personnel. Mr. Cooley has refused to comment for this article; Mr. Breuer's office also had no comment.

Last summer, three key members of the Phoenix ATF were reassigned, but they still remain on the payroll. This was also the fate of Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson. In June, numerous reports suggested that Melson would be served up as "the fall guy" by the Justice Department. However, on July 4, and without Holder's permission, he met with congressional investigators.

On July 21, Holder sent a letter to Congressman Issa and Senator Grassley demanding copies of Melson's testimony -- not only for himself, but strangely (and inappropriately) for Ms. Schnedar, who is supposedly independent of Holder.

In September, it was reported that ATF Agent John Dodson (who had serious qualms about the operation) had been ordered to purchase guns -- using taxpayer funds -- and sell weapons directly to suspected cartel members in an effort to "dirty him up."

And days after the incriminating memos involving Mr. Holder were released, B. Todd Jones, the new acting ATF director and friend of Holder since the 1990s, "reassigned" 11 more ATF personnel, adding that people need to "calm down" about the barrage of revelations.

Meanwhile, the horrors keep on growing. Two thousand grenade parts were allowed to cross the border. They could be used to construct at least 500 hand grenades.

In the fall of 2010, Mario Gonzalez, the brother of then-Chihuahua state prosecutor Patricia Gonzalez, was abducted and then eventually killed. A Fast and Furious weapon was allegedly used. Mexico's Attorney General Marisela Morales has still received no response from the Obama administration or any other U.S. official concerning the deadly operation.

In February of this year, U.S. Immigration Agent Jaime Zapata was killed south of the Texas border, and it's suspected that a Fast and Furious weapon was used. And the Los Angeles Times has reported that Fast and Furious weapons were linked to crimes in Mexico where 150 people have either been killed or injured.

The number of known violent crimes in the U.S. connected to the operation keeps increasing. By early September, the count had reached 21, including the killing of Brian Terry.

And in a separate (but strangely similar) program out of Tampa ATF dubbed "Operation Castaway," guns were run to violent gangs in Honduras. This led to a number of violent crimes in Puerto Rico and a homicide in Colombia.

As for Acting Inspector General Cynthia Schnedar, Congressman Issa told Greta Van Susteren of Fox News that Schnedar's action of releasing the tapes had betrayed the investigation. (He also noted that cooperation from the Justice Department was virtually nonexistent.)

In a recently released letter to Schnedar, Issa and Senator Grassley noted that the investigator's actions had "undermined and obstructed" their investigation (the Oversight Committee had also obtained copies of the tapes), and they demanded answers concerning her behavior.

After the first tape was made public by CBS News as a result of Schnedar's actions, her office released a highly dubious explanation: that the U.S. attorney's office in Phoenix needed them for the pending prosecution of drug traffickers.

There are several questions about Ms. Schnedar that beg to be answered.

First, as she well knew, the U.S. attorney's office in Phoenix was also a target of the investigation. Both the U.S. attorney and the assistant U.S. attorney have since left because of the scandal.

Second, should Ms. Schnedar have immediately recused herself from the Fast and Furious investigation because of her long and deep ties to Mr. Holder?

Third, when Ms. Schnedar began her employment as assistant U.S. attorney in Washington in 1994, was it Mr. Holder (then the U.S. attorney) who hired her?

Lastly, Federal Election Commission records show that Schnedar donated to the Democratic National Committee in 2005. Does she now think that was proper?

On a related note: I recently contacted Ms. Schnedar to ask those very questions. She angrily told me to call her office. No answers have been forthcoming from either source, including her spokesman, Jay Lerner.

And Mr. Obama and Mr. Holder are apparently leaving nothing to chance. On July 29, Obama nominated Michael Horowitz (who had previously worked at the Justice Department) to become the full-time inspector general. It turns out that in 2009, when Lanny Breuer was facing confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Horowitz had sent them a personal recommendation on Breuer's behalf.

Finally, the Fast and Furious scandal has now become a large-scale criminal investigation. It has enveloped several agencies, including the Justice Department; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms; the Federal Bureau of Investigation; the Drug Enforcement Administration; the U.S. attorney's office in Arizona; and now even the White House.

The fact that Eric Holder will likely never appoint a special counsel makes it even more imperative that the office of the Justice Department inspector general should be above reproach.

Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 8:16pm
    Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2011 at 6:18pm
    The press release from Becca Watkins --

Issa to Holder: “You Own Fast and Furious”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa today sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder responding to his letter of October 7.
    The text of Chairman Issa’s letter to Attorney General Holder is below:

Dear Attorney General Holder:

From the beginning of the congressional investigation into Operation Fast and Furious, the Department of Justice has offered a roving set of ever-changing explanations to justify its involvement in this reckless and deadly program. These defenses have been aimed at undermining the investigation. From the start, the Department insisted that no wrongdoing had occurred and asked Senator Grassley and me to defer our oversight responsibilities over its concerns about our purported interference with its ongoing criminal investigations. Additionally, the Department steadfastly insisted that gunwalking did not occur.

Once documentary and testimonial evidence strongly contradicted these claims, the Department attempted to limit the fallout from Fast and Furious to the Phoenix Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). When that effort also proved unsuccessful, the Department next argued that Fast and Furious resided only within ATF itself, before eventually also assigning blame to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona. All of these efforts were designed to circle the wagons around DOJ and its political appointees.

To that end, just last month, you claimed that Fast and Furious did not reach the upper levels of the Justice Department. Documents discovered through the course of the investigation, however, have proved each and every one of these claims advanced by the Department to be untrue. It appears your latest defense has reached a new low. Incredibly, in your letter from Friday you now claim that you were unaware of Fast and Furious because your staff failed to inform you of information contained in memos that were specifically addressed to you. At best, this indicates negligence and incompetence in your duties as Attorney General. At worst, it places your credibility into serious doubt.

Following the Committee’s issuance of a subpoena over six months ago, I strongly believed that the Department would fully cooperate with Congress and support this investigation with all the means at its disposal. The American people deserve no less. Unfortunately, the Department’s cooperation to date has been minimal. Hundreds of pages of documents that have been produced to my Committee are duplicative, and hundreds more contain substantial redactions, rendering them virtually worthless. The Department has actively engaged in retaliation against multiple whistleblowers, and has, on numerous occasions, attempted to disseminate false and misleading information to the press in an attempt to discredit this investigation.

Your letter dated October 7 is deeply disappointing. Instead of pledging all necessary resources to assist the congressional investigation in discovering the truth behind the fundamentally flawed Operation Fast and Furious, your letter instead did little but obfuscate, shift blame, berate, and attempt to change the topic away from the Department’s responsibility in the creation, implementation, and authorization of this reckless program. You claim that, after months of silence, you “must now address these issues” over Fast and Furious because of the harmful discourse of the past few days. Yet, the only major development of these past few days has been the release of multiple documents showing that you and your senior staff had been briefed, on numerous occasions, about Fast and Furious.

The Mexican Cartels

A month after you became Attorney General, you spoke of the danger of the Mexican drug cartels, and the Sinaloa cartel in particular. The cartels, you said, “are lucrative, they are violent, and they are operated with stunning planning and precision.” You promised that under your leadership “these cartels will be destroyed.” You vowed that the Department of Justice would “continue to work with [its] counterparts in Mexico, through information sharing, training and mutual cooperation to jointly fight these cartels, both in Mexico and the United States.”

Under your leadership, however, Operation Fast and Furious has proven these promises hollow. According to one agent, Operation Fast and Furious “armed the cartel. It is disgusting.” Fast and Furious simply served as a convenient means for dangerous cartels to acquire upwards of 2,000 assault-style weapons. On top of that, the Government of Mexico was not informed about Fast and Furious. In fact, DOJ and ATF officials actively engaged in hiding information about Fast and Furious from not only Mexican officials, but also U.S. law enforcement officials operating in Mexico for fear that they would inform their Mexican counterparts. This strategy is inapposite and contradicts the promises you made to the American people.

Your September 7, 2011 Statement

On September 7, 2011, you said that “[t]he notion that [Fast and Furious] reaches into the upper levels of the Justice Department is something that at this point I don't think is supported by the facts and I think once we examine it and once the facts are revealed we'll see that's not the case.” Unfortunately, the facts directly contradict this statement.

Lanny Breuer, the Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division, clearly a member of the Department’s senior leadership, knew about Fast and Furious as early as March 2010. In fact, I have learned that the amount of detail shared with Breuer’s top deputies about Fast and Furious is simply astounding.

For example, Manuel Celis-Acosta was the “biggest fish” of the straw purchasing ring in Phoenix. From the time the investigation started in September 2009 until March 15, 2010, Manuel Celis-Acosta acquired at least 852 firearms valued at around $500,000 through straw purchasers. Yet in 2009, Celis-Acosta reported an Arizona taxable income of only $15,475. Between September 2009 and late January 2010, 139 of these firearms were recovered, 81 in Mexico alone. Some of these firearms were recovered less than 24 hours after they were bought.

This information, and hundreds of pages worth of additional information, was included in highly detailed wiretap applications sent for authorization to Breuer’s top deputies. It is my understanding, the Department applied to the United States District Court for the District of Arizona for numerous wire taps from March 2010 to July 2010. These wire tap applications were reviewed and approved by several Deputy Assistant Attorney Generals, including Kenneth A. Blanco, John C. Keeney, and Jason M. Weinstein. Breuer’s top deputies approved these wiretap applications to be used against individuals associated with the known drug cartels. As I understand it, the wire tap applications contain rich detail of the reckless operational tactics being employed by your agents in Phoenix. Although Breuer and his top deputies were informed of the operational details and tactics of Fast and Furious, they did nothing to stop the program. In fact, on a trip to Mexico Breuer trumpeted Fast and Furious as a promising investigation.

Gary Grindler, the then-Deputy Attorney General and currently your Chief of Staff, received an extremely detailed briefing on Operation Fast and Furious on March 12, 2010. In this briefing, Grindler learned such minutiae as the number of times that Uriel Patino, a straw purchaser on food stamps who ultimately acquired 720 firearms, went in to a cooperating gun store and the amount of guns that he had bought. When former Acting ATF Director Ken Melson, a career federal prosecutor, learned similar information, he became sick to his stomach:

I had pulled out all Patino's -- and ROIs is, I'm sorry, report of investigation -- and you know, my stomach being in knots reading the number of times he went in and the amount of guns that he bought. Transcribed interview of Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson at 42.

At the time of his briefing in March of last year, Grindler knew that Patino had purchased 313 weapons and paid for all of them in cash. Unlike Melson, Grindler clearly saw nothing wrong with this. If Grindler had had the sense to shut this investigation down right then, he could have prevented the purchase of an additional 407 weapons by Patino alone. Instead, Grindler did nothing to stop the program.

Following this briefing, it is clear that Grindler did one of two things. Either, he alerted you to the name and operational details of Fast and Furious, in which case your May 3, 2011 testimony in front of Congress was false; or, he failed to inform you of the name and the operational details of Fast and Furious, in which case Grindler engaged in gross dereliction of his duties as Acting Deputy Attorney General. It is fair to infer from the fact that Grindler remains as your Chief of Staff that he did not engage in gross dereliction of his duties and told you about the program as far back as March of 2010.

In the summer of 2010, at the latest, you were undoubtedly informed about Fast and Furious. On at least five occasions you were told of the connection between Fast and Furious and a specific Mexican cartel – the very cartel that you had vowed to destroy. You were informed that Manuel Celis-Acosta and his straw purchasers were responsible for the purchase of 1,500 firearms that were then supplied to Mexican drug trafficking cartels. Yet, you did nothing to stop this program.

You failed to own up to your responsibility to safeguard the American public by hiding behind “[a]ttorneys in [your] office and the Office of the Deputy Attorney General,” who you now claim did not bring this information to your attention. Holder Letter, supra note 1. As a result of your failure to act on these memos sent to you, nearly 500 additional firearms were purchased under Fast and Furious.

The facts simply do not support any claim that Fast and Furious did not reach the highest levels of the Justice Department. Actually, Fast and Furious did reach the ultimate authority in the Department – you.

Your May 3, 2011 Statement

On May 3, 2011, I asked you directly when you first knew about the operation known as Fast and Furious. You responded directly, and to the point, that you weren’t “sure of the exact date, but [you] probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks.” This statement, made before Congress, has proven to be patently untrue. Documents released by the Department just last week showed that you received at least seven memos about Fast and Furious starting as early as July 2010.

In your letter Friday, you blamed your staff for failing to inform you about Operation Fast and Furious when they reviewed the memos sent to you last summer. Your staff, therefore, was certainly aware of Fast and Furious over a year ago. Lanny Breuer was aware of Fast and Furious as early as March 2010, and Gary Grindler was also aware of Fast and Furious as early as March 2010. Given this frequency of high level involvement with Fast and Furious as much as a year prior to your May 3, 2011 testimony, it simply is not believable that you were not briefed on Fast and Furious until a few weeks before your testimony. At the very least, you should have known about Fast and Furious well before then. The current paper trail, which will only grow more robust as additional documents are discovered, creates the strong perception that your statement in front of Congress was less than truthful.

The February 4, 2011 Letter

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of this intransigence is that the Department of Justice has been lying to Congress ever since the inquiry into Fast and Furious began. On February 4, 2011, Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote that “ATF makes every effort to interdict weapons that have been purchased illegally and prevent their transport into Mexico.” This letter, vetted by both the senior ranks of ATF as well as the Office of the Deputy Attorney General, is a flat-out lie.

As we understand it, in March 2010, top deputies to Lanny Breuer were informed that law enforcement officers intercepted calls that demonstrated that Manuel Celis-Acosta was conspiring to purchase and transport firearms for the purpose of trafficking the firearms from the United States into Mexico. Not only was ATF aware of this information, but so was the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This information was shared with the Criminal Division. All of these organizations are components of the Department of Justice, and they were all aware of the illegal purchase of firearms and their eventual transportation into Mexico.

These firearms were not interdicted. They were not stopped. Your agents allowed these firearms purchases to continue, sometimes even monitoring them in person, and within days some of these weapons were being recovered in Mexico. Despite widespread knowledge within its senior ranks that this practice was occurring, when asked on numerous occasions about the veracity of this letter, the Department has shockingly continued to stand by its false statement of February 4, 2011.

Mr. Attorney General, you have made numerous statements about Fast and Furious that have eventually been proven to be untrue. Your lack of trustworthiness while speaking about Fast and Furious has called into question your overall credibility as Attorney General. The time for deflecting blame and obstructing our investigation is over. The time has come for you to come clean to the American public about what you knew about Fast and Furious, when you knew it, and who is going to be held accountable for failing to shut down a program that has already had deadly consequences, and will likely cause more casualties for years to come.

Operation Fast and Furious was the Department’s most significant gun trafficking case. It related to two of your major initiatives – destroying the Mexican cartels and reducing gun violence on both sides of the border. On your watch, it went spectacularly wrong. Whether you realize yet or not, you own Fast and Furious. It is your responsibility.

Sincerely,
    Darrell Issa
    Chairman
    Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 8:16pm
    October 14, 2011 8:19 AM

"Grenade-walking" part of "Gunwalker" scandal

Again ATF looks the other way?  WHY???

(CBS News)

There's a new twist in the government's "gunwalking" scandal involving an even more dangerous weapon: grenades.

"Gunwalking" subpoena for AG Holder imminent

CBS News investigative correspondent Sharyl Attkisson, who has reported on this story from the beginning, said on "The Early Show" that the investigation into the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)'s so-called "Fast and Furious" operation branches out to a case involving grenades. Sources tell her a suspect was left to traffic and manufacture them for Mexican drug cartels.

Police say Jean Baptiste Kingery, a U.S. citizen, was a veritable grenade machine. He's accused of smuggling parts for as many as 2,000 grenades into Mexico for killer drug cartels -- sometimes under the direct watch of U.S. law enforcement.

For more on this investigation, visit CBS Investigates.

Law enforcement sources say Kingery could have been prosecuted in the U.S. twice for violating export control laws, but that, each time, prosecutors in Arizona refused to make a case.

Grenades are weapons-of-choice for the cartels. An attack on Aug. 25 in a Monterrey, Mexico casino killed 53 people.

Sources tell CBS News that, in January 2010, ATF had Kingery under surveillance after he bought about 50 grenade bodies and headed to Mexico. But they say prosecutors wouldn't agree to make a case. So, as ATF agents looked on, Kingery and the grenade parts crossed the border -- and simply disappeared.

Six months later, Kingery allegedly got caught leaving the U.S. for Mexico with 114 disassembled grenades in a tire. One ATF agent told investigators he literally begged prosecutors to keep Kingery in custody this time, fearing he was supplying narco-terrorists, but was again ordered to let Kingery go.

The prosecutors -- already the target of controversy for overseeing "Fast and Furious," wouldn't comment on the grenades case. U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke recently resigned and his assistant, Emory Hurley, has been transferred. Sources say Hurley is the one who let Kingery go, saying grenade parts are "novelty items" and the case "lacked jury appeal."

Attkisson added on "The Early Show" that, in August, Mexican authorities raided Kingery's stash house and factory, finding materials for 1,000 grenades. He was charged with trafficking and allegedly admitted not only to making grenades, but also to teaching cartels how to make them, as well as helping cartel members convert semi-automatic rifles to fully-automatic. As one source put it: There's no telling how much damage Kingery did in the year-and-a-half since he was first let go. The Justice Department inspector general is now investigating this, along with "Fast and Furious."

-----------------------------

Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 8:36pm
    (374 comments)

CNN's John King plays Holder's testimony to Congress on MAY 3, 2011, where he said he had only just recently heard about the Fast & Furious gunrunning program. "I'm not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks," Attorney General Eric Holder said.

Then CNN compares Holder's testimony to what President Obama said in MARCH to CNN Espanol about the operation. "I heard on the news about this story that -- Fast and Furious, where allegedly guns were being run into Mexico, and ATF knew about it, but didn't apprehend those who had sent it." Transcript of the segment that aired on "John King USA" below:

KING: Well, Congressman Cummings, let's get to one of the questions here. Let's first listen to the attorney general. He came before this committee back in May. Here's what he said.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ISSA: When did you first know about the program officially I believe called Fast and Furious? To the best of your knowledge, what date?

ERIC HOLDER, U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL: I'm not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: He says over the last few weeks.

That is on May 3, 2011. Listen to this interview the president of the United States, not the attorney general, the president of the United States, had with CNN Espanol back in March.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: There have been problems, you know. I heard on the news about this story that -- Fast and Furious, where allegedly guns were being run into Mexico, and ATF knew about it, but didn't apprehend those who had sent it.

Eric Holder has -- the attorney general has been very clear that he knew nothing about this. We had assigned an I.G., inspector general, to investigate it. (END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: It begs the question, how did the president know about this in March, and how did the president know the attorney general knew nothing about this in march, when the attorney general says in May he just learned about it a couple weeks ago?
    Swish
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2011 at 7:23am
    Quietone, here in America you can walk into any gunstore and buy grenades, rocket launchers, anti aircraft missiles, and launcher grenades, with launchers.

Did you grow up under a rock? Wink

I'm still at a complete and utter loss as to how they're trying to claim that full auto M16's and AK47's which are in the hands of narco-terrorists somehow came from Americans.

Zer0's gotta find a way to ban guns somehow.

Now we know why he told Sarah Brady that they've got something going on "Under the Radar..."

The scumbag should be impeached...

Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 7:43pm

Yeah... The Most Transparent Administration EVER!!

http://dailycaller.com/2011/10/24/justice-dept-proposes-lying-hiding-existence-of-records-under-new-foia-rule/   Click for Article

Call, email and write your Congresscritters NOW. If they adopt this rule, they must be defunded. See how they like going without paychecks. Frigging secret policemen. I despise their kind.
    Swish
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 4:39pm
    False Flag Operation on the Second Amendment fail!

New documents reveal 'Fast and Furious' cover-up
    us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=0c63abc741fff5c4813d80e0a&id=48ee89d33c&e=8b6f594bd3
    Joe Neubarth View Drop Down
    Expert Level Adviser
    Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Neubarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 8:34am
    Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Quietone, here in America you can walk into any gunstore and buy grenades, rocket launchers, anti aircraft missiles, and launcher grenades, with launchers.

Did you grow up under a rock? Wink

I'm still at a complete and utter loss as to how they're trying to claim that full auto M16's and AK47's which are in the hands of narco-terrorists somehow came from Americans.

Zer0's gotta find a way to ban guns somehow.

Now we know why he told Sarah Brady that they've got something going on "Under the Radar..."

The scumbag should be impeached...

The only solution is to totally ban guns of any sort in this country except for members of the state militias as stipulated in the Constitution.  Those authorized to have possession of guns would be screened by the state militias for mental stability before they would be issued a permit to purchase their own firearms that would be used in national defense should the militia be called up. 

Anybody else caught with a gun should be sent to a hard labor camp like they have in Communist China for reeducation.  In fact, we probably could subcontract out that job to the Chinese.  I believe all of the people who signed off on the Gun Runner ATF Fast and Furious Program should be sent to those Chinese run labor camps as well and serve a year for each gun that was placed in criminal hands.

I suppose the Conservatives will probably find fault with this and will promise a "gun in every pot" to keep foolish people voting conservative.
    Total truth at all times. Why do people have problems with the truth?
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 9:55am
    I suppose the Conservatives will probably find fault with this and will promise a "gun in every pot" to keep foolish people voting conservative.

I feel sorry for all those poor saps that stormed the beaches of Normandy and countless beaches in the Pacific, because it appears it was all for not! Tell a veteran from WW2 that the Second Amendment only applies to State Militias, and you'd probably get slapped upside the head!
    Expert Level Adviser
    Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Neubarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 10:44am
    MOUSE, I am a veteran of the Viet Nam War and feel that sarcasm has its place.  I always use a little sarcasm when somebody is being a little bit too extreme in his pontifications as I have witnessed Turbo do on this forum.

Just in case you wonder, though, the Constitution does specify that the right to bear arms is specifically tied to the rights of states to have a militia at the ready.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1408731058462&id=7c03410a11887fef2deeb533b3278eed
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 9:01pm
    On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller, the United States Supreme Court issued its first decision since 1939 interpreting the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense. It also ruled that two District of Columbia provisions, one that banned handguns and one that required lawful firearms in the home to be disassembled or trigger-locked, violate this right.

www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php
    Expert Level Adviser
    Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Neubarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 8:00am
    Originally posted by mrmouse mrmouse wrote:

On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller, the United States Supreme Court issued its first decision since 1939 interpreting the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense. It also ruled that two District of Columbia provisions, one that banned handguns and one that required lawful firearms in the home to be disassembled or trigger-locked, violate this right.

www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php

There have been many such decisions and judgments, almost all in favor of private citizens rights to keep weapons.
    Expert Level Adviser
    Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Neubarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 8:12am
    The Federal Government has many restrictions on firearms.  States and Cities are perfectly free to put more restrictions on firearms and many do, such as New York. As best I can tell, no state or city can ban firearms outright without being in violation of the Federal Constitution. 

Thus, if we wanted to take firearms out of the hands of criminals, lunatics and hotheads there would have to be a Federal Constitutional amendment that would specifically amend the constitution to specify what constituted membership in a state militia. 
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2011 at 9:54pm
    Originally posted by Joe Neubarth Joe Neubarth wrote:

MOUSE, I am a veteran of the Viet Nam War and feel that sarcasm has its place.  I always use a little sarcasm when somebody is being a little bit too extreme in his pontifications as I have witnessed Turbo do on this forum.

Just in case you wonder, though, the Constitution does specify that the right to bear arms is specifically tied to the rights of states to have a militia at the ready.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1408731058462&id=7c03410a11887fef2deeb533b3278eed

ROFL, Joe, really? My calling for the removal of office if someone that has been caught, not just kind of at fault, but totally red handed in a false flag incident, is an extreme pontification?

Did you actually just say that or was that more sarcasm?

And as for your silly last sentence, re-read the Constitution for clarification. Pay specific attention to the part where it says "The People." Also peruse the Federalist Papers, if you haven't already done so.
    Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2011 at 10:17pm

The Federal Government has many restrictions on firearms.  States and Cities are perfectly free to put more restrictions on firearms and many do, such as New York. As best I can tell, no state or city can ban firearms outright without being in violation of the Federal Constitution.

LOL! Though that's no reason they haven't tried about a thousand and one ways to do just that. How many lawsuits are pending now specifically for attempting just that? (Outright banning) Washington DC just had their law struck down. They did their best to circumvent that case law, and now they're getting sued again, which they are widely expected to lose.

Chicago just got sued, prompting other Illinois cities to preemptively strike their patently unconstitutional laws down as well. Kalifornistan is next.

While even they did not have an "Outright ban" they did make it so much of a hassle that they might as well have had them banned. Hence why they lost big.

Thus, if we wanted to take firearms out of the hands of criminals, lunatics and hotheads there would have to be a Federal Constitutional amendment that would specifically amend the constitution to specify what constituted membership in a state militia. 

Eh??? Uninformed liberal is uninformed. Your service in Vietnam aside, you must not own, used, or have bought a firearm since your discharge.

Seriously, do you just spout schit or are you trying to repeat a lie so often it becomes truth?

I shouldn't have to give you reading assignments considering you are who you are...

Lautenberg Amendment - Specifically prohibits those convicted of some misdemeanors of owning or possessing firearms. Hotheads?

ATF form 4473
    http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Felons are already prohibited possessors as are those deemed mentally unstable.

Did I cover your bases?
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 3:46pm
    Emails show how fast and furious ambush news unfolded at Justice Department

Email from aide appears to demonstrate Holder perjury

“Emails Show How 'Fast and Furious' Ambush News Unfolded At Justice Dept.,” NPR reports tonight.

For the first time, the Justice Department has made public a series of sensitive messages that passed to the highest levels of the agency within hours of an ambush that killed a U.S. border patrol agent…The email messages show the former top federal prosecutor in Arizona, Dennis Burke, notifying an aide to Holder via email on Dec. 15, 2010 that agent Brian Terry had been wounded and died. "Tragic," responds the aide, Monty Wilkinson. "I've alerted the AG, the acting Deputy Attorney General..."

This correspondent was on the phone with Mike Vanderboegh of Sipsey Street Irregulars a few hours ago this evening, shortly before the NPR release. From Vanderboegh’s assessment:

White House dumps 500 plus pages of documents tonight…NPR was apparently the preferred outlet for the dump…Holder is screwed. Of course the only reason they're doing this is to further the modified limited hangout, which now apparently includes Eric Holder. Remember, these are the emails that the WH WANTED to release. What does that tell us? That they're protecting the White House and are willing to dispose of Holder to do it.

Click here for the emails posted by NPR. Of interest:

The emails are heavily redacted shielding not just information, but the identities of certain senders and recipients. Stipulating a possibly legitimate need to withhold facts pertaining to ongoing criminal investigations, the question of why the names of key individuals, including those in the US Attorney’s office are also withheld must be explored.

Also, any discussion of “controlled deliveries” and coordination with Mexican officials does not occur in the disclosed communications threads until February 4, 2011—Gun Rights Examiner’s “Journalists’ Guide to Project Gunwalker” chronicles reporting and revelations made in this column and on Sipsey Street Irregulars prior to that action—reporters and interested individuals should consult that document to see for themselves how much of this story was already documented by that time, including revelations made on Jan. 6 in this column that the Mexican government had been intentionally left uninformed up until ATF and DOJ officials decided it was in their interests almost a month later to contact them.

Of particular interest from the Dec. 15, 2010 email from Holder aide Monty Wilkinson to then-US Attorney Dennis Burke:

I’ve alerted the AG…

When did Holder say he first became aware of it?

HOLDER: I’m not sure of the exact date but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks.

That was on May 3, 2011 (see sidebar video player).

Does the email from Wilkinson indicate the Attorney General committed perjury in his testimony before the committee?

The questions this raises include whether this latest document dump throws Holder under the bus to protect the White House, as Vanderboegh concludes.

Will Chairman Darrell Issa of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform now demand documentation on all communications between the White House and the Department of Justice regarding the selection of documents to be released to his committee?

And will he press the Attorney General on this key revelation made by Wilkinson and other information gleaned from this latest release?

And, as an aside, is it any wonder that the White House said about questions raised in the Tuesday GRE column "This submission has been removed because people believe it is inappropriate"?

Also see:

• A Journalist’s Guide to ‘Project Gunwalker' (most current volume) for a complete list with links of independent investigative reporting and commentary done to date by Sipsey Street Irregulars and Gun Rights Examiner. Note to newcomers to this story: “Project Gunrunner” is the name ATF assigned to its Southwest Border Initiative to interdict gun smuggling to Mexico. “Project Gunwalker” is the name I assigned to the scandal after allegations by agents that monitored guns were allowed to fall into criminal hands on both sides of the border through a surveillance process termed “walking” surfaced.
    F&F illustrates perfectly why it is important for Americans to be armed. It proves the wisdom of our founders who, although they lived 250 years ago, knew the evils of rulers far better than most alive today. When they crafted our constitution they had a legacy of thousands of years of tyranny in their DNA which was why they carved in granite the 2nd amendment.

Any government that would knowingly arm violent Mexican drug cartels so as to cause the deaths of innocent citizens in both countries which, they hoped, would panic us into surrendering our constitutional rights, is a government to be feared. If it will risk the lives of its own agents, what would it do to us once we were disarmed?

That its highest officers refuse to testify also proves their motives for this fiasco were indeed so nefarious that even ardent Obama lovers on the left might, just might, grasp the sinister truth of what they were trying to do. ~ Comment~
    --------------
    The 2nd Amendment is what enables us to maintain our 1st amendment rights.
    --------------

It's been 1 year since Grassley's letter to Ken Melson, meanwhile Cynthia Schnedar ( OIG ) is still wondering what to write in her report. Burke, who leaked info trying to torpedo the whistle blower, resigned last Aug. but is still protected by his lawyer and the DOJ. Cunningham takes the fifth. Morrissey and Hurley aren't talking. Holder won't fire anyone because they'll snitch. Napolitano, who arrived on the scene of Brian Terry's murder, claimed to know nothing of the traced AK's to Fast and Furious even though she had met with the FBI and the Arizona US Attorneys. More documents please. ~ Comment ~
    January 28, 2012

Another Friday, Another Friday DoJ Document Dump

M Catharine Evans
    If the White House orders the Department of Justice to dump another 500 pages of Fast and Furious documents on a Friday evening, will they make a sound if only a few alternative journalists are around? Yes.

Mike Vanderboegh at Sipsey Street Irregulars and David Codrea of the Washington Examiner reported the NPR (surprise, surprise) story late last evening. A "series of sensitive emails" inside the dump leave no doubt Attorney General Eric Holder knew about Fast and Furious long before he said he knew.

The email messages show the former top federal prosecutor in Arizona, Dennis Burke, notifying an aide to Holder via email on Dec. 15, 2010 that agent Brian Terry had been wounded and died. "Tragic," responds the aide, Monty Wilkinson. "I've alerted the AG, the acting Deputy Attorney General..."

Only a few minutes later, Wilkinson emailed again, saying, "Please provide any additional details as they become available to you."

Burke then delivered another piece of bad news: "The guns found in the desert near the murder [sic] ... officer connect back to the investigation we were going to talk about -- they were AK-47s purchased at a Phoenix gun store."

Is it a scandal yet? Can we assume from the scads of circumstantial evidence gathered over the past year that major leaders in the Obama administration were in on the whole thing?

We don't know yet, except heavily redacted pages in the doc dump related to a meeting with Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer on February 4, 2011 are followed by the suggestion to have a "High Level meeting in the Spring to address the arms trafficking issue. (Please note that the idea of holding a high level meeting came up during Secretary Clinton's visit to Mexico last week)." Wouldn't the Secretary of State have to sign off on shipping arms to cartels?

Other big names include Janet Napolitano who flew down in a Blackhawk helicopter to Rio Rico to take a first-hand look at the crime scene. What about Rahm Emanuel? What part did he play in this anti-gun program's development?

Of course, the president should have known what was going on in his administration, right?

The release of these emails comes five days before AG Eric Holder will testify before Issa's House Oversight Committee.

Read more M. Catharine Evans at Potter Williams Report

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/01/another_friday_another_friday_doj_document_dump.html#ixzz1knUWazKW

Saturday, January 28, 2012

MASS AMNESIA STRIKES JUSTICE DEPARTMENT! Outbreak of weaponized Alzheimer's? Can they remember their way to the rest room?

"I can't remember my way to the john! What's my name? Why am I here? Did I forget to zip my fly? What's a fly?"
    The Associated Press reports an outbreak of mass amnesia at the Justice Department!
    In a letter to the committee, the Justice Department said that Wilkinson DOES NOT RECALL a follow-up call with Burke and that Wilkinson DOES NOT RECALL discussing this aspect of the matter with the attorney general. According to the letter, the department has been advised that Burke HAS NO RECOLLECTION of discussing this aspect of the matter with Wilkinson. (Emphases supplied, MBV.)
    Can this be evidence of a new terror weapon involving weaponized Alzheimer's? Has someone subjected Justice to an attack of BZ gas? Can they remember their way to the restroom?
    Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 8:12pm
    February 22, 2012 5:29 PM

Second gun used in ICE agent murder linked to ATF undercover operation

By
    Sharyl Attkisson

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Special Agent Jaime Zapata was shot and killed in the line of duty Feb. 15 2011 after he was attacked by unknown assailants while driving between Monterrey, Mexico, and Mexico City. One year later, his family still lacks answers about his death.

(Credit: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement)

Prosecutors recently sentenced a Texas man, Manuel Barba, for trafficking a weapon connected to the murder of Immigration and Customs (ICE) Agent Jaime Zapata. Nobody was more astonished to learn of the case than Zapata's parents, who didn't know that Barba had been arrested or linked to their son's murder.

"The family was obviously surprised to learn that there was a case involving a weapon linked to the Zapata incident," attorney Trey Martinez told CBS News. Martinez represents Zapata's parents and the surviving ICE agent in the assault, Victor Avila. "They were surprised they had never been contacted in the capacity as victims so they could give a response or some kind of reaction at the time of sentencing."

Barba was sentenced to 100 months in prison on January 30th. When we asked why the Zapatas weren't contacted, prosecutors in Houston told CBS News they only handled the weapons charges: conspiracy, false statements and exportation/receipt of firearms. Zapata's actual murder "is being handled by another U.S. Attorney's office and ... is separate and apart from the firearms case that was handled by our district," said a spokeswoman. She added the firearms offenses "are crimes that do not involve victims in the legal sense of the word and therefore, notifications are not part of the legal process."

Read Barba's plea agreement (PDF)

In a related development, CBS News has obtained documents showing that Barba was under ATF surveillance for at least six months before a rifle he trafficked was used in Zapata's murder. Zapata's government vehicle was ambushed by suspected cartel thugs in Mexico Feb. 15, 2011.

Documents indicate ATF opened its case against Barba, entitled "Baytown Crew," in June of 2010. During the investigation, court records state Barba recruited straw purchasers and "facilitated the purchase and exportation of at least 44 firearms" including assault rifles. On August 20, 2010 Barba took delivery of the WASR-10 semi-automatic rifle later used in Zapata's murder, obliterated its serial number, and sent it to Mexico with nine others just like it. Nearly two months later, on Oct. 8, 2010, ATF agents recorded a phone call in which Barba "spoke about the final disposition of ... firearms to Mexico and also about the obliterating of the serial numbers before they were trafficked." Barba told straw purchasers the guns were destined for the Zeta drug cartel.

A warrant wasn't issued for Barba's arrest until four months later; coincidentally, the day before a rifle he trafficked was used against Zapata.

Barba is now the second weapons trafficker who had been under ATF surveillance to be linked to Zapata's murder. As CBS News previously reported, ATF had also been watching suspect Otilio Osorio during the time he trafficked a different weapon used in Zapata's assault. Records show ATF watched on Nov. 9, 2010 as Osorio, his brother Ranferi and Kelvin Leon Morrison transferred a cache of illegal weapons to a confidential informant but failed to arrest the men at the time.

The government has kept a close hold on nearly all information surrounding Zapata's murder, denying the family's Freedom of Information requests on the basis of an ongoing investigation. The Zapata's attorney says they will keep pursuing the information by "whatever means necessary."

• Sharyl Attkisson

Sharyl Attkisson is a CBS News investigative correspondent based in Washington.

• Comments:

• Anonymous said...

"Firearms crimes" are victimless crimes, interesting point of view. I doubt it spins that way when they want it to...

February 22, 2012 6:47 PM
      Anonymous said...

Never trust a FED.

Ask the Apache's they know it all to well.

Then to the FED's were gun running as far back as the indian wars.

February 22, 2012 7:38 PM
      Anonymous said...

"Barba is now the second weapons trafficker who had been under ATF surveillance to be linked to Zapata's murder. As CBS News previously reported, ATF had also been watching suspect Otilio Osorio during the time he trafficked a different weapon used in Zapata's assault."

To the casual observer, it would seem like the ATF was either steering an assassination attempt or completely indifferent as to its occurrence.

MALTHUS

February 23, 2012 3:50 AM
      Anonymous said...

Geeee.....

I'm sure that every thing's just a bunch of coincidences and unfortunate happenstances...

Just like the last time and the time before that...

February 23, 2012 4:58 AM
      Anonymous said...

I keep hoping but am afraid the fix is in and always has been. Issa/Grassley are part of the problem, the cartels have more honor.

February 23, 2012 5:41 AM

The omelet just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and the eggs don't matter.

February 23, 2012 8:19 AM

Swish
    quietone View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 8:06pm

Fast and Furious: Grenade walking revisited

"All the usual safeguards of law enforcement were thrown out."
    by John Hayward
    04/25/2012

The Obama Administration’s deadly Operation Fast and Furious is commonly described as a “gun running” scandal, but that’s not entirely accurate. For one thing, the purpose of the operation was not to bust gun runners. The idea was to get American guns into Mexico, then trace them back to cartel kingpins after they turned up at murder scenes… which happened over 300 times.

For another thing, they didn’t just “walk” guns into Mexico. There were hand grenades, too.

The Justice Department has been slowly complying with Congressional subpoenas, under the watchful eye of CBS reporter Sharyl Attkisson, who has been on a fairly lonely journalistic quest to explore the most remarkably under-reported scandal in recent history. The latest pile of documents pertains to the case of arms dealer Jean Baptise Kingery, who had a sweet tooth for pineapples – the kind cartel killers love to throw at unsuspecting victims after pulling the pins:

ATF started watching Kingery in "2004 related to AK47 purchases," according to an internal email, "it is believed that he is trafficking them to Mexico." A full five years later in late 2009, ATF also learned Kingery was dealing in grenades: he'd ordered 120 grenade bodies on the Internet.

Grenades are weapons of choice for Mexico's killer drug cartels. An attack on a casino in Mexico last year killed 53 people.

Documents show ATF secretly intercepted the grenade bodies Kingery had ordered, marked them, and delivered them to him on Jan. 26, 2010. Their plan was to follow Kingery to his weapons factory in Mexico, with help from Mexican authorities Immigration and Customs (ICE).

(Emphasis mine.) Sounds like a brilliant plan! What could go wrong?

ATF realized they might lose track of Kingery and the grenade parts in Mexico. But their emails show little attention to those who could be killed. Instead, officials expressed concerned with tying the grenades to Kingery after they reached Mexico. "Even in a post blast, as long as the safety lever is recovered we will be able to identify these tagged grenades," says one email.

An official now investigating ATF and the Justice Department for their actions in the Kingery case tells CBS News: "All the usual safeguards of law enforcement were thrown out. They were more worried about making a big case than they were about the public safety."

In a pattern familiar to students of Fast and Furious, the plan drew internal objections from ATF agents in the field, but the brass insisted on forging ahead. Kingery vanished into Mexico with his grenades, but reappeared four months later, caught by the Border Patrol on his way into Mexico with a new load of grenade parts, plus 2,000 rounds of ammunition, hidden in a spare tire:

And the ATF let him go again. He kept delivering American hardware to the Sinaloa cartel for another year and a half, and being a full-service sort of death merchant, he also offered classes in grenade assembly and fully-automatic weapons conversion. The Mexican police finally caught him in Mazatlan with enough materials to build a thousand grenades.

The most intriguing element of this story is the involvement of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. An ATF official in Mexico objected in writing to the Kingery “grenade walking” plan by saying, “We are forbidden from doing that type of activity. If ICE is telling you they can do that, they are full of BLEEP.”

ICE was also a player in the remarkably similar tale of Manuel Celis-Acosta, a top gun-walking target with a lengthy criminal record, who was nabbed on the Mexican border with a pile of 7.62mm ammo stuffed in his spare tire. He was released by lead “Fast and Furious” ATF agent Hope McAllister, who wrote her number on a $10 bill and asked him to call her with info on cartel gun buyers. Celis-Acosta never made such a call.

David Codrea of the Gun Rights Examiner and Mike Vanderboegh of Sipsey Street Irregulars caught the ICE connection after reviewing a Justice Department report last week:

Another significant piece of information contained in the report, yet so far largely unexplored by major media: The participation in the contact interview with Celis-Acosta by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Special Agent Layne France, a person first called to the attention of Gun Rights Examiner readers following revelation of a February 3, 2011 letter from ATF Agent Gary Styer that supported allegations by whistleblowing Agent John Dodson and refuted since-withdrawn denials of “gunwalking” by Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich.

“[The participation of SA France] provides direct documentary evidence of group participation outside of Justice, in this case Homeland Security,” this correspondent wrote, “and should provide an entirely new avenue to explore in terms of authorizations, reports and memos/communications.”

That’s a pretty big deal, because it’s further evidence that the gun-walking scandal reached far beyond the ATF, or even the Justice Department. If this were all happening in a Republican Administration, Sharryl Attkisson would be fighting off a horde of other reporters, and they’d all be chugging blood-pressure medication.

Swish
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 4:39pm
    C'mon Quietone, get real.

Everyone knows you can walk into any gunshop or gunshow and pick up a case of grenades. I hand them out every Halloween!
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 9:27pm
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 7:19am
    Originally posted by mrmouse mrmouse wrote:

nicedeb.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/best-of-todays-judiciary-hearing-issa-gohmert-gowdy-chaffetz-question-holder-on-fast-and-furious/

I'm astounded that anyone would have the audacity to even attempt to defend that absolute piece of crap Holder.

Especially so when he's being questioned about Justice.
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 12:20pm
    Obama-We're the Most Transparent and Ethical Administration in U.S. History!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWTdTnhebs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In the immortal words of Richard Pryor, "Just keep telling me those old lies of yours to keep me from thinking about the truth!" Hahahaha
    Elver View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 6:00pm
    I can only assume that this thing goes all the way to the top, OBAMA!  You don't use executive priviledge unless you've got something to hide.  This whole operation was going to be used to deny the 2nd Amendment. 
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 7:06pm
    The American People Elected Obama so now they have to live with his
    "transparency", SURE!

Like I keep telling people don't complain...donate money to Romney even if it is only $5.00, put up a yard sign for him, put a bumper sticker on your car for Romney and then send another $5.00 when you can.

Remember how proud the Obama supporters were and put bumper stickers on their cars and signs in their yards and donated $5.00 at a time for him. We need to get off our duffs and do the same for Romney if you don't Obama will win.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
      Share Topic