Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Mutant Swine Flu Is Vaccine Resistant, Severe.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mutant Swine Flu Is Vaccine Resistant, Severe.
    Posted: May 04 2011 at 2:11pm

From CIDRAP, http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/general/news/apr2911newsscan.html

NEWS SCAN: 2009 H1N1 changes, US flu activity, flu vaccine and HCWs, hospital measles outbreak, seafood seized

Apr 29, 2011

Researchers track 2009 H1N1 virus changes
A US Department of Defense (DoD) notice said an emerging 2009 H1N1 flu group from recent outbreaks in Venezuela and Mexico's Chihuahua state bears watching because it has been linked to severe infections and deaths, including some patients who were previously vaccinated. The DoD analyzed recent samples from the area and included the findings in the US Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine's Apr 26 respiratory illness surveillance report. Researchers said they compared the primary Mexican strain with 2009 H1N1 viruses from other regions that are in other flu virus genetic databases. They reported that the Mexican group emerged very late and shows signs that it came from a single 2009 H1N1 strain and appeared briefly in 2010. Testing suggests it is not categorized with the H1N1 subclade that is still dominant in Europe or the Christchurch or Hong Kong subclades that are circulating. The DoD said the Southern Hemisphere's flu season may provide more clues about the emerging Mexican group.

John L,
John L
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 6:24am
Good find John.   

What's your best guess for next fall with this new strain.   Pandemic?

Best,
Albert

jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:04am
     It is great to hear from you, my friend.
     My best guess is not for a full blown pandemic but instead more like the nastiness we had years ago when they blew the vaccine selection and we got stuck with the A-fujian strain, and a lot of vaccinated people still got quite sick.  The new swine strain will partially evade vaccine or prior infection but not totally.  And some without prior vaccine or exposure, will then die.  I could be wrong-sometimes pandemic strains instead return in a much more lethal form.  But this is not my take yet.
     Signs of an exceptionally early and bad flu year are already being seen in Australia.  Now is about the last chance the authorities have to update the vaccine selection for Northern Henisphere production, and they APPEAR TO BE ASLEEP!  Which is of course nothing new.  Best, John L.
John L
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 3:48pm
Good job John keeping your ear to the track on this thing. 

Your response sounds good.  I guess we'll see if this one has any legs soon enough.

Albert 
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 5:43pm
     Mutant Flu Strain Defying Northern Hemisphere Season End.
     From CIDRAP;

May 9, 2011

WHO: Global flu activity pausing between seasons
Influenza activity is back to baseline or preseason levels across temperate parts of the Northern Hemisphere and has not yet started to increase in the temperate Southern Hemisphere, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in its latest flu update. In northern countries, one exception to the downward trend in flu indicators occurred in Mexico, where the proportion of respiratory specimens testing positive for flu increased from 9% to 14%. The increase involved mainly 2009 H1N1 viruses, following a recent outbreak of that strain in Chihuahua state. In Europe, northern China, and Japan, most or all of the few respiratory specimens that tested positive were influenza B. Flu activity also was generally low in tropical regions, though Ghana and Kenya reported ongoing transmission of 2009 H1N1 and type B viruses.

John L
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 7:28pm
Any updates on this?  I find it interesting.  The conpiracty folks believe govt was tainting vaccines but that it would take 2-3 years for the breakout to happen.  Not that I buy into it but it is interesting that it was the strain from that year.  Just sayin!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 7:19pm
     An update from CIDRAP as I continue to track the flu, this time mainly re. the Southern Hemisphere:

FLU NEWS SCAN: Southern Hemisphere flu, vaccine safety and efficacy

Jun 1, 2011

Parts of Australia, Bolivia report increased flu activity
Health officials in Australia and Bolivia, two Southern Hemisphere countries just entering their winter flu season, are reporting an increase in flu detections, according to news and surveillance reports. Australia's health ministry said for the week ending May 13 that overall flu activity is low, though jurisdictions are reporting higher-than-normal numbers of lab-confirmed flu cases for this time of year, especially in the Northern Territory and Queensland. The Australian Medical Association's Queensland office said 1,600 flu infections have been reported so far this year, with 460 reported over the last 5 weeks, the Brisbane Times reported today. The group's president, Dr Gino Pecoraro, said the area is experiencing an unusually early start to the flu season, which he attributed to rainy weather that has kept people indoors where the virus can more easily spread.
Australian flu surveillance update
Jun 1 Brisbane Times story
Elsewhere, Bolivia's health ministry reported an increase in severe respiratory infections along with seven new 2009 H1N1 infections, Xinhua, China's state news agency, reported yesterday. The country's health minister, Nila Heredia, said respiratory infections have increased along with cold weather affecting La Paz, Oruro, Potosi, and Cochabamba provinces. She ordered Bolivia's health centers to take preventive measures to avoid an increase in 2009 H1N1 infections. The Southern Hemisphere's flu season typically runs from May through October.
May 31 Xinhua story

Note:  The Brisbane article link above states that flu is 50% higher in Australia already than last year at this time.  Best to All, John L.
John L
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 11:04am
Good call John, although I know you've made no claims.

Researchers fear mutant flu strain
* Brigid O'Connell * From: Sunday Herald Sun June 26, 2011 12:00AM
MUTANT swine flu strains, resistant to existing treatments, have been detected in Australia by Melbourne researchers, sparking concerns of a new virus threat.

Swine flu has been stable since the 2009 pandemic, in which 24 deaths in the state were linked to the H1N1 virus.

But researchers from the WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza found that 30 per cent of H1N1 samples collected in Darwin and 10 per cent in Singapore, had the mutation S247N. This variant has lower resistance to current drugs, Tamiflu and Relenza.

Deputy director of the WHO Centre and senior author of the study, Dr Ian Barr, said the mutation was worrying.

"We'd prefer our viruses be completely susceptible to all our medications, so, it's always a concern when we see even low-level resistance to them in these viruses," he said.

Dr Barr said treatments generally would work against the new flu strain, but the greatest problem would be treating patients with more than one type of mutated virus.

A sample from a Perth patient who died in March revealed he had the new S247N mutation, but also another variant, H275Y, a combination 6000 times more resistant than the 2009 pandemic strain.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 12:53am
The risk factors of the H1N1 flu and the seasonal flu virus are similar with the exception of the younger people & the obese according to scientists reported in the journal PLoS Medicine.

However, they did say that 40% of the people who died didn't have any pre-existing chronic conditions, so that leaves me wondering if these scientists weren't talking out both sides of their mouths.

One of the symptom's of H1N1 for adults, in addition to the normal flu sumptoms, is vomiting & diarrhea.  I think I had this in January & April of 2009, so I probably have some immunity to it.  I passed out in our bathroom both times due to severe dehydration.  All I can say about it, assuming that is what I had, was that the vomiting was wicked.  If you get this, you'd be better off going to the emergency room rather than a doctor.  (I had a co-worker who was diagnosed with H1N1 & another whose daughter was diagnosed with the H1N1 at the time.)  All 3 of us were sick for 5 full days minimum.  My co-worker didn't return to work for 2 full weeks.  I had a fever for 8 days.

Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 10:27pm
That was lucky - but your luck can run out at any time.

The flu is no joke.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 11:46pm
We had a woman at work that was out for 1 month with H1N1...no flu shot. She almost died.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic