Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

August prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: August prepping
    Posted: August 01 2012 at 3:50pm
So did anyone have any luck with their gardens? I had planted stuff in containers and they just burned up, the heat here has just been terrible, 113 today. It only cools down to the 80's at night.
Our peach tree did great, I had peaches for weeks, just got the end last week. It's been so hot I haven't even wanted to go shopping to stock up on things, it's hot everywhere you go, even the freezer aisle at the grocery store seems hot, lol. It takes forever for the truck to get cool and stay cool in the middle of the day to go anywhere. I have just been doing the bare minimum and lots of swimming in the pool. Going to class at night. We have our cental air in the house and window units and it's still not getting the job done.

So is anyone working on anything this month?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 8:15pm
I am getting tomatoes and squash but our temps have gotten better in Colorado. We are getting some rain also. Hope to be able to dry tomatoes this year.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 10:46am
We have not had had rain in forever, the grass is dry and crunchy under your feet, the wildfires are hard to get put out and we are under a burn ban. We are under a drought again.
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 5:46am
A couple of tomatoe plants in container...burned also. Getting concerned about well drying up. Husband took a better job with less pay (will financially benefit in the long run). So will have to spend much less on preps. Have not had time to dehydrate alot. Hopefully with kids in school I will have a little more time to step up preps for fall. Thinking of freezing some dairy, meat and corn staples as those prices will def jump with the crops not yielding well.
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 10:31am
I have worked harder at keeping a garden this summer than ever before in my 62 years.  We are in a drought here in Arkansas.  Some of July was spent under water restrictions although we are able to water gardens, trees, and vines as needed now.  We have had a lot of days over 100 degrees. 
Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 12:35pm
No garden for me unfortunately, but I'm going through the garage organizing my preps for the first time since we moved into our new place last year. I have things scattered all over the place right now, but hopefully within a few weeks it'll all be in one spot and I can start looking for holes that need filling, preps that need rotating, etc. Still extremely light on water storage, but hoping to get that sorted soon too.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 5:14pm
Dang, I just put together our BOBs and a all the stuff in my basement is now in the BOBs. MY BASEMENT IS CLEAN! Yepeeee! When my son is off to college I will do an inventory of everything, which I have not done in 6 years. My DH health took the important spot starting in 2006, I kept buying but not doing a good inventory. I will have plenty of time this fall.

And now MY BASEMENT IS CLEAN so I can do a really good inventory!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 1:09pm
We finally got rain a couple of days ago with a bad storm, no more since then. I had actually started watering my grass a few days before that because I was tired of hearing the dry crunchy sound. I guess food prices will be going up again with all the drought conditions and the higher prices of gas. I went to enroll my daughter in school and the prices of the school lunches have gone up this year. I have been noticing again prices in the stores are on the rise again for canned goods and things like that. Maybe a good time to stock up again, I've been slacking on the canned goods this last month.
Wicker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 5:44pm
I've been lucky with my garden this year. I have canned tons of tomatoes and green beans. Dried a lot of fresh herbs. And I've been buying meat on sale and canning it. All in all a good month for prepping for me.
Wicker

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 5:34pm
Drying lots of tomatoes, herbs, zuchinni, and peppers this weekend. Lots to keep me busy!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 8:10pm
Filled my dehydrator with tomatoes today. Took me 3 hours to skin, and slice all of them!

Have some of you found that the tomato skins are tough this year? My neighbor says even her cherry tomatoes have very thick skins.

I think it is the very hot and dry weather we had this summer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic