Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Hyperinflation Food For Thought

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hyperinflation Food For Thought
    Posted: October 21 2012 at 10:16pm
Some financial experts are saying that we are headed into hyperinflation.  I do not know if this is true or not and am not about to debate it one way or another.  The subject does warrant some pre-planning, if in your mind only, with regards to how you might handle a $1,500 monthly food budget. 

Depending on the food item in Weimer Germany, prices rose 3 times, 4 times, & up to as much as 7 times.  So, take your current food budget and multiply by one of these numbers and see how much your food bill could rise to.

Cash was in short supply during Weimer's hyperinflation.

Many food items were scarce.

While no one has a crystal ball, many are saying that the Fed's monetary policy is leading us down a hyperinflationary road.  It might be prudent to do a little mental exercise with your budget to determine what exactly you would have to cut back on in order to afford food that costs 4 times what it does now.

I've gone through the budget exercise and have brainstormed all the ways we could cut back and save money in order to have more to spend on higher food prices.  It is a really tough exercise and I could not come close to cutting enough expenses necessary for a four fold rise in food prices.  It is a great benefit to do this exercise just in case so that your ready to do what needs to be done when the time comes.

quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 2:45pm
It is interesting to note that both in the Weimar Republic and recently in Zimbabwe, anyone who had cash tried to spend it as fast as they could because in many cases, prices would double or triple in the space of an hour. The best food hedge against hyper inflation (besides a garden) is to buy as much as you can now and at the outset of any jump in inflation. As preppers, this is not news to us, but if hyper inflation is a great and looming fear for you...buy as much now as you possibly can.
Another recent hyper inflation story that just came to mind was in Iran. The sanctions have caused large devaluation of their currency and anyone who can is buying large amounts of rice now due to dramatic, and sometimes daily, increases in price.
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 2:48pm
By the way...near the end of the hyper inflation in Weimar, people burned bundles of money to stay warm because the money was cheaper to get than firewood.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 10:58pm
Yep hyper inflation is why I am buying all my stuff now instead of waiting. If Obama is elected we are in big trouble. So I am getting now just in case.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 8:42am
I dont think it will matter much who gets elected. We are assured of having a completely divided and absolutely useless house and senate once again. Regardless of who is prez...if those two institutions cant work together, we the people are really in trouble. They will stand and point fingers at each other while our country comes apart at the seams.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 6:11pm
That's the plan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic