Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

The CDC on my doorstep in biosuits?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The CDC on my doorstep in biosuits?
    Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:39am

My 17 year old just wrote a WHOPPER of an essay for his junior college English class. Should I let him hand this in tomorrow morning? It's THIS kind of writing that forced me into yanking him out of school and homeschooling him! :-0

Should I make him go back upstairs and write an essay on how to assemble a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Only my kid would write a process essay on something that could land the CDC on my doorstep :-( This reminds me of that kid who tried to build a nuclear generator in his backyard :-(

Should I write the teacher a note, reasurring him that we do NOT have infected chickens in our garage? I tend to just laugh at my kid, but well...most teachers get pretty freaked out by him :-0 They say "it's the details" :-0 This is his first year I let him back out in public. So far...it's gone pretty well...but here's the first real test :-0

English Comp I

Erik Walker

Process Essay

3/4/06

In response to the threat of bird flu, many countries have been killing massive amounts of chickens. It is possible that in several months time you will not be able to buy any chicken products; however all disasters bring opportunity. A great fortune could be made if someone managed to breed chickens immune to the bird flu.

Getting started would only cost a few thousand dollars. The first thing you need is an airtight enclosure, equipped with an air filtration system that would prevent the virus from escaping. A promising air filtration system is being developed by Fancom and IMV Inc. in an effort to stop the spread of the PRRS virus in pigs. The system is simple enough to be made by anyone with basic mechanical skills, it consists of three filters and a fan between the second and third filter, the first filter is similar to a porch screen, the second is a bag filter, the third is a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter, which blocks particles as small as 0.3 microns in size. And to protect your self you would need a Biohazard suit (available at www.approvedgasmasks.com) and a decontamination shower (available at www.interstateproducts.com). The next thing you would need is chickens, the greater the variety the better. And the final piece is the virus; the only way to get it would be to go somewhere that has the virus and obtain an infected chicken. Taking the chicken back with you is difficult due to the transporting ban on chickens from infected countries; so remove the chickens bones so that it can go through X-ray undetected, then pack it in an airtight cooler and spray it down with something to cover the smell in case they have dogs checking the packages.

Now that all of your equipment and supplies are gathered, all you have to do is throw the infected chicken corpse in with the healthy chickens. Add more chickens as their numbers drop. Keep track of how effective the virus is against which breeds, and replace with strongest breeds as the others die out. It may take a long time, but eventually you will be left with chickens immune to the bird flu. At this point you can sell the eggs yourself for about $100 bucks a dozen, or sell the chickens to some big company for millions.

www.approvedgasmasks.com

www.interstateproducts.com/decontamination_shower.htm

http://nationalhogfarmer.com/mag/farming_battling_prrs_virus /

steve 101 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve 101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:45am

what a brilliant kid.

Treasure him

RotroShaggy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:46am
I don't mean to be glib, KatDoe, but I got a kick out of it.  Especially the part about taking the bones out so it will pass through x-ray! 
RotroShaggy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:51am

LOVE IT!

I would like to point out that research is being done in the area of genetically engineered chickens that are immune to influenza.

Kudos to you son.  I see critical thinking as well as original thought glimmering in his essay.  Rare qualities in the general population let alone in our colleges.

SZ

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:53am

He DOES make me laugh! It's just that people have been getting so freaked out at him since he was in diapers :-( He just has a really odd sense of humor and is intelligent enough to know how to freak people out :-0

Thank God his professor is male! Males tend to tolerate him better than females, in general :-0

Some of his all time past horror papers were a poem titled "A prison called school", an essay on "Michelangelo the Pervert" and "The Positive Points of Communism". All those did was get him labeled "Emotionally disturbed. This one...well...I'm just a little worried. I think college is WAY more tolerant than public school though?????

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:06pm
I say go for it!  I think it's important that we all have the oppurtunity to express ourselves... to think outside the box... or in this case, inside the box.
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Gwyphn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyphn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:45pm
You have one too!

My five year old son had a long discussion with me about time being like a spring. That our life was going on simultaniously with other lives and sometimes, just as the wires in a spring touch, we see glimpses--hence deja vu.

He is also the kid who walked the halls of his high school with hollowed out loaves of bread on his arms. He told his teacher he couldn't write because he had a terrible yeast infection.

He has grown up and now tells me college is for people who want to do something but don't know what it is. Instead he is trying everything he wants to do to see if something sticks.
For generations we have lived not wisely but too well. Now we must pay.
seesthelight View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seesthelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 3:01pm

wow these kid stories are great!!!!  the essay was great too!!!!

I smiled at the essay ...i marvel at  the 5 year old son and.>...."time being like a spring ..that our life was going on simultaneously with other lives and sometimes just as the wires in a spring touch , we see glimpses --hence deja vu.."

I think he has got something there. Gives me much to think about.

and the titles a " A prison called school"  LOL if the other kids didn't write it , they sure think it..LOL   I loved reading this, thanks for sharing this.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 3:34pm
LOL...LOL...LOL.... the "loaves of bread on his arm and couldn't write due to a terrible yeast infection..."LOL...LOL...LOL
Lee2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 4:41pm
That is one smart kid!  He really is a treasure.  Don't let them dumb him down.  No, I don't think they are that tolerant in college either.  We now live in a climate of fear - of smart kids like him!
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:00pm

Kat! You have one great thinking kid!...now just don't let him build this in your backyard!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
elbows View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:06pm
CHoldren who scare teachers with the things they write, have the potential to go far 
Kirby View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:18pm
Awesome!  Better not let my 16 year old see this or he'll be claiming it for his own and it will be in his English class on Monday!
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:20pm

I like his entrepreneurial spirit!

Thanks for sharing these stories. 

"Prepping is Power"!
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:35pm

That's great! Reminds me of the kind of thing I was doing in 7th grade.

Number of flaws in the workability of the project, but I won't be the one to poke holes in the kid's idea.

Good work! You're raising a thinker there!  I love the fact that the kid took a problem, and saw an opportunity!

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 4:41am

I just hope the teacher focuses on the part that this is a poorly written paper and not college level work, and just chuckles at the content, instead of getting freaked. This essay is another example of how smart, but how lazy this child is :-(

I'll let you all know how it goes :-)

Bruss, I HOPE there ARE flaws in the workability of the project. I think his research of the topic was fairly limited and that he is NOT intending to test this out. God, I hope so! As far as I know this is a 2 hour project, tops, that he fit in between video games and working at the arcade.

Lee2, there is NO chance of ANYONE ever dumbing this kid down :-0 He boycotted the 4th grade state mandated tests and wrote a note on his paper to the testers about the low academic standards at his school. THAT was the end of his public school career :-( One of the staff members called me at home and warned me she was afraid one of the other staff was members was getting so angry that he was going to hit my son. A good slap wouldn't have killed my son, but would have ruined the career of the staff member...so...I just yanked him. It wasn't a good lesson for a 9 year old to know he could cause such chaos and have so much control over adults.

He needed to be tucked away for a few years until he learned my motto "Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD!"

I just REALLY hope this doesn't turn into a problem! I'm just not up to it right now :-0

seesthelight View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seesthelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 5:49am

KatDoe ... by the way..you sound like a GREAT mom , your son is so very lucky your HIS MOM. Just wanted to tell you that, not that you didn't know that already!

Just because you Can doesnt' mean you SHOULD>>>..that is so wise.

I remember saying those things to my kids too so it really makes me smile to hear them from someone else. Kind of reinforces that "us" moms know something, though it maybe to the amazement of our kids..lol

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic