Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Nailing Spammers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 7:10am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

I used up all my free IP address checks on geobyte.com last night (they have a "reasonable use limit" apparently) on unregistered guests, and lo and behold, I found about a third of them were in Beijing. Seems we're attracting an awful lot of attention in China.

LOL I wonder why.

Think they're trying to stifle something?
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 7:32am
Wonder how much jail time we'd be looking at if we lived there? LOL
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 9:40am
LOL like those guys that Mahshadin pointed out getting sent for letting word get out?

I'd only get a couple days and a severe beating.

You're going to the Gulag. Sorry man.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 10:19am
Not the gulag. I'm too pretty Embarrassed
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 8:51pm
 Topic: Zenith watches hold out the trusted Second
    Posted: Today at 8:16pm - IP: 112.90.230.90
Says they are in the UK but they are in China 6 posts same guy
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 9:08pm
Persistent, aren't they?
nisse99 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nisse99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 1:46pm
Hi everyone!

I couldn't help to notice the title of this thread and its content as I have gathered some experience myself when it comes to abuse from Chinese IPs.

In my case it concerns a worldwide P2P-network which the Chinese authorities wants to censor from material they for some reason can't find appropriate. Big%20smile

To make a longer story shorter their goal is to prevent their own Chinese citizens to get in contact with Chinese material (mostly movies) concerning the protests in Beijing 1989. So in effect they are trying to censor what is shared on this network and this is affecting not only the Chinese people but also anyone else interested in the same material.
As a side effect other parts of the network is suffering a little in some aspects as well. This is due to how the network is built and how it works.

Anyway, the second thing I noticed is the date of the first post in this thread which was February 27. By that time 3 persons were already hospitalized because they had been infected by this flu.

The third thing is the response how to deal with the problem, that is blocking large ranges of Chinese IPs and maybe that's exactly what they are after if this is a coordinated spam-attack by Chinese authorities. They simply wants to make sure that non or very few Chinese citizens can visit this site.

Personally I share the conviction that ordinary Chinese people already are blocked to visit this site using normal routes, but maybe some can get around this using programs like TOR and that's what the authorities wants to prevent... maybe.. Censored

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 1:55pm
Good post nisse99, and welcome to the forum.  Good to have you here. 

It does in fact seem a little unusual that the spammers seem to be coming from China, although as Jacksdad stated, we may have ruffled a few feathers recently by condemning China for their potential cover-ups, mistreating their citizens regarding internet postings/use during this situation, etc... 

Having said that, we will continue to call China out as much as needed. 

Lastly, we're upgrading the forum over the next few days to enhance the spam/spammer removal - and we're going to step it up a notch on them.  The spamming days will come to an end shortly.

Again, thanks for the post and joining the forum, and I hope you find the site useful.

Best.
Albert

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 7:07pm
Welcome nisse99 Thumbs%20Up
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 11:59am
If you guys would check your Memberlist every day you'd be able to suspend/deactivate before they can post.  I just checked and you've got 12 new users just today so far and you can tell by the gibberish names, United Kingdom, & the Joined & Last Visit dates that they are all spammer.
Spammers almost always have Joined & Last Visit Dates the exact same... like this one:

vydfnoued

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 12:01pm
Still getting steady stream of spam on swineflu.org but every day I check that member list and take care of anyone who hasn't posted yet as well as those that have.  Just one more idea.

BTW... Finland still has no mod functions.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 12:12pm
I will fix finland. 

Jen- I'm going to setup swineflu,org to where new members have to be activated by Admin and that will fix the prob over there. 

In addition - the spam problem over here is also way out of control and we could use your help.  I would like to make you a moderator over here, as well as the rest of the mods from swineflu.org - as again we could use the assitance.

Would you be willing to do this, and can you ask the other mods at swineflu.org?  Let me know....

Thanks,
Albert

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 1:53pm
Jen - I've been thinking about that, but I wasn't sure if we were okay to suspend users that looked like they may be spammers. It is pretty obvious because, as you say, the joined date and last visit tend to match, they almost always use Windows XP and IE 6, and they have stoopid names and claim to be from the UK while their IP is Beijing.
Any thoughts, Albert?
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 2:15pm
Well that's a big part of how I do combat over at swineflu.org.  I think it's pretty clear who's who.  If I was ever in doubt then I did not do it just in case it was an actual member... but usually a legit member will not create an account w/ same joined date & last visit... and they will actually post something... I feel like most don't create accounts & then leave w/o posting.  Spammers are doing this (creating multiple usernames in one day) to they can come back at a later date & consolidate their spam. 

I say if in doubt, looks like a legit name, looks like they lurked or looked around a bit before signing off & esp if they don't have United Kingdom as hometown... then fine leave them alone.  The real spammers make it so obvious that it's easy to knock out a dozen of them and at least that dozen you don't have to worry about them coming back at 3 AM when we are all asleep & setting up 20 or 30 spam posts.

Just my opinion though, I'm new over here & understand y'all have your own way of doing things.

I'll follow your lead, please let me know where you see the most spam as i am unfamilar w/ the forums here.  Also if there is a way to subscribe to the forums that always helped me over there.  I subscribed to almost every forum on swineflu.org... and when anyone posted anything, anywhere... I'd get an email about it.  Most of the time spammers hit the state forums over there so I always knew to look there.  So would appreciate a heads up as to where the focus might be.  Will take me a while to learn usernames as well, over there I could scan almost all forums in seconds and know if anything was out of place.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 3:35pm
I'm following everyone's lead right now as I get used to the mod functions and responsibilities, Jen. Actually, if you look over your shoulder, you'll notice that I'm following you because you have waaaay more experience at this than me  Smile
jody005 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:14pm
I hope you don't throw me out again because I have not posted yet !!!!!!   Originally I was jody 05.
HOPE
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by jody005 jody005 wrote:

I hope you don't throw me out again because I have not posted yet !!!!!!   Originally I was jody 05.

Lol...LOL
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 8:41am
quick, someone get jody, lol.  On the contrary Jody, not only can we easily tell the difference, but it's you, the important members here, who we're doing this for - top priority.  Nothing to worry about. 

Jacksdad, we just need assistance deactivating the spammers in their profile, and deleting posts. We are in the process of enhancing better spam controls on the next 24 hrs.  

I don't like doing the Admin Activation because I don't like there to be a delay in a new member participating.  If something is on a new member's mind and they want to join real quick and share it, waiting several hours to activate them may discourage them from posting forever, which is why this forum has always been very active with posts and participation from new members, etc....  No delay and ease in joining/posting, and of course with a forum that's easy to navigate. 

So because of this, we have to temporarily take on the spammers at ground level - head to head.  Would hate to change the game plan now after 8 years because the spammers bullied us and won  - and out worked us. 

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

quick, someone get jody, lol.  On the contrary Jody, not only can we easily tell the difference, but it's you, the important members here, who we're doing this for - top priority.  Nothing to worry about.  Jacksdad, we just need assistance deactivating the spammers in their profile, and deleting posts. We are in the process of enhancing better spam controls on the next 24 hrs.   I don't like doing the Admin Activation because I don't like there to be a delay in a new member participating.  If something is on a new member's mind and they want to join real quick and share it, waiting several hours to activate them may discourage them from posting forever, which is why this forum has always been very active with posts and participation from new members, etc....  No delay and ease in joining/posting, and of course with a forum that's easy to navigate.  So because of this, we have to temporarily take on the spammers at ground level - head to head.  Would hate to change the game plan now after 8 years because the spammers bullied us and won  - and out worked us. 

How about a capcha?

Or an easy question, like: sixteen minus eight.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 8:18pm
I've been getting about half a dozen a day, and I blocked the IPs and suspended another four this evening. All Beijing/UK with the same operating systems and IE6. Anything else I can do other than blocking IPs/suspending them, Albert? I run through the active members list as often as I can, and I've noticed a lot of them are trying to write posts now, but access is denied and they log off without posting. Hopefully that means we're starting to get to them early.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 9:25pm
Thank you for the assistance jacksdad.  I deactivate them as soon as they join, which is why you might see a lot of non-active users writing - with access denied.  Like to get them early.  Banning by i.p wont work as they're using proxy servers and can change i.p's somewhat easily.  Plus, we're also blocking a lot of innocent people out when we ban i.p by block.  Maybe China wants us to block all China I.P's so none of them can ever participate here?  At this rate, we will soon block all of China by i.p, lol. 

For the time being, let's just keep deactivating the user and deleting posts.  As soon as the upgrade is completed tomorrow, we should have better features/tools to use.  We can also have them reg by admin activation if it comes down to it soon.

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 7:11am
I like the new "Spam Cleaner"... Awesome!

I was a little disappointed no one visited me over at SF.org yesterday while AFT was down Cry Wink
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 3:58am
Yes, the new spam features are working good, and the days of spamming this site have ended for good. 

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 1:06pm
I like the new format.

And especially the absence of dirty spammers.

Seems the days of hunting them for sport and fun are over. Our tags are finally filled.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:11am
I miss them already. They're still around, but apparently not posting. We just had one join, ostensibly from Oregon, but his IP shows him to be from the city of Xi'an in Shaanxi Province, central China. In case it's a local trying to get some info, I left him alone, but somehow I doubt it Disapprove
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 9:50pm
just nailed the first spammer since the change. 

Shoveracto. 

He's selling world of Warcraft gold. 
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 8:01pm
Gosh, I got slammed at SF.org tonight... one guy left 33.  But the very odd thing was that one member had already been marked "Not Active"... I'm assuming by Albert because I always do suspend... anyway, they were still able to post 6 spams.  How is that?  Very strange indeed.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 8:04pm
All mine tonight at SF.org was selling "cheap christian louboutin"... I bet it was all the same guy, 3 different user names 4 total different IP's, 41 total posts... that's not counting the guy who was able to post in spite of being marked Not Active.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 1:02am
We're getting hit with the "I have super immunity" post a little too often for my liking at the moment, and it's being thrown into threads whether it's relevant or not. I just deleted the latest one when it was posted on one of FluMom's threads.
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 1:24am
Yes I agree Jacksdad, he has posted this info on a number of occasions. Also, he registered the other day and yet he shows on today's front page as the newest member.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 1:50am
I see what you mean - he has registered twice. I just deleted yet another duplicate of his post, as usual totally unrelated to the topic being discussed.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 6:21am
I think they do that to test the waters.  Have some over there like that too.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 8:23am
Jen - I headed over to SF last night to see if any more spam had popped up (it was late and I couldn't sleep) but it looked as though you'd got everyone already.
I'm not sure if our guy is necessarily a spammer, but he has the same post that he just keeps throwing into threads whether it's relevant or not (and it's not). It use to be in Russian, but now he's translated it and posts the same English version over and over.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:18pm
The "I have super immunity..." post popped up again today in two threads, so I deleted them and PM'd the poster to tell them we welcome any contributions made to the site, but to please stop posting the same thing over and over in threads where it's not relevant. We'll see... 
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:20pm
Make that three posts. Just found another.
albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 1:05pm
Good job on the pm to the poster. We don't want to remove/delete a post unless it's absolutely necessary. Sometimes people from different countries speaking a diff language, such as in this case, can be easily misunderstood.   Deleting a post is always the last alternative. As mods we need to be understanding and patient. It's easy to use ur power and authorirty as a mod, but much tougher not to.

Keep up the good work,

Albert
albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 1:10pm
We'll add a Russian translation to the forum later today.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 1:52pm
That'll work, Albert - hopefully they'll come back with something other than the same post. I figured whoever it is doesn't fit the profile of the spammers that were hitting us so hard a few weeks ago, and they seem to have an interest in the site so maybe they just need a little encouragement. That I'm aware of, we don't get a lot of input from that part of the world and Russia shares part of it's southern border with China.
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 1:50am
Hi Albert & Mods,

Had a few spam attacks tonight from user Luhui.  She likes designer handbags and clothes and hyperlinks keywords to her wares.
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 10:43am
why do some posts that are copy paste news, which i see all over the site rejected before they can possibly be read and called spam? They are not spam, not selling one thing has happened a couple of times ? i try to change the title thinking something in the title may activate a program to spot spam, but that does not even help, i have reduced the article to just say news, it gets shut down.
God Bless
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 4:26pm
I'm having the same problem Debbie... I tried taking out links, but it still wouldn't work.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 4:35pm
I've had a couple of posts where I couldn't paste an article too. I took out the title, pictures, pasted it by paragraphs - nothing works with some of them.
Albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 8:21pm
we'll look into it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic