Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Nailing Spammers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nailing Spammers
    Posted: February 27 2013 at 9:53pm
Is it just me or has there been an inordinate amount of the buttholes lately?

Hachiban had me nailing them all day!

The one guy from China must have had thirty posts advertizing everything from gucci watches to pen15 enlargement.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 10:47am
No there are alot, I have been taking down about 20 a day this week, with the exception of yesterday. You must have got them all Smile. They have been bad lately.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:14am
I just got done deleting 25 more.
sms View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:53am
thank you for keeping this site clean again thank you
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 8:05pm
I just deleted 10 more.

Turbo, make sure you block their IP address then suspend their membership.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 9:41pm
Yup, every time I nail them I block their IP.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 9:36am
Thank you! Now we're getting them in all languages too, lol.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 3:56pm
lol They bug me, so I feel the urge to notify
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 12:04pm
17 more gone, lol. The thing is I would never EVER buy their products after being annoyed by them, lol.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

lol They bug me, so I feel the urge to notify

Well, you notified me sixteen times LOL!

How about four or five times at most? All us admins get an email every time you do that. Typically when I see one of those, I pop in, nail the one in question, then nail any others that I see by that username.

I'm not saying stop notifying, they'll clog up a forum in seconds, but you don't need to notify that many times.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 12:35pm
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know it did that.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 7:28am
Okay, I just nailed twenty two, and two more happened while I was nailing the others!

All of them are in China.

Screw you China. I hate you!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 7:48am
I got about 15 yesterday, most were from the UK. But yes alot of them are from China.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 7:56am
If I have the time, I always try to disable their accounts too, that way they can't just move to another computer. Of course it doesn't stop them from registering again under a different name, but they have to go through re-registering. And it there is a box where we can put a message, I always put the date I disable someones account and why, that way any mod coming behind me knows why and when I do what I do.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:43am
Thanks everyone for notifying us of the spammers.

We're taking care of them as fast as we possibly can.

Nailed a bunch today.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 4:00pm
Dumped a bunch yesterday. I also disabled their accounts. Anything else we can do to keep them off this site?
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 10:46am
More today!
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Dumped a bunch yesterday. I also disabled their accounts. Anything else we can do to keep them off this site?

Maybe requiring a catcha or admin account verification.

There is five or six per day now. At least they're stupid enough to have gibberish as their username every time. I nail them as soon as they're registering.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 10:32pm
Just got a bunch more and they were online at the time. That's always fun!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 12:43pm
Just got some more.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Just got some more.

I just nailed a bunch, and pretty much banned their entire IP range. (China)

They're using dynamic IPs so they're switching within that country and evading the bans. Let's see them get through that one....
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 3:08pm
Okay, nailed pretty much the entirety of China.

If anyone got mistakenly nailed, post about it and we'll figure out a way around it for you.

Unless you're Chinese. Because I'm not letting in any more spambots.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 9:43am
Hey everybody, it's Jen from swineflu.org.  Just had to post when I saw this thread, lol.  It's been insane over there for spammers too.  Got over 40 one day.  Just in the past couple days has it slowed down to less than 10.  My routine is... block IP (yea I know they can get these a dime a dozen) & suspend user.  I used to put something in admin notes but don't feel its necessary anymore.  They don't even try to hide the fact they are spammers w/ user names like... 219xEV63LpO...

Anyway glad to see it's not just over there, not that I find joy in your spam misery or anything. Wink
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Jen147 Jen147 wrote:

Hey everybody, it's Jen from swineflu.org.  Just had to post when I saw this thread, lol.  It's been insane over there for spammers too.  Got over 40 one day.  Just in the past couple days has it slowed down to less than 10.  My routine is... block IP (yea I know they can get these a dime a dozen) & suspend user.  I used to put something in admin notes but don't feel its necessary anymore.  They don't even try to hide the fact they are spammers w/ user names like... 219xEV63LpO...

Anyway glad to see it's not just over there, not that I find joy in your spam misery or anything. Wink

Hi Jen!

If you want to, ban their entire IP range. We've never really gotten anything of any use from China, and it seems that all the spammers are coming from there. I've started banning entire IP ranges.

You can do that by taking the digits off the IP's. I.e. 86.124.55.654 would be "86.*" and anyone from the IP range of 86. isn't going to be able to get through.

This DRAMATICALLY slowed the amount down.

Now I'm dealing with a couple here in the U.S. and they're pissing me off.

It's time for Ryan (Albert) to start requiring email verification to log onto these forums again.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 5:02pm
Thanks Turboguy, I'll try that for sure.  Another measure I've resorted to... each day I check the Memberlist & adjust it till it shows me the most recent registered & I go ahead and suspend them.  Like I said before you can tell who's a spammer & who's a real member & in the event that  I accidently suspend a legit member who just so happened to sign up & sign off within a 5 minute period, so be it, just a casualty of war.  Because what they do a lot of time is create these accounts then come back days later to spam the heck out of me.  One day I checked the memberlist and overnight there were a little over 20 new "members" all the same random # & letter user names.  I started doing this just this last week and I wonder if that isn't why I've seen a slow down over there, who knows.

I couldn't agree more about the email verification, but I'll believe it when I see it.  I made a case a long time ago about not allowing guest posts on swineflu.org because that used to be where the majority of our spam came from and they were heavy there for a while, can't suspend a guest... but nothing ever happened. 
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 9:32am
I don't think banning the range is gonna work... here's a sample of IP's I've gotten just in the last 2 to 3 days, as you can see it's all over the map... literally...

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 9:42am
Had a spammer today named Harmon774, posted 9 spam posts, used 3 different IP's... none similar to each other.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 9:55am
Another of our Mods, Technologist (Tech as we called him) could change his IP, he demonstrated this to us once posting several times in our Mod Room & every post had a different IP.  Hope he doesn't mind me reposting this but he's not been online in almost a yr so here goes, it was his explanation:

Technologist
Forum Moderator
Posted: 16 March 2010 at 2:57pm

Test 4 Back home

I jumped from the Netherlands to Texas to Orange County in minutes. I was just demonstrating how hard it is to track or block someone by following an IP address.

To make things more interesting:

Try looking up the location of this Netherlands IP I posted from: 138.199.64.53

Then try tracing the IP and note the trace is not correct.

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 8:41am
Yeah, he's using proxy servers. Once you nail the range of that server, sometimes entire countries are banned.

What I'm doing is banning entire IP ranges.

By doing this the *VAST* majority of our spammers are now off limits as I've got quite a lot of the country of China now banned. It's not like they really had much to say anyways.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Jen147 Jen147 wrote:

I don't think banning the range is gonna work... here's a sample of IP's I've gotten just in the last 2 to 3 days, as you can see it's all over the map... literally...

Of these IP addresses all but one wouldn't have even made it onto this forum. I've got all those locked up.

The only one is the 111.174 IP
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:33am
ok, so... i just take the first set of numbers then? 

There's one spam post in our State Forum Montana that I can not remove.  For some strange reason there's no mod features for any thread only under the News Bulletin forum.  Instead of all the Mod buttons I see on everything else there's only "Report", even the IP is not visible, says IP logged.  All the other sub forums & threads w/i Montana is fine it's only News Bulletin.  I think it's only something that Albert can fix.  If the spammers get wise and start posting there, oh well.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 3:25pm
Yeah, for instance, your ip starts with 67.212

If I take that and shorten it to "67.*" I've now banned the entire state of TN.

An example: I just nailed one from china. In the IP ban field I put 180.* and they'll have to find a IP from another city to use.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 4:01pm
Ok, thanks :)
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 8:56pm
Hey, admins have to stick together!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 4:51pm
Got a few more today, mostly from the United Kingdom.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 6:55pm
That's what they say on SF.org too, United Kingdon.  Who knows if that's really true.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 7:23pm
Hello all, I apologize for the problem as i've been gone awhile.

With the moderator function, you should be able to see their i.p.  Back in the old days when you simply clicked on the i.p, the spammers would be banned by i.p automatically.  I'm not sure if the function is operating properly, but keep doing it.  The work is much appreciated.

Otrherwise, go into their profile and "deactivate" the user (making them inactive), and then post their username and i.p here on this thread at which time i will also ban by i.p and delete the username. 

Deactive the username and then track the i.p to see if they re-register. 

We'll try not to let them back.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Hello all, I apologize for the problem as i've been gone awhile.

With the moderator function, you should be able to see their i.p.  Back in the old days when you simply clicked on the i.p, the spammers would be banned by i.p automatically.  I'm not sure if the function is operating properly, but keep doing it.  The work is much appreciated.

Otrherwise, go into their profile and "deactivate" the user (making them inactive), and then post their username and i.p here on this thread at which time i will also ban by i.p and delete the username. 

Deactive the username and then track the i.p to see if they re-register. 

We'll try not to let them back.

Yup, that's exactly what we've been doing.

The problem is that I think they're using dynamic IP's and proxies. They seem to be limited to china though, and don't seem to really try to use addresses outside china.

All their names are jibberish and they report their location as United Kingdom. The bots don't really have any imagination.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 5:32am
Albert, on SwineFlu.org check out the State Forum Montana, sub forum News Bulletin.  Penham & I have no mod functions in that sub forum and cannot delete or hide the spam, it's only that one.  As Turboguy said we've been blocking IP's

I don't know about the Mods here but over there I've been Suspending them in their profile, would it be better to choose Not Active?  Or maybe both?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 6:38am
Good job Turbo.  Those guys are pain in the *ss.  We'll work together and nail them. 

Hi Jen, long time no talk.  I will fix the mod function for Montana.  I need to make a few changes over there and will do it shortly.  I recommend doing as much damage to their profile as possible i.e suspend them, make not active, and remove their email.  After awhile they will just bugout and leave.  I can also delete their user altogether.

Keep up the good work and will be to swineflu.org shortly.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 7:00am
Montana is fixed on swineflu.org.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 7:14am
Awesome, thanks Albert.  They really like those State forums.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 3:43pm
Good job Jen.  Keep up the good work. Much appreciated.

Turbo, feel free to automatically suspend any user that joins in a jibberish name, and don't let them even get a post off.  Suspend as they register.  I will continue to delete the names at the same time. 

You guys are doing good work with these spammers, and it's probably the worst i've seen in 7 years here.  It seems like there are only 2 or 3 extremely presistant ones, but not good.  Suspend any jibberish name as they register, and i'm sure you recognize them by now.  Let's get rid of them for good and end it.

If you're unable to enter their profile to edit/suspend, it's because i've already deleted them.  Once they actually leave the site, their profile won't be displayed again.

Again - good job.  Time to take the forum back.       

A
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 6:14pm
I have no mod functions on this link to delete this one for some reason. Got the other ones, but they are showing up as a guest. How can an unregistered guest post?

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 6:40pm
Hi Penham, thanks for the heads-up and the mod functions are fixed for that forum.  The user showed as guest because he was already deleted so you probably can't get into their profile.  I removed the post as well.  Most of them have been deleted and will continue to deleting as they login.

Your help over the last few years is appreciated and you've done a good job.

A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic