Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Emergency TP Back-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency TP Back-up
    Posted: April 17 2013 at 6:14am
As a suggestion for a toilet paper back-up, I recommend buying a few yards of flannel material. It can be cut into squares (about 6x6ish) and used over and over. Yes, they have to be washed. So do baby diapers. Same principle. This will save huge amounts of your t.p. if there are women in your household who obviously use more than men. Even if only used for urine it will extend your supply immensely. The material itself will only cost you about $10.00 right now. Try to make sure to cut with pinking shears.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:05pm
Good Idea!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 2:28pm
Wahing TP and the water it takes may work for some. I personally would just visit the local janitioral supply place. A case of cheap TP is well, cheap. The large packs of FLUSHABLE wipes are great as well. A quick waterless bath with these are better than nothing. The cheap WalMart brands are fine. After a day or two of no showers a wet wipe is better than nothing.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 8:02am
Another suggestion from the janitorial supply house is the extra large rolls of paper that go in the new type dispensers. They are tightly compacted and on extremely lagre rolls. A case of those will last one or two people for months on end and they are pretty cheap. I bought two cases and some quick experimentation tells me a single roll last my family of three for nearly a month. Prep on!
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 6:41am
We live in a very disposable minded society. Eventually you could actually run out of paper products. We are a family of 10. At least with this method there is something available that can be used when the paper is gone.

As a side note, this time of year people are giving away their used flannel sheets because the new ones go on sale. That's a lot of flannel for just a couple of dollars.

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:09pm
I will get some flannel this weekend and make some I think it is a good idea. For women who pee a lot like me it will be a great savings on TP! Save the TP for the other job!
starspirit View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 10:58pm
Flannel,old soft t-shirts,shop garage sales and thrift stores bleach then cut in square with pinking shears and vacuum seal them..and use baby wipes with them...I have been thinking about this idea for a while,too..my husband broke his hip in Oct. they gave him a chair commode ..so now we have our potty situation covered..cheap trash bags for a liner and if we have newspaper put it in the bottom of bag...this works great used this method before with a bucket...I vacuumed sealed t-paper I want to see if it would make a difference in space I took the card board roll out..it really did make a difference but I think I'm going with the flannel ,t-shirt ,baby wipes idea for now...I always keep at least 4 big 8 pks t-paper on hand..
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 1:21pm
The point being it is an idea! It doesn't hurt to be open to ideas. Who knows at some point you may run out of paper products while sheltering in place, but still have running water and access to your washer and dryer. This idea may help someone in the longrun and that's what it's all about!
Nanook View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 7:58am
I am with you, ParanoidMom and FluMom.  I think that the flannel idea is a really good one.  I am going to try it now for myself.  That is a great way to save money.  I cloth diapered my kids when they were little and saved tons of money (thousands of dollars). 
Always be Prepared!
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:13pm
i am begining to see the uses for the ziplock bags really expand.
God Bless
Colonel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Colonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 9:04am
If you're looking for something long term, then you need to look at a different strategy - not just more of the same. These are well-made, they work, and they are fully reusable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDPCHLU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Colonel Colonel wrote:

If you're looking for something long term, then you need to look at a different strategy - not just more of the same. These are well-made, they work, and they are fully reusable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDPCHLU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent, I was going to suggest something like that! 

People in poor societies worldwide exist just fine without toilet paper, I think we'll figure out how to master it.   Stored TP might be more valuable as fire kindling.  

CRS, DrPH
reeta View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 10:06pm
Great idea
reeta
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic