Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Strike and Mortality rates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strike and Mortality rates
    Posted: April 21 2013 at 2:34am
Once a novel virus goes pandemic the things to look for is the strike rate and the mortality rate.

The strike rate is the percentage of the population who become infected. This is usually around 25% with a novel virus because people have no immunity to that virus.

Then of the people infected, there is the rate of mortality - RoM. This means the percentage of people who die from the new virus.

So far we have 96 people infected and 18 dead, which is a RoM of about 19% but, and this is a big but, there are 71 people hospitalised and this is disturbing for 2 reasons:

1 in a pandemic the health system would collapse and the RoM would be much higher.

2 the number of cases will rise and the health system will collapse and how many of the 71 hospitalised will die and would have died with no medical treatment?

Time will tell.

good luck everyone - this is it

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 4:34am
Absolutely right, Kilt.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 4:52am
i was thinking the very same thing, yes Kilt ,this could be IT,71 people on ventilators, once

it starts to spread, there wont be enough , and as  you say the Death rate will increase, i

think some people in China have an immunity, because they live so closely with there

animals when it breaks out  of China i think we will see the Death rate surge 
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 5:21am
Not to change the subject, but the one thing that sets this site aside from all the other blogs, forums, etc....  not only are we the watch dogs of the next pandemic here, as well as posting news and information, but this site's primary goal is to get people through a severe pandemic and ensuring that as many people as possible survive such an event.  I can assure you, this site will go far beyond just tracking and posting news.

BWF View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BWF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 5:53am

Since this virus has progressed across China "under the radar", how likely is it that it has already spread beyond China?
nijack View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nijack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 6:40am
I think we are all waiting to see if this spreads beyond China as that will be our "Oh sh**" moment.  I'm surprised that no neighboring countries have reported any cases yet...even among a chinese national traveling to their country.  We may have some time before this spreads efficiently and pops up elsewhere.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen and it continues what appears to be limited ability to be transmitted h2h.  Time , unfortunately, will tell...
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 7:54am
We might be looking at the very beginnings of a first wave. Spanish Flu started in Kansas at about this time in 1918, but the deadly second wave didn't appear until the fall. With today's population densities, and the way this virus is acting, I'm not sure any historical lessons are particularly valid when predicting if it'll go pandemic, how fast, and how lethal it could potentially be. We'll know soon enough though, I'm guessing.
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Suzi16 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 8:43am
Check out the google map on another thread. Every time there is a new case reported I check to see if it is outside of the big group around Shanghi. They are not. If China is hiding info in addition to just numbers, cases outside Shanghi would be how I'd do it.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 8:55am
102 infected 20 dead

more of both to come I think

http://tuoitrenews.vn/international/8943/20-dead-from-china-bird-flu-state-media
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Iowa102 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 11:33am
Looking at the numbers from a different perspective; If you take the number of people who have been infected, subtract the dead and hospitalized, so far we have about 7% of those infected that have lived through it. That's much worse than H5N1.
Those who publicly blame an object for the user’s abuse are promoting irresponsible behavior.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 11:43am
Good point - the low recovery rate is what's concerning me more than anything right now.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 7:44am
Lets look at the USA

If the strike rate is 25% that's 92 million Americans infected.

If the RoM remains at 20% thats 18.5 million Americans dead from the Flu.

China and India are beyond the imagination and worst nightmares.

The problem is that people will die of other stuff and starvation because the food and medical systems will break down and Law and order will break down.

Hurricane Katrina is an example.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 8:29am
Very true - in a major pandemic, everything would take a hit. Unlike 1918, we're not equipped to carry on as normal if the shelves run bare, and the lights go out. Scary thought.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by BWF BWF wrote:

Since this virus has progressed across China "under the radar", how likely is it that it has already spread beyond China?

Exactly right.

China is notorious for trying to keep internal problems under wraps so they can cite the infallibility of communist rule. It's an absolute farce.

My experience with them says that if they even let out that they're having a problem and that it is slowly spreading, in reality things are already way out of hand and its probably whipping around like wildfire.

An even bigger question is what country is going to be next?
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 3:27pm
North Korea is about the same distance from Beijing as the jump the virus made getting there from Shanghai. Of course, if it ended up in the DPRK we'd never be allowed to know about it.
Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, Malaysia and the whole of southeast Asia must be getting very nervous right about now, as well as Pakistan and India.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 9:43pm
Since we don't know the vector it is hard to say how it will spread. 

If it is wild birds, then all neighbouring countries will be affected, with the timing dependant mostly on mirgation patterns (which I believe are currently shifting north).

If it is in birds for human consumption, or in other animals (pigs) or if it is in people then the spread is likely to follow the trade routes.  In the latter case it would more easily jump from Shanghai to Beijing than from Beijing to North Korea. 

I hope they soon find how this is being transmitted (then we might have a better idea of what is in store for us).
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 9:50pm
Albert, I always feel better when I come here and see what is what. It is nice to have all this information all in one place and I know many of you folks have been here for a while and I know you are dedicated to getting news out and helping each other.
Hopefully, it never comes to a full blown pandemic but if it does, I'm sure we will all be here and continue to help each other however we can.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 9:58pm
Amen to that, Melody.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic