Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Old ways, using new tech

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old ways, using new tech
    Posted: March 05 2006 at 2:08pm
I use new tech to help me in prepping, the old ways. I will give brief details of how and why I use the stuff we have.

I have worked in coal mines, a little light goes a long way when there is absolutely no light. Solar driveway lights will light up a room fine. And are cheap, under ten bucks. I keep 8 new ones ready to set out for the sun to charge.

We use the big ammo cans to store beans, flour, meal, sugar, and rice in. Make sure to get the sealed ones. They have a rubber gasket on the lids. If air gets to beans, bugs will also.

Matches are not dependable enough for me, get a zippo lighter some flints and four big cans of fluid.

The small car jumper units, hold 12 volt power, run TV radio, lights from one, one small solar charge panel to keep it charged.

We have ATVs to use if TSHTF, and a little wagon to haul water behind them. We are lucky to be close to good water. ATVs are easier used than a horse.

A small flat bottom boat on a trailer,is nice to fish with, and can be used to haul many items, if you need a way to haul things, without having a truck or trailer.

A good rubber tired, two wheel dolly, is PRICELESS.

A small outhouse four feet square, can be built in a few hours, digging the hole is the worst part of it.

If you store loose salt, put some grains of rice in it, the rice will absorb moisture. I keep fifty pound blocks of salt, cheap and easy to store, set in dry and forget them.

If you have weapons in a safe, put rice in the safe for the moisture. And in the cans with your ammo.

Coleman gas stoves are a must, lights also, power goes off you can still cook and see. Mine are 50 years old and work well.

A portable propane heater, will heat one room well.

A small woodcookstove can be set up in minutes, put a piece of tin over a windwow run the pipe through the tin.

Empty clean sheetrock mud buckets are good to put first aid kits in, especially when used with one of the toolpouches on the outside of it.

A few tubes of silicone sealer and caulking gun to apply it with is a must.

Lard is a must have, easy to keep and many uses.

Coffeee filters, doubled will filter out bugs from water, a bit of bleach and the water is safe.

I put back stuff every Fall, this year is no different, and not much more stuff. No MREs and expensive junk. Only by things you will use period, if nothing bad ever happens, it's no big loss.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 5:11pm
Treble hooks, nylon chord, lead and you have the makings to catch fish.  I grew up on a river and catching catfish off drop lines is pretty simple.  Just find a limb that is over hanging the river and tie off your weighted line with treble hook.  Bait can be most anything - but worms and the river go together.  We call them night crawlers in Alabama - big wrigglers.  I grew up raking through the composted leaves and putting them in a can since I was 4 years old.  A quick way to catch them is to "fiddle them."  Cut a sappling about 2 inch in diameter about 6 inches above the ground.  Start sawing on top of the stump - the vibrations in the ground cause the worms to come up - it tickles them.  If you get it right you can feel the vibrations your self.  One person saws and one rakes back the leaves.  If you can't catch fish . . . well worms have alot of protein.
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 5:45pm
Useful stuff Tnbebo, sounds like from somebody who lives it. Couple of dumb questions though, purpose of silicone sealer?, any idea how long lard will keep in a sealed container if its kept reasonably cool? Have heard that dried, powdered sheetrock in little cloth bags will also suck moisture out of the air, like for use in ammo cans etc. Ive also heard the shetrock bags can be dried out again in microwave oven. Never tried it, any idea if its true? Good tip about the ammo can gaskets, not a lot of people know that, (also since they are not airtight without the gasket they will not float, for long, anyway). On the two wheeled dolly, ive heard its best to get one with tubeless tires as they can be fixed with a tire plug kit (also an important prep item) as they can be repaired without dismounting the tire. Also strike anywhere wooden matches can be made completely waterproof and will last almost forever if dipped in hot, melted wax. I had to print your post Bebo, to many useful things not to have in writting. thanks
Those who will not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 5:46pm

Bama,

We have a small, deep community lake that has cat fish in it.  It's not a river.... would the "drop line" work in a lake?  This would be an awesome thing if we didn't have to sit out in plain sight while we are trying to catch fish.  I never thought about this "drop line" thing.  I had thought about our crab pot though, wondering if a fish would find its way into it.

SZ

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 6:24pm
I never have tried drying sheetrock bags, I am sure the dust would take moisture though, but it might be messy. I do know sheetrock gives off hydrogen sulfide when it's decomposing, stinks like rotten eggs. H2S would be tough on the metal cans.

Lard will keep for two years, and is good for many things, I have used it for first aid stuff, on cuts and the like.

Silicone sealer can be used for many things, stop leaks, put windows back in place, windshield cracks, put a light coat on gaskets on ammo cans, sealed perfectly.

That fiddling for worms works too. I forgot about that one. I lay some old shingles out on the ground below my chicken house, of all places, worms always under them.

Zoe get Steve to tell you how to make a trotline, catfish the easy way. For more than one fish at a time.
Sure2Survive View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sure2Survive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 7:52pm

Check out the Mr Buddy Heater and Miox water purifier on ebay the prices are good and the items are great

Sucess requires eye's wide open
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:35pm
  Hi TNbrbo 408.  Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas.  I would like to know what you use the block salt for? and where can we buy it.  Thank you.  i will be using a lot of your ideas.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:41pm

Wet ground + car battery with cables = worms (Go fish)

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:12pm
MissM, block salt is cheap way to store a lot of salt, 3.50 for fifty pounds, get it at tractor supply or farmers coops. Only get the white blocks, the red ones, and yellow have other minerals than salt in them.

You can bust off a bit of salt as you need it.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:17pm

Great post, TnBebo - I love the "old ways with new tech" philosophy.

We have a Mr. Buddy heater and it is great.  It has a low oxygen sensor so it is safe for use indoors.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 4:42am

SZ

You can do the same thing floating a gallon milk jug staked off at the bank.  You have to be careful of the wind and orient yourself so tat the wind is not blowing your jug back to the bank.  If you have a boat rigging a line all the way across a lake or fiver works best, you just tie your drops off the main line.  No boat - drops on a limb or gallon milk jug work well - the catfish catch themselves.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 6:43am
GREAT SITE   LOWE'S AND HOME DEPOT ARE SELLING HEATERS HALF OFF RIGHT NOW.  GOOD WAY TO PURCHASE YOUR HEATER AT HALF PRICE.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 4:34pm
More country logic, using new tech items.
Old timers said no feet no horse, same for humans. Provide at least TWO pairs of GOOD, work boots for each member in your household. One pair to be wearing, one to be drying.
Boots should be well broke in before everyday use, if the imune system gets weak, feet are a weak link.

Same with towels and washrags, have three of each, for each person. One to be using, one to be dirty, and one to be clean and dry. Washing on a rub board takes time, so does line drying.

Socks, 12 pairs of GOOD heavy socks for each person.

Spare work, COMFORTABLE, and tough clothes, three sets per person.
Winter clothing is a another issue, depends on where you are.

Military style cots for each person are nice.
Sleeping bags, two per person, and four extras for kinfolks, friends, maybe even a loved one.

I feel it's prudent to have these things on hand, just losing power for a week and these things become essentials.
The sleeping gear is nice, just for kids during sleepovers, and not very expensive, if bought at yard sales, flea markets or ebay.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 7:04am
If anyone is in range of the unclaimed baggage store in Scottsboro, Alabama they have a great selection of clothing, sleeping bags, books, military fatigues - all kinds of stuff.  Not as cheap as a thrift store - but people travel with new & like new clothes.  The place is bigger than one city block.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 2:01pm

Prepping the home for defense:

One of the best ways to prep a door against break in is a wedge at the bottom.  Most people who are intent on getting in your house can do so - but you want to slow them down, hopefully make it difficult enough that they will give up - but at the least give you time to hear noise and react.  I saw a show some years back and I believe reviews in consumer reports of a fold down bracket at the bottom of the door that wedged when the door is forced from the outside.  The harder the door is pushed the more force is generated on the bracket device at the bottom.  Effectively you had to break the door completely down to get in.  Dead bolts can be defeated by a common bumper jack unless you built your house yourself and defeated this by design.  You would need bridging across the studs on each side of the door opening.  Burglers simply jack the door frame open several inches until the bolt clears and then just push the door in. 

You probably can improvise a non destructive wedge for the bottom of your door that will not destroy your hard wood floor.  Worst case one screw through a wedge at the bottom of the door won't do too much damage.

Thomas Angel addressed windows in another post (plywood and screws).   I proposed using card board and dowels cut to length to prevent the windows from being opened.  Not as good of a deterent but it is non destructive to the window.  Early in an event I don't want people to see into my house so would line the inside with card board.  Or limit the windows that can be seen into.  People are reluctant to bash a window in if they can't see what is on the other side.  I plan on tracing the outline of my 9mm CZ75 on the card board so it is plainly visible.  If things go down hill further then I have several sheets of plywood and 50 pounds of various wood screws.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 2:16pm

for worms I put a couple of peices of old carpet in my backyard and covered them with leaves to reatin the moisture..kids go back in the yard and pull the carpet back and they have worms...even the smalls worms work...

I am on the hunt for a few baby strollers i want to remove the wheels and the bars..hopefully make them adjustable to fit many things in..if I have to get to the woods and get wood or sticks to burn I have a good sized wooden box for that and if I have to get water...things like that...yard sales will be coming up and I hope to get out to a few before this al hits...but baby strollers have great re-useable wheels...

orp.s just strip the stroller bar and you have the melt frame already there...that is why I put a few....battery operated sotterin gun(now spelled right oh well)

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 5:17pm
Be sure to stock up some lime, to use for sanitation.

Lime dust will draw moisture if stored in a barn or shed, for longterm storage it must be kept very dry.

A couple of cheap cammo tarps can be carried on a ATV, to drape over it, to hide under if hiding becomes important.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 7:46pm
If you can, get some small packs of firecrackers, can be a useful distraction tool.

And if you need to pick blackberries, throw a few in the briars, they will run the rattlers out. Or at least get them to sing so you can find them.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:44am

Fishing,

Where I live and grew up you can still see the remains of rock dams on rivers and streams.  Indians would dam the river at a shoal area except at a point where the water would fall off a rock.  They left a small opening at this location and placed a woven basket below so that any fish coming through the slot in their dam would fall in the basket.

When I was a teen we giged fish at night for food.  We used carbide lanterns and waded around on the shoals and speared them.  You just move around slowly and you usually can get right up on them without disturbing them.  Some folks just stand and wait for the light to attract a fish and then spear them.  Sometimes you attract Mr. No Shoulders they like the water too but snakes taste alot like chicken to me.  At one time you could buy gigs at Ace hardware

On small creeks we snared suckers.  You can make a snare with a short piece of PVC pipe or conduit.  Push a small diameter cable like 1/8" through it making a loop at the bottom - fasten one side of the cable off.  Leave the other end free to push in & out of the conduit.  Make a pull on the free end of the caple like a lawn mower pull so you can yank on the cable.  Watch for a fish in the creek and slowly pass the loop over them and yank.

Fish don't like DC current either.

Now your local conservation agent probably would not approve of the above fishing methods, but if you are hungry then . . .

Back in my day we didn't have xbox or playstations.  We only had one channel on TV and I think the only show ever on was Lawrence Welk. 

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:52pm
DC current fishing, get a old crank telephone, run the leads to the water, crank the phone, telephone those fish right to the top. Like Steve says, might not be exactly the right thing to do, but if TSHTF, it would beat starving to death.

Gigging frogs is another way to get food, use a dim light, boat around and you will find them. And watch for snakes, they will come to a light. Legs are the only thing to eat on a frog, takes a lot of them to fill a skillet, keep it lidded they will jump out, till they about half done cooking.

Rattlers do taste like chicken, but if you kill one to eat. BE VERY CAREFUL in how you take him, if he bites himself, it aint good to eat, will make you sick. Cut the head off behind where his poison glands are, then strip the skin off, rolling it to his rear. Be careful of handling the rattlers, they can cause blindness.

Clean it, and cut up in strips about four inches long, batter and fry like chicken strips. Goes good with rice and can be used in dumplins, just like chicken or squirrel is.

If you don't know how to use carbide lights, leave them alone, they can explode and they take constant care to keep them working.

If you are forced to kill wild animals for food, don't be greedy, use them sparingly, and don't take more than you need. You must get used to the taste of wild meats, it's not hamburger or hot dogs.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 4:26pm

fireplaces waste a lot of heat, some people think you have to heat the whole house, smart folks know you can be comfortable in just a small space if it is warm.  We used to block off seldom-used parts of the house by tacking up blankets, closing doors etc and basically just heating the bedroom.  You can also warm just the bed by heating up something with thermal mass and putting it in the bed half an hour before bedtime.  Large stones or bricks, placed in the fire until hot and then wrapped in towels or blankets and put in the bed sure help you sleep warmer.  be sure there's no trapped moisture inside tho because a steam explosion could occur.  You can also put boiling water into jugs you're sure aren't going to leak (like a Nalgene water bottle) and do the same thing - old backpacker's tip for warming up a cold sleeping bag.

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:01pm
If you have small camp stoves, or heaters that use the small propane cans, get a filling adapter, to fill the small cans from a large one. They are $15 at harbor freight. Or build a hose assembly to hook it direct to the larger tank.

Shop around to fill your big propane tanks, welding gas suppliers usually will fill them for a third of the price of the exchange bottles of the milk jug, or 7-11 stores prices.

Bruss, you are so right, I bet you know what being able to throw a cat through the walls means.
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 5:06pm
Went to harbor freight today myself and found solar powered yard lights with xtra bright leds, completely self contained, with 8 hour continuous light  ability for 4.99 each.  Think someone miskeyed putting the add on their website, as the SALE price on these is 12.99! Print the add from their website ( www.harbourfreight .com) before you go in as the manager gave me alot of grief over the price. I bought eight.The Skew no. on these lights is 90729.Nice having an everlast light source for cheap! Nice finding a bargain on something that gives peace of mind!
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:15pm
I had a great list of the many uses of listerine, but can't find it. I got it off the net somewhere, I think a friend sent it to me.

Has anyone else seen this list or know where to find it?
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:51pm
Dont know about the list but isnt listerine 25% alcohol??   Brings a couple of uses immediately to mind, emergency nerve tonic and trade item. I dont have a bottle here to check the proof as I use Single Malt Scotch myself,(Glen Ord).
debtrag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debtrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 6:21am
Does any one have a recipe for an onion plaster.  My grandfather told me that my grandmother save the life of one of her children (12) with an onion plaster.  She had pneumonia and the doctor's had given up, no hope.  She went outside and dug wild onions (I think) and made a plaster.  I wish I would have listened better and asked more questions but this was years ago.  Any ways my aunt lived after 2 days of using one.  If anyone has any info I would be greatly appreciative.  My grandfather was born in 1907 so this would have been a remedy possibly used in the 30's. 
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:03am
Cant help much on that, debtrag, wouldnt recognise a wild onion if it bit me.  You might try doing advanced search on google for the phrase "onion plaster"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:07am
I think TNbebo will know how to make his own listerine - may have to expierment a little on how to get that fresh taste in there
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:09am
Pretty sure ur right about bebo! LOL
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:32am
Now Steve, you surely don't think we will make 25% stuff do you???????? That is about two shake, blackpot run aint it?

debtrag, I will ask Granny about the onion plaster or paste, I think she will say it's gotta have some garlic, lard, and yellow sulphur powder in it also.

And she will probably say. Why don't you just use some Vicks salve BOY, are you that ignert? To me of course, I do not mean any disrespect to you, or your question.

When she calls me boy, she means I am a dumbass.

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:48am
 hi to all , i brought a camping fire starter, magnesium bar  on a key chain  for about 6 dollars, at walmart, to be used when all else fails or nothing left to start fires ,also brought 1/2 price at dicks sport store , a cast ironpot/wok  for 5 dollars, , tall enoughh to put on a fire,and or used to heat it up and put cookpots inside , not all everyday cookwear is going to take to an open fire, this will,  roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:49am

TNbebo - I knew you would call me on that - LOL

Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 6:41pm
I have heard u can use high quality 'shine"  mixed 50/50 with gas to fuel gasoline engines. Any truth to that???    It does seem like such a waste though, the need would have to be truly desperate to justify it.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:18pm
Chuck, this might be possible, but it takes so much energy to make high proof alcohol, it's not an effective way to power a car.

Old buddy of mine here fired a ten sack pot back in the 60s with coal oil, two hundred gallons a week in fuel use. To run a ten sacker, but he said it beat hell out of cutting wood to fire it.

And then the sugar issue in the alky, it could spell disaster for a engine.
Don't blow your kids lunch money for things they may never need.
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 5:58am
Good points bebo, would be a good disinfectant though. For both internal and external use!
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:15am
Keep a good inventory of what you have, paper and pencil is cheap. Restock as you use your items.

If you have a printer, make a list of last minute things to get. If you can, have the cash on hand to buy these things, you better figure double the normal price though.

Keep the list and cash, together, if TSHTF, haul ass to get the stuff. My list and cash is in my truck, in a old can under the seat. Not much cash by todays standards, but $500 is a LOT to me.
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:02am
I think if you wait just  a little bit to long you better plan on a lot more then just double the price!   Timing is everything.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:46pm
For 500 bucks, you can get some first and second generation night vision devices, some driveway monitors, and night vision black and white cameras.

Handy items, just to look and see without getting out of the bed. I can look at a TV in my room and see what's up.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 1:04pm
Check with dry cleaner services, sometimes they have good things, never picked up, and will sell them very cheap. Sleeping bags, covers, and clothes.

Put some nutmeg powder in your first aid kit, does wonders on a toothache.

White vinegar will kill the smell of poop in a bag, or the floor if you have pets. Teaches them not to do that inside.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 5:53pm
Bamasteve is right about unclaimed baggage, been there myself, never know what you will find.

I keep several new solar lights, one will give enough light to get around by.

I use a solar 12 volt charging panel, to keep big batteries charged, and to keep the jumper units charged also.

Harbor frieght and northern tools, have solar shed lights, they work OK, but kinda pricey. But they have a pull chain just like the old house lights had.

A bit of karo syrup will help a small child with constipation troubles, not over 1/4 teaspoon per 15 pounds body weight.

A good splash of vinegar in the dogs water will keep fleas off him.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic