Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Flu Season in Australia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flu Season in Australia
    Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:55pm
Hi Everyone,

We are just weeks away from the official start of this year's flu season in Australia.

My 11 y/o daughter went to school yesterday bright, happy and with no signs of impending flu. When I picked her up at 3pm she was white as a sheet, shivering and had a thumping head ache. She told me at lunchtime she suddenly felt dizzy and started sweating. She was taken to school sickbay for the afternoon (I'm a bit peeved the school didn't call me). When we got home she had a temp of 103.4 and was cramping in her legs, arms and shoulders.

Wife & I spent the night  cooling her down as this bug cycled through her. 3 hours of high temp, subsided to 99.5, then 2-3 relief, then back up to 103. This has gone on for 8 hours or so. She has woken this morning with audible crackling in her chest and slight discomfort when breathing .......needless to say we are off the Doc's when they open. 

I have never seen such an aggressive flu and hope this is not the start of a horror flu season here.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 5:42pm
Rickster, hope she gets better as quickly as possible - keep us informed, please.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:55pm
I trust that your daughter bounces back to health.

Thanks that you in Australia (and NZ)  serve as a "flu early warning system" for us in the northern part of this planet.
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:14pm
Any news Rickster?  Your poor daughter sounded terribly sick.  I hope things are improving.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 3:11pm
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your kind wishes for my daughter. She continued to have fluctuating high temp (around 103) for most of yesterday.  I started giving her sambucol yesterday morning http://www.sambucolaustralia.com/ and she has just woken up and says she is feeling much better. Her heavy chest is still there but her breathing has improved markedly. She made it through last night without any meds and has a normal temp this morning.

Speaking with others at her school yesterday I learned there are 5 other children similarly affected.

I am really impressed with how the sambucol (black elderberry) has improved her condition so quickly. I have been taking it myself, as an immune booster, for the last 2 years during flu season and I rarely get sick.

Once again, thank you all for your concerns.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 3:55pm
Good news - thanks for the update Thumbs Up
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
cyndi26 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyndi26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 5:21pm
Great news about ur daughter she was in my prayers!!!  B well and stay safe
cynmentzer26
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 7:03pm
Great news Rickster58! Nothing worse than a sick child to worry 10 years out of you! I have some Sambucol but it is "out of date". Wonder if I should purchase more?
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 7:28pm
I make an adult blackcurrant drink that my husband and I take at the first sign of a cold. It's easy and delicious: half fill a large jar with frozen blackcurrants then top right up with white rum. Put on a lid and shake violently every day for 40 days. I keep mine on the kitchen table so I can't forget to shake it. Then drain out the blackcurrants and add a good whack of sugar or honey and it's done. Keep in the dark and drink in small quantities. 

This drink could easily be made using elderberries or a mix of the two. The reason to freeze the berries first is so that as they defrost the skins split. Otherwise you'll have to prick them individually with a pin a few times. The vitamin C content of the blackcurrants transfers to the rum and so this drink really is a cold fighter. I'll try some with elderberries and let you know what it's like. By the way, don't throw away the blackcurrants, eat them with vanilla icecream but don't let the kids have any as they are extremely alcoholic!
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 7:57pm
definitely needs to be 'in date' for it to work.  I had some that was out of date and took it anyway to no avail when I got sick once.  Then I went out and bought a new bottle at CVS and got better almost right away when I began taking the new sambucol.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 8:34am
I am so glad to hear she is doing better! Keep us posted!
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 7:48pm
Just a quick update, my daughter has almost fully recovered. Her chest is clear and she is bright and perky. Two of the other girls who got this bug are still off school and three have returned.  She told me her friends that came back to school have still got symptoms though.  I hate it when parents send their kids back to school while they are still sick.
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:28am
Sambucol is great. So are massive doses of vitamin C start by taking thirteen pills do that every hour until you get diahrea then cut it in half until your stomach returns to normal. Another one China used during 1918 they claim limited the flu for them was devils dung or Ashswada, it is cheap comes in pill form, stays good a long time. I have seen Sambucol in pill form and am going to get some, dehydrating will pull out the time it can be used, if it is not being made due to infrastructure shut down, then the pills would be better then nothing. i think the liquid is far better.
I believe with influenza that the old standby of Echnecia is a really bad choice, it causes a cytokine storm, cytokines are good if they are controlled but deadly if they run rampant.  Vitamin D-3 also very good, needs to be taken in much higher doses then what the bottle says, you need at least eight to ten thousand mg just to maintain health. Zinc works well but can upset the stomach. 
If you can recognize healing plants the southwest has a weed called Mullinen which helps to break up flem in lungs.
You can grow some of this stuff around your home also.  Bee propalice, honey, anything that has to do with bees helps to heal illness. Collidial silver also excellent,  just make sure you use distilled water. Also remember that in the olden times, people put a cleaned silver dollar in their milk to keep it good. That works.
God Bless
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:30am
Sorry Rick, forgot to say, you and your whole family are in thoughts and prayers. Thanks for taking the time and caring enough to post, even when you were in the middle of a health crisis. The rapid onset scared me, it was a matter of hours on day one. Wow.
God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic