Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Texas-Alabama Link?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texas-Alabama Link?
    Posted: May 26 2013 at 5:29pm

Are Dothan, Houston mystery illnesses linked? 

The cases all come from nowhere.  They involve bright, energetic, athletic students.  They begin feeling feverish, exhausted, shaken. Then they experience violent seizures, are sent into a medically-induced coma.  And then, for two of the three afflicted students, they die.

The Houston Chronicle reports from early May are chilling.  Students 60 miles apart, with no apparent links, succomb to the same symptoms.

Now, in Dothan, Alabama, we are seeing a hauntingly familiar situation unfold.  With the exception of the seizures, the symptoms are strikingly similar.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 10:36pm
DOTHANEAGLE.COM

One illness fatality linked to H1N1 flu virus

Total cases increased to 9

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:44 pm | Updated: 4:54 pm, Wed May 22, 2013.

Posted on May 22, 2013

Officials with the local office of the state Department of Public Health said Wednesday that one of the two deaths that are part of a recent respiratory illness outbreak could be associated with the H1N1 flu virus.

Lesa C. Smith, a registered nurse with state Department of Public Health, also said the number of people admitted to local hospitals during the recent respiratory illness outbreak has increased from seven to nine.

Click Here!

“We can’t say that the person died with H1N1, but we can say it was a death associated with it,” Smith said. “A total of nine have been admitted. We know some people are recovering, and are going home.”

Corey Kirkland, a health department spokesperson, said the two deaths occurred Saturday and Sunday.

Several local state Department of Public Health officials held a press conference Tuesday morning to release information about a recent outbreak or “cluster” of respiratory illnesses to hit Southeast Alabama.

Smith said the three key symptoms area residents need to be on the lookout for includes shortness of breath, coughing and fever.

“We’re looking at those three things, but so far we don’t have a common factor among all of them,” Kirkland said. “There are many different types of respiratory disease. We haven’t pinned it down to one specific illness. Right now we’re looking for patients who are showing these symptoms.”

Kirkland said two of the people tested positive for specific viruses, which included the H1N1 flu virus. He said another person tested positive for the type A flu virus, which Smith said was the typical seasonal flu virus.

“We’re still in the investigative state, and we’re still waiting other tests to come back,” Kirkland said.

Health department officials have said all nine people admitted to local hospitals were within an eight-county southeast region, which includes Barbour, Coffee, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Henry, Houston and Pike County.

Kirkland confirmed officials with the state Department of Public Health sent out a guideline of information to hospitals in the area and to local physicians.

According to the filing found through the state Department of Health’s website, the state Department of Public Health was first notified of the respiratory illnesses last Thursday after a doctor reported three patients had been hospitalized with a cough, shortness of breath and pneumonia and were on ventilators, all of whom had no known cause for their illnesses.

At that point the Alabama Department of Public Health along with the Houston County Health Department started their investigation to interview the families about travel and exposure.

The filing also said one of the three patients tested positive on Friday for the 2009 H1N1 (flu virus). That patient died the next day. The same hospital reported a transferred patient on a ventilator with respiratory symptoms had died on Sunday.

The guideline sent out also said “while two patients have tested positive for influenza, the exact role of influenza in this cluster is unknown.”

Smith said the flu seasons can occur at any time of the year, but usually the worst ones come in January and February, and this year it went into April and May.

“There has been a late flu season before we started following this particular outbreak. This particular year it seems to be a late flu season,” Smith said. “But that does not mean this respiratory illness is the flu. We haven’t got enough labs back to determine if this is indeed what we’re dealing with.”

http:///www.dothaneagle.com/news/article_7a18c9cc-c320-11e2-a2d5-0019bb30f31a.html

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 6:12am
They may have had the flu, but it seems like officials are not convinced that's what caused the severe symptoms and deaths. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 6:56am
I once asked a friend of ours a high ranking military officer who was with northcom at the time, what he feared most as far as threats were concerned. His reply was "someone floating a bug". He went on to say " it will appear in one state one day, hours later a different one, the next day still another".  When I think back he did not say bio terror, that would be a marked area or areas where it began, he said one day here, next day there. I was totally into the H5n1 then so I only heard about clusters, and typical things thought of with a pan flu. Now today, i recall what was said bc it seems to be exactly what was said, one or two hear, texas, alabama, seatle, where tomorrow?
I knew he could only speak in abstract,not specifics so I did not push it, but it sure looks to be like something the military has expected. Almost a tease to a degree or a show of power but sprining up here and there.
On that note unrelated or is it, today the news announced that China has been able to hack into our security for weapons systems possibly compromising our military.  We seem to have so much going on now,so many enemies and power struggles.
This line of thinking would support what Albert posted, appears something is going on, no one wants to talk about. If there is no common denominator to these illness, and it comes out there is not, only a fool would think it was just luck of the draw that deadly illness of various different natures just so happened to pop up for no reason helter skelter.
If a enemy has found a way to sicken one or two folks with various illness here and there all of different origin, it would indeed cause a panic like no other. One virus even a bad one is a terrible threat but there is always the hope for a vaccine, on the other hand multiple virus that have high kill rates there is no defense. We are at the mercy of who ever is doing it. Think about it, even if none of the virus if that is what the agent is can not pass effectively but people everywhere have to fear the randomness of two picked here and there that becomes as effective as a sniper going freely from state to state fully able to kill with no pattern, nothing at all to even be able to watch for, scary stuff.
God Bless
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:46am
what concerns me is how many ppl in both China and ME and other countries test positive for H1N1 and then they find (in China/ME) that they had the new 'flu/virus' too.

It almost seems to me that someone has taken H1N1 and added another virus to it and that's what we're seeing.  And that explains why it's so much worse and why the false negatives, etc.

Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 5:57pm
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200073663810992252651.0004d96b6096833780da3&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=32.287133,120.498047&spn=6.499253,10.656738&z=6&source=embed

"someone floating a bug"

Go to this site and zoom in on the cases in Hangzhou. Tilt your head to the left.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200073663810992252651.0004d96b6096833780da3&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=32.287133,120.498047&spn=6.499253,10.656738&z=6&source=embed

"someone floating a bug"

Go to this site and zoom in on the cases in Hangzhou. Tilt your head to the left.

The bird's head is still there?  Wink
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 2:17pm
How many viruses do you know that can draw.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 2:28pm
I cant get to that site. The link comes back cant be found, what is it?
God Bless
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 2:51pm
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:22pm
I read a paper written by a student for his doctorate in veterinary med. from the U of Iowa. It was his belief that pigs as well as humans who got the h1n1 vaccine appeared to be more susceptible to other virus. He listed a bunch of medical jargon I really did not understand but that was the crux of the paper. Maybe that is the reason why it is appearing as if people in the usa are dying late in the flu season with hin1, just a thought, but sure a scary one, bc every old person, sick person, immune compromised person, or pregnant woman who was told they needed to be the first to receive it the vaccine, will according to this paper contract the disease easier the new virus that is, they will have a more virulent form and it will last longer the trifecta. This should be on the radar of our government bc it potentially effects so many people, I believe h1n1 was also at least a part of other influenza vaccines also. I have no idea if it would effect the ease in which one may contract the mers. We can only pray.
God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic