Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

why are they all covering it up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why are they all covering it up?
    Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:24am
well, I can say this very bluntly. Why does almost every country try to cover up cases of "new" diseases?
sms View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 11:17am
money
Loribearme View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loribearme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 6:50pm
How about the number of people that go to their doctor but they never get tested for what they have? 
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 8:58pm
How about the people who almost never go to the doctor because they've had lots of cold or flu in the past and have always gotten over it?
CStackDrPH View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by chris chris wrote:

well, I can say this very bluntly. Why does almost every country try to cover up cases of "new" diseases?

Money and politics. 

I worked with CDC when the HIV pandemic first exploded in the world (spread from Haitians to American gay men).  The prevailing thought at the time (under Pres. Reagan's administration) was this was a "gay man's problem" and wasn't taken very seriously. 

I was screaming that it was likely a bloodborne pathogen and would follow transmission patterns of Hepatitis B = drug users, heterosexual and homosexual sex transmission, etc.  I even predicted the awful concept of "blood as a weapon" and of infected individuals deliberately trying to spread the disease through promiscuous sex.  

My rants were met with glazed looks and stony silence.   Had we followed good prevention with what we should have known in the beginning, many thousands of lives would have been saved. 

When it comes to public health, never overestimate the brilliance of our elected leaders (nor their unelected counterparts in totalitarian countries).  They are all worried about the negative PR, possible uprisings and economic impacts to tourism, industries etc.    

Pride also figures into it....look at how the delayed reaction of the Saudis kept the world in the dark about MERS.  
CRS, DrPH
April Gardner View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote April Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 2:45am
I do not believe there is a cover-up. I believe that those who are studying the viruses do not know what to do because it is so volatile. The real issue is that you have to protect yourself and not depend on others for preventative measures. There are just too many people and too many issues. You have to think about yourself and those you care about and act responsively. Perhaps, you should watch the choices made by those who have more knowledge and then base your decision-making on their behaviors as pragmatic models. Examples: Stay away from buffets and eat at home. Wear a mask in a plane, train, and/or bus. Leave your shoes outside of your home.

There was a very interesting "Documentary" on the History Channel about 2 years ago: 'After Armageddon...Pandemic'. The theory was that 100 million people in the USA died by the 12th week of a flu pandemic. The time frame began from the point that the flu caused stocks to plummet abroad and not from any point of probable "incubation". The flu died out after 115 days (3 months). It is important to note that as of last week the Manila Times reported that certain imports from China have been banned.
If you calculate the "Documentary's" scenario, it is not .76 (reported for MERS this week), it is 1 infecting 5 with roughly 50% fatality. I am VERY concerned about FLUS coming from the East and West. They will converge in the USA. It is impossible that MERS is not here already. Think about Montreal and small pox in 1885.
Anyway, for anyone reading and going to the pharmacy remember that it is not the name of the product that matters it is the active ingredients. I suggest 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D per day, grocery shopping an hour before the store closes, and foaming hand cleaner: 1:1/hydrogen peroxide : anti-bacterial soap.
There isn't a vaccine and there isn't a viable test. That is why there aren't any answers.
Finally, the W.H.O. doctor in the film CONTAGION was named Dr. Mears...MERS. A fact I already  shared under the thread "Predictive Programming."
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote April Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 2:49am

Typo in my prior post...The flu died out after 4 months in the referenced "Documentary". Sorry...

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 5:00am
A cover-up and suppressing information are fairly similar.  I would say China has covered-up new cases i.e. no new h7 cases since April 21st and we were seeing 4-5 new new cases per day up until the abrupt end in reporting.  Up until that point, Chinese officials themselves estimated/announced there were an additional 90 - 120 that they had not yet identified, and then of course they arrested a dozen of their citizens for claiming a cover-up.  Chinese officials then stated they would stop releasing daily new cases and would do it weekly, which they never did, hence suppressing information. They simply stopped releasing information across the board with new cases and deaths.  We also never heard about the missing 38 hospitalized out of the 132 total cases, in addition to never learning about their symptoms, treatments, etc.... and then if we factor in that they waited 30 days to report the first h7n9 cases, along with their cover-up of the original SARS outbreak in 2003, which is widely known, well, I can assure you that communist China is withholding information.  In a very short period of time, China experienced economic losses of the outbreak to the tune of 6.5 billion.

So yes, China is undoubtedly covering-up/suppressing information.  Still Wondering whatever happened to the 38 patients still hospitalized.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 12:05pm
Albert do you think, therefore, that there are now hundreds of cases of H7N9 in China?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 12:45pm
Yes
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 12:50pm
I agree - it didn't stop spreading the day China stopped reporting.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 1:26pm
I feel like if there were hundreds of cases unreported it would have spread to a country that would have reported to the WHO by now. However I could be wrong.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 2:38pm
I'm also in agreement about the Chinese covering things up.  

When news of massive waterfowl and swine mortalities hit the news, my heart skipped a beat - this was, I was (and am) convinced, a signal event of a significant influenza reassortment:

However, the Chinese dissembled and blamed the swine mortalities upon an unrelated virus and polluted water etc.  Typical communist BS.  

Don't forget, the populace are quite afraid of retaliation by the communist party, so I am sure that many cases likely died in their homes rather than risk coming to the attention of the authorities.  No one has discussed this yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned on the Chinese underground web sites. 
CRS, DrPH
Rors View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 3:06pm
China definitely covered up, but if it is still rampant as we're fearing, shouldn't it have crossed the borders by now?
it could also still be circulating but to a lesser extent.
Next fall season will tell us
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Rors Rors wrote:

China definitely covered up, but if it is still rampant as we're fearing, shouldn't it have crossed the borders by now?
it could also still be circulating but to a lesser extent.
Next fall season will tell us

Not rampant (yet), but more prevalent among the Chinese.  As you know, Rors, vruses don't "disappear," they lay fallow in a reservoir population.  

The move by the Chinese government (closing down live-bird "wet markets") seems to have slowed down the animal-to-human transmission, but the virus is likely disseminated in both domestic and wild fowl.  

The Chinese poultry industry lost $billions due to the bad PR, and as with the old melamine/milk scandal, I think they had to scramble and "put a lid on it." 

We have no idea what may be happening over there.  Active cases might be sequestered from WHO for all we know.  One thing is for certain = this is likely to be more problematic than SARS was, since the virus disseminates into an avian reservoir.  
CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 3:56pm
just think the loss of "FACE" for the Chinese , the loss of confidence  in goods and food, also who

would want the stigma that goes with a PANDEMIC, the loss to stock markets  could ruin a country,

better you keep as quiet as you can and hope it breaks out in someone elses backyard , so they get

blamed.......
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 7:09pm
There are situations that could arise in life where I think it's a good idea to keep the populace in the dark. An example would be a giant asteroid on a collision course with earth. If there is nothing that can be done then why make the last few months on earth hell for everyone?

However, I'm not sure that a pandemic flu with a 25% mortality qualifies. I guess that if you know it's lethal, and that you have no where near enough medical supplies/beds/doctors to even make a dent in the number of cases you are expecting, and you also know that basic services will cease once enough people fail to report to work then are you better to keep it quiet for as long as possible and delay the inevitable panic that will follow such an announcement?

Perhaps you would keep quiet in order to ensure you and yours got the first pick of supplies? I wonder if there are chinese officials out there prepping like mad and moving their families out to their holiday homes for a long term stay?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

There are situations that could arise in life where I think it's a good idea to keep the populace in the dark. An example would be a giant asteroid on a collision course with earth. If there is nothing that can be done then why make the last few months on earth hell for everyone?

Well, if it was a giant asteroid whirling toward earth, we would survive that as well. No prob. 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Well, if it was a giant asteroid whirling toward earth, we would survive that as well. No prob. 

Personally, I'd want to know about it so I could prepare.  Death doesn't scare me.  

This is quite interesting....

BEIJING (AP) — A large fire broke out at a poultry farm and processing plant in northeastern China early Monday, charring much of the facility, trapping workers inside large concrete buildings and killing at least 55 people, reports and officials said.

...I think we are witnessing incredible stress upon this huge nation's food supply chain!  With the traditional wet-market retail outlets now completely closed down, the Chinese must be running their few meat processing plants at break-neck pace!  That's why stuff like this happens...

We can now see the logic of their purchase of Smithfield in the USA = access to food processing engineering.  I consult in that area, I should book a trip over to Shanghai!  My wife would slap me!!Angry
CRS, DrPH
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote April Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 3:31am
Smile We were informed by W.H.O. that MERS is, "...a threat to the entire world." That does not sound like a cover-up to me. As with anything else that is a probable threat, the masses of people do not pay attention and then claim in the end it was a "cover-up". How many people do you know heard the W.H.O. statement and went to the pharmacy and purchased basic masks? Probably few if any. There is a big difference between hearing and listening. I believe that cover-ups usually evolve as a an individual's excuse for not taking personal responsibility...like the people who lost their homes in the recent hurricane and blamed the "gov't" for them not having flood insurance. Regarding devastation from a pandemic, the population of Philadelphia is the same now as in 1918. That can be confirmed. The cities of 1918 mirror those of developing nations. ie. Industrial Revolution. As with anything else, we have been warned. Shop off hours, wear a mask at the movies and in public transportation. Better to appear a "fool" to the masses in public than one in a coffin. I will admit this, I do not like giving my birthdate to purchase over the counter cold/flu medicine.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:37am
Good posts April Gardner, and glad to have you here.   You should register sometime on the forum, although not necessary whatsoever. 

Welcome to you as well Chris.  Again - Good posts. 
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Still Wondering whatever happened to the 38 patients still hospitalized.

Personally, I'd prefer not to know what happened to them in a country that has euthanasia trucks and people flush babies down the toilet where they get stuck in the pipes and that's a *COMMON* occurrence.

I honestly don't want to know.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 9:14am
Originally posted by CStackDrPH CStackDrPH wrote:

[QUOTE=Albert]
BEIJING (AP) — A large fire broke out at a poultry farm and processing plant in northeastern China early Monday, charring much of the facility, trapping workers inside large concrete buildings and killing at least 55 people, reports and officials said.

...I think we are witnessing incredible stress upon this huge nation's food supply chain!  With the traditional wet-market retail outlets now completely closed down, the Chinese must be running their few meat processing plants at break-neck pace!  That's why stuff like this happens...

I dunno, re-read that news report with a raised eyebrow.

Exactly why would a chicken farm/processing plant mysteriously burn down with all hands aboard in the midst of a potential pandemic that the Chinese government is trying to cover up?
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 11:54am
I believe the point is the farm was more then likely razed to try to control the influenza the authorities are calling it a accident in order to avoid panic.
God Bless
JorgeFoto View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JorgeFoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 12:07pm
I agree as it seems so random that this would happen now with all that is going on. I believe the death count is over a hundred people. 
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong."
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by debbiencusa debbiencusa wrote:

I believe the point is the farm was more then likely razed to try to control the influenza the authorities are calling it a accident in order to avoid panic.

And bingo was her name-o

Hammer, meet nail.

Stomps on floor.

My bet is that the people "killed" there were either already dead or were locked in and the place set ablaze.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 12:59pm
LOL LOL great work
God Bless
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 1:00pm
 Old article of Niman  If it's true  the  burning of this farm is there MO

Chinese Government's 
Answer To Containing 
H5N1 & Recombinants - 
"Make Villages Disappear!" 
Three Villages Razed In Qinghai After H5N1 Bird Flu Riots?

By Dr. Henry L. Niman, PhD
Recombinomics.com
8-3-5

According to the Qinghai Bulletin Board Service (BBS), the state of emergency imposed on the farming community and its surroundings in the Northwestern Qinghai City / Town of Yushu was lifted on the night of 28th July.

When natives living further from the area made a trip to the farming community, they discovered that it had "vanished" together with 3 of its surrounding villages. Only some ruins, blocks from collapsed walls, remained. Apparently, the farms and villages had been flattened and there were signs that they had been razed.

It is believed that some inhabitants from those 3 villages were workers in the farm. Around 200 people were estimated to have inhabited or worked in those 3 villages and the farm. There whereabouts are, as yet, unknown.

The above translation of a boxun report suggest that three villages were razed in response to unrest linked to a forced bird flu quarantine in Yushu in northwestern Qinghai in China. China has imposed news blackouts and arrested reporters in the past, so verifiable news from the area is difficult to obtain.

News outside of China however, points toward a virulent strain of H5N1 linked to Qinghai Lake has killed ducks and geese in several areas of southern Siberia in Russia as well as the adjacent region in Kazakhstan. There are now reports of five suspected cases of H5N1 in Kazakhstan linked to infected geese, suggesting many similar cases would be possible in Qingahi and Xinjiang provinces in China, where there have been three outbreaks linked to migratory birds and all involved dead geese.

Although it is possible that the ability to infect humans has been recently acquired, boxun reports in May and June described human fatalities in the Qinghai Lake region. In addition, several strains of H5N1 capable of infecting humans were also described.

The news blackout in China as well as additional suspect cases in neighboring Sichuan province which may be spreading further south to Yunnan province has suggested that a raging H5N1 pandemic in China is being covered-up.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 2:33pm
funny how we all seemed to have the same idea about the "Chicken plant"

my ears certainly pricked up,

did'nt say anything,  thought i was being a bit "paranoid",

maybe not eh??.............

April Gardner...spot on!!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 3:04pm
April, why do you have to give your date of birth for over the counter meds?
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 6:57pm
I don't believe in a major conspiracy with the chicken plant fire, considering that it could derail the multi-billion dollar acquisition of Smithfield Farms in the USA. 

I consult on the design of plants such as that, and my clients have included the largest poultry processors in the USA and Europe.  Chinese tend to chain doors shut to prevent theft of product, machinery, tools etc.  

If they had an ammonia leak, their ammonia refrigeration system blew open.  Ammonia gas is flammable, and I'm willing to bet that the plant used substandard materials of construction (wood, tar paper etc.) so it burned like a lamp.  

A plant run too hard....lots of chickens need to be killed, processed and eaten.  I can't imagine what the populace is going through, they hate processed meats & much prefer to buy the live bird.  We have live-bird "wet markets" in Chicago, they are quite disgusting, but very popular with Asian, African and Caribbean customers. 

CRS, DrPH
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 7:47pm

119 dead in Chinese poultry plant fire

• 119-dead-in-chinese-poultry-page-7.jpg

Firefighters put out the blaze at the Baoyuan poultry plant that caught fire in Dehui, northeast China's Jilin province on Monday. (AFP)

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Last Update 3 June 2013 11:14 pm

BEIJING: Fire raged through a poultry plant in northeastern China yesterday, trapping workers inside a cluttered slaughterhouse and killing at least 119 people, reports and officials said.
Several dozen people also were hurt in the blaze in Jilin province’s Mishazi township, which appeared to have been sparked by three early morning explosions, the official Xinhua News Agency said. The provincial fire department, on its microblog, attributed the blasts to a leak of ammonia, a gas that is kept pressurized as part of the cooling system in meat processing plants.
The fire was one of China’s worst industrial disasters in recent years, with the death toll the highest since a September 2008 mining cave-in that claimed 281 lives.
State broadcaster CCTV quoted unidentified workers as saying the fire broke out during a change of shifts and may have originated in a locker room at a time when about 350 workers were at the plant, owned by Jilin Baoyuanfeng Poultry Co.
It wasn’t clear how many workers had been accounted for and a provincial government media official, who refused to give his name, said he expected the death toll to rise further as more bodies were recovered from the charred building.
The plant’s “complicated” interior, narrow exits and a locked front gate made escape difficult, Xinhua quoted survivors as saying.
Some employees raised the alarm shortly after a shift began at 6 a.m., and then the lights went out, boosting the level of panic as workers rushed to find an exit, employee Wang Fengya told Xinhua.

“When I finally ran out and looked back at the plant, I saw high flames,” Wang, 44, was quoted as saying. Xinhua said she and three other workers were sent to a hospital in the nearby provincial capital of Changchun.
Another worker quoted by Xinhua, 39-year-old Guo Yan, said the emergency exit at her workstation could not be opened and she was knocked to the ground in the crush of workers seeking to escape through a side door.
“I could only crawl desperately forward,” Guo was quoted as saying. “I worked alongside an old lady and a young girl, but I don’t know if they survived or not.” The newspaper Southern Metropolis Daily, known for its aggressive reporting, said the accident occurred in a factory building where chickens were being dismembered. The newspaper, on its microblog, reported that the fire spread rapidly, with industrial boilers exploding, and only a side door to the building was open with the rest of the exits locked.

It quoted an unidentified worker as saying the fire engulfed the building in three minutes, leaving too little time for many to flee.
The disaster killed 119 people, and 54 people were being treated in hospitals, the provincial government said on its microblog. Calls to fire and rescue services rang unanswered and hospital administrators said they had no information about the injured.
By about noon, the fire had been mostly extinguished by about 500 firefighters, and bodies were being recovered from the charred buildings. CCTV footage showed dark smoke billowing up from the prefabricated cement structures topped with corrugated iron roofs.
The fire highlighted the lax safety standards at many Chinese workplaces, despite efforts to compel improvements through regular inspections and fines.
It could also focus renewed scrutiny on China’s biggest pork producer, Shuanghui International — unrelated to the poultry plant — as it aims to buy US food giant Smithfield in what would be China’s biggest takeover of an American company.
The poultry plant is one of several in the area where chickens are slaughtered and then quickly cut up into pieces and shipped to market. The entire process takes place in near-freezing conditions and such plants are usually built with large amounts of flammable foam insulation to maintain a constant temperature.
Jason Yan, technical director in Beijing of the US Grains Council, said safety considerations usually take a backseat in China to features designed to maximize production and energy efficiency.
“I’m sure they consider some aspects of safety design. However, I think safety, to me, is not the first priority in their design plan,” Yan said.
Jilin Baoyuanfeng produces 67,000 tons of processed chicken per year and employs about 1,200 people. The plant is located outside the city of Dehui, about 800 km (500 miles) northeast of China’s capital, Beijing.
Established in 2009, the company serves markets in 20 cities nationwide and has won numerous awards for its contribution to the local economy, according to introductions posted online.
The area where the fire occurred is an agribusiness center, especially for poultry. Nearby is one of the biggest producers of broiler chickens in China, Jilin Deda Co., which is partly owned by Thailand-based conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group.
Monday’s fire hit a company that is much smaller than Jilin Deda. Though it’s unlikely to have an impact on China’s chicken supply, the accident came as chicken producers were seeing sales recover after an outbreak of a deadly new strain of bird flu, H7N9, briefly scared the public in April and early May.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 6:16pm
The USA does not like to tell the whole story either, this is one example

drug resistant microbes:
MRSA, Acinetobacter baumannii, C. Difficile, VRE, etc.

"Irresponsible medicine"

Early this year  (2006) an outbreak of MDR Acinetobacter baumannii
swept over Arizona, 236 cases in just two months. It was reported by the
state disease monitoring systems, but ignored on the national level.

Now dubbed "Supergerms", they spread without warning and seemingly
without official notices since they are infections instead of diseases. The
government is taking advantage of this technicality.

An ICU nurse at Bethesda Naval in Washington DC leaves work feeling
under the weather.  Within 24 hours she is in a community hospital,
intubated, with Acinetobacter baumannii.  It was determined that the
bacteria were acquired from a patient at work.  She succumbed to the
infection quickly and with no fan fare.  The story went silent.

At Brook Army Medical Center in Texas a soldier fights for his life, as his
combat wounds are made worse by infections the doctors can't seem to
handle. The only reason his story is known is that his civilian girl friend
speaks up for him.  

This outbreak that is spreading nation wide is largely due to the war in
Iraq, and because of a legal technicality in reporting, the military and
CDC will not discuss it publicly.

More people come forward, bit by bit, telling stories of how the hospital
played down their infection. The one person who could have done
something about it, "Rep. Dennis Moore" has walked away from the
issue deciding it wasn't worth getting into even after what he had seen
on a visit to Walter Reed.

This silent killer is continuing to spread, and to an indifferent country
until it's YOUR turn.   These bacteria will grow out of control in the near
future as it spreads through neglect.

Every VAMC in this country that had a soldier from Iraq in it is
contaminated with MDR AB, as simple as a doorknob or privacy curtain
to pass it on.  Doctors often work at VA hospitals and community
hospitals also.  

As long as it doesn't have to be reported it will not be.

You're on your own America, until you say enough is enough.

Focus On Acinetobacter Surveillance

Comments posted March 4th 2006

By September 2004 the Department of Defense had collected 934
positive Acinetobacter baumannii cultures from 432 persons. This
reported from the Navy Environmental Health Center in Bethesda.

On September 21st, 2004 the Armed Forces Epidemiology Board met.
They talked about Acinetobacter baumannii with 350 colonized soldiers
as well as 200 infections.

Yet, the CDC / DOD only announced 102 infection cases in the
November 19th, 2004 MWMR report:

85 of the cases were OIF/OEF

Landstuhl Regional Medical Center   33      

Walter Reed Army Medical Center   45  

U.S. Navy hospital ship Comfort       11

National Naval Medical Center           8  

Brooke Army Medical Center            5

By August 2005 Forbes reported that at least 280 cases of infection had
been reported.  The DOD stodgily stood by public statements of 112
infections.

The argument from CHPPM / MEDCOM is that colonized soldiers are a
different story from infected soldiers.  A colonized soldier however is still
a carrier. CHPPM is also trying to say since this is just an infection they
don't have to report it like infectious disease. They are not cooperating
to provide any updated statistics on it because of a directive at
MEDCOM stating they do not want to expose military vulnerabilities
publicly.

So its going to take a Congressional Inquiry to CHPPM in order to get a
true idea of just how many cases of Acinetobacter baumannii there are
in the military. That and how many are carriers. Spreading this infection
from one hospital to another in America.

Here is one example:

A soldier dies in VA care at the James A. Haley Medical Center in Tampa
Florida, in December 2004. He had extensive surgery in Iraq and was
medivac'd to Landstuhl, Germany, Bethesda MD, and finally JHMC. This
was head, chest, and abdomen trauma. After his death it was
determined that he had tested positive twice for the Acinetobacter, which
would have changed the clinical outcome if
they had treated for it. (Page 22 of IG report)

What about the 7 cases at Tripler Army Medical Center in Hawaii? Why
were Chief Warrant Officer 3 Claude Boushey Sr.'s case and others not
discussed? That was July 2004.

In other cases, family members cannot get the medical records of their
deceased soldiers. Many have died from non-combat injuries that the
Pentagon is unwilling to disclose information about even to the parents.  
These stall tactics keep anyone but the military from knowing how many
died of complications that the Acinetobacter baumannii contributed too.

More than likely OIF troops walking into any Veteran Affairs Medical
Center are possible colonized cases that contaminate that facility.

This is a national threat to public health safety that the Department of
Defense has taken a very lax position on. What the public doesn't know
wont hurt them, which is certainly not true with a drug resistant bacteria
that can be passed with as little as a handshake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Superbug hits Canadian soldiers injured in suicide bombing
Thu, 23 Feb 2006

Master Cpl. Paul Franklin of Halifax lost a leg, Cpl. Jeffrey Bailey from
Edmonton had devastating head injuries, and Pte. William Salikin of
Grand Forks, B.C., also suffered a head injury.

The three soldiers were first taken to a U.S. military hospital in
Landstuhl, Germany. When they left a week later, all three men were
infected with drug-resistant bacteria.

Medical specialists aren't certain whether most infections started in the
battlefield or the hospital.  
"It's thought that they may have gotten it from going through the hospital
in Landstuhl," said Lt.-Col. Henry Flaman, a Canadian military doctor in
Edmonton.

Acinetobacter baumannii has become one of the most common sources
of infections among American troops wounded in Iraq.
The bacteria are found in soil and water in Iraq. When the microbes
enter traumatic wounds in the battlefield, the superbug can cause
serious damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Iraq Infection
Forbes Magazine - August 2nd 2005

NEW YORK - Military doctors are fighting to contain an outbreak of a
potentially deadly drug-resistant bacteria that apparently originated in
the Iraqi soil. So far at least 280 people, mostly soldiers returning from
the battlefield, have been infected, a number of whom contracted the
illness while in U.S. military hospitals.

Most of the victims are relatively young troops who were injured by the
land mines, mortars and suicide bombs that have permeated the Iraq
conflict. No active-duty soldiers have died from the infections, but five
extremely sick patients who were in the same hospitals as the injured
soldiers have died after being infected with the bacteria, Acinetobacter
baumannii.

Acinetobacter baumannii Infections  
Military Medical Facilities  
Treating Injured U.S. Service Members, 2002--2004

From January 1, 2002 to August 31, 2004, military health officials
identified 102 patients with blood cultures of Acinetobacter baumannii at
military medical facilities treating service members injured in Afghanistan
and the  
Iraq/Kuwait region.  

Most of the infections were reported from  

Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany  

33 patients: 32 OIF/OEF casualties, one non-OIF/OEF, and Walter Reed
Army Medical Center (WRAMC), District of Columbia  

45 patients: 29 OIF/OEF casualties, 16 non-OIF/OEF.   

The Acinetobacter Baumanii strain was isolated to the soil in Iraq, and
enters through dirty battle field wounds or  serious infections (
Pneumonia ). The British Health  Protection Agency was the first to
publicly identify this in  March 2003, and DOD waited till November 2004
to  recognize it after the CDC posted the findings of the 102 cases.

Cases of Cutaneous Leishmaniasis at Walter Reed Army Hospital also
showed up with Acinetobacter baumannii.

One person from there wants to meet others who were there to share
stories.  

Marcie Hascall Clark
       junglem@yahoo.com  
                 321 779 6799
Jan 11, 11:30 PM
Iraq still hostile for civilians
BY R. NORMAN MOODY
FLORIDA TODAY

SATELLITE BEACH -- The scars on Merlin Clark's right arm
and the brace and heavy sock he must wear on his left leg
are evidence of his serious injuries.

Merlin Clark stands by the door to the patio at his home in
South Patrick Shores. His leg was injured in Iraq while he
was working there as a civilian. Image by Emily Barnes,
FLORIDA TODAY
It's a constant reminder of the explosion that shattered his
leg and left three other civilians injured as they worked
disarming landmines and disposing of explosives in Iraq.

"We were really, really lucky it didn't hit somebody in a vital
part," he said.

Clark is an example of a growing group of civilians working
for private companies who do reconstruction work in
post-war countries. Some are medics, some builders.
Clark's job for Ronco Consulting Corp. was to dispose of
any unexploded bombs in a field north of Baghdad, so other
workers could restore electrical power.

The company specializes in clearing mine fields and has
worked around the globe. Clark had 22 years of experience
working in bomb disposal, including nine years in a Navy
ordnance unit. And while he knows his craft, conditions in
Iraq were different. This was very much still a war. He was
now a civilian.

Clark had worked in the former Yugoslavia, Albania, three
African nations, Peru, Ecuador and Nicaragua. But those
places were different. Bullets had stopped flying when he
landed to begin his work.

He entered Iraq on May 2, 2003, a day after President Bush
declared the end of major hostilities.

But the teams had to move quickly to avoid being targets of
insurgents as they cleared mines south of Baghdad, farm
fields elsewhere and the power line area north of the city.

The explosion that changed his life happened only a few
feet from him. Clark was taken to a field surgical hospital,
then on to Germany. He was transferred to Walter Reed
Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., where he spent
three weeks before being sent for treatment to Orlando
Regional Medical Center.

It took 13 1/2 hours of surgery at Walter Reed to save his
leg.

"They took good care of me," he said. "They were great
people."

Clark cannot return to the work he likes, but after nearly a
year, he's back working from his home. He writes proposals
for the same company and helps to gather resources for
new projects.

Because of a lot of out-of-pocket expenses, the Clarks have
dried up their savings, his wife, Marcie Clark, said.

"We're having to start over financially," she said.

His injuries mean no more bomb disarming, which requires
steady movement.

"My hand is still messed up and my hearing is shot," Clark
said as he held out his right hand. "I don't think I can trust
my right hand."

Contact Moody at 242-3651 or nmoody@...
God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic