Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Fun For The Summer!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun For The Summer!!!
    Posted: June 02 2013 at 2:15pm
What are you doing for fun this summer. We have so much bad news going around I think it is time for FUN!!!!

I plan on doing some swimming, gardening, taking a course on how to break down and clean my AR-15 and a course on how to reload ammo, setting up my reloading area.

I am in my 60's and to keep my mind going I am taking these courses to keep my brain in good shape. Learn something new and you will keep sharp!

So what are you guys doing this summer for fun!
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 2:43pm
For the first two weeks of August, taking a nice vacation to Mexico! I'll be going regardless of the H7/MERS situation at the time. I'll be prepared at the airport either way.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 2:54pm
Amongst other things, Boy Scout summer camp up in the mountains for a week, and I'm sure we'll fit in a few more family camping trips when we can. We're only a few miles from the beach, so I'm sure we'll be heading there at some point - overnight camping in the RV if there's space down there would be fun.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 6:48pm
It'll be winter here during your summer and my boys (aged 6 and 9) have been researching how to build an igloo. We had 14 inches of snow fall in one day last July and it was great. My kitchen looked like a chinese laundry with all those dripping coats, hats etc but we love the snow. 

We'll probably put on snow chains and head up Mt Cook for some serious tobogganing, we meant to last year but never got round to it.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 1:38pm
Planning my youngest daughters wedding. I am in a real quandary here and need advise ladies and gents. I have told her about the virus going around, but have not shown the true extent to which I am concerned because I do react to these things more then most people and I am aware of that. I know that the numbers are that in a pandemic about 30% of the population contract the illness the other 70% do not, the 60% that pass away is from the thirty percent that catch it.
Therefore the numbers if they remain that way, mean the far greater majority will survive. However Sip does not allow for weddings that bring people in from around the country. Her wedding I believe will be beautiful, but could be a way different one then the one we have planned and paid for. Should I just let it go and not risk over shadowing what is supposed to be one of the most happy times of her life or should I let her know in advance the odds of this happening as it is being planned are not good to prepare her for the truth of what I see is to come??? My fear is, if I talk about the worst case scenario and it does not happen for any number of reasons, I will take the rap for ruining her time, which can not be recaptured. I am so torn, I just have no clue and would appreciate your advise if you would please put yourself in both my shoes and hers, think about it and write what you think. Thanks in advance friends, I come to you all btw bc my extended family and real life friends refuse to think of this stuff and would most certainly tell me I was wrong to let any of this effect what we and she is doing in regard to the big day. You all see things through the eyes of someone who is in the know, that is what I need.
God Bless
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 2:28pm
What time of year and how big is the wedding?  If it's around the corner I would go ahead but with a few requests.  Firstly, go buffet with servers. Less spread of germs.. Bussers  removing drink glasses. Bartender one drink per glass, keeps there hands clean, suggest smaller gathering, If you want to be totally forward,have hand santizer  at reception hall and have it manned. If anyone squawks about it too bad.   I'm one of the biggest germ neurotics going. When I have visitors at my home I  have them wash there hands... at first I was embarrassed, but now I just do whats right for me.

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 3:20pm
Debbie, I don't think you should say anything to your daughter at the moment but that you should act quickly with some precautions:

1. Get event insurance. Discuss this with an insurance company and set your own parameters. ie, the wedding reception will have to be cancelled if there are MERS or H7N9 cases in your state, or whatever you want to set the parameters at. Get insured so you can cancel easily and get all your money back. Don't be fobbed off with a standard policy, insist on setting your own but do take advice from them. You need to be happy with the policy you take out.

2. Plan for worse case: let's say Mers is cropping up all over, then you can discuss with your daughter the idea of going ahead with the wedding ceremony with only the celebrant, them and you present, but delaying the reception and having a blessing at a later date when everyone can safely attend and then you can do all the fancy flowers / food / dancing etc. She can wear her wedding dress to both events. The same goes with insuring and delaying the honeymoon.

From my experience the actual getting married is the important bit and so long as that can go ahead then the party can wait. My brother married in Jamaica with no one present but had a big wedding when they got home.

But don't ruin her plans right now as nothing may happen. Just be ready to be gentle but firm in the event of a pandemic. I know you can get this sort of insurance because my uncle took it out over his daughters very expensive wedding, and you can write the ticket yourself.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:29pm
Deb let it go on as planned. I am going back to my home state, flying at the end of the month just doing it. We have to go on with life until we really know TSHTF.

If there are huge amounts of death which I hope it will not happen then people will not come anyway.

So plan and have a good time... God and AFT members will keep you informed. We have your back so go ahead and enjoy this all may be a tempest in a tea pot.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:42pm
Thank you all so very much. My heart was so heavy you have all helped me so much by lifting a huge burden. You are all correct I feel peace in my heart, I will go ahead as flumom says and not freak her out. I agree if it gets bad no one will come. I agree to have the food served, picked up the way that was suggested buffet style but served by the caterer and bartenders using clean fresh glasses I will indeed have hand sanitizer, may have even come up with a real cute idea for a favor a small bottle of sanitizer in a cute little bag with a drawstring. I never thought of this Kiwi but insurance is the key, I will get insurance then we can plan to our hearts content and do so worry free. I agree with how to present it to her if the worst happens.
I appreciate you all so much, you are brilliant and have truly made a huge difference in my life and my daughters even though she is unaware I will tell her when it is all over. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, you are all a God send. You will never know, the stress you have alleviated. I wish I could repay you for what you have given me, but peace of mind has no price. Thanks again, Debbie XO
God Bless
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 9:13pm
Even though we do not know each other in person we are here to help you just as any friend would Deb. We all have a large amount of experience in many areas and we all are very practical people. So rest easy and we will be here for you in any questions.

Relax have a great time... a wedding should be fun but as my best friend is going through it with her daughter this summer I know you will never relax...LOL!   TRY to have fun and relax it all turns out wonderful, I know I use to cater and it is all good!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 9:27pm
KiwiMum, it is sooooo strange to think of snow in July!!!

Is it strange to think of snow at Christmas for the Northern Hemisphere?

CStackDrPH View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Deb let it go on as planned. I am going back to my home state, flying at the end of the month just doing it. We have to go on with life until we really know TSHTF.

If there are huge amounts of death which I hope it will not happen then people will not come anyway.

So plan and have a good time... God and AFT members will keep you informed. We have your back so go ahead and enjoy this all may be a tempest in a tea pot.

I agree with Flumom!  Go for it, I don't think we are that close to widespread dissemination of a new virus for a while.  Event planning insurance is a good idea.   

If I hear of anything, this forum will be the first to know.  H7N9 is in the ecosystem, so it might emerge in months or years....we cannot predict.  And, MERS is under a huge microscope of scrutiny, I'm not as worried about that one since we were able to react so swiftly to SARS.

Happy Wedding Day! Clap
CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:24pm
I agree with the above posts - we'll have warning of any significant changes in MERS (or H7N9 for that matter) and it'll be on one of our sites in a heartbeat. Enjoy the wedding safe in the knowledge that you're ready for anything (unlike the vast majority of the population) and take comfort in the fact that we're all scanning the horizon and looking out for each other. On the bright side, there are no guarantees that any of the viruses we're watching now will make it to pandemic form, so hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
Preppers prep - sheeple panic Wink
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
jody05/005 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05/005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:55pm
a big part of a wedding IS thinking about it and planning.  let her enjoy. if god forbid things do go bad at least she will have had the joy of doing the planning.
HOPE
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 7:24pm
Flumom, even though Christmas is hot and sunny here, people still put fake snow on their windows and shop windows have snowy scenes in them. The Christmas cards all have snow on them. It's very odd. I live in North Canterbury and we have extremely variable weather being right next to the mountains. We never know until Christmas Eve what the weather will be like for Christmas day, it could be the gale force Nor'wester that blow through here so strongly and hotly that you can't go out side and the temperature gets up into the high 30's, or it could be cold and raining, or just a scorching hot summers day.

I always get in food for both types of weather, a roast for the cold and prawns for the heat. The last couple have been scorchers and we eat out on our shady South facing verandah (the cold side of the house) wearing swimmers and shorts. The boys open their presents from Santa in the morning and from us in the afternoon and we spend the day in and out of the pool. If it's cold we light the fire and stay in. 

My children ask me every year if it's going to snow at Christmas. Normally on Christmas eve they ask if it'll snow overnight!!! It doesn't get dark until 10.30pm so it's really hard to see the fairy lights on the tree but we still have them. You see lots of people here in Santa hats and swimwear. I have hundreds of Christmas songs on my ipod and we play them non stop for the whole of December and it's quite normal to hear us singing Let it snow let it snow let it snow or jingle bells even though it's baking hot outside. Canterbury was only settled in 1850 by the British so I guess we are an odd mix of old world and new.

We all know that since that Santa comes to New Zealand first as we are the first people to go into Christmas Day. We leave out mince pies and whisky and carrots. Last year his sleigh crashed into our chimney and scattered sleigh bells on the roof and one of the reindeers pooed on the roof too. With the help of a long ladder the boys were on the roof examining the evidence!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 11:29pm
It all sounds wonderful KiwiMum.    I once lived in Florida and Christmas was just not Christmas in the hot but if you are raised that way it is normal!

I love Santa spilling the bells and reindeer poo.....Santa needs to be careful next year!   Your boys will have wonderful memories. Memories are all you have left so make many of them!
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 5:14am
Fun For The Summer.. Reminds me of the Ant and The Grasshopper!

Once there lived an ant and a grasshopper in a grassy meadow.

All day long the ant would work hard, collecting grains of wheat from the farmer's field far away. She would hurry to the field every morning, as soon as it was light enough to see by, and toil back with a heavy grain of wheat balanced on her head. She would put the grain of wheat carefully away in her larder, and then hurry back to the field for another one. All day long she would work, without stop or rest, scurrying back and forth from the field, collecting the grains of wheat and storing them carefully in her larder.

The grasshopper would look at her and laugh. 'Why do you work so hard, dear ant?' he would say. 'Come, rest awhile, listen to my song. Summer is here, the days are long and bright. Why waste the sunshine in labour and toil?'

The ant would ignore him, and head bent, would just hurry to the field a little faster. This would make the grasshopper laugh even louder. 'What a silly little ant you are!' he would call after her. 'Come, come and dance with me! Forget about work! Enjoy the summer! Live a little!' And the grasshopper would hop away across the meadow, singing and dancing merrily.

Summer faded into autumn, and autumn turned into winter. The sun was hardly seen, and the days were short and grey, the nights long and dark. It became freezing cold, and snow began to fall.

The grasshopper didn't feel like singing any more. He was cold and hungry. He had nowhere to shelter from the snow, and nothing to eat. The meadow and the farmer's field were covered in snow, and there was no food to be had. 'Oh what shall I do? Where shall I go?' wailed the grasshopper. Suddenly he remembered the ant. 'Ah - I shall go to the ant and ask her for food and shelter!' declared the grasshopper, perking up. So off he went to the ant's house and knocked at her door. 'Hello ant!' he cried cheerfully. 'Here I am, to sing for you, as I warm myself by your fire, while you get me some food from that larder of yours!'

The ant looked at the grasshopper and said, 'All summer long I worked hard while you made fun of me, and sang and danced. You should have thought of winter then! Find somewhere else to sing, grasshopper! There is no warmth or food for you here!' And the ant shut the door in the grasshopper's face.

It is wise to worry about tomorrow today.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 3:14pm
This story is why I prep. My mother told it to me at a very young age. However, many of us are very prepped and I can tell you from personal experience no matter how prepped or not prepped you maybe people die and very suddenly.   

So I take my late husband's saying and follow it every day, "Make memories because in the end memories are all we have left."   

99.9% of us on this Forum are Ants and we must remember that life goes on and we must live day to day enjoying our lives. I hope you have some fun this summer Coyote because this may be your or my last time to have fun with our families.   We must keep perspective.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 3:38pm
Thanks again dear friends, I am taking all your advise, will get the insurance, my husband especially thanks you for easing my over active mind. LOL
God Bless
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 3:11am
Flumom said:

"Make memories because in the end memories are all we have left."   

99.9% of us on this Forum are Ants and we must remember that life goes on and we must live day to day enjoying our lives. I hope you have some fun this summer Coyote because this may be your or my last time to have fun with our families.   We must keep perspective.

Hi Flumom so true!! Yes me and the wife will be having some fun this summer, enjoying the pool and also like to go out to eat..We really don't go away for vacations anymore..Too expensive and tied down with my farming chores and other obligations..Also just don't like to drive very far these days and like to be close to home.Pretty much home bodies I guess, anyway best to ya and everyone else here! God Bless Dan
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 11:36am
Coyote
We don't get away for vacations either due to milking etc. We go on great day trips instead like up into the mountains to the hot springs at Hanmer or down to French Akaroa for a day on the beach.

Last summer we built our own campsite in a far corner of our farm. We mowed a big section for a couple of weeks and then fixed up a water supply to it, we put up a small pool, our safari tent, a bathroom tent with our compost loo in it, a badmington court and a swingball. Then we went on holiday! We spent a week there. We were able to nip home if we needed anything, we could still milk etc there was just no tv and we cooked on a bbq. It was a holiday at home!
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 4:11am
to you Kiwimum and your way of life..We now have Kale,leaf lettuce, and Collard greens ready to eat from our gardens..Can't wait for the Heirloom Beefsteaks! Best Coyote..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic