Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

INDIA SEALS OFF B.F.TOWN OF NAVAPUR/ Feb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INDIA SEALS OFF B.F.TOWN OF NAVAPUR/ Feb
    Posted: March 05 2006 at 11:32pm

India seals off 'bird flu town'
Officials in India's Maharashtra state have begun sealing off an entire town where bird flu has been discovered.

No-one will be allowed in or out of Navapur, which has a population of nearly 30,000, or 19 nearby villages.

The measures come after reports that blood samples from people in hospital have tested positive for bird flu. Health officials deny the reports.

Hundreds of thousands of birds are being culled after deadly H5N1 bird flu was found in Navapur last week. 

Health Ministry officials say tests on 90 of 95 people for bird flu have proved negative.

The other five samples, taken from 12 people who have been quarantined with flu-like symptoms in Maharashtra, are being tested further. Results are expected on Thursday.

"We do not rule out the possibility of humans being affected, and it is a distinct possibility," Health Secretary PK Hota told reporters in Delhi.

'Safe to eat'

Chicken and eggs are off the menu in most parts of India.

The country's poultry industry, one of the world's largest, has already been hit with massive losses.

On Wednesday, the Indian parliament banned poultry products from its cafeterias.

Major airlines, the country's railway service and the army have all taken similar steps.

"We are not cooking poultry dishes but have put extra mutton and fish dishes on the menu," a parliamentary chef told the AFP news agency.

But other government officials are reassuring people that chicken and eggs are safe to eat if cooked properly.

Health officials served chicken dishes and ate them in front of the media at a scheduled news briefing on bird flu in the capital, Delhi, on Tuesday.

Slaughter

Teams of health workers have killed hundreds of thousands of birds around the town of Navapur.

Reports say the focus has now shifted to cleaning up the area after the mass slaughter.

But poultry traders and farmers say they are struggling after a sharp drop in sales.

One trader in the city of Mumbai (Bombay) distributed 2,000 chickens for free on Wednesday in an attempt to dispel fear.

Poultry exporters say they have already suffered more than $45m in losses and say exports have been badly hit, particularly to the Middle East.

The H5N1 virus does not pose a large-scale threat to humans, as it cannot pass easily from one person to another.

Experts, however, fear the virus could mutate to gain this ability, and in its new form trigger a flu pandemic, potentially putting millions of human lives at risk.

<DIV =footer>Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/south_asia/473980 0.stmPublished: 2006/02/22 18:25:05 GMT© BBC MMVI
corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 11:37pm
Check the date at the top of the page!   Feb. 22, 2006
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 11:50pm
getRssUrl()
RSS Feed
LANGUAGES
Last Updated: Monday, 20 February 2006, 12:00 GMT
Indian town reels as bird flu hits

By Monica Chadha
BBC News, Navapur

Chickens in Navapur farm
Nearly 900,000 chickens have to be slaughtered
Navapur is a tiny, underdeveloped town in the Indian state of Maharashtra that has got little attention for its many problems.

But now it is firmly on the map after the authorities confirmed on Saturday that it had recorded the first case of the H5N1 strain of bird flu in India.

Since then, government and health officials have been swarming the place, trying to control the spread of the deadly disease.

For years, the people of Navapur had to contend with bad roads, poor electricity and social issues such as deaths of children due to malnutrition.

Now they have to deal with bird flu - and many of them do not even know what it is, let alone how it is spread.

All areas within 3km (nearly 2 miles) of Navapur have been quarantined and 60 medical teams have been deployed in the area with a clear brief of slaughtering all the chickens - nearly 900,000 in number.

Farms empty

Men dressed in blue protective gear, wearing gloves, masks and dark glasses, move from one poultry farm to another, killing the birds as well as taking blood samples from some for further tests.

None of my chickens have died due to the disease and neither I nor my labourers suffer from any of the symptoms
Hashim Kursiwala
Poultry farmer
The poultry farms wear a deserted look as the chickens are killed and then buried in deep pits in the land nearby. The huge chicken sheds now only have bird feathers and waste to show for their recent inhabitants.

Shut and empty, they paint a woeful picture in the town that relies primarily on chicken-rearing for its livelihood.

Poultry farmers are still coming to terms with their loss.

Hashim Kursiwala had a flourishing poultry business until Saturday. Now, he is left with empty chicken sheds.

He believes that nothing is wrong with his chickens and to prove his point, moves around his last batch of live stock without a mask and handles them with naked hands.

Health officials in Navapur
Health officials have descended on the town
However, he had 10,000 birds slaughtered on his farm because "the authorities said so.

"There is no bird flu here. None of my chickens have died due to the disease and neither I nor my labourers suffer from any of the symptoms.

"Yet I must shut my business and now look at another means of livelihood," he laments.

He also said that although some farms may have reported cases of bird flu, not all have been affected - and the government should get the blood samples of chickens tested to ascertain which ones have.

Big loss

Other farmers are outraged at the media for giving a "bad picture of poultry business in Navapur" and blame them for their present situation.

The government has announced a compensation of about a dollar for each killed chicken but the farmers say that would not cover even 50% of their costs.

Navapur residents move around with a sense of apprehension and uncertainty: uncertain about what is happening or could happen to them - and most of all, unsure how to deal with the new situation.

Shops at the local market are open, with people buying groceries and going about their work as they would on any other day.

But further down the road, some people prefer to move around with handkerchiefs covering their nose and ears as a makeshift mask for protection against the disease.

Health scare

Parts of town - especially those near the chicken farms - are deserted, as most people have left their homes and moved to other areas as a safety precaution.

Navapur residents
Local residents are scared of contracting bird flu
College student Yogesh Shampi keeps his face covered at all times.

He is nervous about staying back but has no choice, as he has examinations due in a few days.

"My parents have been calling me, asking me to come home. I am afraid too and would like to leave Navapur as soon as possible, but the college won't let me.

"I must appear for the exam, even though I can't study for it because the mind is always thinking, what if I stayed on and got the bird flu?"

One of his classmates, Balwant Dawhade, is suffering from a cold and fever and fears the worst even though he has not been near a poultry farm and the doctors have assured him it is not bird flu.

"I am a little relieved after the doctors told me I am not suffering from bird flu but if I continue to stay here, then who knows? If I could, I would have left immediately."

The authorities already face the difficult task of handling the spread of bird flu detected for the first time in the country. They have to ensure that they have ample vaccines at hand and other measures in place to deal with any eventuality.

But dealing with the sceptics and explaining the gravity of the situation without creating panic may prove more difficult.

LINKS TO MORE SOUTH ASIA STORIES

< name=storyMenu =http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/openurl.pl method=post>

BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
Indian health minister urges public to stay calm

TOP SOUTH ASIA STORIES NOW

bannerwatch listenbannerbbc sportwatch listenAmericasAfricaEuropeMiddle EastSouth AsiaAsia Pacific
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 3:39am
Flupepper you are a time traveller but how about coming forward instead of
going backwards.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 4:05am
Why cant thay just tell us the truth!!! What do thay think well happen if thay do?I just dont understand them!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 4:10am

Harpmandoodle

Those articles about Navapur were released today. 

Please could you help me as I don't know how to upload articles and the one about WHO's convention announced today which starts today has  dissapeared off WHO's website and I still have them on my computer. They are very significant articles announcing WHO's plans before and during a pandemic. Could you please help? Anybody?

mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:00am

fluprepper -

If you have an ibm - bring up the article on your computer - left click hold and drag down article release - right click on article select copy - go to this post and right click select paste - then edit if you want. Don't know how to upload into post either but above should help you get the article posted.  Sometimes articles can't be copied on net for some reason so one can select all - save to disk - import to a word processing program - then be edited, or sometimes they get saved as a picture format so can edit in a photo program and then import to word processing program.  This is probably a roundabout way of doing things - but works.

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:10am

Thanks mightymouse,

I did it! Brilliant

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:39am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:48am
Just down the from road from Bombay with over 12-million,
is Navapur, circled in red. There is no reason to think that this area, will not
have continuing problems in the near future.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:55am
Wild, migratory birds under surveillance in Navapur
[ Sunday, March 05, 2006 02:46:06 pmPTI >

Chartbuster DVD FREE for NRIs!
RSS Feeds| SMS NEWS to 8888 for latest updates

NAVAPUR: The Maharashtra Animal Husbandry Department, alongwith the
Gujarat government, Wildlife Institute of India (WII), Dehradun and
Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS), would prepare a surveillance plan
before declaring Navapur and adjoining Uchaal in Gujarat as free from
bird flu.

"We are preparing a surveillance plan with Gujarat government, WII and
BNHS. We will undertake extensive surveillance of areas earmarked to
have enough data on the prevailing conditions before declaring affected
areas bird flu free," Maharashtra State Animal Husbandry Commissioner
Bijay Kumar said.

These institutes will have surveillance of migratory birds, wild birds and
the farm poultry.

"We will do the observation on poultry birds in the 20 km radius around
the affected region. There is an interlinking factor between the migratory
birds and poultry birds. Hence the surveillance is required," Kumar said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1438583.cms
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 6:02am

fluprepper-

Good job.  You can edit out all the unnecessary stuff once your get it into post.  Left click hold & drag the portion to you don't want - then right click on where you dragged and delete.

Rick- Thanks again for all your postings.  Being informed is half the battle.

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 9:38am
could you imagine if Bombay had  BF H2H break out??? It's too close for comfort.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 6:11am
Outbreak of bird flu restricted to Navapur: BNHS

Monday, March 13, 2006 05:36:02 pm

MUMBAI: The preliminary study conducted by the Bombay Natural History
Society (BNHS) at the wetlands in Nandurbar district of Maharashtra has
not found avian influenza among migratory and wild birds and revealed
that the outbreak of bird flu was restricted only to the poultry farms in
Navapur taluka.

The study also found that there was no mortality among wild birds,
especially in Navapur and Nandurbar Taluka.

The BNHS team monitored 10 wetlands in Nandurbar, two wetlands in
Nasik and two wetlands in Aurangabad districts. The study was carried
out from February 20 to 26.

"We concluded this (absence of avian influenza virus) on the basis of
several factors - all the poultry farms are more than 10 km away from the
reservoirs, except in Nandurbar town," the survey team leader Girish
Jathar said.

"We did not come across any dead or sick wild birds during our survey
period and enquiries with fishermen and local people revealed no
mortality among wild birds," he said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1447924.cms
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 7:50am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 6:52am

http://www.business-standard.com/bsonline/storypage.php?
bKeyFlag=BO&autono=14647
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 6:55am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:30am
Expressindia.com

Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Close this window 
Nation

New bird flu cases reported in Maharashtra

Reuters

New Delhi, March 14: India said on Tuesday that it had detected a fresh outbreak of avian influenza in Maharashtra, the scene of the country's first brush with the virus last month.

"Several poultry samples were received towards the end of February. Some of these samples have tested positive for avian influenza (H5)," a government statement said.

Officials said that they were checking whether the latest outbreak was of the deadly H5N1 strain that has killed dozens of people elsewhere in the world.

They said four villages in Jalgaon district in Maharashtra were affected by the outbreak.

Jalgaon is a district away from Nandurbar, where an outbreak of the deadly H5N1 strain was reported.

Hundreds of thousands of chicken were culled in Navapur and neighbouring areas after that outbreak, and the authorities said last week they had contained the virus there.

In Jalgaon, the government said it would start the culling of chicken in the area.

"In these four villages, control and prevention actions will be started," Animal Husbandry Joint Secretary Upma Chawdhry told a news conference.

After the Navapur outbreak, India tested more than 100 people for bird flu but all the results proved negative.

The government said it would step up surveillance of residents of the four villages in Jalgaon.

URL: http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=64392

< = src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

Expressindia | The Indian Express | The Financial Express | Screen
Kashmir Live | Loksatta | Lokprabha

About Us | Advertise With Us | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Labelled with ICRA
© 2005: Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd. All rights reserved throughout the world.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:41am
Fresh outbreak of bird flu reported in Maharashtra

Press Trust of India

New Delhi, March 14, 2006

The Government on Tuesday said bird flu cases in four areas in Maharashtra have been reported and ordered culling of 75,000 birds in the region to prevent its spread.

"We have decided to cull 75,000 birds following confirmation of bird flu cases," Joint Secretary in the Department of Animal Husbandry Upma Chawdhry told reporters.

She said 50 Rapid Response Teams will be deployed to monitor and provide assistance  in the areas around Jalgaon in Maharashtra.

Quarantine area is spread over 1,250 sq kms around the area.

In reply to a query, Chawdhry said one of the four cases related to commercial poultry and all of them were pertaining to backyard poultry.

She said the samples were sent to the Bhopal laboratory on February 25 for tests. 

No case of bird flu in humans has been detected till now, the official said.

Meanwhile, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said there was no need to panic.

Printed From <>window.print();
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:48am
What ever happened to the 3,500 people in India who were ill (I think that number also included the approximately 70 prisoners) a week or so ago?  That story seems to have vanished.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic