Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Bug Out Where?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bug Out Where?
    Posted: July 07 2013 at 3:45pm
I am reading One Second After and I am asking myself where do people think they are going to go? If you don't have a home that you own in the country where it is totally secured I have no idea where people think they are going to go???

No matter if it is a pandemic, EMP, or whatever you have no chance on the road. If you lived in the country and a bunch of city people came to your door because they have no food and water in the city what do you think the country people will do? Give you their food and water!!

So here you are in the country with no shelter, no food, no water, and no way to keep warm. Better off at home even if you die there at least you are at home!

In the book the Government People are telling the citizens to go to small towns out of the city. Gee who is dumb enough to listen to the Government?

I am sure there will be gangs looking to take whatever they can get from the burbs and the country but unless they are carful they can get shot if they hit the wrong house.

So some one tell me why unless you have no shelter in the city why you would leave your home?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 4:48pm
If I thought it was safe to do so, I'd definitely hole up here in the city because this is where my preps are. If things got really bad though (and I don't think it would take much for things to turn ugly in a big way) I'd bug out in our RV and get away from major population centers. I'd rather not - I have a lot of stuff and being alone out on the road is not where I'd ideally want to be - but it's an option.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 4:50pm

if yer gonna bug out

make sure you do it early

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eym4PwHmUvI

if you panic when the rest of the sheep do

you may not make it out

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 5:04pm
If anybody gets enough warning, it's going to be people on sites like this Wink
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

I am reading One Second After and I am asking myself where do people think they are going to go? If you don't have a home that you own in the country where it is totally secured I have no idea where people think they are going to go???

No matter if it is a pandemic, EMP, or whatever you have no chance on the road. If you lived in the country and a bunch of city people came to your door because they have no food and water in the city what do you think the country people will do? Give you their food and water!!

So here you are in the country with no shelter, no food, no water, and no way to keep warm. Better off at home even if you die there at least you are at home!

In the book the Government People are telling the citizens to go to small towns out of the city. Gee who is dumb enough to listen to the Government?

I am sure there will be gangs looking to take whatever they can get from the burbs and the country but unless they are carful they can get shot if they hit the wrong house.

So some one tell me why unless you have no shelter in the city why you would leave your home?
Do you really think sitting in your house while the security situation deteriorates around you in the city without power or water and a limited amount of food is a good idea? Those who stay will become increasingly desperate as food and water become scarce. Do you think they will want to know why your front door is locked and what you have as they go house to house pillaging and scavenging? What will you do when the house down the block catches fire and spreads house to house as there will be no one to put it out? Lots of reasons to leave, very very few reasons to stay when the cities become unsustainable.

LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

If I thought it was safe to do so, I'd definitely hole up here in the city because this is where my preps are. If things got really bad though (and I don't think it would take much for things to turn ugly in a big way) I'd bug out in our RV and get away from major population centers. I'd rather not - I have a lot of stuff and being alone out on the road is not where I'd ideally want to be - but it's an option.

That may be true but you'd rather be alone out in the middle of nowhere if SHTF than be in a city with lots of uninvited guests stopping by whenever I'd wager. Sounds and smells will give you away if your cooking food or running a generator in a populated area and will draw those who do not have those things, and since most homes are non defensible to begin with that then makes security that much harder. 

There must be some areas you know that are out of the way with a low population base. Find a dead end dirt/gravel road in BFE with no houses on it and drop a few trees in the road to block it off and keep vehicles out and make camp.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 9:01pm
That would be plan B if it got really bad, but I'd have to be sure the city was all but lost to looters with no rule of law before I'd abandon ship and leave behind most of what I own. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but it would be my last option and one of the main reason I've put up with my neighbors bitching about my old RV and kept the old girl.
The scene in "Independence Day" when Will Smith is dragging the alien across the desert always comes to mind when I think of bugging out in her
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 9:58pm
I live in Colorado and it gets cold here in the winter and you need shelter and warmth. I will defend my home as best I can since I have my food, and water preps here. I live within 5 miles of lots of water so I can and will have water even if I have to walk to it with my wagon. That will be after most people will have left or died. I have a capacity of 6 months so I will stay put for that long.

I have just purchased a sprinkler for my roof so IF we have water pressure that will be used for fire. That is iffy but I have it just in case.

I agree with Jacksdad, I just do not see leaving unless I HAVE to leave like a fire, earthquake (not likely but can happen in Colorado), of if Yellowstone blows forget it Colorado is in big trouble, or some unforeseen problem. That is why I have BOB's for myself and my son who most likely will have to get home from college with his BOB if TSHTF.

If you live far enough south you can survive a winter but not here in Colorado or any of the northern states you have to prep for the winter and hold up. I have purchased equipment to fell my own trees, saw into logs then split. And I do not mean a gas chainsaw I have a two man saw and all the other equipment. I do not want to depend on gas for anything.

An RV is an ok idea but after you can't get gas or propane we would die of the cold and an RV can't hold enough food to stay alive long.

As I watch Mountain Men on the history channel they live on the edge every year and they KNOW what they are doing. All I can say if things get so bad we are all going to have a hard time surviving at home, on the run, or in a survival home.
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 11:48pm
I think being flexible in your plans is important as there are far too many unknown variables to take into account to be rigid and locked into any one position or plan when it comes to SHTF plans. Better to be able to react as the situation dictates with several options than be rigid and locked into a plan of action regardless of the situation. 
cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 1:22am
In a minor type incident. Shelter in place is the way to go, but you need to understand when the right time to bug out comes. I agree don't go too late. 

If you identify that in the foreseeable future no activity with food supply and or gas delivery. Its time to go. It would only be about a week before people would come knocking and about two before they will kill you for food. You want to be long gone and set up before then. 

I also heard an issue with people being stopped going certain places in a crisis. IE road blocks, so have an alternate route which wont be guarded. IE Fire trail or farmers paddocks etc

Two things you should hoard now is fuel and non perishable food. Actually..Go out and buy Gas now! minimum 200+ litres in 50-80L drums also 3 months food staples for ten men, Rice etc? Try to buy stuff you normally eat. 

Bugging out is difficult when you have towns every where. My advice is to bug out far from major centers. You will need high capacity tanks or drums. Then hide in the back country very well hidden. Water and food will become an issue, so think river and hunting. 

Think of taking like minded friends too. Ones who wont flip out and preference for ones that can hunt. A network will help a lot. You need some friends to cover your back. You will have to store enough food to keep them fed for three months. 

Its the harshed thing to say, but dont take un productive mouths to feed. Tough decisions will have to be made. leaving elderly to fend for them selves. this is part of the reason for leaving early too.

Totally love the idea about felling trees! awesome!

Its like playing chess. Think one move ahead of others and you will be right. 

I haven't told you about one strategy for getting away because i don't want it published. But just think of what other will do and do different!!!

Good luck all
cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 1:33am
I forgot to say an important thing. If you are in these remote locations and have set up camp. Have several cache's of food and fuel. Roaming savages may extort you for food at gunpoint. 
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 6:30am

interesting blog post

people bugging out because they foresee the collapse of the economy

Bugging Out of the D.C. Burbs

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2013-07-07/guest-post-bugging-out-dc-burbs

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 8:53am
Like I said when you have very cold winters you don't have much of a choice unless you have a bug out place in the mountains. Then you do not have much of a growing season to keep alive for a long term stay. I think you have to go with your gut as to if or when you leave.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 1:00pm
I would like to suggest, if you plan to bug out that you have an in depth plan. Where you are going, how much gas it will take to get there, what kind of shelter you will need, supplies needed, etc.Plan four or five routes to your final destination and drive them so you are familiar with them. Also, if you are not already an avid hunter/fisher/backpacker you may want to consider taking a survival course. There are schools all over the country so take one in the area you plan to bug out to. This will get you familiar with the terrain, native habitat, etc.
Buy more ammo!
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 3:17pm
I should think that people were paying attention to what happened in New Orleans during Katrina and the social break down and lack of services and basic emergency services that occurred in that city and use that as a low level example as to what is possible should a major event happen that is wide spread. And I would add that Katrina was a regional event of limited duration.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 7:16pm
Yep, I wish I had a place to go to but here in Colorado people will be at their mountain homes or their ranch homes on the plains and they will have to defend them also.   I really do not want to try and dump out a family out of their property. A long term disaster will be no fun.
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 7:47pm
Flumom  I don't know about in Colorado but here in the PNW there are quite a few small cell tower buildings that are concrete and have a 10 foot fence with razor wire around the top. They are up on high ground and in out of the way places for the most part. I'm sure SHTF that should someone occupy one of those structures nothing would be said because it's SHTF who is going to do anything about it when the cell phones most likely won't be working anyway. Hypothetically speaking a big pair of bolt cutters and a good pry bar would get you in the fence and the structure and don't forget to bring a couple small lengths of stout chain and a couple locks to be able to re-secure it, hypothetically speaking of course. A fenced perimeter and a concrete structure is pretty defensible relatively speaking. A ice fishing stove and a couple lengths of stove pipe ran through a vent and you have wood heat. SHTF you'll need to think outside the box and do what is needed. There are always options.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 9:02pm
If cities emptied out the surrounding rural households would have about 600 houseguests each. This has already been calculated by emergency management. They know it will not work. I live in a very rural setting and I have been told my house will burn. The advice was head to the woods and dig a hole. You can't fight you must hide.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 9:09pm

http://shtfschool.com/

Selco survived the Balkan war

one of the things he emphasized the most was that

individuals are not gonna last long

an individual family is not gonna last long

in order to survive a major collapse

people of like minds will HAVE to band together

LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

If cities emptied out the surrounding rural households would have about 600 houseguests each. This has already been calculated by emergency management. They know it will not work. I live in a very rural setting and I have been told my house will burn. The advice was head to the woods and dig a hole. You can't fight you must hide.

That may be true of the east coast as it has a high population density, but out west there is a hell of a lot of area that isn't populated and 80% of the US lives within 60 miles of the coast, the majority of which live in cities.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 10:33pm
To me a bugout location is somewhere you can go to if things get so bad you are not safe staying in your own home.  Hopefully, it is the house of a relative or friend.

I hope people aren't crazy enough to think they can last long in the wilderness.

A country home isn't safe either because if someone should get access into your home, then you could be tortured for days and no one would hear you screaming.

I just hope that our society doesn't break down that badly.  I think there will be hot spots in some of our largest cities, but I think most people will be OK right where they are.  I would be worried if I lived in D.C., Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 3:20am
The wife and I live in a rural area here in upstate NY..Bugging out for me would not be a option..We are both in our middle 50's and through the many years that we lived here have established a nice homestead..Hope and pray that If things really become that horrible that we wont have to live through it..so bugging out is no option for me as I would rather go down with the fort so to speak like they did in Battle of the Alamo..
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 8:59am
coyote, I am in my mid 60's so I agree with you too old to bug out. I am "hardening" my house as best I can. I have had 3M Security film put on my house on all my windows including my second floor. Window guy thought I was a little nuts for putting it on my second floor but it only cost me $400.00 more. By the end of the summer I will have plywood for all my windows cut, labeled, with hangers put on so they are easy to install fast.

I have hardened my doors as best I can and will continue to look for more ways to harden my house.

Also have a roof sprinkler system and if I have water pressure it will help keep fire from my house.

Like you I will go down at the Alamo. I also hope to organize my neighbors so I will be putting in more rice and beans to help feed all of them by mid fall. Safety in numbers when TSHTF.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 9:40am
Good For you Flumom..I like what your doing and my best to you! Speaking of doors, we took out one of our window pane doors and replaced it with a solid door..Any way sounds like you and me are hardened and wont go down without a fight. Prep on girl.. Coyote   PS: I love the show Mountain Men on the history channel..
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
WildKarma View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildKarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 10:04am
I wouldn't want to bug out. I have the place that people would want to have if they bugged out. For me, it would be more of a matter of working with my neighbors to protect the assets. With my high tunnels and cleared garden, I have the capacity to grow food for our neighborhood. I am tucked away too.
Littleraven View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 5:45pm
To my thinking, staying put is the best option unless it's overwhelmingly more dangerous to stay.  Always have the option of leaving open but remember our distant ancestors were able to survive because they worked together. This way they didn't have to throw out unproductive members and run out into the wilderness with no other thought in their heads than hoping their dried deer lasted until they found a cave. FluMom is right; Where do people think they are bugging out to? Defense is the best tactic and numbers keep you from having to resort to being a one "man" army. Staying self-sustaining in both supplies and potential defense of property is the only way in which anyone can sit in place for long periods of time and that means defense of your home ground from predators. I believe that some of these people who have organized together (while keeping a low profile) in order to help each other in case of difficulties are the smart ones.  
There's a Bad Moon on the Rise
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 6:25pm
I agree there is strength in numbers to a point however that being said an organized group in a out of the way rural area is going to have less issues security wise than a group in urban or suburban area simply due to there being less people around to be a security threat. If it makes you feel better you can think otherwise but if SHTF, reality and survival will be based on facts not feelings.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 8:04pm
I have a good group of neighbors on my cul-de-sac one cop, 3 nurses, a lady who cards her own wool and weaves, a man that can repair furniture, an engineer, a concrete guy and 2 who don't have much to add but will fit in and help where they can. As I finish doing a few things this summer and fall I will be putting in more rice and beans.

If we had an EMP or any long term SHTF situation, I would get these people together explain our situation and get them to work together. We are lucky I have seeds and we have a field behind our homes to plant food. I would get latrines built for each home. I have plans for long term SHTF for our small group even though they don't know it.

They are all intelligent people and I have the ability to make plenty of potable water for all and that will be important. I will have enough food in the next few months to get them through until spring food. So I will not bug out unless I am burned out or nuked out.

I hope I have a good situation just have to see if we have a long term problem.

So Lopper I agree with you there is something to say for numbers.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 8:29pm
FluMom,

Do you have some walkie-talkies so that you and your neighbor's can talk to each while out on a security patrol?  The critical thing here is to get your neighbors to actually take turns patrolling the neighborhood when things break down.

You might also make a pact with your son that nobody, and I mean nobody, is allowed into your home for any reason, not even friends or relatives.  You sound like a good hearted person by buying food for the neighbors, but I wouldn't go so far as to trust any of them, ever.  People at work backstab each other all the time in order to gain a promotion or just gain favor with the boss.   Therefore, you better realize that people will take whatever you have when times get desperate without any concern for you.
cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 11:46pm
Just listen to Selco talk about what happens in a real SHTF event. It really just reaffirmed many of my thoughts. However the detail of what happens is brutal and has obviously effected him and the entire community. He says it happened 20 years ago and is still effecting the community today.

Thanks for putting me on to it.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 12:55pm
Who is Selco?  Do you have a link?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 5:32pm
FluMom,

Do you have some walkie-talkies so that you and your neighbor's can talk to each while out on a security patrol? The critical thing here is to get your neighbors to actually take turns patrolling the neighborhood when things break down.

You might also make a pact with your son that nobody, and I mean nobody, is allowed into your home for any reason, not even friends or relatives. You sound like a good hearted person by buying food for the neighbors, but I wouldn't go so far as to trust any of them, ever. People at work backstab each other all the time in order to gain a promotion or just gain favor with the boss.   Therefore, you better realize that people will take whatever you have when times get desperate without any concern for you.

Hi Elver,

Yes I have 2 walkie talkies need to get a couple of more at Walmart so we have at least 4 for the neighborhood...good suggestion.

Yes my son know not to let anyone into our home. He has been taught what my mother taught me, "People will take bread out of your children's mouths to put into their children's mouths and they will kill you to do that."

Thank you for your advice!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

FluMom,

Do you have some walkie-talkies so that you and your neighbor's can talk to each while out on a security patrol? The critical thing here is to get your neighbors to actually take turns patrolling the neighborhood when things break down.

You might also make a pact with your son that nobody, and I mean nobody, is allowed into your home for any reason, not even friends or relatives. You sound like a good hearted person by buying food for the neighbors, but I wouldn't go so far as to trust any of them, ever. People at work backstab each other all the time in order to gain a promotion or just gain favor with the boss.   Therefore, you better realize that people will take whatever you have when times get desperate without any concern for you.

Hi Elver,

Yes I have 2 walkie talkies need to get a couple of more at Walmart so we have at least 4 for the neighborhood...good suggestion.

Yes my son know not to let anyone into our home. He has been taught what my mother taught me, "People will take bread out of your children's mouths to put into their children's mouths and they will kill you to do that."

Thank you for your advice!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 5:34pm
Ok so I don't know how to do the quote post thing so I posted this twice...sorry guys!
John Doe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 7:19pm
becoming a refugee is the last thing you w http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_s/toolbar_separator.gifant to  do ever. Neighbors can form armies. Well armed militias as cities become divided.  Whoever said dont bring useless feeders, would be the first out of any group I was in. Everyone can become a useless feeder, if there is such a thing, I believe elderly AND handicapped have a lot to teach, my father could no longer garden but he could talk and tell someone how to grow food from a rock. They were alive and survived before modern technology their brain will be worth more then all the computers that will no longer work. Disabled people have to learn ways to survive that can be of tremendous importance.
That type of talk is exactly what makes society decline when you can walk away from your grandparents or anyone else in need is the first step in turning society into the horror story you all want to avoid. You cant choose what someone else does, you can choose what you do. If everyone chooses to help, cooperate then we as a civilization stand a chance. I am not saying be stupid, you wouldnt allow a stranger in your home now, I dont advocate doing so then, but the neighbor you may not help to feed, may be the one who has the back to plow four or five yards for growing land. There will be jerks then as there are now, maybe no law or jails to deal with them, so a group of wise well intended people will indeed need one another. I also maintain and always have that uprooting is tough under the absolute best circumstances, let alone the worst. No thanks to being holed up halfway to nowhere when the bad guys catch up to you, because they will, they will be the worst of the worst the ones who have killed, raped and stolen all along the way. The lone wolf is gonna want a army then. Those bad dudes dont want to die either, they will pass up the well organized neighbors that have one or two or ten former military who have formed guards in chamo, some will be buried underground waiting to come up when the bad guys walk right over them, never suspecting there is a army waiting. That old WW2 soldier the worthless eater that was left behind, taught the sub division boys how to do that.  Then when the bad boys loose a couple of their bad assed leaders they realize when it comes to life and death that four eyed grocery store manager can be taught to shoot straight and has no intentions of handing over his food, daughters or home, he is backed up by a hundred more in the subdivision like him.
In kind there is somewhere on the internet a story written by the mountain men to the city fellas who think they are going to invade their territory in a bug out attempt, they tell Mr. City Dweller, we know every inch of these mountains we have played in them as babies, we have hunted them since we were kids, there is no place you can hide, you will have to come out of where your holed up eventually and when you do, we are patient we will be waiting. No one likes being used, unless you posses all the survival skills that living off the land requires you wont live a minute longer in the country then you will in the city. Each location has it benefits.
Making assumptions is the stupidest thing anyone can do. Placing value on a person aka judging a book by its cover was something we were taught as kids was both stupoid and wrong. Learn from the past, do he right thing, deal accordingly with those who do not. In our group, we make a point to help heach other, each does according to his ability, no one is worthless unless they refuse to do their part.  As a final warning to you all about those who talk worthless feeders, they are not some bad ass who can make a tough choice, they are a jack ass who makes the easy choice to cover their own ass, its all about them, one day it will come down to your family or him, now who do you think he is gonna choose?
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 5:37am
Very well put
WHAT TO DO????
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by John Doe John Doe wrote:

becoming a refugee is the last thing you w Then when the bad boys loose a couple of their bad assed leaders they realize when it comes to life and death that four eyed grocery store manager can be taught to shoot straight and has no intentions of handing over his food, daughters or home, he is backed up by a hundred more in the subdivision like him.

First and foremost: Paragraphs.
Second: Register.

I agree with most of what you said here. This paragraph, however, is wrong. If you're not practicing shooting to be proficient at it, I hate to be "That Guy," but after Defecation hits Oscillation, it's fargone too late to be teaching him to shoot. He should be learning to shoot *NOW!* I'm not going to give a gun to a totally untrained person and then worry about finding rounds for him to put downrange in practice that would be better spent in the magazine of someone that already knows how to shoot.

Shooting is a skill that must be honed. It's not something that you can pick up tomorrow and even make a paltry attempt at beating someone like me because he "Believes In Himself." Not only do I shoot about 1000 rounds a month, but take part in Tactical, 3-gun, and NRA Highpower matches, and takes classes in urban rifle.

Second: If he is skill-less, he is little more than a laborer and mouth. If you're not a shooter, you should get another skill. I have three brothers, three of us are avid shooters. One isn't. He's an Emergency Doctor. That's an invaluable skill. I have Paramedic, and have worked as an electrician and plumber. My immediately younger brother is a metal worker, engineer, and worked at a small engine place for a number of years. Useful skills that very, very few have.

If the four eyed guy in your premise can do something other than pick rocks and be a schlub, great. That's not how society these days works, however. Most of these people are going to be walking around with a hand out looking to get something for nothing, and if they can't get that, they'll try to take it with force. That's why now is the time to network with skilled and like minded people.

Originally posted by John Doe John Doe wrote:

As a final warning to you all about those who talk worthless feeders, they are not some bad ass who can make a tough choice, they are a jack ass who makes the easy choice to cover their own ass, its all about them, one day it will come down to your family or him, now who do you think he is gonna choose?

He'll make the same choice everyone else did. The difference is that he's a grasshopper and I'm an ant. He thinks that because I and my people have been prepping and getting ready that he's entitled to his share of my hard work, and doesn't have to bring anything to the table as a reason for me and my people to keep him around. This isn't some kind of Karl Marx utopia, Everyone based on their ability to everyone based on their need. If they've got ability and aren't using it, why should I fill their needs?

While I agree that everyone's got some worth, sometimes their requirements will far outweigh their usefulness. What you do with that is your call to make. Me personally, I look at it as, Is this person worth keeping around? (This can include someone that might not have good intentions) Are they family?

After that, if they've got no usefulness, they can keep on walking. I'm not going to let some useless, fat bastard that won't even put in the time to get in shape now or get a useful skill overcrowd my lifeboat and kill us all.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 1:48pm
I believe that everyone should help with what they can, but I don't believe that you should let anyone in your home.  There is a huge difference between helping and letting them simply walk in!
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

I believe that everyone should help each other, but I don't believe that you should let anyone in your home.  There is a huge difference between helping and letting them simply walk in!
It's rather simple if you boil it down. Will you give food to strangers or feed your family? Remember SHTF there will be no resupply. Everyone will make their own choices no doubt but they will have to live and die with those choices.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 1:58pm
Elver, Did you read Slatewiper? As I remember the author gushed a little over the main character. I hate that. Let the reader figure it out. The WW2 history was terrible. I wonder if the virology part is kosher. I just finished Mars by Ben Bova and found Return to Mars on the bookshelf when I put it back.
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 3:12pm
We've been looking round our neighborhood and trying to identify people who have skills that would be useful. There is one guy who has reasonable ex military skills but he is over weight and unfit, has a totally useless wife who just shops all day and they have 4 young children. We've weighed it up and for all his skills it's not worth feeding 6 mouths to get them. Him being so out of condition doesn't help either. 

This may sound harsh and cold, but what would you do?
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 3:24pm
So you live is a city/ suburb? The question isn't then what should you do per say. But rather what will your neighbor do when his children are starving? Now estimate how many families/people are within a 5 mile radius of yourself that would be in the same situation your neighbor is in. Remember the premise of this thread, bug out where, why leave the cities?  I think you have the answer.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 3:39pm
Yes, Lopper but I would be in a starvation situation fast if I left my home with a BOB...can't carry that much food. If you are in a car people can pick you off for any food you have in the car. Heck, that is what I would do, sit on the hill with cover and shoot people in loaded up cars.

I would rather deal with the fat guy with 4 kids from my fortified house than outside of my house. Sad but I would have no problem shooting all of them if I had to but to be out on the road is not my idea of how to survive.
Alive View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 2:16pm
Im looking into a small 26 to 30' sailboat, a with a desalination device and a few solar panel's and a small wind turbine. Let the Idiots shoot it out....
Gone Fishing!
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 2:40pm
Arghh ever hear of pirates there matey?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic